SWC HEATS UP: HORNED FROGS ON ROLL,

OWLS LOOKING TO REBOUND AGAINST TEXAS

COUGAR SPORTS SERVICES

Texas A&M (2-1, 0-0)

at Texas Tech (1-3, 0-1)

The Aggies are attempting to win back-to-back games from the Red Raiders for the sixth time in Southwest Conference play.

Offense: Quarterback Bucky Richardson leads the youthful A&M squad; he's a field general who can lull the opposition to sleep and then explode for long gains.

The Aggie offense is averaging 37 points and 424 yards per game.

The Red Raiders look for offensive consistency despite some crippling injuries, especially the hard hit receiving corps.

Tech's kicking game has made improvements in several areas since last year, mainly punting, now averaging 45.9 yards per kick.

Texas A&M has a swift set of running backs, paced by freshman Greg Hill with 406 yards on 66 carries, second to Rice's Trevor Cobb.

Tech's standouts are senior quarterback Jamie Gill and wide receiver Anthony Stinnett.

Defense: A&M's secondary is led by cornerback Kevin Smith, who has 14 tackles, two fumble recoveries and one interception this year.

Tech linebacker Matt Wingo and free safety Tracy Saul lead the Raiders' defense.

Rice (2-1, 0-0) at Texas (0-2, 0-0)

The Owls are coming off a heartbreaking one-point loss to Iowa State, a game Rice had sewn up by ten points with less than five minutes remaining.

Coming off an undefeated SWC championship season, the Longhorns are looking for their first victory of 1991. If history repeats itself, as it has done in this case since 1965-66, Texas should chalk up its first W.

Offense: Rice's 91 points through three games represents the highest total since the 1949 squad had 95.

Cobb continues to set a fast pace with 103 carries, 649 yards, eight touchdowns, as the Owls' first national leader in rushing. His top effort, a personal best, came last Saturday with 240 yards.

Wide receivers Eric Henley and Louis Balady have combined for 16 catches and 224 yards to date.

Texas hopes to inject some high octane into its offense after a pair of losses to then-top 25 non-SWC foes.

Running backs Butch Hadnot (30 carries, 117 yards) and Adrian Walker (21 carries, 71 yards) figure prominently in Texas' ball control schemes. Wide receiver Darrick Duke has displayed sure hands with eight catches for 85 yards.

Defense: Rice linebacker Tony Barker has been in the thick of things with 35 tackles and four turnovers gained this year. He's joined by fellow linebacker Joey Wheeler who has accumulated 27 tackles.

Texas displays one of the most powerful front fours in college football. Linebackers Mical Padgett and Boone Powell lead the way.

Arkansas (2-2, 1-0) at TCU (4-0, 1-0)

The Razorbacks and Horned Frogs bring their SWC rivalry to an end, with the Hogs entering the contest with a 42-21-2 lead.

Arkansas has been building on a stingy defense while its young offensive unit continues to mold. Texas Christian has momentum from four consecutive wins, its best start since 1955.

Offense: The Razorbacks have displayed signs of getting their passing attack into gear in recent contests, but the most output continues from the run.

Tailback Tony Jeffery hopes to continue his four-game rushing output of 67 carries for 299 yards.

The Frogs rolled up 514 yards of total offense and scored on seven of their first eight possessions against Arkansas last year.

Tight end Kelly Blackwell has pulled down 24 receptions for 277 yards, and wide receiver Richard Woodley has caught 12 for 156 yards. They are second and seventh, respectively, in the SWC.

Horned Frog receivers are averaging 12.1 yards per catch.

Defense: Defensive backs Orlando Watters and Michael James are responsible for half of the Razorbacks' eight interceptions in '91, while linebacker Mick Thomas is averaging nearly 15 tackles per game.

Texas Christian's unheralded linebackers, Brad Smith and Reggie Anderson, have enjoyed career years for the first four games. Together they've combined for more than 60 tackles.

