AVID COUGAR FANS ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO JOIN GRIDIRON PARTY

BY TIFFINY CONSOLI

Four years ago, Ernest and Jo Powell decided to get one new person to buy a UH season ticket each year.

They never realized today they would be sitting with 100 of them at each UH football game.

In 1982, the Powells picked up four good seats on the 50-yard line. They kept their seats over the years and began inviting friends to go with them.

"We didn't have very many people attending our games. My wife and I started talking and decided to get one new season ticket holder every year," Ernest Powell said.

The rest is history. The Powells, together with a friend, Caroline Bosco, have encouraged nearly 100 new season ticket holders in four years.

"Everyone in our group brings in new people," Powell said. "It really took off well when the Boscos got involved."

Bosco is responsible for 48 of the tickets in just four months. She began with her brother-in-law and father-in-law and classmates and friends at church, she said.

"It wasn't important that they went to UH, but it was important that they liked UH. It was important that they weren't Aggies or T-sips, although there are some in the group," Bosco said with a smile.

Bobbie Farris, a season ticket holder, has gotten four new people added to the group.

"We've been there when they lost and when they're losing. It's more fun when they're winning," Farris said.

Everyone in the group sits in the same area. Roland Sparks, manager of the ticket office, said, "We bend over backwards to do what we can to help them. They are excited about just going to games and having fun. We need more people to take it upon themselves to go out and help."

Powell, who graduated from UH in 1960, said he felt he owed the university for the opportunity it gave to business workers to attend college.

"I always diverted the conversation to UH when people came to my office and spoke about A&M or Texas," he said.

Powell hosted a barbecue in August and invited Head Coach John Jenkins to attend and watch highlights of past games. "The idea is to get people interested," he said.

"Everything UH does good helps me and my degree. I think the students are missing a lot of fun," he said. "I would challenge any UH grad to get just one person every year."

*******************************************************

MADONNA TOPIC OF SOCIOLOGY STUDENT'S MASTER DISSERTATION

IMPACT OF POP STAR'S PERSONA STUDIED

BY MARJORIE GOODMAN

SPECIAL TO THE COUGAR

A master's thesis on Madonna? You must be kidding.

But for Carlos Iglesias this is no joke.

"The Madonna Phenomenon: A Sociological Interpretation" is the title of this sociology graduate student's thesis.

"Madonna is the greatest sociologist of all times," he said, referring to the singer's questioning of society's norms, which is something done by sociologists.

Iglesias' study is focused on how Madonna influences people, how her fans create their lives around her and how she influences their self-concepts.

"I am not offering my personal interpretations of Madonna. I am going to fans and asking `Why is Madonna important to you?' `How does she affect who you are?' and `What does it mean to you to have people know that you are a Madonna fan?'" Iglesias said.

Most importantly to Iglesias is studying her the social and political issues of Madonna more than her musical side. He said she has used the popularity and fame she gained through her early costumes and style to become more of a social and political figure.

He said it is more acceptable in society when male performers use their prestige to get a message across than it is when women do.

"Gender has always been a big thing as far as she's concerned. If a man is shouting causes, it's okay. But when a woman is doing it, people don't really know how to react," he said.

Iglesias has divided Madonna fans into several classifications. He calls one group "Post-modern feminists," referring to their following of Madonna's role in the women's movement.

"She's saying that women can do as much as men can do without relinquishing their femininity," he said.

One example he gave was of her controversial manner in which Madonna grabs her crotch during performances. While male performers can get away with this, it caused a stir when she did the same thing, he said.

Another of her big issues, according to Iglesias, is censorship. He said if MTV is going to censor her videos, they should censor other videos, such as those where women are portrayed as men's objects. In this sense, it fits in with the "post-modern feminists" who want equality.

The earliest group of fans were the "wanna-bes," he said. These were the females who dressed like her during her early years when she wore lace, ruffles, bows and rubber bracelets. Iglesias said many of these girls grew up to be the "post-modern feminists."

