MINORITY SCHOLARSHIPS NOW VIEWED AS DISCRIMINATORY

(CPS) -- Amid congressional hearings and a student lawsuit that claimed schools discriminate against white people, the U.S. Department of Education came full circle in its view of minority scholarships recently.

Now it is accepted again for campuses to have special scholarships set aside for minority students.

In one of his first acts as U.S. Secretary of Education, Lamar Alexander advised schools to ignore all changes made in the department's policy on race-exclusive scholarships before he took office on March 18.

But just a day after Alexander approved race-based scholarships, a group of students filed suit to force public campuses to stop offering them.

The controversy has been brewing since December, when a department official sent a memo noting that "minority-only" scholarships in effect discriminated against white people and could cost schools their federal funding.

Since then the Education Department -- which oversees most federal college programs -- has issued a series of clarifications.

The clarifications, however, have confused the issue of what the department considers discriminatory, many campus-aid officials say.

At a March 20 press conference in Washington, D.C., Alexander promised to end the confusion, adding a committee will review the policy over the next six months.

"Colleges and universities should keep doing whatever they're doing," Alexander said. "Work with us to develop a policy. Then we'll have a policy, and we'll work with them to help them make any adjustments at that time."

However, six months is too long for seven white students who sued the department March 21 to try to force it to bar tax-supported colleges from awarding minority scholarships.

The students are from the universities of California at Los Angeles, Iowa, Virginia, Texas and Southern California and Mercy and Macalester colleges.

Their lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court by the conservative Washington Legal Foundation on the students' behalf, said minority scholarships violate the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which bars awarding financial aid "based solely on the race of the recipient."

"I think this administration would like this issue to go away," the students' attorney, Richard Samp, told the Associated Press.

The students are upset that Alexander reversed the decision announced by Assistant Secretary of Education for Civil Rights Michael L. Williams on Dec. 4, 1990.

In a letter to Fiesta Bowl officials in Arizona, Williams warned that the "minority-only" scholarships offered by the two schools participating in the Fiesta Bowl violated the Civil Rights Act.

He said schools that awarded race-based scholarships could lose their federal funding.

A political outcry followed, as campus officials and civil rights groups worried the policy would hamper efforts to recruit more minorities to college.

On Dec. 18, Williams announced campuses were free to award scholarships on the basis of race if the money for the grants came from private gifts, not public tax funds.

Alexander negated Williams' Dec. 18 reinterpretation of the Civil Rights Act at his press conference, held the same day Williams testified before a House Government Operations subcommittee investigating the whole controversy.

At the hearing, Williams reacted angrily when Rep. Ted Weiss, D-N.Y., suggested Williams' aide, Richard Comer, had written the controversial Fiesta Bowl letter.

"I am the person responsible for that office," Williams said. "I am the person who signed the (letter). I can interpret the law."

Meanwhile, Alexander tried to calm fears of those who say the department is trying to keep poor students, often minorities, from attending college by changing scholarship rules.

"When we get right down to it, even a casual look at this suggests that there are dozens of ways for university presidents to help disadvantaged Americans go to college," he said at his press conference.

"So there are plenty of ways that anybody with a warm heart and common sense can find to help disadvantaged Americans come to college."

*******************************************************

ENGLISH GROUP WITH GROWLING STYLE ACHIEVES NEW STATUS

BY KEITH GORDON

(CPS) -- Stare for a moment into the fire. Look past the flames, to the embers burning ever so brightly, performing the mesmerizing final dance of their short lives as they turn and soar toward their infinite sleep, burning ever toward darkness. That's the dark, somber sound of The Sisters of Mercy.

With the release of Vision Thing, the band's third album, The Sisters are building upon a cult status that has elevated vocalist Andrew Eldritch, his work and his offstage antics to near-mythical proportions.

Eldritch, who has a deep, growling, tortured vocal style, is the brains behind the Sisters of Mercy, as well as its founder, songwriter and constant focal point.

He started it all in 1980 in Leeds, England.

"There was a gap," Eldritch explained. "Everybody in London, which is where the whole English music industry is, was promoting at the time, very much like they are today, in fact, a rather hideous blend of cocktail and disco music.