SMU (0-3, 0-2) at Tulane (0-5)

The bottom line is something has to give. One of these teams will walk away with its first victory of 1991.

Both teams have played tougher than average schedules in the early going. The Mustangs' opponents have been 1988 and '89 SWC champion Arkansas, along with top 11-rated Baylor and Vanderbilt of the Southeastern Conference.

Tulane's previous four opponents, including Syracuse last weekend, entered their contests against the Green Wave undefeated.

With senior quarterback Mike Romo out for the rest of the season with a knee injury, this could be SMU's last chance to salvage a win this year. The Ponies would have to pull off a major conference upset after this week to break the W column.

Offense: The Mustangs now turn to wide receivers Korey Beard (16 catches for 170 yards) and Jason Wolf (15 grabs, 144 yards) to move the chains. They'll depend on backup quarterbacks Dan Freiburger and Todd Ritz to get the ball to them.

Defense: Linebacker Jason Bednarz and defensive back Cary Brabham help carry the defense.

Bednarz's 39 tackles and Brabham's 36 have helped SMU hold two of three opponents to 17 points or less.

*******************************************************

COUGAR NETTERS REBOUND AGAINST

BY MARTY HAJOVSKY

VOLLEYBALL NOTEBOOK

My, how quickly things change.

No sooner had the Cougars come off the high of their own tourney and a five-match winning streak, clawing the likes of Southwest Texas, Sam Houston and Army, when they ran into the LSU buzz saw in Baton Rouge last weekend.

But the netters pulled out a crucial win over Baylor last night which put them back on track to open the Southwest Conference schedule.

First, however, the Louisiana welcome mat was definitely not out over the weekend as the No. 5-ranked Tigers did a little clawing of their own. The UH netters failed to win even a single game as they were swept by both their host and No. 16 Louisville in the Tiger Classic.

LSU is truly one of the powerhouses of the nation. The 11-0 Tigers have only lost two games all season. In the second game against the Cougars, UH was leading 12-10 before LSU rallied for a 17-15 overtime win.

Not only did that break the Cougars' backs, it extended LSU's streak of wins to 28 straight games. That's nine 3-0 victories in a row. Wow.

Despite the mauling there were some bright spots to come out of Baton Rouge. The Dynamic Duo of sophomores, Ashley Mulkey and Karina Faber, were firing at will all weekend. Mulkey was named to the All-Tournament team after hitting .395 with 18 kills, 27 digs and 13 total blocks. Faber recorded 28 kills, 15 digs and 13 blocks. Super setters Heidi Sticksel and Amie Roberts had 84 assists between them.

For Mulkey though, the honors had only just begun. The Thrillo from Amarillo was named SWC Player of the Week for the second time this season, hitting .400 with 31 kills, 37 digs and 15 blocks.

Boston Red Sox Hall of Famer Ted Williams was once told that playing in hitter-friendly Fenway Park padded his stats. The Splendid Splinter simply replied, "The great ones can hit anywhere."

While she doesn't play baseball, nothing could be more true for Mulkey. For the season, the sophomore is hitting a conference-leading .346, which breaks down to .328 at home, .319 at neutral sites and a blistering .395 on the road. It's scary to think what a monster she'll be as a senior.

Last night, though, it was the Cougars who were serving up the lessons as UH beat Baylor for the 22nd consecutive match.

The Bell, Karen that is, tolled for Baylor as the netters cruised to an easy 3-1 match win over at Hofheinz Pavilion.

The Cougars completely outclassed Baylor by scores of 15-7, 15-6, 13-15 and 15-4. UH goes 11-5 on the year and 1-0 in the SWC.

Senior Bell hit .333 with 16 kills, nine digs and two total blocks as she finally got on track after a slow start.

"It was easily Karen's best match all year. She was really in a groove," Head Coach Bill Walton said after the match.

