ROYAL HOPEFULS ANNOUNCED DURING HOMECOMING KICKOFF

BY MAURY HAMMOND

The Cougar Band and the UH

Good News Choir performed before hundreds of onlookers in a rousing kickoff for the 1991 Homecoming events at the UC Arbor Monday.

The choir, with piano man Duane Davis expertly working the keys, belted out a few of its favorite gospel jams, and the Cougar Band did a cover of "Everybody Dance Now," accompanied by the Cougar Dolls.

Runners up for the Homecoming king and queen and other events planned for the week were announced during the 25-minute kickoff ceremony.

Homecoming chairperson Patti Sebastian said the Homecoming week of activities has been in the planning stages since April.

The candidates for homecoming king and queen to be announced Saturday are:

For Homecoming King -- Dylan Moore, Jeffery Heaney, Eric Ploog, Mauricio Rondon and John Wilkinson.

And for Homecoming Queen -- Nicole Fruge, Leisa Frederick, Katherine Lambert, Elizabeth Richmond and Jennifer Zuber.

Sebastian said the candidates went through a "grueling interview process" to get to this point.

The candidates must fill out applications detailing their community involvement, academic achievements and their outside interests. They then each endure interviews lasting about 20 minutes where they are asked why they should be selected, Sebastian said.

Sebastian urged students to attend the pep-rally, bonfire and party this Friday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Lynn Eusan Park.

Beer will be served, live entertainment by the Screaming Waheenees will be provided and everyone will cheer on the Cougars for their engagement with the SMU Mustangs -- a much-needed victory.

*******************************************************

HOMECOMING MIXES WELL WITH SOBRIETY

BY KATHY ALLEN

Homecoming parties, a time-honored tradition, may serve as a way for students to learn first-hand about alcohol, drugs and the opposite sex -- sometimes with tragic results.

This year, UH Homecoming coincides with Alcohol Awareness Week. Students and staff across campus are finalizing preparations for Healthy Homecoming, the name given to the events highlighting Alcohol Awareness Week.

Don Dishaw, a senior English literature major and Pi Kappa Alpha's coordinator for Alcohol Awareness Week said, "It's imperative that they (those celebrating homecoming) are aware of the consequences as far as the physical harm that could come to them, as well as the law."

Director of Campus Activities Consuelo Trevino said "We have a more collaborative effort this year."

Trevino, who is coordinating student involvement in Healthy Homecoming events, did not have to look for sponsors. Pi Kappa Alpha, the Greek Cabinet and BACCHUS called her to offer their assistance.

Healthy Homecoming events will take place on campus, Wednesday and Thursday.

The kickoff event is the ISO Food Fair Booth open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesday at the Cullen Family Plaza. Students can pick up healthy snacks and view an alcohol awareness video at the booth.

Preston Jones, a founder of Harris County's DWI program, will speak at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in the UC Cougar Den.

Jones will discuss alcohol effects, such as how different types of food affect alcohol absorption. He will also discuss the laws and consequences -- financial, physical and emotional -- surrounding alcohol abuse.

Gail Hudson, program director for UH Prevention of Substance Abuse Program, will also speak that evening. Her topic will be HIV and AIDS issues, especially as they relate to alcohol and drug use.

Finally, an Alcohol Awareness Workshop, sponsored by Learning Support Services, will be conducted at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday.

The workshop will focus on how alcohol influences people's decisions. It will also describe how to detect when alcohol has become a problem in an individual's or a loved one's life. To register for the workshop, call 749-7197.

"My fraternity feels if they provide the education, (students will) make educated decisions," Dishaw said.

PRIMUS TRAMPLES THE TOWN

BY CHRIS ENGLISH

The Unicorn stamped its hooves Saturday night to the diverse beats of Primus, Public Enemy and Anthrax, a combination as likely as Bon Jovi and Julio Iglesias (but not nearly as frightening).

