MORE CHEAP THRILLS

BY SALLY POUNCY

Poor, starving college students take notice -- you no longer have to sit in front of the television set for cheap weekend entertainment.

Look around, you live in a major American metropolis entertainment abounds.

There are many things to do in Houston that are not going to plunge you into bankruptcy! Here is a list to ponder when you're low on dough, but aching for fun.

The Miller Outdoor Theater and the City of Houston present two dance movements to benefit Lepow's Shoes for the Needy. Several Dancers Core of Houston and Austin's Sharir Dance Company dancers will perform "Interiors" and "Flight Dreams," today and Saturday, Sept. 13 and 14 at 8 p.m. Admission is free, but donations of new or used shoes will be appreciated.

While you are walking around in the museum district, shuffle to the Contemporary Arts Museum for their new sculpture exibit, South Bronks Hall of Fame: Sculpture by John Ahern and Rigoberto Torres. The show begins Saturday, Sept. 14 and ends on Nov. 3. Admission is free, but donations are always accepted.

If the theater is more your style, Main Street Theater starts its season Thursday, Sept. 19 with the world premier of Old Doves, by William M. Whitehead. There will be two half-price previews of the performance on Saturday, Sept. 14 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, Sept.15 at 4 p.m. However, MST offers half-price and discount tickets for students.

Stages Theater opens their season this weekend with Harold Pinter's comic drama Betrayal. UH's own Sidney Berger, chairman of the drama department, will be directing this Stages production, which opens today, Sept. 13 and runs thru Oct. 13. Student discount tickets are available on the day of the performance at the box office.

The Asia Society and the Organization of Chinese Americans, greater Houston chapter, bring Chinese Americans: Fact, Film and Fiction to Houston Community College's Heine Theater on Saturday, Sept. 21 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be readings, story telling and a film presentation. Student tickets are $2. Call 439-0051 by Sept. 17 for reservations.

For those symphony patrons, Olli Mustonen will make his debut with The Houston Symphony on Sept. 21-23. Students can get $5 seats with identification, 15 minutes prior to the performance.

*******************************************************

RECENT EVENTS CONTRIBUTE TO DECONSTRUCTION THEORY

BY JOHN GRIFFIN

If any one critical theory can be utilized to understand the shifting nature of the world right now, deconstruction would be that theory.

The Soviet Union.

East Germany.

George Will.

Politically correct.

Given the shifting political and cultural climate on the planet right now, it would seem imperative for the informed individual to pursue actively the philosophical underpinnings of such massive upheavals.

And while theories come and theories go, few critical ideologies have prompted so much debate or contributed so significantly to recent events as that of deconstruction.

Deconstruction, which is one of the essential elements of post-modern thought, made its American debut in 1966 at Johns Hopkins University courtesy of French philosopher, Jaques Derrida, the initial proponent of the theory.

At the core of the theory is the idea, although somewhat simply stated, that we may not actually "know" what we think we know; that underlying premises of what we believe may not really be "true."

It examines, as UH Associate Professor of English John McNamara says, the "radical instability" of societies and the possibility "there may be no fixed meaning" to come to understand.

In the translator's preface to Of Grammatology, Derrida's seminal work outlining deconstruction, Gayatri Spivak notes what, "Derrida has reminded us to say ... anew, is that a certain view of the world, of consciousness, and of language has been accepted as the correct one, and, if the minute particulars of that view are examined, a rather different picture emerges."

This assertion and others like it have drawn considerable fire from a host of conservative and "traditional" thinkers.

In the appendix of his book titled, Kenneth Burke and Martin Heidegger, UH English professor Samuel B. Southwell, writes, "In Of Grammatology Jacques Derrida most fully develops his theoretical position. The theory is derived from a hypothesis that cannot be taken seriously."

Southwell is not alone in his criticism of deconstructive theory. Allan Bloom, Dinesh D' Souza and George Will have all taken their

shots at the idea. Bloom calls deconstruction, in The Closing of the American Mind, "the last, predictable stage in the sup

pression of truth in the name of philosophy."