"Nobody I knew up in Northern England could relate to that," he remembered. "We had our own different thing going."

So Eldritch, along with original guitarist Gary Marx, formed The Sisters of Mercy.

"We had a fuzz bass, a very cheap drum machine and I used to shout a lot through an echo machine," he recalled. "People really got off on it."

A few months later, "Damage Done," the Sisters' first single, was released on their own Merciful Release label, to instant acceptance.

"We spent the following 10 years trying to keep as much of that as possible," Eldritch said of the early sound, "while fitting it into song at the same time, which is not easy."

Eldritch said he originally got into music "because it seemed the natural thing to do if you were a punk rocker. Everybody was in a band then. Someone asked me to play on their record, so I did and it just kind of grew from there."

"Long after that," Eldritch continued, "people started saying, `Andrew, you're actually quite good at certain elements of this,' and people started encouraging me. That's when we started taking it seriously. That would have been about 1982, when we started realizing the potential power of what we had."

A handful of singles and live performances won the Sisters a small though loyal European following, prompting Warner Brothers to offer the band worldwide distribution of the band's records in 1984.

The spring of 1985 saw the release of the self-titled Sisters' debut album, which jumped immediately into the U.K. Top 20 album chart, yielding a number of hit singles in the process.

It wouldn't be until two-and-a-half years later, with the 1987 release of the single "This Corrosion," that the Sisters would become known stateside.

The alternative music scene happily embraced The Sisters of Mercy, the album release that followed. The enigmatic Floodland came next, selling a respectful 200,000 copies in the U.S. market and providing college radio with two additional hit singles, "Dominion" and "Lucretia My Reflection."

Of Vision Thing, Eldritch said, "It's loud and it's exciting and it's very funny."

Shooting more than a few poetic arrows at both American and English cultures, Vision Thing is a creative reflection of the ills of a world gone awry.

But Eldritch maintains he's not trying to wake people up with his starting lyrics and apocalyptic vision.

"I don't think that there's much that you can do. I just make a soundtrack for people who feel the same way that I do.

"I don't think that rock music, certainly not the way that I do it, is in the business of converting people or persuading them of anything that they don't know already. One, I think that that's a conceited thing to do, and secondly, I just don't think that I'm very good at it."

RAISING GRANT MONEY TAKES MUCH HARD WORK

BY TAM C. TRAN

Although some faculty members rake in considerable sums in research grants, they say getting grants is not an easy task.

UH researchers were granted about $23 million between September 1989 and February 1990, compared to only $22 million between September 1990 and February 1991.

However, the total amount collected in February 1991 was $3 million, $1 million more than February 1990

"Writing proposals to agencies and networking through industries are a couple of mechanisms of getting grants," said Engineering Management Professor Deborah Fisher.

Working through the Office of Sponsored Programs, Fisher has brought in about $250,000 for the department of industrial engineering during the last two years.

"Part of my success is due to the fact that a female engineer gets a slight advantage in government grants because of our high visibility. They (government agencies) are trying to promote minority and female engineers," she said.

To receive funding, a proposal must prove the need for the research and demonstrate its potential importance to the area studied, Physics Professor Ed Hungerford said.

"The agency will determine the quality of the research and correlate it with a budget request. You don't always get what you request."

According to Julie Norris, director of OSP, 48 percent of grant money is automatically deducted to cover overhead costs.

"Direct costs are determined by a great degree of certainty, like salaries, supplies and equipment," she said.

Hungerford added that UH's overhead cost is not high compared to other universities. Both Stanford and MIT have a higher overhead cost than UH, he said.

However, colleges such as Humanities and Fine Arts don't use grants to cover costs, Nicolas Kanellos, publisher of Arte Publico Press, said.

"There are definitely overhead costs but they are not covered by the grants. It is hard to get grants for Humanities and Fine Arts," Kanellos said.

Sometimes several UH departments work on the same grant, Geoscience Professor John McDonald said.

"The department of computer science, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and geoscience have brought in about $10 to $11 million within the last decade. About 15 industrial companies have paid us a fixed amount to do research for them."

UH faculty are not required to seek external funds, Norris said. But to maintain their jobs, they must conduct research related to fellowships.