The word is getting out around the league that when you try to block one of Bell's trademark windmill spikes, you better be ready. The dull thuds emanating from the Bear defenders are probably still echoing around Hofheinz today.

Faber also joined in the fun despite a sore arm that had to be tended to by the trainer more than once during the match. The sophomore from Sao Paulo hit a stinging .321 with 13 kills, five digs and nine total blocks.

Faber will get a chance to rest that arm tomorrow as the Cougars take a day off, and then start preparing for regionally-ranked Florida State at Hofheinz on Sunday.

First serve with the Seminoles is slated for 1 p.m. In a special "School Day" promotion, students of all grade levels will be admitted free.

A PERSONAL TRIBUTE TO MILES DAVIS

BY JOHN MIJARES

Miles hated jazz.

He hated the way it has been used to categorize his music. Some jazz purists still classify him as one of the main proponents of Cool Jazz though he has transcended this style for a long time now.

His music of turbulence in the '60s and '70s is even outside the realm of their jazz definitions. But improvisation is a tool and not a form. And its significance is more pronounced for a non-conformist like him.

Miles definitely used his creativity in his melodic explorations. He fully believed the artist is only a mirror of his time and place, and as society changed so did the echoes that emanated from his trumpet -- reflecting the sounds and color of his time as he crossed over from pure acoustics to electronics and synthesizers. Music changes with the available technology.

My first taste of Miles has got to be Tutu, a mid-'80s release dedicated to the South African Bishop. I feel myself lucky because from there I only had to look back in retrospect at the variety of landscapes along his musical path instead of being cautious or shocked every time Miles would take that detour. There is a part in all of us that resists change.

Growth, extension and innovation are the key words. After a stint in Billy Eckstine's band, Miles was accepted at Juilliard. However, refusing to limit himself, he left the scruples (and racism) of Juilliard and instead studied music in the clubs like Minton and other bucket-of-blood bars, not on glamorous 52nd Street.

He played bebop with the legends (Bird and Dizzy) then moved on to harmonize with the likes of Coltrane, Cannonball and Bill Evans. He played free-jazz and fusion with different working bands whose members included Wayne Shorter and Joe Zawinul who later formed Weather Report among others, and who have successful solo careers.

Going into the late '80s, he dabbled with funk/rock/fusion.

He has played with almost everyone. From Charlie Parker to Kenny Garrett, from "Klook" Clarke to Rick Wellman, he has inspired many musicians to move on and exhaust different styles. And he served as a link to the different episodes of modern jazz while still trying to quench his insatiable desire to learn and do something different, searching for new sonorities. A non-myopic listener will surely be left behind.

He criticized musicians who resisted change and held on to the old ways. They are museum pieces, easy to understand according to Miles. He characterizes them as too lazy to try something different or as fooled by critics who like what they have done and who tell them they should not change. With an iron will, he was not ashamed to stand for his beliefs and feelings whether covering Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" or showing up at the recording of the anti-apartheid Sun City album.

He was blunt, whether at the dinner table in the White House or on stage in Vancouver where he told Wynton Marsalis to leave the stage during a set. This was bound to happen as the traditonalist Marsalis is the antithesis to Miles Davis. While Marsalis is silky scarves, white tuxedos and tranquility, Miles Davis was studded-leather, black dashikis and turbulence, according to Jack Thomas.

He was never afraid to speak his mind, criticizing Coltrane's later works as monotonous along with Tyner's collaboration. In fact many grew to fear and dislike him because his bluntness and his brutal honesty sometimes lead to himself getting as hurt as the people he criticized. But that was Miles, very outspoken. His forthrightness got in the way.

Miles' eagerness and curiosity was reflected in his work. He played forte on medium and fast tempos and he supported a heroin habit which he then kicked when he wanted to take up boxing.

It is impossible to single out one particular piece of work from Miles' prolific career but the languorous sounds created on the Kind of Blue album from 1959 may represent Miles being miles ahead of his time.

