RESIDENCE HALLS FULL, STUDENTS AWAIT MOVE

BY MICHAEL HINES

Every semester it happens-a handful of unlucky students spend their free time waiting and hoping for a vacancy so they can move into a private room in the residence halls.

But for the time being, these overflow housing students have to settle for the lounges that are located on floors tow through 14 of the 17-story Moody Towers Building.

About 50 studentd currently live in the lounges, which are located on both the north and south tower. Sometimes as many as four students share one lounge.

Cliff McBean is one of the unfortunate students who must do with temporary housing.

"They said it would take a couple of weeks to find me a room," he said. "I hope to find me a room as soon as possible so I can have some privacy."

McBean, who lived in Cambridge Oaks Apartments last semester, said he was unhappy with the process of distributing rooms.

"I'm an upper classman, so I should have gotten a room," McBean said. "I'll say anything to get a room."

For the time being, McBean is making do with sharing a floor lounge with only one other student. But for thejunior majoring in biology, times are about to change.

"There's a lot of space because there's only two of us in the room right now," he said. "But they're about to move two others in with us."

"It's alright because we have cable. But sometimes people just walk in, sit down and start watching television," he said. "They don't realize that it's a private room."

McBean, who's sleeping on a bed in the 10th-floor lounge of the South Tower, also said he did not like living out of a suitcase.

"You can't unpack because you're not sure when they're going to move you out," he said. "I have to iron my clothes every morning because we don't have any closets."

Eric Thiergood is one of the fortunate ones who got a room. He believes he was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

"I checked in after (McBean) and I still got a room," he said. "I don't know why. My contract said overflow housing too.

"I was late to check in too. The last day to check in was Friday and I checked in Sunday. She said room ... and I said ok. I was happy to have a room," Thiergood said.

Senate speaker Lee Grooms, who lives in Cougar Place, said the problem was probably due to housing's new operating procedures. Grooms said the residence halls now allocate rooms on a first-come, first-serve basis.

McBean said he was a first-come student, but he realized that he was not given a space because he did not have a contract.

Terry Bridges, the Tower's area coordinator, said getting a room if you don't have a contract is a complicated procedure. The first step is to verify the no-shows, doublechecking with administrators and registrars to make sure the students aren't there, Bridges said.

Once those verifications are made, the unfilled rooms can be released, a process that is going on now, Bridges said.

"As we speak, they're typing up transfer papers to move students into rooms," Bridges said.

Bridges said he was unable to verify the number of students living in Moody Tower lounges at this time.

Jackie Mitchell, an assistant director of housing, said UH housing has 2,341 spaces available for on-campus living, and this includes spaces for staff who live on campus.

Mitchell said the overflow comes from the students that apply after the deadline.

"We offer these students temporary space as a service to these students," she said. "When spaces become available because of cancellations or withdrawals, we move these students into these spaces. We usually operate at 97 to 98 percent occupancy."

Mitchell vowed that every student will eventually find a place to stay, but for the time being, students like McBean will have to make due with the lounge situation.

"I think the price should at least be reduced," McBean said. "I payed $1,127.50 for a double room and I haven't received a double room. I don't think we should have to pay that much."

*******************************************************

LAW PROF: ABORTION RULING IMPERILS

FREE-SPEECH RIGHTS

BY DAI HUYNH

The recent Supreme Court ruling barring all discussion of abortion in federally funded clinics is an infringement on free speech and a poor decision, UH officials said.

The ruling, Rust vs. Sullivan, violates doctors' free-speech rights, law professor Irene Rosenberg said.

"Although the court says that they are not violating free-speech rights, I don't see how that is possible,"she said.

The court is prohibiting doctors from discussing a medical matter with their patients, she said.

Physicians may face a future lawsuits for not fulfilling their responsibilities, Rosenberg said.

Part of a doctor's duty is to discuss all the alternatives available to their patients. Therefore, legal problems may arise when a patient with a disease that can only be cured through termination remain uninformed, paving the way for a malpractice suit, she said.

This is not a dead issue, there are cases weaving their way up the court's ladder and will probably be addressed by the U.S. Supreme Court next year, she said.

"The court's decision is another infringement on women rights to privacy," Rosenberg said.

It is inconsistent with Roe vs. Wade, which permitted abortion based on women's fundamental right to privacy and choice, she said.

This ruling is a prelude to later decisions that might further infringe on women's rights to abortion, Rosenberg said.

It is likely that even without Clarence Thomas' confirmation to the nation's highest court, they have enough votes to overrule Roe vs. Wade, she said. Eventually, it will be left to the states to decide if abortion is permissible, Rosenberg said.