Some professors say getting funds is incidental to their research.

"Be involved in doing something significant. It is worthwhile to get involved first, worry about money later," Kanellos said.

Industrial Engineering Professor Lawrence Schulze said he worked eight months on a proposal to get $49,600 from M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.

"A lot of hard work and effort must be put in," Hungerford said. "You must work hard at it because the government just doesn't give away grants."

SELF-TAUGHT ICE SCULPTOR CREATES COOL WORKS OF ART

BY SANDRA MCCLOSKEY

The chainsaw blade whirls as Dennis Caylor steps forward to survey his etched design. Chips of ice fly when the silver blade makes the first cut in the 300-pound ice block. In several hours a swan will emerge from the frozen water.

Caylor, general manager of the UH Hilton Hotel, is carving a bird image inside a 10-foot-by-100-foot walk-in cooler that serves as his workroom.

Inside the silver-walled cooler sits a workbench, a chain saw and a crank crane. Special Japanese chisels, designed for intricate carving, ranging from nine inches to 30 inches in length, complete his assemblage. A glass door offers a glimpse into his world.

Caylor said he sculpts ice as a hobby and his designs are inspired by unicorns, dragons and swans. He said he sees a piece he wants to carve in ice and studies it.

Drawing the image on paper, he then projects it on a wall using an overhead projector. A template of the image serves as a silhouette for the carving. The silhouette is etched into the ice with a die cutter, he said.

"Details are critical and the silhouette is important," Caylor said. "If the silhouette is wrong, then the finished piece isn't realistic because the proportions aren't correct."

Clad in earmuffs, latex dishwashing gloves and a blue, hooded, thermal-insulated sweatshirt and overalls and waterproof rubbers over his shoes, Caylor enters the cooler ready to begin.

A self-taught sculptor, Caylor said he has no favorite designs. This week he is sculpting nine ice carvings for Gourmet Night, an annual culinary event at the hotel college.

Caylor is also commissioned to sculpt his ice designs. The downtown Doubletree Hotel hires Caylor to create his carvings on a regular basis. His simplest designs, an ice vase for fresh flowers, takes about 30 minutes to complete, he said.

Caylor said he became interested in sculpting ice while he was a student at the UH hotel college.

Manuel Cuevas, a banquet employee at the hotel, assists Caylor with the sculptures. A crank cable lifts the block of ice -- 20 inches wide, 40 inches tall and 12 inches deep -- onto a shelf. The ice is made like a popsicle. A mold with a tube down the center is filled with water. The ice must be clear, so there are tiny pin holes poked in the tube which helps add oxygen to the water and filters impurities, Caylor said.

A six-inch base anchors each creation. Some sculptures are large and are fused together with water until the ice freezes, he said.

Caylor also uses slush, ice chips and water to fuse the pieces of his design together. The final figure is displayed in an ice carving pan which catches the melting art work and illuminates the design.

Not every artist sculpts in 42 degree temperature or watches his art melt down the drain, said Gloria McLendon, Caylor's secretary. She points to color photographs of the carvings that line the walls of Caylor's office.

"I've tried to encourage him to sculpt with other materials that are more permanent," she said.

Caylor said, "It's a different art form. I like that it's not permanent. I get another chance to do it again. It's not like painting in oils."

CABINET FORMED TO FOSTER COOPERATION AMONG GREEKS

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

Greek Week 1991 is the first major accomplishment by a newly-formed cabinet to coordinate efforts of the entire UH Greek system, activities advisor Joanne Note said.

Note said former officers from the Interfraternity Council and the Houston Collegiate Panhellenic Association, which serve as governing bodies to UH fraternities and sororities, said they didn't have the manpower or structure to conduct needed educational and social programs.

In the past, cooperation usually occurred within individual councils, but not between them, Note said.

The proposal to form the cabinet states its goal is "to make more of an impact on campus and in the community through collaborative efforts ... and to improve communication between individual chapters of the system and between the councils."

"The idea was for the whole system to work together," said Note, who also serves as an advisor to the cabinet and the IFC.

"On other campuses, all Greeks are involved in some umbrella organization," Note said.

