PRO-CHOICE RALLY HELD FOR ACTION

MAJORITY WANTS TO KEEP BALANCE

BY STEVE GARRETT

UH's Progressive Student Network will hold a rally on campus Monday to remind students they have a choice.

"Our primary goal is to let people know that pro-choice people are the majority in this country," said Amy Maldaldo, chair of the pro-choice division of the student organization. "Our second goal is to bring home to students who are pro-choice that we need them to be active and get up and vote."

The rally will also focus on the possibility of Roe vs. Wade being overturned, tipping the balance of freedom of choice in favor of conservatism, Maldaldo said.

The nomination of Clarence Thomas to fill the U.S. Supreme Court seat vacated by Thurgood Marshall is a pivotal matter, she said.

"It has to do with the extreme conservative bias that is being given to the Supreme Court by President Bush," Maldaldo said. "If Thomas is not confirmed, it makes no difference because Bush will nominate someone else."

Don Treschman, a member of the pro-life group Rescue America, feels the confirmtion will right the wrong that Roe vs. Wade created. Treschman said the senators who headed the nomination committee are the ones who should be scrutinized.

"You have to examine the motive of the people who are putting him on the hot seat. They're all left-wing fanatics," he said.

Gordon Ohlhausen of Houston Pro Life Action Network believes Thomas will support the pro-life position.

Frank San Miguel, a junior majoring in journalism and member of PSN, criticized acts of violence he said have been used by the pro-lifers as tactics to devalue the pro-choice movement.

"From 1985 to 1988 there were, I believe, 166 cases of hate mail, 200 bombings and 2 kidnappings,' San Miguel said.

In one case, a pregnant woman in New York was kicked in the stomach and had a miscarriage on the way to the clinic, San Miguel said.

But Treschman said San Miguel was wrong.

"This is the rhetoric of the pro-abortionists. (That) whole industry is built on lies," Treschman said. "The old adage comes into play --the lie repeated becomes the truth."

The rally will be at noon Monday in front of the UC Satellite.

*******************************************************

COOGS' DEFENSE MUST CONTAIN BU PLAYMAKER

BY JAVIER GONZALEZ

When one mentions Baylor, defense usually comes to mind, but this year Bears quarterback J.J. Joe and the offense are enjoying a Cougar-like season.

The Bears have always had a tremendous rushing attack, but this season Head Coach Grant Teaff's team has been able to burn defenses through the air.

Coming into Saturday's game, in the Dome, the No. 11 Baylor Bears are ranked No. 9 in total offense, averaging 476 yards per game, while Houston is ranked No. 11, averaging 467 yards per game.

Like Houston's Run-and-Shoot, the key to the Baylor offensive attack is the quarterback. Joe, a sophomore, is having the best season a Baylor quarterback has had since now-Houston Oiler backup QB, Cody Carlson.

Joe enters the Houston game among the top passers in the nation. He is the No. 5 leading collegiate passer with a 177.5 quarterback rating, 50 points ahead of Cougar quarterback David Klingler. Joe has completed 41 of 61 for 794 yards and four touchdowns.

"It all starts with the quarterback," Teaff said. "We are better offensively because Joe's more mature. We have matured offensively as a unit."

As a redshirt freshman last year, Joe overcame being listed third on the depth chart to almost winning Southwest Conference Newcomer of the Year. He finished the year completing 43 of 73 for 714 yards, five touchdowns and two interceptions.

The Houston defense, ranked 92nd out of 109 Division 1-A schools in total defense, must contend with Joe's elusiveness in the backfield. His scrambling ability allows him to gain time to find his receivers.

Houston's pass defense ranks 96th, and is susceptible to the big play. Joe loves to go to his big play receiver Melvin Bonner. Joe and Bonner have connected for touchdowns of 72 and 75 yards. Joe's four touchdown tosses this season have been longer than 37 yards.

"They have the obvious momentum coming into the game," Houston Head Coach John Jenkins said. "Our defense has to regain the rhythm we enjoyed during the Louisiana Tech game."

