ANIMAL CARE AN ALL-DAY JOB

BY MICHAEL D. OESSER

Although many UH staffers complain about dealing with `animals' all day long, a new staff member is bragging about doing just that this semester.

After two months on the job, the task is already routine for Charles Raflo, the new director of Animal Care.

Raflo came to UH in June, after 24 years in the Army. His extensive resume includes directing the Division of Veterinary Medicine at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in Washington, D.C.

At UH, the Animal Care Operations office purchases, feeds, houses and cares for animals used for research and teaching at Central and Clear Lake campuses.

Raflo, who did basically the same thing when he was in the Army, decided on this line of work because the idea of a private veterinary practice didn't appeal to him.

"When I was in vet school I worked in some private practices and I saw that vets made a fair amount of money, but they also worked a lot," he said. "They're always on the go and they get little free time."

Raflo said working with a broad range of animals appeals to him. At UH, Raflo cares for rats, mice, primates, cats, turtles, frogs, chickens, guinea pigs and a dog.

Others in the field of laboratory animal medicine work with animals ranging from shrimp to dromedaries (or one-humped camels), Raflo said.

Most of the animal research at UH is in optometry, where primates are used, and in pharmacology, where a variety of animals are used.

While some people are against animal research, and raise ethical queries, Raflo said he doesn't let those concerns bother him.

"I have gone through other facilities and looked at the animals and seen animals where it looks like the animal has had enough, that the animal had suffered too much, that they couldn't get anything more out of the animal," Raflo said. "And I have decided that it was time to stop, that it was time either for euthanasia or healing to start."

Raflo said that while other methods of research are now being developed, animal research is still necessary.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture lays down strict guidelines to determine and approve the minimum number of animals necessary to perform an experiment and how an experiment can be performed with the least amount of discomfort to the animals. There is also a UH System review board gauranteeing the guidelines are followed, Raflo said.

"There are alternatives being developed and when they are developed and authenticated, we will use them," he said. "For now it is difficult to do surgical research on a computer. But whenever we can get away from using animals, we do it."

Raflo pointed out that mankind has made considerable advancements in the areas of transplants and vaccines through animal research.

"Without a lot of the animal research we've done, life would not be as wonderful as it is," he said.

*******************************************************

ON THE RECEIVING END OF KLINGLER-GUIDED

MISSILES

BY RANDY BAZAN

While University of Houston quarterback David Klingler catches most of the spotlight, his Heisman-quality statistics couldn't be achieved without the help of the talented men who catch his passes--the Cougar receivers.

Since Houston installed the powerful Run-and-Shoot offense in 1987, the team has almost completely rewritten the NCAA and Southwest Conference record book. The Cougars have set more than 250 records during that span.

The team has also boasted the number one receiver in the nation each of the past four years (Jason Phillips 1987-88, Manny Hazard 1989-90).

Hazard is gone, but second year Head Coach John Jenkins again has an impressive corps of receivers at his disposal.

Perhaps the top Houston returnee is senior wideout John Brown III. The 6-3 Brown III, better known as JB-3 started slowly with the Cougars last season after transferring from Dodge City Community College in Kansas, but came on strong as the year progressed.

"As far as a top-caliber player, he (JB-3) is big, tall target with long arms and big hands," Jenkins said. "He's legitimate, he can play."

Blessed with blinding speed (JB-3 once ran a wind-aided 9.89 100-meters for Dodge City), he led the Cougars with a 25.4 yards per catch average and had three touchdown catches in Houston's final game against Arizona State.

For the season, he caught just 17 passes, but they were good for 431 yards and seven touchdowns. He attributes his slow start (his first reception was in the fifth game of the season) to the time of adjustment needed to learn the system.

"It was just a matter of time to adjust," Brown III said. "Everybody helped me."

National magazines have taken notice of JB-3, some calling him one of the best receivers in the country.

"I don't look at magazines and get a big head," he said. "I just go out there and execute my plays. I worry about making the big catch and scoring."

Last season, Houston posted a 10-1 record and finished 10th in the Associated Press poll. However, because of a two-year bowl ban, the Cougars were ineligible for a post-season game.

This year, the Cougars are no longer grounded by the NCAA and are ready to launch their aerial attack on the SWC for their first conference championship since 1984.

Inside receiver Tracy Good said the key to Cougars' success this year is their non-conference games against Louisiana Tech, Miami, Fla. and Illinois.

"If we get past our first three opponents with flying colors we probably won't have too much trouble with the rest of our schedule, even though they will be tough opponents," Good said. "We're taking no one for granted."

Good, is the top returning pass catcher from 1990, when he pulled in 67 receptions for 616 yards and five touchdowns; good enough to place him 10th in the nation.

After just two seasons, the 5-6 junior from Clute Brazosport already ranks eighth in all-time Cougar receiving with 99 receptions. With two years to go, he has a chance to become the SWC's all-time receiving leader. But individual records aren't that important to Good.

"I'm out there to help the team win," Good said. "If it happens that's good."

One of the biggest concerns for the Cougar offense is finding a replacement for Hazard, who caught a SWC record 220 passes for 31 touchdowns in his two year Houston career.

Jenkins and staff may have the perfect man in Fred Gilbert. The 5-9 junior was sat out in 1990 after transferring from UCLA.

"He spent two years there and did not catch a single pass," Jenkins said. "He may lead the country in receiving this year."

Why is Jenkins so confident in Gilbert? In fall camp two-a-day scrimmages, Gilbert has caught 297 passes with only 23 drops.

Though he steps into Hazard's slot position, he said there is no pressure.

"We have a lot of talented receivers and there shouldn't be any pressure on any one receiver because any one of the four receivers can score any time they get the ball," Gilbert said.