The cabinet is composed of one elected representative from both the IFC and HCPA at each chair position. Chairs are the executive vice president, community service, Greek Week, Scholarship/Awards and Program and Public Relations.

"The body brings together the councils (IFC and HCPA) that already exist," Note said.

IFC President Ty Thomas, a junior management information systems major and member of Delta Sigma Phi said, "Up until this point fraternities and sororities have been on a different level. The Greek Cabinet is for promoting joint functions."

Note said the cabinet will be expanded soon to include the recently formed Black Greek Council.

"A lot of this is young, but it's supposed to be a structure for some neat things to happen," she said.

Chi Omega member Raequel Rhodes, a junior marketing major and HCPA Greek Week representative, said apathy and disorganization during last year's Greek Week festivities was one reason the cabinet was formed.

She said changing the Greek image and making contributions to the community are two goals of this year's event.

"We don't want to be seen as (an) Animal House," she added.

Two community service programs at this year's Greek Week will raise money for the United Way and collect school supplies for needy children.

"If you don't make it through high school because you don't have enough pencils, that's just sad," Rhodes said.

CUTTING CORNERS

(CPS) -- The recession claimed more campus victims this semester, as more schools announced they were cutting student services.

The University of Arizona eliminated student jobs from the Student Union payroll in late February and cut employee hours.

"These are tough times," Union Director Bob Ernstein said. "There are some difficult decisions being made."

In Iowa, Muscatine Community College will not extend library and computer lab hours until next fall, when officials hope to have more money to pay for them. Northwest Missouri State University announced it would freeze wages and minimize campus scholarships to save money.

Point Park College in Pittsburg announced it will eliminate majors in French, Spanish and math departments.

KISS AND YELL

BOSTON, Mass. -- While praising Harvard Law School students' legal briefs as "first-rate," a judge dismissed their suit alleging the law school has failed to appoint enough minorities, women and homosexuals to tenured positions.

Only current, potential or rejected employees -- not students -- can bring suits for employment discrimination, Middlesex Superior Court Judge Patrick Brady ruled recently.

In 1990, Derrick Bell, the school's first tenured black professor, took an unpaid leave of absence to protest that there were no tenured black women on the faculty.

NICE BRIEFS BUT...

Atlanta, GA, -- More than 200 Emory University law students, angry that a professor accused of kissing women students without their consent was only reprimanded, boycotted class March 20 and demanded administrators review the way they punish professors.

President James T. Laney agreed to form a committee to review faculty disciplinary decisions, but defended the school's treatment of 13 students' allegations that Professor Abraham Ordover had sexually harassed them or compromised their anonymity on exams.

A three-professor committee officially reprimanded Ordover, ordering him to seek counseling and barring him from touching students, extending social invitations to students and talking to women students in his office with the door closed after school hours.

Emory's failure to take stronger measures against Ordover was "totally unacceptable," law student Jeff Straus told the demonstrators in a campus auditorium March 20.

UH-D PROF NAMED STATE'S TOP EDUCATOR

BY MICHELLE DUMAINE

UH Downtown Associate Professor of Humanities and Fine Arts Thomas Lyttle was named 1991 College/University Educator of the Year by the Texas Educational Theatre Association (TETA).

"This high honor, I feel, was given to me for service over a number of years. I have been with UH-D since 1976," said Lyttle, 51, who is UH-D's theater director.

James Miller, former President of TETA for the past two years and director of theater at Sam Houston State University, said the honor is given to people who have done excellent work throughout their career and who are exceptionally productive with organizations and activities in the community.

"I think Dr. Lyttle is an exceptional director, a superior teacher and a caring professional. He does much more than he gets credit for," Miller said.

Lyttle also initiated and administers the Founder Scholarship, which is a $1,000 scholarship for sending students to theater school. High school students are able to audition if their school is a TETA member. Interviews are held after the auditions to discuss possibilities of going to theater school.

"Dr. Lyttle established and runs the auditions for scholarships, which is now a nationally prominent event," Miller said.

"He is highly deserving of this award and I was pleased that he received it," he added.

