SA BILL REASSIGNS CARRELS

BY MICHAEL HINES

The first summer meeting of the Students' Association Monday night went quickly and quietly as the senate passed one bill in perhaps the shortest session in the group's history.

The only bill on the floor, a bill which called for the M.D. Anderson Library to allocate unused individual study carrels for checkout to students, passed unanimously.

Senator Gene Simeon, the bill's author and sponsor, said he was pleased it passed easily.

"Sometimes 5 to 10 percent of the study carrels are unused each semester," he said.

The 434 study carrels in the library are presently available for checkout to graduate students, teaching assistants and a limited number of senior honors students only. Simeon's bill states that at the end of the 15th class day of each semester, all library carrels not checked out shall become available to UH students on a daily checkout basis.

Pamela Forbes, a senior library assistant, said 30 to 40 carrels are unused every semester because of their location.

"The ones that aren't checked out are the smaller ones. They make the people feel claustrophobic," Forbes said.

*******************************************************

IF YOU MISSED IT THE FIRST TIME...

BY SALLY POUNCY

The inhabitants of small towns live vicariously. They congregate in pool halls and beauty shops to discuss the latest gossip and dream of what life would be like outside of their town. Somebody's business is everybody's business in Nowheresville, and The Last Picture Show captures it on film.

Recently released on video, Peter Bogdanovich's critically acclaimed 1971 film exploits the hypocrisy of life in a small Texas town during the 1950s.

The cast of The Last Picture Show is crammed full of easily recognizable names: Jeff Bridges, Timothy Bottoms, Randy Quaid, Cloris Leachman, Ellen Bursten, and Ben Johnson. All 20 years younger.

Cybill Shepherd made her motion picture debut in this film. In fact, the movie credits list her as being "introduced" to the big screen. Since then she has starred in the television series Moonlighting and a few movies that, unfortunately, did not have staying power at the box office.

Shepherd plays Jacy, the high school beauty with the love 'em and leave 'em attitude who almost destroys the friendship of Timothy Bottoms' and Jeff Bridges' characters.

Shepherd's Jacy is by far her best character ever.(Sorry Moonlighting fans.) She has a certain touch in The Last Picture Show bringing Jacy's devious thoughts to life through her eyes and accentuating them with the smile of an angel whose wings should be clipped. Unfortunately, Shepherd has lost that touch in her later projects.

McMurtry's sequel to The Last Picture Show, Texasville, is also available for video rental. Most of the cast returns to play their original characters in the sequel.

So on your next trip to that video tape showroom you might want to grab The Last Picture Show for this classic black-and-white slice of life in a small Texas town.

SWC REJECTS TULANE, BIG EIGHT TIES LIKELY

BY JAVIER GONZALEZ

Southwest Conference presidents rejected Tulane University's bid to become the ninth member of the conference at their annual meeting Monday in Dallas.

The presidents instead chose to pursue a television alliance with the Big Eight Conference.

"I am not so sure it was a rejection of Tulane, but a rejection of expanding at this time," Athletic Director Rudy Davalos said.

Tulane was the only school interested in becoming a member of the SWC. The Green Wave would have been the first school to enter the SWC since 1976, when Houston was admitted.

Tulane would have brought the large television market of New Orleans, and inroads for the SWC looking to recruit athletes in Louisiana.

Conference officials were concerned with Tulane's inability to draw people at football games and its inadequate basketball facilities, Davalos said.

Davalos did not rule out the possibility of Tulane becoming a member down the road.

The future of the SWC now rests with a possible television alliance with Big Eight in both football and basketball.

"The process has been slow because the Big Eight has been slow to react to expansion," Davalos said.

"What we have here are two conferences rich in tradition, and we need to find a way both can fit together," he said.

Both conferences have played interconference football games, but the SWC is looking for potential television dollars.

Football schedules could be made out for 1995, and a basketball alliance could be in place as early as the 1992-93 academic year, SWC Commissioner Fred Jacoby said.

"We are discussing every possible option," Jacoby said.

The conference would like to have something in place by the time the College Football Association's television contract runs out in 1994.

KENLAW WINS TOP COACHING AWARD

BY JAVIER GONZALEZ

BY DAILY COUGAR STAFF

Houston Women's Head Basketball Coach Jessie Kenlaw has been named Coach of the Year by the Black Coaches Association.

"I am very honored to receive the award," Kenlaw said. "I am appreciative of the BCA for making it possible."

Winning the award would not have been possible without good players and staff, she said.

The first year head coach led the Lady Cougars to a 20-12 record, including their first national post- season win and a trip to the Women's National Invitational Tournament.

"This is a well deserved honor," Athletic Director Rudy Davalos said. "Jessie Kenlaw did one of the best jobs in the country for a first-year head coach."

