VISITING PROF WRITES SCREEN-WORTHY NOVEL

BY ERICKA SCHICHE

Captivating motion picture studio executives with the unpublished manuscript of her novel Before and After, UH visiting Associate Professor of English Rosellen Brown is now poised to have this work adapted into a screenplay.

Brown, selected one of Ms. magazine's 12 Women of the Year in 1985, began her stint as a member of the UH Creative Writing Program in Fall 1982.

She currently teaches creative writing courses at the University of Michigan. She will return to UH to teach classes in the Spring 1992.

Farrar, Straus & Giroux, the relatively small publishing house which published Scott Turow's Presumed Innocent, will publish and distribute Brown's novel in Fall 1992. No exact date of availability has been determined.

"It's (the novel) the story of a family which has to deal with the fact that their 17-year-old son has been accused of murdering his girlfriend," Brown said.

"The novel raises questions about whether a family has the responsibility of complying with legal guidelines and how far a family should go in protecting a child," she said. "The question of who will be held accountable for a child's actions in this situation sets up the dilemma facing this family."

She has already delivered readings from her manuscript at Northwestern University, the University of Michigan and the Breadlof Writers Conference in Vermont.

Brown worked with John Glusman, one of two senior editors at Farrar, Straus & Giroux, during the editing phase of the book.

"I spoke with her about my first reading. Initially, we discussed the gestation of the novel and how it would evolve," Glusman said.

"As I read the book, I was continually struck by Rosellen's ability to discuss profoundly relevant issues in her work," he said.

Guber-Peters, the subsidiary of Columbia Pictures established by Peter Guber and Jon Peters, the producers of the hit movie Batman, is the production company handling the development phase of the motion picture version of Before and After.

Development began last May when Virginia Barber, Brown's literary agent since 1972, sent a copy of her client's manuscript to an agent affiliated with the Los Angeles-based Creative Artists Agency.

CAA, which currently has a high profile clientele including Steven Spielberg, Boyz N' the Hood director John Singleton, Academy Award-winning actress Meryl Streep, Academy Award-winning director Oliver Stone and Madonna.

Once the bidding for the option rights to the book concluded, the CAA agent negotiated for three days with executives at Guber-Peters.

This resulted in a six-figure sum for Brown's book, in addition to the six-figure advance she received from Farrar, Straus & Giroux.

Brown and Barber did not disclose the exact figure, saying it would deflect attention away from the artistic merit of the novel and encourage people to focus more on the commerical aspect.

Aside from the book itself, what makes the project attractive is the names of the people already attached to it, Brown said. Thus far, Streep, Academy Award-nominated diretor Barbet Schroeder (Reversal of Fortune) and Ted Tally, the playwright who did the screen adaptation of Thomas Harris' The Silence of the Lambs, have expressed interest in the project.

"It's easy to see when a book has the potential to be adapted into a feature length film," said Amy Bosley, director of development at Guber-Peters.

"This book is extremely well-written. I wasn't as intrigued with the murder mystery aspect of it as compared with the family. The story is an interesting examination about how we raise our children in this country."

Once Tally begins adapting Brown's novel in December or January, it will become clearer when the pre-production stage will begin. During this stage, casting and budgetary decisions will be made and the final script will be delivered and auditions will be held.

"It's distressing that people are placing so much emphasis on this aspect of the situation as opposed to the book itself," said Brown.

"The most important thing is the book. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to these developments. I'm being pessimistic to prevent a let down."

Her last novel, Civil Wars, was also scheduled for development by Columbia Pictures. The project never made it to the silver screen.

Nevertheless, the prospect of seeing Streep portray the mother and viewing the fruits of Schroeder's and Tally's efforts is pleasing, Brown said.

*******************************************************

CAMPUS LEADERS REACT TO COURT CONFIRMATION

LATE-ROUND PROCESS MUDDLED VIEWS

BY ANTON P. MONTANO

Although unsurprised by the Senate's confirmation Tuesday of Judge Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court, many campus leaders remain troubled by an increasingly political confirmation process whose most recent hearings were dominated by allegations of Thomas's possible unwanted sexual advances on former employee Anita Hill.

