CHEF TEAM PAYS VISIT TO HILTON

HRM MAJORS GET CULINARY LESSONS FROM U.S. TEAM

BY JON DAUGHTRIDGE

UH students gained valuable hands-on experience by working with a dozen of the nation's top chefs on Saturday.

Students from the Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management worked one-on-one with members of the United States' 1992 Culinary Team.

"It was nice to see a kitchen run the way it should be run," said Dean Lerner, a graduate student seeking his masters in HRM. "A chef is a sense of being, a commitment. If you are committed, it shows."

The chefs are members of the team that will compete in the International Culinary Competition held in Frankfurt, Germany every four years. The contest, commonly called the "Culinary Olympics," will be held next in October 1992.

Chefs on the team are from all over the country, from Illinois to Oregon and West Virginia to Pennsylvania. Jeff Graves, director of operations at the Hilton college described the chefs as "the best of the best."

The team practices together once a month, usually in their headquarters at Walt Disney World. There they have three state-of-the-art competition kitchens, which they can configure to their needs. Corporate sponsors provide the team with a $1.2 million budget over the four years between competitions.

Lerner and 12 of his fellow students spent four days slicing, dicing and making other preparations for a gourmet meal, which was served to guests who paid $100 a ticket on Sept. 21. But the HRM students' elaborate preparations paid off when Team USA leaders praised their work.

"Exposure will give the students a standard," Team Manager Keith Keogh said. "They will have a high standard to reach for."

The students hope the experience is something that will help them get a job once they have graduated.

"I've already used this experience on a resume," junior HRM major Matthew Delaney said.

*******************************************************

TEEN DRINKING MAJOR NATIONAL HEALTH PROBLEM

BY SONIA SBEITI

Even though minors are not legally allowed to drink until they are 21, this hasn't stopped them from purchasing alcohol at bars, restaurants and liquor stores.

A recent report commissioned by U.S. Surgeon General Antonia Novello shows loopholes in federal and state laws that allow opportunities for minors across the nation to possess and consume alcohol.

Houston's MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers) Director Penny Ellsworth confirms that underage drinking has become a serious problem on roads and highways throughout the country.

"Statistics show the biggest majority of people who die on the street are between the ages of 16 and 21," she said.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Association's July 1991 statistics show that 45.8 percent of the minors in Harris County between the ages of 15 and 19 who died in traffic accidents last year were killed in alcohol related incidents.

Ellsworth, whose son was killed three years ago by an intoxicated driver, works with the victims of these accidents. She said 196 people were killed in drunk driving accidents last year in Harris County alone.

Almost 11 percent of the deaths were caused by people in their teens, Ellsworth said. She also cited statistics that show 500 people are put on probation for DWI each month in Harris County.

Alcohol law enforcement is not stressed by the states, so it adds to the alcohol problem, Novello said.

The surgeon general noted that five states and the District of Columbia allow minors to purchase alcohol, and in another 21 states, minors are not barred from consuming it. Minors are able to sell and serve alcoholic beverages without adult supervision in 44 states.

"The laws are there and they need to be enforced," Ellsworth said. "Lots of parents go out and buy beer for kids and bars sell alcohol to minors."

One of the main dangers of alcohol consumption is the alcohol poisoning that people can overdose on, she said. Teens don't realize it is an addictive drug and kills many people, she said.

Penalties for those who consume alcohol range from counseling programs to revoking driving licenses. Ellsworth said the best way to handle it is to enforce penalties with maximum jail terms, fines and suspensions.

Minors who consider driving under the influence of alcohol should be wary. The first offense for alcohol-related accidents includes a fine of $100 to $2000, a jail term of 72 hours to two years, participation in a counseling program and license suspension.

The second offense includes a $300 to $2000 fine, a mandatory 72 hours in jail, a jail term of 15 days to two years and a six-month to two-year license suspension.

The third offense, a felony, includes a $500 to $2000 fine, 30 days to two years in jail(10 days mandatory) and 60 days to five years in prison with the possibility of a probated sentence of six days to five years.

