UH DRAMA PROFESSOR STABS SELF IN ABDOMEN

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

Drama professor Claude Caux is listed in poor condition following surgery at Ben Taub hospital after attempting for a second time to take his own life, hospital officals said.

Houston Police Homicide Sgt. H. L. Mayer said while an ice pick was found nearby, the single shallow wound to Caux's abdomen was probably caused by the slightly blood-stained, thin, round, stabbing weapon found nearby -- possibly a stileto or poignard.

The first attempt at suicide occurred directly after the murder of local prominent actress Mary Chovanetz where Caux allegedly stabbed the woman 15 times in the chest, arms and neck before turning the knife on himself.

After wounding himself three times in the abdomen, Caux fell to the ground near Chovanetz in front of shocked onlookers in Memorial Park on the afternoon of July 22.

After recovering from the initial incident, being charged with murder and posting $50,000 bond, Caux had been living at his wife's apartment when she came home to find him on the patio.

Mayer also said a goodbye letter in French to his family and some family pictures were also found at the scene.

While the final word would be left up to the district attorney's office, Mayer said he didn't think the second attempted suicide, which is a punishable offense, would change Caux's bond release status. Neither Assistant District Attorney Belinda Hill, who is prosecuting the case, nor Caux's defense attorney Dick Deguerin were available for comment.

Here at UH, Caux has been and will continue to be officially on sick leave during his recovery from his injuries, Drama Department Chair Sidney Berger said. One of Caux's former students has been teaching his stage movement classes while Caux's son, Patrice, has been teaching his fencing classes.

"Claude has been officially on sick leave, which means that he will remain to be on sick leave until he is physically able to return to work. At that time, a decision will be made as to his employment status," Berger said.

*******************************************************

STUDENTS BUILD HOUSE TO PAY COLLEGE TUITION

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

They were determined to get off the "Daddy Plan" and pay their way through school, so Brian, Brent and Liane Hores pulled out hammer and nails and built a house during the summer -- then sold it.

"It isn't easy putting three kids through college at the same time," said their father, contractor Jim Hores.

The two-bedroom, two-story traditional home sold for between $70,000 and $80,000.

Brian, 22, the oldest member of the crew, is starting his third year at the Boston Architectural Center this fall; Liane, 20, is in her third year of studying environmental science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; and Brent, 18, is beginning his first year at the University of Tennessee.

Brian Hores, the designer of the house, said the job was "a challenge every day." He said the siblings worked well together and became a lot closer. When they started the project, however, he had moments of skepticism. "There was this big hole in the ground and I thought, `How will we finish this by the end of the summer?'"

"I just kind of stood on the sidelines and called the plays," said the elder Hores.

The project began June 6, the day Brent graduated from high school, and ended in the middle of August.

SELF-EXAMINATION COULD BE KEY TO EARLY DETECTION,

LONG LIFE

BY DAWN MUNROE

Men ... examine thy testes.

Cancer of the testes is not extremely common, but it is the most common form of cancer among men ages 15 to 35. According to the American Cancer Society, an estimated 6,100 new cases will be diagnosed this year.

"It should be of concern to men on campus because they are at the age group where they are most at risk," said Dr. Billie Smith, director of the UH Health Center.

She said the health center offers counseling on testicular cancer and can also refer patients to other doctors if necessary.

Smith said only one student has been diagnosed at UH with this type of cancer in the 10 years she's been at the health center.

According to the American Cancer Society, the symptoms of testicular cancer include a slight enlargement and change in the consistency of the testes or a dull ache in the lower abdomen and groin, accompanied by the sensation of dragging and heaviness.

Chris Perkins, 36, is an engineer at Southwestern Bell who had testicular cancer 11 years ago. He said he never heard of such a cancer before he was stricken.

For nearly two months, he thought he was just experiencing lower back and abdominal pains, at least that's what his doctor told him. Doctors couldn't find anything wrong with him and prescribed pain medicine. It worked for a while.

Six weeks later, Perkins suffered another severe abdominal attack after playing basketball at the YMCA. He described the pain as "excrutiating."

"My wife Denise rushed me to the emergency room at Hermann Hospital," he said. "Tests showed that my appendix ruptured and that I needed an appendectomy. Surgery had to take place immediately and the operation was to take an hour, tops."

