GRIECO JUMPS ONTO BIG SCREEN

BY HEATHER McLATCHIE

Imagine being mistaken for a top CIA agent and ordered to save the European Economic Community. You'd bail. Right? Unless, of course, you're Richard Grieco and have a movie to do.

Grieco, that pretty face from Fox TV's 21 Jump Street and Booker, graduates to feature films with If Looks Could Kill, now playing in area theaters. Grieco abandons his brooding Booker persona to play Michael Corben, a Michigan high school student.

The movie opens at Corben's graduation, where he finds, to his dismay, he's one credit short of a diploma. Seems he seldom appeared in French 1301. He has two ways to fullfill the requirement:

Wait until the fall semester for the one class,

or join the French Club on a study trip to France.

Hard choice, eh?

While all of this is happening in Corben's small world, European diplomats are being assassinated and the CIA is called in to help. Roger Daltrey, in a great two-minute cameo, is the doomed British agent, Blade.

Meanwhile, back in the United States the French club has swarmed the airport. As fate would have it, that same airport is the departure point for the top CIA gun. As fate would doubly have it, his name is also Michael Corben. The agent is killed before he gets out of the airport.

The adolescent Corben literally falls into the role of the undercover agent. He sits first class on the plane to France, while his teacher and classmates are bewildered in coach. At the airport, he is whisked away by British Intelligence and introduced to all of his necessary spy gadgets, some of which rival 007's.

Explosive chewing gum, suction cup high tops and a candy apple red Lotus are just a few of the perks of his new job.

His mission is to protect Augustus Teranko, head of the EEC, from assassination. Steranko, however, isn't who he seems, as Corben will ultimately realize.

If Looks Could Kill is a lighthearted twist on the James Bond theme, combined with the Die Hard aspects of fiery explosions, witticisms uttered between bursts of machine gunfire and one man against it all.

Grieco adapts easily to the role of the easy-going Corben. At first bewildered by his mistaken identity, he eventually turns it around to make it work to his best advantage.

The cast seem to be having a great time with each of their roles. Roger Rees, in a departure from his Cheers' persona of Robin Colcord, is wonderful as the conniving Steranko. Linda Hunt, in a complete about face from her usually serious roles, plays Steranko's henchwoman, Ilsa. Model Gabrielle Anwar makes her film debut as Blade's daughter, Marishka, out to avenge her father's death.

The screenplay by Darren Star, based on a story by Fred Dekker, presents a new character in an old setting and brings the comedic action adventure to a younger audience. Director William Dear (Harry and the Hendersons) lets his actors enjoy their roles to the hilt, almost to the point of camp. He passes off the beauty of Montreal and the countryside as France with great ease.

If you're looking for a light-hearted, funny, action adventure with a certain sexy someone, or even if you're not, check out If Looks Could Kill.

********************************************************

OUT OF TIME: NEW R.E.M. OFFERS BEST OF 90s

BY DARRIN SCHLEGEL

From early on it was apparent that R.E.M., now in the midst of a highly succesful 10-year recording career, would not compromise its music.

With each succesive album in the '80s, the band's popularity soared to new heights, adding new legions of fans to an already swelling underground of "in" crowds. Critics gushed likewise, boldly proclaiming the boys from Athens "America's Best Rock and Roll Band."

And while that title may well be presumptuous, dubious at best, the fact remains that R.E.M.'s reputation for crafting sincere, evocative albums, and putting on one hell of a live show, has been well earned.

Yet, from the enigmatic electric folk of Murmur to the guitar-driven pop of Green, the band has steadfastly refused to acknowledge any critical or commercial expectations thrust upon it.

Quite simply, it's R.E.M.'s way or no way.

And it's exactly this stubborn, do-it-yourself attitude that makes Out of Time, the band's seventh and best LP to date, the most focused and complete album the '90s has offered.

The work combines the mood weaving of Murmur, the exploratory melange of Reckoning and Fables of the Reconstruction, and the freewheeling guitar crunch of Lifes Rich Pageant with the tight, structured format of the songs heard on Document and Green.

