FUN AND FROLIC FOR THE WEEKEND: SALLY'S PICKS FOR REALLY GOOD CHEAP ENTERTAINMENT STUFF

BY SALLY POUNCY

It's the weekend! Time to shut the books, come out of the library, turn off the TV and have some fun! Here is just a sampling of what's happening.

The theater arts scene is bustling with activity. Theater Suburbia's first show of its 30th season is Isn't It Romantic, by Wendy Wasserstein. It is a comedy about the conflict between independence and romantic fulfillment. It runs on weekends through Oct. 19, so try out the small theater in Northwest Houston.

William Shakespeare's learning-to-love tale about Kate and Petruchio comes to The Ensemble. Taming of the Shrew begins The Ensemble Theater's 15th season. In collaboration with Teatro Bilingue de Houston and the Houston Community College Fine Arts Department, a multi-cultural experience has been created. The show runs Oct. 3-27, at The Ensemble Theater.

Closer to home, the UH Drama Department will present Lanford Wilson's Fifth of July in the Wortham Theater on campus. The show starts Oct.4 and runs for two weekends. Ticket reservations can be made by calling 749-3459.

The Society for the Performing Arts and Diverse Works bring Urban Bush Women to the Cullen Theater Friday, Oct.4. The Bush Women will be performing their newest work Praise House for the beginning of the NEW NOW series. TSPA created the NEW NOW series for non-traditional performing art events three seasons ago and keeps on rolling with this new show.

For those of you who are more interested in pseudo-politics, march over to Fitzgerald's for the "Unofficial Frank Zappa for President Rally" on Friday. Zsu Zsu's Petals, Bad Livers and Wizdom of Odd will be performing at the rally. Free yellow snow-cones will be given away and Frank might make an appearance, either live or via tape.

Three funny men come to the UH Houston Room at 7 p.m. Sunday for the Black Student Union's Comedy Night. Headlining the show is Billy D., a 1991 Sammy Award winner and winner of Laff Stop's Funniest Person in Houston contest 1991. Billy D. has been the opening act for major stars such as The Temptations, Dizzy Gillespie and Tommy Davidson of In Living Color.

An African-American musical will be presented at the Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church, located at 3826 Wheeler. The musical includes music from the Civil Rights Era, work songs, spirituals, hymns and gospels. The program is free, but donations are requested to benefit people in Southern Africa who are HIV-positive. The program begins at 4 p.m. Sunday.

Two guest conductors will take the helm of the Houston Symphony for consecutive weekends. David Shallon will lead a performance of works from Strauss, Prokofiev and Mendelson this weekend. Nicholas McGean will lead the symphony and chorus Oct. 5-7 in Handel, Haydn, Mozart and Stravinsky.

Festival season is in full swing this fall. Three festivals open their doors in the first week of October. The German Festival kicks off on German-American Day, Oct. 5, at the Hyatt Regency West, at Katy Freeway and Eldridge. Afternoon activities are free, but the dinner/dance requires reservations. To make reservations, call Ursula Quentel at 324-3982 or Elenora Kerstner at 358-3381.

*******************************************************

TEXAS A&M MOURNS DEATH OF CLEAR CREEK PLACEKICKER

BY MIKE ROSEN

Family, friends, fellow teammates and classmates are mourning the loss of Texas A&M freshman placekicker James Glenn, who died Wednesday during football practice.

The 19-year-old from League City reportedly collapsed just after routine pre-practice workouts at Kyle Field. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation by team physicians failed to revive Glenn, and he was pronounced dead less than an hour later at Brazos Valley Humana Hospital in College Station.

An autopsy performed at another Bryan-College Station medical facility had not revealed an official cause of death as of late Thursday, and officials said more tests would likely be performed in Houston.

Team physician Jesse Parr said Glenn had a history of underlying heart problems, and practice activities had nothing to do with his death.

"This is one of those things you do your best to prevent, but I don't believe this was preventable," Parr said. "His previous condition would not cause sudden death. The main thing I want to emphasize is that this is not a football death. This is the death of a person who happened to be on a football field."

Parr said a League City cardiologist had given Glenn clearance to play football in April.

The walk-on from Clear Creek High School saw his only action on the field for the Aggies Sept. 21, kicking off three times against Tulsa.

Glenn graduated in May, where he was a three-year varsity football letterman. He was vice president of his senior class, won the Senior American Legion Award and received the school's Medallion Award.

