COMET PORTENDS MINORITY STUDETN SUCCESS

BY REGAN D. DICKINSON

This summer was a very important one for a group of 20 minorities as they strive to get more out of a world that they believe is often unfair to them.

The group grew up in southeast Houston not far from the UH campus, where poverty is a way of life and the future often seems bleak. "Here we have a chance to prove that people, especially minorities, are products of their environment," said Edward Harris, a graduate student in engineering who is an advisor to the students.

"The program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy and is called the College Option for Minorities in Engineering and Technology (COMET). The COMET program is done with the cooperation of UH, HCC and Upward Bound," Harris said.

Upward Bound is a campus organization that provides assistance to disadvantaged students to help them make the transition to a college setting.

"I come from a minority community and lower socio-economic group, yet I was able to overcome the obstacles that often face those who come from humble beginnings," Harris said.

"I have observed the students as they built various structures with balsa wood using principles of mathematics and physics. The amazing thing is that they use no calculators or paper but design these structures using only mental pictures," he said.

Friday morning three of the COMET students were chosen to make a presentation to the people responsible for the program, including two Department of Energy officials.

Roger Eichhorn, dean of the Colleg of Engineering, said the Department of Energy's support of this project is up for renewal and a contract would be discussed later that day.

The three students chosen to make the presentation, Dana McCann, Raymond Larrdsquitu and Khoa Vu, made a strong case to continue the program.

`Minorities are on the low end of the scale economically and socially. That needs to change. This program and others like it are important in order to facilitate that change," Larrdsquitu said.

"I'm going back to my community to tell them about my success and how they can have that same success," McCann said. "I don't know where I would be without ya'll. I have direction in my life and the drive to be successful."

*******************************************************

MAGNER, GEORKE PRESIDING

BY CHRIS PAYNE

Former UH interim President George Magner has once again polished off his president's shoes to take the interim post at UH-Downtown.

Having already been in office at UH-Downtown since June 3, Magner was officialy named president by the UH Board of Regents June 26.

UH-Victoria President Glenn Goerke was appointed president at UH-Clear Lake. He will replace Thomas Stauffer, who will go on to the system-level position of assistant to the chancellor in federal and international relations.

Magner said he expects that a permanent president will be chosen by the end of the year. He was the main campus' interim president for 14 months before the arrival of Marguerite Ross Barnett.

He said he will return to his role as a professor in the Graduate School of Social Work when the permanent position is filled.

"At this point in my career I'm not looking for a major advancement role," Magner said. "But I'm delighted and willing to serve in this capacity.

"You know, I came here 13 years ago and was provost for seven years. I feel very strongly not only about the UH main campus, but also the system."

With only 70 square feet per student, 23 feet less than the 93 feet required by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, UH-Downtown is projected to grow at a rate of 3 to 5 percent a year for the next several years.

Former UH-Downtown President Manuel Pacheco, who left the university bursting at its

seams to take the presidency at the University of Arizona, estimated UH-Downtown will need to add 200,000 to 250,000 square feet of space to meet the state-required standards as well as to allow for projected growth.

Magner said plans are in the works to construct a new student service center, which would help alleviate UH-Downtown's overcrowding, but unless the Texas Legislature does higher education some favors in its upcoming special session, UH-Downtown could have "a hard couple of years."

UH-Downtown, with an enrollment of about 9,000 students, is an open-admissions, soley undergraduate university. Magner said the univerisity doesn't want to have to close its doors to potential students.

"Number one, we're an open-admissions university, which means there's open access to everyone who qualifies," he said. "We're the only university in the city with no single ethnic minority.

"We represent very closely the ethnic representation in this area. We don't want to block access or get to point were we can't take anymore people."

At UH-Clear Lake, where students were unable to get into 42 percent of all undergraduate classes last fall, Goerke also faces overcrowding problems. The university, with an enrollment of about 7,600, has had to move into a local high school for additional classroom space.

"The university is growing up and more space, hopefully, means additional academic programs," Goerke said. "I think the campus is in very good shape. For the past 10 years the growth has been just remarkable."