The UH Health Center will remain unaffected by the court's ruling, Health Center Director Billie Jean Smith said.

The clinic is fortunate to be self-sufficient and will continue to pass out literature on abortion because it receives no federal assistance, she said. The center's monetary resources are derived from the mandatory student health fee and charges for services rendered.

This ruling limits what physicians have to offer to their patients, which makes little sense, Smith said.

In the patients' best interest, it is necessary to expose them to all the possible options available, she said.

"It's sad because the clientele of federally funded clinics are the ones who have no resources to go outside to a private doctor or practice. So they don't know what is available or where they can go for services such as termination," Smith said.

In a sense, it is a discrimination against the poor, she said.

DISABLED STUDENTS NEED SOME QUICK CASH TOO

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

Some students fear they may not be able to take advantage automatic- teller machines Enterprise Bank plans to conveniently install around campus.

Cathy McCelland, president of the Handicapped Student Advisory Board, said she's afraid the new ATMs won't be accessible to students who are wheelchair bound.

"They're planning to put ATMs on campus that people in wheelchairs can't use, and they're planning to tear out the one's they have in there now that are handicapped accessible," McClelland, a senior majoring in english education, said.

Karen Waldman, coordinator of Handicapped Student Services, said the machiens must comply with a new federal act. The Americans With Disabilities Act specifies that public services must be handicapped accessible by January 1992. "I just found out about the new campus ATMs today and I haven't had time to find out who's in charge of the machines," Waldman said. "But they (the machines) will definitely have to change."

The act further specifies that no grandfather exceptions will be made.

Dede Henning, operations manager for the new Enterprise branch on campus, said the first ATM will come on line Monday in the University Center. She admits that the new ATM is not handicapped accessible at this time.

"To be completely honest, the first machine we have out there is not( handicapped accessible) because the screen is tilted in such a way that someone in a wheelchair couldn't see it," Henning said, "But we are planning to have that fixed."

Henning said her firm is aware the new act, and that ATM machines they install in the future will comply.

"Right now it's a matter of the company who manufactures all the Impact equipment, D-Bolt, to change the way they make their machines. They have to comply with the act also," she said.

Henning said the bank branch will feature a check-cashing counter for the handicapped and an automatic door opener.

"We've only been here three days, and we're still getting feedback and ideas on what the students want."

STUDENT VIDEO CHAMP GOES TO DISNEY WORLD

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

Goofing off sometimes has definite advantages. Ask Duane Olenius. Olenius, a junior, took a small detour from studying and wound up as Mankato State University's winner in the Nintendo Campus Challenge currently criss-crossing the country.

Now he's headed for Disney World this January with a shot at a new car and scholarship money ranging from $1,000 to $2,500.

His combined scores on Super Mario Bros. 3, Dr. Mario, and Pinbot topped those of 2,000 challengers and won him the trip to the finals in Orlando, Fla.

"I didn't even know they had things like this," Olenius said. "I play video games a couple times a week. (The Challenge) was on campus. I walked by, and my brother was there, he said, `Hey, come try this.' I outdid myself by a lot."

Like by a million points or so. He hit 1.8 million to win the title.

In the finals, Olenius had to face off against brother Dave, 21, and four other challengers. Duane beat his big brother and the others to win the overall mens' title. "I'm getting a little mileage out of that," he says.

That left one challenger, 19-year-old Kim Sandmeyer, who won the womens' championship. Olenius, 20, and Sandmeyer squared off and he won by a few thousand points.

No big deal. It's just that she happens to be dating Olenius.

"When he a I were the only ones left, I said, `Well, yeah, one of us is going to Disney World." Was she trying to give Olenius a hint? "Yep," Sandmeyer sighs.

Olenius admits the win hurt his love life a little, but that's part of the price.

"No slack for anyone," he declares. "I'll be ready come January."

The challenge toured campuses in the West last spring, while colleges in the East are participating this fall. Any student with a valid I.D. from the college where the Campus Challenge is being held can take part.

IF YOU HURRY, YOU CAN STILL CATCH THIS ACT

BY SALLY POUNCY

"You know what is better than money? Other people's money!" wrote playwright Jerry Sterner in his satire of the 1980s,

Other People's Money.

Theater buffs will be happy to know that the Alley Theater has revived this production for a two-week stint on the Neuhaus Arena Stage.

Set in the heyday of the yuppie generation, the play centers around the life of corporate raider, Laurence Garfinkel (a.k.a. Larry the Liquidator).

Garfinkel buys companies then dismantles them to sell off the assets for profit. His most recent target is New England Wire and Cable.