The "wanna-bes" were attracted to her music and style. Iglesias said they followed Madonna's lead in breaking the rules, seen on one level as how females should dress to be accepted by society.

Young females saw they could "be what they wanted to be, do anything a man could do and still retain their femininity," he said.

The other two groups mentioned by Iglesias are "glamour boys," her homosexual male followers, and "hetero-dudes," males who listen to her music and admire her.

Iglesias is also studying Madonna's political activism, including her promotion of animal rights and AIDS awareness. Madonna is a vegetarian and does not condone the wearing of animal furs and when furs are seen in her videos, as in the "Material Girl" video, they are fake.

She appeared in a video for a program called Rock the Vote, intended to encourage young people to excercise their right to vote. She also promoted installing condom machines in New York City public schools, he said.

Iglesias said he did most of his studies and work on AIDS and People With AIDS during his undergraduate and much of his graduate work. Although it was intrinsically rewarding, he said, it was draining, and he wanted to do his thesis on something completely different.

He said he talked with Joe Kotarba, his thesis advisor, whose two big topics are AIDS and popular culture. Kotarba knew of his interest in Madonna and encouraged him to do his thesis on her.

"Although I wanted to, I didn't know how seriously it would be taken. Then I found out a lot of colleges offer classes specifically on Madonna from master's and doctorate-level work," he said.

Iglesias plans to graduate in May.

SA ATTEMPTS TO ELIMINATE CURRENT IDS

RANDOM NUMBERS ARE LESS PERSONAL

BY ANTON P. MONTANO

Members of UH's Students' Association approved bills Monday eliminating the use of Social Security numbers within the SA, mandating increased funding for the library and creating an introductory course to the core curriculum.

Passage of SA bill 28013 will mean students are no longer required to use their Social Security numbers on SA application forms.

Senator Jay Prince, the bill's author, said he would soon submit a bill prohibiting the wide-spread use of Social Security numbers throughout campus.

"Eventually, I want to see the university switch over to a random number system instead of using Social Security numbers," Prince said.

Students' Social Security numbers are used as identification numbers presented each time identification cards or residence hall cards are used.

SA bill 28013 says an increased number of Social Security fraud convictions, the large amount of information attainable through Social Security numbers and the 1974 Privacy Act prohibiting the government from giving out information from individuals' files are reasons for the bill.

The SA's Director of Personnel, however, would continue to keep Social Security numbers for enrollment verification and for payroll purposes.

In other SA action, senators unanimously passed University Bill 28007 calling on the increased funding of UH's library to no less than 103 percent of recommended funding by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

Noting the library's ranking of 107 out of 108 research libraries in the country, the bill says the library only receives 93 percent of the almost $4 million in yearly funds budgeted.

"We made a stronger statement that I was happy to see everybody agree to," said Prince who helped steer the bill through four floor amendments.

The library bill lists University of Texas at Arlington, University of Texas at Austin, Texas Tech, North Texas and Texas A&M as all allocating funding for their libraries above UH.

Just above UH, Texas A&M funds its library at 103 percent of state allocated funds. At the top, UT-Arlington and UT-Austin allocate funds of 143 and 132 percent.

Texas Tech is at 116 percent and North Texas is at 113 percent.

Senators also passed University Bill 28009 requesting the addition of a first-year experience course to the undergraduate curriculum.

Coinciding with a similar proposal in the UH Undergraduate Council Oct. 16, UB 28009 says the one credit pass-fail course would help address UH's high student drop-out rate.

"It seems a bit unfair for the university to admit students who are at risk and not provide the support to tackle UH's poor retention rates," Kevin Jefferies, the bill's author, said.

The bill, however, does not make specifications for the course.

"We have to remember that we're dealing with administrative people who've had years of experience and are more aware of the means necessary to implement action," Jefferies said.

Jefferies said Director of Academic Advising Hyland Packard was as a prime supportor of the course.

