VOLLEYBALL NOTEBOOK

MULKEY LEADS COOG'S SPIKE FILLED ATTACK

BY MARTY HAJOVSKY

Someone throw some water on Ashley Mulkey.

The sophomore from Amarillo Tascosa hit .515 with 37 digs and 12 total blocks this weekend as the Cougars split two matches against Michigan State and Ball State at the LSU Invitational in Baton Rouge, La.

She currently leads the team in both hitting (.328) and blocking (24).

When Janelle Harmonson went down with a knee injury, Mulkey was pressed into a starting role and thoroughly impressed Head Coach Bill Walton. She hit .455-5-6 in the Cougars' 3-0 sweep of the Spartans, but she wasn't finished yet.

The "Thrillo" from Amarillo came back the next day, hit .545 and recorded career highs in kills (14) and digs (29) as the netters lost a closely fought five-game match.

If she doesn't get Southwest Conference Player of the Week honors for her effort, they ought to just stop giving out the award.

"Ashley's playing great," Walton said. "We keep forgetting that Ashley's only a sophomore.

"She is really growing by leaps and bounds. I mean, she had 29 digs against Ball State," he said. "Who else on our team had more than 15?"

The answer, coach, is nobody. If Mulkey keeps improving at this rate, in two years Flo Hyman might be hearing some footsteps in the UH record book.

The Cougars stood at 5-3 going into Tuseday night's home opener against Lamar.

Last year's WIVC champions have their sights set high going into this season, but all in all it's tragic to think they might be better off playing on the road.

Attendance was dismal for the Cougars last year, but, ladies and gentlemen, this is one exciting team.

They have three players hitting over .300 and Karen Bell hasn't even gotten on track yet.

Even though Bell has started out slow, last year's U.S. Olympic Festival star might just hve turned a corner with a .333-19-1 performance against Ball State.

This weekend's tourney, the Houston Invitational, is the first one UH has hosted since 1989. All matches will be played in Jeppeson Fieldhouse at the south end of Robertson Stadium because of a Hofheinz Pavilion conflict.

Army, Southwestern Louisiana and Southwest Texas will make the trip to the Bayou City. The first game will pit USL against SW Texas at 5:30 p.m. Houston will face Army in the night game at 7:30 p.m.

*******************************************************

RUGBY GROWING IN POPULARITY

BY KEITH ROLLINS

For Cougar sports fans looking for something new, UH has several successful club sports competing across Texas.

Club sports like rugby, soccer and lacrosse are little-known but very real.

"For clubs that have lasted so long for so many years, it's unbelievable to me that students don't know more about us," Rugby Captain Ron Gall said.

At a university that has trouble attracting football crowds, fan support at a club sport game is a terrific disadvantage.

"Sure we want people to come and see us play, but what we would really like is for those students with extra time to come out and get involved." Gall said. "If students just realized the competitive spirit and fun atmosphere associated with club sports, they would certainly join."

The UH Athletic Department recognizes club sports as competitive activities involving student supervisors and players that participate in leagues with other universities like Texas A&M and Rice.

Assistant Athletic Director Rookie Dickenson said the department helps the club sports any way it can.

"The club sports are allocated with funds stemming from student service fees," Dickenson said. "We give them all we can, but most of the expenses are student funded."

Interest in club sports has expanded throughout Texas, and competition is growing fierce between schools.

"Of course, we have a few tough rivals, but our teams are in great shape," Gall said. "We also portray a lot of pride so we can usually compare with, and beat most teams."

The rugby team has a 50 percent success rate. The team plays at Sam Houston Sept. 14 and returns home to meet St. Mary's University Sept. 21 behind Hofheinz Pavilion.

RATIONED ENGLISH CLASSED CAUSE DELAYS

BY GAYLE WEISS

Each semester, all across the city, suspense builds as UH students check the mail for their class schedules. Students slowly peel away the envelopes, hoping not to see the three dreaded words -- "All sections closed."