He went to the studio with only musical sketches distributed to the other members of his talented quintet but recorded the album in one "take." The challenge and objective was to capture the spontaneity and subjectivity of the mood of the moment while maintaining collective coherent thinking. One cut from this process is the now standard piece -- "All Blues," composed of 5 scales with each played as long as the soloist wishes until he has completed the series.

Miles, your series is complete. Legends with your kind of intensity are not supposed to remain mortal as long as you have. Thanks so much.

AN EVENING WITH ELECTRIC I

BY JOHN GRIFFIN

They're a band.

They're an attitude.

They're an alternative way of life.

They're electric i.

And yes, they spell the name in lower case, don't ask me why.

This local quintet, fomerly known to Houston music fans as Wasted Potential, has been making the rounds on the club circuit in town and attracting quite a following.

Musically, they are a conundrum, an undefinable pastiche of influences which synthesize into a final product filled with buoyancy, emotion, technical expertise and soul.

In person they're every bit as demented as that preceeding paragraph might lead you to believe.

I had the pleasure of spending an enlightening evening with the band Tuesday, and found out some interesting factoids as well as some juicy, sordid rumors.

When I finally found the "band house," located in a sleepy little hamlet in the Heights, five doors down from the address I was given, the gang was all there.

The bare chested and somewhat hairy, Dangerous Drummin' Dan Smith, met me in the front yard with words of welcome and apology, open beer in hand.

The ambience was warm.

For those couple of you not familiar with electric i, they consist of the following cast of miscreants:

Chris Madland: Also known as The Round-Framed Retentive Guy, Chris is the 26 year-old bassist and sometimes backup vocalist. Chris likes sleeping. Lots. He's also quite a competitor at Galaga and the other video game at House of Guys. Chris also likes women named after light aircraft. Sorry ladies, he's got a Piper Cub in the hangar these days.

Dave Payne: Dave is the guy who looks a bit like Tuck Andress, the virtuoso guitar half of Tuck and Patti. Like Tuck, Dave gives the axe a good working over, deftly handling rhythm and lead pieces for the band. Dave's interests include coffee, chicken sandwiches, Flintstone vitamins, trivia questions and shouting "Yeah" during solos. Dave recently completed therapy at Spring Shadows Glen in hopes of curing a severe case of guitar face, that Turrette's Syndromesque affliction which plagues most guitar aces.

Dan Smith: Dan lives in the house where the band practices with his DOG, beating on his drum kit well into the night. A huge fan of Neil Peart, Dan likes smoking. Lots. (he turned down a $200 offer from the other band members to quit) And annoying the band. Dan does not like 200 ft. magnolia trees falling on his van during lightning storms, like last Sunday. The band now carries their gear in compact cars.

Rob Flippo: Really Randy Rob, as he is affectionately known to a handful of people, tickles the fake ivories and wears earplugs. He, Chris and Dan all used to attend Rice University where they played in a hep little jazz combo and wore bad suits. Rob likes cheap sci-fi novels and eating.

Laurie Reese: The blonde and bubbly Miss Reese is quite a songbird. She was a nominee in the last Public News music poll in the category of best female vocalist. She and Dave are graduates of the UH Honors Program and in a clandestine side interview, told me they were way smarter than their Rice counterparts. Right now she is working on a graduate degree in Drama at our esteemed university. In addition to being the best looking band member, Laurie likes dogs, nudity and tripping ... over small things. Laurie's Ford Escort Wagon is leaking coolant again, so she also enjoys wealthy suitors.

Gary Rogerson: Gary is the band's sound man and they recently voted to consider him an actual member of the band. He likes jelly donuts.

During the days, all of the band members earn a respectable living as productive members of the Houston work force. Dan, Chris and Rob all pull Embarrassing Downtown Tie Gigs while Dave learns guitar wannabees the tricks of his trade at the Drum, Keyboard and Guitar Shop. Laurie looks for rich guys.

