SPRING FEE INCREASE APPEARS LIKELY

BY MICHAEL OESER

The cap on student service fees increased by 66 percent Sunday, Joe Henry, Students' Association director of external affairs said.

Texas Senate bills 1000 ("The Fee Bill") and 1135 ("The UH Fee Bill") became law at midnight when Gov. Ann Richards returned them unsigned, he said.

The two bills, which deal with Texas higher education, one specifically with the UH system, leave the door open for school officials to raise the student service fee to $150 from the present $90.

"The student service fee can be raised up to 10 percent per year without student referendum," Henry said. "If the students agree to raise it with their approval by vote, then the fee can be raised directly to $150."

"The bill actually goes into effect August 26," he said. "I'm uncertain whether it will affect us this fall."

Rodger Peters, SSFPAC chair, said the board of regents will decide whether to raise the fee. He also said the earliest the fee can be increased will be in the spring semester, when it could be as high as $99.

"We have a proposal on (President Marguerite Ross) Barnett's desk at this moment," Peters said. "We propose that the service fee be increased by a maximum of only 5 percent each year and go to student referendum for anything higher. That's about $3 each year. We don't need a 10 percent increase. That's way too much money."

The SA senate passed a bill at its meeting Monday which reasserted its opposition to increasing the student service fee cap.

"There's a definite need for the service fee to be increased," Peters said. "There has been a steady increase in the rate of inflation. There has been an increase in utilities, phone bills, mailing."

Peters said the fee increase would not have to occur yearly. "Every year there will be an adjustment period. SSFPAC will look at the budget and decide if we need to increase the fee."

"If we could get the SA behind our proposal, then the students could do a better job of allocating the funds from the fees," he said.

Barnett said an increase was uncertain at this time, and the decision to raise the fee would be the responsibility of the board of regents.

"I haven't talked to anyone specifically about the bill. It will be discussed in detail at the meeting on June 26th," she said.

Barnett also said she had not seen the proposal from SSFPAC.

SA President Michael Berry said he opposes an increase because he feels there is no need for one now.

"Speaking for the student body as a representative of them, I don't think the student body wants any increase," Berry said. "I will lobby against any increase regardless of how I feel personally. There will be a need for an increase in the future because of inflation. Right now I don't believe there is a need for an increase."

The Budget Advisory Council, responsible for approving and amending the budget, will meet today from 3 to 5 p.m. in room 220 of the Ezekiel W. Cullen Building.

*******************************************************

CIVIL RIGHTS FILMS AT MFA

BY GEORGEANN SHEPARD

Only a dozen people saw the second half of the film exhibit documenting the Civil Rights movement of the '60s held at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston on June 9.

The exhibit, which contains 10 selections of film footage from news programs and feature films made during the early '60s, was presented in conjunction with the museum's exhibit, "Martin Luther King and The Civil Rights Movement." The footage comes from the archives of the Peabody Awards, a collection of award-winning television broadcasts.

The film series is called The Glaring Light: Television Coverage of the Civil Rights Movement in the Peabody Collection. The title is derived from a quote by Martin Luther King, Jr.: "We are here today to say to the white men that we will no longer let them use their clubs in dark corners. We are going to make them do it in the glaring light of television."

Film footage contains powerful images that many people today, especially of this generation. Black shop owners with guns threatening to revolt. White shop owners closing down their businesses because of looters and petty thieves.

The film within this collection that best documents the struggle of the civil rights movement, however, is one that doesn't show sit-ins or riots. Same mud, same blood, a news special documenting race relations during the Vietnam War, presents an ironic and tragic view of racism within a social structure that demolishes all boundaries of race, color or creed. The soldiers in the film regard each other as equals, both physically and mentally. When told of the violence and turmoil of the Civil Rights movement, all the soldiers reacted with equal horror and incredulence to the strikes, riots and sit-ins.

It is sad and pathetic that something as tragic and destructive as war must act as the catalyst to promote equality among men. Perhaps, in these soldiers' minds, they were never there to begin with. But it is hard to ignore the fact that certain forces were notably absent in Vietnam -- racial intolerance and bigotry. Unfortunately this presentation, which illustrates some vitally important but little known sides of the Civil Rights struggle, left town silently, punctuating the notion that unless it goes national, it goes unnoticed.