In recent years, getting into a freshman- or sophomore-level English classes has become close to impossible. It appears that each semester less sections are offered, and more students get crammed into each class, students said.

English department officials said, overcrowding can be blamed on two things -- lack of funding and the fact that students are not willing to be flexible when planning their schedules.

Nancy Tynan, coordinator of lower-division studies for the UH English department, said there are not enough rooms available during peak hours on campus to open any more sessions.

"If there aren't any more rooms, you can't add more classes," Tynan said.

The English department sets a quota of 162 students per large lecture class, and no more than 27 students per small section, Tynan said. This gives instructors a chance to interact with the student, she said.

She said students do not realize how lucky they are to be taught in this manner.

"Professors do not, as a rule, teach freshman English classes," she said.

Tynan did not disclose exact classroom size figures, but said English classes never go more than one or two people above the quota.

However, four freshman- and sophomore-level teaching assistants, who did not want to be identified, said they have more than 30 students in some of their small sections.

"I'm not saying that they go over that much," one of the teaching assistants said. "It's usually only three or four students over, but even that can limit open discussion."

Jimmy Youngblood, a sophomore majoring in chemical engineering, said he was upset to find out his English class this semester was overcrowded.

"When I walked into my first large lecture English class, there were no seats," he said. Youngblood said he had to join about 20 other students who were sitting on the floor.

Sharon Wang, a junior majoring in microbiology, said the lack of English classes and overcrowding causes problems for students who need a particular class to graduate.

"I priority registered and could not get a single English class," Wang said. "So what was I supposed to do? Because I knew that I would be put back without this class, I was forced to take it in summer school."

Some students are not as fortunate as Youngblood and Wang. Often students have to wait years before getting a space in the class of their choice.

David Priest, a junior majoring in psychology, said the classes he needed to complete his English requirements were closed for several semesters.

"After three semesters, I still have not gotten my English classes," Priest said. "When I went to regular registration and add/drop, all of the sophomore English classes were full."

The overcrowding in these classes can also interfere with the learning process, Youngblood said.

"It is almost impossible to concentrate in such surroundings," Youngblood said. "The mere rustling of papers and whispering is enough to distract even the most attentive student."

Dorothy Z. Baker, a UH assistant professor of English, said she feels that a smaller English class is definitely better.

"If you have individual contact with the students, you get their immediate perceptions of literature," she said. "Honing critical skills is done best in dialogue."

Such detailed discussion would be close to impossible in a class of more than 150, as opposed to much more intimate classes of 25 or so, she said.

"It is exciting to go into a class knowing you are going to get 20 different views of a particular text," she said. "You get that spark when learning occurs."

PHILOSOPHY'S FREELAND DIRECTS NEW PROGRAM

Women's issues, roles and history now have a unified voice with a Women's Studies Minor and Director Cynthia Freeland at the helm.

"We want to add the perspective of gender to the traditional curriculum and to analyze and investigate women's contributions to culture," Freeland said. "Our goal is to promote scholarship of the highest quality and a coherent and meaningful community spirit."

UH College of Humanities and Fine Arts interim Dean James Pipkin said his "sense of excitement about the program and its significance to the university stems from the wide range of expertise."

Pipkin said contributions to the minor range from history and anthropology to the law fields.

"You can tell from the size of attendance (at the reception), it reflects the campus-wide interest in the minor," Pipkin said. "The roles and dimensions of the program were confirmed by the crowd."

Freeland credited Pauline Hewlett and Sigma Tau Delta, the International English Honor Society, for making this minor possible.'

The group organized a panel in November 1988 to explore the question of whether UH needed a Women's Study Program.

Because of the English honor society's work, faculty members developed a Faculty Interest Group, Freeland said. In turn, the faculty group encouraged the senior vice president for Academic Affairs to appoint a Women's Study Program Committee, which took on the task of how the program would be implemented.

The committee determined there were sufficient courses and tenured faculty to offer the minor. At least 12 tenured faculty members teach undergraduate courses which qualify as women's studies courses.