Bloom's "truth," has been called into question more than once in academic debates over the undergraduate "canon," that body of work assembled by educators that supposedly represents the most important works to be studied at a university.

UH sociology professor William Simon says such questioning has been, "occassioned by a kind of loss of faith in the great tradition."

In addition, UH journalism professor Les Switzer said, "The Western canon is a canon constructed at a very specific point and time and a very specific geographic area by a very specific group of people.

"We're working toward a more democratic intellectual climate without such narrow political implications," Switzer said. "The threatening aspect to some people is that it calls into question their authority and the authority of institutions."

More recently, proponents of deconstruction and post-modern theory, sometimes dubbed "politically correct" by conservatives, have come under fire for being what Newsweek magazine called the "Thought Police" and a Wall Street Journal editorial headline trumpeted as the "Return of the Storm Troopers."

Simon disagrees with such overkill, claiming the rise of what he calls a "post-paradigmatic" society has spurred a "return to a healthy relativism," which "attempts to understand social life" as something considerably less than "arbitrary."

"They're shooting at a paper tiger," McNamara said of the political correctness question. "A lot of people have tried to recognize the plurality of cultures and societies in a language, which is sensitive and respectful of different groups."

He said such accusations were basically, "a non-issue."

As co-founders of the Center for Critical Cultural Studies, both Switzer and McNamara have been instrumental in promoting a multi-faceted approach to academic research on this campus.

Next week: The Center for Critical Cultural Studies. It's aims and impacts.

PHYSICAL PLANT WORKERS CLAIM TO KNOW RULES

BY ADAM MCMCRARY

Despite what some students may think, the drivers of the Cushman vehicles that zip around UH sidewalks have rules to follow concerning safe operation.

University regulations state the maximum operating speed for the Cushmans on sidewalks is 5 miles per hour, and every effort should be made by the driver to limit travel during peak pedestrian periods. Pedestrians, according to the regulations, always have the right of way.

Herb Collier, director of the Physical Plant, said Physical Plant workers are very safety-conscious about their driving.

"I believe you'll find that our scooter drivers have a sense of responsiblity," Collier said. "We put our people through a pretty thorough training course and we have regular safety meetings.

"Our drivers fuss at each other when they start driving too fast. So they're pretty conscious about safety," Collier said.

Though the rules state the maximum speed limit is 5 miles per hour, not all Cushman drivers gave the correct answer when asked how fast they are supposed to go.

Two Physical Plant workers said they thought they were supposed to use their own discretion.

"When students are on the sidewalks you just stop or you idle along behind them," a Physical Plant worker said.

However, both workers said they have to be conscious of safety in their scooters or they could lose their jobs.

"I was pretty thoroughly trained in how to use my cart. I know that if I so much as hit someone with my mirror or run over someone's toe, I'm gone," one of the Physical Plant employees said.

"I hate to put the finger on anybody," Collier said, "but audio-visual (department) people go awfully fast in those scooters."

Two audio-visual drivers delivering equipment to Agnes Arnold Hall said the speed limit for scooters on the sidewalks is 10 miles per hour.

Umesh Kapur, who is responsible for training audio-visual department drivers, said the proper speed limit is posted in the carts and the drivers are responsible for following the rules.

Juan Mujica, a junior architecture major, said he didn't think the scooter drivers had any regard for the safety of students on the sidewalks.

"It will be raining," Mujica said, "and you'll be trying to walk around a puddle on the sidewalk and (the drivers) will drive right through and splash you."

Junior art major Carolyn Kelly said she wished the drivers would let you know they are approaching by tapping their horns, rather than just sneaking up.

"Sometimes you'll have no idea that they are behind you," Kelly said. "Then they will pass you and you'll have not known they were coming. I just wish they would give us a little warning."

"Approximately 50 percent of the scooters on campus are operated by Physical Plant empolyees," Collier said. "They're easily recognized because ours all have Physical Plant bumper stickers on them. The rest are spread out among various other departments on campus."

Collier said he wished they could restrict the scooters from the sidewalks, but some buildings are only accessible by sidewalk.

"We've put up barriers to try and restrict scooter access," Collier said. "The only problem is that we have to leave enough space between the barriers for wheelchairs to pass through, and that allows enough room for most of the scooters on campus."