If someone was injured in the accident, then 30 days in jail is mandatory. If someone was killed, then a mandatory 120 days jail will be enforced, with the possibility of a two to 10 year sentence and a fine up to $5,000.

BETTER LEI'D THAN NEVER AT THE VAT

BY CHRIS ENGLISH

That blue norther this weekend not only blew in some welcome cool Thursday, but the Northern Pikes as well. Bryan Potvin, their lead guitarist, called from San Antonio.

"I'm at the Alamo," he said. "Well, close to it at least. It's about a stone's throw away," Bryan confessed.

"Have you tried?"

"What?

"Never mind. Anyway, how do you like Texas?"

"It's kind of cool, actually. I'm wearing a jacket."

The fivesome should be used to the cold. The Northern Pikes hail from Saskatoon, a tiny little town of about 10,000 in the tundras of the Saskatchewan province of Canada. It's surprising that in an arctic waste a talent like the Pikes could flower.

Celebrating their eighth year together in January, the band has risen out of their humble beginnings in the depths of Jay Semko's basement to the top of charts, with their first single, "Things I Do For Money" which appeared on their first album, Big Blue Sky in 1987.

Now out on the road with their third album, Snow in June on Scotti Bros. (who seem to be in kahootz with Virgin, Canada), the Pikes are at the pinnacle of their career. They are on a whirlwind tour of North America with the farm-fed Dread Zeppelin, in a seemingly throw-a-dart-at-the-map course.

I asked Bryan how they hooked up with Dread Zeppelin.

"I have no idea, actually."

This is turning out to be a much more fruitful tour than with Robert Palmer in 1989. Sunday night is a good example.

The Northern Pikes began the evening vespers at the Vatican with a wail and ended it with a wail. They played a set pulled from all three of their albums, the faster, more rocking tunes.

This was to keep in line with the gluttonous energy levels of Dread Zeppelin rather than being representative of the eclecticism of sounds in their new album, Snow in June.

The variety is mostly due to the plethora of songwriters in the band, from Jay Semko's ghostly "Green Fields" to Bryan Potvin's brawling "She Ain't Pretty."

"Everybody's writing songs. It's almost a contest," Bryan explained.

So far, Jay Semko's winning.

With breezy gusts of Hawaiian lap guitar blaring through the Vatican's p.a., Dread Zeppelin began its own contest -- to see how much lunacy they could get away with on stage. I think they won too.

"Tortelvis", the front man, led the frivolity as Dread Zeppelin took a decidedly Hawaiian theme. "Butboy", the bassist wore a grass skirt, and "Charles," Tortelvis's personal "stage valet," lei'd him after each song.

The band did its usual unusual blend of Led Zeppelin covers reggae-style with Elvis lyrics. Actually it's difficult to tell when they're doing Zeppelin covers with Elvis lyrics and when they're doing Elvis songs with Zeppelin lyrics as the sounds of Jimmy Page turn a new leaf and enter a book of a decidedly different cover.

Dread Zeppelin ended their set with a reggaed-version of "Stairway to Heaven" that would have left Bob Marley himself wailing.

If this has confused you, I've probably made my point clear.

SMALL TOWN BIG LAUGHS

BY SALLY POUNCY

The lights fade up from black as a woman stumbles on stage through a screen door into a kitchen. She walks into the room, stops, inhales and says "This place always did smell like ant poison."

That is the beginning of Main Street Theater's premier of the W. B. Whitehead play, Old Doves.

A native Texan, Whitehead has woven a tale about why people live, and leave small towns. Caddodoches Springs is the make-believe small town Whitehead created to bring to life the neurotic Fussell family.

In the play Hollis has returned to from Paris, France to Caddodoches Springs sober, for the wedding of her niece Lila Lee Fussell. However, on the morning of her arrival, she learns her niece won't be the bride.