After five hours of surgery, doctors told his wife that emergency exploratory surgery had to be done.

"A tumor, about the size of a fist, four inches by three inches, was removed," Perkins said. "This growth, which started in my testicle, moved to my abdomen and attached itself to the lower part of my backbone."

Four days after surgery, he found out the mass was a malignant tumor.

For the next nine months after surgery, Perkins underwent chemotherapy nearly 24 hours a day to kill the remaining cancerous cells.

Perkins, 5-10, dropped from 175 pounds to 145 pounds and lost all his hair.

"It took six to 10 months before I looked like my normal self and was back to work," said Perkins, who now has two children, Michelle, 6, and Kenny, 3.

Perkins said he is lucky because his cancer was detected early.

"Some men are scared, but they need to be aware of the testicular self examinations, just as women examine their breasts," he said.

The American Cancer Society says every month men should examine their genitals while taking a warm bath or shower. While the testes are descended, examine gently with fingers of both hands by rolling the testicle between thumb and finger to check for any hard lumps. If a lump or nodule is found, it may not be malignant, but it should be brought promptly to the attention of a doctor.

Men should also look for a change in consistency in one testicle or slight swelling of one breast.

The Scientific American reports that about 375 men die of testicular cancer each year. Whites are affected more often than blacks or Hispanics.

Now Perkins goes annually to the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center for checkups. He says he now appreciates life more than before his illness.

"Everyone knows that life could end in an instant, but until you are faced with a life-or-death crisis, then it changes your outlook on a lot of things." Perkins said.

Darren Hart, 23-year-old student majoring in math, said, "I can't say that I have heard about it really, but I am aware of prostate cancer. I am aware that cancer can occur anywhere and I think what we eat, like lots of sugars, for example, and sodas are not good for our bodies and we should try to eliminate bad habits like smoking."

`KINDER AND GENTLER'STUDENT EMERGES

COUGAR NEWS STAFF

It seems America's campuses are turning out a kinder and gentler breed of college student. The self-absorbed party animal is out -- the enlightened community activist is in.

In recent years, student volunteerism has become a national phenomenon. Students say the time is right, and they are ready to confront community problems.

"I've seen the difference I can make in a little kid's life," said Gina Schaefer, a junior at Wittenberg University. "That's a lot more important than a whole lot of cash." Schaefer, 20, is a student coordinator in the Ohio school's Community Workshop.

No one is certain whether the service movement is a trend or a sign of something more permanent. Deborah Dillon, director of Wittenberg's Community Workshop, hopes the volunteer movement continues to gain momentum.

"I see the service movement as a revitalization movement," she said. "I see it as a cultural and social attempt to revitalize some sort of national spirit."

This fall, the Campus Outreach Opportunity League (COOL), will launch "Into the Streets," a Nov. 1 kickoff for a three-year student volunteerism initiative involving thousands of students nationwide. The students meet with local agencies to discuss homelessness, literacy, AIDS and other social issues.

COOL officials say student volunteers will commit at least one year's service to a social agency. They will receive a manual and will spend time identifying and assessing local community needs.

Laina Warsavage, project coordinator for Campus Compact, a coalition of colleges and universities helping member colleges develop volunteer programs, says President Bush's "thousand points of light" program has pushed volunteerism to new heights. Begun in 1985 by 12 institutions and housed at Brown University, Campus Compact has 267 member schools.

"We're getting more support to get more people involved," she said. "From what we hear on our campuses, college presidents are making a commitment. There are lots of things happening all over the country."

At the University of Utah, for example, the number of volunteers has tripled since 1987, to more than 1,500 students involved in public service. At Indiana's DePauw University, student community service in rural Putnam County jumped 450 percent between 1987 and 1988.

At the University of San Diego, an estimated two-thirds of their 3,500 students participate in some form of community service.

Deborah Feuer, 21, a project director for the University of Denver's new Community Action Program, agreed student volunteerism is a trend. "Some students are getting involved because it's the thing to do," she said. "But once they do it, they really get into it. They see that what you do really does make a difference."

The College of Wooster in Ohio was honored recently by the White House because of its student volunteerism. Almost half of the school's 1,800 students volunteered time for community projects this year.

While problems in inner cities seem the most acute, the challenges facing rural and small-town America are also significant. College students in rural areas are tackling problems in creative ways.

