CAMPUS HEALTH CARE IN NATIONAL CRISIS

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

A university without an English department is imposible to imagine. Unfortunately, officials from colleges across the country say the absence of campus health care and counseling is not considered equally as absurd.

As a result, student health clinics are trying to find alternative sources of funding. Many counseling services could be ended as a result of budget cuts, administrators warn.

"There is a change in mood on university campuses across the country," said Dr. Donald Peters, director of the University of Minnesota's Health Services.

That mood is not a heath-conscious one.

"As state and federal funding decreases, tuitions increase. Because schools are trying to keep their total costs as low as possible, some fees, like health fees, are not escalated to maintain service," said Verna Armstrong, senior educational resources consultant with the American Association of State Colleges and Universities.

Most student health centers across the country are supported primarily by student fees. The remainder of the money comes from university funding and third-party insurance. Insurance money is collected from non-student patients using the student health centers for medical care.

Most university counseling services, such as rape crisis centers, drug and alcohol treatment programs and educational programs for AIDS, eating disorders and stress, do not fall under the health services umbrella.

Instead, they are funded primarily by each university with minimal money coming from fees. In times of financial strain, counseling programs are usually the first to get cut.

"This is the 1990s," Peters said. "We are not just Band-Aid centers. There are an incredible number of services students need. Unfortunately those programs, the ones peripheral to health care, are always the first to go."

Already this year budget problems at Stanford University have resulted in the school ignoring a task force recommendation to hire someone to run its sexual assault services.

The University of Florida has suffered cuts in its rape counseling and victim-advocate services as well.

"People really need to have these programs to deal with what's going on," said Lt. Sadie Darnell, spokeswoman for the Gainesville Police Department.

At Rutgers University a recommendation by a task force resulted in the hiring of a person to run the school's sexual assault services. But, the school has reduced funds for its alcohol treatment program.

"I think there's a general feeling of considerable vulnerability because classroom activities won't be cut," said David Burns, Rutgers' assistant vice president for Student Life. "Many people feel these services are essential. We see them as linked to education, but many institutions just hold instruction at the top."

In Washington, the government is getting involved in the issue as well.

Selena Dong, legislative consultant for the United States Student Association, lobbying group for student concerns, said USSA is working on trying to get federal money earmarked for rape counseling services.

Sen. Joseph Biden (D-Del.) recently worked with the Senate Judiciary Committee to get a bill passed providing some federal money to colleges agreeing to make sexual assault statistics public information.

"I think that's great," Burns said, "But I don't think the government is going to come up with enough money for everyone.

While many are contemplating the fate of counseling services, health administrators are scrambling to come up with their own methods of earning money.

Dr. William Broyles, administrator of the Student Health Center at Mississippi State University, recently shared his school's success at the American College Health Association's annual meeting.

Broyles said Mississippi State is allowing private doctors to practice at the student health center. The center then charges the physician an overhead cost for using the facilities.

Also, the student health center is providing low-cost health care, such as physicals for non-students, and is reducing the cost of X-rays and other tests by having them performed at outside laboratories.

"What major institutions have to do is use the inner structure (of health care centers) to include health care for employees, faculty, staff and others to gain revenue," Peters said.

By adding these non-student patients to the list, university health centers can receive increased insurance money for payment of services.

"Because we are self-supported, we have have to generate our own revenue," Broyles said. "It's strictly market-driven. The more patients, the more money."

Another option for some schools is "trying to help by offering group insurance plans to students," Armstrong said.

Ironically, about two years ago, when many concerns about student health care and its cost surfaced, a College-Aid Health Care Kit emerged for students to keep in their dormitory rooms or apartments.

The kit sells for $19.95 and includes a 60-page health care guide along with a thermometer, antihistamine, pain/fever reducer, bandages, antibiotic ointment, an elastic bandage wrap and an ice pack. Condoms are optional.