Gilbert was homesick at UCLA when he decided to return to his home state.

"I wanted to come to Houston in the first place, but the probation scared me off," he said.

One player the Cougars are expecting big things out of in 1991 is outside receiver Marcus Grant. The 5-9 junior out of Dallas Carter had a solid sophomore season, catching 37 passes for 662 yards and six touchdowns.

His best day came against Texas Christian, when he pulled in three passes, all for touchdowns in the Cougars' 56-35 win over the Horned Frogs.

Grant has high hopes for the 1991 Cougars.

"This team has a chance to get over that hump that we couldn't get over last year," he said. "Big things are going to happen to us this year."

He said because of the complexity of the Run-and-Shoot offense, he is always learning new things about the system.

REGISTRATION BY PHONE STILL DISTANT DREAM

BY MICHAEL HINES

So you're tired of standing in lines for hours on end, trying hopelessly to get the one class you need for graduation.

Well students, soon (don't hold your breath) you'll be able to sit in the comfort of your own living room and listen to a busy signal on your AT&T touchtone telephone while you try hopelessly to get the one class you need for graduation.

Touch tone registration should be a reality soon at UH, university President Marguerite Ross Barnett promised in a rare interview during the summer. But students want to know when.

The system was first used at Brigham Young University seven years ago. The University of Texas has it; Ohio St. has it; Texas A & M has it; the University of North Carolina has it; Lamar University in Beaumont has it and even Houston Community College has it.

"I can't believe Lamar has it and we don't," Cliff McBean, President of Phi Beta Sigma, said.

"Even Sam Houston has it," Louis Romano, an ex SHSU student, said. "What's wrong with UH?"

One university after another has been getting the system while UH officials keep telling students "next year." To the best recollections of students, three years have passed since the promise by the school's administration for the system was made.

The university is in the midst of installing a new telephone system that would make it possible for the university to have the much overdue phone registration.

The computer system needed for the process is now sitting in some vacant office in the E. Cullen building unused, said Students' Association Senator Joel Richards. "I think it's long overdue," SA President Michael Berry said. "There is no reason for a university of our financial stature to not have phone registration. It's a huge time saver. It's very convenient.

"It's time UH got on the bandwagon." How long does this process take? How much time will it save? "I can't imagine staying on the phone for more than an hour," Berry said. "You figure it takes 20 minutes to drive to UH and 20 minutes to drive back. You know you're going to stand in line for more than 20 minutes."

Annelle Lester, an employee in the registrar's office at UT, said it takes a student three and one half minutes to register once a student gets through the busy signals.

That's 210 seconds. That leaves 56 and a half minutes of free time to spend elsewhere. That's 3,390 seconds that can be spent in the bookstore. There is also no wasted gas, unnecessary polution, accidents and deaths because time spent on Houston's dangerous freeways will be erased.

Registration lines at UT are open from 8 a.m. to midnight and students register by classification or last name or a combination of the two, Lester said.

Michael Allen, an associate registrar at UT said the system, which was built within the school, has been a great addition to the university.

"It makes life much simpler. It's been a significant step forward in UT's technological advancement," Allen said. Allen also said the registration process is longer, about six weeks in time.

"Forty thousand students have registered already. By the end of the week (last week) the remaining 10,000 students will have registered for the fall semester," he said.

Allen was quick to point out that the system is not cheap and it is expensive to maintain. "There's a $4 registration fee for all students. The money is used to upgrade the multiple computer system and the 120 phones we use for registration."

Allen also said that the process for installing the phone registration took a long time in planning.

"We researched the system for two years. It took another 18 months to install the system."

Mario Luchesi, the director of registration at UH said he could make no comment on the subject. His boss, Wayne Sigler, did not return phone calls.

Wayne Childs, an assistant registrar at BYU, said the university in Provo, Utah charges no registration fee. "Since we were the first to try the system, it was installed for free by Perceptions Technology," Childs said. "The system is paid for out of the general fund fee now."

Unlike UT's program, BYU's phone lines are open 24 hours a day six days a week and the registration period is longer. "Our only requirements are that the student be admitted and they pay a $50 deposit. Once we receive the deposit the student can use our system as many times as they like until their schedule meets their demands," Childs said.

QUARTER BREW, LIVE MUSIC AND FOOTBALL

AT BASH

BY FRANK M. ROSSI

day at 4 p.m. with a campus pep rally, live band and outdoor sports -- and yes, that's right -- 25 cent Budweisers.

Underwritten by the Alumni Association, the extravaganza will include free soft drinks and food stands from Pizza Hut, Grandy's and C & D Grocery and Bakery, offered at tantalizing reduced prices.

ARA will also provide board card dinner service in the park from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.

The pep rally will begin at 6:30 p.m., featuring Head Coach John Jenkins, players, cheerleaders, the marching band and the Cougar Dolls.

In addition, Intramurals will furnish equipment for partygoers to play badmitton, horseshoes, volleyball and basketball in the park.

The band, Beat Tempo, will provide live music starting at 5 p.m.

Head of Ticket Promotions Mike Pede said a party like this has never been done before.

"This should be the biggest party on campus in a long time," Pede said.

The party is designed to boost student home game attendence, which Pede said has been increasing for the past five years, to 8,400 per game in 1990 from an average of 4,300 per game in 1986.

The first home game is Saturday, Aug. 31 in the Astrodome against Louisiana Tech, and Pede said free ticket books are being mailed out to students taking seven or more hours. Students taking less than seven hours can purchase a ticket book for $10.

The ticket stub from Saturday's game can be used for admission to the Houston Astros game against the Philadelphia Phillies game on Sept. 6.