The Undergraduate Council approved a minor in Women's Studies in November, and the search was conducted for a director from among existing faculty. Freeland was chosen in August as the new program's first director.

"Cynthia will make this a sterling program," Hewlett said.

Freeland said there are currently about 60 people who learned about the minor by word-of-mouth and have already declared. The women's studies minor is not listed in the fall schedule, but will make its first appearance the course catalogue published in the spring, Freeland said.

"It's been a long time in coming," Freeland said.

Freeland, a philosophy professor, is currently working out of her old office, but will relocate to the program's offices in room 504, E. Cullen when they have been painted.

Freeland said she hopes to have an official opening for the new program during October's Celebrating Diversity Week.

Freeland said she plans to use her contacts to network within the city and let women know what their career possibilities are through the new program. She also wants to provide mentors to women in the program.

Students choosing a minor in Women's Studies have 16 different courses to choose from. The minor consist of 15 advanced hours from these course offerings and a minimum of 2.00 grade point average.

More than 60 faculty, staff and students attended a reception in the Brown Room of M.D. Anderson Library Friday in honor of the program and Freeland.

SA VEEP THROWS HAT INTO CITY COUNCIL RACE

BY ANTON P. MONTANO

Students' Association Vice President Andrew Monzon officially filed for candidacy Tuesday to run against incumbent city councilman Larry McKaskle in District A this fall.

"I'm doing this because I believe in it, not because it looks good on a resume," Monzon said.

Monzon, a 21-year-old senior majoring in history, is the only candidate to challenge the 61-year-old McKaskle who has been in office since 1970.

He said he has a group of about 20 people helping with the campaign and said it will be a cost-effective one.

"I'm going to be talking to city groups and sending out faxes and letters," Monzon said. "And I'll never avoid going door-to-door."

Monzon said the subject of term limitation for city council members was one factor in his decision to seek office.

"McKaskle is on record for supporting term limitation," Monzon said. "But he's been on the council for more than 20 years.

"It's political doublespeak for him to run again," Monzon said. "He should resign. I pledge I will not serve more than three terms."

McKaskle could not be reached for comment.

Monzon said he would work to encourage community involvement to solve Houston's problems if elected.

"As a whole, my ethic is essentially populism," Monzon said. "It means that people are going to have to take the initiative."

Monzon said he would make himself available to talk with Houston residents at town meetings. "This activism is about creating the movement," Monzon said. "It's about actually showing up at City Hall and putting forth community involvement to solve problems. The impetus has to be the people."

Monzon said he would work to increase the pay of Houston firemen and policemen, increase recycling efforts, help the homeless and promote education about drugs, prenatal care and family planning.

"The civil servants here have received very low incremental raises below those of other cities in Texas," Monzon said.

"I'm prepared to take a reduction in salary of about 5 percent and donate it to a hospice or anything worthwhile," Monzon said.

Monzon said he would earn nearly $35,000 a year if elected.

Monzon said Houston needed to expand curbside recycling.

"Houston as a whole has had a problem with garbage," Monzon said. "Only the more wealthy neighborhoods seem to have any kind of curbside recycling program."

Monzon said the Houston community needed to look at the environmental and social problems that cause crime.

"I think politicians just use a lot of warm words to please people," Monzon said. "They'll say that they're in favor of increasing police protection. But, I think politicians don't really want to delve into the problems."

If elected to represent District A in northwest Houston, Monzon said he would resign from his position as vice president of SA.

In addition to the SA vice presidency, Monzon was chairman of the Progressive Student Network during the fall of 1990. He has also worked with Team Earth and Amnesty International.

SCULPTURE STUDENTS FEATURED IN EXHIBIT

BY STEVE GARRETT

An art show featuring UH sculpture students' perceptions of social and environmental issues opened on Sept. 14 at DiverseWorks.

The exhibit, called Contemporary Issues, was organized by UH sculpture professor Robert Bourdon. The exhibit highlights the problems of contemporary society and their effects, Bourdon said.