`I`M NOT FREE,' MARSHALL SAYS AFTER RETIRING

BY DAI HUYNH

He stood alone beside a railroad track waiting to board the next train when a white man with a large pistol dangling on his hips approached him. The man stopped in front of him, and in a quiet menacing voice told him to be on the next train out because the sun would never set on a live black man in that town.

Alarmed, Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall took the first train out and to this very day recalls what it is like to be a black man in America.

Marshall often cites his experiences in the Jim Crow days when segregation was viewed as acceptable. Although segregation is now outlawed, he continues to say "I'm not free."

When asked at a news conference Friday about ways to improve race relations in America, Marshall replied "I don't believe there is anybody in the United States of America that doesn't know what he or she can do to better race relations."

But to many, Marshall represents the strength that propelled this nation away from segregation and toward racial equality. Marshall helped pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and dur

ing his years as counsel to the NAACP, he won the landmark case of Brown vs. Board of Education that abolished public school segregation.

Impressed by Marshall's accomplishments, President Lyndon Johnson appointed him to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1967, making him the first African-American on the nation's highest court. Until the announcement of his retirement Thursday, for 24 years Marshall fervently fought for the rights of minorities, criminal defendants, the disadvantaged and free speech.

"He has made a monumental contribution to the advancement of individual rights and especially in relation to the rights of the disadvantaged classes of America. He was a champion of attempts to remove those barriers of legal discrimination," Law Professor Sidney Buchanan said.

Although Marshall said that he is resigning because of health problems, some professors believe that his frustration with the current conservative Supreme Court prompted his decision to retire.

"His unhappiness is very clear in the most recent decision that he dissented vigorously and he can't win. He is just one vote," Political Science Professor Richard Murray said.

In his last dissent, Marshall criticized his colleagues for their radical interpretation of law, which previews an "even broader and more far-reaching assault upon this court's precedents."

Buchanan said, "Marshall sees the court slipping away from him in terms of philosophy and that only enforced his desire to get out."

In a recent decision, the Supreme Court made it harder for death-row inmates and other criminals to appeal in federal court. Marshall, who was among the dissenters, once wrote that "There is but one conclusion that can be drawn (from the history of capital punishment) -- the death penalty is excessive and unnecessary punishment that violates the 8th Amendment."

With Marshall's retirement, some

professors see the end of the liberal era. Unlike the 1960s and 1970s, when the court acted as champion to individual rights, the current court is less likely to overturn legislation passed by either Congress or the states.

"The court will probably become less hospitable to claims by individuals, " said Law Professor David Dow. "The only likely source of change for the next 20 years is going to be Congress. I don't think that is the way our government is suppose to work. Congress by definition is representative of the majority will. What the Constitution is supposed to do is to protect minority not majority."

With Marshall gone there will be one less voice safeguarding the rights of the individuals, especially powerless individuals, he said.

"It is likely that we will see major decisions that were rendered in the last 20 years either reversed outright by the current court or modified to such an extent that in practical matters they're reversed outright," Dow said."I believe it will happen in the area of free speech, separation of state and church and in the area of right to privacy."

A major landmark decision dealing with individual rights that might be overturned is Roe vs. Wade. The current court strongly opposes abortion, and is likely to modify or reverse it next year, Political Science Professor Robert Carp said.

This doesn't mean that the court will outlaw abortion. Instead, it will probably permit states to determine whether abortion is legal or illegal, he said.

PHYSICAL PLANT WORK TOO COSTLY FOR CAMPUS

BY REGAN D. DICKINSON

The UH Physical Plant is in charge of maintaining campus facilities, but some question the economic feasability of using its services.

Case in point are the problems of the UH Health Center. For about eight years a leaky roof has plagued the building. Recently, thanks to the Health Center fee added to student tuition, the health center had garnered enough funds to replace the troublesome roof.

"We had raised about $30,000 to fix it. We knew that wouldn't be enough, but it was enough to get started with the job," said Dr. Billie Smith, Health Center director. "Then we decided to ask for bids from local construction companies and chose the three with the lowest bids. That's when the university stepped in."

Smith was told by UH administration that the physical plant would take over the job as is dictated by school policy.