Packard could not be reached for comment.

In further action, senators defeated a bill establishing a consistent campus-wide grading policy.

Jefferies, chair of the University Administration and Finance Committee, told senators the committee found wide-spread disagreement about what grading system would work best campus-wide.

Senators will hold a special meeting next Monday to address the more than 20 percent vacancies in UH committee student positions.

GREEKS EARN REWARD FOR FAITHFUL SUPPORT

BY AMIE REBECCA KLANKE

Senior Mauricio Rondon and junior Jennifer Zuber have been named this year's Homecoming King and Queen.

Rondon, an accounting major, is president of Delta Upsilon.

"My goal was to be named to the Homecoming Court. Being named king was a total surprise," Rondon said.

"By electing me Homecoming King, the campus has recognized me for all my participation and contributions to campus activities," Rondon said.

Zuber, a political science major, is vice president of pledge education for Alpha Chi Omega.

"I feel that it was a great honor to have been selected to the Homecoming Court, but it was overwhelming to be selected as queen," Zuber said.

Ten applicants were selected to be interviewed for the honor of king and queen. A written application and personal interview were weighed equally in the judging.

Zuber said she believed she represented the school well because she is involved in a wide range of activities. She feels her participation in school activities shows commuting students can offer as much as those who live on campus.

Zuber is also a UH Ambassador, and a feature twirler for the Cougar Band.

"One of the greatest feelings I've ever experienced was knowing that whether or not I won, I had total support from my friends, family and sorority sisters," Zuber said.

CENTER HELPS GRADUATING STUDENTS

JOBANK WORKS AS STUDENTS ENTER TOUGH MARKET

BY CATHY ALLEN

Nervous students dressed in conservative suits anxiously await their 25-minute opportunity to impress the corporate recruiter.

That is the image most students have of the UH Career Planning and Placement Center. After all, 1,800 students got dressed up for campus interviews last year.

When it was all over, roughly 450 job offers were extended to students as a result of campus recruiting.

But, as center statistics point out, not all students landed their jobs through traditional campus recruiting.

"I recommend in this job market that all majors use all available resources -- even engineering," said David Small, assistant vice president for Student Services. "Just don't sit back and wait for the companies to come here."

Alternatives to campus interviewing include access to regional companies through JOBank and access to companies nationwide through a resume database.

Also, workshops and counseling are available to provide students with job-search skills and career option information.

For those students desiring to remain in the Houston vicinity, JOBank can prove useful.

"One of our thrusts in the past two years has been to reach out to the local companies and let them know of our services, and if they can't recruit on campus, at least establish a referral relationship," Small said referring to JOBank.

Through JOBank, companies may request the center post job notices or fax applicable student resumes to them.

"(JOBank) has been very effective. We contacted over 450 companies this past summer, and we're still seeing the results of that," Small said.

For those students desiring relocation, a nationwide resume database, kiNexus, is now available to students in all disciplines at no cost.

kiNexus makes a student's resume available to more than 1,200 corporations, including 80 percent of the Fortune 500 firms. It's also very appealing to the smaller companies without large budgets to recruit nationwide.

Effectively, companies can use up to 25 descriptors to zero in on specific resumes.

"This should be part of a student's arsenal," Small said. "Students are getting interviews and phone calls (through kiNexus). Basically, they are exposed to any company across the nation."

The center also offers more than 200 workshops a year in resume writing, interview techniques, career planning, videotaped interview critiques and other related topics.

These can be especially useful to students with majors that aren't served by companies coming to campus. For those students, the center tries to impart the skills necessary to mount one's own job campaign, including sending out letters, networking, using the want ads and employment agencies, Small said.

Career Planning and Placement also offers counseling to students who are uncertain of career options or who would like to explore alternative career options for their degree, said Anita Wollison-Bartlett, a counselor.

The counseling sometimes leads to a meeting with an alumni volunteer. This is helpful to students who have no role models to rely on for information about an industry or occupation.