In a close 52 to 48 vote, the Senate approved Thomas to replace the vacated Supreme Court seat of retired Justice Thurgood Marshall. Texas Sen. Lloyd Bentsen voted against and Phil Gramm voted for the confirmation.

UH student leaders and faculty, however, questioned the integrity of the confirmation precedings.

"I don't feel the Thomas hearings were taken care of very fairly," Mai Spickelmier, president of UH's College Republicans, said. "I didn't feel they needed to drag Anita Hill through the mud to get dirt on Thomas.

"It's been a mess and a waste of time," Spickelmier said. "And I don't think it changed the opinions of many senators one way or another."

Beginning Friday and lasting until the confirmation vote Tuesday, television audiences periodically watched as senators considered the testimony of Hill, a University of Oklahoma professor of law, who vividly testified Thomas had sexually harassed her while she worked for him at the Education Department and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

In Houston, television ratings show that more than 270,000 households may have watched the hearings Friday and more than 320,000 on Saturday.

"The whole business was very offensive to lots of people," James Herget, a professor of constitutional law at UH's Law Center, said.

Herget said some people were offended by the Senate Judiciary Committee's leaking of information about the sexual harassment charges and the foul language used in the televised hearings.

"Most people have gotten a negative impression from the hearings," Herget said. "But the first part, before Hill's allegations, was the standard Supreme Court process that both Bork and Ginsburg (rejected Supreme Court nominees) went through."

Herget said politics may always be a part of the confirmation process.

"It's only clear that the Supreme Court affects lots of public policy," Herget said. "Certainly since the time of John Adams, presidents have always tried to place people on the court who share their judicial philosophy."

Director of the Council of Ethnic Organizations Joel Richards, initially against the confirmation because of Thomas's views against affirmative action and abortion rights, said Bush's tendency to nominate conservative justices had forced him to accept Thomas.

"When I compare him to Thurgood Marshall, I see a lot of flaws," Richards said. "But, the democrats are in a no-win situation. Bush will always nominate a conservative.

"If it is a question of endorsing a white nominee with a conservative nature, or a black nominee with a conservative nature, I would choose the black because at least he knows what it's like to be black and has lived through it," Richards said.

Cynthia Freeland, head of Women's Studies, said sexual harassment was a serious issue but feared Thomas's conservative tendencies were being ignored.

"I do think people have been too side-tracked on the relevant issues," Freeland said. "I want to know his opinions on Roe v. Wade. Issues like this have been sort of steamrolled, and he seemed to deny having opinions on them."

Freeland and others agreed the confirmation hearings have helped heighten awareness of the issue of sexual harassment.

"Even though it is a smear campaign on both sides, the American public has been made aware of the problem of sexual harassment," Freeland said.

"It's made men and women talk to each other about it," Freeland said.

Herget said no one may ever know if the allegations against Thomas are true.

"If it had been proven by the preponderance of the evidence, perhaps it would have turned votes against him," Herget said. "But, in my mind, the net result of the charges has been zero."

Herget said unless Hill, or Thomas, was proved to be a liar, votes would most likely fall on party lines.

LISTENING TO FAB STARS CROON MOUSEY TUNES

BY SALLY POUNCY

Mickey Mouse may soon be climbing up the pop-charts with Disney's latest offering to popular culture, Mad About the Mouse,

a collection of classic show tunes that have been re-recorded by some of todays biggest artists.

Billy Joel, L.L. Cool J, Harry Connick Jr. and Michael Bolton are only a few of the performers who have tackled the project of bringing some of the old favorites into the `90s.

"Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf" recieved a complete overhaul by L.L. Cool J. Out are the high pitched childish chirpings from the original Three Little Pigs film. The new version offers a great danceable rythm with deep voiced L.L. Cool J supplying the main vocals while sultry female voices deliver the chorus. This song is a far cry from the original, but still retains some of Walt's innocence.