From that point forward the play touches on practically every aspect of small town life, and one world- wide aspect. The characters talk of how gossip spreads faster than kudzu, and how townfolk can't understand why anyone would want to leave the backwards utopia of a small town. They get defensive toward outsiders and fume at anyone who criticizes their little piece of the world. Especially when the complaint is of the way the town disposes of environmentally hazardous materials.

Hollis, played by Patti Bean, is the catalyst between Rachel, played by Marcy Bannor, and the spirit of an old Caddo magic woman. These actresses breathe life into the characters. Bean triumphs as the independent, environmentally conscious Hollis, while Bannor glides along as the nervous, crystal-pushing housewife.

Steve Garfinkel portrays the disgusting country hick Ray Fussell. When Garfinkel sloughs around stage in his hunting camouflage, holding a 12 gauge shotgun, he reeks small town.

With the production, Robin Robinson has earned another notch in her directors belt. She had the actors holding props throughout the production, and the working kitchen sink was constantly in use, lending reality to the set. Robinson stages falls, fights and floggings all for laughs.

Old Doves is a funny play about small town life in a modern world. It has a conscience, a heart and a sense of humor; all the makings of a great evening.

Old Doves runs through Oct. 20 at Main Street Theater. Show time 8 p.m.

INTERNATIONAL TAS TO GET INSURANCE FEE WAIVED LATE

DEADLINE SET AT SEPT. 30 TO SAVE $190

BY DAI HUYNH

Protest from international graduate students spurred the university to extend its deadline allowing them to optionally waive their student health insurance until Sept. 30.

All international students are required to purchase their student health insurance from the university and are automatically billed for it on their fee statement, said Gail Pragger, assistant director of the Health Center.

But for the first time, state legislators have extended full employee insurance coverage to teaching assistants, providing international students who teach full time at the university with health insurance at no cost, said Adrianne Peck, executive assistant to the vice president for student affairs.

The state employee insurance fills the requirement of having to purchase health insurance for international student TAs. This permits the TAs the option of purchasing health insurance from the university or simply settling for the state employee insurance , Peck said.

Trouble reared its head when university-employed international students were not notified that they had the option to waive their student insurance, said an international teaching assistant, who requested to be unidentified, fearing that he may place his job at the university in jeopardy.

The $190 student insurance cost per semester is a significant amount of money for a doctoral student, he said.

"We expected to be told about our option, but we never were. I was really upset when we heard it through the grapevine from other students a day after the (Sept. 17) student health insurance waiver deadline," he said.

TAs affected by the dilemma immediately contacted the UH Health Center in an attempt to waive their student health insurance fee but to no avail, he said.

They then called President Marguerite Ross Barnett's office, and within an hour her office informed them that the deadline date had been extended to Sept. 30, he said.

Uncertainty about whether or not legislators would include TAs in the state's employee insurance plan prompted the university to continue charging them for their student health insurance, Peck said.

There was no way to get in contact with the international students about the waiver, Peck said.

"We have no way of knowing which international students are teacher assistants. It would of been an almost impossible situation," she said. "We extended the deadline to allow them time to make a decision. We did not realize that it was a problem until students came over there (the health center) after the waiver deadline."

STUDENTS CHARGING IN RECORD NUMBERS

AD CAMPAIGN SELLS STUDENTS ON CREDIT CARDS

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

The student loan check arrives, but the money always seems to run out before books are bought and fees are paid.

No problem. Charge them.

An outfit that's perfect for a weekend date is on sale, but it's still just just out of spending range.

Charge it.

The car breaks down. It needs a new gizmo.

Charge it.

In the college world of the 1990s, students are equipped with more than mom's chocolate chip cookies and clean sheets when they arrive on campus. Most have discovered they shouldn't leave home without a major credit card.

"We've found that students go on to be some of our best customers," said Gail Wasserman, American Express public affairs manager. "They perform no differently than our other chargeholders."

College Track Inc., a New York research firm specializing in the college financial market, estimates that about 68 percent of undergraduates possess a general credit card, according to March 1991 figures.