The Bears, however, have not beaten the Cougars since 1988. Baylor has lost by scores of 27-24, 66-10 and last year's 31-15 in Waco.

Jenkins said his team needed last week's open date to prepare for Baylor's running offense.

STUDENTS SHOULD ACT ON, TAKE NOTICE OF RAINFORESTS' DWINDLING RESOURCES

BY RACHEL WOODS

A Houston businessman advised a group of 20 UH Rainforest Action Group members to get "pissed off" about deforestation and its effects on the planet.

Curt Clemenson, an expert environmentalist and executive director of the Houston Rainforest Action Group, presented a slide show during the group's Wednesday meeting.

Clemenson's theme for the slide show was "Why we should save the rainforests?"

"Fifty to 100 acres of rainforest the size of Italy are being destroyed every year," Clemenson said.

Destruction of the rainforest would increase flooding, drought and erosion, the Rainforest Action Network newsletter reported. More than 40 percent of all rainforest areas have been destroyed, but in 40 to 50 years all rainforests could be completely gone if deforestation continues, the newsletter also reported.

The reasons for saving rainforests presented in Clemenson's slides were to prevent global warming and preserve biodiversity and food crops. Native tribes also still live in rainforest habitat.

The reigning "bad boys" of deforestation are the Japanese and several multinational corporations, Clemenson said. The Japanese buy rainforest land in Borneo to tear the forests down to build timbermills, Clemenson said. The timbermills run 24 hours a day, an alarming rate that will destroy the forests in 10 years if continued.

Mitsubishi is one of the biggest exploiters of the rainforest, Amy Lane, the founder of the UH Rainforest Action Group, said. RAN and RAG are currently boycotting all Mitsubishi products. The Japanese have no regard for the natives, Lane said. They run them off their land and force the natives to live in tenaments.

RAN's goals are to educate the public, demonstrate against deforestation and raise money, Lane said.

The money is donated to twinning programs like Cultural Survival and Program for Belief, which buy rainforest acreage and give the land back to the natives, Lane said. The twinning programs also hire experts to help the natives cultivate the land. The experts help the natives make money from their land.

Clemenson said RAN is "winning big battles." The network's boycott of Coca-Cola after the company bought about 200,000 acres of rainforest to grow oranges for Minute Maid products, led to the company's decision to leave the rainforest. Coca-Cola then donated 50 percent of the land they'd purchased to Program for Belief.

Burger King experienced a 20 percent sales decrease, said Clemenson, due to a worldwide boycott by RAN because the company imported rainforest beef.

According to the RAN newsletter, Guatemala and Columbia will lose one third of their forest by the year 2000. Also, all primary rainforest has been destroyed in India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Haiti.

BEARS' DOTSON EYES LOMBARDI

BY JASON LUTHER

When Houston lines up against Baylor Saturday, the first person UH quarterback David Klingler will notice will be the Bears' 65, 264-pound defensive tackle Santana Dotson.

A Lombardi Award and Outland Trophy candidate, Dotson is one of the top-rated tackles in the country.

The Lombardi Award is like the Heisman Trophy for defensive players and Dotson is the first one to admit the thought of winning the trophy plays on his mind.

"I can't help but think a lot about it," Dotson said. "I just have to put it out of my mind during the game, stay focused and contribute to the team effort."

If anything, dreams of the Lombardi have only motivated Dotson.

His performance through Baylor's first four games has strengthened his chances for post-season honors. Dotson has 19 tackles, including three behind the line and one sack. But most impressive are his two blocked kicks.

One of those blocks set up the winning scoring drive in Baylor's 16-14 upset of Colorado, last year's co-national champion.

Dotson, who graduated from Houston's Jack Yates High School, said the play was one of the highlights of his career.

"It was the biggest game I've ever played in," Dotson said. "It was even better because it was an all- around team effort."

Dotson has made a great impact on the Baylor defense since his freshman year (1988) when he was named Southwest Conference Defensive Newcomer of the Year. As a sophomore, Dotson was consensus All-SWC with 53 tackles, including 29 unassisted and six behind the line.

