PROF WRITES OF MOZART

BY REBECCA MCPHAIL

This semester has been unquestionably kind to UH assistant professor of musicology John Rice.

Not only has his wife given birth to their first child, but his first book has recently been published by Cambridge University Press.

La Clemenza di Tito is an in-depth study of the opera written by Mozart. The book was written as part of a series for students as well as opera enthusiasts.

Rice had his reasons for choosing this particular work. "I think it's under-valued," he said. "Of all of Mozart's important operas, it has been studied much less than the others."

Rice has already started work on his second book, which examines the life of Antonio Salieri -- one of Mozart's contemporaries. In preparation for the book, he asked his graduate students to compare the works of Salieri to those of Mozart. In doing so, Rice hoped to encourage his students to "re-think their evaluations" of the two composers.

Although he enjoys studying all types of music, the music of the 18th century holds a particular appeal for him.

"The ideas behind the music and the operas of that period are especially interesting and beautiful," Rice said.

Even though he enjoys writing, he has no plans to abandon teaching in pursuit of a literary life.

"It's cliche," he said, "but students are constantly challenging you and encouraging you to re-think your assumptions."

Although he holds a doctorate degree in the subject, Rice did not realize he wanted to study music until his senior year at Harvard University. "I was listening to music one day and I decided that's what I really wanted to spend my life doing," he said.

*******************************************************

STATE REP TO RUN FOR NEWLY CREATED CONGRESSIONAL SEAT

BY MAURY HAMMOND

After a summer of wrangling over the drawing of new lines to accommodate Texas' new U.S. congressional districts, state Rep. Roman Martinez, D-Houston, announced his candidacy Thursday for one of the districts he helped create.

Harris County District 29 is one of three House seats Texas gained thanks to the 1990 census. This shift increases the number of Texas members from 27 to an even 30 in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Martinez, with friends, family and local media, made his announcement at the UH Hilton.

"Ours is a moment in time when we have rediscovered the idea of representative government," Martinez said. "I want to be your congressman in a new district created as much by demographic change as by anyone's political skill."

The district, which reaches from Pasadena to north Houston, is an attempt to increase representation of Hispanics, who comprise 61 percent of the district.

Martinez is a member of the state house redistricting committee charged this summer with redrawing the lines to make way for the three new districts, the other two being in Dallas and South San Antonio.

Martinez said no self-interest influenced his decisions, as he was appointed to serve on the committee in the first place and the state guidelines and Voting Rights Act guidelines have been properly followed.

However, Texas is one of 16 states required by the U.S. Justice Dept. to submit all redistricting plans for review. Martinez said he did not think the department would find any irregularities in the plan.

Billing himself as a candidate dedicated to progress and change, the Yale graduate took the initiative as the first lawmaker to announce his intention to run in a race including, what Martinez calls, a healthy competition.

Asked why he has announced so early -- the election won't be held until Mar. 10 -- Martinez replied, "Well, it's not that far off. From now until the end of the year we want to emphasize voter education, voter registration and fundraising. After the city elections and holidays, there won't be much time so we want to get an early start."

Martinez said if elected, he plans to work toward improving the crime and drug problem in Houston and the nation, call for a comprehensive national health care policy and increase federal funding for education at all levels.

"A nation that can build a stealth fighter," Martinez said, "can build a better school system in every inner city of this country. A nation that finds the dollars to bail out the savings and loans can find the dollars to educate our children."

Martinez currently represents District 148 in the Texas Legislature.

UHPD ARRESTS FOUR FOR DECAL FORGERY

FAKE PARKING PERMITS SHOW UP ON PHYSICAL PLANY EMPLOYEE CARS

Four UH Physical Plant employees have been arrested and charged with forgery after an alert parking enforcement assistant spotted three vehicles with fake decals, a police official said.

Mac Baya McCarthy, 42; Gordon Maynard, 41; Warren Allison Heaton, 43; and Leandro Camacho, 56, were arrested Wednesday and charged with forgery, a Class A misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $2,000 and/or one year in jail. They were taken to the Harris County Jail, UHPD Asst. Police Chief Frank Cempa said. Bail was posted at $500 each.

Cempa said the initial investigation began Sept. 26 when three cars in Lot 17-C exhibited decals appearing to be falsified.

Police located and towed three vehicles belonging to McCarthy, Maynard and Heaton on Friday, Sept. 27, Cempa said. Police questioned the three when they came in to reclaim their vehicles, Cempa said.

During the questioning, two of the three, who had their cars towed, made statements to implicate the other two, Cempa said.