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" gets the romantic treatment from Michael Bolton. He didn't drastically change the rhythm of the original song, but his smooth vocals far out do the squeeky mouse vocals of the original Cinderella song.

The Gypsy Kings give an international flair to the Pinnochio tune "I've Got No Strings." Spanish is substituted for English on the vocals and a flamenco beat strums from acoustic guitars.

"The Bare Necessities" are all Harry Connick Jr. needs for his swinging song from The Jungle Book. Mowgli and Baloo would be proud of Connick's remake. King Louie wouldn't be able to stop dancing.

Unfortunatly, not all of the songs on the recording do justice to their originals. Soul II Soul tried too hard to remake the Oscar Award Winning "Kiss the Girl," and "Mad About the Wolf" by Kirk Whalum sounds too much like L.L. Cool J's remake.

JENKINS' DILEMMA

THREE QUARTERBACKS AND A FOOTBALL

BY MIKE ROSEN

Despite a disastrous first half of the season, John Jenkins has had at least one luxury he could depend on -- a Heisman-caliber quarterback to steer the Run-and-Shoot.

But now the second-year head coach faces a dilemma he was superstitious about even discussing six weeks ago: Who gets the call to replace David Klingler in case of an injury?

It's one of Jenkins' worst nightmares come true.

Klingler departed the Arkansas game with an inner-ear infection at halftime and is listed as questionable against SMU Saturday.

So in a desperate attempt to keep the flow of the offense in tact, Jenkins has decided three backup quarterbacks equal one David Klingler. He's using Donald Douglas, Jimmy Klingler and Chandler Evans on a play-by-play rotating basis, until the offense begins to click.

Whoever emerges successful gets the call.

"If David Klingler doesn't play, or if he's not prepared or not healthy, then it may go all the way up until kickoff time," Jenkins said of his selection process.

"The mental preparation, the mental frame of mind is maybe more critical once we hit Friday and Saturday morning than just the work that's going to be done prior to the Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday practices."

If last Saturday's game against the Razorbacks was any indication, it would seem sophomore backup Donald Douglas is Jenkins' man.

Douglas, Jimmy Klingler and Evans relieved David Klingler beginning in the second half Saturday, and after one possession, Douglas was clearly the most effective.

He went on to complete 10 of 20 passes for 108 yards, gained 47 yards on the ground and ran for Houston's only score of the half. He did, however, throw two interceptions.

"I think he did a lot of good things (against Arkansas). Still, Donald understands that he's got a ways to go, too; and from the standpoint of progression, continue to develop mentally," Jenkins said.

Meanwhile, Douglas plans to make the most of David Klingler's absence from the lineup.

"Of course, I'd really like to get a lot of playing time in this game," Douglas said. "It's experience for next year and years to come. But it's up to Coach Jenkins. He knows what he wants.

Douglas says he's not exactly thrilled about being rotated in every third play because it makes it difficult to maintain momentum during a drive. But he says he'll take the playing time anyway he can get it.

"I feel it's all three of our chances to show what we can do in a game. I plan on taking advantage of it."

BIG GRANT FOR SUBSTANCE ABUSE

BY KATHY ALLEN

UH was awarded a $152,000 federal grant last week to develop a substance abuse education and prevention program.

The grant, awarded by the Fund for the Improvement of Post Secondary Education, coupled with UH's commitment of $177,000 will fund the new UH Prevention of Substance Abuse Program.

Although PSA is housed within Counseling & Testing Service, PSA's aim is to implement a comprehensive, university-wide education and prevention program, said Dr. Gail Hudson, PSA program director.

"Not only will we be creating new programs and new activities on campus," said Hudson, "but we're also going to hopefully serve as a clearing house for other university programs so that we can all know what's going on across campus."

Although most students have already been exposed to drug prevention programs throughout their high school careers, Hudson explained that drug education is necessary at college as well.

"One of the things that we know on college campuses is that alcohol and other substance use goes up the first year of college, and then it tends to level off.

"So as potential use goes up, so does potential risk. Any time the students are at increased risk, having problems or having difficulties, the university has a responsibility to help them, to educate them," said Hudson.