COOGS ELIGIBLE FOR DISASTER RELIEF AFTER

HURRICANE MIAMI

BY MIKE ROSEN AND RANDY BAZAN

The Cougars sustained no major injuries Thursday night.

Now the bad news.

Not even Galveston's great hurricane of 1900 compared to the crashing waves of orange David Klingler saw coming over Houston's offensive line.

Not once, not twice, but five times the Heisman candidate cratered to the Orange Bowl surface, and was pressured the rest of the night. For the first time as a starter he threw only one touchdown pass -- a somewhat meaningless seven-yard strike to Marcus Grant with three seconds remaining in the game.

What John Jenkins has always preached has finally come true, as the Cougars were more than eligible for a butt-whippin.'

It's certainly not the end of the world. The sun still rose in the east this morning, and Jenkins' hair still begins at the tip of his forehead and ends in a thousand points of light.

However, he may need to stock up on coveralls and Windex for his glasses this week to prepare for the mud and "I told you so's" that are sure to be slung his way.

Last night's 40-10 massacre adds ammunition to the "pick on somebody your own size-" campaign that's been gathering support across the NCAA for two seasons.

Critics have blasted Jenkins for showing no mercy to teams hopelessly trailing his offensive machine. What goes around comes around. And there's no doubt coaches across the land are grinning from ear to ear as they read their morning papers.

The Hurricanes gave the Cougars a taste of what Eastern Washington and Louisiana Tech must have felt, as Miami humiliated Houston and sent the Cougars' aerial attack crashing to the ground.

First Texas, now Miami. When it comes to keeping up with the best in the conference or the nation, the Cougars have been given a double dose of reality.

However, the Cougars get a chance to salvage some pride Sept. 21 when they meet up with the Big Ten's Illinois in Champagne. Regional audiences can tune in to ABC-TV to see for themselves if the Run-and-Shoot really does work against a quality defense.

While hopes seem dashed now for a national title, the conference championship is still there for the taking.

It may not be the ultimate goal of the UH program, but playing in the Cotton Bowl would be a step in the right direction -- and a notch above last year's finish.

WOMAN ATTACKED FOR PURSE

BY STEVE GARRETT

UHPD is searching for a suspect who escaped early Thursday after robbing a female student.

Suba Kovilur, who was waiting for a police dispatch to pick her up, was approached by the suspect when she headed for the west side of the Social Work Building at 12:06 a.m. after being locked out of the facility's south entrance, Asst. Police Chief Frank Cempa said.

Kovilur, a graduate student in biology, caught sight of the suspect and began running, Cempa said.

Cempa said the suspect immediately overtook Kovilur, knocking her to the ground. He then took Kovilur's purse and swung it in her face, breaking her glasses and bruising her face and elbow, he said.

After the robbery, Kovilur went back to the Social Work Building and called UHPD, Cempa said.

UHPD officers searched for the assailant in the wooded area of the proposed Alumni Building. Officers were unable to find him; however, her purse and empty wallet were later found in lot 16B.

Kovilur was examined and found to have no broken bones. She was then escorted home by police.

Kovilur said she was upset something like this could happen on on campus and said she felt violated.

"The security is terrible," she said. "Everyone should be on the look out. I'm still in shock. You never think that this might happen to you."

Cempa described the suspect as a 6-foot-tall, 180-pound black male between 18 and 22 years old.

LATE, MORBID MEATYARD HAS EXTENSIVE EXHIBIT

OF LIFE'S WORK

BY STEVE GARRETT

Although late photographer Ralph Eugene Meatyard remained in relative obscurity during his lifetime, he developed a style that was considered radical for its time.

UH Art Department Chair David Jacobs recently put together the first major retrospective of the photographer, who has emerged as one of the innovators of abstract photography.

"He's a very rare photographer. A lot of people don't understand his art. There's a lot of pain and death in his art," Jacobs said.

Along with Barbara Tannenbaum, curator of Akron Art Museum, Jacobs has put together a show of the artist's highly-imaginative photographs that will be on display at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art from Sept. 6 through Nov. 10.