After some preliminary banter I asked the band how such an odd assortment of folk got together.

Laurie: "Well, I saw them at a show at Rice one night. They were wearing some kind of strange polyester Salvation Army duds and looking bad."

Chris (miffed): "They were not polyester."

Dan: "I've never worn anything polyester."

Chris (petulant): "No. They were not polyester."

Laurie: "Okay. I was kind of far away, but it looked like polyester to me. Whatever it was did not look good."

Rob (disgruntled): "Chris wanted us to look `nice' for the gig so we wore suits and ties."

Chris (angry): "We did look bad then, you know. We were young. I was kind of hoping Laurie could help us with our image once she joined the band. I don't think you really had to bring that up. "

Laurie: "I'm sorry."

Chris (peeved): "Let's just stay away from that kind of stuff."

Laurie: "I said I'm sorry, okay."

Chris (shouting): "Whatever. Just drop it."

The mood suddenly became somber and everyone kind of stopped talking for a moment.

DC: "Maybe I should just leave."

Dan: "No man. It's cool. It's cool. Here ... have another beer. You don't have to go."

DC: "You sure."

Dan: "Yeah man. It's cool."

A few minutes passed and things picked back up. Egos fell back into kilter.

I asked the band about their upcoming shows.

Chris (checking his electronic date book): "Well, we have a pretty big gig coming up this Saturday as a matter of fact at Rudyard's."

THREE EXPELLED FOR RELIGIOUS BELIEFS

FALWELL'S COLLEGE OUSTS STUDENTS FOR ATTENDING RIVAL CHURCH

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

Three students who were kicked out of a Baptist-affiliated university because of their religious beliefs may seek legal action against the school for its actions, which have kindled a theological dipute between the Rev. Jerry Falwell and the United Pentecostal Church.

Seniors Chuck Groom, 32, of New York, Guy Redmer, 21, of New Jersey, and Mohammed Yacobi of Morocco, were expelled Sept. 20 from Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va., after an appeals review board upheld the recommendations of the school's dean and Falwell, who serves as college chancellor.

The students, their attorney and a pastor say they were kicked out for worshiping at the off-campus United Pentecostal Church. School officials say the students' refusal to obey the rules was the real reason why they were asked to leave, although they admit the students were asked to sign a form stating that they would not attend United Pentecostal church services.

"They were not dismissed because of their beliefs but rather their refusal to stop proselytizing other students," says Vernon Brewer, vice president for student development.

Brewer says the students were "pretty brazen in their approach" to other students and that in their first hearing, one of the men told Brewer he would go to hell for his actions against the students.

The students, however, say they were simply adhering to their religious beliefs.

"They make it sound like we were standing up on tables in the cafeteria and preaching," says Groom, a biblical counseling student. "That's not the case at all. If someone asks me my religious beliefs, I think I have the right to share them."

Two of the students -- Groom and Yacobi -- attended Liberty on full scholarships.

Douglas Klinedinst, pastor of the United Pentecostal Church where the three worship, says the students were really dismissed because of the imcompatibility of the United Pentecostal Church's doctrine to Liberty's.

Liberty was founded as a Baptist college but has since touted itself as a private liberal arts school that adheres to a Baptist doctrinal position.

The proselytizing accusations "that are coming out now are just to justify (Liberty's) religious differences," Klinedinst says. "Dr. Falwell has publicly denounced the United Pentecostal Church for being cultish and heretical."

Klinedinst says the United Pentecostal Church is different from other Pentecostal churches. United Pentecostal worshipers do not believe in the Trinity, but rather believe there is one God who has manifested himself in three roles.

The church also baptizes people only in name of Jesus, not in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, and worshipers believe that speaking in tongues is essential to the salvation of the soul.

Falwell told students and faculty about two weeks ago that the United Pentecostal doctrine was not compatible with Liberty's and that they were not permitted to attend services at the United Pentecostal church.