POLICE BEAT

BY FRANK ROSSI

THEFT

6/7, 2:30 p.m. -- 11:20 p.m., Cougar Place, $4 (from an unsecured purse).

6/11 -- (4 thefts)

12 p.m. -- 12:30 p.m., Gasoline-powered trimmer taken from General Services.

11 p.m. -- 12 p.m., Book taken from an individual at M.D. Anderson Library.

12 p.m. -- 8:15 p.m., Taub Hall, Four shirts taken from a closet in a private room.

6 p.m.(6/9) -- 10 a.m., Jewerly and money taken from a private room at Cambridge Oaks Apartments.

6/12 -- (5 thefts)

12:27 a.m., An unsecured bicycle taken from Cambridge Oaks Apartments.

10:25 a.m. -- 10:30 a.m., A book stolen from an individual at M.D. Anderson Library.

10:15 a.m. -- 10:30 a.m., A book stolen from an individual in a separate incident at M.D. Anderson Library.

2:09 p.m., M.D. Anderson Library, A book taken from the library -- suspect caught and given a Class C citation, then released.

6:30 p.m. (6/11) -- 12:32 a.m., Two unsecured bicycles stolen from Cambridge Oaks Apartments.

6/13, 1:40 p.m., A wallet stolen from M.D. Anderson Library.

VANDALISM

6/1, 6 p.m., Lot 2B, damaged driver side door lock on vehicle.

6/12, 9:50 a.m. -- 2:30 p.m., Lot 19A, damaged vehicle.

6/13, 10:30 a.m. -- 11:11 a.m., Entrance 14, scratches on left side of vehicle

MISCELLANEOUS

6/1, 6 p.m., E. Cullen Building, A complainant reported she received threatening phone calls from her ex-husband.

6/5 -- 6/10, General Services, complainant reported a series of threatening letters and phone calls to his office.

6/1 -- 6/12, Moody Towers, complainant reported receiving hang-up and obscene phone calls in her private room.

6/13, 5:06 a.m., two visitors arrested for criminal trespass in M.D. Anderson Library (not a break-in).

DRAMA FESTIVAL INTRODUCING KIDS TO

CULTURAL ARTS AT UH WORHTAM

BY NITA HILL

The campus is being invaded by munchkins.

Yes, the UH Children's Theater Festival at the Wortham Theater is back for another summer season. It is an opportunity for area children to see not only UH talent, but also that of other paid professional actors.

"We are interested in bringing in top quality entertainment in a state-of-the-art facility," said Suzanne Cravens, associate director of the Wortham Theater said.

The festival is currently showing Pinocchio, which will run through June 25. Upcoming shows are The Wolf and the Foolish Little Kids, running July 3-19 and The Woman Who Knew the Language of Animals, running July 30-August 14.

The festival originated in 1978 when Rice Playwrite in Residence Brenda Dubay and UH Drama Chair Sidney Berger decided Houston needed a good theater for children.

"Our philosophy is to do the best of theater we can afford to do because we are raising the next generation of theatergoers," Cravens said.

Children's tickets for a single play range from $3-$4 depending on the size of the group. Adult tickets are $5. The summer season rate for children is $9.50 and $12.50 for adults.

"We believe that all good art should be affordable," Cravens said. "Even at $3 a ticket, there are people who can't afford that, so we do provide grants and space for children from indigent families from low-income community centers."

Cravens said that although the festival sells between 98 and 100 percent of capacity, they still find it necessary to raise funds throughout the year. It receives donations from corporations, individuals, foundations and government agencies.

AAS TO RECOGNISE HOLIDAY

BY DAI HUYNH

African-American Studies holds its first annual Juneteenth Emancipation Celebration today to commemorate June 19, 1865, when Texas slaves first discovered they had been freed.

Two years after the 1863 Emancipation Proclamation, a messenger on mule back delivered the words of freedom to slaves in Texas.

Juneteenth celebrates when all United States slaves were finally freed, said African-American Studies Director Elizabeth Brown-Guillory.

For most Black Americans, Juneteenth is a time to pray and rejoice upon their hard-earned freedom. It is also the time for Blacks to reflect on their heritage and celebrate things to come in the future, she said.

"It's a wonderful thing to know that we're the product of people who have struggled and survived slavery. We can gain strength from this, enabling us to move forward and to be whole," Brown-Guillory said.