Glenn is survived by his parents, Stephen and Mariglyn Glenn of League City; two brothers, Ron and Stuart Glenn of League City and James and Ada Glenn of Amarillo.

Memorial services will be held in College Station at 2 p.m. today, at A&M United Methodist Church.

Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Clear Creek H.S. auditorium, followed by the burial at Forest Park East Cemetery.

News reporter Keith Rollins contributed to this story.

LATE REGISTRATION HAS NEW MEANING

COUNCIL QUESTIONS TARDY ENTRANCE

BY ANTON P. MONTANO

The UH enrollment of one of the most recruited 1990 high school football players four weeks into the 1991 fall semester has triggered the concern of members of the Undergraduate Council.

At the Sept. 18 meeting, members said the enrollment of former Willowridge High School football star Mike Miller this far into the semester was against normal procedures and may not be in the new student's best interests.

Miller began the fall 1991 semester playing football at Notre Dame before returning to Houston.

Miller enrolled at UH Sept. 17, Mario Lucchesi, director of registration and academic records, told members of the Undergraduate Council.

"We've enforced deadlines this year, and people who didn't follow them have had to go through the appeals process," said Ernst Leiss, vice chair of the undergraduate council. "But, that isn't the main concern. We are just concerned about how a student can be admitted after almost 20 percent, one-fifth, of the semester is over."

Leiss said the council was not accusing Miller of any wrongdoing, but feared admission guidelines, designed to protect students, had been ignored.

"Where do we draw the line? If one-fifth is not a problem, then is one-half, or do we let them in on the final exam?" Leiss said.

The course catalog says the application deadline for the fall semester was June 14. Students then had until July 26 to file a petition for late admission, according to the catalog.

Wayne Sigler, dean of Admissions and Enrollment Services, said admissions past the July 26 deadline would be handled on an individual basis.

"If any student brings staff members extenuating circumstances, we will take into consideration the facts and make decisions," Sigler said.

But Sigler would not comment specifically on Miller's admission.

"I just am not able to comment to a third party about an individual student's case," Sigler said.

Lawrence Curry, associate dean of the College of Humanities and Fine Arts, said the UH Athletic Department had secured the approval of President Marguerite Ross Barnett to allow Miller to enter classes.

"Normally, I would not have approved anyone registering so late," Curry said.

He said students initiating enrollment in classes in the College of Humanities and Fine Arts after add/drop week had to obtain departmental approval.

"My intention was to turn down Mr. Miller, but the president had approved Mr. Miller's enrolling in the classes at HFA, and it was taken out of my hands," Curry said.

The petition for late application says applicants with "exceptional talent" in "scholarly, artistic, musical, dramatic, or athletic" areas would be considered for late admittance.

Athletic Director Rudy Davalos said he would not comment on Miller's enrollment.

"I'm not going to discuss Mike Miller or any other student," Davalos said. "He's not a member of any of the athletic teams. And I wouldn't discuss any of our student-athletes. That's their private life."

Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs James Pickering said Barnett had approved Miller's enrollment on the recommendation of the athletic department.

"Special admissions by the authorization of the president's office are not all that unusual," Pickering said. "In the past, exceptions have been made for talented undergraduates."

The former dean of the College of Humanities and Fine Arts, Pickering said four Chinese music students were once authorized to enroll at UH on the recommendation of the School of Music.

"I think they recommended the admission because they had a student-athlete whom they wanted to have here at the university," Pickering said.

Leiss said he hoped Miller would do well in his classes, but was concerned about the need to catch up after four weeks of classes had already passed.

"We have no intention of kicking the student out," Leiss said. "This is not an action against the student by any stretch of the imagination.

"He is probably just a pawn in this."

Miller was unavailable for comment at presstime.

CREDIT TRAP CATCHES MANY

STUDENTS SHOULD BEWARE OF PLASTIC PITFALLS

BY GAYLE WEISS

Shelly Christianson, a sophomore majoring in business, is afraid to answer her telephone. Due to the credit card bills she has run up, each time the telephone rings, it is a bill collector.

Christianson, like many other students, is in over her head with credit cards.

"It all started with one Visa. Then I had to have another and another -- pretty soon I had 12 credit cards that were all charged to the max," she said.

In today's plastic-crazed age, situations like Christianson's are not uncommon.

Marilyn Golub, a UH student legal advisor, counsels students with credit-related debts.

"People need to think about what they are doing," Golub said. "When they charge something, they need to pay it back. It's just a loan."