Falwell stated that much of the dismissal hinged on the students' non-compliance with a university policy requiring students who want to permanently worship outside of Liberty University churches to have written school permission.

At the hearings, Brewer says the students were asked to sign a form saying they would not attend United Pentecostal Church services and that they would stop proselytizing, but were not asked to renounce their beliefs.

Redmer disagrees.

"They kept saying repeatedly that they weren't trying to challenge me for what I believe or to make me feel guilty, yet all of their questions were about what I believe, like `Do you believe in the Trinity?' Then they handed me a form and asked me to renounce my beliefs."

Redmer adds that when the hearings began, about 20 Liberty students attended the United Pentecostal Church. He says only he, Groom and Yacobi decided not to sign the school's form.

The students' attorney, Owen Taylor, is looking into legal options but says, "We see this as Christian versus Christian and the students want to avoid that."

Still, Taylor says the students have a legitimate legal grievance against the school for many reasons. He cites the lack of judicial process in the hearings and possible freedom of religion violations. Although Liberty is a private university, it is tax-exempt and is accredited by two large educational institutions that have standards for members.

Brewer would not comment on a possible lawsuit against the school.

CAMPUS MOURNS LOSS OF TECHNOLOGY PROF

BY PAM JEMISON

William Forkner, professor of technology at UH for 22 years, passed away on Sept 24th.

Along with his wife of 50 years, Gayle, Forkner left behind a brother, three daughters and several grandchildren. Services were held Sept. 26 at the John Knox Presbyterian Church.

Forkner began teaching in 1941, the year the United States entered World War II, at a woodshop class in Dewey, Okla. Before coming to UH, Forkner taught in Oklahoma, New Mexico and Colorado. He had been the president of the Industrial Arts Associations for the states of New Mexico and Colorado.

Besides being a professor of technology here, Forkner was previously program director for the industrial arts major and chairperson for the Department of Technical Organization. Recently, however, Forkner had strictly been teaching.

Robert Gadd said Forkner began to limit himself to teaching because because he "didn't like the red tape" of other positions. Gadd said his former professor and colleague "just wanted to teach."

And teach he did, to about 10,000 students over a 50-year teaching career.

Forkner was recently honored at a reception "Celebrating 50 Years of Teaching Excellence," organized by Gadd. During the reception, Forkner received the Channel 39 Class Act Award for teachers.

It was to be the last of many awards Forkner received for his teaching, including the 1972 Teacher Excellence Award at UH.

Most of those attending the reception said they were influenced by Forkner to enter the teaching profession.

Gadd said he kept resisting Forkner's insistence that he begin teaching, but he finally succumbed. Gadd freely admits that "he's the reason I'm a teacher now."

Sharon O'Neill, chairperson of the Department of Industrial Technology, said Gadd's story was not surprising. O'Neill said Forkner promoted, "the very best in students in order for them to achieve their highest potential."

She described Forkner as "an orchestra teacher who was able to pull out the best in people."

"Students know him best as a master teacher, an extremely caring person and a facilitator of instruction," O'Neill said.

The William R. (Doc) Forkner Scholarship Fund has been established at the College of Technology. Those interested in contributing can send their money in care of Jeanie Ralfton.

TAX PAYERS LOSING CONFIDENCE IN FUNDING HIGHER EDUCATION

BY MAURY HAMMOND

Colleges and universities are not assembly line operations like commercial industries. They are in fact economically wasteful.

"That is why it is hard from a public policy standpoint to justify to the average taxpayer, who did not go to college, the spending of millions of their tax dollars on higher education," state Sen. Carl Parker said.

Parker, chair of the Texas Senate Education Committee, made his remarks during one session of a day-long conference held Wednesday at the UH Hilton.

The conference titled "Scholarship and Community: The Public University in the 21st Century," brought together scholars, administrators and public officials to discuss issues in the higher education community.