Bourdon, who has been teaching at UH for 10 years, said the exhibit gives students an opportunity to display their work in a professional setting.

"It's not like the bow-hunt gallery in the back of somebody's garage," Bordon said.

The show began as an exhibition on enviromental issues, but Bourdon expanded the idea after realizing the Houston art scene is overrun with shows of the same theme. So Bourdon expanded the show's perimeters to include social issues.

There are 22 artists featured in the show, all sculpture students who studied under Bourdon. Each artist deals in their own way with an issue they think is problematic in society, Bourdon said.

"A lot of the pieces deal with the environment, others center around greed. There are pieces that talk about politically correct thinking," Bourdon said. "There are also pieces on sexuality and the mores in our culture."

One student whose art is featured, Karen Garrett-Coon, dealt with the impact of the lack of recycling on the environment.

"My piece is a cardboard convenient store. It's a box inside a box," Garrett-Coon said. "It stresses overpackaging and how our fast-paced society is passing over recycling and destroying the enviroment."

Garrett-Coon said she felt honored to be chosen for the show, but at the same time a little pressured.

"I don't have a degree," she said. "It's like I'm `the now' as opposed to `the then.'"

Anne Katrosh, another of the show's featured sculptors, chose to do her piece on genetic mutation from radiation treatment. Her sculpture was dedicated to Dr. Henry J. Muller, who won the 1946 Nobel Prize in science for his work on the hereditary affects of X-rays on genes.

"He did a lot of experiments in the science field and figured out the inherent problems in the technology," Katrosh said.

Katrosh, a two-year sculpture student, said she was flattered to be picked as a featured artist. She said the show indicates the work produced by the sculpture department.

Bourdon began teaching sculpture at UH with only eight students. Since then, the department has grown in both the number of students and the quality of their work.

"Now there are maybe 80 to 100 students in the department. Our students have won 26% of the (national) grants since this department's inception at UH. They have also won 11 percent of all the Dallas museum grants. The museum grants money all over Texas," Bourdon said.

$1 MILLION OFFERED FOR ELVIS VISTITATION

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

Elvis parachutes into a New Hampshire greyhound park. But wait! He's also been sighted at a Texas grocery store. Or maybe he's running a fishing camp in Montana.

Robert Cole, a professor of pop culture, has heard them all, or at least a good many stories in which the late, great rock 'n' roll singer played a dominant role. Alive, of course.

According to Cole, Elvis has been spotted at Burger Kings, shopping malls and grocery stores everywhere from Montana to Texas to Hinsdale, N.H. And he should know -- he keeps track of Elvis sightings as part of his research.

Cole, an expert in American history and music of the 1960s, said he thinks the Elvis sightings stemfrom a lack of inspiration in modern-day American society from leaders, musicians and other powerful figures. Elvis died in 1977.

"Energy, imagination, boyish enthusiasm for life. That's just some of what Elvis represents. People are attempting to recover that in some way," said Cole, a professor at Ripon College in Wisconsin. "We can all see Elvis in our mind's eye, but only the crazies see him in a shopping mall and talk to him."

Cole said he finds Elvis fun to study and says the King is "significant to American culture."

"I think primarily it's this latent desire for what Elvis represents inhis music and his lifestyle," Cole said.

Cole calls the Elvis is Alive phenomenon just "wish fulfullment." He said that until society can find another figure as inspirational as Elvis, sightings and books about the sightings will continue.

"We are so much on the edge of this type of thing," Cole said. "The breakup of communism might inspire it. Until then, we're left with visions of Elvis."

Take, for instance, the recent contest sponsored by the Hinsdale Greyhound Park in New Hampshire, which offered $1 million if Elvis (wherever he is) showed up Labor Day weekend posing on a stage set up in the infield.

As it turned out, Elvis was a no-show.

"We hired this (public relations) agency to promote our Labor Day races," says Chip Ainsworth, park public relations director. "One of the guys thought of offering Elvis a million dollars when he was reading the tabloid covers in the grocery store."

Being of sound mind and body -- and knowing that Elvis is dead -- the men agreed to the promotion.