The original decal belonged to Camacho, Cempa said.

McCarthy said he is innocent and just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"Camacho came and asked me if I wanted to buy a sticker. I said, `Yes, I would love to. I owe two tickets and they (Parking and Transportation) won't let me buy one,'" McCarthy said.

He had heard individuals could buy one parking permit and also purchase another one for a second vehicle.

"I don't know why I'm charged with forgery. I had no idea it was forged. It looked so real it's unbelievable," McCarthy said. "I gave him $10 and was supposed to pay the balance of $30."

He said since he had outstanding parking tickets, he had been buying a temporary permit at the beginning of each month for $5 at the information booth at Entrance 1.

McCarthy said he had also heard if someone quits, they could sell their parking decal.

"This guy was offering a sticker, which I thought he had bought. Who would be that brave unless they bought it? I saw them looking at my car. If I had any idea (of the forgery), I would not have driven my car back on campus the next day, I would have taken the sticker off. I'm innocent because of the fact I didn't know," McCarthy said.

But Cempa pointed out that ignorance of the law is not a defense.

Camacho admitted the duplicated decal was his, but said he never loaned anyone his decal and has no idea how the copies were made.

"I wasn't guilty, and I didn't make any copies. I never tried to sell anybody a decal," Camacho said.

Manager of Parking and Transportation Gerald Hagan said his department once sold additional parking permits for a second car. This practice was stopped on Sept. 1, 1988, when the decals were changed so they no longer have to be permanently affixed to a car, allowing an individual to transfer his permit to a second car.

But Hagan stressed that the parking rules and regulations state that when a person is issued a decal, it is non-transferable.

Under the current policy, upon termination of employment, a person can return the decal and receive a pro-rated refund, Hagan said.

"The decal number can be traced back to the individual. If anything happens, that number will be traced to the owner of the decal, who will be held responsible. But," Hagan said, "the decals are intentionally very hard to reproduce so forgeries can be easily detected."

If a decal is lost or stolen, the owner should contact Parking and Transportation so they will not be held accountable, he said.

Visitors, staff and students can buy a temporary decal at the information booth, but these are only valid for one month, he said.

Decals are not issued to people with outstanding tickets, Hagan said. In order to purchase parking decals, you must be in good standing with the university.

Cempa said UHPD is still investigating the case because there is a possibility others have purchased forged decals.

GRIDIRON DEATHS STUN TEAMS ACROSS COUNTRY

COUGARS ENJOY YEARS WITHOUT SERIOUS INJURY

BY DAVE DAVIS

Recent deaths of college football players have raised questions about the safety of the sport, but the UH's head trainer said the Cougars have built-in precautions to prevent sports-related deaths.

The aura surrounding the institution of college football has been dimmed by the unexpected deaths of several college athletes within the last three weeks.

Rodney Stowers, a Mississippi State defensive lineman, died suddenly Thursday, Oct. 3, from complications developing from a football injury. J.D. Coffman, a defensive lineman for Marshall University in West Virginia, died the same day of a viral infection.

But probably the most publicized of the three fatalities is that of the Texas A&M place kicker. James Glenn collapsed Wednesday, Sept. 25, minutes before practice was to begin.

Glenn reportedly had a history of heart problems, which should have precluded him from playing demanding sports like football.

Tom Wilson, head trainer for the UH football team, said certain types of injuries could be avoided in football if a dose common sense was applied. Wilson said the type of incident that occurred at A&M would never have happened at UH.

"We check our players for pre-existing conditions before we allow them to play," Wilson said.

Wilson said there are no state or federally regulated guidelines governing the medical screening of potential college football players. This is also true in gridiron play at the high school level.

A survey conducted by the Associated Press reported safety regulations in high school football vary from state to state. Whereas some schools demand prospective players to undergo a stringent physical, others simply require students to answer a medical questionnaire, with no exposure to a doctor.

UH requires players to have a physical examination every year.

"It would be way too costly to do physicals on the players more often than this," Wilson said. "I know all of the players, and I watch them all closely during practice to make sure they're functioning normally on the field."

Wilson said unexpected deaths happened with alarming frequency in the '50s. Most of these deaths were were attributed to heat exhaustion and dehydration, he said.

"Now we take steps to make sure the players are properly hydrated so they don't overheat," Wilson said.

Football is a high-risk sport that sometimes results in serious injuries. Cougar players have suffered broken arms, legs and necks during its almost-50 years, he said.

But Wilson is quick to point out no UH player has ever received a paralyzing injury during his 39 years with the team.