*******************************************************

BLACK STUDENT UNION MEMBERS NO-SHOWED

GROUP-BACKED EVENT

BY DAVE DAVIS

In return for a trip to the Texas State Legislature, candidate Jew Don Boney promises a commitment to rolling back college tuition rates, and to keeping education at the forefront of Texas politics.

Boney spoke before a crowd of about 60 students Tuesday in front of the UC-Satellite, a disappointing show of support for a candidate who made a desperate plea for volunteers during his address.

Boney spent a great deal of time during his speech asking for financial support as well as manpower to help with his struggling campaign.

The District 147 seat, which includes UH, became open after the recent drug-related death of Rep. Larry Evans.

The audience dissipated when the music stopped and Boney took the stage. There were no signs of concerned student organizations rallying, either in support or in protest, of the candidate.

The Progressive Student Network, one of the event's sponsors, gave a decent show of support to the candidate with a representation of 10 students. The group has a membership of approximately 35 students.

Thad McLemore, chairman of PSN, said he was pleased with how the organization supported the legislative hopeful.

However, The Black Student Union, which also sponsored Boney's campus address and boasts a membership of 150 students, did not turn out in substantial numbers to listen to the legislative hopeful's speech.

The BSU was unavailable for comment on the matter at press time. But Boney campaign workers were on hand to defend the organization.

Ray Paige, coordinator for the Boney campaign said it was more important for the BSU to be instrumental in arranging a format for Boney to voice his campaign platform to the UH campus than it was for members of the organization to make an obligatory appearance.

"We feel the BSU did us a great service by sponsoring this event, and we are happy with the turnout," Paige said.

In the closing moments of his speech, Boney reminded UH of his commitment to issues concerning college students and of his on-going fight for the people of District 147.

On trying to decide between the 11 candidates on election day, Boney suggested UH students ask the other candidates, "What have you done for me lately?"

RADIO CALLER ON WRONG TRACK

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

If you were listening to the John Matthews show on KPRC-950 AM Monday and live in the Moody Towers, don't worry. No one has been raped recently, and there's no gunman running around inside the Towers.

An unidentified man called in to Matthews' morning, open-line radio show saying his daughter had told him of some crimes that had happened in the residence halls over the weekend.

The man said his daughter, who lives in the Towers, told him there had been a rape and that a man had been running around inside the residence hall with a gun.

Matthews said the man asked him if he knew anything about the supposed incidents and he referred him to UHPD.

"It kind of came out of the blue," Matthews said, adding the conversation on the show at the time was not directly related to the man's comment.

Asst. Police Chief Frank Cempa said his department received some calls during and after the show inquiring about the caller's comments.

"No complaints were made to us, so we didn't look into it and officially nothing happened."

However, Cempa said there was a resident of the residence halls running around the Towers early Sunday morning with a Nintendo video game gun.

Police sobered the student up and gave him a Student Life Referral. A Student Life Referral is essentially a letter to the dean of students making him aware of questionable behavior by students so that he can review the case and recommend action.

Cempa said he thought the caller's information was probably "scuttlebutt gotten out of hand."

"If the father knows something we don't, then he should come in and talk to us," he said.

Cempa said crimes may be happening in the Towers, but what isn't reported to UHPD can't be acted on.

"I'm sure the rumors fly fast and furious on a college campus," Matthews said.

REGENT MCKILLOP? COLUMNIST TO FILL POSITION

BY ANTON P. MONTANO

Daily Cougar staff columnist Mark McKillop was nominated to fill the current vacancy in the student regent position at the meeting of the Students' Association Monday.

McKillop was chosen among 12 official applicants who were interviewed last week by the SA president, vice president, director of personnel and speaker.

His nomination will be reviewed by SA's Internal Affairs Committee and then voted on by the senate at the next SA meeting.

The position became vacant in the spring of 1991 when Veena Sardana left UH to attend graduate school at the University of Texas at Austin. Sardana was the first student elected to the advisory position.

After a week of interviews, SA President Michael Berry said McKillop's communication skills and understanding of student concerns made him the best candidate for the job.