Parker's remarks during the session concerning the relationship between scholarship and public policy indicated he felt scholars should come down from their "ivory towers" and think about how they are perceived by the public.

"There's an old saying which I think applies to what we're talking about," he said. "It goes, `if you're so smart, why ain't you rich,'" he said.

The conference, organized by the UH Faculty Senate, was called to address the points brought out by a controversial but highly touted Carnegie Foundation Report published last year concerning the deteriorating state of public universities nationwide.

The report, while indicating that many problems have been caused by decreases in higher education funding, especially in Texas, also points to decreased taxpayer confidence in higher education.

Throughout his portion of the session, Parker asked the attendees to tell him what to do to get more money for UH and other public universities.

"Everybody wants a quality product," Parker said. "I, as the salesman of education for this state, have to be able to convince the taxpayer (customer in this sense) that the investment of their tax dollars in people at universities is a sound one.

"I'm asking you. Paint me a picture of the perfect graduate. Then I'll have somthing to justify more money. In other words, tell them what he'll look like so they'll know him when they see him," Parker said.

Leonard Minsky, executive director of the National Coalition for Universities in the Public Interest, continued the discussion by again asking the group to get involved, but in a different way.

Citing the history since the end of WWII, Minsky told of the gradual taking over of decision making duties on university and college campuses by new generations of administrators which resulted in the current situation many see: politically impotent faculty.

Several times Minsky referred to recent legislation going before the house including the 1991 National Security Education Act which is now in the House of Representatives. When he asked attending conferees if anyone knew of it, no one raised their hand.

The act, Minsky said, would clear the way for federal funding of coursework in industrial espionage, CIA history and various Pentagon machinations.

"In light of what I've just told you, the response in Washington by educators to this type of legislation is dismally small. People are being too silent. You have to go out and join the fight," Minsky said.

Echoing Parker's statements, Minsky compared recent drops in consumer confidence in advertising, product promotion and overall retail industry slump to what seems to be parallel negative attitudes toward higher education funding.

"This will result in the commercialization of the university in the future. In fact it is already happening," he said. If educators don't find out how the university and college communities are radically changing, Minsky said they will become, "the service centers of multi-national corporations, the Pentagon and CIA."

Faculty Senate Chairman John Bernard, who coordinated the conference, said the meeting was the first of its kind for UH. Other topics covered during the day included Current Research Issues in Higher Education, Varieties of Scholarship and Faculty Development and Growth.

CULTURAL DIVERSITY SUBJECT OF WEEK-LONG CONFERENCE

MEET TO LOOK AT POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, FREE EXPRESSION OF IDEAS ON CAMPUS

BY DAVE DAVIS

A new concept designed to increase cultural awareness on campus has evolved into a week-long event during the month of October.

Diversity Week, which resulted from a collaborative effort by administrators, faculty and several campus organizations, is expected to address topics of growing concern to campuses across the country.

The project is the brainchild of Grace Butler, associate vice president for faculty affairs. Butler said universities all over America are experiencing problems with race relations, and the free expression of ideas.

Butler said she suggested the idea of a series of seminars to address these issues to a colleague, and she received very positive feedback.

"Soon, several other administrators and campus organizations were telling me that they wanted to get involved," Butler said.

Formerly, the Council of Ethnic Organizations sponsored "awareness" weeks for individual racial or ethnic groups. This is the first university-sponsored project designed to increase awareness of all minority groups simultaneously.

UH has become one of the most diverse campuses in the United States, with 21 cultural student organizations registered with campus activities and more than 80 countries represented in the student body. The event is expected to showcase the changing makeup of the UH campus.

In the past five years, black enrollment at UH has increased by 20 percent, Asian enrollment is up 30 percent from previous decades, and Hispanic enrollment has skyrocketed 60 percent from five years ago. Additionally, the number of handicapped students seeking services at UH is expected to double in the next few years.