GORBY`S REIGN NEARING END SAY EXPERTS

BY DAI HUYNH

As the threads of the Soviet Union flag begin to unravel, the future looks bleak for Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev.

Gorbachev's power has been seriously impaired despite his successful retrieval of the presidency after the coup's collapse, Political Science Professor Joseph Nogee said.

"He comes back weaker than before the coup because the people who organized the coup were chosen by Gorbachev, and to some extent, this has discredited him," Nogee said.

Even more detrimental to Gorbachev's position is the influence of the Russian President. Boris Yeltsin's star is now clearly eclipsing Gorbachev's, Nogee said.

"Yeltsin and Gorbachev have had a long career of working together. They have been both rivals and collaborators, but Gorbachev had always been the dominant person in Soviet politics," Nogee said. "Now the balance has changed toward Yeltsin."

Political Science Professor Ray Duch, who returned from the Soviet Union a day before the coup began, said polls show that public support for Gorbachev has dropped dramatically in the last two years.

Gorbachev will have a very difficult time reestablishing his prestige and power, Duch said. He therefore has little choice but to form some type of partnership with Yeltsin, who is being hailed as a national hero, Duch said.

"We've already seen that in the last couple of days. He is going to have to cede considerable power and authority to Yeltsin whether he likes it or not," Duch said.

Duch said he expects the movement for independence to accelerate dramatically in the Baltic republics.

"Whether they'll be independent next year means that a lot of issues will have to be resolved," Duch said. "Territorial, financial and economic issues will have to be resolved before full independence is granted, assuming the Soviets are willing to do it."

Nogee said one problem that precipitated the coup was the relationship between the central government and the republics.

"The hardliners who staged the coup where opposed to the transferring of autonomy to the various republics," Nogee said. "That is probably the reason why the coup was timed when it was because Gorbachev was scheduled to sign a new treaty and he was willing to give the republics more autonomy."

Although Gorbachev had steadfastly opposed outright independence for any of the republics, Yeltsin long ago conceded the rights of those who want to break free of the Soviet Union, Nogee said.

"Now that Yeltsin is in the ascent, the chance to break away for some of the republics is greater now than ever," he said.

The Baltics consisting of Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia have declared their independence. However, the Supreme Soviet Central Government does not recognize their claims.

Nogee predicts Gorbachev's next step will be to purge personnel from both the army and the KGB because of their participation in the coup.

Gorbachev will scale down the KGB substantially as a political institution, but the army will not be pared down in the same way because of its important role in national defense policy, Nogee said.

"What I mean by scale down is the size of the military forces at the disposal of the KGB has to be reduced. The security function of the KGB should be taken away from the police and put into the hands of normal civilian institutions," he said.

Both Nogee and Duch attribute the coup's failure to its weak leadership. Although the coup was lead primarily by mediocre political figures, its marks a turning point in Soviet history, Nogee said.

"I would compare it to the most important single day in Soviet history since Nov. 7, 1917 (the Bolshevik Revolution) in the sense that it marked the real beginning of the end of authoritarian institution in Soviet society," Nogee said.

"Eventually, a party structure will develop in the Soviet Union, and the hardliners in the country, which there are many, will organize around whatever party structure emerges," Nogee said.

MUSIC MUSINGS, NIGHTLIFE NOTES

FROM AROUND TOWN

BY CHRIS ENGLISH

Boy, did you miss it. King Missile brought its particular brand of anecdotal armageddon to Houston's newest papal venue, the Vatican, on August 16.

Opening the show was From Now On, the latest incarnation of David Van Ohlerking's band (you may remember In the Garden or the Awful Truth). Same sounds, which is no disappointment at all, with their intelligent and original melodies, despite ironic hair spray-queen/Bon Jovi appearances.

In fact, for this show they chose to do an acoustic set sitting down. The drummer with his bare chest seemed almost morose sitting behind his single snare playing with brushes.

The bassist showed off the pretty acoustic bass that Keyboards and Drums had been kind enough to lend him (it seemed that was part of the terms for the loan).

Next to take the stage was Pretty Wild Planet, a band whose set entertained the crowd as much as it has the last couple of shows. If you haven't seen them, go. If you have seen them, you might want to wait until they write some new material.

As the last band, King Missile climbed the stage, John Hall, the vocalist conversed pleasantly with the crowd.

"This is all a part of the demystification process," he explained, which seems to be the theme of their latest album,"Way to Salvation."

After a quick and heated discussion, King Missile finally opened its set with a Beastie Boys cover which drew fervent applause from some and puzzled looks from others before launching straight into their own highly original material.

Hall's conversational style remained consistent throughout the show as he narrated more than sang most of the pieces you may have heard on KTRU such as "Sensitive Artist," "Jesus was Way Cool," and "My Baby Split My Head Open with a Pickaxe," while dancing a dervish to the band's whirling polyphony.

Dave Rick (Bongwater, Phantom Tollbooth, Yellow Tango) was the principal weaver of this tapestry with his blistering guitar leads and demonic riffs. Chris Xefos supplied the beefy bassline and the looped synthesizer while David Ramirez did a fine job of beating the skins.

This is a band to be enjoyed and bounced to, not to be taken seriously.

For those having a palate for Southern rock n' roll with a sense of humor, Party on the Plaza served up Dash Rip Rock last Thursday for a delicious main course, which more than made up for the fishy appetizers.

Guppies from Outer Space, who opened, frankly sucked. Even for a cover band. Their uninspired attempts of Your Top Ten List of Overused Party Tunes, made them stale even for frat parties. Several beers were required to remove the aftertaste.

While the Guppies floundered and the Yuppies stood around with their suit jackets slung over their shoulders, as if trying to regain the soul of rock n' roll to their miserable profit margin lives, on came, thank the Lord (Jerry Lee Lewis, that is) Dash Rip Rock.