"I think he understands the concerns of all our students," Berry said. "This is a non-traditional university, and Mark is a non-traditional student."

McKillop, 37, was a New York City fireman before an injury in 1985 led to his moving to Houston and entering UH at age 34.

McKillop said the student population at UH had many older students, but the position of student regent would require a concern for the long-term interests of all UH students.

"I've always looked at this university as more than just a temporary weigh station of my life," McKillop said. "I always want to be proud of this university and not just while I'm here.

"The regents are all about the future," McKillop said. "They have little control over the day-to-day business of the university. My children don't have to go to Notre Dame or Harvard. I want them to go to UH."

The application of McKillop, whose column "Mark's Remarks" appears twice a week in The Daily Cougar, was first met with some speculation. But, Berry said, McKillop proved to be very knowledgeable and serious about the student regent position.

"He takes this very seriously," Berry said. "And he is committed to the students of this university."

"I think I know when it's time to be serious," McKillop said. "Most of my successes have come when I'm serious: my good GPA, my wonderful family and children."

The student regent is currently just an advisory, non-voting position. SA members hope UH's Board of Regents would eventually invite the student regent to attend closed executive session meetings.

"I think the future of the student regent position will be determined by Mark's success," Berry said. "This is an opportunity for us to create a positive trend for education that the state will be looking at.

"The SA is not presuming an adversarial roll with the board," Berry said. "In fact, with a student regent to question about student concerns, I think this will work out to their advantage."

McKillop is a married father of three children. He is majoring in elementary education.

BONEY BACKED BY STUDENTS AT REVIVAL

BY ERICKA SCHICHE

Rev. Jew Don Boney's grassroots campaign came to campus yesterday to gather student support.

Approximately 60 students gathered near the UC-Satellite to watch and listen to Boney, candidate for the representative seat in District 147, which includes UH.

Several students said they thought Boney had an excellent chance at winning the late Larry Evans' seat.

Jennifer Smith, a sophomore majoring in computer technology, thought Boney deserves the votes on Sept. 24.

"I think he represents a lot of the concerns that are shared by most African-Americans. I think his foundation is very secure as it pertains to the advancement and productivity of African-Americans." On his chances, Smith said, "I think he has a fair chance if he receives the support and if we take the time to vote ... He has a fairly good chance."

Vivian Lee, a freshman majoring in journalism, agreed with Smith's sentiments. "He's giving power to the people. He's willing to work for the poor and the minorities. I'm for all that. He involves students (in his grassroots campaign) and that's very important," she said.

Also known as an activist, founding member and chairman of the Black United Front organization, former broadcast journalist and host of FM 90.1 KPFT's "From the Front Line" program, Boney impressed some students with his agenda and platform.

Lance Russell, a junior majoring in English and psychology, is another believer in Boney's ideas.

"The active role in crime prevention is important. He will be well received because most people are opting for candidates who will take a firm stand on the major issues," he said.

Debra Bunton, a sophomore undeclared major, said Boney took a much stronger position on the issues than other, lesser-known candidates.

PRAYER AND PROTEST: RANDALL TERRY

WOWS `EM IN WICHITA

BY JOHN GRIFFIN

Ladies and gentlemen! Boys and girls! And all you sinning baby killers! Step right up!

America's favorite carnival huckster and sideshow attraction is barking his P.T. Barnum theology across the Bible belt.

That's right folks, Randall Terry and Operation Thug (a.k.a. Operation Rescue) are storming the health-care clinics of Wichita, Ka., right now and making life generally miserable for the women of that state who are seeking not only abortions, but basic female health-care.

Although Roe v. Wade still stands as the legal precendent in the nation, making abortion perfectly legal, and although three of the circuit courts have declared stringent state anti-abortion legislation unconstitutional, starting the ball rolling toward an inevitable Supreme Court showdown, Terry and his fundamentalist hooligans continue to harass, badger, vex, barricade and assault women excercising their option of choice.

So what can this possibly have to do with entertainment, you might ask.