Meatyard, whose photographs overlap many genres within the art realm, is greatly respected by Jacobs and other art critics.

Some of his most acclaimed works focus on figurative scenes, portraits and landscapes. But he also experimented with abstract photography and unfocused pictures.

Meatyard was widely praised for the metaphorical images he created during the post-World War II era when the field of photography was flooded with photojournalism.

Some people are uncomfortable with many of his subjects, Jacobs said. But Meatyard made it his trademark to deal extensively with potentially painful subject matter -- especially later in his career.

Meatyard was diagnosed with terminal cancer in 1970 and died two years later.

Although Jacobs enjoyed immersing himself in the photographer's work while he selected the photos for the show, he said he wonders if he went too far.

"It was a wonderful experience. We had to look at 5,000 pictures and choose the best 150," he said. "Biographers talk about falling in love with their subjects.

"His whole life was open to us, including family dynamics. We were also allowed to read his journals. It's very strange to immerse yourself with a dead man's life."

Jacobs said he gained a lot of respect for Meatyard after studying his art 10 years ago. But after delving into Meatyard's life while preparing for the retrospective, Jacobs surfaced with a greater understanding of the photographer.

"His photos have a very large feel to them," Jacobs said. "(Meatyard) had a fire burning in his belly."

FRATERNITY MEMBERS TO VACATE HOUSE

BY DAI HUYNH

Responding to the barrage of alleged physical threats made against Sigma Alpha Epsilon members, the organization is packing up and moving out of its current residence, an SAE official said.

Concerns for the welfare of SAE members prompted its officials to temporarily close down the house, located at 3036 South MacGregor Way, until things cool down, SAE Advisor Greg Robertson said.

In the wake of SAE's Aug. 24 party, in which UH-Downtown student Carrin Huber's finger was bitten off during a fight, South MacGregor residents and fraternity members have been embroiled in a widely-publicized conflict.

"We think there's a dangerous situation. Within the last few days the fraternity has had phone threats to harm brothers, and in the last week or so we have had incidents where people have driven by discharging firearms at the fraternity house," he said.

A couple of days ago, the Texas Epsilon Housing Corp., an organization consisting of local alumni members who own and operate SAE property, voted to shut down the residence for 60-90 days, allowing time for the national chapter to decide whether they want to reorganize, probate or suspend the local organization, Vice President of Student Affairs Elwyn Lee said.

During this period, there will be no meetings or parties by SAE members, he said.

Robertson said fraternity members who are currently occupying the house will be relocated when it is feasible. It is unclear how long the house will be closed down, but it is the only responsible action to take given the dangerous situation, he said.

This dangerous environment for members and people living near the property is a direct result of the house's neighbors' false and misleading statements about the fraternity's behavior, Robertson said.

He added that neighbor Paul Pendleton's damaging allegations about the fraternity are motivated by his financial interest in the organization's property.

"He has verbally conversed with me that he is interested in acquiring the fraternity property. Most people don't realize that these complaints aren't coming from unbiased homeowners; they're coming from people that have a direct interest in the fraternity house," Robertson said.

Pendleton said SAE uses that defense to smoke-screen the real issues, and he insists he has never made a formal proposal to acquire the property.

Pendleton said the kind of violence SAE has generated in the past creates its own volatile situation.

He said it is a genuine relief that SAE will no longer be allowed to conduct their unruly activities.

"We would like that place closed down permanently. We consider it a nuisance and a threat to our safety," Pendleton said.

Despite the removal of SAE members, the South MacGregor Civic Club has elected to hire a full-time security guard for its neighborhood, he said.

"We didn't have a choice. It's a terrible financial burden, but the threat is too great," Pendleton said.

Currently, UH is gathering data and sending out inquiries asking for an account of the fight that caused Huber's finger to be severed. The incident acted as a catalyst for the university to open an investigation into SAE's activities.

During the Aug. 24 party, Huber and her boyfriend, Kevin Schramm, were asked repeatedly to leave the house by SAE President Steve Ferro. Instead of complying, she became violent and assaulted Ferro, Robertson said.

