COURT RULING INCREASES FEES FOR PHOTOCOPIED MATERIALS

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

A judge's ruling has increased the cost of photocopied materials frequently used in college courses and created headaches for students and professors this fall.

The March ruling held that Kinko's Graphics Corp. violated the 1976 Copyright Act by producing and distributing unauthorized packets of photocopied material.

The decision now requires copy businesses to receive permission from publishers before material can be reprinted.

That process can take up to 10 weeks and costs more money since many businesses have been forced to join a Copyright Clearing Center. Most of the money paid to the clearing centers involves royalties for materials used.

"We've been really aggressive about persuading professors to create their own packets so they don't have copyrighted material," Fred Grady, a night manager at Astro's Copy Center in Lincoln, Neb., told the Daily Nebraskan.

At the University of Michigan, in Ann Arbor, many professors have resorted to placing materials on reserve in the library.

Copy shops, in the meantime, are feeling the crunch.

"Relative to last year, we probably have 30 percent of the course packs that we had this time last year," said Chris Sheets, an Alphagraphics employee in Ann Arbor.

Because the court ruling is so recent, many centers are scrambling to form a system for copyright clearance. At the University of Arizona, the school's printing and publishing support services is looking to establish a Campus Copyright Task Force.

Cheryl Emde, owner of a Kinko's in Tempe, told the Arizona Daily Wildcat that Kinko's has contacted more than 3,000 publishers since the ruling and most of the publishers were unprepared for requests, causing delays in packet production. Sometimes the requests were refused.

While most are trying to comply with the ruling, some are still fighting it.

"We're not adhering to the decision...we think it will be appealed and won," said Jim Smith, owner of Michigan Document Service Inc. Smith said his business is not obtaining persmission to reprint material but is sending publishing houses 1 cent for each page copied.

"We are not accepting the rights of the copyright holder to say how much they want," he said.

*******************************************************

CHARGES DROPPED AGAINST LAW STUDENT WITH GUN

The Harris County district attorney Thursday dismissed the felony charge filed against Kara Elise Tips, who was arrested and charged with possesion of a firearm on university property last week.

Tips, a 24-year-old law student, was arrested and charged last Tuesday night after a UHPD officer found her purse unattended at the law school with a .38 caliber pistol in it, UHPD Assistant Police Chief Frank Cempa said.

When Tips came to retrieve her purse from the police station, she was arrested and the district attorney was contacted.

Assistant District Attorney Winston Cochran charged Tips with a third-degree felony for possession of a firearm on university property.

"In two words, this stinks," said Cochran, responding to the charges being dismissed.

It was a good case, Cochran said, adding a reduction to a misdeamenor charge was a more viable option instead of the dismissal.

But the prosecutor for the case, Assistant District Attorney Stephanie Stevens, said she dismissed the case Thursday morning after Tips agreed to forfeit the weapon to the state.

Because the gun was not in Tips' possession at the time of the arrest, Stevens said she felt the case was too weak to prosecute.

"It was an extremely thin case," she said.

The law doesn't state that a person can't own a gun, she said. It states one cannot carry a gun.

"People are scared, and I feel a jury would feel sympathy (toward Tips), but that is not the reason I dismissed the case. The fact remains it is still against the law," Stevens said.

Tips said she was surprised the district attorney's office filed the charges against her in the first place.

She said she called the police department when she heard a police officer had found her purse.

"I was so concerned about my credit cards and checkbook. If I would have known what was going to happen, I would have gone home -- I really had no idea," Tips said.

Although Tips never explicitly said the gun was hers, she said she was unaware bringing a gun to campus was a felony.

After the district attorney filed charges, Tips was taken to the Harris County Jail at 12:46 a.m. where she remained until 9:30 a.m. Wednesday morning.

She said her bail, set at $2,000, was posted, but the computers went down for more than four hours, postponing her release.

UH police officers were very nice to her, she said, but her treatment at the Harris County Jail was different.

"I have nothing to compare it with. It was degrading and humiliating, but it was a learning experience," Tips said.

But Tips' worries are not over -- she is also subject to disciplinary action by UH as stated in section 5.11 of the Student Handbook.

Dean of Students Willie Munson said the maximum punishment against Tips could be expulsion from the university.