At Berea College in Berea, Ky., members of Students for Appalachia transformed an abandoned warehouse into a facility called The Learning Loft, where tutors teach adults to read, run a summer day camp and have group mentoring programs for teenage girls.

Service opportunities are limited only by imaginations. Students do everything from conducting dance therapy for the elderly to working with Native Americans. According to Warsavage, the top three volunteer activities among college students last year were tutoring, environmental activism and mentoring.

Some colleges are integrating volunteerism into the curriculum.

At Brevard Community College in Florida, 75 percent of students who serve in the community get academic credit for their efforts. Some of Brevard's teachers offer community service as an option to traditional papers.

Some colleges have gone as far as to require community service for graduation. Wittenberg University requires its 2,300 undergraduates to perform 30 hours of community service during their sophomore year.

SIGMA NU DEFIES FRATERNITIES' STEREOTYPES WITH COMPROMISE

BY ALFRED CERVANTES

While one UH fraternity was recently forced to move out of their residentially located house, another recently received a commendation from their neighbors.

The UH chapter of Sigma Nu received a letter of appreciation by a local civic club for toning down their outdoor parties. Sigma Alpha Epsilon moved out of their fraternity house on S. MacGregor Way in September, after years of dispute with their neighbors.

Sigma Nu, located at 5018 Calhoun Rd., was recognized by the University Oaks Civic Club for its efforts in keeping their parties under control. But things haven't always been so pleasant between the fraternity members and their neighbors.

"In the old days, the music used to be onerously loud and the parties used to go on past 2 a.m.," J. K. Hillstrom of the University Oaks Civic Club said.

But during recent years, Sigma Nu members made an effort to change their image. This effort culminated in several meetings and discussions with Civic Club members.

"We've been working with them (University Oaks) for two years, and we want to meet their concerns," said UH Sigma Nu President Michael Baker.

The meetings were arranged by the UH Office of Student Activities at the request of the Civic Club. Sigma Nu complied to an agreement that promised outdoor parties would end by midnight, and that such parties would not occur often.

In the agreement, fraternity members also promised they would notify their neighbors in advance when parties were scheduled. The outcome of the meetings has been an improved relationship between the neighbors and Sigma Nu members.

"It's been a real positive relationship with the Civic Club," Baker said. "One thing we teach our members is to be responsible."

Sigma Nu owns the house and the property on which it sits, and is not subject to the University Oaks deed restrictions. This is another reason the fraternity was recognized for their consideration to their neighbors.

"We are generally sympathetic to students, but we are glad they moderated their conduct and we came to an agreeable action to the problem," Hillstrom said.

With 85 members, Sigma Nu throws one big party every semester, which is catered and has a band, Baker said. The fraternity distributes flyers to the whole neighborhood when they are going to have any function, Baker said.

UH Student Activities Advisor Consuelo Trevino commended the fraternity members for their efforts.

"I hope things will continue to go well. This shows that fraternities can work things out with their neighbors if they meet on middle ground," Trevino said.

A NEW BAND WITH AN OLD SOUND

BY CHRIS ENGLISH

The name is circle c, like the copyright symbol, except that it's a band.

But not your average band. From Vancouver, British Columbia, they sound like the Rolling Stones-meets-the Bad Seeds-meets-the Waterboys.

Their self-titled album, circle c, appeared Sept. 3, courtesy of David Geffen, which shows the recording mogul still has an unfailing ear for talent, and the band will probably never see a red cent. John Porter produced the album, the same guy responsible for The Smiths and Billy Bragg.

Tom Anselmi provides the Nick Cave sentimentalities strained through a voice combed with razor blades and laced with lime that could be only be more aptly described as sounding a hell of a lot like Mick Jagger. This really comes out in the haunting "Vacation Song" and the bluesy "The Climb."

Woven around Anselmi's edge is Christian Thorvaldson's guitars. I say guitars because he seems to use some of everything. He seems to adopt personas from a raunched-out Keith Richards on an electric six such as on "epiphony song," to Leo Kottke and Earl Scruggs on an acoustic 12-string such as on "Dust" and "?."

Thorvaldson even does a Don Ho on a steel lap, but only on "Vacation Song," thank Merciful Heaven. Variety is the spice of life they say, but let's not carry tired phrases like that too far.