The alumni volunteer can provide a student with insights on what it's really like to work in a particular occupation or how to get started in a career, Wollison-Bartlett said.

Career Planning and Placement is located on the first floor of the Student Service Center.

LIBRARIES NATIONWIDE SEEK CREATIVE FUNDING

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

College and university libraries are the latest victims of the budget-cutting guillotine, and administrators are frantically looking for ways to trim expenses without losing thier heads.

A shortage of money has resulted in cutbacks in hours, cancellations in journal subscriptions, delays in expensive book purchases and, in some cases, fee increases.

"It's a big problem," said Sarah Pritchard, associate executive director of the Association of Research Libraries. "It's a grave concern for the future of education and for the building up of scholarly research."

Even though money is tight, most schools don't want to reduce the money they give their libraries, so they are allocating the same amount of money as last year.

But the cost of library materials has tripled since last year because of inflation, Pritchard says. So, administrators are facing de facto reductions in their budgets and are now scrambling to find alternative sources of funding and inovative ways to avoid cutting off access to materials.

Unlike other student services, however, most administrators firmly reject the idea of initiating a fee-for-service method of generating more revenue.

"Fees are very controversial because libraries are based on the philosophy of providing unlimited access to information," Pritchard said. "User fees for basic services and for primary users is so fundamentally against the concept we are based on."

Still, some have contemplated and acted on fee proposals. At the University of Texas at Dallas, the student newspaper, The Mercury, reported the Student Service Fee Committee made an unprecedented decision to use fee money to keep the library open longer than the hours funded by the state.

To generate more money without resorting to user fees, however, some schools have hired full-time library development officers who solicit special library endowments and grants and try to encourge alumni donation and other gift-giving.

"We do get a lot of donations of books, but unfortunately they're not always the books that we need," said John Flemming, interim co-director of library services at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania.

As other alternatives, many schools are looking to share sources through programs like inter-library loan; they are cutting back on investments in rare book collections; they are charging minimal fees for specialized services and they are focusing on continued technological advancements like computer databases that will save them money in the long run.

On the down side, however, many schools are also reducing staff hours and cancelling subscriptions to some scholarly journals.

"We've been circulating lists of journals to departments asking them which to get rid of," said P. Grady Morein, director of library services at the University of West Florida. "Faculty have tended to resist those cuts and are asking us to get rid of books first."

West Florida is also cutting its hours -- the library is currently closed on Saturdays and has shaved a half-hour from its daily hours of operation.

Students, upset with the reduction of hours, are petitioning the university's administration.

At the University of Arizona, where daily closing hours were shifted from 2 a.m. to midnight because of cuts, student government officials objected so strongly that the university reallocated $24,000 to the library to reinstate the lost hours.

"There are still real cuts in other areas that at the moment aren't apparent," said Carla Stoffle, Arizona's head librarian. "There will be less access to materials and less bibliographical access, among other things."

Arizona's library had its budget cut $240,000 this year, but the administration had promised Stoffle $1 million for technical automation of the library.

"We are aggressively moving ahead with the automation and that will ultimately enhance our services," she said.

At the University of Illinois in Urbana, a $233,000 cut to the library's service budget also forced hour reductions.

"We didn't receive cuts to our materials budget, but we had to cancel 1,060 journals just to hold the line," said Dale Montanelli, director of administrative services for the library.

ALTERNATIVE MOVIES NEAR AT HAND

MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS REGULARLY SHOWS QUALITY FILMS

BY TODD DUPLANTIS

Got the yearning to see Casablanca on the big screen? How about an experimental film produced by Yoko Ono or maybe even a campus classic like The Swarm?

Films like these, as well as others, are shown weekly as part of the Museum of Fine Arts film program. Museum film curator Marian Luntz said the program is the oldest feature film program in Houston. Started in the `30s, the film department shows films in the museum's Brown Auditorium every weekend night.

