SID NANCE, RECALLS SOME OF UH'S SPORTS

HISTORY

BY MARTY HAJOVSKT

The older man sat forward in his chair and cast a sideways glance at the walls of his office. On those walls were pictures and plaques that represented both his life's work and the history of UH athletics. For Sports Information Director Ted Nance the two are nothing but synonymous.

"When I think about Houston sports, I think about more things that have to do with people than they have to do with winning or losing games," said Nance, who has been associated with the Cougars almost from the first day he set foot on campus in 1953.

His association with the athletic department began while as a student when volunteered to keep statistics for the basketball team. Nance turned his volunteer work into a full-time job and, except for a brief period when he left to run the now-defunct Bluebonnet Bowl, has been there ever since.

He has seen Houston athletics through the best and worst parts of its outstanding history. "There's a great sports tradition here. I mean, UH won so much, so fast that people started to take it for granted," he said. From golf to tennis, from basketball to football, the Cougars have known almost nothing but success.

When the history of that tradition is written, Nance, a member of the College Sports Information Directors' Hall of Fame, will figure prominently in the record. In his office the other day Nance was asked to list a series of his favorite anecdotes that tell about both people and events that are representative of that history.

From the time the football team unwittingly sparked the president's bravado to the Clash of Titans in college basketball's Game of the Century, these stories give the details of a much larger picture. The image is that of the UH as a community bound together by a common commitment to excellence. In Nance, one sees a vivid example of this love for place which so often seems absent from the UH of the 1990s.

So here are Nance's Top Five UH Sports Stories. All together they tell as much about the storyteller as about the university he has served for nearly four decades. Could we have a drumroll please?

On the wall of Nance's office is a plaque with a story from the Houston Chronicle about the Cougar football team's victory in September 1967 over the defending national champion Michigan State Spartans. Houston had traveled up to East Lansing for the game, which was the Spartans' first game of the season and the Cougars' first ever against the Big 10. Well, this little school from Texas didn't just beat the defending champs, they busted them up 37-7. The Big 10 powerhouse had never seen anything like Bill Yeoman's veer offense. But according to Nance, the real story was what happened when the Cougars returned home.

"In those days, Hobby was the only airport. So we got to Hobby, and they estimated the crowd at 5,000. The police said they never seen anything like it. Cars were backed up to the Gulf Freeway along Broadway. There wasn't security at airports then like there is now. Students had gone out to the runway, commandeered baggage carts and were driving them around.

"We landed and we were way out there on the runway. But we could hear inside the plane the noise, the yelling and the cheering. The plane couldn't even get up to the concourse. So finally, we just disembarked way out there and had to walk on in. That was just amazing. It's funny, but I think there used to be a lot more school spirit then than there is now."

Then there was the time that then President Phillip G. Hoffman had a chilling experience when he made the mistake of accompanying the football team on a roadtrip in the late 60's.

"It was a brisk November morning and the football team was playing some team in the Southeast Conference," Nance said. "I don't remember which school, but before we got into the Southwest Conference, we used to play a lot of teams from the SEC. Hoffman was a guy who liked to swim a lot. He'd go down real early to swim in the motel pool.

"So he was there in his swimsuit, testing the water to see just how cold it was. He wasn't sure whether he was going in or not. Suddenly, the doors from a side meeting room burst open and the football team comes out for their breakfast meeting and sees him there. `Hey, Dr. Hoffman. You going for a swim?' they shouted. So then, he later told me, `I didn't have any choice, Ted I had to, freezing or not. My pride was at stake.' He plunged on in and froze."

No list like this would be complete without including the proverbial "one that got away." Today, the most common story on campus concerns impending budget cuts imposed by the state. Nance can remember a time when this happened before and the consequences were especially dire for the tennis program.

"The state was going through a budget crunch and passed along word that schools had to tighten their budgets. So we had to do that. It was the late 50's and we had this kid. He was a really good tennis player. But he had a friend back in St. Louis who was going to follow him here to school named Chuck McKinnley, who was a great tennis player.

"Well, our tennis coach was an engineering professor named John Hoff. Hoff brought this kid in and said, `We're going to de-emphasize tennis, and I think you should go somewhere else. I can help you get a scholarship.' That happened to be Trinity University in San Antonio.

"This kid and Mckinney go to Trinity. Mckinney wins the Wimbledon title while still an undergraduate in 1963, and Trinity goes on to be a tennis power largely because of him. If he'd have gone here, I think maybe we could have gone on to be an even bigger tennis power. It's kind of funny the way things turn out."

UH golfers have been to their sport what Notre Dame is to football or UCLA was to basketball. Their successes have been so remarkable they forever altered the structure of collegiate golf. But through it all one man was behind this.

"You know the golf teams that we've had coached by Dave Williams, who was also an engineering professor, have been so successful it's hard to imagine. He was just a volunter golf coach to start with. He just worked hard at a time when collegiate golf wasn't that big. In fact, he made collegiate golf.

"What they used to do was play these rinky-dinky matches. Houston would drive over to Austin and play Texas. You'd play eight matches, and win 5-3. Dave said, why are we driving and spending all this money for one team? Why don't we start having tournaments? He pointed out that we could start playing 20 teams at once while spending the same amount of money."

Williams was also the force behind the collegiate shift from a match-type scoring system to metal or stroke play like the one the pro tour uses. Even the NCAA used to play hole-by-hole matches, where, if you shoot a four and I shoot a three, I win the hole. That wasn't really a true test of golf, because if you have a bad hole, like an eight, you only lose, you only lose one hole instead of being down several strokes. Players who weren't as good golfers as some others were winning NCAA championships. If a school in a tournament enters, let's say, five players, you take the four lowest scores. It is much better.

It was Williams who promoted and ultimately got it changed. He had the first All-American golf team and was the first to keep records and stats. He was truly the father of College Golf."

When asked about his most vivid memory of his nearly 40 years with the University, Nance is quick to respond, "It would be the Houston-UCLA basketball game. It was a game of national championship caliber, the largest crowd in history (52,693) and the first nationally televised game. It just had a different aura about the whole game. It was something special.

"I had bought 50 tickets to the game early on because I just knew people would be calling me for tickets at the last minute. And sure enough, everbody was calling. That's the best move I ever made.