In a sense, singer Michael Stipe and company's latest effort can be seen as a selective trip through their past six albums.

Musically, the band's lushness and texture has never been more evident than on the 11 songs heard here. Each instrument, ranging from mandolin to flugelhorn, is given full measure by R.E.M. and coproducer Scott Litt.

Guitarist Peter Buck, bassist Mike Mills and drummer Bill Berry, fresh off a Hindu Love Gods' blues orgy with Warren Zevon, are back with trademark jangling guitars and the tight, rhythmic tug that has characterized much of their music.

And Stipe's raspy, resonant vibrato has never sounded more emotionally charged.

Thematically, Out of Time paints a bleak picture of people at emotional and spiritual crossroads ("Losing My Religion," "Low," and "Half a World Away") while holding out for hopeful new beginnings ("Shiny Happy People," "Belong").

In the Moody Blues-like "Texarkana," Stipe sums up the despair and sense of things falling apart that pervades the work when he sings, "Walking through the woods I have faced it/Looking for something to learn/30,000 thoughts have been wasted/Never had the time to return," then breaks into the chorus, "I would give my life to find it/I would give it all/Catch me if I fall," and finally, "All alone/Waiting to cry."

The music on Out of Time sounds upbeat and positive for the most part, however, the lyrics suggest otherwise.

But that's nothing new. R.E.M. has always chosen to suggest instead of spell out, leaving the listener to interpret whatever can be deciphered from Stipe's veiled vocals.

With Out of Time, R.E.M., once college-radio perennial and champion of the underground, has reached a new plateau. The stunning emotional sweep and the sheer, exuberant musicality of the LP is above and beyond anything the four have recorded, not to mention light years ahead of the competition.

If anything, though, Out of Time is testament to R.E.M.'s honest commitment to the art form and the conviction to do things its way. Not an easy task in the sales- and image-driven business of rock `n' roll.

******************************************************

ARCHI ART PROJECT TEACHES WOODWORKING, TEAMWORK

BY MICHELLE DUMAINE

Wooden sculptures on display at the Architecture building Friday did not include a Pinocchio puppet, but did include a man in a box, a knight and a dragon.

Paul Lodholz, a UH architecture professor, assigned 15 groups of graduate students to building the wooden sculptures.

The project's purpose was to make students familiar with characteristics of building materials and how materials can be worked, Lodholz said.

The dragon, standing four feet high and six feet wide, made of trianglar and spiral-shaped wood pieces, was judged best by Lodholtz.

Lynn Edmundson, a member of the first place group said, "It was a great project because we learned how to use tools, work with wood and especially, how to work with a group."

Faye Alleman, also a member of the winning group said, "We had a wonderful time -- sometimes people were grouchy and other times they would be laughing hysterically."

The man in a box sculpture, six feet high, four inches wide and one and one half feet thick, received second place.

This was a participatory piece of art, because you are able to walk through and engage it on a different level, Brandon Matthews, who was one of its creators, said. Also, you can feel the texture of the wood, instead of just looking at it, Matthew said.

Lodhloz said, "This project went well beyond my expectations. The students seriously and rigorously were involved with their sculpture."

"I do not think they learned how to construct a building, but they did learn how to use the materials," Lodholz said.

Geoffrey Wheeler, who was in the second place group said, "It was an interesting project. It brought the class together, but most importantly it helped to learn how to work within a group."

A third place ribbon went to a box sculpture, which contained cans of paint and stain, nails, screws and drowls. Frank Martarella, one of its creators, said he thought the project was intended to be fun, more than serious.

The box, which could be rocked back and forth, was the only sculpture designed for motion.

This was the first time Lodholz assigned the wood sculpture project. He said he wanted to try a different angle to arrive at the objective, which was to learn about the materials.

*******************************************************

COYER FLIES COUGAR COOP, HURT TAKES OVER DEFENSE

BY MIGUEL ZEPEDA

UH Head Football Coach John Jenkins announced that defensive coordinator Larry Coyer has resigned to take a position on the Ohio State football coaching staff.