Juneteenth was declared an official holiday in 1979 by Gov. William Clements. It is the first and only state-wide holiday in recognition of an event involving Black people.

AAS' Juneteenth commemoration will be from noon to 3 p.m. at 315 Agnes Arnold Hall. Speakers will include mayoral candidate Sylvester Turner and human rights activist Omowale-Luthuli Allen.

-- Dai Huyn

HANDICAPPED STUDENTS SEEK END TO

FIGHTING AMOUNG HSS TOP BRASS

BY MICHAEL OESER

Imagine being bedridden: unable to get across campus and into class.

Imagine lying there for hours, days, or even weeks, faced with your grades taking a nosedive.

That's what some handicapped students feel they may be facing if something

isn't done soon.

On April 18, 14 students, all of them dependent on wheelchairs and attendant care, signed a petition asking Vice President for Student Affairs Roland Smith to look into problems within the Handicapped Student Services office.

Conflict between HSS Coordinator Karen Waldman and her staff have already led to the resignation and replacement of the Attendant Care Services Manager Jeanette Frelix and may lead to the resignation of Keith Johnston, staff wheelchair repairman.

"These people directly affect our ability to function at the university," said Cathy McClelland, one of the signatories.

Johnston said he may leave as a result of harassment and "the interoffice games that go on."

Johnston received a written reprimand and threat of termination from Waldman concerning his "overly aggressive manner of communication."

In the letter and in subsequent letters, Waldman accuses Johnston of knocking over office furniture and threatening office staff.

Johnston said he has neither knocked over any office furniture in anger nor threatened other staff members.

He said these misunderstandings may have stemmed from his coarse sense of humor carried by his booming voice from his six-foot-plus frame.

These letters were circulated to David Small, assistant vice president for student affairs; the Texas Rehabilitation Commission (one of Johnston's employers); Smith and the UH campus Human Resources Department.

Smith asked Small to investigate the situation in HSS. Small held several interviews with the staff and students to resolve Johnston's problem and other grievances held by the students.

In those interviews, Small said he found there had been some differences between Waldman and her staff but that most of these problems were being worked out.

"The important thing to remember here is that all parties concerned are working towards the improvement of services," Small said.

One of the main grievances Small addressed was the unavailability of the director for conferences.

Small said, "I asked them if Karen had ever been unavailable for conferences by appointment and everyone said no."

Small said the problem was that Waldman was less available for walk-in conferences because of her success with the program.

"The program is a victim of its own success. Karen has brought more students to the program and has done more for the program with the same resources," Small said.

Small said some of the students he talked to said they regretted signing the petition.

He said they told him they did so only because they were coerced: they were afraid of losing Johnston's services and of possibly being ostracized if they didn't sign.

McClelland, a senior English major, said the students who are retracting their signatures are afraid of retribution from the HSS offices in the form of lost services.

"These people are in control of our taking tests and being able to use services to get a term paper typed," McClelland said.

Waldman says such concerns are unwarranted.

The signatories later requested a meeting with Waldman, Small, Johnston and Frelix in an attempt to discuss these problems in the open.

One of the conditions they put on the meeting was that Johnston and Frelix be allowed to participate at some point and they secured assurances to that effect.

McClelland said she and the other signatories left the meeting after two hours and after being told that Johnston and Frelix were not going to be allowed to participate.

Small said he made no such assurances and that the meeting was between he and the signatories.

As of now, Johnston said he still may leave if the "games" don't stop and if he doesn't receive an apology from Waldman.

Since then, Waldman said she has written Johnston and assured him of his job security.

The signatories of the petition are planning another meeting for the fall when all of the participants are back at school.

COMIC BOOK FLIES HIGH ON FILM

BY SHANE BOYLE

The Rocketeer is not only the hottest movie of the summer, it is also the best live action Disney film of all time and one of the best Disney films since Fantasia.

This $40 million production had humble beginnings as a comic book that commercial artist Dave Stevens wrote and illustrated in his spare time. It debuted in 1982 as a backup feature for Starslayer #2 and later spun off into a series called Pacific Presents ... The Rocketeer.

The series has been published off and on by three publishers over the past years, but only seven issues have been published so far (the first five were reprinted as a graphic novel). Yet The Rocketeer has managed to maintain the cult following that it has had from the start.

