BONEY IN TOUCH WITH DISTRICT ISSUES YEAR-ROUND

BY DAVE DAVIS

Jew Don Boney, outspoken civil rights activist and candidate for the District 147 state legislative seat, will be on campus today drumming up support for his campaign.

Boney, 39, will speak before the progressive Student Network at 1 p.m. on Satellite Hill and is expected to address tuition costs, Houston's drug problems and the city's staggering increase in violence in recent months.

Boney is one of 11 candidates running for the legislative position in what the candidates describe as a "cleanly run race." While Boney campaign staffers vow not to sling mud at their opponents, they are claiming the other candidates are only visible in the community during election time.

Harold Sanders, a volunteer for the Boney campaign, said Boney is the only candidate who is committed to issues concerning the working class throughout the year.

"If any candidate, other than Boney, wins the election, we will have a representative with no experience, and one who has not been active or visible in the low income communities," Sanders said. "Boney was the only candidate visible on Labor Day in the downtown march for the unemployed and the homeless."

Boney was the only candidate who was given an invitation to attend the Channel 13 Town Meeting on Crime which aired three weeks ago.

He used the format to publicize his suggestions on how to deal with Houston's crime problems, which included a greater emphasis on education at the city and state level.

Boney received substantial publicity from his involvement

with the Byron Gillam and Ida Lee Delaney cases of police brutality against the Houston Police Department.

"I think that many of the people who are involved in the media and are involved in the community are aware that I have been involved in issues and have something to say in terms of creative ideas and solutions for Houston's problems," Boney said.

With 11 candidates running for the seat of residentially dense District 147, the election is expected to be decided in a run-off.

Boney, who was a supporter of the late State Representative Larry Evans' policies hopes to attract votes from other long-time Evans supporters.

*******************************************************

SYSTEM AWAITS WORD ON MONEY DISPERSAL

The UH System is still puzzled whether the 2 percent state employee raise will affect faculty and staff as an across-the-board raise or the traditional merit raise.

Vice Chancellor for Governmental Relations Grover Campbell said the system is waiting for the Texas Legislative Budgeting Board (LBB) to review the raise for official verification.

The problem arose because of two different riders in the appropriations bill that created the raise. One rider states that employees of higher education should receive merit increases, while another specifies that all state employees may receive a raise up to 3 percent if state Comptroller John Sharp can find the additional money, Campbell said.

Sharp announced last week that an unexpected $257 million was discovered at the end of fiscal year 1991, which he authorized as a 2 percent across-the-board raise for state employees.

But UH System Chancellor Alexander Schilt said last week the system wants the raises to be based on merit, whereby UH employees are evaluated and given pay increases based on meritorious performance.

"Right now, there is some confusion as to exactly how the money is to be distributed, and we're trying to get clarification," Campbell said.

But Sharp's spokesman Andy Welch said there are no conflicts between the two contingency riders.

However, in Section 146 of the first rider, it states if the money is found, all state employees will receive a raise. But in Section 7, Part 4 of the second rider, it states that salary increases for higher education employees shall be awarded on the basis of merit.

"This is not an either-or situation," Welch said. "If the universities want to give an additional raise the article gives them authorization."

The additional money will have to come from within the institution -- on top of the 2 percent across-the-board raise, Welch said.

The LBB will meet this Wednesday, Campbell said, adding the matter will be resolved by the end of the week.

Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock is the chair of the LBB, and his spokesperson Mary Jane Wardlow said, "It's clear in the rider; it will be across-the-board."

In response to the 2 percent pay raise for faculty and staff, Schilt is informing the various system-level campus presidents to look into the possibility of finding additional funds for another raise.

Schilt said he will go ahead and draw up a memo informing the four system presidents to re-examine their budgets for possible untapped funds to be used for another pay increase -- based on merit.

But this exercise is like looking for a needle in a haystack, Schilt said, following the legislative budget cuts incurred by the universities.

"I am not overly optimistic," he said.

UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett said, "I have been looking over the budget for two weeks and I have found no additional money."

UH has received $13 million in state funding for FY '92, a 9.1 percent increase over FY '91, but the amount was 3.2 percent below its current-service expenditures, which adjusts the university's budget over FY '91 for increases in enrollment and inflation.

Barnett said that all of the $13 million is already allocated, except $2.9 million.