Coyer will be replaced by defensive-line coach Ben Hurt.

Hurt began his career at UH in 1965. After six years coaching the defensive line under Bill Yeoman, he left only to return in 1984.

Jenkins, who was concerned about the development of a "revolving door of different personalities on the defense," didn't have to go far to fill Coyer's vacant position.

"There's a lot of great coaches around, but there's none so enthusiastic and excited everyday, as Ben Hurt," Jenkins said.

Jenkins said he skipped a nation-wide search because he needed someone who knows the Run-and-Shoot.

"Ben knows the rhythm of our offense, the way we go out and put points on people. He understands what it's going to take defensively to mesh the thing together," Jenkins said.

Jenkins also announced that Melvin Robertson was hired to complete his defensive staff.

Robertson coached at Dallas MacArthur High School last season.

"Melvin's got a great reputation in pro football, college football and high school football here in Texas as one of the top defensive coaches in the country," Jenkins said.

Both Hurt and Robertson have coached at Texas A&M and under Yeoman.

Hurt said he hated to see Coyer go, but was savoring the opportunity given to him.

"I'm real excited, big time excited," Hurt said. "We've got a great defensive staff overall with Melvin Robertson coming back here."

TENNIS, BASEBALL HAVE BIG WEEKEND

BY SHELLY ARTELLO

The Lady Cougar tennis team was busy last Thursday winning its first Southwest Conference match of the season against Texas Tech.

The Lady Coogs came off their winning high quickly, though, when they lost to Texas Christian Saturday.

They won eight matches against Texas Tech, only giving up one singles match. But they could pull out only one singles match against TCU.

"We were up in some, made comebacks in others, but didn't pull them out," Assistant Coach Stina Almgren said about the TCU match. "We have to pull it together in singles."

The weekend put the tennis team at 2-8 overall and 1-4 in the conference.

Houston has been struggling with confidence all season, taking seven quick losses after winning their first match against Lamar.

"They're good, they just have to believe it themselves,"Almgren said. "When they start to believe it, then they'll start to win."

The team's outlook on the season has changed from last season because it is no longer the underdog. There hasn't been pressure, but more fear in the players, Almgren said.

"What pressure you have on yourself, comes from yourself," she said. "They can take what we say as pressure or take it as motivation. You can only put pressure on yourself."

The Lady Coogs will be hosting Southern Methodist Wednesday at John Hoff Courts.

"It's time for us to turn it around," she said. "SMU will be tough, we will need to play well to win. If we pull that one out, we will turn things around for us."

The Cougar baseball team traveled to Ruston, La., for a tough series with Louisiana Tech. Houston won two of the three games.

UH Head Coach Bragg Stockton was pleased with his team's performance against the tough Louisiana team.

"Louisiana Tech has a good ball club, to take two out of the three games is good," Stockton said.

Senior Al Benavides got the first win on Saturday pitching 52/3 innings. Houston won 3-2 with its last two runs coming in the seventh inning in a do or die situation.

Benavides went in the game with the Cougar's down 0-2 after the first inning and held Louisiana Tech runless the rest of the game.

"Benavides is our man," Stockton said. "He's our stopper."

The day's second game brought much the same action with Houston going up 1-0 in the fifth inning. Louisiana Tech stepped up to the plate its final time in the seventh, hitting in two runs to win the game 2-1.

"We got a good effort, but we gave away the middle game," Stockton said. "We had it won, but late in the game we let them beat us."

Sunday's game seemed a little easier winning by two runs, 3-1. Freshman Jason Hart got his third win of the season pitching five of the nine innings.

"The games were close," Stockton said on the weekend. "Both teams had good tight pitching and defense."

MOST SA RACES IN RUNOFFS

FROM STAFF REPORTS

About 2,370 students voted Wednesday and Thursday, electing a student regent and sending other Students' Association candidates into run-offs, Election Commissioner Albert Holden said.

In the vice presidential contest STAND candidate Tuan Vu Nguyen pulled ahead of CIA candidate Andrew Monzon by only one vote.