Quite a strange crowd conglomerated inside the former supermarket to witness the strange bedfellows do their thing on stage. Oy vey, did they do what they did. What did they do? Lots of things. Specifics? Well ...

The show was supposed to open at 7:50 p.m. with Young Black Teenagers, but if they performed, they must have been sent to bed early, because by 8:15, after a routine run through the Ticket Gestapo, including a body search, they weren't there.

In fact, Primus was already on stage and had performed almost half of its set (about two songs). The extremely short set was the only disappointing thing about the Primus portion. People seem to disagree between the number of songs being either five or six. The talented trio tantalized the crowd with "(Those Damned) Blue Collar Tweekers" and titilated them with "Jerry was a Race Car Driver."

'Twas a sight to shock the more conservative music lover. Tim Alexander crouched over a wicked rack that looked more like the Pentagon's conception of a mousetrap than a trap set, as he massaged it with pedals and sticks. Larry LaLonde's long hair shook in the way as he hunkered over his guitar as it squealed and grunted. Les Claypool's long ponytail whipped around from beneath his tiny porkpie as he rode that battered Washburn for all it was worth, his left leg keeping the time like an epileptic fiddler.

Then, as the enraptured crowd gurgled with joy as Primus climaxed with an almost gymnastic "Tommy the Cat," the band pulled out. Coitus interruptus. There's no better way to describe it. No encore, not even a caress. As the lights quickly came on, the crowd looked around sheepishly, tucking in their shirts, feeling a little cheap.

The lights had to come up. There would have been no way to work these performers together except by treating it as if it were three distinct concerts which happened to take place on the same night. The composition of the stage sardines (those in the crowd who seem to feel the closer, the better) changed as funk fans traded positions with rap fans like shiftworkers. The Public Enemy contigency was kind of ineresting, actually.

The Black Panthers were not in attendance. Instead there were the droves and droves of white, middle-class junior high kids running around in their newly-purchased Public Enemy T-shirts and assorted paraphernalia (i.e., baseball caps, satin jackets, jerseys, pins, sunglasses, monogrammed towel sets, etc.). "Explicit lyrics" warning labels seem to attract 13-year-olds in record stores like lawyers to divorcees. The paraphrenalia serve as indulgences for the young bourgeoisie, as if to forgive them for being the next generation of White Corporate America.

Public Enemy and the boyeeeez comandeered the stage, recruiting the attention of the audience. Terminator stood behind his emblazoned X, surveying the embattlements and marshalling the beat from above Chuck D and Flavor Flav. Firmly entrenched, Public Enemy brought their assault on black oppression to the Houston front. Despite the cavernous size of the Unicorn, the bass from PE's wardrums thumped against the chest with an accusatory finger and shook the floor.

If you have the album, then you heard the concert, because most of it was pre-recorded anyway, but with sampling, it really can't be helped. What is missing from the album is Chuck D speaking his mind.

He spoke about how the black population deserves "about 437 years of reparations" for crimes of oppression by the U.S. Government. Wouldn't slavery be more a question of tort? Anyway, he was quite eloquent and definitely sincere about the subject, regardless of his position. Chuck D represented what has made Public Enemy more than just your average rap band.

The same cannot be said about Flavor Flav's performance. Flavor's flavor was that of cardboard, a cardboard copy of that mainstream self-glorification and trendiness that seems to undermine the band's mission. He came out on stage, with the staple clock-around-the-neck and hooded jacket. The rap itself held the rhyme but rarely the reason, interjecting those tired expressions that you'd expect from Vanilla Ice or LL Cool J.

The reason that this is disturbing is because the clownish clothes, the catch-phrases, even the stock gestures demean the nature of rap by making it into a blackface minstrel show. Black America is still suffering from the derogatory, stereotypical ideas spread by such vaudeville acts.

Speaking of spreading bad things, after Public Enemy released the stage, the Unicorn got a healthy dose of Anthrax. The band that has been spreading the disease for over eight years now, infected Houstonians with a serious case of headbanging. However, the show lacked punch.