"I recently looked at the tape. The postgame celebration, the whole thing you know, for a basketball game, it was really something else. Plus, we had a great team. We had met the year before in the NCAA tournament which UCLA won 73-58. Also, here were the two best two players in the country. We had Elvin Hayes and they had Lew Alcindor. They were undefeated and we were undefeated. Everything was just perfect for the match-up.

"The game was back and forth, back and forth the whole way. Alcindor had an eye problem, but that was a great-built-in alibi for Johnny Wooden. I think Alcindor hit eight of 10 free throws, so it didn't affect him that much.

"What affected his shooting more than anything was that he had several shots blocked by Hayes. Hayes was just red hot. It wasn't so much a case of UCLA not being good, it was that Hayes had probably the career game of his life. I think he had something like 28 points at halftime. Everytime he did anything the crowd just roared.

"Because UCLA had won 40-something straight games and they were the national champions, it was just a different feel. I was telling Guy Lewis the other day one of the Arkansas sportswriters called earlier this year before Arkansas played UNLV, trying to compare that game to the Houston-UCLA game. And I just told him that there isn't any comparison. It's just totally different.

"It was the first big college basketball game, and it put college basketball on a new level. People realized that televised games can actually draw a tremendous crowd, especially with a match-up like this. I think it led the way for NCAA Final Fours to be played in large arenas. It's something that would be hard to duplicate."

I looked at the treasures on his walls, the pictures and plaques which represent the acheivements of so many Cougars over so many years. But none shone so brightly as the treasure sitting opposite me. I began to realize that Nance is right. UH's success is not so much seen in its wins and losses but in its people.

*******************************************************

ATH DOES NEIL RIGHT

BY SALLY POUNCY

Emmy nominee Scott Fults returns to the Houston stage in an Actors Theater of Houston production of Neil Simon's Brighton Beach Memoirs.

A former Houstonian, Fults is back under the wing of his former teacher, ATH director Chris Wilson, for this work. Fults, who was an Emmy nominee for his work in the television series Tour of Duty, portrays Eugene Morris Jerome in this ATH production.

This 1983 Broadway hit is the first of Neil Simon's trilogy about the life of Eugene (a character loosely based on Simon's life), a smart mouthed Jewish kid who eventually wants to become a writer or a baseball player.

The two plays that followed in the trilogy are Biloxi Blues and Broadway Bound. (Blues and Memoirs were made into movies and are available on video.)

Simon's latest Broadway production, Lost in Yonkers, recently won several 1991 Tony Awards including best play, best actress, best featured actor and best featured actress.

ATH's current production maintains the playhouse's reputation as one of the best in Houston.

Director Chris Wilson shows off her expertise with a tight-two-and-a- half hour production of this hilarious play. She places the actors for optimum advantage and transforms the balcony into the children's rooms. No stage space ever goes unused in a Wilson production.

Cast members work well together, none outshining the other and each bouncing his character's lines brightly off the others throughout the play.

Ruth Ann Black portrays Kate Jerome, Eugene's mother, who sends him to the corner grocery at least twice a day for various items, much to his chagrin. Isabel Feliciano is Blanche Morton, widowed sister of Kate, who lives, along with her two daughters, in the family's home. Jacob "Jack" Jerome (Vic Geerts) supports the seven-member family with three jobs while being father to his sons and an advice-giver to his nieces.

Matt Rippy treks along well as Stanley Jerome, big brother and fantasy-fulfiller to Eugene. Ashley Jones poises on the verge of tears as Nora Morton, eldest daughter of Blanche. Finally, Alison Cozby sits pretty as Laurie Morton, the pampered baby of the household.

Scott Fults may headline the production, but is gracious enough not to steal the show.

Brighton Beach Memoirs plays at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays through July 13 at 2506 South Blvd. For ticket information call ATH at 529-6606.

A NICE PLACE TO SIN

BY SALLY POUNCY

The Vatican. Definitely a club for sinners and not for saints.

Located near the intersection of Washington and Westscott, this club blasted onto the Houston scene last Friday night as the newest venue for live entertainment in town.

The Vatican is not an extremely ritzy place, but does have a comfortable atmosphere. For those who want to lounge around, the balcony sports duets of tables as well as couches for two (or three.) However, for those of fluttering feet, there are two elevated platform-like areas and a semi-dance floor in front of the stage.

At last weekend's show, the lead singer of Zsu-Zsu Petals costumed himself as the Pope and christened the stage with beer before going on as the first band of the night. Too bad the act didn't help their "can't -- quite -- put -- a -- label -- on -- this -- sound" performance.

One minute they're rock, another thrash, then later funk. If Zsu-Zsu Petals were not so musically hyper they might be better.

Toy Subs revived the night with an energetic set. Lead singer Jamie Jahan seemed to be having a bit of trouble with his guitar strap and microphone, but kept right on going. Even new bassist Bill Walter strummed along as if nothing were amiss.

The Chamberlins rounded out the night and cleared out the club. Enough said.

The Vatican is a comfortable place and you'll have trouble finding a bad seat in the house. So, will this one time theater climb into the Houston spotlight? Hope so.

HIPPY HOPPY HAPPY: OR, GAGA FOR GARZA

BY CHRIS ENGLISH

DAILY COUGAR ICONOCLASTER

Fitzgerald's made a mistake. They put tables on the dance floor.

Not a grievous error, but the tables did hamper the happy-go-lunatic antics of the mob of second generation flower children who bounced out of their VW buses to see David Garza and the Lovebeads Thursday night.

The Austin band happily married flamenco and folk to form this union of peace and happiness like some kind of glib reincarnation of the Sixties.

With songs like "Tuesday Review" and "My Sister," David Garza (see Public News for proper pronunciation), former front man of Twang Twang Shockaboom, punished his already abused acoustic guitar to create an atmosphere of daisy chains, cha cha heels and Carmen Miranda... spirited, simple, simpatico... suave (sorry, I couldn't resist--no relation though, I swear). Glum people were shot on sight.

So, if you've had the blues ever since Twang Twang Shockaboom twung for the last boom, or your Rosemary, Sage & Thyme album just doesn't rock you like it used to, well, keep out an eye for the Lovebeads at Fitzgerald's. David Garza promised free watermelon for everyone at the next show. Honest.