Golub said the biggest problem students have concerning credit cards is allowing others to charge on them. "People will loan their card or leave it out and a roommate will use it," she said.

The problem is, sometimes the borrower never pays back.

Cynthia Jones, a junior majoring in English, made the mistake of loaning her card to a friend. "I let my friend use the card to buy a $150 outfit with the promise that I would have the money within a month. Then she lost her job. Now I am stuck with the payments, as well as the interest fees," Jones said.

Robert Cronan, a sophomore majoring in psychology, lent his card to a friend and never saw it again. "He borrowed the card to buy his girlfriend a present," Cronan said. "The next thing you know, there's $500 charged on my American Express and he was nowhere to be found. I learned my lesson."

Another problem students have is charging much more than they are able to pay. "The biggest problem is that they are not thinking about the fact that someday they are going to have to pay it back," Golub said.

One UH senior, who refused to be named due to the seriousness of her debts, learned the hard way. She has 18 credit cards, ranging from department store cards to gas cards, and has built up a $21,000 debt.

"I just went plastic-crazy. I wasn't thinking about the fact that I would have to pay them back. I just charged like mad," she said.

She says the biggest problem right now are the interest charges. Eight months ago, she only owed $19,000. Since then she has been charged $2,000 in late, over-the-limit and interest fees.

"You don't realize how it adds up, especially when your bills get so high that you have late charges and over-the-limit fees. And those interest charges are a killer," she said.

Harassing phone calls are another thing students with large credit bills face.

Danielle Bowen, a sophomore majoring in engineering, receives threatening telephone calls daily.

"They call my house at all hours and threaten to do things like come to my house and throw me in jail," Bowen said.

"I try to tell them that I can't afford to pay the full amount and that I would like to send them a smaller sum. Often they hang up on me when I try to compromise," she said.

Golub said it is illegal for bill collectors to harass the people they are trying to collect from. She also adds that, despite what bill collectors claim, they cannot arrest anyone. Golub said to let collectors know you do not wish for them to contact you by telephone. "I suggest writing them a letter telling them not to call. Write them immediately if they call you at work if that can jeopardize your job."

Students in a credit-related rut should try to work out some sort of payment plan to avoid permanent credit damage, Golub said. Bad credit notations stay on your file for seven years, she said.

Another option is to file bankruptcy. However, this option can cost around $1,000, Golub said. A bankruptcy notation stays on record for 10 years.

Golub is available for counseling Mondays and Tuesdays in the counseling and testing center. There is a one-time fee of $5, and students can return as many times as they wish. There is usually a wait of at least one week.

TRUCK HITS STUDENT ON WHEELER

BY MELISSA NEELEY

A UH student is in critical condition after being hit by a truck, catapulted in the air and landing in front of a UH shuttle bus.

Bryan Beulow, 20, was crossing Wheeler Street, two blocks from the Cullen Street intersection, when he was hit by a dark blue GMC truck about 9 p.m. Tuesday, said Lt. Brad Wigtil of UH Police Department.

"Something he was wearing got caught on the truck, which caused him to fly in the air and hit the windshield," a witness said. "The impact caused him to land in front of the bus."

Another witness remarked Beulow was lucky the bus didn't hit him too.

UHPD and an ambulance were called within minutes of the accident and officers administered first aid to Buelow, Wigtil said. He was later taken by ambulance to Ben Taub Hospital.

Afterward, the Houston Police Department was contacted since the accident occurred on a public street. HPD is now handling the investigation.

Ben Taub Hospital would not release information on Buelow's condition at press time Thursday.

LANGSTON WINS AWARD

COUGAR SPORTS SERVICE

UH punter Charles Langston has been named Touchdown Illustrated's AT&T Long Distance Award winner.

Langston, a Coming, Calif. native punted five times in Houston's 51-10 loss at Illinois for an average of 51 yards a punt. For his efforts, AT&T will donate $400 to the UH general scholarship fund.

The award is given out weekly to the nation's best "long distance" players with up to $40,000 in scholarship donations.

This new award salutes Division I-A's best players in six offensive categories.

Each week, AT&T will recognize the college football player with the week's longest pass, run, punt, kickoff return, punt return and field goal. A contribution of $400 goes to the school's scholarship fund.

At season's end, AT&T will honor the players with the best yards-per-game average in passing, rushing, punt returns, field goals, kickoff returns and punting.