DOUGLAS, COUGARS FALL SHORT IN 29-17 LOSS TO RAZORBACKS

BY MIGUEL ZEPEDA AND MIKE ROSEN

A trip to the Ozarks was supposed to be the cure for a bad case of the losing blues.

Instead, quarterback David Klingler and the Houston Cougars are still fighting the ills of a disappointing season, as they lost to the Arkansas Razorbacks 29-17.

Klingler tried desperately to perform but was plagued by what has now been diagnosed as a viral inner-ear infection. He played only the first half, completing nine of 20 passes for 52 yards.

Houston, 1-4 overall and 0-2 in Southwest Conference play, trailed 17-10 at halftime, and Klingler was done for the day.

"David kept saying he wanted to try it in the second half but he got overruled," said Head Coach John Jenkins.

Jenkins went with a three-quarterback rotation to start the second half, playing Jimmy Klingler, Chandler Evans and Donald Douglas, before finally settling on Douglas

"We have the luxery of a backup quarterback," Jenkins said. "Arkansas moved well on defense and they teed off on Evans and Chandler.

"Douglas was able to escape the pressure and I went with him because of his mobility."

Houston actually outgained Arkansas in total yardage, 388-353, but once again miscues and failure to capitalize on those of the opponent, figured into the outcome.

The offense moved the ball behind Douglas and the defense held the Razorbacks in check. But for the second consecutive week, turnovers came between Houston and the win column.

The Cougars had a chance to take the lead five minutes before halftime. Linebacker Ryan McCoy intercepted a Jason Allen pass and returned it 42 yards to the Arkansas two yard line. A face mask penalty gave Houston a first and goal at the one.

After a nine yard sack of Klingler and two incomplete passes, however, the Cougars were forced to settle for a 27-yard Roman Anderson field goal, tying the score at 10.

Most of UH's yardage surprisingly came on the ground. The Cougars amassed 208 yards rushing, and only 180 passing.

Ostell Miles pounded the Arkansas line for 179 yards rushing on 19 carries, with Douglas rushing for 47 yards and one touchdown.

Since winning its season opener 73-3 over Louisiana Tech, UH has lost four consecutive games and has been outscored 158-58.

"It's a shock going from 10-1 to 1-4," linebacker Eric Blount said, referring to the dropoff from last year.

Once again the Cougars had trouble keeping the ball to themselves, as they were intercepted three times and fumbled twice.

The generous Cougars have now turned the ball over 12 times in their last two games.

Houston's defense played well in the third quarter, holding the Razorbacks scoreless, but the offense once again couldn't score the tying touchdown.

Arkansas scored touchdowns on both offense and defense in the fourth quarter, the latter one deciding the game's outcome. With Houston driving for a go-ahead score with less than four minutes remaining, Hogs' cornerback Michael James picked off a Douglas pass and returned it 75 yards for a touchdown

The Cougars got the ball back for one last possession, which ended with Douglas throwing an interception in the endzone. The Razorbacks ran out the clock from there.

"Mistakes at the end really cost us," Douglas said. "We were driving at the end and I really thought we could come back. Arkansas took advantage of our mistakes."

Jenkins said he was impressed with Douglas, although he still has a lot to learn. He said the mistakes were understandable since Douglas hadn't seen live action since the Louisiana Tech game.

Houston's next opponent is the hapless Southern Methodist Mustangs, who haven't won a game in SWC play since 1986.

Saturday's game in the Astrodome could be a fight to avoid the SWC cellar.

UH PROFS VICTIMS OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT, TOO

CAMPUS POLICY DETAILS WHAT STUDENTS AND FACULTY CAN'T DO

As Professor Anita Hill hurled accusations against Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas of sexual harassment last weekend, a clear definition was never explained, but at UH a well-formulated, precise policy has been in effect since the spring of 1991.

Cynthia Freeland, director of the Women's Studies Program, said while she is glad sexual harassment has been brought out into the public eye, she worries that Hill's treatment will discourage other women.