Kenlaw said she hopes this will serve as an example to young female black athletes.

"We need to show them that they can be successful in this profession," Kenlaw said. "If I can serve as a role model then I am happy."

WADING THROUGH THE WASTE

BY HEATHER MCLATCHIE

Well, summer is officially here and by Hollywood's calendar, that means it's time to flock to the multiplex near you to sift through an abundance of movie choices.

In all, 62 films are scheduled to debut before Labor Day. The films run the gamut from big budget to smaller independent features, comedies to action-adventures.

Hudson Hawk, now playing at area theaters, is without a doubt, a Bruce Willis action-adventure vehicle. He conceived the story and held enough reign to get his brother an assistant producing credit.

Hawk's is the story of a recent ex-convict's descent back into the life of cat burglary, which got him nailed in the first place.

Danny Aiello appears as Hawk's trusty sidekick and partner in crime while Andie MacDowell plays an undercover nun on assignment from the Vatican.

Written by Daniel Waters (Heathers) and Stephen E. DeSouza (Die Hard), the movie combines a mix of two very different writing styles resulting in a very fast, offbeat, jumbled, and fantastic journey across Europe. Willis fans won't be terribly disappointed. Die Hard fans will want more blood and guts and anger. They won't get it. Hudson Hawk is light, light entertainment.

Another movie now making its way across the big screen with a few really big names is Soapdish, starring Sally Field, Kevin Kline and Whoopie Goldberg. Soapdish centers on the trials and tribulations of a hit soap opera's cast and crew as they battle their own lives and each other.

Field and Kline have perfect timing as a couple thrown back together unwillingly and then realizing maybe things aren't so bad after all. Goldberg appears now and again as the soap's head writer and Field's confidante.

Written by Robert Harling and Andrew Bergman and directed by Michael Hoffman, Soapdish is a fast and funny look at the life inside and out of a soap opera, its cast and crew and their inability to escape its grasp.

HANSEL NAMED OLYMPIC MANAGER

BY JAVIER GONZALEZ

UH Head Swim Coach Phill Hansel has been named manager of the U.S. Olympic Swim Team by the U.S. Swimming Federation.

Hansel will join the U.S. coaching staff as one of three managers under Head Coach Eddie Reese, of the University of Texas at Austin, for the 1992 Olympic team, which will compete in the summer games in Barcelona, Spain.

Hansel said he is happy to be a part of the Olympic team.

"I've wanted this throughout my career," he said. "I've worked very hard to get it."

Hansel, 66, will be in charge of transportation and making sure the athletes have adequate training facilities.

While his duties are mostly behind the scenes, Hansel will also contribute 40 years of swim coach experience, including 22 as head coach at UH, to the Olympic team.

Though this is Hansel's first appointment to the U.S. Olympic team, he does have Olympic experience. He has served for 16 years on the U.S. Olympic Committee, and has also served as head coach of the Singapore Olympic Swim Teams in 1984 and 1988.

He coached former Cougar swimmers Ang Peng Siong and David Lim. Ang was the school's champion in the 50-meter freestyle in 1983.

One of the first major assignments on Hansel's list is the Pan Pacific Games Aug. 22-25 in Edmonton, Canada. The games will serve as a starting point in forming the 1992 U.S. Swim Team.

Hansel will help manage and coach the likes of Olympic champions Matt Biondi and Janet Evans.

Managing the Olympic team will have many rewards and may turn out to be a valuable source of recruiting.

"My appointment is a great lift to our program," he said. "It is an honor for all of us."

Hansel has been selected Southwest Conference Coach of the Year three times, and has been the only swim coach in school history.

He led the Cougars to a 21st place finish in the nation at the 1991 National Collegiate Athletic Association Championships in March.

GERMANS INVADER BUSINESS PROGRAM

BY FRANK ROSSI

Ten German soldiers have invaded the campus to take summer classes.

Don't panic. It's all part of a program executed through the Office of International Student and Scholar Services. For the past three summers, the program has been hosting German soldiers who are entering civilian life, said Steven Poock, an international student counselor with ISS.

"They will officially become civilians sometime during their stay here in the U.S.," he said.

The soldier students will be taking business classes in the College of Business Administration to supplement master's degrees earned in Germany during their military service, Poock said.

After completing their summer classes in August, the students will intern with U.S. businesses or corporations for six weeks before returning to Germany, he said.

Some of the students stay here longer to earn a master's degree in business administration (MBA). They received their other master's degrees at the University of the Armed Forces of Munich, Poock said.

Jack Burke, director of the Office of International Student and Scholar Services, said the program began at the University of Texas at Austin before it came here three years ago.

Two administrators, Klaus Hofmann and Manuela Klingler, also came with the students to help them settle into the university.

They recruit students for the program and are part of the UAF faculty.