Pete Bourne does an admirable job on the drums, except that he knocked out the bass in my puny car speakers. Couldn't help myself. Take that as warning. For those of you with twitchy volume fingers and the equipment to handle it however, enjoy.

COUNSELING, TESTING TUTORS HONORED WITH CERTIFICATION

BY KATHY ALLEN

The sudden gleam of understanding in a student's eyes is usually reward enough for the tutors on the third floor of the Social Work Building.

But the 35 UH Learning Support Services tutors got a more tangible reward last Thursday during a ceremony celebrating their certification.

The LSS tutoring program at UH has recently been certified by the College Reading & Learning Association, an international certification agency. The program is the only one in Texas to achieve recognition at all levels -- regular, advanced and master.

"What the university is about is empowering people," interim Vice President for Student Affairs Elwyn Lee said. "I want my division to have a positive effect on retention, and Counseling and Testing and the tutoring program under them certainly help satisfy that primary goal.

"The second goal is one of loyalty. I would like people to be loyal to the University of Houston. This program, I'm sure, provides many moments, many instances of caring, where we will ultimately develop that kind of loyalty," Lee said.

Also honored during the ceremony were Patrick Daniel and Rosemary Hughes, both assistant directors in Counseling and Testing Service. Daniel, tutoring program director, and Hughes, training coordinator, were instrumental in enhancing the tutoring program to meet certification requirements.

Certification signifies that tutors have received the necessary training and demonstrated the skills necessary for effective tutoring. Tutors receive from 12 to 30 hours of training, including seminars in cross-cultural tutoring, learning styles, communication skills, professionalism and ethics.

Shakir Ahmed, a junior chemical engineering major, has tutored for three years and is one of the most sought-after tutors. He spends 30 hours a week tutoring in chemistry, math, engineering, physics and computer science.

Shaik Ahmed, a sophomore biochemistry major and Shakir's brother, also places a high value on community service.

"If I have have knowledge, I'll share it," Shaik said.

Jackie Carpenter is a post-baccalaureate student who tutors students in English.

"I haven't always been the best student in the past. I felt like I was pigeon-holed as a poor student as a child. I was lucky enough to run into good teachers." Carpenter said. "Family situations, many things determine how well you do in a classroom. I think every student can be reached."

Carpenter also credits her mother for inspiring her to tutor.

"My mother was wonderful in English. I would read my essay to her, and she would tell me why it flowed or did not flow," Carpenter said. "Writing is like music to her."

Carpenter tries to help students with their English papers in the same manner.

The tutors were unanimous in their conviction that they benefit as much as the students they serve.

"It's perfect -- the relationship between tutor and student," Habtom Tewolde, an accounting graduate student, said. "We end up helping each other."

Tewolde, who has passed two of the four parts of the Certified Public Accountants exam, said he finds tutoring helps him keep his accounting skills sharp in preparation for the remaining two parts of the exam.

LSS tutors served 9,000 students last year. Roughly 150 students are tutored each day. Hilary Harmon, a program assistant, said, "I feel like my job is important, and I affect a lot of people every day."

LT. GOV. BULLOCK ALL FOR HIGHER ED

The future of Texas depends on the future of higher education, Texas Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock said -- but the state's taxpayers may be less than enthusiastic about shouldering the burden.

"An assault on higher education is going on, not just in Texas but all over. A slide to cut down expenditures regardless, people are saying I have paid enough in taxes," Bullock said.

Bullock, in his good-ol'-boy, no-nonsense demeanor, spoke frankly to about 200 people Monday night at the UH Houston Industries Alumni Organization. He tried to explain the funding cuts inflicted upon higher education during the last legislative session.

Houston Industries awarded the distinguished Alumni Award to Ray Snokhous, the Senior Vice President of Governmental Relations for Houston Industries Inc.

Bullock praised Snokhous, a lifelong friend he calls Popeye, for his far-reaching vision for UH and for placing service to others above his own needs.

Legislators don't share this sense of selflessness, Bullock said.

Bullock said he expects the Legislature to impose more cuts on higher education in the future.

"When the state stops providing (funds), it will be up to private industry (to fund higher education), but even this can only last so long," Bullock said.

The test scores are down around the state, little headway has been made in curbing the drop-out rate, Bullock said, and 60 percent of public schools are classified as low income.