ON TO ENID, OK. THE TALE TWISTS

BY JOHN GRIFFEN

When we last left our intrepid couple, they were in a theater in downtown Cleveland, Texas, attending a showing of Bambi just prior to being run out of town by an angry mob of clergymen, law enforcement officials, housewives and Klansmen, many of whom fell into more than one category. They wisely took to the road and headed north into Oklahoma, Enid specifically, where, on the advice of some especially precise tea leaves, they came to the shanty of Mystic Max, a one-time Marine drill seargent turned techno-shaman and, by many accounts, the foremost pagan icon in the Dust Belt. As we pick up the action a knock is being tapped out on Max's door ...

"Whaddya want."

Mystic Max cracked the door and poked his head out. His beard was long and scraggly, yet he seemed much younger than he was. There was no grey in the hairs. I spoke.

"We are, sir, a pair of travellers recently ... removed from a small town in Texas. We received, from a reliable source, instruction to seek you out for counsel, medicinal herbs, poignant wisdom or whatever it is that a self-described techno-shaman can offer two novices. We have heard you once studied with the Bandaloop doctors in the Himalayan ridge and your reputation among Middle American's in-the-know is inscrutable. May we come in."

He looked at us for a moment and snorted.

"Are you the dancers from Cleveland?"

"We are. You have heard of the nature of our departure?" she said.

He poked his head out further.

"No. I know nothing. Go away."

"But you know of our plight," she pleaded. "You know you do. Max, we are on the path ..."

"You are not on the path!" Max bellowed. "Go now."

He slammed the door.

She knocked again. He opened.

"Please. You must leave," his voice was more plaintive this time. "I cannot show you the way. There is still much work to be done."

I stepped closer to the door.

"Max. Mystic Max. Sir. I think we are possibly closer than you might expect. Perhaps we might just come in for some tea? We are not going away."

"My word. Are all you young ones so bloody insistent?"

He sighed and opened the door.

"Just for tea and that is all."

The game of tennis has seen many champions cross the manicured turf of the All England Lawn and Tennis Club, the concrete slabs in Forest Hills and Flushing Meadows and the ruddy clay at Roland Garros. Jack Kramer, Tony Trabert, Stan Smith, Arthur Ashe, Ille Nastasie, Chris Evert, Maureen Connoly, Yvonne Goolagong are a small few. None however have played the game with the transcendent magnitude of John Patrick McEnroe. His play is the poetry of Blake, the paintings of Bosch, the music of Wagner. At the peak of his competitive days the racket grew out of his left arm like an archangel's sword, cutting down opponents with wicked precision. Passing shots which cut the lines like a Medallin kingpin. Slicing backhand crosscourt bullets which began on a discordant note and eased into the far corner in a rousing crescendo of speed and finesse. Magnificently evil drop volleys adroitly picked off the ground and spun across the net, taunting, teasing foes into believing for a split second they might actually be able to reach it, then dying cruelly on the court. His rage at linesmen, chair judges, crowds and competitors poetic anger. John McEnroe did not take "no" for an answer. His talent spoke for itself. I have always admired that.

If the exterior of Mystic Max's hovel appeared shabby and weatherbeaten, the interior made it look almost regal. Where paint existed, it was sparse and generally chipping away. I noticed, while walking into what presumably was a den, that the floor was composed of dirt and, where some liquid had been spilled, mud. From the looks of things the Dust Bowl and the Depression still thrived here and I kept imagining I smelled tobacco spit. A "Yard of the Month" sign hung on the wall. We could hear Max rummaging in the "kitchen."

"Who's your decorator?" I asked.

"Sit down and shut the hell up."

We found some dry space on the floor. Max returned with a steaming pot of something and three cups.

"What do you know about the blues?" he asked.

"The blues?"

"The blues. The music of the earth." he yelled. "What can you tell me about the eternal nature of the blues, the mystic trance-inducing stupor that a properly bent note can prompt, the immortal soul which has existed since the beginning of time and is handed down to succesive generations of musicians, given and taken away by the forces which must maintain the integrity of that soul. You say that you are on the path. Now give me some indication of why I might have the slightest inclination to believe such a ludicrous claim."

We looked at each other then back at Mystic Max. I sipped what I thought was tea.

"Delta blues? Chicago blues? Texas blues? Hendrix? Howlin' Wolf? You want a chronology, who influenced whom, what?"

"No! You moron! Path. Pshaw. Do you have this much trouble locating your penis? When you are in the throes of ecstasy are you contemplating zygotes and who diddled whom in a long line of idiots before you that you might be here today wrapped in a warm cavern of flesh and thrusting for dear life?"

"No. But ..."

"But nothing. Drink your tea and take some deep breaths."

"We are concerned with dance," she said.

"Dance. Yes you are. And within that medium, within the parameters of what you know, you have developed a theory, or more specifically for our purpose, a mythology. You two have created your own little mythology of dance, have you not?"

"Well, it's not exactly little," she said.

"Perhaps not," he said. "However, it is your lone mythology. The myth of dance. That mysterious and long-reaching ideal which you have constructed after much contemplation, much soul-searching and excruciating practice. It is that ideal which overwhelms you at conspicuous times, drives you to dance in bed in a town which would certainly frown on such activity."

My eyes widened.

"Yes, I know all about your situation and have been told of your search for what you like to so glibly call `The Path'. But you seem to be missing a very vital point regarding the nature of mythology. If you were to hazard a guess, what ill might you suppose afflicts the majority of people on this planet today?"

"Poor quality of life," she said.

"Not enough oral sex," I said.

"This is not a joke."

Max was glaring at me.

"Poor quality of life, as you call it, young lady, is merely a symptom of the pox."

When I was young I had an extremely aggravated case of chicken pox. Among the scars it left on my body is a medium- sized one on the forehead right in between the eyes. My younger sister has a similar scar in the exact same location. Is this the work of an ancient order of extraterrestrial visitors or shady coincidence? Read the book.

"Drink your tea and relax. Consider the question thoughtfully, I will not ask you again."

I closed my eyes for a moment and it became readily apparent that Max had included some form of psychotropic in his herbal brew. Waves of elasticity washed over me and my head started to wander.

Max spoke in a soothing well modulated voice. I wondered if Peter Jennings had ever dropped acid.

"What," he said, "do captains of industry, evangelists, professional athletes, musicians, poets, artists, theives, pirates, corporate raiders and film animators all have in common? What does mankind, in general, have in common? What drives our actions, gives us purpose, verifies our existence?"