In the process of defending himself, a large-scale fight broke out and Huber's finger was severed, Robertson said.

Ferro has filed charges of assault against Huber and Schramm.

The fraternity is also considering legal courses against the couple, he said.

ANALOG INTERFACE FOR NEW PHONES?

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

Telephone system experts' opinions differ whether it will be possible for dorm residents to use their own answering machines when UH's new digital phone system becomes operational.

In a previous Daily Cougar article from August 28, dormitory and officials of the Rolm Co., contractors of the new phone system, said the system and equipment would not interface with standard analog phone peripherals, like the answering machines and speaker phones many residents already own.

The possibility of having to subscribe to special services at additional charges has worried some handicapped students who cannot use handsets.

However, Rolm Systems Engineering Manager Edgar Bartolo, said the new system can support analog equipment if a special computer card, called an analog switch, is plugged into the system.

Without this card, students who depend on answering machines would be forced to subscribe to the digital equivalent, Phonemail. The Phonemail equipment will be provided by Rolm at an extra charge.

Residential Life and Housing officials could not be reached for comment as to whether residents would be given the option of having an analog switch for their phones or whether this option would come at an additional charge.

UH Director of Telecommunications Gary McCormack said some analog switches are being installed for the campus at-large to operate fax machines and other equipment, but added he wasn't aware whether any of the same switches were going into the dormitory phone system.

Tom Kayser, a 12-year veteran of the telecommunications field familiar with Rolm's digital systems, said there's is no reason residents can't have the analog option.

He further said that once the switches are in place, the analog service need not be restricted to one particular room. The software controlling the system can be altered to route the service to any room.

"They (answering machines) really are (essential to living in today's society) and a lot of the communication going on out of your phone at home is already digital and your answering machine still works," said Curtis Johnson, dean of technology.

Johnson said many companies have strived to make their digital systems "transparent" to the consumer so they already interface with existing equipment.

UH ARTISTS FEATURED

BY CHRIS ENGLISH

It's time to pull out the berets and broaden your minds because this weekend seems to be devoted to those artistically inclined or at least inclined towards those artistically inclined.

DiverseWorks kicks off its 1991-1992 performance season with New York's BLUE MAN GROUP performing several pieces tonight at 8 p.m. and Saturday at 9:30 pm.

The main performance, entitled "Tubes," is a percussion piece involving plastic pipes and tubing in different configurations, based on African-Latin rhythms.

In another piece, an audience member is taken backstage, hung upside down, painted black and swung against a large canvas. That's what I like, audience participation. I guess that's what they mean by becoming a part of your work. In another, an audience member joins the troupe on stage for dinner.

Sounds like fun, but if you're going to go, be early. Tickets will be sold at the door only, beginning one hour before the show. Ticket prices are $12 and $10 for DiverseWorks members.

Also Saturday at DiverseWorks is the opening of Contemporary Issues, an exhibit organized by Robert Bourdon, our very own professor of sculpture at UH. The exhibit features 22 artists all current or former students of yes, you got it, UH.

The exhibit will focus on the artists' reflections about current social and environmental issues.

The opening reception is Saturday, Sept. 14, from 7 to 9 p.m. The show will run through Oct. 27, with a round-table discussion about the issues raised by the exhibit sometime in October. DiverseWorks and DiverseBooks are normally open Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.

PONIES ON LONG ROAD BACK

BY MIKE ROSEN

It's been a long road back from the death penalty for the Mustangs of Southern Methodist.

After going 2-9 in 1989, their first year back on the field, the Ponies slipped to 1-10 last season; not the direction they

had intended.

Their climb back into the ring has been led by now junior quarterback Mike Romo, who last year averaged 251 yards passing per game, good for a number 17 ranking among the nation's passers.

That was a dropoff, however, from 1989 status, when Romo was ranked 11th in the country. Thirteen interceptions last year were his downfall.

Romo underwent knee surgery in the off-season, and he hopes to be back to lead SMU to its first conference win since before the death penalty.

The Ponies began 1991 in the same fashion they ended the '90 campaign, with a loss to Arkansas.

SMU led for most of the game, but the Razorbacks came from behind in the fourth quarter to pull out a 17-6 victory.