"Because of the backlash against her, women will get discouraged after watching the way Hill was pounced on," Freeland said.

Freeland said many women who have been sexually harassed have been reliving their ordeals after watching the confirmation proceedings.

However, she doesn't think women who have been previously harassed will come forward.

Dorothy Caram, the interim assistant to the President for Affirmative Action, said there were only two sexual harassment charges filed in her office last year.

Freeland said, "A lot of female students came in and confided to me last year. The students have to be telling me the truth because they have no reason to lie. But the students don't do anything because they're afraid."

Some of the possible reasons Freeland cited for victims not coming forward with their complaints were fear of reprisals from the faculty member, interrogations of their character, assualts on their integrity and even scrutiny of their manner of dress.

Freeland said 90 percent of the cases reported are males harassing females, 5 percent are male to male, 4 percent are females sexually harassing males and 1 percent are female to female.

Caram said sexual harassment complaints must be filed within one year of the most recent incident to be considered by UH.

The person filing the complaint may initially contact an appropriate administrator, such as the chair of a department, dean of the college or supervisor.

They can also contact an ombudsperson, who can counsel the person on the details of formalizing a complaint and render advice, Caram said.

If the person wants to file a formal complaint, Caram said her office will file the charge and a committee of three people will hear the complaint.

Dean of Social Sciences Harrell Rodgers said he hears about two cases of sexual harassment each year and most of these he is able to resolve.

"There are more cases where the student is pursuing a faculty member than faculty members pursuing students," Rodgers said.

These "crushes" students have on faculty members result in love letters and frequent telephone calls to faculty members -- one student even tried to gain entrance into a professor's house.

Rodgers said he has heard complaints from students because a joke or language used in a classroom is offensive.

"Some professors are shocked. They were telling a joke in class and didn't know how it was perceived," he said.

There needs to be continuous education so professors are sensitized to what sexual harassment is, Rodgers said.

One professor, who wished to remain anonymous, said he is considering only seeing students in pairs or holding office hours in open areas.

Rodgers said that although he has heard false accusations made against a professor, he doesn't think professors should overreact.

Interim Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs James Pickering said if there is any good that has come out of the Thomas hearings, it is that men and women need to be made more sensitive as to how others view their acts.

"People should treat each other as individuals and not as stereotypes. I think all of us are very concerned about behavior in the workplace, whether it is sexual harassment, manipulation or exploitation.

"If you're a teacher, you have a responsibility to think through these issues. We are influential, and that is a real responsibity," he said.

Faculty Senate President John Bernard said faculty have been more sensitive to the issue since UH-Clear Lake student David Register accused psychology professor Chris Downs of sexual harassment in the summer of 1990 in a widely-publicized case.

Sexual harassment has been a highly-publicized issue after the policy became effective and brochures were sent to faculty members, Bernard said.

"It's become pretty much standard operating procedure to keep the door open (when talking to a student)," Bernard said.

MINORITIES AVOIDING MATH AND SCIENCE

RICE PROF PLACES BLAME ON INSENSITIVE FACULTY

BY CHARLES KILIAN SWEENEY

The number of Ph.Ds given in the fields of mathematics and science to Hispanics and blacks has been steadily declining since 1973, Richard Topia said during his speech as part of Diversity Week.

Topia, who has a doctorate in math from UCLA and teaches mathematics at Rice University, spoke to an audience of 20 people, mostly college professors. No professors from the maths or sciences were present -- nor were any Hispanic or black students.

"The minority population is increasing as they stay away in droves from science," he said.

Topia is the author of two books, the co-author of more than 50 published science papers and is the editor of four prominent mathematical magazines. In 1990, he was named one of the 20 most influential people in minority education.

At the core of poor minority involvement in the sciences is a lack of support from educators, from elementary school to college, Topia said. "(Teachers) have low expectations of the minority student," he said.

On the college level, Topia said minority students are driven away by insensitive faculty members who place little stock in the students' capacity to learn, he said.