The drug kicked in harder.

"What comprises our convictions?"

"Values," I said. The sound came out purple. "Values. A belief system. A guiding ideal."

"Yes," he said. "And what are those belief systems?"

"Mythologies," she said. "Each of us pick a mythology and act upon it."

"And what is the potential and actual problem with this?"

My mind glowed white.

"One mythology," I said. The words came out green. "We only have one mythology. We only understand one mythology. Dance is our mythology and it is all we know. I know the roots of the blues but I have no clue as to the mythology of it."

"And that," Max crooned, "is what you have to learn. You are both getting closer. We shall soon see if you are ready."

"Ready for what," she asked.

"Ready to run the guantlet of the Chapel Perilous," he said, "I will instruct you here for a few days. You will learn to acknowledge and understand myriad mythologies. Many of these will be pantheistic, utilizing multiple gods and deities, but they are still single myth structures. You must understand the necessities of panmythologies. If you are up to this task, I will send you into the Chapel. If you are not, you must leave this place and never return. There are no other options."

My head was still spinning when Max returned with two pillows and a blanket.

"Get some sleep. We'll talk in the morning."

HOUSTON ON FAST TRACK

BY CAROL LEWIS

When coach Tom Tellez looked at Robertson Stadium last spring he knew it was time to replace the old track.

In the past six years the stadium had some of the greatest performances in track and field history. In 1986, Jackie Joyner-Kersee broke the Heptathlon world record during the U.S. Olympic Festival.

In 1989, UH's Leroy Burrell ran the fastest 100-meter of the year and fourth fastest of all time, 9.94 seconds.

With the Southwest Conference meet scheduled for May 18-19, Tellez was worried. "We needed a new track," he said. He called on his most famous athlete and friend, Carl Lewis, into his office for a meeting.

"Coach T. asked me to help with a fund-raising event for a new track," Lewis said. "I said I'd pay for it myself."

The last time the track was done was in 1980, when Cullen Foundation donated the money for refurbishing the original track and stadium.

Since his years at UH, Lewis has made Houston his home. He trains along with UH athletes and offers his knowledge and advice to them.

Two years ago, Lewis was named assistant coach for sprinting events. "Carl has helped me a lot," said UH freshman sprinter Sam Jefferson. "I really try to listen and learn as much as I can."

Jefferson placed second at this year's SWC meet in the 100-meter.

The project, which began in November 1990, finished just weeks before the outdoor SWC meet May 18 and 19. The last time UH held the meet was 1982.

The SWC meet was a success as far as results were concerned. The collegiate record was broken in the pole vault. Twenty-nine athletes surpassed the NCAA qualifying standards, 37 the U.S.

HOUSTON'S ASTROS' FIRST BASEMAN

CANDIDATE FOR ROOKIE HONOR

BY MARTY HAJOVSKY

NEW REPORTER

Just who are these guys?

Paul Newman and Robert Redford made that question famous. But Houston Astros fans have to be feeling a bit like Butch and Sundance this summer as they watch Houston's young baseball no-names take on the rest of the National League.

The team's successes are supposed to be in the future, but the future is now for a first baseman from Killingworth, Conn. who doesn't seem to have learned the proper respect for his elders.

Jeff Bagwell is here to do a job, and in so doing, the 23-year-old rookie is begining to make quite a name for himself.

"I'm not a very boisterous player, not very loud," Bagwell said. "I just try play as hard as I can."

Hard indeed. Going into the All-Star break, Bagwell is hitting .299 with eight home runs and 36 runs batted in. His average is the highest in the National League for rookies with more than 100 at-bats and has made him an early favorite for Rookie of the Year Award.

"When he hits the ball, he hits the ball with topspin," said dugout coach Matt Galante. "I think down the road he'll have an even (higher) batting average than he does now.

"That topspin makes it hard for an outfielder to make a play, with a ball bitting down. We like his offensive potential."

Talking with Bagwell, you get the impression that he's still a bit in awe of where he is and how fast he got here. After all, he was only drafted in June 1989. And even though he hit .325 in the minors, two years is a quick trip to the major leagues.

"There's definitely a lot more mental pressure to succeed in the majors because there's no further up you're going," Bagwell said. "You can only go down."

Don't think for a moment that he's intimidated by that, however. This Astro is nothing if not all-business. While other players are joking around during pre-game warm-ups, Bagwell remains a bit apart from it all. He's constantly focused at the job at hand.

"Jeff's a real intense player and exactly the kind of guy you want," Galante said. "He wants to do whatever he can to help win a ball game. He's a winning type player."

Despite his businesslike approach, Bagwell is in many ways very much the rookie. Many veterans would grate at the Astros' low attendance this season, but not him.

"You've got to remember, I never played before this big a crowd anyway," Bagwell said. "I just came out of double A. But winning will draw them out."

The one knock on him so far has been his high number of strikeouts. Bagwell, always aggressive at the plate, has been a feast-or-famine type hitter. While his offensive numbers are anything but, his strikeout total is a truly offensive 70 in 264 at-bats, which ranks him second in the league.

"The strikeouts have really been nagging at me," he said. "I tend to overswing sometimes with two strikes. I need to just wait for my pitch and make contact. I've cut down on them the last three weeks, but I've got a lot farther to go."

His self-criticism and even-natured approach translate into a maturity and intelligence at the plate that has begun to catch some attention.

"It's obvious he can hit," said Cincinnati Reds Manager Lou Piniella. "But what I like so much is his aggressiveness. He never gets cheated. He's a scary guy to have to pitch to."

Not bad for a player who just last year was toiling away for the Red Sox organization in Double AA New Britain. Despite his impressive start, it seemed there were going to be some problems.

Even though he was last year's Eastern League Most Valuable Player, his position was third base. And Boston has some guy named Wade Boggs at that position, who's a bit of an MVP himself. So when the Red Sox traded him to Houston last Aug. 31 for reliever Larry Andersen, it was the best situation for everyone.

"I was really surprised when Boston traded me because I had such a good year," Bagwell said. "But they felt they needed a pitcher to put them in to the World Series. It was just one of those things."

For a time it seemed that he might face the same problem with the Astros with Ken Caminiti taking up permanent residence at the hot corner. But with 10 days to go in spring training, he was shifted to first, a position he had not played since high school.