As stated in the credits, the movie is based primarily on the graphic novel. Set in 1938, it is the story of pilot Cliff Secord who finds a jet pack that a thief stashed in Secord's plane after a car chase between the feds and a gang of criminals.

Cliff's decision to keep the pack results in trouble with both sides of the law for Cliff, and jet speed fun for the audience. Ultimately he ends up using the pack for justice and not for money. That's where the "hero" part of the superhero comes from.

In addition to being a fun, heroic story, this film is also a special effects masterpiece. The flying scenes are flawlessly performed with the help of Industrial Light and Magic, the studio of George Lucas et al.

Fans of The Rocketeer will be pleased to know that the Disney people even got the costume right. Fans, however, may be disappointed by some of the changes Disney made. A discreet scene by Cliff's girlfriend, Betty, does not appear even though it is one of the most famous scenes in the graphic novel. Dave Steven's voluptuous Betty is based on Bettie Page, a model from the fifties.

Even more unfortunately, they censored Betty out of the picture and replaced her with the beautiful -- but -- innocent Jenny Blake.

Still, The Rocketeer is a great film that is worth seeing. This movie is so good it may finally bring back the dignity comic based movies lost from such recent films as Dick Tracy The Punisher, Captain America, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze.

The Rocketeer opens this Friday and, in case you are wondering what to do with the rest of the weekend, Comix Fair IX also starts this Friday and runs through Sunday. Russ Heath, inker for The Rocketeer and the Shadow Graphic novel, Hitler's Astrologer, will be among the guests at this convention. Comix Fair IX is being held at the Holiday Inn-Medical Center located at the corner of S. Main and Holcombe. For more information, call 797-1110.

JAZZIN' IT UP AT THE WOODLANDS

BY CHRIS ENGLISH

Saturday June 8, the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion played host to a large slice of Americana, the annual JVC Jazz Fest.

Jazz enthusiasts (those enthusiastic enough to drive all the way out to the Woodlands) came to hear the lineup which included big names like Wynton Marsalis, Michael Franks, the Neville Brothers, Take 6, as well as upcoming artists like the Yellowjackets and the Jazz Futures.

The show began early that afternoon at 4 p.m. with the Jazz Futures. Quickly getting the audience's attention, this talented collection of musicians poured some soul in the bebop tradition of Duke, Coltrane and Parker. There was some excellent Mingus-inspired double-bass work and a little pounding on the ivories in a sassy rendition of the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" that would have made Ellington proud.

Next up were the Neville Brothers. Though they do hail from New Orleans, the Neville Brothers' music is R & B in color, with Caribbean and zydeco influences rather than jazz.

Though there was an obvious appeal for them at the Festival, their inclusion seemed more of a tactic by JVC to insure ticket sales, as well as Take 6, the a capella gospel group who leaned more towards Bobby McFerrin. The Neville Brothers played a few songs from Grammy winner Aaron Neville's solo work to plug it as well as their own joint work.

Wynton Marsalis and his band took the stage with less energy than one would expect from the top billing, but then again Marsalis is more of a musician than a performer. Wynton chose to take a more subordinate role to the band than stand out with trumpet acrobatics. Those who attended the jazz fest to see that were probably disappointed, but those who went to hear jazz probably appreciated the excellent old-fashioned Dixieland he and his band dished out.

The Yellowjackets rounded off the Dixieland with a touch of Birdland, or more precisely, what Bird left behind him. This fusion band played with proficiency and style, but not much energy either. A good band, but not enough character of their own to leave the turntables just yet.

Michael Franks provided the character they needed as he wound up the festival. His cool, happy, Californian style added the spice as the Yellowjackets backed him up to play some of the crowds favorites such as "When I'm Alone at Night" and "Blue Pacific," warranting two encores, and finishing up the seven hour marathon of music for the Festival.

PC: SOME SAY TREND IS FORM

OF MIND CONTROL

BY DAI HUYNH

Censoring and penalizing speech offensive to minorities, women and homosexuals is a development viewed by many professors as potentially jeopardizing to basic principles of liberal education and academic freedom.

The politically correct trend that is spreading across university campuses is a form of "thought control," said Psychology Professor Joseph M. Horn . Horn was asked to resign as an associate dean of liberal arts at the University of Texas at Austin when he questioned the merit of several changes the university made in its core curriculum to accommodate the university's affirmative action program.

Horn voiced his objection when he discovered that a newly created freshman composition class main objective was on racism and sexism.