Andrew Jorgenson is the old-fashioned owner of Garfinkel's intended conquest who is slow to react to the hostile takeover until almost too late.

Enter Kate Sullivan, the fiesty, female lawyer who goes head-to-head with Garfinkel in the battle for New England Wire and Cable.

Cast members glide through the two-hour-and-10-minute production with practiced ease. Actors James Black and Bettye Fitzpatrick shine as Garfinkel and Sullivan. They create such irresistable rapport between the two characters, so that even when they have no lines the theater erupts with laughter.

Director Michael Wilson uses two projectors that display titles throughout the play to create a cinematic effect. In his production, more things than just jokes fly around the theater. Doughnuts reel across stage as frequently as the actors.

Souvenir voting ballots are given to the audience for the stockholders meeting scene. The audience is asked to vote for their desired candidate for president of New England Wire and Cable. Unfortunately, votes are not cast until after the production, and the rustle of paper in the scene becomes annoying.

The stage is set up to encompass the offices of Jorgenson and Garfinkel. An old-fashioned microphone stands alone in a mock-up of a vaudeville stage for the characters to bare their souls. On the floor of the theater, white phrases about money and the '80s are painted over black.

Other People's Money runs from now through Sept. 13 at the Alley Theater. For more information, call 228-8421.

JV CHEERLEADER TRYOUT DEADLINE SET FOR TODAY

BY MARGARET HUSER

An enthusiastic attitude along with strong interpersonal skills will give this semester's junior varsity cheerleading candidates an edge over their rivals.

The selection process began yesterday, and performance tryouts will take place Tuesday, Sept. 9 in Hofheinz Pavillion.

Individual candidates, many late for their interviews, slowly trickled in to their appointments with the judges from the university spirit board.

Mark Kuhlmann, UH intramurals and recreation coordinator, said he would like the newly chosen cheerleaders to use their personalities to motivate the crowd to cheer. Kulman is a tryout judge for the spirit board.

"I look for enthusiasm. To me, this is the most important quality. I put less importance on technique," Kuhlmann said.

He estimates there will be 30 students trying out for the junior varsity squad this semester.

At yesterday's interviews, cheerleading candidates took their first steps toward becoming UH cheerleaders. Interviews consisted of a series of questions about the university and cheerleading experience.

Most of the male and female candidates were pleased with their interviews.

"The interview went fine, it was fun," Kathry Lilie said.

Varsity cheerleader Gracie Garcia, a junior majoring in business, revealed some of the pressures associated with cheerleading. She said leading cheers involves a lot of work, commitment and sacrifice.

Many cheerleading candidates said they were ready to take on the challenge.

Shawn Catron works 15 hours a week and carries a full load academically. She feels she will be able to handle the pressure of school, work and cheering, as long as she uses her time effectively.

"Personally, I have been able to balance things well. It is basically time management," Catron said.

The junior varsity squad has six each of men and women, and alternates of each.

Influential judge and coach of the UH cheerleading squads Greg Hicks said he is looking for multifaceted individuals.

"I am looking for cheerleaders with good interpersonal skills. Those {individuals} that are well rounded in the area of cheerleading motions, stunts, gymnastics, jumps and dances," Hicks said.

Hicks was the UH mascot from 1981 to 1984.

Men trying out for positions on the JV team will not be required to perform intricate dance routines. Rather, judges will look to see how they interact with their partners during routines.

Students must be currently enrolled at the UH central campus carrying a minimum of nine hours and have at least a 2.0 grade point average to be eligible for tryouts.

Other requirements include knowledge or experience with cheerleader motions and dual stunting which includes a series of lifts.

UC TO HOUSE CONVENIENT CAMPUS ENTERPRISE BANK

BY TODD DUPLANTIS

UH students now have an opportunity to own a unique student checking account and speed up the processing of student loans with the help of an on-campus bank.

On Tuesday, Enterprise Bank opened a full-service lobby at the University Center. The bank will deal with just students, faculty and staff, Vice President Ben Carter said.

The bank, which has about 1,000 student accounts, offers a unique "Cougar Account" that can be opened with an initial deposit of $50 and charges a $3 monthly service charge. It requires no minimum balance and offers unlimited check-writing privileges and a free automatic teller machine card.

Other banks such as North Carolina National Bank and First Interstate offer a free ATM card and have a competitive monthly service charge; however, they do require a higher initial deposit and do not provide free unlimited checking with their basic accounts.

The hassles and time frames of processing a student loan may also be cut with the addition of the new bank location, Carter said.