Well, for sheer showmanship, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who can whip a crowd into such a bleeding frenzy while simultaneously deflecting relevant questions pertaining to his motives and questionable "Christian" tactics. His performances, like the one on Donahue Monday morning, are seldom flawed. His flock of bleating sheep adore him and apparently the President Of The United States Of America's Justice Department endorses his group's action. Whether or not that implicates George the Noncommital in this instance is up to your discretion.

Even more than a question of entertainment, Operation Rescue and Randall Terry's move to the fore of the American political scene while riding the wave of fundamentalism, raises serious problems about the ability of extremist factions, both liberal and conservative, to manipulate the media with well timed and perfectly-crafted sideshows. For those looking for the meat of crucial social issues, the grey areas of reason end up buried under the flood of polarized and monochromatic rhetoric gleaned and glorified by the press.

Kierkegaard made the observation that, "The daily press is the evil principle of the modern world, and time will only serve to disclose this fact with greater and greater clearness. The capacity of the newspaper for degeneration is sophistically without limit, since it can always sink lower and lower in its choice of readers. At last it will stir up all those dregs of humanity which no state or government can control."

Were he alive today to witness how low the televised press will plunge, even Kierkegaard would probably be shocked.

The boundaries of bad taste are infinite.

In actuality, although hardly innocent, Terry is probably less at fault in this instance than the media, which panders to conventional wisdom and sensational tactics for prime time fill.

With so much on the line in the question of Roe v. Wade, one would think a little bit of media discretion might be advisable in the coming months.

But hey, hate sells ratings and ratings sell ads, and just like Desert Storm, everyone's buying.

STUDENT DECKED BY EMPLOYEE

BY JOHN CORDES HOWELL

Belle Eliza Burney, a UH employee arrested last week for allegedly keying a student's car, said Tuesday she regretted the "unfortunate incident."

Burney, office manager for UH Parking and Transportation, refused to answer any other questions, saying, "It had nothing to do with my job at the campus. I regret that it happened. I'm a human being."

Burney was arrested on campus by UHPD last Friday and charged with criminal mischief after allegedly striking UH student Laura List and scratching her car with a key.

The incident, which took place outside the information booth at Entrance 1, was witnessed by booth-attendant Lupe Lara, an 11-year UH employee.

"The student stopped right in front of the window," Lara said. She said Burney approached List's car and demanded that List show her proof of insurance, which List refused to do.

"I told her (List) that Belle (Burney) was my boss," she said.

It was shortly after List reportedly refused to show Burney proof of insurance that the alleged assault took place.

"Belle hit her in the left side of her head," Lara said. "It took her by surprise."

Lara said she then saw Burney hit List with the student's car door.

Lara said that when Burney took her car keys and began scratching the hood of List's car, List responded verbally.

"She said, `What are you doing? Stop that,'" Lara said.

List then asked Lara to call UHPD.

"I told her to call the police on the call box and pull around to the other side of the booth," Lara said.

UHPD arrived in three to five minutes, Lara said. Burney left before police arrived, driving off in her car, which had been parked in front of List's car, blocking it, Lara said.

Lara received a phone call from Burney after the incident happened.

"Belle called me about an hour later and apologized, saying, `I'm sorry you had to see that. I was wrong to hit her,'" Lara said.

A clerk with the Harris County Criminal Court said Burney was released on a pre-trial bond. A court hearing is scheduled for Friday.

UH police said a staff referral notice has been sent to interim Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance Tom Jones.

Jones was unavailable for comment Tuesday.

MENTOR PROGRAM IMPROVES FROSH CAMPUS LIFE

BY MICHICA GUILLORY

The dean of students' EXCEL programs helps new students adjust to life at UH and realize they are more than just a number, program officials say.

The programs pair new students with student leaders, UH faculty, staff and alumni; matching them according to major, ethnicity and interests to help them succeed during their freshman year.

The mentors act as counselors and advisors to new students who are unaware of campus advantages such as tutoring, computers and academic advising. To some students, the mentors are the first Cougar friends they have.