Dotson was again named All-SWC in 1990 as a junior with 44 tackles, including nine behind the line for 33 yards lost.

If Baylor goes on to win the conference this year, Dotson's defensive leadership will likely be an important factor.

This will come as no surprise to Baylor Head Coach Grant Teaff who recruited Dotson from Yates.

Yates compiled a 36-4 record including a state championship with the help of Dotson's leadership in his three years as a letterman.

He was a Texas Football Top 30 recruit and was named Adidas High School All-American in his senior year.

UNDERGRAD COUNCIL RELEASES REPORT

CLAIMS LOW STUDENT RETENTION RATES SHOW `BLATANT WASTE'

BY ANTON P. MONTANO

With an emphasis on student retention and core curriculum development, members of the Undergraduate Council submitted recommendations Thursday to be considered in the All University Planning Council's construction of a six-year plan.

In the White Paper document, council members said UH's low retention rates exposed a pattern of "blatant waste" because it was "inefficient to invest resources in recruiting students, unless an appropriate investment is made in retention."

"No doubt about it, retention has been very much a concern of the Undergraduate Council," said Rosalie Maddocks, council chair.

"I think we have always tried to emphasize providing quality service to students -- not just the mass of students, but to the individual's needs as well," Maddocks said.

Between the fall 1989 and spring 1990 semesters, more than 800 freshmen did not return to UH, according to a fall 1991 Academic Probation Study by the Office of Planning and Policy Analysis.

The White Paper says students "need more help to succeed at this institution than we are currently providing."

Council member Hyland Packard, director of Academic Advising, said the council was considering a number of student support programs, including placement tests, a one-credit course to initiate first-time-in-college freshmen and giving academic notice and automatic assistance, instead of academic probation, to first-semester students.

Closely connected with retention, the White Paper also says UH's core curriculum has "never been fully funded" and 10 years of increased student enrollment has "not been matched by increased support to units teaching these courses."

Packard said many educators are concerned about the possible under-emphasis of undergraduate education and over-emphasis on research.

"I'm sure that I and other people hope that the effect of the Undergraduate Council's White Paper and the voices of others in the planning process will restore a balance to the educational system," Packard said.

The White Paper says the most qualified, tenured and tenure-track faculty should teach all core courses and efforts should be made to retain the best faculty.

In the absence of additional resources, the White Paper also suggests the university "cut student enrollment to the level that can be handled."

The recommendations in the White Paper are in response to a memo sent out Aug. 26 by Interim Sr. Vice President of Academic Affairs James Pickering.

Sent also to members of the Faculty Senate, Academic Council, Graduate and Professional Studies Council, Research Council and Staff Council, the memo asks for recommendations in the long-term direction of university resources.

The Undergraduate Council's White Paper, however, says "the advisory governance structure is not allowed to function."

According to the document, existing governance bodies tend to be overlooked when it comes to important issues. Instead, they are occupied with too much attention to detail.

"When you create ad-hoc committees, the permanent councils tend to feel bypassed.

"Sometimes there is the sense that people have addressed the same issues before," Packard said.

FLORIDA SCHOOLS SET CAP

FUNDING CUTBACK CURBS ENROLLMENT

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

The Florida Board of Regents has decided to freeze enrollment at nine state universities because of anticipated budget shortfalls.

Beginning next year, admission to the universities will be limited to the same number of students as this year. Currently, about 183,000 students attend the schools.

In addition, the board agreed to delay work on a 10th university scheduled for 1995-96 and has suspended mandatory summer school for students.

The move comes after increased enrollment, less money from the state government and indications that a $582 million shortfall in the state's current budget will cause even more cuts to the state university system.

"The board said it's time to stop," said Michael Armstrong, the state system's director of planning. "We are going to stop taking new students until the legislature starts funding us."

Armstrong said Florida already ranks 49th nationally in the number of degrees granted in relationship to its population and a 50 percent increase in the number of high school graduates by 1995 is expected.