An estimated 4 million students are cardholders, according to estimates by banks, card companies and Credit Card News, a trade magazine.

The 68 percent figure shows a 7 percent increase since 1988, and College Track vice president Jim Knepper says that increase "is almost exclusively because of the (marketing) push" by creditors.

Although 7 percent may not sound like a lot, that figure represents an increase of 1.3 million people, according to Credit Card News.

Some of the cards commonly held by students are Discover, Visa, Mastercard and American Express.

"What we did about a year ago was start a nationwide direct-mailing campaign and a `Take One' display for students," said Amy Sudol, spokesperson for Chase Manhattan Bank, one of the largest student Visa and Mastercard creditors nationwide. "It was an excellent move for Chase to expand into the student market."

Chase isn't the only one. American Express has enticed students for a couple of years now with a bonus for card membership -- airplane ticket vouchers that give students significantly discounted airfare rates.

"We figure students travel a great deal so this is a way of giving them a benefit based on their lifestyle," Wasserman said.

Most of the credit and charge corporations offer students the same card benefits that other members receive, such as purchase protection, extended warranties and insurance on rental cars.

In addition, Chase, American Express and others also send student cardholders quarterly magazines and other publications that give them credit and money management tips.

"In school you're learning to budget a lot of things -- time, expenses and credit -- for the first time. We think (American Express) is a good first card because it's a pay-as-you-go system," Wasserman said.

American Express charges cardholders an annual fee ($55) and members avoid interest by paying their entire balance at the end of each month. Visa, Discover and Mastercard sometimes charge a smaller annual fee, but they always offer cardholders the option of paying off their balance at their own pace at a varied monthly interest rate.

Students, "have been very responsible users of credit," Sudol says.

Not only have students proved to be a stable short-term credit risk while in school, students also tend to pay off in the long run.

"Students, as they come out of school, will be making more money," Knepper says. "If (companies) can influence them now, they will most likely have a customer for life."

College Track estimates a student's monthly average bill at $94. Knepper says students have the same approximate default rate on credit cards as other adults.

Still, some worry about the temptation first-time cardholders face. Many students offer testimony to back-up those concerns.

The Ohio State Daily Lantern quoted senior Mary Ann Wargo as saying: "I used (a credit card) for my tuition, and then my car broke down and I had to use another card. Next I started buying clothes, and now my credit is up to the limit."

University of Maine student Tony Sierra wound up owing $2,400 on his Visa and Discover cards.

"I told myself I'd be rational with the cards, but then you start to think of it as a layaway," Sierra told The New York Times.

Sierra and Wargo are not alone.

Paul Ebert, president of the Consumer Credit Counseling Services of Central Ohio, says although the number of students in credit trouble isn't unusually high, some do encounter difficulties.

CCCS of Central Ohio is part of the National Foundation for Consumer Credit, which helps people solve debt problems, provides counseling and can establish debt repayment plans between people and their creditors.

"Having credit takes a lot of self-control," Ebert says. "Students don't have the substantial funds to pay (cards) off when they load them up."

COUGARS STORM THEIR WAY THROUGH HOME TOURNAMENT

MARTY HAJOVSKY

VOLLEYBALL NOTEBOOK

Marlin Fitzwater strides to the podium. Television cameras begin whirring.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the press. Operation Volleyball Storm has begun," he says.

Okay, okay, so it didn't quite happen that way last January. But if Fitzwater had been at Jeppesen Fieldhouse this weekend, even he might not have been able to resist the comparison.

The UH volleyball team, hosting its first tournament in two years, walked away with impressive victories over Army, Southwestern Louisiana and Southwest Texas, improving its record to 9-3.

With junior Janelle Harmonson hitting a blistering .364 with 44 kills, six blocks and 27 digs and southpaw junior Julie James launching her cruise missile spikes, Saddam Hussein had best be thankful he wasn't in the way this time.