Nguyen garnered 34.47 percent of the ballots, while Monzon collected 34.42 percent. The runoff election is scheduled Wednesday and Thursday.

Michael Berry, CIA candidate, received 38.65 percent of the presidential votes, and Mark Burge, STAND candidate, received 33.43 percent.

CIA candidate Veena Kay Sardana, who received 37.1 percent of the vote, will fill the position of student regent. Her closest opponent, Joel Richards of the STAND party, received 33.4 percent.

The student regent position requires only a plurality to win.

PREVENT POISON

CITY OF HOUSTON HEALTH DEPARTMENT

In recognition of National Poison Prevention Week, March 17-23, the Environmental Pollution Control division of the Houston Department of Health and Human Service (DHHS) suggests some simple steps to ensure homes are "poison-proof."

"Proper use and storage of poison can avoid unnecessary problems and possible tragedies," DHHS Director Dr. John E. Arradondo, said.

Places to check are: the kitchen, the bathroom and the garage. Make sure all materials, including medicines, drain cleaners, furniture polish, paint thinners, antifreeze and similar materials are stored properly, with special attention to the following:

All containers should have child-resistant caps or closures and should be stored out of children's reach, preferably in a locked cabinet. Place symbols such as the "Mr. Yuk stickers" that tell children to keep away on the cabinet.

Materials should be stored only in their original containers with original labels, which makes them easy to identify and often provides first aid information.

Never store poisons in the same cabinets with food or in food containers.

Medicine should be used only as directed and only by the person for whom it is prescribed.

Outdated medicine or potentially hazardous material no longer needed should be disposed of properly.

The City of Houston is studying a proposed Household Hazardous Waste collection program which could enable households to dispose of those unwanted materials properly, rather than throwing them in the trash. Look for more information on the program in the future.

Once people have taken the proper steps to "poison-proof" their home, they should review the above guidelines to assure it stays that way.

City of Houston Health Department

EYE ON HEALTH

BAYLOR COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

An accident with a common household cleanser may call for some uncommon first aid.

Each year, more than 18,000 eye injuries result from chemical burns. Most injuries occur in factory and in-home accidents.

Time is the most important element of first aid for chemical burns. When the eye has been splashed with a chemical, quickly rinse the foreign substance with any water-based, non-toxic liquid.

"The eye should be irrigated with two to three gallons of water, which is the best rinsing agent," Dr. M. Bowes Hamill, assistant professor of ophthalmology at Houston's Baylor College of Medicine, said.

"If you are some distance from water, begin irrigation with cola, milk, tea or any other similar liquid, as long as you irrigate the eye immediately while looking for water."

Pull the lower eyelid down, look up and thoroughly rinse the bottom membrane around the eye. Rinse the front surface of the eye, looking in all directions and cleanse the entire surface. Pull up the upper eyelid, look down and rinse the membrane above the eye. These steps should be repeated until the chemical has been washed out.

When the eye has been affected by a granular or paste-like chemical such as drain cleaner, wipe under the lids with a cotton-tipped swab during the rinse.

Immediately after rinsing, call an ophthalmologist or go to an emergency room to be examined by a physician.

Bring the chemical container so the physician can check the label for ingredients. If the original container is not available, bring a sample of the chemical.

Chemical burns can cause scarring of the cornea and, if not rinsed quickly, they can permanently damage the eye. Corneal transplants can save the sight of some accident victims, although severe burns may result in blindness.

All chemical and cleansers should be stored properly and out of children's reach to prevent accidental exposure or swallowing.

Baylor College of Medicine

BUSINESS QUEST

Richard Laurence Baron, creative director and senior vice president of The Quest Business Agency, will speak to marketing students at UH at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, March 19, 1991.

Baron will present "Focused Marketing, Concentrated Advertising," a case history involving Quest's client, Exxon Company, USA

The program describes the intricate process of advertising Exxon's products to manufacturers of herbicides and pesticides.