SOCCER FIELDS SIDELINED FOR PARKING LOT INTEREST

BY KEITH ROLLINS

The UH Intramurals Department took it on the chin this summer when an approved construction plan of two new recreational fields was halted by university officials days before groundbreaking.

"I was disappointed to say the least. Approximately $9,000 had been allocated from the university service fees and we were ready to build," Intramural Department Chairman Reggie Riley said.

With money in hand, Riley began in mid-August to look for land to construct a rugby and soccer field, finding a suitable location between the Optometry Building and the Catholic Newman Center on Calhoun Road.

At the same time, a university parking committee met and decided the land would be prime parking space. Senior Vice President of Administration and Finance Tom Jones noticed the conflict between the two sides and sought a compromise to satisfy both parties.

"When I talked to the athletic department, I did not say that they could not build there, but that both a field and a parking lot could co-exist in an agreeable situation," Jones said.

However, it was Riley's understanding the fields would eventually become parking lots if they were built, due to expansion and development of Interstate 45. Also, since rugby and soccer fields are much larger than regular football fields, co-existence would be difficult, he said.

"I don't think Dr. Jones realizes the size of the two fields. Plus, it didn't make sense for us to drop that much of the school's money when the fields would later be covered with asphalt," Riley said.

Jones said he didn't know how Interstate 45 will eventually affect the land and that for now it remains slated for future parking.

Riley said, "We need the extra fields for the betterment of our club sports program. We will just have to wait and see the results of the future meetings."

The wait could be worth it. Jones said the residential block extending behind Hofheinz and leading up to Elgin Boulevard could soon be availale for expansion fields.

BONEY VS. COLEMAN IN RUNOFF ELECTION

CANDIDATES FAIL TO GET MAJORITY FOR EVANS' SEAT

BY DAVE DAVIS

The race for the District 147 legislative seat has entered its final phase with the two leading candidates squaring off for a runoff election.

What began as an 11 candidate free-for-all for the late Larry Evans' position, has evolved into a head-to-head contest between the Rev. Jew Don Boney and Garnet Coleman.

Boney, who describes his political effort as a "grass roots campaign," led the pack of legislative hopefuls by the time the polls closed Tuesday, nabbing more than 30 percent of the total votes.

Coleman had 30 percent of the votes in the district's largest voter turnout for a special election, earning his position on the runoff ticket.

Coleman, once virtually unknown, said he is quite proud to still be in the running for the seat.

The turning point in his campaign was when he began going door-to-door to solicit support, Coleman said.

"Once the people got to meet with me and talk to me, they realized that I represented some of the same issues that were most important to them," he said.

Coleman, 29, also said he doesn't feel the 10-year age difference between he and Boney will have a negative impact on his campaign.

"We have created a coalition of supporters that includes older citizens as well as younger ones," Coleman said. "Many of the older people that I have talked with feel that the youth are the future, and they're happy to see me running."

Boney, 39, owes part of his success in the polls to his high name recognition. Boney has been visible in the Houston area because of his involvement with the Byron Gillam and Clarence Lee Brandley cases, two issues which have heavily influenced his campaign.

Boney said he plans to continue his grass roots campaign, and plans to continue soliciting the vote of the district's blue-collar workers

Ray Paige, coordinator for the Boney campaign, said the candidate has already secured the support and endorsement of several former candidates.

Both candidates stress they would like to run a clean campaign, devoid from distracting accusations.

Before the special election, candidate Aline McCloud alleged three of her opponents for the seat were not residents of the district they were attempting to represent. Coleman said the other candidates were aware of the situation, but declined to make an issue of it.

"I would prefer to run a positive campaign based on my qualifications to be a good representative rather than a negative campaign designed to attack another candidate," Coleman said.

Coleman said state regulations for state representative candidates do not specify residential status. Coleman also said no candidate has ever been asked to withdraw from an election because of this issue.

SOCIAL ISSUE GROUPS HOLD INNOVATIVE RUSH

BY STEVE GARRETT

In an effort to spread awareness about social issues and garner support for the various progressive student organizations on campus, an alternative rush program was held Thursday in the University Center.

Hoping to interest students in other forms of social organizations besides Greek sororities and fraternities, the event showcased ten groups, which offered information and pamphlets on topics such as animal rights, censorship and the plight of the environment.

The event was the brainchild of Vivian Lee, a freshman majoring in journalism. Lee said she organized the program to encourage students to get involved with social issues and voice their beliefs.