Sharon Richardson, vice president for operations and management, said, "There are state statutes which deal with such things as building codes and all of our policies indicate that the physical plant should be used as a safegaurd for the university to avoid improper wiring and other potential hazards."

Since the Health Center project has been taken over by the physical plant it has been plagued by cost overruns, delays and flooding problems.

` The performance of the contractor, Transcontinental Construction Inc., has been questionable," said Don Green, assistant director of architecture engineering and construction."I think the biggest problem has been the delays. The contractor began work on April 16 and by late May he had only worked a total of four or five days.

"They wouldn't work on days where there was a 30 percent chance of rain, unfortunately that happens almost every day here. We've since corrected that problem and expect the roof to be finished by late July," Green said.

Of greater concern to Health Center officials has been the apparent rise in the repair costs.

"Our original bid from Transcontinental was $45,000 and since that time the bid has doubled," Smith said.

The bid by Transcontinental almost doubled to $84,366, a third of that is charged to the adjacent Alumni Center. The Health Center will have to pay the other two-thirds plus a 15 percent fee to the physical plant to cover its costs. This will still be significantly more than Health Center officials had originally expected to pay.

"The university decided to lend us the money to cover the extra costs and will take it out of the fall Health Center fee, but we will try to pay it off before that time. We really don't want to start off the next school year that way," Smith said.

Another problem came up on June 10 when the Health Center flooded after a heavy rainstorm and sustained water damage.

"A seam on the roof had not been adequately sealed and water poured in through the faulty seal. The contractor will cover that cost; it will not be charged to the health center. Any money left over will be returned to them," Green said.

But some still have questions, however. Are the problems of the Health Center symptomatic of the campus in general when it comes to dealing with the physical plant?

"It used to be economical to use the physical plant but it seems that the cost of using them has gone up precipitously since about 1985," said David Small, assistant vice president of student services. "I'm looking for ways to conserve resources and that usually means that I hire outside help."

Gerald Osborne, director of counseling and testing said, "The perception around campus is that cost estimates seem high. The physical plant installed computers for us in the Satellite and did good, quality work."

STUDENT SEEKS MORE PHONES

BY MICHAEL HINES

One UH student believes if you want to be heard and you want action, writing a letter is one way of getting it done.

The jury is still out, however, on whether or not this method is effective enough.

Virginia Cobler, a part-time student, wrote UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett June 5 to express her unhappiness with the UH bureaucratic system and Barnett's failure to sign a Students' Association bill after a recent experience she had on campus. On June 4, Jack McMillon suffered a heart attack in Cobler's finite math class in Room 301 of Agnes Arnold Hall.

Cobler who works in a hospital in a non-medical capacity, rushed to call for assistance while others administered CPR, but soon found herself searching helplessly for a phone.

"There were no phones on the floor. The only phones are on the ground floor," she said. "I went to the elevator first but there wasn't a phone." she said. "There wasn't a single phone on the third floor. I expect a phone to be in any state-funded institution."

Cobler, a political science major, said she wrote the letter as an incentive for Barnett to do something about the situation, specifically to sign the bill. "The question that concerns me is whether or not they can afford not to do something."

"If people don't write letters, then how's anyone going to know that there is something wrong, or that (they) were unsatisfied with the way things are? It really makes sense to me to write letters," she said. "(Barnett) has not contacted me yet. I expected to receive a letter or something. This really surprises me."

Barnett said she could not recall the letter, but she does believe the campus phones issue is one worth looking into.

"I think the issue is a good issue," she said. "The problem is under review for logistical questions."

Lt. Richard Storemski of the UH Police Department said emergency phones are being installed in elevators at this time.

"The emergency phones will have a direct link with the dispatch operator," he said. "There are 60 elevators on campus, so when this will be finished is still up in the air. The elevators in the new science building are already equipped with the new phones."

But for the time being, the only direct line to the police department is with one of the 27 red call boxes located on campus, he said. At a cost of $4,500, it is unlikely that many more will be installed in the near future, he said.

"They're mostly located outside to help students on their way to the parking lot. There is one located in the library and one in the optometry building."

The SA bill calling for greater placement of house phones on campus was written on February 11, passed by the SA senate on the 25th and approved by the Vice President for Student Affairs Roland Smith on May 7.