Munson said every case is decided on an individual basis and includes an examination of problems the student has encountered at UH previously.

"Crime is a big issue whether you are on campus or off, but the question is who's role is it to provide protection," Munson said.

He said he feels sympathetic to people wanting to feel safe, but pointed out the UH community can contact UHPD or the Cougar Patrol for an escort to their cars.

Cempa said he was puzzled the charge was dismissed.

"You're dealing with a serious offense, and with what's going on at the Houston Independent School System, I don't think people want learning institutions to be havens for firearms.

"We did our job. If anyone brings a firearm on this institution, we're going to arrest them and call the DA's office to prosecute," Cempa said.

STUDENT FAINTS, CLASS GOES ON

BY BRADEN BROWN

Students on campus are outraged because a professor continued to lecture a class Monday morning while a student lay unconscious on the classroom floor.

Sociology professor Zena Blau continued to lecture her 10 a.m. Introduction to Sociology class while senior Leslie A. Harris lay unconscious on the classroom floor, witnesses said.

Other students in the classroom said Harris collapsed around 10:15 a.m. and was unconscious for about 10 minutes. Harris was assisted by students sitting nearby as Blau continued to lecture the class until 10:50 a.m.

Campus police and paramedics arrived on the scene around 10:30 a.m., witness said.

"She (Harris) collapsed and hit her head on the desk in front of where she was sitting," a classmate who asked to remain anonymous said. "I can't believe that Blau continued to lecture us as though nothing happened."

Blau continued lecturing the class while paramedics treated Harris for possible head and neck injuries.

Blau said she realized the severity of the situation, but was not completely sure what steps to take.

"I was not sure what was wrong with her, but I saw that she was being helped by students sitting next to her," Blau said. "There was nothing else I could do so I calmed down and tried to keep the situation calm.

Students were outraged by Blau's actions and complained to Anthony Dworkin, chair of the Sociology department.

"Some students did talk to me about the matter, it is currently being looked into," Dworkin said.

Harris was taken to Hermann Hospital where she was examined and released Monday afternoon, hospital officials said. The nature of her injuries was not disclosed.

BAYLOR DEFENSE FORCES SEVEN TURNOVERS IN 38-21 RUNAWAY

BY JASON LUTHER

The Cougars lost their first conference game and third straight overall as they were pounded by Baylor 38-21 Saturday.

Turnovers plagued Houston as they gave the ball away on seven out of 15 possessions.

UH quarterback David Klingler accounted for five of the turnovers, tossing three interceptions and fumbling twice.

"I could have kicked myself," said Klingler. "I'll take responsibility for having five turnovers in a game personally. That's not giving yourself a chance.

"You can't do that and win."

However, the Bears did their share of the work by keeping the pressure on Klingler and making big plays on offense.

Bears' quarterback J.J. Joe completed 16 of 23 passes for 262 yards and two touchdown passes, including a 77-yarder to X-back Melvin Bonner to put the game on ice.

Tailback David Mims provided the ground threat for Baylor with 98 yards on 16 carries. He also contributed 36 yards receiving with a touchdown.

Defensively, Baylor right tackle and Lombardi Award candidate Santana Dotson had an outstanding game with a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and a sack, while keeping Klingler scrambling the whole game.

Dotson provided Baylor with its first big play as he recovered UH superback Ostell Miles' fumble on Houston's first drive.

On Houston's next possession, Dotson sacked Klingler after the Cougars had driven from their own 20 to the Baylor 35. On the next play, UH receiver Freddie Gilbert fumbled a completed pass and Baylor recovered.

Joe then took control on the ensuing drive, completing passes of 34 and 13 yards to split end Lee Miles.

On fourth-and-goal from the two, Baylor Coach Grant Teaff called a reverse and Miles coasted into the endzone untouched.

"Who would call a reverse on the goal line?" asked Klingler.

This should not come as a surprise from Teaff, a guy who once ate a live worm in the locker room to fire his team up for a game against Texas.

The Cougars struck back on their next possession as Klingler completed a 54 yard pass to a diving Marcus Grant to the Baylor five. A Bears' personal foul put the Cougars on the two, and Ostell Miles ran it in for the score.

Not to be outshined, Joe completed a 45 yard pass to Bonner, who was tackled at the Houston one. Fullback John Henry scored on the next play to put the Bears up 14-7.