Butler has secured a diverse lineup of guest speakers to reflect the variety of groups on campus, including Rafael Angel Calderon Fournier, president of the Republic of Costa Rica, and Martin Luther King, III, son of the slain civil rights leader of the '60s.

However, Butler is quick to point out she is most proud of the fact that the majority of the speakers scheduled for the event are members of the UH faculty who are volunteering their services.

The event will also showcase workshops on sexual harassment, on dealing with students with disabilities and on counseling "non-traditional student populations." The $20,000 the effort is expected to cost was appropriated by the president's office.

One of the more pertinent issues to be addressed by Diversity Week is the growing controversy surrounding political correctness on college campuses.

Butler said this subject is particularly important to the UH administration because she feels President Marguerite Ross Barnett has tried to foster an atmosphere of open communication since she took office.

Andrew Monzon, Students' Association vice president, said he feels this is an issue at the center of campus politics.

"This is a topical and current subject, one that I think many students are concerned about, and I'm glad it's being addressed," Monzon said.

PISTOL-PACKING LAW STUDENT ARRESTED

UH POLICE FIND CONCEALED GUN IN MISSING PURSE

Law student Kara Elise Tips, 24, was arrested and charged Tuesday with a third-degree felony for possession of a firearm on university property, police officials said.

The arrest occurred after a UH Police officer found a purse and upon opening it for identification, found a Smith and Wesson .38 caliber handgun, UHPD Assistant Police Chief Frank Cempa said.

UHPD Cpl. Larry Tidwell was at the Law School at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday when he spotted an unattended purse on the first floor in Teaching Unit II. He searched for the owner of the purse for about 10 minutes and then looked inside to find some identification when he found the handgun, in a belt clip holster, containing four bullets, Cempa said.

At 7:15 p.m., Tips came to the station in search of her purse. "Tidwell questioned whether she was Tips, she said yes, and then she indicated the gun was hers," Cempa said.

The district attorney's office was contacted, Cempa said, and charged her with a third-degree felony.

She was taken to the Harris County Jail at 12:46 p.m., Cempa said.

Had the gun not been found on UH property, Cempa said she would have been charged with a Class A misdemeanor.

However, under 46.04 of the penal code, it is a felony if a weapon is brought to either a public or private school under the charge of Places Weapons Prohibited, Cempa said.

Regarding the city's rampant crime, Cempa said, "We have to remain neutral; we have to go by the law. I empathize, but two wrongs don't make a right," Cempa said.

"We are fortunate Cpl. Tidwell came across the purse rather than a child who is mischievous," he said.

Assistant District Attorney Winston Cochran, who filed the charges, said there will probably be a preliminary hearing today.

If convicted of third-degree felony, Tips could face a possible confinement of up to 10 years and a fine of up to $10,000, Cochran said.

But, Cochran said it is possible the charge could be lowered to a Class C misdemeanor because this is her first offense.

UH interim Senior Vice President for Student Affairs Elwyn Lee said, "I have a great feeling of empathy and sympathy for people who want to carry guns, especially with what's been going on."

Lee said the question of how students arrested by UHPD should be handled is an issue addressed by the Arrest Policy Task Force.

"I think that we ought to try to handle most of the things that we can handle on campus," Lee said.

He said there are clearly some offenses that should be handled by the district attorney's office -- and that Tip's arrest could be one.

"Look at what happened to the female deputy who was killed recently -- women feel afraid. Law students put in long hours and leave buildings very late," Lee said.

He said he is not condoning carrying a firearm but instead questions when UHPD should use discretion and when they should not.

"This is something indicative of the range of problems which exist and are we going to run everything downtown.

"If she is convicted, she will forever have to explain it all her life, and it could deny her from being able to take the bar exam and it is a very serious thing in terms of her future employment," Lee said.

Tips declined to comment on the matter on the advice of her attorney.