"Exxon's Ag-Chem Program is a classic demonstration of communications to a very important niche market. It is a tightly-focused program that involves both print advertising and high-penetration direct mail to a specific targeted audience," Baron said.

The Quest Business Agency is a full-service agency offering business-to-business marketing communications, public relations, exhibit services, sales and merchandising, database marketing/telemarketing and advertising support.

COMPLAINTS LEAD TO STICKER-SWAP OPTION

BY DARLA ATKINSON

Students who paid $70 for inner-campus parking lots and still cannot find a space now have an option to downgrade their decals, a Parking and Transportation official said.

Parking and Transportation receives many complaints each semester from students about the lack of parking spaces, Parking and Transportation Manager Gerald Hagan said.

"They complain that they paid to park in the $70 lot, so they will park there even if it is illegal."

The students have an option to downgrade or even upgrade parking stickers if they are not satisfied with the original sticker.

"Within a 20-day grace period the students can receive a $60 refund from the $70 parking option, if they feel there is not ample parking in the inner lots for them," he said.

The Parking and Transportation Office has opened two new outlying lots, near the Wendy's and McDonald's restaurants to help the overflow of students needing to park in Lot 16. The two lots provide 120 extra spaces that were not available last year, Hagan said.

"We try every semester to explain to students that the $70 sticker allows them to park in the $70 lots, if there is a space available," Hagan said. "We also try to advertise to let the students know about the buses that run from the other two outlying lots, Lots 9 and 12, to PGH (Hoffman Hall) and to the University Center."

"We offer this service to the students because we know there is not enough parking available in the inner lots," Hagan said. The buses run about every six to 10 minutes, bringing the students closer to campus.

The number of students riding the buses has increased this semester to about 2,000, Hagan said.

The new lots cost the office $18,500 from the 1990 budget for laying the asphalt and striping, and another $8,500 from the 1991 budget for emergency call boxes, Hagan said.

The Parking and Transportation Office has paid about $90,000 each semester for the bus contracts since September 1990, Hagan said.

"The other contract we had cost more than the one we have now," he said. "We have smaller buses this year, so it costs less to run."

"We've conducted surveys every semester, Hagan said. "In fact, we conducted two last fall." The results of the surveys found there were enough spaces in the outlying lots to fit all of the illegally parked cars from the other lots.

"This certainly shows that there is parking available to the students," he said.

"We received a total of 37 responses to our survey this semester," Hagan said, adding that the surveys were on all of the buses, but the students failed to respond. "No news is good news," Hagan said. "I guess the students are satisfied with the service we are providing."

"The parking problems are getting better," Joanne Nicklos, a junior psychology major, said. "The first two weeks of classes are the worst for parking. Everyone seems to be here the first week or two then they don't show up or something," she said.

Parking and Transportation receives its revenues mainly from the sale of the parking stickers and not from parking tickets issued, Hagan said.

"We let the police patrol the lots and let them have free reign on when or where they ticket vehicles," he said. The money collected from the tickets goes right back to the police station, he said.

PRENATAL CARE

CITY OF HOUSTON

Prenatal, well child, immunization and TB skin testing services will be provided to low-income residents in Southwest Houston as a result of a city contract with Houston's Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word (SCH).

According to a survey conducted by the Department of Health and Human Services, Southwest Houston's infant mortality and morbidity rates are relatively high and, in 1987, nearly one quarter of all pregnant women residing in the area received late care or no prenatal care at all.

Houston City Council awarded a contract to SCH, a Catholic non-profit multi-hospital health care corporation, to meet the medical needs of low-income residents in Southwest Houston. Funding will come from the city's Southwest Clinic Miscellaneous Support Services.

SCH will locate its medical care facilities at 6441 High Star and is projected to care for approximately 39,720 patients during the next 12 months.

For more information, please contact Dr. Mary desVignes-Kendrick, Assistant Director of Personal Health Services at 794-9352 or contact the mayor's communication office at 247-1864.

City of Houston

POLICE NAB SUSPECT IN FOOT CHASE

BY REBECCA DEATON

After a foot pursuit involving several officers, UHPD charged a campus visitor Thursday with evading arrest or detention.