Sophomore Jason Gregory, a Willowridge High School graduate and participant in the Faculty and Staff Assisting Students (FSAS) program, was paired with Dean of Students Willie Munson during his freshman year.

Munson helped Gregory get involved in campus activities like Student Traffic Court. Gregory maintained a 3.5 grade-point average while involved in the court.

"I think that it is a wonderful opportunity for freshman and transfer students to learn about the campus," Gregory said.

During the summer, Gregory became one of the first freshman on the Orientation Team because he learned so much about campus through the program.

The EXCEL Programs, established in 1986 by Thelma Douglass, who is now the assistant dean of students, are divided into two groups: mentor programs and student networking programs.

The mentor programs began with FSAS, a program that pairs faculty and staff members with freshman and transfer students. The Students Assisting Students (SAS) program, specially designed to attract ethnic and minority students, pairs upperclassmen leaders with freshman and transfer students.

Derrick Kelly, also a student in the FSAS program, increased GPA by one point after getting his mentor.

The SAS program now has 934 students and 120 mentors participating; FSAS has 694 students and 114 mentors in its program.

Earlier this year, 71 participants went to a Rockets game, which was the first trip students and mentors took together.

"We should encourage the faculty and staff to join the program because they are really the backbone of the program along with SAS," said Mohammad Ahmed, student assistant to EXCEL.

"The more people there are, the more successful it will be."

The REACH program, added in 1989, pairs students with other students and faculty and staff from a similar cultural background.

Kevin Thibodeaux, an African-American student in the REACH program, received the 1991 Engineering Award for freshman studies.

Alumni Connection Teams (ACT), a new program beginning this fall, links new students with UH alumni. Fourteen mentors have been recruited to help more than 20 students in the ACT program.

College Success, established in 1988, and Tranfers-in-Transition, established in 1989, are student networking programs that allow students to form study groups with other students in their college or major.

College Success, which has 803 students participating, is specifically aimed at freshmen students, even if they are undeclared majors. Transfers-in-Transition is for transfer and returning students and has 550 students participating in the network.

"There is obviously a deep interest in the programs," Assistant Dean of Students Heriberto Leon said. "Increased participation is an indication of this."

Most of the mentees are gathered through summer orientation, and the mentors are recruited before the fall. Students are then matched depending on which program they entered. "We don't want to make wrong matches," Ahmed said. Wrong matches would be detrimental to the program, he said.

"It is difficult to follow up on everyone, so once a month Douglass sponsors enrichment activities and mentors and mentees are asked to show up," Ahmed said.

However, program officials said the EXCEL program is not completely without its flaws.

"There is an extremely large number of students and not enough mentors," Douglass said. Contacts not being made and the EXCEL staff not being able to ensure contact is also a problem, she said.

At the end of the school year, the program recognizes participants of the programs with an award ceremony.

"I think it's something that is needed in a big institution like this because you can be such an anonymous number," Leon said. "You get to talk with a real human being."

HOGS' LAST SWC HURRAH

BY JASON LUTHER

With 1991 being Arkansas' last year in the Southwest Conference, Head Coach Jack Crowe would like to leave a winner.

Unless the Razorbacks can improve on last season's 3-8 record, however, some may think they were kicked out of the SWC.

In Arkansas, winning

is a long-standing tradition. Last year's record was the team's worst since 1952.

Coming back from a season in which only a last game victory over SMU saved the Razorbacks from the conference cellar will not be an easy task for Crowe.

The team is already off to a shaky start. After starting the season with a 31-3 loss to Miami and an unimpressive 17-6 win over SMU, the only positive right now is that they are switching to the Southeastern Conference next year.

Starting quarterback Gary Adams is a junior but has seen limited action before this season.

In the two games this year he is nine for 29 with 94 yards, no touchdowns and one interception.

However, the defense looks to be the best hope for a salvagable season. They collected five interceptions, and allowed only six points in the SMU game.