Against that $2.9 million, UH needs $1 million of additional computer hardware, software at $750,000, current library journals at $300,000 and $2 million in high-priority deferred maintenance.

Schilt said there is a possibility of the presidents working with individual departments to find additional funds.

It would be up to the presidents, working with their departments to look at doing more with fewer people, thereby freeing funds for additional raises, Schilt said.

However, Barnett said, "When you cannibalize a position you take money from a ranked salary position, and we already have an incredibly high ratio of students to full-time ranked salary professors."

Another option is to use endowment funds to give faculty and staff raises, but Barnett said this money is already earmarked for specific projects.

Often, when an endowment is made the donor specifies where the money will be used, she said.

One exception is the $30 million Cullen Foundation gift that UH announced last fall. Barnett said this money will be used for scholarships.

Texas Faculty Association Director Charles Zucker said Barnett's argument is a familiar one.

"They all say they are saving the money for a rainy day. Well, now it's pouring," Zucker said.

The TFA is asking universities to give faculty an additional 3 percent raise so they can keep up with the cost of living, he said.

"One of the things we're working on is an initiative to urge governing boards to cough up more money," he said.

"Sharp's Texas Performance Review found universities were hoarding excessively large amounts of money in their fund balances," Zucker said.

The Sharp report was shot down by state legislators after it forced universities into action. One thing it recommended, Zucker said, was giving the interest off these earnings to the state.

"The report is evidence that most universities have the ability to dip into their pockets and give faculty increases far above the 2 percent," he said.

The report showed UH has $36 million in endowment income. Sharp recommeded universities should have only 8.9 percent of their operating budget in reserve.

UH has 12.9 percent in its reserve, Zucker said.

Another means of increasing faculty salaries is by using excesss auxiliary-service funds, such as parking, residence halls and student service fees.

Barnett has been using these same funds since she arrived last fall to offset the athletic department's $4.6 million deficit.

Since that time, Barnett has been voiding the Athletic Department's "paper claims: to reach a point where its budget is balanced by 1995.

The athletic deficit is now $2.1 million--with $2.5 million written off.

SAVE FRANK ROSSI. BUY THESE CARDS NOW.

BY SHANE BOYLE

Some of you may have noticed that trading cards have been gaining popularity lately.

They have become so popular you need a scorecard to keep up with all the trading cards. In addition to the traditional sports cards (which now exist in more variety than ever), some of the recent trading card sets you can find include Rocketeer, Widget, Robin Hood, Minnie Mouse, Marvel Superheroes, comic book artists, Daily Cougar staff members and even Desert Storm.

In the midst of this enormous glut, some cards have received less attention than others, and many have become almost completely lost in the shuffle. However, through my many endless minutes of research (and brainstorming) I have discovered some of these virtually unknown trading cards and I would like to share this knowledge. The following are some of the more interesting cards I have come across.

Round Baseball Cards are being distributed by the White Ring Chewing Tobacco Corporation in every can of chewing tobacco they sell. These cards are worth buying, because even if they never become big collector's items, they are still useful as drink coasters.

Another new concept in sports trading cards is a series of College Athletes Trading Cards from Y. Knott Graphics. The Houston Cougars are, of course, the most sought after football cards in this series. In the future, Y. Knott will expand the concept to include other college sports such as volleyball and swimming.

Along the same lines, Voluptuous Productions has released Female Athletes Trading Cards and Cheerleader Trading Cards. According to the company's Demographics Consultant, Finlay Yoakum, "this is the first serious attempt from any sports card maker to appeal to the female consumers, but we think young male consumers will enjoy these as well."

Previously, Voluptuous Productions was only known for its non-sports trading cards such as the Playboy Playmates Trading Cards (complete with all the vital statistics).

This year, they are celebrating their 15th anniversary by inserting life size posters in random packs of Playboy Playmates Trading Cards. Also, in conjunction with Educational Press, they will be releasing Sexual Position Trading Cards. As a conscientious move, they are not putting gum in these card packs because of the effect that sugar has on teeth. Besides, nobody's going to buy these cards for the gum anyway". They will put a condom in every pack instead.

Voluptuous Productions will probably encounter some stiff competition, however, from War Whores Unlimited, one of the many companies that made tons of money from the sale of Desert Storm Trading Cards. The ink is still wet on their new Soviet Coup Trading Cards, and more cards are being released daily as new events unfold in the aftermath of the coup. War Whores Marketing Strategist Keystone Shortkopf said, "We got rich off of Desert Storm, and we did not want to pass up the chance to get richer by being the first to capitalize on the latest big world event. We just wish there could have been more bloodshed in both conflicts, so we could sell even more cards."