"He committed some errors earlier in the season, but he's made some real strides in that department as well," Galante said. "We've been real impressed with Jeff's attitude."

With Bagwell changing positions and hitting close to .300 in his first year, it's hard not to be impressed. But perhaps the only person who isn't is Bagwell himself.

"I need to be more consistent at the plate and wait for my pitch," he said. "I've been having a lot of fun so far, but there's a lot more to go."

STUDENT SENTENCED FOR DEATH OF BABY

BY DAI HUYNH

A former UH student was placed on probation for the murder of her newborn baby in her dormitory room at North Moody Tower.

State District Judge Carl Walker placed Jeri Michelle Sayles, 21, on 10-year probation and fined her $3,000.

Sayles was also ordered to perform 350 hours of community service at a hospital working with children and at the same time undergo psychological treatment.

Sayles pleaded no contest to the murder charges of her baby's death on May 8, 1990. However, she continues to insist that the child was born dead.

According to the autopsy, the baby died of asphyxia brought about by suffocation.

The baby's body was discovered unconscious in a laundry basket in the dorm's bathroom, and attempts to revive the baby with CPR failed.

Sayles admitted to the court that she was trying to hide her pregnancy because it would have embarrassed her parents.

If Sayles adheres to the conditions of her probation, she will not face conviction.

DON`T SNOOZE: DESERTED CARS TO BE TOWED SOON

BY MICHAEL HINES

Now that the summer is officially here and parking congestion is at its low point of the year, UHPD can now safely identify and begin to remove all abandoned vehicles parked on campus parking lots, Lt. Brad Wigtil said.

"It's during the quiet time of the year like the summer or between semesters when the lots are empty when we notice (the abandoned or disabled cars)," Wigtil said. "Occasionally the community will notify us about such a car. If this happens we'll go out and check it out."

But until this happens, the decision on whether a car is broken down is a discretionary one that the UHPD must make, he said.

"If we think we've found such a car, we will mark the date on the tire and the pavement with yellow chalk and log the information in. Thirty days later we go back and see if the car has been moved or not," Wigtil said.

At this time a few cars that meet this description can be found in various lots on campus. A white Skylark with a smashed front end has been marked with chalk "5-9-91" in lot 9.

"If we decide to tow the car a registered letter will be sent to the car's owner informing them about the towing," Wigtil said. "The car will be kept in our storage lot for 30 days, and if it is not claimed, then the car will be moved to a permanent storage lot. Again a registered letter will be sent to the owner informing them of this move."

Broken down cars are also a problem at the Cambridge Oaks Apartments, but the ability to tow such cars is harder because of state law restrictions, said resident manager John Iannuzzo.

"The law requires that we give the car's owner 72 hours notice before we tow the vehicle," Iannuzzo said. "This is the hard part because we must track down the owner. Sometimes the car doesn't have a parking sticker or they have not registered the car with us. Sometimes the car is owned by a guest of someone."

The lease agreement that residents sign before moving into the complex says "the owner of the apartment may regulate, limit or prohibit from the apartment or apartment community vehicles which are inoperable due to flat tires or missing parts or which have an expired license or inspection sticker."

At this time a blue Mazda with a smashed windshield sits on a jack under a tarp with a tire off. In the lot is also a tan and yellow Ford Fairmont with a crushed front end and a green Oldsmobile with a flat tire and no license plates.

"We just towed a car that was in front of the laundry mat a few days ago," Iannuzzo said. "If residents complain about such cars then we'll do something about them."

PARKING TICKET RIP OFF COSTS STUDENTS MONEY

BY MICHAEL HINES

Hypothetical situation. You park in an inlying lot and you only have an outlying sticker.

A white-shirted parking enforcement assistant comes by and writes you a ticket for a parking violation. He places the blue copy under your security-tight windshield wiper.

A moment later another student pulls up and parks illegally. He takes your ticket and places it on his car to avoid receiving a ticket of his own. You return to your car after class and see no ticket.

Two months later the word "citation" shows up mysteriously on your bill with a $30 charge without your even being aware that you have received a ticket.

Fact: This violation carries a fine of $15.

Fact: If the fine is paid within 48 hours then the fine is reduced by 50 percent.

Fact: If the fine goes unpaid for more than 21 days, then the fine is doubled.

"We're not aware of such an activity," Gerald Hagan, manager of parking and transportation, said. "Unless people are appealing them in court."

"I've heard that it occurs," assistant dean of students Heriberto Leon said. "I guess that has happened sometimes."

Sheri, who didn't want to use her last name, and a UH employee, said that this has happened to her.

"One day when I went out to move my car, I saw that I had received a ticket. I left it on my windshield. When I went to my car after work the ticket was gone," she said.

"I think it's a common practice to take someone else's ticket and place it on their own car to keep from getting a ticket of their own," she said. If a student aquires four unpaid parking citations then the car will be placed on the tow list, UH Assistant Chief of Police Frank Cempa said. When the car is found it will be towed.

Vickie, who also didn't want to use her last name, and a student/staff member said her car was towed after receiving only two tickets. Jim, an HRM major, said his car was also towed without meeting the required four.

"I saw one or two tickets," he said. "I never remember seeing four. They weren't on my fee bill and I registered for summer 1, 3 and 4 and the fall semester. I called them up and found out that I received some of the tickets during the spring semester. It should have been on my fee bill. There has to be a better way of informing someone that they have received a ticket. Perhaps a phone call or a friendly reminder in the mail."

Jim said his car was towed from a meter in front of the Hilton College. He said his decal was in view on the rear window. "I'm not sure if I'm going to appeal. It's such a hassle. It's probably better to just pay it and get it over with."

The PEA's hand out an average of 1,500 tickets a month, Hagan said. He also said that there will be 200 tows a month for a number of reasons, including being placed on the tow list. Hagan also said that a car that is registered and has a parking permit should not be towed no matter how many tickets one receives.

"The outstanding balance will be placed on their account," Hagan said. "A student will not receive their grades or be able to register for classes if they still have a balance."

Leon, on the other hand, has a different understanding of the system.

"Anyone that has accumulated four or more tickets will get towed. Anyone."

The last step for a student to break the system and avoid the fines is to appeal the tickets in Student Traffic Court and then wait a couple of months for your day in court to come.

Leon, the director of the Student Traffic Court, says the court usually meets two or three times every week to handle appeals during the spring and fall semesters.