"We're telling people it's all right to have opinions," Lee said. "It's your right."

Lee said people should have a place where they can enjoy a fellowship with others sharing similar beliefs and interests.

The thrust of the event was to tell students if they want political and social change they have to stand up and do something about it, Lee said.

"America is supposed to be the melting pot of the nations, and I don't think the government should thwart any law affecting anybody's religion, race or beliefs," Lee said. "You have to stand up and do something."

Social change requires action, Lee said.

`It's not going to go anywhere if you sit there and complain about what's going on. Get up and do something," Lee said. "Read about it; learn about it. Absorb information. Remember 1984? George Orwell?"

To organize the rush program, Lee sent a letter explaining her objectives to all the organizations on campus that advocated political or progressive change. Eleven organizations responded, each providing $5 to fund the event.

One of the organizations taking part in the event was the Association of Students for Animal Protection. Group President Richard Acero said ASAP is devoted to awareness of animal research.

Acero said the rush was a good opportunity to talk to people who are interested in animal rights.

"It's a venue for them to see us and for us to see them," Acero said. "It's a really nice way of building comradery among all the different groups on campus."

The campus chapter of ASAP, an international organization, also opposes certain methods utilized on farms. For example, the group publicizes veal calves are grown in squalid, one by four foot stalls until they are ready to be slaughtered. The calves are fed synthetic meals to make them grow faster, Acero said.

Acero also claimed the U.S. Department of Defense has conducted gruesome experiments with animals.

"They took gorillas and glued their heads to helmets and secured the helmets to a device that would catapult them into a wall at certain speeds," Acero said. "They wanted to see how quickly the gorillas would recover.

"The whole gist of that experiment was to find out how quickly after a man is injured in war he can be put back into action," Acero claimed.

He said such experiments are commonplace, and the goal of his group is to keep people informed.

"We have to start thinking not only of ourselves in this time and age, but also of other human beings and other inhabitants of the earth," Acero said.

The Progressive Student Network, a multi-issue organization that addresses American politics, was also present at the event. PSN member Amy Maldonado said her organization plans to hold a pro-choice rally at the university.

Last Semester, PSN brought the controversial former CIA operative Phillip Agee to campus, who voiced his opposition to the government's involvement in Central America, Maldonaldo said.

Other organizations present at the rush included the environmental group Team Earth, Amnesty International and the Coalition to Stop U.S. Intervention in the Middle East.

The Gay-Lesbian Student Association, Opression Under Target, The Rainforest Action Group, Metropolitan Volunteer Program and Student Environmental Action Coalition were also represented.

Lee said students who missed the rush can get additional information about alternative organizations from the Campus Activity Center.

DRAMA STUDENT SEEKS TO SHARE POSITIVE OUTLOOK THROUGH SONG

BY MICHICA GUILLORY

You've all seen him. And if you haven't seen him, you've definitely heard him. He walks to his classes singing emphatically, not to mention loudly. Equally enthusiastic are his hellos he gives to virtually all who pass.

This melodious mystery is Tony Price, a senior majoring in television and film.

Setting his characteristic black derby to the side, Price said, "I sing to try to keep myself on the positive side of things. I try not to have too much negativity."

Most people sing in the privacy of their showers or cars for fear of being heard. But Price, 31, doesn't seem to mind all the attention his singing attracts. "It's very nice that people do stop and talk to me and maybe comment on my singing."

"I remember one day I was singing one of my old Bing Crosby favorites and some guy said, `You oughta be on television so everyone can just shut you off,'" Price says. "I just paid him no mind."

"I don't really care," said Margot Berveiler, a senior majoring in RTV. "If he wants to do that that's fine. I don't necessarily have to pay attention if I don't want to. It's kind of funny, though. It makes you laugh."

Most of the songs Price sings are, "from old movies from the '30s and '40s." George Gershwin, Oscar Hammerstein, Lorenz Hart and Irving Berlin are some of the composers whose songs he sings and sheet music he collects.

Price aspires to be in the entertainment business. "I want to do a little bit of everything," he said. Everything includes writing, performing and directing. He is currently working on his first book and classifies it as a sort of domesticated comedy.

Price seldom sings today's pop tunes.

"It's not really my forte," Price said. "You don't hear many black people singing this stuff anymore."

So exactly how does he feel about mainstream music and artists? About rap he says, "I feel there is a great abundance of artists in that field. When was the last time you heard someone playing Beethoven?"