Some collectors, however, speculate that the biggest money maker this year will be the Playing Card Trading Cards from Playing Card Trading Cards Are Us (a major manufacturer of thumb tacks), but many others disagree.

"Investing is kind of tricky. Some collectors are paying top dollar for the aces, but most are just treating them like 2's which are not worth as much," said one card shop owner.

Since the market is so difficult to predict, a beginning collector needs a complete set of Trading Card Trading Cards. Every concept that has ever been turned into a trading card has been turned into a Trading Card Trading Card. On the front of each card is a sample card. Information on the back of the card includes the name of the card company, the number of cards in the series, and current guide values for the most popular cards in the series. You can order a complete set directly from Trading Card Trading Cards etc.. Order yours today, and get started in the exciting hobby of card collecting.

DISNEY TOON FEATURES METAFICTIONAL FOWL

BY CHRIS ENGLISH

Smack! Quack! Blam! Pow! ...Quack?Beware persnickety perpetrators of evildoings, it's Darkling Duck to the rescue!

Disney's feathered its nest this fall with Sunday's season premiere of Darkling Duck, TV Land's newest crimefighter.

Targeted for the afternoon block, the enigmatic and often egocentric Darkling Duck strives to quell the criminal elements of the city and get his picture in the papers. Launchpad, the less-than-intrepid pilot from Ducktales, becomes his handy sidekick.

Either they've thawed out old Walt to take over again or Michael Eisner (you know, the guy from marketing) has actually turned out to have a sense of humor after all (I'm more likely to believe the latter), because this one's actually funny.

For one thing, it's returning to that almost metafictional quality of the old Warner Bros. cartoons that John Barth somehow neglected to mention in Countdown Ground Zero, where the cartoon recognized it was merely an animated caricature of reality rather than the real thing.

Sometimes, you'd see the cartoonist's pen at work while the cartoon was in progress. Or the way Bugs Bunny or the Road Runner circumvented the natural laws of physics ("Gee, I never studied Law...").

Also it is socially conscious. When Darkling Duck drops hoodlums off at the police station, he includes a press package including 8'X10' glossies. When he steps out of the police station into an empty street expecting photographers and reporters, flabbergasted he exclaims, "I thought this was the Age of the Media Glut!"

Cartoons, they aren't just for marketing departments anymore. Keep an eye out for the adventures of Darkling Duck in the afternoon. Quick, before the breakfast cereal comes out.

LOCAL BAND HITS RIGHT ON TARGET

BY SALLY POUNCY

Houston band, The Missles can't get no respect.

Or so claims a song off The Missles' third album, Atomic Fireball. I can't get no respect from the Public News, is the song.

Lead vocalist Charlie Sanders said they recorded a grudge song about the local publication because, "They are an alternative newspaper and we were not alternative enough for them." Meaning the paper panned them.

Get on the bad side of The Missles, and you might end up on their next album, either in print or in song. Bill, the drummer, leaves a scathing message in the liner notes to the unknown who stole his drums, while Public News gets a pummeling via verse.

This is definitely a band that knows what it wants and is not afraid to step on some toes to get it.

They have a habit of playing where the pay is.

"We're like the plumber -- we'll go where they pay us," said Sanders.

The Missles have not always gone by that name.

"A long time ago we were The Heat Seeking Moisture Missles, but it wouldn't fit on anything. It was too long," said Sanders. They quickly shortened the name and kept on playing.

Having been around since 1984, a few changes have been made. In addition to the name change, a new band member has recently climbed on stage. Ken Jones is the latest Missle, playing guitar and singing vocals. He is also responsible for the title of the latest album.

"He eats Atomic Fire Ball candies all the time" said Sanders. Presto! an album title.

Sanders describes their music as "Loud, obnoxious, rock!" With influences ranging from Elvis Costello to Rush to Stevie Ray Vaughan.

The description fits. Tracks on Atomic Fireball are varied and well deserving of Sanders' description.

If you want to check out The Missles they will be at the Ale House Saturday, Sept. 21.

NO FRUIT FLIES AT THIS GATHERING:

MEDITERRANEAN BASH FUN FOR ALL

BY SONIA SBEITI

The fall has begun, bringing with it a host of culture festivals.