The value of a lefty really can't be overstated. James' attacks freeze the defense in ways a righthander can't. When in the air, she can use the whole court, spread out the D and pick her spot. As sports commentator Frank De Ford once pointed out, "We've got a couple of lefties" is the sports equivalent of "We've got nuclear weapons."

Can anyone figure out how it was that Harmonson missed out on tourney MVP to SW Texas' DeAndrea Limbrick? All she did was ring up 22 kills an 18 digs in the championship match, critical to the title win. Hey, it's our tournament. We could have rigged it for Janelle, you know.

Regular starters Karen Bell and Karina Faber weren't about to miss out on the fun either. Bell recorded her second highest single match kill total with 16 against USL while hitting .314. Brazilian sophomore Faber joined Harmonson on the all-tournament team, hitting .268 with 49 kills, 14 digs and 13 blocks.

This is getting to be a habit for the Sao Paulo sensation. Of the three tournaments the netters have played, Faber has received all-tournament honors in all three.

Freshman setter Heidi Sticksel was unstoppable as she celebrated her 19th birthday in grand style Saturday. The Stick was playmaker of the day with a grand total of 90 assists/sets with 24 defensive digs against USL and SW Texas. Her 310 assists so far easily leads the team and puts her on a pace for 827 on the year which would be a new UH frosh record.

Sticksel and former Amarillo Tascosa High teammate, sophomore Ashley Mulkey, will give the Cougars a formidable one-two punch up front for years to come.

More immediately, they'll need it to take LSU's Tiger Invitational this weekend in Baton Rouge. In addition to the host Tigers, an always tough opponent, the netters will face either Louisville or New Mexico on Saturday.

The Cougars return home Oct. 2 to open Southwest Conference play against Baylor in Hofheinz. HSE will be carrying the match in a regional telecast.

SECOND CONSECUTIVE BLOWOUT SPELLS DOOM FOR COUGARS, KLINGLER'S HEISMAN HOPES

BY JAVIER GONZALEZ

CHAMPAIGN, IL. -- Forget Miami. The Houston Cougars made the Fighting Illini look like national championship material.

Illinois humiliated Houston 51-10 in front of 61,182, Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

The highly-touted Run-and-Shoot offense, which on paper is supposed to be unstoppable, has just two touchdowns in eight quarters.

Offensively, the Cougars have been offensive. The Illinois defense came into the game statistically one of the worst in college football. The Fighting Illini held the Cougars to 414 total yards, but caused Houston to turn the ball over five times, including four interceptions.

Illinois limited Houston to a 23-yard Roman Anderson field goal and a 15-yard touchdown pass to outside receiver John Brown III from quarterback David Klingler.

With the Southwest Conference opener against Baylor just two weeks away, Head Coach John Jenkins must go back to the drawing board and figure out how to put the ball in the endzone.

Even putting Klingler in the shotgun could not change the outcome. Klingler finished the game with 332 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions. His last two performances have ruined his chances at winning the Heisman Trophy.

"We wanted to come out and play well, but it didn't happen," Klingler said. "Give credit to Illinois. Their personnel are better than our personnel."

Houston's record drops to 1-2, and the Cougars have dropped from the top 25 national rankings.

Defensively, Houston has shown little improvement from last year's unit that ranked 106th out of 109 Division I-A schools.

The 51 points the Cougars gave up are the most Houston has surrendered since 1985, when they gave up 55 to Arkansas. In the last seven games, the Cougars have given up a total of 240 points, an average of 34.2 points per game. It means Houston's defense has given up five touchdowns per game in that span.

Houston's Mad Dog defense was inhumanely put to sleep by Fighting Illini quarterback Jason Verduzco. The 5'9" junior ripped apart the secondary for 306 yards and three touchdowns. Even when the Cougars put pressure on him he would find the open man.

In one instance in the third quarter, the Cougars seemed to have Verduzco sacked deep in Illinois territory, but the quarterback found tailback Clinton Lynch in the flat for a 42-yard screen pass. Lynch fumbled, but Illinois recovered. On the next play Verduzco found receiver Gus Palma wide open for a 40-yard touchdown pass making the score 27-3.