"The don't even have to leave the campus," he said. "If students bring in the form to us, we'll fund it and deliver it to the student aid office. Once that form is over here, we'll fund it. It takes about five days."

Carter said the university has wanted an on-campus bank for years and requested proposals for the project last fall. After receiving approval early last month, bank officials moved quickly to complete the lobby, Carter said.

"We received approval from the state three weeks ago," he said.

Originally, the bank was to build a mini-lobby at the main level of the UC, but the bank felt it would be more efficient to offer a full-service lobby as well as two ATM machines, which are located in the bank and the main level.

The bank lobby is located on the second floor of the UC, near the Art Gallery. The ATMs are located in the bank lobby and near the bookstore on the first floor.

Carter said the university is not directly benefitting from the bank. He said there is no profit-sharing or other interests involved. The bank is simply leasing space on campus, much like the copy center or the university book store.

Stephanie Malone, a senior drama and English major, said the new location will make banking easier for her.

"It would be more convenient for check cashing and stuff like that," she said.

SENIOR FINANCE POSITION DOWN TO FINAL CUT

Out of 125 original candidates, four men have made the final cut for the UH central campus' senior vice president of administration and finance.

Sharon Richardson, who formerly held the position, resigned last December. She was re-appointed to vice president for operations and management.

Currently, Deputy to the President Thomas Jones is serving as interim senior vice president for administration and finance.

Jones replaced interim Robert Kerley, who left the university earlier than anticipated.

Barnett will finish negotiations and make an offer to one of the four men within two weeks, Eric Miller, director of Media Relations, said.

Barnett narrowed the list to five, but when it came time for the candidates to visit the campus, one didn't show, said search committee chairman Hugh Walker.

The candidates are:

Stanley Kardonsky, 48, currently the vice president for administration and a chemistry professor at San Francisco State University. He received a master's in chemistry from the University of Florida in 1964 and his doctorate of physical/nuclear chemistry from City University of New York in 1970.

George A. "Jay" Hartford Jr., 52, is the vice president for business and finance at Washington State University. He received his master's in civil engineering from the University of Michigan in 1966; Hartford has also completed 36 hours toward his doctorate.

R. W. "Pete" Denton, 47, is the executive vice president for business and finance at the University of South Carolina System. He received his master's of business administration from the University of South Carolina in 1967; master's of accountanting degree from the University of South Carolina in 1973; doctorate in education from the University of South Carolina in 1980.

Warren R. Madden, 52, is the vice president for business and finance at Iowa State University of Science and Technology. He received his master's of business administration from the University of Chicago in 1965 and has done additional graduate work in engineering toward a doctorate at Iowa State University.

All four will be meeting with Barnett in the next two weeks, Walker said.

IFC MEMBERS: ANIMAL HOUSE BEHAVIOR NOT

HAPPENING TODAY

BY JIM MOSELY

In the face of recent headlines, UH fraternities are trying to maintain a good image of cooperation between the Interfraternity Council and the administration.

The council is working with UH officials to maintain a strict standard of behavior, said E. Ty Thomas, council president. UH administrators have given the council a free hand to police its members.

Some fraternity members believe the organizations have a bad reputation because people only hear about their problems.

"People have the wrong attitude about fraternities," said Allen Ray, Delta Sigma regional representative. "People always assume the worst whenever any news comes on about a fraternity. A fraternity could raise $10,000 for any charity and people would still be suspicious."

Whenever there is trouble at a fraternity party, it is almost always caused by an outsider, said Michael Jones, a UH sophmore and a member of the Sigma Epsilon fraternity.

"The Sig Eps avoid trouble at their parties by sending out invitations and checking I.D.s at the door," he said. "We also hire off-duty police officers to keep the peace at our parties."

Outrageous behavior has been toned down because of the Fraternity Insurance Purchasing Group's Risk Management Policy, a liability insurance coverage.

"This policy will not cover any accidents if anything risky was going on at the function," Ray said. "Risky behavior is anything considered to be hazardous, like hazing. Drug, alcohol and sexual abuse will also cause a chapter to lose its insurance protection.

"In Arizona last year, some students drove home drunk from a fraternity party and died," Ray said. "Their parents sued the university and the chapter. Since there was an excess of alcohol consumed at the party, their insurance would not cover them in the suit. So the chapter's officers graduated with a $50,000 debt."

Dry-rush parties or becoming the rule and not the exception in the Southeast, Ray said.

"I work with fraternities from Flordia to Texas and on every campus I visited there is no alcohol at rush parties," Ray said. "The main reason for the dry parties is the insurance restrictions."