Tony Dease was placed under arrest when a library staff member identified him as the man she saw in a library reading room with his pants pulled down, Assistant Police Chief Frank Cempa said.

Martha Steele, head of the library's access services department saw the man when she went into reading room 113 at noon. Steele said she immediately left the room, and waited outside for the man to come out.

When he stepped out of the reading room, he had his pants on, Steele said. She asked him if he was a UH student.

"He said he was, and kept walking toward the door," she said. "When I asked him for his student ID, he said he didn't have one."

As soon as he left the building, library employees called the police to report the incident. A description of the man was immediately broadcast to all mobile units, Cempa said.

When police spotted a man fitting the description running across parking lot 12, they pursued him on foot. Cempa said the suspect ran down Alabama, Canfield and Napoleon streets with police officers close behind.

"He was trying to go under a house at 3612 Holman when the officers caught up with him and took him into custody," Cempa said.

As Steele did not actually see the man's genital area, the district attorney would not accept charges of indecent exposure, Cempa said. Dease was charged with the class B misdemeanor, which carries a possible penalty of a maximum of $1,000 fine or jail confinement of up to 180 days, or both.

Steele said she is concerned by the incident and others like at which have happened recently at the library. She's afraid that students who study in the library could be disturbed by these occurrences.

However, Steele was quick to praise campus police's efforts in apprehending the suspect. She urged victims of campus crimes to report them without delay.

"At the circulation desk there is a hotline which the police pick up immediately," she said. "If we report it right away, the police will take action. I don't see how anyone could have responded more quickly."

ROTC CADETS WEATHER TEAMWORK EXPERIENCE

BY EDWARD LEE McINTOSH

In a driving rain with temperatures hovering near 50 degrees, the UH ROTC unit participated Saturday in a training exercise version of the football team's "run and shoot" offense.

In this game, there was not only a lot of running, there was a lot of shooting, too. With M-16 assault rifles and live ammunition.

Each of 42 camouflaged cadets was required to don a 25-pound backpack, run a 3.6 mile road course to a rifle range and fire 40 rounds of M-16 ammunition. Cadets were divided into eight squads that competed against each other.

Cadet Capt. Moses Scheinfeld, a senior political science major at Rice University and organizer of the competition, said exercises such as "Operations Order -- Run n' Shoot" are part of the modern Army's professionalization program.

"This exercise makes the cadets organize themselves and their tasks in a rational way so individual units can work toward a common objective," Scheinfeld said.

He pointed to the success of the American military in the Persian Gulf as an example of how the Army's emphasis on teamwork has paid off.

UH is the host school for all of the Army ROTC programs at universities in the Houston area.

Scheinfeld said one of the primary missions of this type of training is to build team cohesion.

"We want all of the cadets to learn the value of working together, especially if one member of a squad falls behind.

In addition to running and shooting in bad weather, each squad member had to have a full complement of extra clothing, canteens, and other military gear. After the exhausting run, a full inspection was held at the firing range to make sure each cadet followed orders and brought all the required gear. The squad was penalized for any item that a squad member failed to bring.

Lt. Col. Robert Shaffer, UH professor of military science, said the experience cadets received on Saturday will help prepare them for the six weeks they will spend with an active-duty Army unit during the summer.

"Usually the junior and seniors in the battalion go to Ft. Riley, Kansas for the summer but with the Big Red 1 (First Infantry Division) in Iraq right now, we'll probably go to Ft. Lewis near Seattle," Shaffer said. "They might as well train in this kind of weather now because this is exactly what they'll be seeing in Washington State."

The winners of the overall competition was First Squad of the Ranger Battalion. Ross Pollack, Helene Pham, Bassey Bassey, Leslie Grant, Jason Helm and Omar Scarborough came in first on the run and second on the shooting qualification with a combined score of 150 points out of a possible 160. The squad ran the 3.6 miles in 41:25 minutes and averaged 27.83 out of a possible 40 on the rifle range.