Last weekend's festivities included the Mediterranean Festival, held Friday through Sunday, at the St. George Oxthodox Church. Despite the rain, an estimated 18,000 people attended the 10th annual festival.

People of every nationality came to enjoy the authentic Mediterranean cuisine and live entertainment.

Fare ranged from Italian to Lebanese, and from Palestinian to Syrian. Some culinary favorites, including stuffed grape leaves, shish kebabs, gyros/shawarma sandwiches and baklava, had long lines throughout the festival.

Providing a different type of stimulation were the cultural dancers and musicians of the St. George Dabke Troupe and the Celebration Band. Various belly dancers and Turkish hoofers also made the rounds of the festival grounds.

Jerry Fraser, who has attended the festival three consecutive years, said he keeps coming back for more because he enjoys the food and entertainment.

"I love it. It's a lot of fun," Fraser said. "And I love the grape leaves."

Children flocked to the petting zoo, rode on Habebe the Camel and wrapped a 10-foot snake -- Monty the Python -- around them for polaroid snapshots. Face painters attracted children and adults alike, and a souvenir shop offered a variety of gifts ranging from festival T-shirts to relegious icons.

Co-Publicity Chairperson, Sharen Wilner, who is of Lebanese heritage, has been organizing the festival since 1982 and looks forward to its continued growth.

"I hope to accommodate the different nationalities at our church and let the people know what orthodoxy is, since most people don't know, " Wilner said.

Some of the proceeds will go toward next year's festival and the balance will benefit charities including Sunshine Kids, Food for the Hungry, Special Olympics and Crime Stoppers.

OWLS LOOK TO FLY HIGH IN GRIDIRON CAMPAIGN

BY RANDY BAZAN

In 1990, the Rice Owls came within a two-point conversion of their first winning season since 1963.

They hope to put 27 years of frustration behind them this year, and get over the hump.

Although star quarterback Donald Hollas has graduated to the NFL, third year coach Fred Goldsmith has some potent offensive weapons at his disposal.

Leading the way will be running back Trevor Cobb. The junior out of Pasadena Dobie ranked eighth in the nation in rushing last season with 1,325 yards.

Cobb is the first player in Rice history to rush for more than 1,000 yards in a single season.

"It's for sure that Trevor won't sneak up on anybody this year," Goldsmith said. "People know and respect the type of player he is, and I expect him to have the same type season as he did last year.

The Owls also have a dangerous pass catcher in Eric Henley. The 5-8 senior caught 47 passes for 607 yards and five touchdowns last year.

Henley currently ranks seventh all-time in Southwest Conference receiving and is Rice's career receptions leader.

"There's no doubt that Eric is one of the best receivers in the nation when healthy," Goldsmith said.

For the Owls to be successful this year, junior quarterback Greg Willig must fill Hollas' shoes.

Defensively, Rice returns seven starters from last year's squad, which ranked fourth in the SWC.

Anchoring the line is junior nose guard Matt Sign, who at 5-10 and 220 pounds is undersized but plays big. He was the second leading tackler on the team last year.

The defense is not without question marks though. Three starters from last year's secondary, as well as standout inside linebacker O.J. Brigance, have graduated.

In all, the Owls have a lot of talent and are primed to take another giant step forward into the world of respectability.

UH NETTERS TAKE THIRD IN BOULDER TOURNAMENT

MARTY HAJOVSKY

VOLLEYBALL NOTEBOOK

The high hopes of the previous week were smothered in the thin air of Boulder as the UH volleyball team dropped two of three games at the Colorado Invitational over the weekend, claiming third place.

After taking the UT-Arlington Invitational Tourney the previous weekend, the Cougars were flying high with a 3-0 record and expectations for a great season. It didn't take long for the netters to see more clearly the task they have before them as reality set in.

The Cougars sandwiched a thriller over Northwestern Friday night between losses to No. 2 ranked Stanford and host Colorado.

The bright spot of the trip for Head Coach Bill Walton's Cougars came Friday evening. The troops rallied from a two game deficit in a stirring, come-from-behind win over Northwestern.

After dropping the first two games by scores of 16-17 and 9-15, the Cougars came together behind the inspired play of sophomore Karina Faber (.270 hitting percentage and 25 kills) and senior Karen Bell (.273 and nine kills).