In other matters, the council is considering sanctions against Sigma Nu fraternity for an alleged impropriety members refused to comment on.

"The council is not making any comments at this time," said Donald Schaper, council vice president. "We have not made a decision in this matter."

RECORD NUMBERS GO THROUGH UC ADD-DROP

BY ANTON P. MONTANO

They weren't standing in line for free vacation packages to Miami for the big game, but nearly half of the UH population went through the University Center doors three days last week.

An estimated 15,000 students stood in line for add-drop Aug. 26-28 at the UC, Mario Lucchesi, director of Registration and Academic Records, said at Wednesday's meeting of the Undergraduate Council.

About 4,500 students attended add-drop on Monday and Tuesday. And a high of almost 6,000 students went through the process Wednesday, Lucchesi said.

"We were right at 6,000," Lucchesi said. "That's probably the highest number we've ever had in one day in my recollection."

The arena system of conducting add-drop at the UC is designed to accommodate up to 5,000 students a day at 500 students per hour, Lucchesi said.

"We have a schedule set up to reduce wait time, not to increase it," Lucchesi said. "Problems arise, however, when everyone has to come to a central site."

Future telephone registration capability might alleviate current congestion during add-drop, Lucchesi said.

"The ideal way would be to have a decentralized or voice-response system," he said.

Some students at add-drop have cheated in order to be admitted into certain classes, Lucchesi said.

"It pops up, especially in the somewhat concentrated high-demand courses like math and English," he said. "The add-drop process can be abused in the arena kind of setup."

Lucchesi said students might cheat in teams. One student will drop a course, in which he is not enrolled, and another student will get added to the course.

"We're working with the colleges to correct this," Lucchesi said. "Once the add-drop forms are processed, our edits can ask why people were dropping classes that they weren't enrolled in to begin with."

He said the colleges would determine what to do with students who cheat at add-drop after Registration and Academic Records had notified them.

Lucchesi said 8,300 priority registration students went through priority add-drop for the fall semester during the summer.

Nearly 3,800 students had to go to late and extended registration, Lucchesi said.

UHPD POSTS CRIME STATS TO COMPLY

WITH NEW BILL

BY CHRISTOPHER KIMBLE

UH is now providing information about crime on campus as part of new federal law that took effect Sunday.

Under the new law, all U.S. campuses must provide statistical information about campus crime to prospective students and parents as well as current students, staff and faculty.

The most common crime committed at UH is theft of personal property, according to statistics provided by UHPD. Of the 600 crimes reported to UHPD in 1990, 553 were thefts.

"In most cases the property was unsecured or unattended," said Cpl. Derrick McClinton, UHPD crime prevention coordinator.

He recommended engraving personal items like stereo equipment, phones, answering machines, bicycles and expensive equipment that could be sold at a pawn shop or liquidated for cash.

He said a driver's license number, rather than a social security number, facilitates the return of recovered property. Bicycles should be secured with a U-type lock instead of chain which can be cut with bolt cutters.

Another popular item on a campus thief's shopping list is the automobile.

In the last two and a half years, more than 141 cars were reported stolen from UH parking lots.

McClinton said most car thieves carry only a screwdriver to pry open a window, dissassemble or break the plastic around the steering column, start the car and drive away.

He showed The Daily Cougar several car locks, including two that attach to the steering wheel and one that actually locks over the steering column. These range in price from $50 to $100.

"If someone wants it (property) bad enough, they'll get it," he said.

UHPD Asst. Chief Frank Cempa said,"Eighty percent of the crimes are committed by visitors or people not affiliated with the university. Our students are not the great proportion of arrests."

"The area crime does affect the campus," Cempa said. "Both HPD and UH share a common criminal element which is displaced into each others' jurisdiction. We are a city within a city, and some of that criminal element spills over into our jurisdiction."

About 15 percent of crimes reported to UHPD are committed by students, and the remaining 5 percent by UH employees.

The good news is robbery (including aggravated) and burglary rates remain low while more serious crimes such as homicide, sexual assault and arson are nonexistent over a the two-and-a-half-year period ending July '91.

UHPD is currently providing crime statistics to prospective students, staff and faculty upon request. Plus there is an array of crime prevention pamphlets available in the Moody Towers, the Quadrangle residence halls and the library.

This week has been designated as National Campus Crime and Awareness Week, established by Congress in the Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act passed last year.

A crime prevention booth, with booklets and information will be set up in the University Center Tuesday, Sept. 17, and a seminar is scheduled for the following day at the Cambridge Oaks Apartment.

"For next fall we are printing up a handout for UH students and employees with crime stats and crime prevention tips," Cempa said.