Coming in second was Third Squad, Company A with a combined score of 130 points.

The winners names will be engraved on a permanent "Run n' Shoot" plaque that will be hung in the cadet lounge in the ROTC offices. The department plans to make this an annual event.

COMMITTEE SUFFERING IDENTITY CRISIS, SAY SSFPAC MEMBERS

BY S. CROSBY KING

Members of one of UH's multitudinous committees say theirs doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

The Student Service Fee Planning and Allocation Committee (SSFPAC), a body that disperses money to the various student service units, met Friday and members confronted its identity problem while addressing Roland Smith, Vice President of Student Affairs.

"It's an obscure group, apparently," Robert Judy, instructor of electical electronics, said. "When you think of the amount of money this group makes a recommendation for, it's amazing to me people aren't lined up down this hall to stand in here to tell us what to do with it. We've decided that the student population in general is at best poorly informed as to the existence of this group, much less its function."

Judy said if the students don't complain, SSFPAC members assume they're happy with the way things are, but it helps when they're vocal about their problems.

After the meeting, Chairman Rodger Peters said the committee has some power over the Students' Association, which he said has to come to them each year for its money.

Fellow SSFPAC member and SA president Paul Hoglund agreed with Peters. "We (SSFPAC) make recommendations on SA's budget," Hoglund said.

Peters said students perceive they pay for everything out of student fees, including the repair work for the fountain, which he said is actually funded by the Cullen Foundation.

"I've found the majority of students don't know where the majority of student fees are going," he said. "It's a major problem -- SSFPAC'S barely recognized by the administration."

One indication that students aren't familiar with SSFPAC is the poor attendance records of its student members. Four members are elected to the committee each year in the SA elections, but Peters said few regularly attend meetings.

"I guarantee you that three out of those four that were elected this semester will not show up," he said.

Dean of Students Willie Munson, the group's liaison with Smith, said the group's significant formal power lies in its recommendations.

"If you look at the history of the student service fee committee, I think you'll observe that their recommendations and their activities are taken very seriously," he said.

Munson said over the last two or three years SSFPAC's recommendations have been forwarded to the president and the board of regents without any changes made to them. He said because the press has frequently covered the group's activities, a core of students exists that understands the role of the committee.

However, Munson said SSFPAC shares the recognition problem of many committees at a university that teaches predominantly commuter students.

"I'm not sure a huge percentage of the students would know what the acronym SSFPAC stood for."

Member Tom Creole said he was going to launch a one-man campaign to increase understanding about SSFPAC. He said he was upset the majority of students don't realize their student service fees cannot be raised to $150 under current law.

Only a cap of $150 is being considered, Creole said, with any raise limited to 5 percent a year.

Creole said recent SA candidates used the misinformation as a scare tactic. He said when he talked with people individually about the reality of the fees, students didn't mind having them raised $5 or so, as opposed to $60.

Creole emphasized the legitimacy of SSFPAC, saying it's not just one of SA's bureaucratic creations, as many students think.

"It's a law that SSFPAC exists and is the students' true voice of how their $6 million are spent."

DON'T PANIC

The UH Department of Psychology seeks people suffering from panic disorder who are interested in free treatment at a research-based clinic.

Panic attack symptoms include sweating, shortness of breath, rapid heartbeat, fear and anxiety. Panic can be extremely debilitating, cause avoidance of situations where panic occurred and can continue for years if untreated.

Participants are assigned to small groups that meet weekly for 10 weeks on the UH campus, where free parking is available. An extensive assessment of a patient's anxiety problems will be made at the start, followed by treatment and six-months of post-treatment evaluation.

Services are provided free sufferers through a grant awarded to UH and the University of Texas School of Medicine at Houston by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

For further information contact Dr. Gayle Beck at 749-4895.

CINCO RANCH OFFERS WORKSHOP FOR CADS

The University of Houston-West Houston Institute at Cinco Ranch Continuing Studies program will offer a seven-week hands-on Auto CAD (Computer Aided Design) workshop starting April 4.