"But Houston Industries doesn't want to employ a bunch of dummies and Johnny can't read or write," he said.

Yet there were some legislators who would have totally devastated our institutions, had they had the votes, he said.

It is risky to the future of Texas that the 1992-93 university budgets were actually cut below current levels, he said.

What happened at the Legislature this year is only a preview of what will happen at the next session, Bullock said after the meeting.

Bullock criticized Gov. Ann Richards for her lack of support for higher education during the last session.

"Texans don't want to pay more taxes. Because of that, she has made the shoe fit the government -- but it will cost us some of the most able minds in this state and things will get worse," Bullock said.

But Bullock said he will not give up the fight to increase funding for higher education.

Dean of Social Sciences Harrell Rodgers praised Bullock and credited him and a handful of legislators for halting even more cuts to higher education.

Rep. Ken Yarbrough, D-Houston, said he doesn't think funding for higher education will improve until Texas passes an income tax.

Yarbrough said the last session ended with a "shotgun" approach and many things were solved in a very limited amount of time.

But Yarbrough said the discovery of wasted state funds by the University of Texas soured many legislators.

"UT and some other folks really did UH and others a disservice," Yarbrough said.

SA OVERLOOKED IN COUNSIL'S REQUEST FOR SIX-YEAR INPUT

BY ANTON P. MONTANO

Feeling the need to represent student interests, the UH Student Association voted unanimously Monday to create a White Paper outlining long-term priorities for the All-University Planning Council's preparation of UH's current Six Year Plan.

Senators said the SA was not originally requested to submit a White Paper to the All-University Planning Council.

SA Bill 28012, creating an ad-hoc committee to develop SA's White Paper, would help remedy the oversight, senators said.

"Individual White Papers were asked from student members of the Planning Council, but not from the SA," Lee Grooms, speaker of the SA, said.

"That seems to be a pretty major oversight in my opinion," Grooms said. "The first and always foremost concern of the university should be for the students."

On Aug. 26, Interim Senior Vice President James Pickering requested White Papers with suggestions for the Six Year Plan from the Faculty Senate, Academic Council, Graduate and Professional Studies Council, Research Council, Undergraduate Council and Staff Council.

"I think the UH faculty and administration is pretty receptive to the needs of students," Kevin Jefferies, author of SAB 28012 and a member of the Undergraduate Council, said. "We just need to voice them."

Jeffries said the SA would try to obtain permission to submit the White Paper to the All-University Planning Council past the current Oct. 11 deadline.

"I'm hopeful of the extension," Jeffries said. "If they do not wish to extend, however, we will still draft the document, go ahead and publicize it and present it to the Board of Regents when they meet."

Jeffries said he hoped the White Paper would be ready before the next SA meeting, Oct 21.

In other senate business, the SA unanimously passed a bill requesting the addition of three students to UH's Orientation Advisory Committee.

Co-authored by two freshmen who had been through Summer Orientation, University Bill 28008 would require the Orientation Advisory Committee to include two students who had completed a summer Freshman Orientation session and one student who had attended a summer Transfer Orientation session prior to the academic year.

"The orientation program especially over the last two years has really become much much better," Grooms, said. "But, the only unit that isn't represented is the student who has very recently gone through the process."

The SA also officially eliminated the administrative positions of Assistant to the Directors and Executive Assistant.

The cancelled positions free more than $6,000 in the SA budget.

COLEMAN MISSES SEAT 147 DEBATE

BY DAVE DAVIS

In the shootout for District 147, one of the candidates may have wounded himself in the foot.

Political candidate Garnet Coleman failed to attend the Monday political debate hosted by the Club Owners' Association of Houston. Opposing candidate Jew Don Boney addressed

the audience alone at the Mr. Blues Club on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

Local club owners and businessmen were disappointed, because they hoped to voice their concerns to the candidates, and to receive input on state legislation directly affecting local businesses.

Debate organizers and Coleman campaign workers gave conflicting accounts as to why only one candidate attended.

Bruce Jones, spokesperson for the debate planning committee, said he received definite confirmation from Coleman that he would attend.

Jones said Coleman, whose district would include UH if elected, received an invitation to the debate

at least a week before the scheduled date. Jones added that the Coleman campaign gave him telephone confirmation they

would attend the event.