UH-D President Manuel T. Pacheco, "Dr. Lyttle is quite active. Students like him because he really gets involved in student activities. He has been a volunteer for various theater productions and is a terrific asset to UH-D. He is a model faculty member."

The nominees for this award were presented in mid-September.

TETA holds annual conventions in Fort Worth where about 1,500 students and educators have workshops and speakers. The students and educators get recharged about their love for theater and are able to keep in touch with one another, Lyttle said.

"Dr. Lyttle has contributed to the success of the conventions by holding workshops and by inviting local professionals, which introduced them to TETA. He has been helpful in promoting the organization and getting other people to help within the organization. He has done all these things without recognition," Miller said.

Lyttle is presently working on UH-D's spring production, The Barrets of Wimpole Street, to be shown April 5-13 at UH-D's O'Kane Theatre.

ELEVATOR SURFING FAD LEAVES ANOTHER DEAD

(CPS) -- An Indiana State University (ISU) student was killed March 20 while "elevator surfing," an activity that has become a fad on some college campuses in the last year.

Campus officials said they had no idea Michael John Deliduka, a 23-year-old junior from Shalimar, Fla., and other students had been riding on top of elevators for fun until Deliduka was killed.

"It was not known that he was engaged in this activity," Martin Blank, ISU's director of public information, said.

In the activity known as elevator surfing, students stand on the top of an elevator and then ride up and down the shaft. Sometimes they may try to jump from the top of one elevator to another while they are passing each other.

Apparently Deliduka and three other young men used a coat hanger to trip the safety mechanism on the door, allowing access to the elevator shaft.

The four boarded one of the building's two elevators. As they rode, the other elevator became stuck.

Deliduka was trying to move from the working elevator to the stuck elevator when it started to move, pinning him between the elevator and the shaft wall.

Deliduka died instantly of positional asphyxia, according to Vigo County Coroner Rowland Kohr.

Kohr's report also revealed Deliduka had been drinking.

ISU officials are planning educational programs to help prevent similar tragedies in the future.

"I think the incident alone will be education enough," Blank said.

The ISU incident occurred one year and 10 days after the death of Joel Mangion, an 18-year-old student at the University of Massachusetts, in another elevator surfing accident.

Mangion fell 16 stories to his death while trying to jump from one elevator car to another.

UM officials have since taken steps to make it difficult to get on top of elevator cabs in campus high-rise buildings, Karin Sherbin, director of UM's news office, said.

But, Sherbin added, the school cannot guarantee an enterprising surfer could not breach its security measures.

"The sad truth is that if somebody has a will, there's a way."

WHIZ KID JAMS ON SAT

(CPS) -- Chienlan Hsu, a 13-year-old seventh grader, became the first female student to score a perfect 800 on the math portion of the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) in a national college search.

In the search, Johns Hopkins University gives the SAT to 13-year-olds in 19 states and the District of Columbia, trying to find academically promising young students.

CHECK OUT ROMANIA FOR SHORT COURSE IN JOY OF FREEDOM

BY EDWARD LEE MCINTOSH

Nothing makes you appreciate freedom more than a short visit to a society where freedom as we know it doesn't exist.

I recommend Romania.

With rare exception, Americans don't understand the concept of not being free. Most of us have never lived in a society that controls where we travel, where we live, what we read, who we see and even what is available to eat.

When I went to Romania in February, I was totally unprepared for the greeting visitors enjoy when they arrive at Tarom airport outside Bucharest, the capital. The main -- and only -- runway was lined with assault-rifle-toting guards who stood rigidly at attention in below freezing weather.

Passengers came off the plane and were hearded into a pre-WW II terminal building where two-dozen heavily armed security troops body-searched them all. Men, women, kids -- there was no discriminating.

This was not the simple pat down we see on TV cop shows. We were frisked, clothing was removed, bags were unpacked and the linings of suitcases examined.

I've never heard of being searched when coming off a plane, but it's hard to change old habits and the Romanian guards seemed to relish in their work. And yes, the search leaving the country was just as thorough. Throughout this ordeal, there was no outcry about civil rights being violated or freedoms being infringed upon. The message was chilling.

We Americans puff our chests and proclaim we wouldn't tolerate tanks rumbling through our streets in the dead of night. We say that we won't let our liberty be threatened by fear-invoking knocks on our doors by sinister internal security types who have Ph.D.'d in inflicting human misery.