Price's other interests include drawing. He enjoys drawing pictures of famous personalities. But he doesn't stop at that. He sends his drawings to the celebrities who are the subject of the picture.

Roy Rogers, Cheryl Ladd, Angie Dickinson, Ricardo Montalbon, Bette Davis and Fred Astaire represent only a fraction of the more than 270 celebrities he has drawn and recieved mailed responses from. Jonathan Frid, Dark Shadows' original Barnabus Collins, the original Catwoman Julie Newmar and The Beverly Hillbillies' Buddy Ebsen, better known as Jed, have also been subjects of the 31-year-old's artwork and have responded.

SEARCH FOR TENURE OUT OF GRASP FOR SOME WOMEN PROFS

DEAN CITES COMMITTEE WORK AT FAULT

"I am woman hear me roar" is a philosophy heeded by the business world, but at male-dominated college campuses, the collective voice of women is falling on deaf ears.

Although UH's top position is held by a woman, Marguerite Ross Barnett, statistics indicate the lower orders aren't following the lead. The highest university administrative appointments are still male.

The deputy to the president, the interim vice president for academic affairs and the interim vice president for student affairs are all males. A permanent senior vice president for administration and finance will be named in October and all four candidates are males.

Of the 13 colleges on campus, Karen Haynes, dean of the Graduate School of Social Work, is the only female administrative head of a college. Of 23 associate deans, four are women.

There are 45 UH faculty who hold endowed chairs or distinguished professorships. Only two women make the list.

Of 48 department chairs (including interims), seven are women. According to the 1990 statistics, of the 907 ranked faculty members, 739 are male and 168 are female.

Faculty are ranked as instructors, assistant professors, associate professors and full professors, which is the highest rank.

In 1990, only 32 women achieved the rank of full professor, compared to 327 men in the same rank.

Eighty-four female faculty have been awarded tenure, compared to 555 male faculty members who have achieved tenure.

Professor of communication disorders Donna Fox said the biggest hurdle women face is the pursuit of tenure. Once a faculty member acquires tenure, it is almost a guarantee of employment.

When a new faculty member is hired, he or she has seven years to work on research. During this period, faculty are informed of the tenure-track individual's progress. At the end of this time, they are judged by their peers based on their findings.

It is in this stage, Fox said, where many women don't make full professorships. "It's either publish or perish," she said.

The road to tenure is the same for both men and women. However, Fox said often women do not have enough time to do enough research to fulfill requirements. She said this is because more women are asked to serve on numerous university committees.

The women say yes even though they don't have time, Fox said, because they don't want to appear uncooperative and unwilling to be part of the team effort.

"These young women are placed on all different types of committees -- they don't have tenure so they're afraid to say no," she said. "They become so overloaded with committee work, they don't have time to do the needed research and they are denied tenure."

Fox said women are given committee work because it is perceived as women's work.

However, James Pickering, interim vice president for academic affairs, said committees strive for equal representation. He explained it as a double-edged sword.

"We're always conscious to get a broad representation without overutilizing a subset of the university," he said.

Pat Deeves, chair of the committee on the status of women at UH, said the problem of the over-representation of women on committees is not new.

At a breakfast for new female faculty each year, Deeves said seasoned female faculty members tell new faculty to be wary of the pressures of committee work. They stress the emphasis on research for tenure and how to survive the process without getting assigned to too many committees, Deeves said.

To receive tenure, new faculty are also judged on teaching and service, but Deeves acknowledged committee work, which is technically regarded as service, is not seen has highly important in the quest for tenure.

Pickering said there should be a more balanced view so women do not become over stressed. However, he acknowledged if research is absent, the faculty member probably won't receive tenure.

He adamantly maintains a university is place for creation, and researchers are often the best teachers.

He defines this university as being a research university. Graduate students planning to teach at UH should be aware of this emphasis, he said.

"I don't think UH is any different from any other university in their expectations," Pickering said.

Haynes said she agrees women are placed on more committees than men. She said minorities are also placed disproportionately on an excessive amount of committees.

"They wind up (when they are reviewed for tenure) having an excessive amount of service records but no research," she said.

But Haynes said women face other problems when they come before a tenure and promotion committee.

Women who choose to write about women's issues do not have access to large amounts of data from previously written articles and books, she said. Since there is often not a data base for women's issues, their research can fall short of the expectations of the committee, which looks to see if the research is empirically based and founded on previous issues. When it's not, the issues may be perceived as feminist or strictly women's issues.