The band took the stage by force in the grand old tradition of the South...with a lot of noise.

Rearing above the crowd was the tweaked-out beauty of Bill Davis' Fender Telecaster, bottomed by Ned "Hoaky" Hickel's foot-stompin' basslines and Chris Luckette drumming with grim determination.

They performed to a variegated and inebriated crowd, from bankers to bikers, whose only common denominator seemed to be their blood alcohol level and their fine appreciation of meat-and-bones Southern rock.

Songs ranged everywhere from original tunes to clever covers of Lynard Skynard's "Gimme Three Steps" to a twangy version of the Sex Pistols' "God Bless the Queen."

Gary Sapone, the roving mouth harp extraordinaire, made a special guest appearance as he took a microphone and really got the crowd belching with delight.

The finale came with a rousing rendition of Johnny Cash's "Ghost Riders in the Sky."

The band held nothing back, except, of course, for any objectionable or controversial language. It seems that Dash Rip Rock was asked by Epic Productions, the people who held the shindig, to refrain from using any material containing profanity.

Dave Smalley, vice president of Epic Productions, Inc., explained that the restriction was made because Party on the Plaza is "a social activity." Therefore, feel free to bring along the whole family, except that the kids will be stopped at the door because the show is restricted to those 21 or older by Miller Beer, another co-sponsor of the event.

WHEN IN LOLAPALOOZA, DO AS THE

LOLAPALOOZIANS DO

BY JENICK SWANN

If you did not go see LOLAPALOOZA kick yourself five times in the head.

Did that hurt?

GOOD!!!

The day started out with the family man himself, Henry Rollins. Basically, he was very loud, and he screamed a lot, and I was too busy finding acid to really get into it.

Next came Texas' own Butthole Surfers. The Surfers took the stage and, after their first song, smashed all the guitars to the delight of everyone exept the guitars. Now although I like the Buttholes, I guess I just wasn't in one of those Surfer moods, ya' know.

Ah ha, what's this they erected onstage? Why it's a big black backdrop with the words Original Gangster scrawled across it. Ice-T took the stage, proving why rap is important and why the other Ice cream cone is not.

The images of blood and death and gold are emblazoned across his most powerful songs, "Original Gangster," "New Jack Hustler," and "Colors." Even for young, white suburbanites, like most of the crowd, the tragedy and horror of South-central L.A. seemed very real.

But then, just as the acid was making an amusement park out of my mind, Ice-T brought out his new thrash band, Body Count, and the Starplex exploded. Ice took his Raiders cap off and let down a shock of long black hair. He discarded the black and silver jacket and stood like a true herald of the apocalypse in a white T-shirt, black pants and black boots.

And then began the Carnage!

Within minutes of Body Count's sceaming, wailing debut, a huge hurricane-like pit erupted on the lawn. Kids streamed in from the reserve seats and woe to ye who were in their path. Blankets were trampled, shirts lost, blood flowed, and in the middle of the maelstrom, at the eye, as it were, sat two rather bewildered young ladies sipping their smuggled rum.

Ice-T left the stage to a roaring ovation, and then everybody just sort of collapsed. If the day had ended right there it would have been well worth the admission.

But no! Fishbone took the stage next. Alas, having to follow one of the best shows ever given in the history of mankind (I can't personnally verify this) is tough for anyone. Fishbone romped and stomped through their Ska, world beat and funk set and left us all with a little sunshine.

Quick, back to the show, Living Colour took the stage and ripped into their torrid tale of power and charisma, "Cult of Personality."

Living Colour's set can be described as such, Cory Glover's voice crumbles mountains, shatters diamonds and baptizes souls. Unfortunately I was coming down at the time so I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have.

On came Souxsie and the Banshees. It was perfect. Trancendent music that weaves trancelike about the soul. A burning, golden sunset, and a huge thunderhead popping and billowing with it's own electric light show. Everyone was just mellowing out, and then, much to our collective chagrin, Souxsie announced that we just weren't responsive enough for her to stick around. Oh well, life's a bitch and so is Souxsie.

Everthing was dark. The crowd stood nervous. Anticipation was creeping up our spine and then...and then...Jane's Addiction appeared from the bowels of a smoke filled stage, igniting the air with their unique style. A gigantic bonfire was lit high on the lawn, hundreds of people were dancing around it like Indians.

"Jane Says, Stop," ripped the house apart but the highlight of the show was the near pornographic presentaion of Nothing's Shocking.

Two voluptuous females were carried onstage in the guise of the album cover statue. As the song began they stood, and in between kissing each other and fondling Perry Farrell they managed to writhe about a great deal. Disgusting to some, but surely turning this young lad's head to sheer lust. They climaxed the song by simulating every possible sexual position known to man, woman or beast.

It was nearly the end of the show, the end of the day. "Summertime Rolls," wafted across my being as I laid back, looking up at the perfect moon with the perfect little clouds shimmering across it. And I thought back on the whole day, and this moment and the fact that life was going to roll along to quickly.

And I thought if I could just die right there I would die happy.

BUILDING REPAIRS COME BETTER LATE THAN NEVER

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

The men and women in charge of keeping the structures on campus in good condition seem to be playing catch-up.

Despite spending $2.4 million between parking lots and building maintenance this coming year, UH edifices are staying just one step ahead of deterioration.

"We're spending $2 million dollars alone this year on deferred maintenance," Director of Operations and Maintenance Thomas Wray said. A maintenance job is termed deferred when it has been put off until the next year.

As physical plant workers make-up for last year's missed work, a back log of this years missed work builds up, Wray said.