Tomorrow's opponent, Vanderbilt, is a good bet to be the Ponies' first victim this year. The Commodores were the only team to lose to SMU last season, 44-7 on opening day.

Their only other wins have come against Connecticut and North Texas. And with the rest of the Southwest Conference becoming even more competitive, it could be quite some time before SMU makes a dent in the win column in its own conference.

A NEW CIRCUS COMES TO TOWN

BY SALLY POUNCY

From the creative team of Victoria Chaplin and Jean Baptiste Therree comes the minimalistic circus, Le Cirque Invisible.

This circus is not like any other circus known to man. The biggest show on earth it is not, the smallest show maybe.

Chaplin, Therree and their son, James Spencer Therree, are the performers in this imaginary circus, which is being performed at the Alley Theater until Sept. 18.

Houston is lucky to have the Invisible Circus come to town. The only other place in the United States to see it was Boston, Mass., one month ago.

The Invisible Circus is the most recent evolvement of Chaplin and Therree's Le Cirque Bonjour, which premiered in Avignon, France in 1971. That show toured the world, delighting crowds with a huge cast of men, lions, dogs and monkeys.

Nowadays the cast has dwindled down to three performers and several unruly barn-yard animals.

The essence of a large circus has not been lost on the small cast. As if by magic, Chaplin transforms herself into many different creatures, including a dragon, a horse and an ostrich. She is the daughter of comic film legend Charlie Chaplin.

Therree clowns around the stage in brightly colored costumes, performing magic tricks and juggling various objects. He joined a circus when he was 17 years old.

James Spencer Therree has been touring and studying with his parents since the age of 2. He flies through the theater like a soaring bird, delighting audiences with a floating ball and driving a bicycle backward.

Le Cirque Invisible is a grand journey for the imagination. Persons of old and young will delight at the magic of these performers, who remove their audience from everyday life and place them in a world of wonder.

BIOLOGIGAL DIFFERENCE IN HOMOSEXUALS FOUND?

HYPOTHALAMUS CELLS CENTER OF INVESTIGATION

BY MAURY HAMMOND

A researcher presented evidence last week that homosexuality in males may, in part, be biologically determined.

Simon LeVay, a neuroscientist with the Salk Institute in San Diego, found that a cluster of cells in the brains of male homosexuals is much smaller than those of heterosexuals.

This evidence could add weight to the claims of some homosexuals who feel their orientation is somehow caused by a physical, innate difference rather than by their own choice or social environment.

"If the study is replicated, it could have huge scientific and social implications," said Arnold Eskin, a research scientist at UH.

In studying the brains of 41 men and women, including 19 homosexual men, LeVay, who is gay, found that within the hypothalamus, a specific cluster of cells from the homosexual males, were much smaller compared to those of the heterosexuals. The hypothalmus is an area of the brain that produces pituitary hormones and governs sexual response and mating behavior.

LeVay found that in homosexual men, part of the anterior hypothalamus has an anatomical form similar to that found in women, rather than the form typically found in heterosexual men. Although other studies have reported biological differences between the brains of the two groups, this is the first to locate a difference in the hypothalamus.

The cell cluster in the hypothalamus of heterosexual men, the study found, is about the size of a grain of sand. The same cluster in the hypothalmus of women and homosexual men is small to almost non-existent.

Whether these differences imply an absolute determination of sexual orientation or simply give some hint that the brains between the two groups will always be different in every case is a question that requires further study.

LeVay admits science does not yet know the precise function of the area of the brain he studied. However, studies in monkeys have shown when that particular area of the brain is destroyed, male monkeys lose sexual interest in females. A similar affect has also been observed in rats.

William Simon, a sociologist at UH, calls the LeVay findings the height of reductionism.

"These findings fall somewhere between absurdity and nonsense," Simon said, who specializes in sexual behavior.

"The study assumes that there is a direct link between biological attributes and subsequent behavior. I believe the cause for homosexuality will not be found in the brain, but rather, in the mind," he said.

LeVay, however, has stated the hypothalamus may not be the only part of the brain that directs sexual behavior or orientation, saying it could well be there is a part of the brain that directs sexual behavior toward men.