The outrage that followed the video-taped brutality of a single citizen by a few rogue cops in Los Angeles shows the American people have a low tolerance for authorities who cross the thin line separating freedom from anarchy.

But others in this world haven't been so fortunate in their struggle for freedom and human dignity. The "huddled masses, yearning to be free" know first-hand their very existence often depended on tiny flashes of benevolence from tyrants and dictators.

Until Dec. 21, 1989, the Romanian people lived under what was frequently called the most repressive regime in Eastern Europe. Communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu and his equally brutal wife, Elena, caused the Romanian people to endure 40 years of food lines, an infrastructure that collapsed from disrepair and decay and chronic shortages of everything.

Toilet paper always seems to be the bellweather of a society's success. Romanian toilet paper, when available, has the texture of recycled cardboard. Figure it out for yourself.

But within the soul of the Romanian people -- and others of similar circumstance -- the fires of freedom burned and all of the tanks and all of the soldiers and all of the misery couldn't extinguish it.

Despite rigid government control of newspapers, the single television channel and the radio network, the Romanian people learned of the revolutionary events that brought down the Communist governments surrounding them. Riots broke out Dec. 19 in the northwestern city of Timisoara where up to 4,000 people were reportedly killed by government forces.

The news of the Timisoara massacre couldn't be surpressed and the students from the University of Bucharest took to the streets on Dec. 21 demanding the ouster of the Ceausescus. The students rallied around their university building in the heart of the capital city and, before the day was over, 1,000 were reported killed by automatic weapons fire from the Romanian military.

Eyewitnesses I talked to in Romania said the sight of the bloodied street sickened the young conscript soldiers so badly the military soon joined in the rebellion.

On Dec. 23, the entire world was told Caeusescu and his wife had been captured, tried and executed by dissident elements in the army. Within hours, video-taped images of the couple's bullet-riddled bodies were beamed around the world on CNN's satellite.

December 21 has been proclaimed as Romanian independence day and memorials for those who made the supreme sacrifice now litter the university's walls and a simple wooden cross has been erected where the young students fell to their death for freedom.

The Poles, the Czechs, the Hungarians and the East Germans cherished beliefs above their bodily survival and took back their nations from the Communist dictators who enslaved them. Historians will call the last two years the golden age of renaissance in the human struggle for freedom.

HEARBEATS POUND CONVINCINGLY

BY ERICKA SCHICKE

Flirting with death, his heart beating rapidly and sweating profusely, the quintet's lead singer musters up enough strength to plead for his life. Meanwhile, Big Red, an unscrupulous record company executive, keeps him hanging upside down from the hotel's balcony.

This is just one of several emotionally charged scenes in actor/writer/producer/director Robert Townsend's poignant, fact-based ficticious story about the rise and demise of a black singing group in the movie The Five Heartbeats.

A retrospective/musical drama, the film follows songwriter Donald "Duck" Matthews (portrayed by Townsend) as he reminisces about the '60s, his experience with unrequited love, his days with the group -- the triumphs, exhilarating moments, hardships and heartbreaks.

It all begins with a strong scene where Matthews, a graying, seemingly successful man in his forties, goes through a mail stack. On a Rolling Stone's cover, he notices a bold "Where Are They Now?" surrounded by pictures of various musical groups, including the Five Heartbeats.

It is that moment which stirs emotion and memories, causing him to reflect on his days as a burgeoning, eventually succesful songwriter and pianist.

Along the way, we are introduced to the other group members: James Thomas, Matthew's womanizing brother, Eddie King, the not-so-levelheaded lead singer; Terrence "Dresser" Williams, the grounded, most mature group member and Anthony "Choirboy" Stone, the band's spiritual leader.

Their story is intriguing in that while they first appeared as a close knit bunch, their personal relationships as friends and confidants deteriorates to the point where several members are no longer on speaking terms with one another.

Also, it closely details their meteoric rise to stardom and their first tastes of success up until the time -- much like the Beatles -- when the group begins to lose steam in the early '70s.