"And we're doing less preventative maintenance than we've done in the past five years," he said. "You can't really stay on the schedule. It becomes a battle just to stay with the pattern."

Wray blamed the pile-up of work on the lack of money and loss of people.

"There is what you call a maintenance formula for our budget and if you figure out what we should be getting, we are getting about 50 cents on the dollar," he said.

Wray said the $2 million will go mainly towards reroofing, windows, foundations and heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems.

The parking lots around campus are faring a little better.

The UH Parking and Transportation Department has finished or is completing preventative maintenance on 15 parking lots and entrances this summer.

"They (the lots) were looking pretty bad. If we hadn't done this soon, we would be looking at repaving a lot of them, which cost a lot more," said Gerald Hagan, manager of parking and transportation.

Wray attributed much of the wear on the lots to foundation fatigue.

"We used to be on a 10-year maintenance program for resurfacing but lots were deteriorating and we have a lot of catching up to do," he said.

Hagan said his department has now moved to a three-year program.

"The reason we did so many lots this summer is because we're trying to get them in good condition so we can get them on that program," Hagan said. "In the past we haven't had a preventative maintenance program and we're hoping to get on one."

HADNOT, DB'S PROPEL HORNS'

HOPES TO REPEAT

BY JAVIER GONZALEZ

Last season the Texas Longhorns "shocked the nation" by winning the Southwest Conference, and they are ready to do it again.

Head Coach David McWilliams said his team should have no problems contending for the title this season despite the loss to Miami in the Cotton

Bowl.

"The loss in the Cotton Bowl does not seem to have had a bad effect,"

McWilliams said. "In fact, we learned some lessons there. There seems to be a whole lot of enthusiasm left over from last year."

If the Longhorns are to repeat as SWC champions they will have to win by playing solid defense.

Texas was the only team to hold Houston quarterback David Klingler to under 300 yards passing in the Longhorns 45-24 win in Austin.

Both teams will meet Nov. 9 in the Astrodome, in a game which should decide the SWC title.

Defensively, Texas is led by junior defensive end Shane Dronett. The sophomore, third team All-America, had 10 quarterback sacks to lead the team.

While Dronett leads the charge up front, safeties Lance Gunn and Van Malone will patrol the secondary in the absence of Stanley "the Sheriff" Richard.

Even though the secondary was riddled by the Hurricanes for 46 points and more than 300 yards passing, it still allowed the fewest points in the conference.

"We're fortunate to be pretty deep and talented in the secondary," McWilliams said. "That's so important these days with all the Run-and-Shoot teams you play. It's tough to lose a player as good as Stanley Richard, but overall we look as good or better in secondary.

Offensively, the Longhorns will win or lose on the powerful legs of sophomore running back Butch Hadnot, who ran for 541 yards and eight touchdowns.

Texas probably has the best depth at running back in the conference. Joining Hadnot in the backfield will be Adrian Walker. Walker was second on the team with 508 yards rushing.

Sophomore Phil Brown, red shirt freshmen Roderick Walker and Shane Childers give the Longhorns the ability to go three deep at both the running back and fullback positions.

Because of the lack of experienced wide receivers, Hadnot and the rest of Texas' stable of running backs must run enough to keep the pressure off quarterback Peter Gardere.

Gardere may not even be third best quarterback in the conference, but he does have a habit of making the big play. Last season he threw for 2,131 yards, second best in school history. He also threw 11 touchdowns, including a four touchdown performance against Texas Christian.

Gardere, however, will not have Keith and Kerry Cash to throw to. In fact, the Longhorns return only one wide reciever with any kind of experience.

With an inexperienced group of wide receivers, Gardere will be asked to make the big play more often.

How confident are the Longhorns in Gardere? Much heralded freshman quarterback Steve Clements, listed third behind Gardere and Jimmy Saxton on the depth chart, transferred to BYU because he could not unseat Gardere.

With a solid defense, the running of Hadnot and the continued smart play of Gardere, Texas will contend for another title. Only Houston stands in their way.

CATER ELECTED HEAD REGENT

With accolades of gratitude for his record three years at the helm, UH Board of Regent Chairman Kenneth Lay passed the reins of leadership to John Cater, who was unanimously elected Wednesday.

Cater, the Chief Executive Officer of the River Oaks Trust Company and the director of MCorp, is also on the boards of Houston Lighting and Power, METRO, the Texas Medical Center and the Greater Houston Partnership among others.

After the regents' meeting, Cater, his grey eyes twinkling behind his brown framed glasses, said, "It's a great honor. I'm extremely pleased, especially after having worked with these regents."

Cater pulled out a sheet of paper which he had filled with personal objectives for the upcoming year he had jotted down after the announcement.

"My number one goal is to achieve the funding goal in our partnership campaign. There are so many more (contributors) to be contacted to tell our story. We need to continue to embrace community leaders who can help and bring as many of these people as possible into our family," Cater said.

During the meeting, it was announced that the 18-month long Creative Partnerships campaign was almost halfway to its fundraising goal. The campaign now has $142 million in its coffers, toward its working goal of $350 million.

Currently working to cultivate major donor prospects, part of its Leadership Gifts Phase, the system plans to publicly announce its full monetary objective when it reaches the halfway mark this spring. Out of the UH Systems' four universities, UH will receive about $263 million of these funds, system spokesman Rich Levy said.

Cater aggressively voiced the merits of the UH System to legislators in Austin and played a crucial role to stymie State Comptroller John Sharp's higher education cuts.

"We were all disappointed in the legislative outcome but we achieved a unanimity in the way we went about it. We had some strong support and I feel the system came out relatively well considering the funding restraints," Cater said.