Two Houston possessions later, it looked as if the Run-and-Shoot magic was back, as Klingler completed four of five passes including a 50-yard pass to John Brown III and a three-yard touchdown pass to Grant to tie the game at 14.

However, signs of Houston's demise came as Baylor blocked a punt to set up a go-ahead field goal with 27 seconds left in the half.

With 18 seconds left before the break, Klingler completed a 31-yard pass to TiAndre Sanders putting the Cougars within ten yards of kicker Roman Anderson's field goal range.

After an incompletion to Grant, Klingler threw into the endzone and was intercepted to close out the half.

Whatever Coach John Jenkins said to Klingler during halftime didn't help matters as Klingler threw his second interception to open the second half.

Mims rushed for 37 yards on Baylor's next possession and Joe ran it in from the nine for Baylor's third touchdown.

The Cougars' next drive stalled and, just as things were starting to look bleak for Houston, Baylor's Miles fumbled a punt. Klingler then threw a 25-yard pass to JB-3 and a three-yard touchdown strike to Gilbert, and Houston appeared to be back in the game at 24-21.

However, Dotson forced a fumble from Klingler on the Cougars' next possession. That led to a scoring drive in which Mims had a 24-yard run and caught a seven-yard scoring pass from Joe.

After Joe connected with Bonner for the 77-yard TD, Klingler drove the Cougars 62 yards to the Baylor ten, only to throw into triple coverage and have the ball picked off in the end zone.

Even time became the Cougars' enemy, as Baylor patiently ate up the clock en route to their fifth straight victory.

As usual, Jenkins did not hang his head in defeat.

"I'm still the most optimistic guy in the world," Jenkins said. "These guys know I'll be after their tails big time next week in practice to get back on track."

PHARMACY AWARENESS PROCLAIMED: FOCUS ON CORRECT

USE OF PRESCRIPION DRUGS

BY STEVE GARRETT

In a special proclamation issued last week, Mayor Kathy Whitmire named Oct. 20-26 "Texas Pharmacy Week" in Houston.

UH Dean of Pharmacology, Mustafa Lokhandwala said the proclamation will allow students and professionals in the field to inform the public on the correct use of prescription medicines.

"Students will be counseling patients in conjunction with registered pharmacists about the medication they take and what the effects are," Lokhandwala said.

The purpose of pharmacy week is to make the public more knowledgeable about the medications and prescription drugs they use on a daily basis. Last year, according to a report issued by Whitmire's office, nearly 1.6 billion prescriptions were dispensed nationwide costing Americans nearly $30 billion dollars.

Half of the medicines dispensed are used incorrectly, and about one out of every three Americans receive no information about the medicines they are taking from health care professionals, the report stated.

Houston's elderly are a primary concern of those involved in Pharmacy Week.

Kroger spokesperson Tim Hoffin said there is a tremedous problem with the eldery taking their medication correctly. Kroger is sponsoring Pharmacy Week, along with Fiesta, Gerlands, Walgreens and Wal-Mart.

"Around 25 percent of nursing home admissions are due to medication related problems," he said. "If we can keep these people out of nursing homes, that's great."

Lokhandwala said during Pharmacy Week a booth will be set up in the University Center where pharmacology students will discuss how drugs are used to alleviate the symptoms of common ailments. Topics will include drugs available to those diagnosed with cardiac diseases and how diabetic drugs affect the body.

Booths will also be set up around the Houston area including participating Kroger and Fiesta stores, Lokhandwala said.

MLK, JR.'S SON SPEAKS ON CULTURAL DIVERSITY

BY DAI HUYNH

Kicking off UH Diversity Week, the son of Martin Luther King, Jr. gave a speech encouraging the university community to strive for more equality and diversity among people of all races.

Martin Luther King, III spoke to more than 500 people in the Houston Room at the University Center Monday of the existing disparities separating the different ethnic groups and keeping them from appreciating each others unique qualities.

In 1954, Brown vs. the Board of Education outlawed segregation within public schools, and ordered integration to occur with all deliberate speed. But we have not concurred with all deliberate speed, and in 1991, we still have not integrated as much as we should have, King said.

"We've come a long way, but we have a long way to go," he said.