"This is a very special program. The students first enter a language training program in Munich, then take classes here, then intern at a U.S. company," Hofmann said.

He said the students are chosen on the basis of grades and language ability.

Both stressed the students' fields of study will be enhanced by business education.

"There is a tremendous need to understand international business dealings," Hofmann said. "This a very good program because it gives soldiers a knowledge of business and a chance to have a career in industry. There is a lack of management skills in the Army."

Klingler said, "We have received positive reactions from each student. They get good job offers."

Hofmann said the program has been utilized by approximately 70 students since its inception at UT, and approximately ten percent of the students stay and receive their MBA's.

The program is funded through a special German government fund which is earmarked for the military.

Both agree this program is intended to prepare Germans for the economic union of Europe in 1992.

The ten students who entered the program this year are: Helmut Grun, Teja Laude, Stephen Prox, Eckhard Schaffors, Manfred Schmitz, Frank Schultze, Marin Schwab, Klaus-Peter Urban, Volker Vormstein, and German Werz.

FORMER FACULTY MEMBER DIES

(NEWS BRIEF)

Herb Kent, a 21-year UH veteran and former assistant dean of the Cullen College of Engineering, died May 16, in Fort Collins, Colorado. Kent recently moved there with his family. He was buried in Denver on May 21.

Kent served as assistant dean of the College of Engineering from 1976 until December 1990.

Before coming to UH, Kent worked in Houston for Reed Roller Bit Company as an industrial analyst and for Childers Manufacturing Company, where he was employed for 20 years. He came to UH in 1970 as executive officer in the chemical engineering department. In 1976, he joined then-Dean of Engineering Abe Dukler as assistant dean of engineering and college administrator.

Kent was awarded the C.F. McElhinney Award in 1982, the highest service awared given to the staff at UH.

To honor Kent's service to the college of engineering at UH, the College of Engineering has established an endowed scholarship fund in his name. Contributions may be sent to the Herbert F. Kent Scholarship Fund, c/o College of Engineering Dean's Office, UH, Houston, TX 77204-4818. For additional information, contact Roger Eichhorn, dean of engineering, at 749-2401.

STAUFFER LEAVES CLEAR LAKE POSITION TO WORK FOR SYSTEM

BY MICHAEL HINES

The UH System must replace its second president in a month after UH-Clear Lake President Thomas Stauffer requested he be assigned to a different position, System Chancellor Alex Schilt announced last month.

Starting July 1, Stauffer, 49, will work closely with the system leadership team in the critical areas of federal and international relations and long-range planning.

UH Downtown President Manuel T. Pacheco, 50, also resigned in May to accept the same position at the University of Arizona in Tucson. He will continue as the campus' president until June 11.

Richard Levy, UH System spokesman, said interims for the two positions have yet to be decided. George Magner will probably be named the downtown campus interim at a meeting this month, he said.

Dell Felder, the senior vice chancellor who will conduct the search, will recommend an interim for the Clear Lake position in a couple of weeks, he said.

"It will probably take a year to choose the full-time replacements," Levy said. "That's typical of a UH search."

Since Stauffer took over the reigns in June 1982, UH-Clear Lake has experienced an increase of more than 25 percent in enrollment. The faculty number has also increased to 200 full-time members, up from 83. All academic programs also have become accredited by appropriate national and state accrediting bodies during his tenure.

"The university has made tremendous progress in every way under Dr. Stauffer's capable leadership," Schilt said.

Stauffer said he has enjoyed his stay at UH-Clear Lake.

"I am pleased with the professional integrity with which the administration and university have operated over the past nine years," he said.

But Stauffer has also had his share of conflicts with the faculty at Clear Lake. In December 1989, Stauffer dismissed tenured professor Chris Downs following an exchange of charges of sexual harassment with a former student.

In 1990, Stauffer recommended Downs be dismissed after reversing the recommendations of a faculty grievance committee. The UH-Clear Lake Faculty Senate then approved a motion of "no confidence" against the president concerning his decision.

Following a brief legal struggle, Downs was reinstated by the UH Board of Regents in January 1991.

BUDGET CUTS CAUSE CLASS SHORTAGES, CONFLICT WITH COLLEGE REQUIREMENTS

BY RANDY BAZAN

!Ay caramba!, why can't I get into a beginning Spanish class?

Students all across UH are asking themselves this very question.

Because the state is facing a possible $4.6 billion deficit, UH was forced to return 1.6 percent of its instructional budget.

One department hit hard by the budget problems is Hispanic and Classical Languages. Since all students going for bachelor of art degrees in either the College of Humanities and Fine Arts or the College of Social Sciences have a foreign language requirement, the demand for classes surpasses the supply.

As the schedule now stands, there will be five 1501 classes for Fall '91. Last fall, there were about 11. But this could change if the state doesn't approve a tax increase and UH faces additional cuts.