Stowers' death resulted from complications brought on by a broken leg he suffered in a Thursday-afternoon game. Doctors said tiny drops of fatty tissue, from the area of the bone fracture, got into Stowers' bloodstream and eventually circulated into his lungs.

Ultimately, hemorrhaging occurred when the lungs filled with fluid, thus blocking their ability to take in oxygen.

Wilson said deaths occur in football, just as they do in many other sports. But football-related deaths are often over-publicized simply because of the nature of the sport, he said.

"More people would probably die on the way to a football game than would die playing in a football game," Wilson said.

SHAW AT ACTORS' THEATER

BY SALLY POUNCY

You Never Can Tell is Actors' Theater of Houston's latest entry inthe city theater scene.

The play is about a wife who leaves her husband and takes her small children with her. She flees the country to find a happy place to raise her children without negative influences.

The children grow into young adults and start asking questions about their father. Mom begins to feel guilty about her actions and returns to the land of their birth where the children meet their father -- and hate him.

This turn of events makes Dad unhappy, and he blames their mother. He has been angry at her since she left, so he contacts a lawyer and tries to gain custody of the youngest children.

The lawyer says Dad has the rights to the children, only the kids don't want to live with him. Mom keeps the children, and Dad sees them occasionally. Everyone is happy and life goes on.

Sound like a modern-day dilemma? Well it is, only this is from the play You Never Can Tell, by George Bernard Shaw.

Actors' Theater of Houston has taken on the Shaw work as the opening of their fall season. Brandon Smith directs the loquacious comedy and keeps the four-act performance from becoming tiring.

Kirk Sisco portrays the smooth- operating dentist Valentine. The tension he builds in his scenes with Gloria, played by Kate Revnell-Smith, rises until the room almost cracks. He gazes deeply into her eyes, moves his face close to hers then ...

Sisco and Smith have the only love scenes in the play, but when Ashley Jones and Matt Rippey dash around stage as the brother and sister, always-talking twosome, their giggles overflow into the audience. The two work well together, and when Dolly and Philip decide to shut themselves up, they slap laughter into the theater.

Morgan Redmond is the delightful waiter who fixes dinner, drinks and much more. Redmond has the most beloved character in the whole production and takes great care in delivering himself.

You Never Can Tell is well worth a trip into the Village for an evening of fun.

The play is at 8 p.m. on weekends through Nov. 3.

PIG SOOIE

HOUSTON BIG TEST FOR HOGS

BY JASON LUTHER

Saturday in Fayetteville, you can bet the Arkansas Razorbacks will be looking to enjoy the same kind of revenge Baylor enjoyed last week.

However, it could be even sweeter for the Hogs considering this is their last year in the Southwest Conference.

Last year the Cougars greeted Head Coach Jack Crowe in his first year with the Hogs with a 62-28 slaughter in the Astrodome. Arkansas went on to a 3-8 record and only won one conference game. Things were not looking bright for a coach who took over a program that had won two consecutive SWC titles.

"Last year, we had some things just flat get away from us," Crowe said. "A kick in the butt is what it was. It really caused me step back and look at some things, the big picture. It was a tough one on me. But I think we've bettered ourselves."

Things are looking much better for the Hogs coming into Saturday's game. The Razorbacks are 3-2 overall, with a 2-0 mark in conference play, while UH is 1-3 with a 0-1 SWC record.

Arkansas is coming off a big 22-21 come-from-behind victory over Texas Christian University.

Crowe said the win was a real shot in the arm for the Razorbacks.

"I think winning a close game is a sign of the confidence level and the `find-a-way' mentality of the football team," Crowe said. "We've always been fighters, but you have to fight with confidence to win the outcome. I think that kind of win can help you be that way."

The most improved part of the Razorbacks' game has been their defensive play. Arkansas' last four opponents have only averaged 14 points a game. The most points they have given up this year is 31 against Miami in their first game of the year, and that's respectable against the No. 2 team in the country.

However, against the Bears Houston showed signs of breaking out of their offensive slump, and Crowe doesn't want Saturday's game to be Houston's coming-out party.

"Houston is very frustrated to be 1-3," Crowe said. "David Klingler and that group of receivers go down the field to break your back and break your spirit better than anyone in the game. Our real test is this ballgame."

Luckily, for a struggling Cougar defense, the Arkansas offense is probably the most inexperienced offense they will play this year. Quarterback Jason Allen is a freshman and fullback Kerwin Price is the lone senior among the backs.

Houston has not beaten the Razorbacks at Fayetteville since a 20-17 win in 1981.