Some scientists think the findings would begin to suggest why male homosexuality is present in most human populations regardless of cultural sanctions.

"That is simply not true," Simon said. "Sambian boys have been observed to be taken from their mothers at age six and kept with single men of a tribe until puberty. "During that time they are forced to perform oral sex with their elders. At puberty they become the elders and the process reverses."

Simon said the Sambian boys are confined to this environment until they are ready for marriage.

"They then go on to have normal marriages and show no adverse effects -- no real sexual disposition toward men," Simon said.

Neurobiological research has shown sexual behavior has much to do with the actions of certain hormones released through the hypothalamus.

Eskin, while conceding there is still much to learn about the functions of the brain, said much research has determined many behaviors are "hard-wired." He said levels of certain hormones could be affected either by some genetic predisposition or by changes in an individual's environment.

"The thrust should be what is the origin or cause of these hormonal changes. Some levels of hormones are very sensitive to the environment of an individual," Eskin said.

"Changes in hormonal levels could be an effect of genetics."

However, Eskin questions whether these effects are changeable. If they are genetic or precoded, they are set in concrete, he said.

"Society will have to find ways to deal with the outcome," Eskin said. "If the changes are found to be an effect of environment, then, it might be changeable. We still don't know whether the genetic code produces hormonal changes."

Replication of studies in scientific research is important because it allows other scientists in the same field to reproduce the experiments and find for themselves whether or not the conclusions published are valid. Eskin said it will be years before his findings can be verified in this fashion.

MIAMI DEFENSE DROWNS COOGS; RUN-AND-SHOOT

GETS SHOT DOWN

BY JAVIER GONZALEZ

MIAMI--Houston became the 39th straight team to fall prey to Miami in the Orange Bowl, as the Hurricanes embarrassed the Cougars 40-10 in front of a national television audience.

From the beginning, Houston hurt itself with penalities and missed tackles. The offensive line could not protect Klingler long enough to find his receivers. When he did have time they dropped the ball.

Klingler completed 32 of 59 passes for 216 yards and one touchdown. He was sacked five times and was not intercepted.

"There's no excuses, we got beat," Klingler said. "It would have been great if we would have won, but Miami outmanned us."

When Miami wasn't stopping Houston, the Cougars were stopping themselves. Houston racked up 14 penalties for 156 yards.

"We have to iron things out," said Head Coach John Jenkins. "There were too many penalties. We became gun-shy."

This marks the second time the Cougars have blown a chance to show the nation what they are made of. They drop to 1-2 in the Jenkins era on national television.

The Hurricanes drew first blood with a Martin Patton 2-yard touchdown run. Houston couldn't stop the bleeding as Miami scored on its next two possessions.

The Cougars couldn't mount any kind of offense. By the end of the first quarter, the Run-and-Shoot could only muster 13 total yards.

On the other side, Miami quarterback Gino Torretta looked like a Heisman candidate, throwing for 102 yards and one touchdown in the first quarter.

In the second quarter Torretta threw a 33-yard touchdown pass to Kevin Williams, capping Miami's 21-point outburst.

With 3:57 remaining in the half, Roman Anderson kicked a 25-yard field goal to put the Cougars on the board.

Torretta then launched a 71-yard touchdown bomb to Lamar Thomas making the score 28-3.

With two minutes to go, Miami capped its first half scoring when the ball went over UH punter Shane Langston's head and out of the end zone for a safety, making it 30-3.

In the third, Torretta and the Hurricane offense continued the onslaught with Torrettata throwing a screen pass to Williams on a UH all-out blitz.

He raced 51 yards untouched for another score.

Houston then drove to the Miami 13 yard line. Following a series of penalties, UH faced a 2nd-and-54 situation. After more penalties, this time by Miami, Houston turned the ball over on downs at the 12 yard line. After eight plays, Houston had gained one yard.

The Hurricanes added a 29-yard field goal by Carlos Huerta in the fourth quarter.

Houston avoided being shut out of the endzone when Klingler connected with Marcus Grant from seven yards out with three seconds remaining.