"We tried to make things happen defensively," Jenkins said. "When you gamble, you further expose yourself, and Illinois took care of that by scoring. It was a total team loss."

Cougar defensive backs could not keep up with the Illinois receivers, who were running crossing-patterns to offset the Houston blitz. The offensive line provided Verduzco with good protection all game long.

It got worse for Houston. Because of the gambling type defense Houston runs, the Cougars are susceptible to the big play. Houston gave up touchdown runs of 50 and 57 yards. The Cougars could not stop the Illini offense. Houston used a four man front to a nine man front to stop Illinois, but failed. The Cougars gave up 645 yards total offense to a team thought to be rebuilding.

ANOTHER DISASTER!

MAD DOGS, MISTAKES CRUSH COUGARS

BY MIKE ROSEN

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Houston's Mad Dog defense has wiped the slate clean.

They're no longer mad; in fact, they've become rather generous and have the makings of a public relations firm.

In two weeks, they've helped insert two more quarterbacks into the Heisman Trophy race and have given up their own spot in various top 25 polls to a team that planned for 1991 to be a rebuilding season.

The Fighting Illini had struggled to capture prey for two weeks prior to entering Saturday's Cougar hunt. But a seemingly helpless Cougar defense, along with a misfiring Run-and-Shoot, made the Illini look more like the professional Bears team that roams the territory just to the north.

Illinois' running backs combined for 304 yards, and its receivers caught passes totalling 341 yards, against UH's poodle alignment.

Add the four rushing touchdowns and the three through the air, along with Houston's nine penalties, five turnovers and five David Klingler sacks, and you have the Cougars' second national embarrassment in as many weeks.

This year's edition of the John Jenkins Air Force was supposed to feature the complete package -- a solid, well-rounded team. The defense was to be healthy and a little more experienced than last year (it is), and the offensive line was to have resembled Al Capone's entourage.

Instead, the defensive secondary has looked more like a Texas-size loaf of bread - toasted. And both lines like slices of swiss cheese with holes the size of running backs and defensive ends.

The last two opposing offenses have scored 91 points on 1,149 yards, and Klingler has been sacked 10 times.

The only noticeable difference between the latest blunder and that against Miami, is UH was able to move the ball against Illinois. However, penalties and turnovers halted Cougar drives as fast as the defense was giving up ground.

A trend is developing, and not a good one if your name is John Jenkins. The master of the Multiple Adjusting Passing Offense, but lately master of disaster, has two weeks to find a cure for his team. That's when the Baylor Bears bring their tormenting defense, along with a newfound offense, into the Astrodome for UH's Southwest Conference opener.

Baylor improved to 3-0 overall Saturday with a 47-21 pounding of Missouri, one week after defeating last year's co-national champion, Colorado, 16-14. The Bears' defense has limited opponents to an average of 107.6 yards rushing and 191 yards passing per game.

Compared to the Cougars' first three opponents, Coach Grant Teaff's defense is near the top, with its four-man line rivaling that of Miami's.

Baylor quarterback J.J. Joe has thrown for 300-plus yards in his last two starts -- very uncharacteristic of a Baylor offense that usually moves the ball on the ground, if at all.

Houston's worst enemy may be an emergence of Baylor's running attack, which would eat up the clock as well as yards.

Illinois demonstrated that well in the first half against the Cougars as the Illini kept the ball 21:04 of the first 30 minutes. Their backs ran the ball frequently and with success in touchdown drives of 69, 89 and 96 yards before halftime.

Two weeks is a long time for an innovator like Jenkins, but will it be ample time to shape up his floundering team?

If the trend continues, Baylor should be 5-0 (they play SMU Sept. 28) with an inside track to the Cotton Bowl, while the Cougars will be off to their worst start since 1987, the beginning of the Run-and-Shoot era, when they managed just one victory in their first seven games.