If Arkansas is to compete this year, they will have to rely on the defense. If not, the SEC will surely accept them with open arms.

OFFENSIVE-MINDED CORNERBACK READY FOR

MIAMI SHOWDOWN

BY JASON LUTHER

Don't tell Houston cornerback Jerry Parks he plays defense.

"I play offense when I'm on defense," said the 5-9, 180-pound senior. "I don't play to let them catch and then come and make the tackle. I play to intercept the ball."

Parks led the nation with eight interceptions last season, running one back for a touchdown while earning the respect of receivers around the country.

However, Parks will likely face the biggest test of his college career Thursday night at Miami when he will be challenged by receivers of one of the best offenses in the country.

Parks welcomes the challenge.

"It'll be a test," he said. "They've got good receivers. But if I play my technique and focus on what I have to do in this game, not a receiver on Miami's team can touch me."

Parks said the entire UH secondary is ready for Miami.

"Bring Miami on," he said. "They're doing all the talking."

Parks said all the trash talk circulating from Miami after their win at Arkansas only further motivates the team.

"I could see if they beat us last year," Parks said. "Then they would have the right to talk. But they haven't played us, and they really don't know what we can do. But they'll find out."

Asked about a possible rivalry between the two team's secondaries, Parks said the true rivalry will be against the Miami defensive line, who was saying the majority of the trash talk.

"I guess they're supposed to be quote studs, but we'll find that out Thursday night," he said. "I'd rather let them talk. While they're talking, we're building our morale.

"You have to show me first, and then you can talk about it," Parks said. "We don't have to intimidate people through papers. We do it on the field."

Parks said he will make no special preparations for the game against Miami.

"I don't change my game plan for anyone," he said. "I will go out and play my game because if I start changing, and I'm doing something I don't normally do, then they're at the advantage."

Parks' game plan has worked well for him since arriving in Houston in 1990.

He didn't play football in 1989 after transferring to Houston Community College from Oklahoma, where he had 50 tackles and three interceptions as a freshman in 1988.

In 1990 Parks walked on at UH and quickly secured a starting spot as a cornerback. However, injuries to the secondary forced him to move to free safety for the Cougars last season.

He responded by leading the team in interceptions, ranking third in tackles with 99 and breaking up nine passes. His stellar season was crowned when he was named outstanding defender in the 1990 Coca-Cola Bowl against Arizona in Tokyo.

Parks earned All-Southwest Conference honors, and is a prime candidate for All-America this season.

Right now, however, Parks is focused on the Miami game.

"We're ready to play this game," he said. "We're tired of practicing against our own receivers."

SUCCESSFUL WRITER GRATEFUL FOR UH'S

SPONSORING SERIES

BY STEVE GARRETT

Acclaimed fiction writer Tim O'Brien opened the UH sponsored Houston Reading Series last night at the Museum of Fine Arts by reading selections from his award-winning novel, Going After Cacciato.

O'Brien's work, which won the 1979 National Book Award, is a collection of intertwining short stories in which the characters go through the problems that affect them during the Vietman War, O'Brien said.

The writer combines his personal experiences during Vietnam with fiction to create works focusing on the hardships of war.

After graduating from Minnesota's Macalester College in 1968, O'Brien was drafted into the Army as a foot soldier, he said.

"I did not plan to have a career in writing -- I majored in political science and philosophy. After getting out of Vietnam, I decided I had something to say to the world."

In 1990, O'Brien released his latest novel, The Things They Carry -- another book about the trials and tribulations of the war from a soldier's perspective. It was selected by the New York Times Book Review as one of the best works of fiction in 1990.

Other works by O'Brien include: If I Die in a Combat Zone, Northern Lights and The Nuclear Age.

O'Brien said he is grateful to have been asked to read for the Houston Reading Series and holds the UH Creative Writing Program in high regard.

"The writing program has a fine reputation around the country," he said. "A lot of good writers I know came from there."