Debbie Haley, appointment manager for the Coleman Campaign, said the candidate never agreed to attend Monday's debate. Haley said she informed the planning committee Coleman would decide whether he would attend the debate no later than Friday, Oct. 4.

Haley said the committee erred in sending out a press release confirming Boney and Coleman's commitment to the event on Thursday, Oct. 3.

Coleman opposed the idea of holding a debate in a nightclub setting, but would readily debate Boney in an atmosphere that better reflects his campaign image, Haley said.

"Coleman has been speaking in churches, and he has a large number of younger and older constituents supporting his campaign, therefore, we don't feel a club is an appropriate setting for our candidate to debate his political views," Haley said.

Ray Paige, coordinator for the Boney campaign, said Boney welcomed the chance to respond to issues concerning a "different type of constituent" than is traditionally sought in elections.

Paige said Boney is the type of candidate "who feels just as comfortable speaking with people on Tuam Street as he does speaking with people on MacGregor Drive."

"This is something that comes with experience," Paige said. "Right now, Coleman just isn't there yet."

Coleman, 29, one of the youngest candidates in the original field of 11 legislative hopefuls, managed to secure nearly 30 percent of the total votes in the Sept. 24 election to fill the seat left vacant by the death of Rep. Larry Evans.

Boney, 39, one of the oldest candidates in the race, led the pack when the polls closed with approximately 33 percent of the votes.

Boney remained at the debate site throughout the alloted time period and was able to respond to several questions from local business owners, many of whom voiced their interest in creating legislation extending the "close down" times at night clubs.

Boney responded by saying he would fight for legislation that reflected the concerns of District 147.

The CBA also voiced its dissatisfaction with the current tax rates on liquor, and with existing legislation over the liability of club and bar owners for people who leave their establishments drunk and then inflict harm on others.

TEAM EARTH: WORKING WITH GARBAGE AND YOU

BY SALLY POUNCY

Team Earth is going to trash Fitzgerald's.

Thursday night, the environmentally-conscious student group, Team Earth, is having a benefit to raise awareness and money for a campus-wide recycling program at UH.

"We are the only school in the Southwest Conference that doesn't have a (campus-wide) recycling program," said Head of the TE Steering Committee, Michelle Palmer.

One of TE's ultimate goals is to change UH's current environmental negligence by proposing a new policy.

A proposal and petition are already in the works and will be presented to UH President Barnett sometime in the future. The proposal will outline the efforts of TE, mention the UH office paper recycling program and suggest placing recycling bins in buildings around campus.

UH does have an inter-departmental, office paper recycling program and TE would to that same concept applied to the entire unversity.

TE president Chris Kidwell said he "would like to eventually see 68 bins on campus."

Trash Aid is the benefit Team Earth is hoping will help get the program moving. TE wants to raise at least $300 at the benefit. The money would go to purchasing bins fitting specifications set by the Physical Plant for durable containers.

If the benefit is a success then TE will try to place collection bins in various buildings around campus. The bins would be for collection of glass, aluminum and paper.

The benefit is scheduled to start at 9 p.m. at Fitzgerald's. The bands lined up for Thursday night are Carolyn Wonderland, Elevator Up, From Now On and Tab Jones (a band featuring former members of Panjandrum.)

Flyers containing information on both recycling and the environment will be available at the benefit.

"We won't push the flyers on people," Kidwell said. "That would be a waste of paper."

The benefit is not the only activity TE has planned for this week. A trash drive will be held Wednesday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. both days.

Students are encouraged to bring their recyclables to the median in front of Agnes Arnold Hall.

Kidwell said the goals of the drive were not only to recycle trash but also to give people a list of locations for recycling and to "make such a mess that people would want to see bins, instead of us in the median with a bunch of trash."

Team Earth was started in Fall 1989, and has approximately 45 members. "For as trendy as environmental issues are right now, I am surprised more people are not involved with Team Earth," Palmer said.

The members of TE "cut across the spectrum of majors and socio-economic backgrounds," Palmer said. In other words, there is no stereotypical environmentally conscious person.

"Our office is open for anyone to come in and look at our files and sign petitions," Kidwell said.

Available petitions deal with national and international environmental issues. One of them also addresses pressing the government into funding alternative energy research. A petition against Rainforest destruction is also available for signatures in the office.