We get a moving, realistic account (inspired by Townsend's travels with the Dells) of what undoubledly happened to many musical groups during the Motown era.

Certainly, the credit goes to Townsend, Harry J. Lennis, Tico Wells, Leon and Michael Wright, the actors who portray the Five Heartbeats.

Yet, the rest of the cast, which include such revered entertainers as Diahann Carroll and Harold Nicholas and relative newcomers Troy Beyer, Tressa Thomas and Hawthorne Patterson, also deserve credit for excelling in supporting roles.

Townsend, who co-wrote the screenplay with pal Keener Ivory Wayans, has done another excellent job of wearing many hats, with his latest effort since the hit film Hollywood Shuffle.

Overall, The Five Heartbeats, while it is not stylistically innovative, is the kind of film that leaves you satisfied and convinced that your money has been well spent.

Legislators said Texas colleges and universities may not suffer current budget cuts but expressed doubt as to whether higher eduction budgets will incresase.

Because of the court mandates on public school reform, prison sytems, public health and welfare, funding for Higher Education in Texas is currently on the back burner.

Legislators are focusing attention on public school reform and until they set this "monster free" public education and higher eduction will suffer, state Rep. Ken Yarbrough, D-Houston said.

Many legislators support broadening the sales tax, and a business tax reform but do not support an income tax."The best that you (higher Education) can come out with is what you've got," Yarbrough said.Mike Martin, D-Galveston said 58 percent of the state ??? are on court mandate."My biggest concern is keeping UH and University of Texas from getting killed up here", Martin said.Martin said his constitutents range from one end of the spectrum asking for more funding and the other end saying they have had it up to here with taxes.Texas is at the bottom of the latter in most state services like health and human services, environment, he said."We're are behind," he said adding that higher eduction is in jeopardy of joining all the others."We need to get with the program and get with the times," Martin said.Texas is operating under a constitution written in 1896 and a tax law written in 1961.Texas is behind the times in tax reform, but he said, Texans don't want to pay for tax reform.Whether the proposes made by Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock for an income tax and corporate tax will correct the woes of the estimated $4.7 billion defict is question Martin said has not been answered yet."Many believe broadening the sales tax base is more controversial than an income tax," he said.Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Commisioner Kennith Ashworth said because Higher Education has no dedicated funds it will be one of the last places to receive funds.Ashworth recently testified before the House Higher Education Committee and updated it on the current state of conditions, such as the student/faculty ration increase by over 20 percent resulting in larger classes, increased use of part-time faculty, lack of library funding, loss of faculty because 25 states pay average faculty salaries higher than Texas, deffered maintenance and problems of students getting into overcrowded classrooms.He said many legislators were unaware and surprised by these facts, so he is laying the cards on the table and trying to make representative aware of the problems in higher education.Regarding a tutition increase he questioned whether it would bring new money into universities or substitute for a shifted burden.With an estimated $4.7 billion deficit, Texas lawmakers say it's probable Higher Education will keep its current budgets but hopes of increased funding, many legislators say, look slim.Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Commissioner Kenneth Ashworth said, because Higher Education has no mandates of funds, it will be one of the last places to receive funds.State Representative Gary Watkins, D-Odessa, Chair of the House Higher Education committee said although the committee recomended a decrease in funding to Higher Education, (a 6 percent decrease in UH's 1991 $131 million budget) these decreases are just a starting base and will be added to in certain areas, such as faculty salaries."I am optimistic. I don't think the members of the public will let Texas Higher Education take the backroad," Watkins said.Watkins, along with other legislators and the governor, expect the state performance audits, ( an audit of all state agencies) due July 1, to accrue $3 to $400 million in savings. He also said he expects $2 or $3 billion in new revenues.This new revenue, he said, could come from changes in the franchise tax, broadening of the sales tax base and the possibility of the lottery.He does not however, think legislators will pass the state income tax proposed by Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock.Watkins did say he expects cuts to occur in state agencies, but believes they will not occur in Higher Education.If Higher Education does receive cuts, Watkins warned, they could probably sustain one year of zero growth (no additional funding) but two years would be detrimental and would severly impact these institutions.State Representative A major problem for legislators is many of their constituents oppose tax increases.State Representative other universities f like health and human services and the eNot all legislators believe Texas's woes are as bad as they are being perceived.State Representative Don Henderson, R-Houston said he does'nt think there is a $4.7 billion deficit. He calls it a $4.7 billion "wish list" that includes everything state agencies want to spend.He perceives the deficit to be half of what is being speculated, more, he said, in the $2 billion range.Henderson said he would not rule out voting for a tax bill, but only after he is satified state agencies have been "scrubbed" for excess spending.Higher Education, Henderson said, will get treated as well or better than most state agencies.State Representative Sylvester Turner, D-Houston said the income tax issue will definately not pass.He chided Bullock for throwing the issue out to early which resulted in killing the issue.If Bullock would have waited until Texans could have seen how badly the state needs increased funding, like prisoners released from prisons and the effects on education, Turner said, it might have had the opportunity to pass.If Higher Education receives a marginal increase it will still be a "big hickey" because of the cost of living increases. By Higher Education holding their current levels, they will still lose, he said."We are facing a severe financail problem. If there are any increases, they will be marginal at best," Turner said.State Representative Roman Martines, D-Houston said of the July 1 audit state agencies were already lean and are getting leaner.He said he expects there to be only $200 to $300 million in savings from the state audits.Martines implores the educational communtiy to make constituents around the state aware of their importance."These types of issues need to go to the general public so by the time we vote, there will be more people on Higher Educations side," Martines said.