QUAYLE SPARKS CONTROVERSY WITH REMARKS

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

When Vice President Dan Quayle told American Bar Association members last month that America has too many lawyers, he stirred the coals of controversy. And professors and alumni at UH have mixed feelings about it.

Attorney Marvin Nathan, UH alumnus and partner in the Nathan, Wood and Sommers law firm, said the vice president's comments are very troubling.

"It's really distressing because he is a representative of the administration and its attitude towards the profession," Nathan said.

While Nathan concedes there is an abundance of lawyers, he said the populous in general is well served by the situation.

The increasing competitive employment trends in Texas' region force lawyers who are unable to enter firms to go into private practice, Nathan said.

"What society is going to enjoy is a more comptetitive market, possibly in terms of efficiency and cost," he said.

"I think it has been the ability of parties to be represented by counsel that has kept our nation free."

But despite any surplus of lawyers that may exist, "lawyers are still kept pretty busy," he said.

Constitutional law professor Sidney Buchanan has a slightly different view.

"In one sense, I think he is right -- I think our nation is too litigious. Collectively we are too ready to vindicate our rights in the court system rather than search for some alternative resolution.

"In another sense, he is wrong in that there are many unmet legal needs in society. The needs of those who lack the funds to to pay to fulfill them," Buchanan said.

And, Quayle probably had a political motive in making the statement, he said.

"Quayle and his advisors sense an unrest among the people with the way the legal system operates. He wants too seize and lay claim to the issue as his own to bolster his own public opinion rating," he said.

Finally, Buchanan said the efficiency of the legal system needs to be continually debated and that it is always a "healthy issue to insert."

Deborah Hirsch, director of placement at the UH Law Center said "It's a very competitive market out there and it has been impacted by the recession."

She said jurisprudence is still useful degree, but that future alumni will be looking for more and more non-traditional uses for the degree.

"People will be stretching the uses of the degree to the limits. You will see people using the degree to go into middle management positions in corporations and into banking," she said. "There are many opportunities beyond what you and I think of as traditional lawyering."

UH Law Center Assistant Cordinator of Admissions Kelley Fisher said the fall '91 first-year class had 3,600 applicants while only 305 entered full time and only 75 entered part time.

This is roughly a 400 to 600 applicant increase over the fall '90 entering class, and the trend is expected to continue.

DYNAMIC DRAMA OPENS AT KUUMBA HOUSE

BY CHRIS ENGLISH

Even though South Africa and that country's apartheid furor may have died in the media, both are still hot topics for the arts.

South Africa still has a voice in the arts, and one of those voices is Athol Fugard, an internationally acclaimed playwright who has written pieces such as the award-winning Blood Knot.

The Kuumba House Repertory Theatre will be performing Fugard's wrenching drama Boesman & Lena, the story of a homeless couple whose loss of identity and self-respect fuel the manipulative mind games they play upon each other.

Joseph Dixon plays Boesman, who seeks the succor of wine and the silence of his "woman," Lena. The mud is irrepressible to him, as stifling to him as the tiny confines of the ramshackle shanties he is forced to dwell in. Dixon exudes anger and frustration with that subtle ability to give silences as much weight as his words.

Lindi Yeni is opposite Khosa as an equally strong Lena, a woman who has become lost following the back of a man whose face she has long forgotten. She burns as she dances, sings, wails and flails across the intimate stage.

When not acting, Yeni is also the artistic executive director of Kuumba House.

"I didn't intend to take this part," she said. "But I always intended for Watts to guest direct Boesman and Lena. I liked his work when he directed Dutchman at Kuumba and admired his courage in 1985 when he did One, the first play done in Houston about AIDS.

"I love being directed by Joe Watts. I'm glad I'm doing Lena."

Under Watts' watchful eye, the play carries the same high-tension energy, that time-bomb intensity that Sam Shepherd plays are famous for.

Yingwana Khosa plays the enigmatic "Ol'timer" who pays a visit to their campfire.