"The process of making an appeal usually takes about two months at the longest."

In the spring the court dealt with 764 appeals, and Leon expects they'll handle about 250 during the summer.

GLITCH IN MAILING SYSTEM

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

Strange things are afoot in the Bursar's Office.

Have you received a UH envelope with your name on it expecting it to be your fee statement only to open it up and find that it's not your fee statement?

Did the envelope addressed to you contain not only your fee statement but also a total stranger's?

UH Bursar Phyllis Bradley said the problems stem from two things: a glitch in the new computer system and a problem at the mailing services office.

Bradley said her office is only reponsible for tracking accounts and printing the bills. Once that is done she sends the bills to the mailing office and they charge her for mailing them.

She said a problem was found in the way student data had been transferred to the new system. Somehow a few students' addresses were mixed up and put on other students' accounts, she said.

Although officials thought the problem was corrected, it has surfaced again during the first mail-outs. No accurate count of the number of accounts affected was available.

Bradley says the problem has now been dealt with. If students have problems, however, she said students should send the envelopes and fee statements back. "We would like to see it to see if there are any problems," she said.

UH Post Master Hong Ong, who directs the office that oversees all UH mail, said the folding- and envelope-stuffing machines may have also played a part in the mix-ups.

Ong said the new fee statements are printed on thinner, slicker paper. The old ones were thick due to several carbon copies attached. Ong said the machines have been recalibrated for thickness.

"It still might happen once in a while when you do 20,000 or 30,000 at a time," Ong said.

PROF'S WIFE GIVES GIFT

BY LUBAINA S. TYEBJA

A gift from the wife of one of Texas' most noted geochemists helped establish the Leo Horvitz Memorial Research Laboratory in the Department of Geosciences at UH recently.

The gift, donated by Bunny Horvitz, consists of equipment worth more than $100,000, formerly used by the late Leo Horvitz, a pioneer in the field of geochemical oil prospecting.

The equipment includes a mass spectrometer, three gas chromatographs, fluorescence spectrophotometer, four IBM Clone personal computers, as well as a large amount of lesser lab equipment and furniture.

"This equipment greatly expands the analytical and instrumental capacity of the university's geosciences department," said Arch Reid, chairman of the Department of Geosciences at UH. "We will be able to break new ground as a result of this donation."

Already the energy industry in Houston has shown an interest in this expanded research capability in organic geochemistry. Shell oil company and Exxon Production Research have both contributed to the lab and the Department of Geosciences anticipates "expanded contact and more joint research with them in the future."

The mass spectrometer is a welcome addition to the department since more than half the faculty here is involved with research projects requiring the use of this piece of equipment.

This kind of research also has applications in other fields like chemical physics, chemistry, biochemistry, biology and archeology. Several other departments will be able to take advantage of the lab.

Joint research projects are being planned with faculty members from civil and environmental engineering, electrical engineering, physics and archaeology.

All the major pieces of equipment donated by the Horvitz family are functional. Associate Professor of Geosciences Regina Capuano will be the primary user of the laboratory.

Horvitz was one of the pioneers of research in the field of geochemical oil prospecting and the founder of Horvitz Research Laboratories in Houston. In his lifetime he established himself as one of the leaders in his field.

He held several patents and published numerous papers including "Hydrocarbon Geochemical Prospecting After 50 years," published posthumously in Unconventional Methods in Exploration for Petroleum and Natural Gas 4, by Southern Methodist University Press.

Bunny Horvitz chose to donate the laboratory after contacting several universities. "My husband accomplished so much in 50 years that I wanted to see his laboratory continue helping other researchers and students," she said.

JUVENILES NABBED FOR TREPASSING,

MATCH DESCRIPTION OF BIKE THIEVES

BY FRANK M. ROSSI

Three juveniles who were arrested June 28 for criminal trespassing at Cambridge Oaks apartments match the description and modus operandi (MO) of three juveniles who fled from an attempted burglary at Cambridge Oaks June 12, UHPD Assistant Chief Frank Cempa said.

The Daily Cougar reported that on June 12 at about 12:27 a.m. two Cambridge Oaks apartments almost had three bicycles stolen from their balconies. One of the apartment residents chased the juveniles away, and all three bikes were eventually abandoned.

On June 28 at about 12:46 a.m., Bill Ruth, manager on duty at Cambridge Oaks, reported three suspicious juveniles loitering near the laundromat, Cempa said. Ruth was unavailable for comment.

When UHPD Officer Chris Hendricks arrived on the scene, he saw one juvenile standing near the laundromat next to a bike rack, Cempa said.

This juvenile then joined two other juveniles who were trying to leave the apartment complex via the front pedestrian gate on Wheeler, he said.

The only other entrance is a drive-through gate in the rear of the complex. No-trespassing signs are posted at each entrance and exit.

UHPD Officer Matthew Stewart, who came for back-up, apprehended the three juveniles as they exited the pedestrian gate, Cempa said.

He said two of the juveniles attempted to flee on bicycles, and the serial numbers on them were checked. The numbers were not on record as stolen bike numbers, he said.

The juveniles' names cannot be revealed by law, but they are described as black males, two of them 12 years old, one of them 14 years old, he said.

They are being charged with criminal trespass, a Class B misdemeanor. All three were turned over to the Juvenile Probation Detention Center on West Dallas.

Cempa said positive identification could not be made to link these juveniles to the earlier attempted bike thefts. They are only being charged with the recent criminal trespass misdemeanors.

However, he said that similar descriptions and methods of operation suggest that these could be the same juveniles.

POLICE BEAT

BY FRANK M. ROSSI

This week's blotter covers crimes reported to UHPD between July 2 and July 8.

THEFTS

7/1 -- 1:16 p.m., S & R II, stereo (from a student)

7/1 -- 1:25 p.m., S & R II, stereo (from another student)

7/1 -- 3:01 p.m., M.D. Anderson Library, bookbag containing camera equipment

7/2 -- 3:06 p.m., Hilton Hotel, laser pointer (from the staff)

7/3 -- 10:44 a.m., Houston Science Center, stereo

7/4 -- 2:52 a.m., Lot 16E, cassette radio and personal property (from a parked, locked vehicle)

7/7 -- 10:47 a.m., Moody Towers, copper piping (from a loading platform)

7/7 -- 6:44 p.m., M.D. Anderson Library, textbook (personal property)

VANDALISM

7/1 -- 2:08 p.m., Lot 16B, dented car door

7/2 -- 7:55 p.m., S & R II, attempted office break-in

7/3 -- 11:59 a.m., Lot 1A, vehicle damaged while parked

MISCELLANEOUS

7/8 -- 1:14 a.m., Cougar Place, abusing phone calls

STUDENTS NEED TO WRITE STATE CONGRESS: DEAN

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

With UH's head waiting in the budgetary guillotine, student and faculty leaders are trying to rally student support to influence state legislators, but they feel the reaction so far hasn't been enough to fight off the impending cuts.