This nation cannot continue if people increasingly become only concerned with their own welfare, he said.

"It's tragic because when you're only concerned about your own existence then the world is moving in the direction of self destruction because we're interdependent. Our destinies are tied together," King said. "Interdependence, that's what diversity is."

You cannot call yourself a diverse person unless efforts are made to learn about other cultures, histories and languages, he said.

"You go to school and say I'm intelligent. I've got a Phi Beta Kappa key. I've graduated Magna Cum Laude. And you're really intelligent. You go to Japan tomorrow, and you are sitting in a hotel with your Phi Beta Kappa key. The building catches fire, and you can't understand Japanese, then you'll burn up with your Ph.D." King said.

As a nation, King said we should have very few problems because of the many diverse cultures, orientations and religions confined within this country's walls, but we have not achieved that goal.

"Our nation, unfortunately, is still a very divided nation. Still a nation with a growing underclass," he said.

Increasingly, there are people who will not, in their lifetime, have opportunities to be productive Americans, King said.

"The system has always stated that a person must pull themselves up by their own boot straps. But they never factored into the equation that there are those who have no boots," he said.

King likened the United States to a philosophy which he strongly believes, criticizing the country for giving people assistance during times of difficulty, but overlooking their education which would allow them to help themselves.

"You know the slogan, `You give a person a fish and you'll feed them for a day, but if you teach them how to fish they're fed for a lifetime.' And it seems to me that we've not done enough teaching people how to fish," he said.

King said although we have all these problems, Americans can still be problem solvers.

After his speech 33-year-old King, who resides in Georgia, said he intends to run for the U.S. congressional seat when it's viable.

"At this time, the two individuals occupying the U.S. senatorial seats are very competent. But when one of the senators retires, I will definitely run for office," he said.

VOLLEYBALL NOTEBOOK

BY MARTY HAJOVSKY

Run-and-Shoot volleyball made its debut in Hofheinz Pavilion Sunday as the UH volleyball team rolled to an impressive 3-1 match win over the Florida State Seminoles, extending their home winning streak to seven.

All year the Netters have gained momentum against smaller teams such as Southwest Texas and Lamar, only to fall flat when it came to big challenges such as LSU or Stanford.

Into this up and down season came the regionally-ranked Seminoles. And when people look back next January, they just might point to this match as the time when the Cougars learned how to take their game to the next level.

In the first two games, the `Noles jumped out to quick 5-0 and 4-0 leads. Both were snuffed out as the Cougars put together two impressive 15-3 runs to take each game. By that time, FSU's spirit had been crushed and despite a thrilling loss in game three, the Cougars came right back and tomahawked the Seminoles in game four 15-4. Overall, the games went 15-8, 15-7, 13-15 and 15-4.

Senior Karen Bell once again dominated with a season-high 19 kills and six blocks while hitting a stinging .385 with her overhead windmill spikes.

"Karen's stroking the ball so well. She's started to practice with the right attitude. Once she carries that over to a game, no one can stop her," Head Coach Bill Walton said.

With her numbers, Bell should ring up the Cougars' second straight Southwest Conference Player of the Week, following sophomore Ashley Mulkey.

The win against the `Noles, though, was a team effort. When Bell got cold, Julie James summoned up her southpaw attack with 15 kills and 10 digs. Janelle Harmonson contributed a 6 for 8 performance with a finesse game that kept FSU off-balance all afternoon.

All the while, freshman Heidi Sticksel had the game of her young career. After taking a bone-jarring shot to her head that would have put most freshmen out of a match, the Stick shook it off like a veteran and set a career high 50 assists while diving for ten defensive digs.

"It's amazing what (Sticksel's) done. She's only been a setter for 50 days. Plus she is so good defensively. She gets to balls that no other setter we've had could've gotten to," Walton said.

The win against Florida State couldn't have come at a better time because the Cougars are going to need all the momentum they can get going into a Wednesday night match in Lubbock against No. 17 Texas Tech. The Red Raiders are 13-3 on the year and have won 13 of their last 14.

UH is 1-3 against Tech in their last four meetings and haven't won a single game in Lubbock since 1988. The Cougars lead the all-time series 20-11.