The victory came on the heels of a spanking by Stanford. The Cardinals outmatched the Cougars completely, blanking them 15-3, 15-5, 15-1 to kick off the tourney Friday afternoon.

The Buffaloes used the home-court advantage to come from behind and edge Houston for second place, taking the Saturday match by the scores of 13-15, 15-5, 15-3, 15-7.

Houston stands at 4-2 for the season which is an encouraging sign despite the weekend's troubles. The netters are already a match ahead in the win column from last year's squad that went on to win the Women's Invitational Volleyball Classic.

Faber led the Houston attack all weekend, finishing with 50 kills, and was named to the All-Tournament team. It is the second selection for the sophomore in as many weeks. The native of Sao Paolo, Brazil claimed MVP honors last week in Arlington.

Faber's hopes of starting strong this year were especially important to her after missing the first half of last season due to injuries. Now, power spikes from a healthy Faber have placed the team's hitting percentage far above where it was a year ago. With the Bell (Karen, that is) tolling at her usual clip and Faber slamming the ball home, early season losses should be taken for what they are, early on.

As the team grows together and executes Walton's aggressive, power-oriented approach, UH will be tough to beat in conference and, later, NCAA tournament play.

slug:VBALL

PEER TUTORING CAN HELP STUDENTS WITH THOSE

COLLEGE ALGEBRA BLUES

BY MICHICA GUILLORY

If you're struggling with Math 1310 for the fourth time and can see no way out, there is hope. It's called peer tutoring and it's free for all currently enrolled UH students.

Peer tutoring, located on the third floor of the Social Work building, offers help in virtually all courses taught at UH.

Part of Learning Support Services, the tutoring program employs 30 tutors who are UH students, said Patrick Daniel, program director.

Tutors must have a 3.0 grade-point average, two letters of recommendation, a 3.25 GPA in their major and must pass an interview testing their communication skills, Daniel said.

Students who want a 20-minute tutoring session must fill out a request form and wait for an available tutor. Sessions can last more than 20 minutes.

Daniel said the biggest group of students using the program are seniors who have waited until the last minute to take their math courses. Freshman students make up the next largest group seeking help.

"I think this program helps in terms of retention," Daniel said. "If they need help with their course work, where else are they going to go?"

Kevin Thibodeaux, a sophomore mechanical engineering major, said tutoring helped him in math.

"It helped me a little bit with a few calculus problems," he said. "It's all right."

Cortez Perotte, a sophmore mechanical engineering major said "The tutoring was a significant help to me in my studies, especially in physics."

Some higher level courses such areas as physics are not offered as a part of the program because there are no qualified tutors, Daniel said.

Though there is a demand for help in these courses, Daniel said, "we try to do the best with what we have."

Peer tutoring is just one form of help a student can get from LSS, a unit of Counseling and Testing Services. The LSS program also offers counseling and referral, computer-aided learning, workshops, seminars and video-tape instruction.

LSS also works with students on probation and suspension on a one-to-one basis to help them get back on the road to a successful college career.

"If it is not one of the most important services on campus, I don't know what is," Daniel said.

RAIN HAZARDOUS TO HANDICAPPED ON UH CAMPUS

BY MELISSA NEELEY

The heavy onslaught of rain during the last week has made getting around campus even more difficult for handicapped students at UH.

Ayla Thomas, a senior psychology major, said the absence of shuttle buses used specifically to transport handicapped students to class has led to sickness and unnecessary expenses.

"Once I was caught in a rainstorm and the wires in my chair got wet and it started spinning around and wouldn't stop," Thomas said. "A lot of handicapped students are always getting sick because they get drenched when it rains and then go inside air-conditioned buildings for their classes."

Myra Shoemake, also a handicapped student, said she must wear a large waterproof poncho to cover herself and her electronically controlled wheelchair to prevent it from breaking down.

"They (the wheelchairs) cost so much to repair," Shoemake said. "There's a $50 service charge alone."

Karen L. Waldman, coordinator of Handicapped Student Services, said one lift-equipped van is available to transport UH students to doctors' appointments, football games and other non-academic activities. However, the school budget does not allow for handicapped-accessible buses that take students to class, she said.

Because there are 129 handicapped-only parking spaces available, school administrators may not perceive the need for a handicapped-accessable shuttle as important, she said.

Elwyn Lee, senior vice president for student affairs, said he is unaware handicapped students had problems with the lack of a bus with a lift.