But, Hudson said, drugs shouldn't be talked about in isolation. Drugs must be talked about in a context in which students find themselves making decisions.

"For example, they are forming new relationships and alcohol is often a part of that," Hudson said. "They're developing a new identity for themselves, they're expanding how they see themselves."

Hudson added that date rape, AIDS, violencje and aggressive behavior are campus issues that are directly related to alcohol and other drugs.

"People are starting to see the connection between alcohol and drugs and the other issues that have a profound impact on their lives," Hudson said.

"Students want to be informed in order to make decisions," Hudson said. "We want to create an environment on campus where healthy decision making is the norm."

PSA plans to bring in speakers, conduct training programs, coordinate peer educator groups and provide counseling. PSA will also focus on ways to reach commuter students.

As a university-wide program, PSAB will co-sponsor many drug prevention activities. PSA's first co-sponsorship effort is Healthy Homecoming, a series of events this week geared toward alcohol awareness.

Other upcoming events include a drug-free pledge week called Red Ribbon Week and a suicide teleconference.

Hudson encourages students, staff and faculty to call her at 749-1731 for more information about the new program.

JUDGE AWARDS SUING STUDENTMONIES, NEW SHOT AT DOCTORATE

BY DAI HUYNH

A Harris County District Judge ruled Monday that UH violated the right to free expression under the Texas Constitution by expelling a student on the basis of his political views and not for academic reasons.

After three-year of state and federal litigation,125 th State District Judge Don E. Wittig ordered the university to reinstate Fabian Vaksman, 37, to the History Department's doctorate program.

On Oct. 29, 1986, the History Graduate Committee notified Vaksman of his dismissal saying that he was a "polemicist who substitutes political ideology for original research and scholarly analysis."

Vaksman passed all academic requirements and was two years into his dissertation when he was dismissed by the department.

In Wittig's summary judgement, he stated that the committee had concluded they have nothing to teach Vaksman, and in their views he was "unteachable."

Only five months before the expulsion, the department had complimented Vaksman on his intellect, enthusiasm and diligence, but added that "nearly all reports also indicate that you must modify your approach to history, and to American historians."

Wittig said "The overwhelming evidence indicated that Fabian Vaksman was dismissed not on an academic basis but because he expressed political views and was a 'thorn in the side' of certain members of the History Department."

The judge also criticized the committee for not considering the views of History Professor Clifford Egan, Vaksman's advisor during his dissertation process.

"I'm please by the verdict rendered by the court. This is the case of justice delayed, and justice finally done," said Egan, who testified on Vaksman's behalf.

The plaintiff's attorney, David T. Lopez said the university did not called any witness to testified on its behalf concerning Vaksman's academic deficiencies. Even members of the Board of Regents who were under scrutiny did not testified, he said.

"That's highly unusual. It's not the best strategy to win a case," he said.

The plaintiff presented character witnesses and over 30 documents.

The university did not present any live testimony, but over 100 defendant's exibits were received in evidence at the beginning of the trial.

Lopez described Vaksman as a highly outspoken critic whose views conflicted with those of university's officials.

The university was incensed about Vaksman's published articles in the Daily Cougar and the Houston Post, criticizing its officials of misappropriating funds, he said.

The judgement awarded Vaksman $90,000 in attorney fees, $22, 500 in actual damages against UH regents and officials and $10,000 against Ettling and faculty member James Jones for intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Vaksman's case was scheduled to go to the U.S. Federal Court Tuesday to be tried under the U.S. Constitution rather than state, but U.S. District Court Judge Norman Black postponed the trial. Black ordered the two parties to reach a settlement within 10 days before further legal actions.

UH Counsel Nancy Footer said the university has filed notice of appeal and will make no further comment on the pending litigation. At this time, the university does not intend to reinstate Vaksman or pay his $122,500 award during the appeal process.

Lopez said "I think it (notice of appeal) reflects the initial disappointment of the university defendants. It's a psychological thing."

There is little chance that an appeal would be successful because the university had no testimonial evidence and the trial was before a judge not a jury, he said.