The textbook used in the classroom gave only one side of the argument, saying that whites are guilty of racism and males instigate sexism, Horn said. An English course should deal with literature not with politics, he added.

According to Horn, UT's English Department asked him to resigned because he was making speeches on campus that did not agree with its policy on multiculturalism and affirmative actions. Horn's questioning the merit of affirmative action was not politically correct, the multiculturalism movement would say.

However, opponents would say that the so called "politically correct thinkers," are practicing academic restraint by unjustly condemning Horn for his beliefs.

The fad of politically correctness going on campuses today is stifling freedom of expression, Horn said. Some school even have restrictive speech code, a list of unacceptable words that might be offensive to minorities.

Today, politically correct means one must support and promote multiculturalism and gay rights, to name only a few. Sensitivity to views, ideas and cultures of minority groups is essential in politically correct thinking. Therefore, to prevent offending anyone, censorship of speech, the press and ideas is deemed necessary.

This places restrictions on individuals when political correct thinkers try to control the language to allow everyone to feel equal, Communication Professor Garth Jowett said.

For instance, when referring to a handicapped person, political correct individuals must refer to them as being "differently able," and non-handicapped person as "temporarily able," he said.

"What a lot of professors are concern about is the way in which the so called politically correct language imposes a certain view on everybody. It can sometime go to ridiculous extremes, such as Smith College for example, where you're not suppose to make any references to how somebody looks," Jowett said.

UH English professor Sam Southwell is one of those individuals going against the tide of political correctness. Although, Southwell believes that students should be aware of other cultures, he is concerned that there is a growing consensus to downgrade the importance of Western culture.

"I feel people who speak English, people who have been raised in the Western culture need to read Shakespeare, Chaucer, Milton and Pope," he said. "You have only one chance to understand a culture well, and that should be your own because it's a part of you. There's no way you're going to understand another culture better than you can your own, and you can't understand other cultures unless you understand your own," Southwell said.

Southwell is not alone in his beliefs. There is a growing number of professors who are questioning the merit of multiculturalism and affirmative action.

However, few are willing to voice their beliefs because of the pressure of political correctness, Southwell said.

Jowett, who integrate other cultures into his teaching, believes that opposition to multiculturalsim lies in the fact that America has always adhere to the idea that it can do all by itself.

"Therefore, it had tended to ignore other cultures, and with the hope that all the people that come to this country would become part of the melting pot," he said. "Well, the melting pot theory is not working well. We find now what we have instead is a mosaic. We're not homogenized."

Secondly, Americans naturally rebel against imposing ideas or opinions on an individual, he added.

"But the question of imposition of multicultural perspective is something that will eventually have to happen. Because if we continue down the road to this mosaic kind of society than each group will want to have itself recognized," Jowett said.

UT's Assistant Vice President for Administration Lewis Wright refused to answer if Horn's resignation was brought about by his politically incorrect beliefs.

The issue of politically correct detracts from the real issue, he said. "Persons of color have not been serve well by the institutions, and universities are now in the process of trying to redress this problem. This is were the focus should be. Forget the label (political correct) and debate on the issues instead," Wright said.

VISTA PROGRAM HELPS FIND

JOBS FOR FAMILIES

BY JERRY HOLMES

Most low-income families don't want handouts, they want marketable skills. And they need someone to show them how to get those skills.

That's why the Houston VISTA Program will recruit volunteers from UH at 11 a.m. Thursday in room 106 of the Student Service Center.

Volunteers In Service To America is a full-time, year-long volunteer program for men and women of all ages and backgrounds who are committed to increasing the capability of low-income people and help them learn to improve the conditions of their lives.

VISTA volunteers are assigned to local sponsors, which may be state or local agencies or private, non-profit organizations. The Houston VISTA program has been assigned to the Mental Health Authority of Harris County.

Harvey Beeler, a VISTA volunteer and 1984 UH graduate, said "VISTA is the domestic counterpart of the Peace Corps."

The VISTA volunteers work in poverty to alleviate poverty.

Volunteers live and work among the poor to serve the needs of the urban area. They share their skills and experience in fields of literacy, employment training, food distribution, shelter for the homeless, neighborhood revitalization and alcohol and drug abuse prevention.