The show opens Sept. 20 and will run through Oct. 13, 1991. Shows start at 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, Sundays at 5 p.m.

Remember that it's your chance to help the Kuumba House too, located at the Midtown Art Center, 3414 LaBranch St. at Holman St. Just five bucks with a student ID, so no excuses.

UH FANS REMAIN LOYAL DESPITE DISAPPOINTMENT

BY GENEVA MARTINEZ AND MARK SHEFFIELD

NEWS REPORTERS

Cheers of excitement and anticipation turned into moans of disappointment in front of televisions across the city last Thursday night when the Miami Hurricanes defeated the UH Cougars 40-10 live on ESPN.

Cougar fans gathered in pubs, restaurants and houses to watch the game that could have given the Cougars a chance to prove themselves against a nationally ranked team.

About 180 Houston fans gathered around the large-screen television in the Coog Cafe in the University Center. It was standing room only.

Minutes before the game, the crowd worked itself into a frenzy chanting "Go, Coogs!" Every time David Klingler showed up on the screen, the crowd let out howls of appreciation.

"The Coogs will have it if they're within 10 points at halftime," Eric Van Zandt, a senior edcuation major, said early in the game.

But the Cougars didn't have it.

"I showed up when the score was 30-3 and was heartbroken," said Cecilia Pequeno, a student in French literature, who watched the game at Spanky's Pizza, 7210 S. Loop East.

More than 100 fans, including students from UH Downtown, filled almost all of the tables and the bar at Spanky's.

Despite the loss, however, most fans at both locations stayed, eating drinking and cheering until the bitter end.

"I'm disappointed they lost," said Mario Reta, who watched the game at Spanky's. "But I know they will play a better game against Illinois."

UH DRAMA CHAIRMAN DIRECTS PLAY

BY SALLY POUNCY

Marriage.

Two people vow to love only one another for their entire lives.

Adultery.

One person does not live up to his or her end of the bargain.

Betrayal.

The play, at Stages Theater, journies backwards through a pitiful English love triangle.

Set in dreary old England, the story by Harold Pinter tells of three friends who constantly abuse one another verbally and emotionally with confessions of infidelity and lies.

The first scene places Emma and Jerry in a London pub during the spring of 1982. Here she tells Jerry she and her husband Robert are getting a divorce. She also confesses to having told her husband about the seven-year affair she and Jerry have had. Jerry, being Robert's oldest and best friend, begins to worry about how Robert is taking the news, so he asks Robert over for drinks that night to chat about the situation.

From that point on, the play plunges into a retrospective of the three lives. Minimal amounts of new information are discovered in the following acts which date back to 1973. The play rehashes the last few years of the characters' lives.

Director Sidney Berger, chair of the UH drama department, does as much as he can with the script. The actors rarely get caught in the audience's blind spots, and the play comes in at under two hours.

Using black and white signs with years printed on them to indicate time, Berger guides his cast through the retrostoryline while subtly accentuating the English humor in the script with demure gestures from the actors.

The cast of Betrayal features tremendously talented and highly respected local actors. Malinda Bailey portrays Emma with passion and zest. She craftily constructs Emma from a cold, manipulative woman to a wreckless wife who wants excitement in her life.

Rutherford Craven plays Robert, the angry husband of Emma. Craven beguiles the audience away from Bailey when he appears with her. He gives Robert a slicing edge of anger. Craven erupts when he is mad and delivers a jolly laugh when happy. His British accent is on again/off again, but not much is lost.

Finally, James Gale comes down from his Shakespearean plateau to work in this modern-day British theatrical tragedy. Unfortunately, Gale doesn't leave his intense acting baggage at the door of the theater. His accent is great, but humorous moments are lost on him because of his severity.

Betrayal, a comic drama by British playwright Harold Pinter dries up in the Texas theater. The humor becomes hard to find, and the production ends up dragging.

Betrayal runs through Oct. 13 and the curtain goes up at 8 p.m. at Stages Theater, 3201 Allen Pkwy.