COOG'S TAILSPIN REACHES THREE WITH LATEST FUMBLING EFFORT

BY MIGUEL ZEPEDA

To contend or to pretend? That is the question.

After suffering a 38-21 drubbing at the hands of the Baylor Bears, the only question left for Houston is whether it can compete with the rest of the Southwest Conference.

Houston hosted Baylor at the Astrodome Saturday, in what promised to be a matchup betweeen a space-age offense and the unbeaten, 11th-ranked (now No. 8) Bears.

Houston (1-3, 0-1) had seven turnovers in the game and could muster only 10 yards rushing. Its offensive line failed to consistently protect quarterback David Klingler from Baylor's four-man front.

Led by All-American Santana Dotson, the Bears defense harrassed Klingler into three interceptions and two fumbles, and he spent much of his time sprinting away from the pass rush.

"Baylor's defense is as good as Baylor's offense. I take responsibility for the five turnovers. My job is to do as much as I can to win," Klingler said.

On Saturday his 460 yards and two touchdown passes were not good enough, as Houston's defense allowed 499 yards of Baylor options and gimmick plays.

UH Head Coach John Jenkins said despite the loss he was

proud of the way his team played.

"I made reference to that (Baylor's offense), how diverse they are. We played the option well," Jenkins said.

When Baylor, 5-0, wasn't pounding the ball down the field with tailback David Mims (98 yards on 16 carries), they were burning the Cougars' defensive backs with the long ball.

On two separate, but crucial plays, Baylor ran a reverse and flee-flicker, leaving the Houston defense behind

After losing to Miami, Illinois and now Baylor, the Cougars seem to have begun losing confidence.

Jenkins remained his ususal optimistic self, however, and said his team would bounce back.

"This hurts, but I'm more determined than ever," he said."You're looking at the most optimistic guy in the world. The guys know I'll be after their tails next week."

If he doesn't, chances are their next opponent, Arkansas, will. Then they won't even be pretending to contend.

HONORARY DEGREE CONFERRED ON COSTA RICAN PRESIDENT

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

The 1991 Autumn Convocation kicked off Diversity Week by announcing two new joint initiatives between the Costa Rican government and UH.

President Marguerite Ross Barnett announced the two new ventures between UH and Costa Rica in her welcoming speech to the featured speaker, Costa Rican President Rafael Angel Calderon Fournier.

In her first announcement she said five to 10 new four-year, full scholarships are planned for the future as part of the College of Business Administration's Houston International Scholars Program for undergraduates.

Dean of the College of Business Administration John Ivancevich said the scholarships are to be joint ventures between one U.S. company and one Costa Rican company. He added the first scholarship, already having funds pledged by both the Costa Rican Sardimar Company and the U.S. Zapata Oil company, will go to a Costa Rican student.

During another part of the convocation, an agreement of cooperation between the National System of Science and Technology of Costa Rica and UH was signed.

The agreement states the cooperation, "should focus on areas of mutual interest in fields to be decided jointly between UH and NASST."

The five-year agreement also states both faculty and students are to be exchanged during those joint ventures.

President Caldron Fournier also received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree during the proceedings.

Barnett said the Costa Rican leader was chosen as the speaker and honored with the degree because of his country's work in the areas of social legislation and ecological conservation.

Costa Rica, the oldest Latin American democracy, has been internationally recognized for its achievements in the areas for which it was honored today.

In his speech, President Calderon Fournier said, "the abolishment the army (in 1948) has enabled us to dedicate most of our resources to health and education."

Costa Rica has a social security system providing medical services and protection for the sick, elderly and handicapped as well as several retirement programs. It has also developed a legal framework allowing labor problems to be solved through dialogue and agreements.

The Costa Rican President also said one of his administrations' highest priorities has been environmental protection.

On Oct. 26, the Franciscan Center of Environmental Studies and the General Custody of the Sacred Convent of Saint Francis of Assisi will honor Costa Rica with its international "Canticle of All Creatures" award.

Barnett said, "The University of Houston should be a leader in recognizing these advances." Barnett also said Costa Rica represents a fascinating experiment in democracy and is a particularly appropriate example of what a country can do when they give precedence to such important areas.

In accepting the degree, the Costa Rican President said, "I am honored, but I am aware that it is not for me, but in recognition of Costa Rica's efforts."