Chair of UH's Legislative Relations Committee Harrell Rodgers said UH gained 9 percent over FY 91's $140 million budget. However, funding fell 3.2 percent of what was needed for UH's current services budget -- mostly comprised of enrollment increases.

Some of UH's special items not only maintained funding but increased: The Texas Center for Superconductivity at UH came from $4.5 million to $6 million; The Energy Laboratory increased one percent to $323,000; the new Health Law and Policy Institute received $150,000 yearly; the new Houston Partnership for Space Exploration, a joint project with UH and UH-Clear Lake, received $300,000 yearly; and Minority Support, a joint project between UH and UH-Downtown increased to $500,000 from $100,000 yearly.

While Texas students can breathe a sigh of relief that their tuition will not be raised this year, next year it will increase to $24 from $20 per credit hour.

Issues still not resolved are faculty and staff raises. There is a contingency rider added that states if Texas Comptroller John Sharp can find some additional money, he can give state employees up to a three percent raise. If these monies are found, UH faculty and staff will be given raises based on merit.

Chuck McDonald, assistant press secretary to Gov. Ann Richards said the needed amount for raises is $500 million and said Sharp questions whether the money is there.

Gov. Richards is expected to announce three new appointments to the UH Board in early September, McDonald said. He confirmed that Metro Board Chairman Anthony Hall is on the list of possible candidates.

Lay said he expects Richards to announce replacements for C.F. Kendall, Xavier Lemond and R.E. Reamer next week.

Lay, chief executive officer of Enron Corp., said he was approached by regents to chair again, but declined. Lay admitted that one of the reasons was the amount of time needed to chair the 1991 Republican National Convention.

Lay tried to persuade his personal friend, U.S. President George Bush to house the Bush library at UH, although the president opted for Texas A&M. As Chairman of the Economic Summit, Lay helped bring the "Thank You Houston" party to UH.

Lemond, praised the achievements of the board he has been a member of for eight years. He especially took pride, he said, in the strides made by minorities and thanked Elwyn Lee, the current interim Vice President for Student Affairs.

His voice shook with emotion as he offered board members his advice.

"Diversity education must play an important part in the changing demographics," Lemond said.

`DOCTOR' DIAGNOSED AS BAD CASE OF

HOLLYWOOD BLAH

BY JOHN GRIFFIN

I started out really trying to give The Doctor a fighting chance. Perhaps I've been just a little harsh on the summer movie crop. Maybe it's not as flimsy as I've made it out to be. Besides, every critic in the continental U.S. has declared this film one of the brightest of the year while simultaneously lauding William Hurt with praise heretofore reserved for congressional medal of honor recipients.

Outstanding. Superb. Stupendous. A triumph. Pick any phrase you've ever seen on a movie ad and I'm sure someone applied it to this picture. So when my roommate suggested we run out and throw down six bucks and absorb so fine an effort, I threw caution to the wind and said, "Hey with press like this, how bad could it really be?"

Let's just say, I'm now convinced that movie critics are little more than paid employees of major studios turning tricks with the mother tongue for fun, hype and profit.

The Doctor, this "feelgood" Hallmark card of movie, is little more than a slickly produced, Muzak-scored vehicle for William Hurt to show off yet another rendition of that quirky, pensive, facial tic riddled guy working through a stoic, gut-wrenching emotional crisis.

What emerges through the sentimental directing and cliche scripting is a carbon copy of his characters in Accidental Tourist and Children of a Lesser God. Not coincidentally, the rest of the movie winds up as predicatable as Hurt's performance.

The basic premise of the story, which was adapted from a real doctor's real life experience, centers around Hurt's character, Jack MacKee, attending surgeon in an overly sterile yet terribly photogenic San Fransico hospital, who blithely goes about his doctoring ways until one day he is diagnosed with malignant throat cancer.

Immediately the tables are turned. Doctor becomes patient and must subsequently endure all the same fear, embarrassment and general crap his legions of patients have put up with for the last 11 years.

It hardly takes the brain of a surgeon to figure out what's coming down the road from there.

Every contrived medical circumstance that can be thought of is beaten senseless throughout the narrative. MacKee must deal with filling out forms, waiting in line, riding through the hospital in a wheelchair, getting vague information about his condition and being dealt with in a condescending manner.

Supposedly, we are witnessing the poignant transformation of a cold and overly clinical surgeon whose epiphany comes in moments of outrageous frustration dished out by his colleagues and his profession.

To aid this meaningful process, MacKee runs across June, a fellow radiation patient suffering from a grade four brain tumor, played by Elizabeth Perkins.

What starts out as a potentially enlightening relationship ultimately lands flat, echoing the thread of sappy boorishness which unifies the film.

June's wisdom is pedestrian, her effect on Hurt's character minimal, save for her death, and, in attempting to wring buckets of tears out of the audience, she comes off as laughable.

As unimaginative as Perkin's character is, Hurt's MacKee is even more unbelievable. The guy doesn't seem all that bad to begin with. His bedside manner can hardly be described as mundane and it appears he genuinely enjoys what he does (the scenes in the operating room where the staff sings in surgery are probably the only believable ones in the movie). Even his relationship with his wife Anna looks pretty strong in the beginning.

Needless to say, like all the portrayals in The Doctor, a grossly overdrawn change occurs with the characters with precious little to explain it.

In other films, this point would be possible to overlook. However, in a film based entirely around the psychological metamorphoses of its cast, it cannot be ignored.

Rather than make an effort at fleshing out some plausible connections, the narrative is zipped along at a breakneck pace to its obvious, heavy-handed, crowd-pleasing conclusion.

Hardly a triumph.

But it is the kind of film which plays on the easily identifiable emotional fields of sympathy and sentiment and requires little more from the viewer than a few living brain cells and a tear at the appropriate juncture.