Lee said most of UH's handicapped students come from outside campus and park in the handicapped spaces. He said the number of handicapped students who live on campus is so small that lift-equipped vans are not practical.

Lee said, however, that he would look into the problem.

Waldman said she would love to see buses with lifts, but no attempts are being made at this time to equip them.

CAMPUS EMPLOYEE ARRESTED FOR TRAFFIC FRACAS

BY JOHN CORDES HOWELL

A UH employee was arrested by UHPD and charged with criminal mischief Friday after a traffic accident with a UH student led to an altercation on campus Thursday.

Eliza Belle Burney, 40, an office manager for parking and transportation, was charged after she allegedly keyed the car of Laura S. List, 27, a UH student. The two were involved in an accident that occurred on I-45 at the Pierce elevated a few minutes prior to the keying incident.

Burney then followed List to campus, where a discussion took place near the information booth at entrance one. During the course of the conversation Burney allegedly struck the student.

"For unknown reasons, during the course of their talk, the suspect (Burney) allegedly struck the complaintant (List) in the forehead with a closed hand," said UHPD Assistant Chief Frank Cempa. "The complaintant attempted to get back into her vehicle and the door was closed on her left leg."

List told UHPD that Burney then took a key and began scratching the hood of List's car, a 1990 Chevy Cavalier.

After trying to stop Burney, List asked an information booth employee to call police and was told that she could reach them by using the call box located nearby.

Burney left the scene before police arrived to take the report from List. Burney was identified by UHPD later that day, and questioned.

"We contacted the suspect and gave her Miranda warnings regarding the incident," Cempa said. "We wanted to get her side of the story."

After getting an estimate on the damages done to List's car, UHPD notified the Harris County District Attorney's office. A warrant was issued on Friday for a Class A misdemeanor charge of criminal mischief naming Burney as the suspect.

Burney was arrested by UHPD at 2:34 p.m. Friday and taken to the Harris County jail. Bond was set at $500.

Neither List nor Burney could be reached for comment before press time Monday.

ALUMNI HEDGING OUT TREES TO MAKE WAY FOR

$5 MILLION CENTER

BY DAI HUYNH

With the construction of the new UH Alumni Center, the destruction of trees over a century old may be imminent.

Based on the center's preliminary plan, about 12 trees on the corner of Cullen and Elgin will be axed, UH Alumni Organization Executive Vice President Frank Holmes said.

Most of the trees on that corner are water oaks which are susceptible to diseases, he said.

"I'm not a tree expert, but from what people tell me and by personal observation, I can see that a good many of the trees are in very poor condition, and it relates to the fact that they are water oaks. Also, there's very poor drainage in that particular corner," Holmes said.

Trees that are in good condition will be left alone, but those with short life expectancies will be replaced with live oaks, he said.

"The architects mentioned to me that they probably will replace every one tree that has to be removed, either for health reasons or because of the building, with five trees," Holmes said.

For visual purposes, the billboard on the site of the proposed center does not show there will be a span of trees left behind and in front of the building, Holmes said. Extensive landscaping will be done to ensure that the area surrounding the building is attractive, he said.

In a survey, which was limited to the general area nearest to the intersection, it was determined about 77 trees of different varieties, including 20 hickories and 29 oaks, sit on the lot, said Raymond Dale, manager of Ground Maintenance.

The trees are well established and still growing, he said. Although four or five of the large water oaks are diseased, that is not unusual and they will continue to mature," Dale said.

The health of all the other trees is good. While some of the trees have been left leaning because of strong winds, which is not uncommon, they may stand in a healthy and stable condition for a normal lifespan," he said.

Bownds Wholesale Nursery President Jon Seipel, who supplies trees to the university, said that after briefly surveying the area, it appears to be a lush and prime area for plant life.

"Most of the trees in that area look really good and seem to be thriving. In general, oak trees, including water oaks, are sturdy trees," he said. "Water oaks have a life span of 100 or more years because there are very little pests or enemies of the oak trees."

The three story building will cost about $5 million and will be about 45,000 square feet, said Jose Molina of Pleas Doyle-Molina and Associates Joint Venture.

As of right now, it is difficult to say when groundbreaking for the center will begin since the Project Planning Committee is still in the program phrase. This phase determines which furnishings are needed, and who else besides the Alumni Organization will occupy the facility, he said.