PROF DISCOVERS CHEAP AID FOR DYSLEXIC KIDS

PLASTIC TRANSPARENCIES MAY AID BRAIN IN PROCESSING INFORMATION

BY PAM JEMISON

Blue plastic transparency sheets have the potential to help millions of schoolchildren who suffer from dyslexia, a learning disorder characterized mainly by the reversal of letters and numbers while reading and writing.

This new treatment is a result of the research of UH Psychology Professor, Bruno Breitmeyer. Breitmeyer's research proved that dyslexia is a malfunction in the way the brain processes visual information, rather than language, as previously thought.

While only preliminary results are in, great hope is being placed in this simple new treatment of placing a piece of plastic over a page of text. These thin blue sheets of plastic transparency filter out long-wavelength light, which has been shown to inhibit activity in one of the visual pathways from the eye to the brain.

By eliminating this interference, Breitmeyer believes that better transmission of information to the brain will allow dyslexic children to read more easily.

According to Breitmeyer, with the new treatment some dyslexic children have caught up with classmates in as little as two months. Although the speed at which they reach normal reading levels does depend on their motivation and the consistency with which they use the transparencies.

Breitmeyer's research from the mid 1970's to the early 1980's, clarified properties of two major visual pathways to the brain : a slow responding and a fast responding path. This work confirmed how these pathways effected visual information processing and reading. Breitmeyer collaborated with Mary Williams in the research on the effect of colored filters in the fast-responding pathway of normal subjects. This research led to the discovery that colored filters can be useful in the treatment of dyslexia.

Breitmeyer states that the use of blue transparency has been effective about 80% of the time in helping dyslexic children improve their reading, while in another 8% a red transparency is more effective.

Phillis Turner, a teacher of the learning disabled at Clifton Middle School, reacted with shock and disbelief upon hearing of the new treatment.

"Dyslexia is so complex. It is difficult to see how one transparency could help someone. I would have to see it," commented Turner.

While HISD has no current testing available to decipher those students suffering from dyslexia from other learning disablities, Turner states that many of her students exhibit varying degrees of dyslexia. Besides the reversal of letters, Turner states other symptoms include a short attention span and poor handwriting.

As required of all HISD special education teachers, Turner uses a multisensory approach to teaching which stresses the repetition of alphabetic phonics, sky writing, learning clues, and verbal expression, among many other techniques.

"When people say dyslexia they think of children really struggling, " comments Turner, "but bright children compensate differently than the child with a lower IQ."

Turner stated that the treatment's effect would depend on "the child and the child's needs--his strengths and weaknesses."

Steven Esquivel, a current student of Turner who suffers from dyslexia, shared his teacher's view of disbelief and caution at the new findings.

"I don't think it would help me, " admits Esquivel, who complains of seeing words in his mind differently than he writes them. He does, however, believe the transparencies may help others in his class concentrate better. For himself, Esquivel holds more faith in Turner's phonics class.

"I think I've improved quite a bit, " states Esquivel, "Its helped a lot. It helps me figure out the words."

Many of these kids have labeled slow, or lazy for years before getting the special attention that they need. While Esquivel states that he has "learned not to be embarrassed" about being in a special class.

"There are certain guys who think they won't be liked because of it," Esquivel said.

COOGS EDGE OUT A&M, AWAIT BATTLE WITH UT

MARTY HAJOVSKY

VOLLEYBALL NOTEBOOK

As a famous bandleader once noted, it don't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing.

On Sunday the Cougars showed that swings are what they have in abundance as they stormed into College Station for a spotty come-from-behind 3-1 match win over Texas A&M.

Impressive individual performances by Karen Bell, Janelle Harmonson and Ashley Mulkey were obscured somewhat as the UH netters committed 19 service errors, one shy of their season high, in defeating the Aggies 12-15, 15-8, 15-7, 15-13.

"If this were baseball, we'd be in a slump, service-wise," Head Coach Bill Walton said after the match.