Harrell Rodgers, dean of the social sciences department and chair of the UH Legislative Relations Committee, said, "What we're recommending is that they contact people. Legislators are really impressed by student input because they are the ones most drastically affected."

Rodgers said the cuts, as stated in the State Comptroller John Sharp's proposal, would cut $35 million, or about 12 percent, from UH's budget.

These cuts, Rodgers said, would make a 15 percent cut in the student body, about 5,000 students, and another 12 to 14 percent cut in faculty and staff necessary. Rodgers said the already financially starved UH library would also receive cuts.

Rodgers made a presentation at an open meeting called by UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett, where he detailed the consequences of these proposed cuts.

Rodgers also passed out a hand-out containing names, addresses, and suggestions on the way to write state legislators about the Sharp proposal.

"They (students) could write their representatives a letter to the editor, but they don't have to write, they can call these people also," Rodgers said.

Rodgers says he has been working with the Students' Association in lobbying against the Sharp proposal.

SA Director of External Affairs, Joe Henry, has already made trips to Austin to meet with legislators in an attempt to influence them.

He said he and other members of the UH SA presidential cabinet, along with student body leaders from other campuses, had signed a letter, a resolution and a recommendation opposing Sharp's proposed cuts and circulated it to state legislators.

Henry, a political science senior, said, "In his proposal he (Sharp) says there will be opposition by students and parents and I hope that will come true because otherwise we have no hope."

DIRECTOR OUSTED - UNIVERSITY COMMITTEE DISMISSES

AAS' BROWN-GUILLORY

BY DAI HUYNH

UH administrators relieved Elizabeth Brown-Guillory of her administrative position as director of African-American Studies Program after concluding that a change of leadership was necessary

for the viability of the program.

After interviewing students, faculty and AAS staff, the Administrative Review Committee determined that "the overall performance of the director has been detrimental to the program," adding that Brown-Guillory's "continuation in the position would cause irreparable damage to the program's success."

Brown-Guillory's irrevocable alienation of students, staff and faculty members threatened the program's success, said the committee chair, Dean Karen Haynes.

AAS can not function properly if it does not have the support of its major constituencies, she said.

The committee was charged to evaluate the leadership of AAS in March when efforts to resolve a conflict between black student groups and Brown-Guillory failed.

In spring 1991, tension within AAS escalated when the Black Student Union and other black campus organizations introduced a petition demanding the removal of Brown-Guillory as AAS director.

The petition states that Brown-Guillory was unprofessional and insensitive to students' needs, but the issue that mostly concerned the students was her objection to the Black Exchange and the removal of Alexander Brown as assistant AAS director.

The way she removed Brown from his position without an explanation angered many students, BSU President Rhonda Bailey said.

But with the termination of Brown-Guillory as AAS director, BSU will once again participate in the program and do all that it can to make it a success, she said.

According to Bailey, while Brown-Guillory was still in office, students felt uncomfortable going up to the AAS offices. She made the students feel unwelcome in the program, she said.

"I'm glad that what needed to be done was done to help the African-American Program to survive," said Bailey, who participated on the advisory committee.

Brown-Guillory was relieved as the program's director last Friday, and will reclaim her former position as a tenured associate professor of English.

AAS Assistant Director Delinda Marzette is currently in charge until a replacement can be found.

"The program will go on," Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs James Pickering said. "The major thing we have to do now is find a new director."

An interim director will be in place by the fall semester, Humanities and Fine Arts Acting Dean James Pipkin said.

Along with the advisory committee, a Program Advisory Committee was also set up to assess the role and mission of AAS.

The report that was submitted by the program committee is probably the best thing that emerged from this whole incident, Pickering said.

Some of the recommendations made by the program committee include efforts to integrate African-American students into the university community and provide a nurturing and supportive environment.

TELESCOPE WILL GIVE GOOD VIEW OF ECLIPSE

BY TOMMY LEO

The observatory telescope that sits on top of the Science and Research Building in its rotating white-domed shell will be blindfolded to one of the most significant astronomical events, a solar eclipse, when it occurs Thursday afternoon.

The telescope is not equipped with a filter for safe viewing.

But not all is lost. Art Rabeau and other members in the Physics Department plan to set up an 8-inch telescope on the grounds near the UC Satellite, where people will be invited to take a free peek at the rare occurrence.

The ground telescope will be fitted with a specially made aluminized Mylar filter to block out all but 1/10,000 of 1 percent of the sun's light coming through the lens. The filter will also block out infrared and harmful ultraviolet rays to avoid possible retinal damage to the eyes. The filter will enable viewers to safely and comfortably view the solar eclipse.

Rabeau said the telescope will be adjusted with a magnification between 50 and 80 power to enable viewers to see the entire sun with a sharp degree of clarity and detail.

The eclipse, which will be the last one visible in the United States until the year 2014, will begin at about 12:59 p.m. and end at 3:32 p.m.

The time at which the eclipse will reach maximum coverage will occur around 2:18 p.m. At that time, more than half of the sun's light, about 60 percent, will be masked by the moon as its orbit takes it in between earth and the sun.

"I have finals and they have eclipsed everything else for me," Tammy Wall, a freshman journalism major, said referring to the coming celestial spectacle. But she added that she hopes to be able to watch the eclipse between her finals and other projects.

Arthur Salako, a senior majoring in electrical power technology, said, "I'd like to see it through the telescope if I'm out of my final and there's not a long line."

Salako said when he was seven years old, everyone at his school participated in the last solar eclipse by bringing a large bowl to school filled with water so they would be able to look at the reflection of the sun. But Salako wonders if that was good advice.