If this were an isolated film, it could be dismissed as a tiny little blemish on Hollywood's record. Unfortunately it represents yet another festering sore on an already pockmarked face. The easy sell sells best and corporate heads are rarely willing to gamble with profits. Here they have landed a sure thing, banking on the star power of Hurt and an audience particiation theme.

Hurt himself is not without guilt in this scenario either. He is a very talented actor capable of tackling dificult roles, yet this performance shows a lack of vision and an unwillingness to challenge himself artistically.

Do yourself a favor and wait for this to hit the dollar theaters if you just have to see it. Or try breaking the mass consumption cycle and quit frequenting big budget releases. Chances are, you could probably do as well on your own or at least have as much fun trying.

LEWIS RECLAIMS 100-METER TITLE

BY MIGUEL ZEPEDA

Just when the world of track and field thought Carl Lewis had been dethroned by former UH track star Leroy Burrell, as the fastest human on earth, along came the World Track & Field Championships.

Lewis silenced any doubters in Tokyo, Japan over the weekend by running the fastest 100-meter race in history. He posted a time of 9.86, topping Burrell's record time by .04 seconds.

The race had the fastest field in history. Six runners clocked 9.96 or better.

Lewis, who at age 30 continues to add to his track legacy, said the race had history written all over it.

"It was the most incredible race of all time and the great thing was the old man was able to pull it out," Lewis said.

Burrell broke his own personal best with a time of 9.88.

SYSTEM CAN'T LOCATE $5 MILLION IN EQUIPMENT

BY CHRIS PAYNE

More than $5 million of lost, missing and stolen capital equipment was

reported by the UH System's Property Management Department for fiscal year 1990.

Equipment is deemed capital when it costs more than $500.

According to a 100 percent physical inventory check administered by Property Management during FY '90, two categories of equipment were identified as unreconciled: items tagged as UH property that could not be located; and items located that were not on the tagged inventory list.

In a November 1, 1990 report to the State Purchasing and General Services Commission, the first group totaled $5,141,547.16 in missing assets.

Efforts on the part of Ron Headley, head of Property Mangement, and his staff have resulted in the identification of $901,443.27 of this missing property during 1991, adjusting the total of unaccounted inventory to $4,240,103.89.

In July 1991, Property Management, which has received less than enthusiastic reports from state auditors during past years, hired a private firm, Strategis Asset Valuation and Management, to identify discovered inventory that was not on the university's tagged inventory list.

Strategis' findings amounted to $4,405,822, Linda Bright, associate vice chancellor for financial affairs, said.

Property Management has since requested the State Auditor's Office to add this $4.4 million of discovered inventory for a net increase in fixed assets of $165,718.11.

State auditors arrived early Monday to begin their annual audit of the university's physical inventory.

Headley, who had his work cut out for him when he arrived in 1989 to bring order to a Property Management Department that had been riddled with inefficiency, said UH is not alone among state universities with inventory problems.

"I went to a conference in December and when I came back I was enthusiastic to know we were not alone in our problems," Headley said. "Other universities have problems identical to what we are facing."

Since Headley's arrival, great gains have been made to reconcile records and install orderly procedure in keeping tabs on the university's inventory, Bright said.

"Ron has done a super job," she said.

When asked if UH's colossal inventory problems reflect poorly on management, Bright said, "In our case, I think so."

She added, however, that the recent efforts of Headley and the work done by the Strategis firm have resulted in the university not having an inventory loss.

"I think we had a management problem in the past and we've addressed it," Bright said.

Vice Chancellor of Administration and Finance Edward Whalen said, "I think there are no excuses for inadequate management, so we're always looking for ways to do the job better. We should always examine what we are doing."

As part of the new administrative guidelines regarding inventory, responsibility for equipment has been transferred to university department heads, Bright said, requiring a complete inventory at the end of each fiscal year from each head. Property Management then conducts a 25 percent inventory of each department, she said.

A new computerized system has been installed to provide management reporting, the status of inventory additions and the reconciliation of accounting records, Bright said.

PARKING AND TRANSPORTATION SEIGED BY PHONES

If you haven't received your parking decal, don't panic -- they were mailed Monday.

Students worried that there cars would be towed have placed numerous calls to Parking and Transportation wondering why they haven't been mailed their parking decals, Manager of Parking and Transportation Gerald Hagan said.

Due to the onslaught of calls, a message was placed on Parking and Transportations answering machine explaining the problem, he said.

"We're mailing about 11,500 parking decals to students who priority registered this morning," Hagan said.

Students who went through regular registration picked up their decals when they registered. Only the students who priority registration have yet to receive them -- a glitch in the new computer system, he said.

Sara Genrich, a senior in marketing, said she and her husband became very concerned when their decal never arrived.

"We called several friends to find out whether they had gotten their decals. All of them said no and they were equally concerned. I'm worried they will tow my car and it's not even my fault," she said.

Hagan said non-decaled cars are always given a two week grace period. The police department will not begin ticketing non-decaled, legally parked cars until Sept. 9.

If students have not received their decals by late next week, they need to bring their fee bill to room 1 in E. Cullen and a new decal will be issue to them, he said.

"Students need to come in on Friday, Sept. 6 at the latest," Hagan said. "The following Monday, non-decaled cars will be ticketed."

SOLID DEFENSE TO COMPLIMENT JENKINS'

AIR FORCE; ROUND OUT COUGARS'ATTACK

BY RANDY BAZAN

Last year the Cougars disproved the old adage that defense wins football games.

Houston's defense was young, inexperienced, banged up and woefully thin. It gave up a whopping 27.5 points per game, but the team still finished 10-1, thanks largely to the Cougars' high powered offense.