The UH program includes award-winning poet Cynthia MacDonald, founder of the program. The cumulative honors and awards of the program's faculty are extensive: five Guggenheims, one Pulitzer Prize, three National Book Awards, one National Book Critics Circle Award and more than 40 books.

Students of the program have also been published by Farrar and Random House.

The program has sponsored the Houston Reading Series for the past 11 years. Along with O'Brien, other featured writers include Francine Prose and Nina Cassian, who will be bringing their works to the series Oct. 8.

English professor James Phillips, will be running what he calls the "extensive" series this year.

"Its been fairly international. Nina Cassian, who is coming this year, is from Romania. We also try to have a balance of creative and fiction writers and poets."

The series runs through April and is open to the public. It costs $5 to the public, but is free to students and senior citizens.

STUDENT ROBBED AT GUNPOINT IN 1A

BY DAI HUYNH

UHPD is conducting a search for a suspect who escaped late Tuesday after robbing a UH student at gunpoint.

During the incident, the student voiced his disbelief that the robber's firearm was real, so the perpetrator discharged it into the air, UH police said.

The aggravated robbery occurred in parking Lot 1A at 11:37 p.m. Tuesday when an assailant approached Phi Hoang as he was returning to his car, Asst. Police Chief Frank Cempa said.

The suspect demanded Hoang hand over his wallet, but instead, the student questioned whether the gun was authentic, Cempa said.

Immediately, the robber fired shots into the air to show he had a real firearm and was serious about using it, Cempa said.

At that point, the assailant's partner crept up behind the student and padded him down, fleeing with Hoang's wallet, credit cards and other miscellaneous papers, he said.

The suspects were described as two black males and both appeared to be about 17 years old, Cempa said.

The first suspect, who fired what appeared to be a blue steel, automatic pistol, is clean-shaven, 5 feet 7 inches tall and about 140 pounds, Cempa said.

Hoang said he can identify the first perpetrator and assisted UHPD in a composite sketch of the robber. He added that at the time of the robbery, the suspect with the gun was wearing a blue shirt and knee-length shorts.

However, he was unable to get a clear look at the second robber, but said that he was about 5 feet 7 inches tall and 150 pounds.

The perpetrators were last seen leaving the scene in a small black and blue truck heading north out of Lot 1A, Cempa said.

Hoang was not physically harmed, Cempa said. But the police chief warned others within the university community when faced with a weapon, to assume it is genuine.

"It's no guarantee that they still won't do something to you, but your best odds is compliance if confronted with a deadly weapon," he said. "In Houston, people have been volatile, and in some instances, folks have been shot. You can replace your property, but you can't replace your life."

INTERIM POSITIONS WHITHER

UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett said she hopes to fill all but one of her top administrative interim positions before the October board of regents meeting.

She said she hopes to present regents with a permanent senior vice president of administration and finance and a vice president of student affairs at the board's Oct. 23 meeting.

This will leave only one top position, the senior vice president for academic affairs with an interim. Barnett said a permanent replacement will be found by January 1992 for a senior vice president for academic affairs.

Deputy to the President Thomas Jones has been in the interim senior vice president for administration and finance position, while Grace Butler, associate vice president of faculty affairs, has filled the deputy slot on an interim basis.

After a months-long national search, four men were named last week as finalist for senior vice president for administration and finance.

Interim Vice President for External Relations David Keith will be made permanent on a contractual basis, Barnett said.

Barnett said a statewide and local search is under way for a permanent senior vice president for student affairs. Elwyn Lee is currently the interim for this position.

She made these announcements yesterday, while speaking with members of the College of Humanities and Fine Arts.

In an effort to keep lines of communication open, Barnett has been having informal meetings with faculty of all colleges on campus.

"It's an opportunity for me to have a dialogue with the faculty in all the colleges," she said.

During the meetings, she fielded questions from faculty on a variety of issues such as the university budget, salary compression and overcrowded classroom conditions.

She has completed all meetings except the Graduate School of Social Work and the College of Social Sciences.