Dennis Parle, chair of the Department of Hispanic and Classical Languages, said the deficit has forced him to cut the number of Spanish 1501 classes offered for the fall to make higher level classes (1502, 2301 and 2302) available to students who've already completed 1501.

The department offers an equal number of follow-up classes, from semester to semester, so students who have gotten into the Spanish classes can complete their requirement.

"My commitment is that once you get into 1501, I'll do everything I can to get you out," he said.

This summer, UH is not offering any 1501 classes. Last summer two were offered.

Parle's department recently issued a letter to students trying to get into classes, explaining the problem and encouraging students to write to their legislators on behalf of UH. He said students need to realize that they need to get involved in the lobby effort since it's their education on the line.

"We've let students know they have a role in this themselves," Parle said. "We are trying to tell students that it's out of our hands and we have no control over it."

However, foreign language courses are not unique. Cuts like the ones made in the Spanish program are taking place all across the campus, said Harrell Rodgers, dean of the College of Social Sciences and chair of UH's Legislative Relations Committee.

Rodgers said across the core curriculum, the university has had to reduce the number of sections and increase class enrollment.

Parle said he won't raise Spanish class enrollments above 30 students because the first year puts an emphasis on listening and speaking, which becomes increasingly difficult as class size grows.

TFA ADS PROMPT FLOW OF MERIT SYSTEM GRIPES

BY CHRIS PAYNE

If the response received by the Texas Faculty Association is any indication, a large number of UH faculty are disgruntled with the university's merit system of awarding raises.

TFA ran two ads in The Daily Cougar April 24-25, encouraging UH faculty to send in their grievances concerning salary discrimination. Louis Bolieu, TFA president, said that to date, TFA has received 47 responses, ranging from letters to packets.

"Basically, what we're discovering is that women are payed at a lower rate than men doing the same teaching load, the same level of service, the same level of research," Bolieu said. "We are discovering a lot of what we are yet undecided to call age discrimination or salary compression."

Bolieu said the problem of low faculty morale has escalated to an alarming level.

"It (low faculty morale) exists to a distressing degree. A lot of faculty reaching middle age that have given 20-plus years of service and continue to be productive are demoralized over the level of their salary. All of the sudden, they have realized this and they are fighting mad about it," Bolieu said.

The merit system awards faculty raises based on the amount of research done, such as published papers and grants -- often at the expense of teaching, Bolieu said.

"The message is clear -- if you want tenure or to get promoted, you've got to sacrifice teaching to get published," he said.

Physics Professor Hugh Hudson said there are many examples of the merit system being used to punish those instructors who don't go along with the administration's "touted line" and reward those who go after grants.

Said Hudson, "There is a lot of rewarding the party-liners and punishing the dissidents. The thrust for salary is to get grants to get a raise. If you do students -- fine -- but don't do them too much."

TFA has hired a top-flight research specialist to conduct a comprehensive analysis on UH's faculty woes, Bolieu said. When the research is completed, TFA will submit a class action grievance to university administration.

"The appropriate means of getting the problem addressed is a class action grievance, because that formalizes the issues," Bolieu said. "That way, (the administration) can't just wring its hands and study the problem indefinitely and do nothing."

UH often hires new instructors at salary levels exceeding the wages made by veteran faculty, causing salary compression. Faculty Senate President John Bernard said this phenomenon exists as a result of being involved in the market model, whereby the university can only get good instructors by offering competitive wages.

However, Bolieu said salary compression is not responsible for inequities in the merit system.

Bolieu said a solution to the problem would be the installation of a salary schedule, which could contain merit system elements, such as annual merit awards, but would award raises based on seniority and scholarly achievement.

Bolieu said the salary schedule system is used by the 20-college California State University System, which has California faculty "pleased as punch."

Bernard said the Faculty Senate is trying to take a broader role in seeing that faculty issues have a louder voice with the administration. He said he is satisfied so far that the administration is doing what it can.

"I don't have any reason to question the intentions of the administration, but you know what they say about the road to hell," Bernard said. "We're dealing with a significant amount of money and, obviously, if you have these high aspirations for a research university, the money is going to go there (research).

"Ultimately, what your talking about is status, but under the present scrutiny, the university doesn't profit in a monetary way from research. The amount of money for Paul Chu is an investment in status terms -- paying money for visible work that brings prestige to the university.

"But the vast majority (of faculty) are not Paul Chus; they are concerned about their livelihood. For most of them, their standard of living has gone down in the last few years," Bernard said.

Hudson, who has been at UH for 29 years, said past administrations at UH have failed to put their money where their mouths are.

"As far as I'm concerned, they (the administration) are tested on what they do," Hudson said. "Historically, the administrations have paid lip-service to teaching and put their money in other places."