CARE ABOUT THE COMMUNITY THROUGH NON-PROFIT GROUPS

CAMPUS TO HOST CAREER TEST IN UC THIS WEDNESDAY

BY STEVE GARRETT

To show students there is more to life than financial security, UH will hold a career festival Wednesday highlighting the rewards of working for a non-profit organization

One of the goals of the Volunteer and Career Opportunity Festival is to make students more marketable when they graduate. The organizers, Student Services employees Anita Wollison-Bartlett and Lloyd Jacobson, also want to convey that there are certain skills students can only get by doing volunteer work.

The festival, held from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Houston Room of the University Center, will allow students to talk with people in the field find out what working for a non-profit organization involves. The festival also features workshops explaining how students can use their volunteer experience and hone the skills they've been taught, Jacobson said.

One of the problems with students' attitudes about their career choices is that they limit themselves, Jacobson said. "They want to be doctors and lawyers," he said.

The non-profit community employs 100,000 in Houston alone and accounts for a good size of the labor force nationally, co-organizer Wollison-Bartlett said.

This festival is to emphasize that students should be concerned about their community for life, Jacobson said.

Wollison-Bartlett said they are trying to get fraternity members a little closer to the people they are helping.

"(It's) a commitment to move fraternities from philanthropy to other services. Instead of just handing over a check to the Food Bank, they should put in sweat hours. This will help them get a feeling of the homelessness in Houston."

Fifty organizations will be represented at the festival, including the AIDS Foundation, the Red Cross and the Museum of Fine Arts.

The Career Planning and Placement Center and the Metropolitan Volunteer Program and co-sponsors of the festival. The festival is free for UH students, faculty, staff and alumni. A $5 donation is requested from all others.

COOG'S COLLAPSE HARD TO BELIEVE

RANDY BAZAN

The NCAA should consider banning Houston from live television again.

But not for rules infractions, this time they should be banned for dreadful play. For the second week in a row the Cougars were embarrassed in front of a large television audience, as Illinois crushed them 51-10.

The Miami loss was not surprising, since Houston doesn't have the blue chip athletes Miami has, but the Illinois loss is. The Cougars were nine-and-a-half point favorites heading into the game, while the Fighting Illini struggled in their first two games against East Carolina and Missouri.

What has happened to the Cougars? Less than two weeks ago, this team was ranked 10th in the country and was talking national championship. Now they're 1-2 and have dropped out of sight, their national image shattered.

Head Coach John Jenkins' Run-and-Shoot has been a prime time flop. Since beating Louisiana Tech 73-3 on opening day, the Cougars have been outscored 91-20.

In what were supposed to be David Klingler's showcase games, the Illinois and Miami massacres have instead spelled doom for his Heisman chances. Quarterbacks Jason Verduzco and Gino Torretta have stolen Klingler's spotlight to put themselves in the running for the award.

In fairness, it's hard to blame Klingler for Houston's fall. As poorly as the offensive line has played, Klingler has been more preoccupied with self-preservation than touchdowns.

Like in Miami, Houston's offensive line was again overwhelmed, as Illini defenders went after Klingler like he was Hitler at a bar mitzvah.

Jenkins, having apparently lost faith in his line's ability to block anybody, set Klingler up in the shotgun formation to give him more time to throw. It still wasn't enough as he was sacked five times and constantly pressured.

Defensively, the much ballyhooed Mad Dogs caught rabies and died. Verduzco easily picked apart the Cougar secondary. And he had lots of time to throw because Houston's undersized defensive line couldn't put pressure on him.

The Cougars are losing the battle in the trenches. Their offensive and defensive lines have been dominated the past two games. Now they return to the Astrodome to take on a tough Baylor team on Oct. 5.

Klingler and Co. enter the Southwest Conference race with zero momentum and face the best defensive front four in the league.

Houston is in serious trouble. If the lines continue to perform like they have been, the Cougars won't have much of a chance. But there's hope against the Bears, as long as no television station broadcasts the game.