SA Senator Andrea Hyland, the author of the bill, said she was surprised to hear that the bill had been returned unsigned. "This is the first time I've heard this," she said. "I just thought the bill was still on her desk just unsigned. I wasn't told the bill had been returned."

Barnett returned the bill with some notes she had written to the SA.

Hyland, a human development major, said she will now try a second time to push the bill through after the recent events.

"I'll find out what Barnett had to say," she said. "I'll work with that and try to make it acceptable."

Hyland said there are now four house phones on campus.

"When I first wrote the piece I thought what's the big deal about putting house phones in? Well now I guess there is, or it would have already been done."

SA President Michael Berry said he is surprised that an institution of this size does not have a more efficient on-campus communication system.

"The phones would benefit all students," he said. "They would help handicapped students the most. The university is very large and it would be easier for a student to call than to have to walk across campus. There is always a line for the one in library."

A TALE OF ANTS AND AGGRESSION: THE UGLY AMERICAN

BY CHRIS ENGLISH

The anthill. It was the July 4th Shriner's picnic, to benefit the impoverished victims of some oppressed Latin American regime or another, I can't remember exactly. Old men in short clip-on ties and hats like organ grinder monkeys. They looked so foolish in their importance that even the sun teased them, staining the

backs and armpits of their Sears & Roebuck shortsleeve

button shirts.

They discussed politics with bearish, intoxicated bravado, banging their beer cans like gavels upon the picnic tables.

Excluded from their conversations, we had banned together, a militia of dirty knees and sticks, intent on being annoyances. I, the eldest at twelve, was the leader. While on patrol, we discovered it, the anthill, sprawl-

ing at least two feet across and almost a foot and a half high, in the hole where

a pecan tree had been before it was split by lightning the previous summer.

It was pristine and sound, a marvel of machinery and function.

Fascinated, we watched the industrious ants. Each speck with singleminded purpose returned home with the spoils of discarded Daisy plates. It was harmony and whole, unity and perfection. We sat there on our haunches, rapt, till the blood drained from our shoes and our toes pin-cushioned.

After what seemed like hours, I looked up to find all my soldiers gone except one, the youngest, a nameless one, maybe six. He looked back at me for direction, very small beneath his bowl-helmet of flaxen hair. The only one left. I felt betrayed, deserted by all but one. I looked back at the hill.

The ants were still there, but now they were marching, mindless and ugly, columns of red. America boiled up within me.

Valiantly I thrust my stick into the heart of this darkness, this disease. Hah!

There was confusion immediately, as the liberated masses, freed from the yoke of machinistic oppression, spilled out across the generic ant streets. My soldier

followed me valiantly into battle. With our swords of democracy we tore down the ant tower of Babel. I felt the rush of ticker-tape parades surge through my

temples. Again and again we struck, assured of our righteousness,

triumphant despite the overwhelming numbers. I looked across to see how my comrade-at-arms was fairing.

There was blood in his eyes, his stick cutting swaths through the enemy ranks. Blind in his fury, the little boy had stepped too close to the fray. I

could see the ants swarming over his sneakers, climbing over the trenches of his white socks to the tender skin, waiting for the signal.

It came. I saw his hand stop in mid-strike as he looked down and screamed. He started to pinwheel, stomping, writhing, wailing to the pain of the red army's stinging bites. The commotion attracted the attention of grownups. I hid behind a tree as they dropped their barbeque and peeled shrimp and ran to the rescue. Monkey hats tumbled from heads as they tackled the little boy down and slapped his legs clear of fire ants.

His mother arrived and brushed his hair down and took him home, legs already swollen and puckered. He was still crying.

One man, pulling off his clip tie and unbuttoning his shirt, poured lighter fluid onto what was left of the teeming anthill. Another dropped the match. Some went back to their barbeque while others brought their beers over and struck up conversation, feeding the fire with garbage and sticks. And I, the Ugly American, watched the flames lick off their sunglasses.

KLINGLER`S CAMPAIGN FOR HEISMAN BEGINS

BY MARTY HAJOVSKY

On Dec. 2, 1989, the name of a UH student was carved permanently in the lexicon of college football heroes.