FRAT TERMINATED

MIDDLEBURY, Vt. -- The Middlebury College Community Council, made up of students, faculty members and administrators, voted to withdraw recognition of the campus Delta Kappa Epsilon chapter because it refused to comply with a school demand that all fraternities start admitting women by the end of 1990.

"DKE terminated itself," a Middlebury spokesman said.

Five of Middlebury's six fraternities complied with the rule, though three of them had to sever their ties to national organizations in order to do so.

REPUBLICANS SUSPECTED OF FOULING CAMPUS ELECTIONS

Mysterious campaign posters tacked up around a New York campus have led to accusations that the national College Republicans organization is surreptitiously trying to form a new political party to subvert liberal student politicians at schools around the country.

The party, known as CommonSense, reportedly has played a role in student government elections at three different campuses in recent weeks.

"I've talked to students at the University of Colorado at Boulder and the University of Wisconsin at Madison who have claimed there are CommonSense parties being run by members of the College Republicans on their campuses," Dan Slepian, student government president at the State University of New York at Stony Brook, said.

The group, Slepian said, tried to disqualify him from recent campus elections by putting up trick posters that violated school campaign rules.

At the University of Wisconsin, the CommonSense party, which had been associated with the College Republicans, was forced to disband after numerous campaign violations during last year's elections, Adam Young, a student Senate representative, reported.

Student government officials at the University of Colorado could neither confirm nor deny the existence of a CommonSense party there.

"It's my guess these are local movements," Jason Miko, executive director of the College Republican National Committee in Washington, D.C., replied.

"We're not making any effort to form CommonSense parties," he said.

At Stony Brook, the controversy started when a poster appeared around campus that described the CommonSense party as a "liberal party" and "a political alternative to the College Republicans" that supported Slepian for president.

But then CommonSense Party campaign manager Ron Nehring, who also is president of Stony Brook's College Republicans chapter, denied CommonSense members produced the posters.

His denial implicitly suggested Slepian himself produced the posters, a step that would cost Slepian his job.

"How can we endorse (Slepian) if we are running someone against him?" Nehring asked the Statesman, Stony Brook's student newspaper.

Nehring denied CommonSense had anything to do with the posters. But Slepian was not convinced.

"Someone's putting them out, and I think it's them (CommonSense party members)," Slepian said.

"I think they're trying to disqualify me," he said.

Various College Republican groups in fact have been involved in other "dirty trick" efforts to subvert liberal candidates and groups with which their members disagree.

In 1989, for example, the College Republicans chapter at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington destroyed a campus group headed by a leftist student by sending 15 of its members to a group meeting, taking advantage of lax group voting rules and then voting to remove the leftist from office.

The remaining College Republicans then voted to return the group's money to the student government.