Designed for engineers, architects, drafters, artists and other interested in learning how to use microcomputers for designing and drafting, this 21-hour workshop emphasizes application of the latest CAD concepts and techniques.

Participants will have individual work stations for hands-on practice such tasks as creating and editing files, precision entry and menu/plotter commands.

Upon completion, participants will have acquired the skills needed to perform simple multi-discipline drafting projects.

The Spring 1991 Auto CAD workshop will be held April 4 -- May 16, 7 -- 10 p.m. Course fee is $325.

The institute is located at 4242 South Mason Road, between Interstate 10 and Westheimer (FM 1093). It is also easily reached from Highway 90 by taking Harlem Road to Westheimer.

Call the institute at 395-2800 to register by phone, for more information or for a complete Continuing Studies Spring 1991 bulletin.

CABLE STATION INTERNS EARN COURSE CREDIT

BY RUSTY ODOM

UH students are gaining insight into cable television through a local company.

Students enrolled in the Radio and Television's Cable Communications course intern with Access Houston, a local cable station, in a variety of jobs.

Students attend regularly scheduled classes three times a week. Students then receive some course credit by volunteering to work at Access Houston.

Students can choose to work on various live talk shows, which are shown nightly, or can choose to work on location shows, such as high-school sports and the Houston fine arts scene.

On live shows, students participate in every aspect of the shooting and are rotated to fill several different duties in the studio and master control room.

They set up the lighting, audio equipment and cameras. Students are also involved in operating the cameras, video tape machines and help prepare graphics for each show.

"It works out great since we have the live shows to produce. The students get experience while working on a production crew and Access Houston gets employees for these positions filled by volunteers," Suzan Van Velzer, a director at Access Houston, said.

The volunteer program is also open to students after completing the course. Students not in RTV can also apply.

"Many of our volunteers are students who are not enrolled in the cable course at UH. Since we are always looking for volunteers the students are always welcome to come to Access and help out. The work gives them the extra experience," Van Velzer said.

Most students seem pleased with experience. The class provides basic knowledge of the cable TV industry and the hands-on approach to cable TV production.

"I took the class because I knew I could get an internship without going through all the hassles of applying for an internship. The class is also a good place to gain more experience," Kent Spacek, a senior RTV major, said.

Pam Poynter, a senior RTV major, said "The class is a lot of fun and it is also a place where we can gain the hands-on experience that we all need."

Access Houston is a non-profit station based in Houston. The station accepts all volunteers who are interested in learning cable television production. Volunteers should contact Access Houston during daytime hours.

BRAIN STORMING

BAYLOR COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

Understanding how changes occur in the brain -- and learning to control these changes -- may free millions of people from drug addiction and mental illess.

"The amount of suffering endured and the amount of money spent annually on such diseases of the mind as schizophrenia, depression, alcoholism and drug abuse is phenomenal," Dr. James Patrick, head of neuroscience at Baylor College of Medicine, said.

Patrick and his colleagues are studying synapses, the spaces where signals are transmitted from one nerve cell to another. Synapses may be the clue to developing drugs to treat mental illness as well as improving the understanding of drug dependency.

"Understanding synaptic structure and function is important for understanding how cells send signals to each other," Patrick said.

"It is complex," he said. "There may be 100,000 synapses on a single neuron cell, all of them functioning at different times. Different synapses throughout the brain may use hundreds of different signal-receiving molecules and dozens of different transmitter molecules."

Scientists know that synapses change as they are used.

For example, drugs, whether legal or illegal, can modify the transmission of signals from one cell to another in some part of the brain. The biochemical effect can be long-term changes resulting in dependency.

"It is clear now that mental illnesses really have a physical, organic basis and that they might occur as a result of some molecular problem in the nervous system," Patrick said.

If scientists can learn how that machinery works normally, Patrick said, perhaps drugs can be developed that will restore proper synaptic function.

"That is the bottom line for neuroscience for the next decade," Patrick said. "The payoff for society could be millions of lives and billions of dollars saved."

Baylor College of Medicine