Topia cited an ongoing problem at Rice University, where a standard rebuttal to a black student's difficulties in science courses is that the student is an athlete. This has become the butt of many on-campus jokes, he said.

On the primary school level, Topia said teachers may have a deep-seated fear of mathematics and the sciences that is passed on to the pupils.

Immensely intelligent "weird people" are depicted as the only ones capable of succeeding in the complex fields, discouraging students from the subjects at an early age, Topia said.

Topia insisted that the education community needs to "break the stigma that scientists are strange people."

"People can say with pride that they are no good in math," Topia said, "but they wouldn't say that they can't read."

Topia said minority involvement in math and science is extremely important to American society, not solely to the minority community.

America has relied on foreign expertise for its scientific advances for more than 40 years, Topia said. Since World War II, great achievements in science have been made, but the United States has not had an abundant number of native scientists.

Topia focused on the problem with Hispanic students, which he said are not participating in important mainstream science activities, even though they make up a good portion of the population. Down the road, this could lead to a serious problem in the distribution of labor, he said.

Making light of the light attendance, Topia said, "the issue of diversity in science not a popular one." He mentioned several prominent universities where he had lectured recently -- all with sparse audiences.

Professor Emilio Zamora, a UH history professor who teaches a course in Chicano history, was present at the lecture and said he was very disappointed in the turnout.

He noted that other Diversity Week lectures had low turn-outs as well.

Zamora said he would like to encourage his Chicano students to pursue this field.

COLEMAN, BONEY VARY ON MONORAIL USEFULNESS

DISTRICT 147 NOT SERVED BY COSTLY RAIL, BONEY SAYS

BY DAVE DAVIS

If political hopeful Garnet Coleman has his way, the wavering momentum behind Houston's proposed monorail system will again regain strength.

The two candidates vying for the District 147 state legislative position stated diametrically opposing positions in reference to the proposed monorail system for Houston, during the Sunday, Oct. 13 debate, which aired on KMJQ FM 102.

Coleman, a former Houston area business owner and staunch supporter of the monorail proposal, strongly praised the merits of a rail system during Sunday's debate.

"Houston needs a means of mass transportation that will carry it into the 21st century," Coleman said.

Coleman also said a rail system would benefit Houston's lower income families in the area who don't own cars or have any other form of transportation by which to get to work.

Jew Don Boney, Coleman's opponent in today's scheduled run-off election, adamantly opposes the Metropolitan Transit Authority's current monorail plan, and he sternly attacked Coleman for his position on the matter.

"I am still trying to figure out how a rail system that is expected to run from downtown to the Galleria is supposed to benefit the people of this district," Boney said. "How many of our people work in the Galleria?"

Boney, who is currently an associate minister of the Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church, said Houston should follow the advice given by the state legislature and develop a system that is supported by a majority of citizens before it forces the plan through.

The two also disagreed on the subject of a state lottery for Texas as a means of increasing the state's yearly income. Coleman, who says he does not favor gambling in any form, says a lottery would be an acceptable method of supplementing state income providing that communities receive benefits from the lottery in proportion to the amounts of money they contribute to it.

Boney again went on the offensive by accusing Coleman of speaking out of both sides of his mouth. Boney said either Coleman is for the lottery or he is against it, and that state government's time would be better served exploring waste management legislation as a means of recovering lost or mismanaged state funds.

Both candidates walked the tightrope on the highly controversial subject of a mandatory curfew for Houston teenagers. Boney sidestepped the issue by simply suggesting that city council proceed with caution, and that currently, he feels the proposal needs further consideration before any action is taken on it.

Coleman provided a similar answer, but qualified his statement by mentioning the problems that other cities, like San Antonio, have had with an unequal application of the law.

"We don't want the kids in this district to be harassed at night because the have to work late hours for financial reasons," Coleman said.

Coleman said he acknowledges that activity does account for much of Houston's crime problems, but he suggests further consideration on behalf of city council before the measure is passed.

HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP HOLYFIELD READY FOR TYSON

BY MIGUEL ZEPEDA

An eight-year-old Evander Holyfield once thought it was a big deal winning his first boxing championship as a member of the Boys Club.

Twenty years later as the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, Holyfield believes he is the "Real Deal."

Undefeated in his professional career, the 28-year-old is in Houston training for his second title defense. He will meet the number-one ranked contender in the world, former heavyweight champion, Mike Tyson.

Only it's not just another title fight. To many, it's The Fight and quite possibly the biggest sporting extravaganza this decade.

"It feels good and it's an honor to be a part of it. It's not real big pressure," Holyfield says of his Nov. 8 date with Tyson. "I've been involved in many big deals before. When I won my first boxing title, it was a big deal."

Tyson lost the title last year when he fought a then-unknown named James "Buster" Douglas, in one of boxing's most stunning upsets.

Since his loss to Douglas, Tyson's fought Donovan "Razor" Ruddock twice, beating him on a controversial knockout the first time and a 12-round decision the second.

Since then, his only other bouts have been with attorneys. Tyson has been indicted on rape charges and has a paternal suit pending.

Exactly how this will affect Tyson, remains to be seen. One of Holyfield's boxing coaches, Ronnie Shields, thinks Tyson's problems won't have an affect on the former champion's performance.

"Tyson is a great fighter. I feel Tyson will be tougher than if he didn't have any problems. He's a professional," Shields said.

Holyfield doesn't give Tyson's troubles much thought, suggesting he's only training to fight Tyson, not judge him.

"With me, I try not to worry about other people. When you're good at something, it's hard to lose your concentration when you're doing it," Holyfield said.

"He's the kind of guy that comes out to win. I don't get into his personal life. He's no different from the next guy," Holyfield said of Tyson, whom he's known since he was 16.

The truth is, both these fighters are different from the next guy.

Take Holyfield's training methods, unlike those of any other professsional boxer's. He trains not just as a boxer, but as a world-class athlete.

Not only does he have boxing coaches, but also a weightlifting coach, Chasse Jordan, who used to work for six-time Mr. Olympia, Lee Haney.

Jordan says he's not interested in turning Holyfield into a bodybuilder. He says his training methods will only increase his speed and power.

"We're not working on building muscle mass," Jordan said. "He already bench-presses 315 pounds. That's very strong for a boxer. We cross-train at a high rate of intensity. You know the old saying, `More is better,' well, we think better is better."

Holyfield also works out with Tim Hallmark, a fitness guru who helped turn former light-heavyweight Michael Spinks into the heavyweight champion and helped former Houston Rocket Ralph Sampson prepare for the physical play of the National Basketball Association.

Holyfield is also getting better at the expense of his sparring partners. He knocked down Andre McCall, a former ranked heavyweight, during one of his workouts, Oct. 6.

Darren Hayden, 7-1 as a professional and one of Holyfield's sparring partners, says the champ has still not reached his potential.

"He's in excellent shape, but his endurance hasn't reached peak," Hayden said. "I know he's quicker. They're just holding him off. It's all a process. He's got five more weeks of training."

Shields said he plans to work on the champion's timing during the next few weeks.

"His physical shape is good. His timing isn't that good right now. We're training for this fight just like any other," Shields said. "I know Tyson is training hard. I expect Tyson to be tough."

There are many that believe Tyson is the real champion and, come fight time, Tyson should defeat Holyfield. The champion shrugs off those comments.

"I feel everyone has an opinion, but I'm the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world," Holyfield said. "It means a lot to me. I love the game of boxing. People know it takes a lot of hard work, and they respect you for it."

It's true some have taken notice of Holyfield's hard work, but he also admires the work of others, namely singers.

"I like being Evander Holyfield, but I'd like to be a singer, like Luther Vandross or James Ingram," he said.

If he were a singer, he'd probably still be known as the "Real Deal."