Bob Hackett, a post-baccalaureate student in history, said, "I think it's neat. It will be the first time I've seen an eclipse, but I do remember a guy on the radio said something about using a small hole in a piece of cardboard and holding another piece of paper at arm's length apart to show the eclipse on the paper."

The Houston Museum of Natural Science will use its telescope to project an image of the eclipse onto the ceiling of the Burke Baker Planetarium. The show, which begins around 1 p.m. and ends at 3:30 p.m., is free to the public. The planetarium, 1 Herman Circle Drive, is capable of seating 232 people.

Grace Anger, a receptionist at the museum said, "Just by the response we've been getting on the phone, I think there will be a lot of people out here."

SOLAR ECLIPSE TO DARKEN SKY

BY MARGARET HUSER

Don't break out those cheap sunglasses just yet.

Although the world will experience the longest total solar eclipse for the next 141 years, experts advise the curious not to look directly at the event.

The eclipse will bring five minutes of total darkness to regions stretching from the big island of Hawaii through central Mexico.

Viewers in Texas will be exposed to a partial solar eclipse occurring at approximately 2:18 p.m. If weather conditions permit, individuals in the Texas region will see 60 percent of the solar eclipse.

Unfortunately, due to the chance of cloudy weather conditions, Houstonians may see even less of the solar phenomenon.

Lawrence Pinsky, UH professor of physics, said that cloud coverage in Houston may reduce the awareness of the eclipse.

"It may only seem like another hazy day in Houston," he said.

A solar eclipse takes place when the moon crosses in front of the sun's face. The sun, the earth and the moon must be in perfect alignment so that the moon's shadow falls on a section of the earth.

Because the weather may appear hazy there might be a temptation to look into the sky. Pinksy and other astromony organizations around town have emphasized the hazards of looking directly at the sun during an eclipse.

A representative of the Houston branch of the Texas Society to Prevent Blindness says, "people mistakenly assume that they can watch an eclipse --unaware that invisible rays from the sun can painlessly burn the retinas in their eyes."

The burns to the eyes are known as solar retinopathy or retinal scar-

ring, and they can cause permanent, irreversible damage.

According to the society, "sunglasses, exposed film, welder's goggles, and photographic filters are not suitable protection and should not be used for direct viewing."

The society suggests individuals should seek safe viewing tips from professionals.

On Thursday, the Houston Museum of Natural Science, located in Hermann Park, will offer several activities.

Trained museum staff members will present a live video of the eclipse projected from the roof of the Burke Baker Planetarium.

In addition, mini-sundials will be given out free of charge. Participants will learn how to use the instrument to time the approach of the eclipse.

More importantly, museum staff members will offer tips on safe viewing.

Additional information about the solar eclipse is available through the the Texas Society to Prevent Blindness, 526-2559.

SCHOOL OFFICIALS CALL AUDIT `DEVASTATING'

BY CHRIS PAYNE

Comptroller John Sharp's fat-finding mission could turn into a budgetary nightmare for UH if his proposals are accepted by the Texas Legislature.

Released last week, Sharp's 1300-page audit of state government, The Texas Performance Review, boasts general revenue savings of $4 billion to help float a projected revenue shortfall of $4.6 billion for the 1992-93 biennium.

Higher education, spanning 90 pages of the report, is targeted for a funding reduction of $622 million over the biennium -- $35 million of which could come directly from UH's pockets.

The Legislature begins its special session July 15.

"Sharp's audit is devastating to higher education," said Social Sciences Dean Harrell Rodgers, who heads UH's Legislative Relations Committee.

"I think it's been sold as a method by which the Legislature can get out of the session without a large tax bill," Rodgers said. "But before it's all over, it's really a tax bill."

Amid several colossal cuts to higher education, Sharp's plan calls for a doubling of state tuition, but stipulates that only 25 percent of the generated revenue would go back to universities -- with the remaining 75 percent to fund other state programs. Rodgers said the tuition proposal could cost UH $7.5 million in fiscal year '93.

UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett said the tuition proposal would make universities "tax collectors for the state."

"Students would be funding roads and prisons," Barnett said. "It is important for people to know what this (Sharp's report) means. I think every university in the state is unprepared by the depth of these cuts."

With more than three-fourths of UH's budget coming from the state, Sharp's cuts could amount to more than a 12 percent loss of revenue for the university, resulting in a possible 15 percent reduction in enrollment and a 12 to 14 percent reduction in full-time faculty and staff.

"Certainly, we would be talking about cutting sections and possibly decreasing enrollment over a two- to three-year period," she said.

Rep. Ron Wilson, D-Houston, said he does not support Sharp's tuition proposal.

"I think it sucks, quite frankly, and you can quote me on that," Wilson said. "It's like Robin Hood in reverse.

"My personal preference is not to support a tuition or (student) fee increase at all," he said. "I think the state owes its citizens a number of things. We ought to be heavily subsidizing higher education.

"The worst-case scenario for higher education is if we adopt Sharp's plan; the best-case scenario is if we don't."

Rep. Debra Danburg, D-Houston, said she will support higher education, but the prospects of the Sharp package passing look good.

"I think if everything gets out on the House floor, it will pass," she said. "The only changes will be before, in committee."

Danburg said that, other than for where it concerns higher education and teacher retirement, the Sharp package is "fabulous and a long-time coming."

Sen. Chet Brooks, D-Pasadena, however, said the Sharp plan is not exactly worth its weight in gold.

"Sharp has over 900 options or ideas," he said. "Some are good and others are just fantasy. It probably only has about $1 to 2 billion in legitimate savings."

He said the fate of higher education may not be as dire as people expect.

"There's a potential stampede always in the legislative process, and if it's a long, hard session with a lot of wrangling over everything and trying to cut deals, some bad things could happen.

"But if we take advantage of the good things in the Sharp plan and fix and discontinue those things that are flawed, we don't have to destroy the opportunities available in higher education."

Brooks said he opposes Sharp's tuition proposal.

"I have no ideas on doubling or quadrupling tuition. I think it would hurt not only those students from low-income areas, but even students from medium-income families, he said. "If we start killing off essential programs that people rely on, we're just going to make this a much sorrier state."

Sen. Gene Green, D-Houston, agreed.

"I can't vote for a doubling of tuition," he said. "It's too much, too soon. I think the best thing is to build in a tuition increase over a period of years and hold the line on the (Sharp) cuts.

"I think if that enough people get behind this we can get out of this session without any major cuts."