VISTA volunteers receive a subsistence allowance and a stipend to cover housing, food and incidentals. The allowance totals approximately $620 per month and VISTA provides comprehensive health coverage during service.

Since it was started in 1965, VISTA has dispatched more than 100,000 volunteers to community projects across the country.

Today, about 3,000 volunteers work in 660 VISTA projects in the United States. "After serving as a VISTA for one year, VISTAs receive an uncompetitive entry into state or federal job openings," Beeler said. One of the most notable VISTAs is Sen. John D. (Jay) Rockefeller IV, D-W.Va.

A VISTA Volunteer must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States and at least 18 years of age.

EXHIBITION CHRONICLES KING FROM

SELMA TO MEMEPHIS

BY TRAVIS BAKER

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

He was one of America's greatest leaders and the Museum of Fine Arts is currently exhibiting a collection of 44 photographs commemorating his trials and triumphs during the turbulant struggle for Civil Rights.

Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement chronicles King's courageous promotion of racial equality and the tireless pursuit of his dream. It explores the passions that followed him, both those that sought to aid his cause and those that sought to destroy it.

The photographers -- Fredrick Baldwin, Benedict J. Fernandez III, Louise Martin and Moneta Sleet, Jr. -- document the movement from its beginnings with the Montgomery bus boycott in 1955, through King's famous march on Washington in 1963 and his acceptance of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964. The show culminates with King's tragic assassination on April 4, 1968 and the funeral at which a nation mourned.

Upon entering the exhibit one is first drawn by the cheering crowds and full, rich voice of Dr. King's "I have a dream" speech which is continuously played on a T.V., recreating for those that have never seen it the power and awe of perhaps the greatest oration ever.

One cannot help but sit and listen to a man with such charisma of character and power in voice, and one cannot help but feel a great compassion for all of the peoples of the earth, regardless of color or class.

As the dream continues to sink into the psyche one begins to enter the turbulant world of King. Collectively, the photographs offer a multi-dimensional view of the civil right's leader as man, legend and martyr, encompassing the broad range of his work.

Leading the exhibit is not a photo of King, but of a young man protesting in Savannah, Ga. He is part of a group marching on the city council and he bears a sign reading "Freedom or death."

Then there is the photograph of King speaking. His hand is outstreached in compassionate plea and an almost angelic light falls upon him. This picture aptly demonstrates the divine ferver with which he pursued his dream.

A shot of King catching some much needed sleep on an airplane to Oslo to receive the Nobel prize, reveals something of his character. His face is calm though his body has been crammed into the uncomfortable seats and even in this unguarded moment there still exists a majestic quality to this mortal man.

The most powerful photo is that of King and fellow activists marching from Selma to Montgomery in support of a lone man who had attempted the same march one month earlier, only to be killed along the way.

In the photograph, King is linked arm in arm with his followers. Rain beats down and his raincoat is wrapped about him like a medieval monk. Looking battle-tested and resolute his mouth is open wide in song. The picture is a microcosm of King's struggle. Through everything and through all, hail and heartbreak he will lead his people to the promised land.

Finally, the most tragic picture is that of Coretta Scott King at her husband's funeral. In this simple portrait is written a thousand emotions. Across her face can be seen the sorrow of death, the pride of life, the tragedy and pain of a great man's passing. In her tears a nation weeps, knowing the future without King is full of both fear and hope.

Vincent Harding said of the struggle for Black freedom, "(It is) flowing like a river, sometimes powerful, tumulting and rolling with life, at other times marching and turgid, covered with ice and snow of seemingly endless winters, all too often streaked and running with blood ... the river's struggle is people, but it is also hope."

Martin Luther King and The Civil Rights Movement documents this struggle with great sensitivity and compassion. The only possible criticism would be that the size of the exhibit could have been larger. A man of King's stature deserves a greater hall in which to be mourned.

For King was not just the leader of a people. In his brief life he changed the very thoughts of a nation. With his Ghandi inspired non-violent protests and his gift for speech, he made a segregated America take a cold hard look at the very principles upon which it was founded and change forever the way in which it lived.

The show continues through

July 14 and is accompanied by a film series. This is not an exhibit to be limited as honoring a great "Black" leader nor should it be seen only by African-Americans. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. stood for much more than the advancement of one race. His struggle was for equality, not power, and all people white and Black, Jew and Gentile, Protestant and Catholic, all people should experience the life of a man that died for his dream.