The offense will again be potent, with quarterback David Klingler at the controls and a whole slew of speedy receivers ready to create organized chaos on the football field.

But unlike last year, the defense is expected to be a much improved unit -- a key element to winning a

national championship. The six freshmen who played regularly last season are this year's veteran sophomores.

"It was a young bunch, there were a lot of yards given up last year," Head Coach John Jenkins said. "I think we've got an element of surprise to come shooting out of the tunnel with on Aug. 31.

"They're still young, but they're experienced. And they experienced the right type of thing last year, and that was winning week-in and week-out," Jenkins said.

With all the young talent, and the addition of several impact transfer students, Jenkins also sees the depth problem as improved.

"We have more depth on defense since I've been here at Houston," he said.

First-year defensive coordinator Ben Hurt along with new linebackers coach Melvin Robertson has revived the 1960s UH tradition of the attacking "Mad Dog" defense.

"We will play an attacking, aggressive type of defense," Jenkins said. "We're not going to sit back and absorb people in our laps."

The strength of the defense is the linebackers. It is perhaps the best overall corps in the Southwest Conference.

Leading the way are junior Eric Blount and sophomore Ryan McCoy. Both finished one and two respectively on the team in tackles last season.

Joining them this year is junior LSU transfer Nigel Ventress who, like Blount and McCoy, was a freshman All-American.

At nickel back, Tyrone Davis and Lorenzo Dickson will split time. With the increase in passing offenses in the SWC, Jenkins said the nickel back is the one spot on defense that has to be extremely versatile and exceptional.

On the defensive line, Jenkins is expecting good things from defensive ends Glenn Cadrez and Allen Aldridge. Cadrez, a senior was coming into his own last season before he was sidelined with a knee injury against Texas A&M. Aldridge was a part-time starter last season.

The tackle spots will be manned by James Bevil and Jason Youngblood. Backing them up will be sophomore Linton Weatherspoon and juco transfer Sam Faaita.

In the secondary, Jenkins said he has three top-quality cornerbacks in Jerry Parks, who led the country in interceptions last season, Steve Harris, who transferred from Navarro Junior College and John Brown.

At strong safety, senior Kenny Perry returns after breaking his foot against Arkansas last year and, at free safety, the Cougars will use Darren Woods, Zach Chatman and 24-year-old freshman Kevin Batiste. Batiste should feel right at home at free safety, having played center field in the Toronto Blue Jays organization for about five years.

The Cougars will find out quickly how good its defense is. They face three bowl teams from last year in their first three games, with the biggest test coming Sept. 12 at Miami.

FREE RIDES - HOW TO GET HIGH

WITHOUT DRUGS

BY LARA SCHULTZ

That Humanity at large will ever be able to dispense with Artificial Paradises seems very unlikely. Most men and women lead lives at the worst so painful, at the best so monotonous, poor and limited that the urge to escape, the longing to transcend themselves if only for a few moments, is and has always been one of the principal appetites of the soul.

-Aldous Huxley

The Doors of Perception

Huxley's treatise on his observations during an altered state of consciousness while intoxicated by mescalin, the active principle of peyote, was written in 1954. At the time, the psychological material on mescalin was still "absurbly inadequate," so Huxley volunteered as a guinea pig in an effort to catalogue some of the drug's more striking effects and satiate his appetite for a little color in his inner world.

The search for mind-expanding techniques that release us from our drab world continues today.

Even in the '90s pervasively retentive society, not so different from the '50s when Huxley wrote these words, people continue to seek self-transcendence through various means.

Gross volumes of self-help books top the bestseller lists, individuals donate their life savings to far-out ministries and modern day incarnations of Orpheus disgest huge quantities of chemicals to modify their conscious.

What a pity, what a waste.

Non-chemical highs are almost invariably more enjoyable, longer lasting and of greater benefit to one's quality of life, say Douglas Rushkoff and Patrick Wells, authors of the soon to be released book Free Rides: How to Get High Without Drugs.

Techniques discussed in the book result in various forms of highs. The authors point out that what is important when sampling the listed methods is that the technique itself is not the high -- "it's merely opening up a channel to your innate ability to expand your consciousness... You already know how to get high. You've simply allowed your mind to convince you that you forgot."

The book's promoters claim this is the first-ever survey of the techniques available to expand one's consciousness through healthy, constructive and legal methods. Nancy "Just Say No" Reagan would thoroughly approve of this addition to any teenager's library.

"To write Free Rides, I had to sift through more crap than one might imagine is out there," Rushkoff, a political editor of Expose magazine, said. "I floated, put on goggles, stared at television screens and tried some pretty dangerous things, too. For every 10 con artists, there is one truly dedicated, spiritual person, hoping to design a significant method of exploring human experience."

The techniques range from the cheap and relatively easy -- rhythmic breathing, aerobics or tantric sex -- to the more expensive and daring -- electromagnetic stimulation, "brain machines" and skydiving.

Some of the more wayout methods of attaining a lasting high include the Sufi-developed Whirling Dervish dances, which should only be tried under the supervision of a trained Sufi master. The hypnotic spinning of the Whirling Dervishes leaves the dancer "feeling like a pure channel of energy -- almost like a tornado: spinning and frictionless, formless, except as an interface between two different fields of psychic pressure."

The authors offer only brief sketches for each of the methods included in the book, but have included plenty of addresses and "suggested readings" so you can follow up on any of the techniques that strike a nerve.

So do as the authors suggest: buy the book, have fun, laugh at life and don't be stupid.

Free Rides: How to Get High Without Drugs

Douglas Rushkoff and Patrick Wells

A Delta Book

$8