This season another Cougar will attempt to acheive the same honor, but for David Klingler, as it was with Andre Ware, winning the Heisman Trophy involves much more than performance on the football field.

No pass has been thrown; no touchdowns have been scored; but in the offices of the Sports Information Department, the campaign for the Heisman has already begun.

If a college athlete is to be successful in acheiving an honor like the Heisman, good public relations is virtually as important as touchdowns.

"Because of cable television and delayed bradcasts, there's a lot more exposure than ever before," Sports Information Director Ted Nance said.

Exposure is the key word. The sportswriters can't vote for you if they don't know who you are.

"What will really help Klingler is the team being ranked," Nance said. "When ESPN and CNN do their weekly round-ups, if your team's ranked you're going to get highlights and a lot more exposure."

However, Klingler's winning team is not just the one that Head Coach John Jenkins will trot onto the field every Saturday this fall. Another group which must be included are the public relations wizards at Sports Information, the Kling-makers.

"What we're trying to do is sell the player," Nance said.

Nance points out the voters want the players to be role models and excellent students in addition to being great players. Klingler is no slouch in these areas.

"Individually, Klingler's got everything the voters are looking for. They want these guys to be role models and Mr. All-America and he really is all that," Nance said.

One advantage Klingler has over Ware is his already burgeoning national exposure. Ware, who had only started four games before his Heisman year, was coming off a disastrous performance the previous season in the Aloha Bowl. Ware had an uphill climb to win the hearts and minds of the voters. By comparison, Klingler is already on the cover of at least two national magazines.

"This is the first time we can legitmately, in our pre-season promotions, say our quarterback is a Heisman Trophy candidate," Nance said.

A constant knock against any UH quarterback is Jenkins' Run-and-Shoot offense, not the players, that have produced the Cougars' gaudy offensive totals the past several years. This argument poses a problem not to Klingler but to Nance.

"Because Ware also produced big numbers, there are some who say it's the system," he said. "What I've got to do to counteract that is to quote pro scouts saying Klingler's a number one prospect or has a stronger arm than anybody.

"Then you can say it may be the system, but it also is having a fantastic player," Nance said.

Two years ago one of the problems constantly cited regarding Ware's drive to the Heisman was the lack of national exposure and live television. Nance said this was overstated.

"Most sportswriters don't see live games on television anyway because they're covering other games. It's the highlights and things like being on the Today Show that really help," he said.

Last season's winner, Brigham Young's Ty Detmer, started out the season in style with a dominating game against then-number one ranked Miami.

This year Klingler faces a similiar situation with back-to-back nationally televised games against Miami and Big Ten powerhouse Illinois.

For Klingler, the march for that December date in New York's Downtown Athletic Club begins Aug. 31 in the Astrodome. But for Nance and his staff, the campaign for the man who would be Kling is already in high gear.

TEXT ANTHOLOGY PRICE HIKE, DELAYS LIKELY

BY DAI HUYNH

A federal court's ruling against Kinko's Graphics Corp. may increase costs and delay the production of customized text anthologies for college students.

Kinko's violated the copyright laws by offering its custom textbook publishing service without getting permission from the authors whose works it reproduced and sold, a U.S. District Court judge in New York ruled March 28.

Before the ruling, Kinko's used the copyright law's provision of fair use as a guideline in photocopying copyright materials. Under this provision, about 10 percent of a book or an article can be copied for academic use without obtaining permission.

But in a 57-page opinion, Judge Constance Baker Motley rejected Kinko's claim of fair use under the copyright law, saying that the corporation's concerns were profit-making, not educational. Motley found that a large portion of Kinko's earnings is derived from photocopying pages of copyrighted text used in academic courses.

"The recent ruling eliminates the right of commercical copy establishments such as Kinko's to use the fair use guidelines of making multiple copies of copyright materials for classroom use," said Kinko's Director of Corporate Communications Adrianna Foss.

Kinko's will still make custom-made textbooks for professors, but now it will have to get permission from all the authors whose works the professors want to include in their anthologies, she said.

Anthologies may be more expensive for students next semester. Under the fair use provision, Kinko's was able to avoid paying royalty fees, Foss said.