"The problem with service errors is you're giving the ball to the other team. We had to spike 19 more kills just to get the ball back."

Luckily, the Cougars needed and got an all-around offensive effort to overcome the problems at the line. Mulkey showed once again why she is slowly acquiring the reputation as one of the up and coming forces in the Southwest Conference. Mulkey scorched A&M with a 15 for 19 performance with only three errors, good for a .632 hitting percentage.

The star of the past week, though, was senior Karen Bell with outstanding performances against both A&M and Texas Tech. Bell, last week's SWC Player of the Week, is a sure favorite to repeat with a composite .411 hitting percentage, 19 defensive digs and 31 kills with only one error. She has registered 66 kills in the last four matches.

Regardless of how the conference feels about her, she has secured for herself a place in UH history, becoming only the third player in school history to record over 1,000 kills in a career. Bell's 21 kills at College Station gives her a career total of 1,018, sneaking up on Cougar immortals Latisha Charles (1,138) and Julie Gates (1,225).

Bell couldn't have chosen a better time to peak as the 11th ranked powerhouse Texas Longhorns come into Hofheinz for a conference showdown Wednesday night.

Texas blew out Rice on Sunday 15-4, 15-4, 15-3 for their 67th consecutive SWC win. That streak dates back to 1984 when the Horns fell to the Cougars, 3-1.

Houston has a streak of its own to protect, though, as they have won the last seven in a row at home and are looking to make it eight.

The keys to beating Texas, possibly the most beatable Longhorn team in years, are simple. First and most important, the Cougars have to lower their service errors. You can get away with 19 against the Aggies, not so versus the Horns. Second, not only Bell has to stay on fire, but also Karina Faber and Heidi Sticksel have to shake off their nagging injuries and be at 100 percent.

Finally, they have got to put together a total team effort. This team has had a problem this year in fading once things start looking bad against tough competition. They start losing and keep losing. If this team keeps their composure, with their attacking strength they can beat anybody in the country, including the Texas Longhorns. It just remains to be seen if they can do exactly that.

BUDGET SHORTFALLS FALL ON SHOULDERS OF GRADUATES

ALUMNI GIVE MORE GIFTS, VOLUNTEER TIME

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

They might be gone, but they certainly are not forgotten.

Alumni, in fact, are on the minds of college and university administrators even more often these days, playing an increasingly large role in keeping affordable education alive and well during times of financial difficulty.

"They are absolutely essential. That's the backbone of it all," says Charlotte Heartt, director of development at Smith College in Northampton, Mass.

Statistics agree. The 1991 Voluntary Support of Education survey published by the Council for Aid to Education showed that U.S. colleges snagged $9.8 billion dollars in contributions during the 1990 academic year, the highest amount ever.

Alumni contributions accounted for 26 percent of that total--an estimated $2.5 billion. Corporations, foundations, religious organizations and other individuals donated the rest.

"As colleges are feeling more financial pressure, they are going to try to get more money" from voluntary sources, says David Morgan of Council for Aid to Education's Alumni Services. "By and large, voluntary support has grown steadily over the past 30 years."

Most colleges and universities have noticed the trend, scoring record-breaking Capital Campaigns for donations and developing new, innovative alumni programs in which people can donate both money and services.

"We've seen a dramatic increase in the number of volunteers," says Richard Tantillo, director of development at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y. "If alumni are involved in another way first it makes them more passionate when they get to fund-raising."

Volunteer services offered by alumni at various schools include recruiting, serving on legislative committees to lobby state governments, serving on college steering committees and other boards and working with career development networks for recent graduates of their alma maters.

Stanford University, which is second in the nation in both corporate and other voluntary gift-receiving, relies hevily on volunteerism as well.

Stanford has almost ended its centennial Capital Campaign, which has raised $1.2 billion so far, surpassing its goal of $1.1 billion by February, 1992.

"We say the creation of a volunteer (alumni) network in which we will have made face-to-face contacct with about 10,000 alumni (for donations) by February. That requires a huge volunteer structure," says Elizabeth Sloan, director of communications in Stanford's development office. "We have a more committed group of alumni than we've ever had before."