"But now, costs may increase if publishers require additional royalty fees," Foss said. Kinko's is required to get permission on all copyright materials and publishers will have more opportunities to assess any royalty charges they want, she said.

The length of time to produce an anthology of readings will be longer. "We're going to ask professors to bring their materials in as early as possible to allow time for all this extra permission that we need to obtain," Foss added.

The time it takes to obtain clearance from publishers to photocopy works has been a sticky issue for professors and Kinko's. The procedures for gaining permission vary from publisher to publisher, Foss said.

"In most cases, it only takes a publisher two or three weeks to respond," she said. "In other cases, it may take up to several months."

Often, the lengthy waiting period discourages professors from using custom-made textbooks.

An alternative for the anthologies, which some UH professors are considering, is requiring their students to buy more textbooks.

"I will have students buy more books rather than Xeroxing them. It's going to work to the disadvantage of the students in the end," history Professor Sally Vaughn said. "I will tend to order a lot of cheaper books, and the material won't be as tailored for the class as it has been in the past."

CAMPUS CRIME TO BE STUDIED

BY TERRY DAVIS

"The campus is not safe and the administration will not admit it has a problem," said Students' Association President Michael Berry at the first Student Task Force on Crime meeting June 26 in the University Center.

The STFC is a subcommittee within the SA that Berry pledged to set up as a part of his campaign for president. Its goal is to make the students and administrators more aware of crime on campus.

"While campaigning I was approached by many students who were concerned about their safety at school and with this task force I hope to address their fears," Berry said.

The STFC plans to conduct studies on campus crime over a period of time and present UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett with its results.

One method of study would be to stake out the Cambridge Oaks apartment complex and count the number of criminal incidents that occur on a given night. Another would be to observe the number of females walking alone through the parking lots at night, Berry said.

"Students are being beaten and mugged on campus not in the periphery area," Berry said. Sparked by a friend who was mugged and shot on campus, Berry said he wants to get a lot of students involved to help him prove his point.

"I cannot be objective," Berry said. "There is a serious crime problem on campus but the administration will not admit it. They are doing a disservice to students by hiding the statistics."

According to the U.S. Congress, crime statistics must be published at all universities. They are at UH, Berry said, but they're not well known.

Berry said he hopes to capture the attention of the city for a day with the evidence revealed in the studies.

In addition to the crime problem, Berry said,"The campus police force is understaffed and the administration is not willing to pay the police a competitive salary, so they get people who come here for six months to a year for experience and then leave."

The next meeting will be held 3 p.m. today in the U.C. Regents Room.

PLACEMENT CENTER EVALUATED

BY SHELBY MURPHY

Although UH graduates make more on average in entry-level positions than other recent grads, not all are satisfied with their alma mater.

"The bureaucracy at UH pertaining to registration, major changes, fee payment, degree planning and graduation review is an embarrassment to Texas' largest city," said an unidentified student who answered Career Planning and Placement's Career Status Survey.

Similar statements are common in the survey that CPP has distributed for four years to every baccalaureate student registered with the center.

However, these statements may be somewhat biased. "We have a 30 percent return response," said Career Counselor Morris Graves, who heads up the survey. "The answers tend to be weighted. People who respond are very happy or very dissatisfied."

The survey represents students who have used CPP, not UH as a whole, said David Small, assistant vice-president for student services.

Respondents are asked to evaluate both the placement center and UH, Graves said.

Some underlying questions raised are why so many students are dissatisfied with UH, why 21.5 percent of the May 1990 graduates would change their majors if they could do it again and why more non-white students are unhappy with their college education, he said.

"The students who are most dissatisfied with their current employment status are students who didn't choose their majors until much later in their college careers," Graves said.

"Many of our black and brown students aren't getting the necessary counseling early enough in their college careers to help them focus," Graves said.

Students who chose their majors based on personal interest are much more satisfied with their careers than those students who chose majors because of parental pressures or where they thought prestige and money lay, Graves said.

In the May 1990 survey, 65.8 percent of the students who responded had career-level jobs three months after graduation, 3 percent were self-employed or worked with their families and more than 12 percent were attending school.