Of the $1.2 billion total, about $760 million cam from alumni contributions. To date, Stanford's five-year campaign is the largest in the nation's history. But, both Harvard University and Cornell University have recently launched campaigns with loftier goals.

Heartt says Smith College, an all-women's school, just completed its own record-breaking year, raising $163 million, the most achieved by a liberal arts college nationwide.

"Alumnae represent 70 percent of our giving," she says. "Their commitment encourages other to give."

The Council for Aid to Education named the University of Iowa as its top alumni association in the country in 1990--the focus there has primarily been on volunteerism. An example--alumni who are active in adult literacy programs.

"Adult illiteracy is a nationwide problem," says Rich Emerson, director of Iowa's alumni association. "We have alumni tutors helping those who border on illiteracy." Another example of unique alumni volunteer involvement occurs every year at one of the nation's smallest, accredited co-educational colleges.

At Sterling College in Craftbury Common, Vt., alumni return each year for an alumni work weekend. Activities in the past have included building a solar-powered barn, building a new library, putting up fences and building drainage ditches.

"We get a lot of donated labor, some of it is fairly skilled," says Sarabelle Hitchner, vice president for college relations.

Hitchner says last year about 100 alumni returned--that's a sizable turnout considering the school only admits about 80 people for each class during the regular school year.

At Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, one of the focuses of fund-raising is current students.

"The money we raise will be tangibly beneficial for endowed scholarships and grants for exceptional students," says Colleen Holmes, director of the alumni association. "Universities aren't the only ones hurting. We decided it's more important than ever to provide scholarships to continue to attract top students."

Ann Riddle, director of annual support at the University of Dayton agrees and says students understand that alumni are directly responsible for holding down the cost of tuition even when other financial problems are causing increases.

"People do realize that alumni support them and that their tuition would be a hell of a lot higher without them," she says.

Tuition is a sticky point at many colleges these days because of increases, and one school has decided to turn back the hands of time to revitalize its alumnae and benefit its students at the same time.

To celebrate its upcoming centennial in 1993, Hood College in Frederick, Md., is awarding 10 scholarships to students who had a relative graduate from the school, allowing them to pay tuition equal to what their relative paid.

NOONTIME GATHERING ARMS STUDENTS WITH INFORMATION

BY STEVE GARRETT

Crime is rampant in Houston, and the college campuses located within its boundaries are no exception.

But help is on the way for UH students, faculty and staffers.

During a brown-bag lunch at the M.D. Anderson Library at noon today, sponsored by the UH Women's Network, campus citizens will have the opportunity to learn crime-prevention tips from the experts.

"It's for anybody on campus that has a legitimate concern about their personal safety," Ass. Police Chief Frank Cempa said.

Cempa and Pam Flick, a crime-prevention consultant, will point out precautions people can take to ensure they don't become the latest crime statistics.

Cempa will explain ways to guard against one of the new forms of crime that has arisen in the wake of Houston's criminal upheaval in which cars are stolen at gunpoint--carjacking.

"It's not a problem on campus at this time, but people need to be aware of it," Cempa said.

"Everyone today needs the heightened awareness to hopefully preclude them from becoming the victim of criminal act," he said. "Knowledge is power. You have to have a knowledge of what's going on in your community."

Cempa said it is important to look not only at the microcosmic world of the university, but at society as a whole to get a full understanding of the crime problem facing the nation. He pointed out that people should make themselves aware of the punishment convicted criminals are getting.

Crime on this campus averaged about the same over the past 10 years, but begain to increase slightly last year, Cempa said. The assistant chief said he wants to hire more officers to combat the increase in campus crime.

"With the growth of the university and community, we need to get the manpower allocation for the police department to see if it's going to be comparable to address the needs and safety concerns of the campus," Cempa said.

Cempa said he will also remind those attending the luncheon they can also protect themselves by taking advantage of services offered by campus police. These include free escort and vehicle assistance services.

"These sorts of activities help reduce the opportunity for an incident occurring," he said.