Films featured by the department are shown as part of different series. Past series have included "Jean Renoir: Humanist Extraordinaire," "Made in Houston" and "The Age of Exploration."

Luntz said the department tries to incorporate a balance of foreign films, revivals and classics. "What we're trying to do is bridge the gap between what the commerical theaters would show and things on television or cable.

"One of the problems we have is that people are just not aware the museum has (a) film program," Luntz said.

UH Professor William Hawes, who is currently teaching a film appreciation class, said although he does not require his students to attend the MFA's features, he does recommend it.

"It (the program) tends to be an alternative film exhibition in a city that is desperate for alternative film showings," he said.

The current "Made in Houston" series highlights not only local films, but films that are catchy or campy, Luntz said. Films on the campy side have included the Dolph Lundgren vehicle I Come in Peace and The Swarm.

Luntz is considering broadening the spectrum of films shown in the series to give independent filmmakers and students a venue for their projects.

"We haven't really persued that, but it's something that's in the hopper. It makes sense," Luntz said.

Last month, the film department featured the films of Yoko Ono. Although the series received substantial press coverage, audiences remained relatively small, Luntz said. "It really fits in with the programming that we're doing. Her films are very experimental in nature."

Luntz said the most successful film turnout in her one year with the museum was the screening of the controversial Tongues Untied. The film, made by Marion Riggs, deals with black gay male identity, Luntz said.

"Channel 8 and a number of stations around the country chose not to air it because they felt it was not appropriate," she said.

Luntz said because of the publicity of KUHT-Channel 8's decision, the museum received a number of calls for and against the showing.

If students wish to catch future features of the film board, they can be put on a mailing list by calling 639-7530. Admission is $4 for the general public and $3 for students.

For other museum benefits, the museum offers a $25 membership for students, which includes free admission to the museum, a calendar of events and invitations to opening-night parties for exhibitions.

Museum Spokesman Ken Soh said of the 29,000 museum memberships, 650 are students.

Hawes said he strongly encourages his students to become museum members. He said students have the cultural advantage of seeing exhibits on opening night as well as networking with others.

ASSAULT VICTIM, POLICE TELL DIFFERENT TALES

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

UH Police disagree with parts of Jason Lynch's account of their handling of his assault early Saturday morning.

Lynch, a freshman pre-med major, said UHPD officers drove him around campus for an hour in an attempt to find his assailant, despite his requests to go to the hospital for the still-bleeding wounds he received during the attack.

Lynch told UHPD he had been knifed early Saturday morning while looking for a friend who had left the Sigma Nu party the two had been attending.

UHPD Lt. Helia Durant, one of the first officers on the scene, said by the time the paramedics had attended Lynch's wounds, the bleeding had stopped and his wounds stabilized.

The officer said the first trip in the squad car was to establish exactly where the attack occurred so the area could be screened for evidence.

Durant said Lynch made no requests to go to the hospital.

At the time, Lynch also had trouble remembering how the attack happened and what type of weapon was used, Durant said.

Lynch said this was due to going into shock after the attack. However, Durant, who is trained in first aid, said Lynch showed no signs of going into shock.

Durant said an officer took Lynch for a second squad-car ride to see if he would recognize his attacker at one of two parties going on that night where police had been told disturbances had occurred.

Durant said Lynch told the officers he had been at the Sigma Nu party. However, Lynch told The Daily Cougar he had been attending the Delta Upsilon party.

Durant said no blood was found after a search of the crime scene, but police are still investigating.

Police are also hoping to locate an unidentified female who passed Lynch while he was with police and spoke to him, saying she had seen him at one of the parties earlier with his arms already showing signs of abuse.

"I have no reason to doubt what he says occurred. I just need to figure out where and how it occurred," Durant said.

UNIVERSITY PLANS AMBUSH ON SACRED SQUIRREL LANDS

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

It's one of the hottest environmental battles in America's history, and one of the most media-blitzed stories in Arizona -- and after nearly a decade, it just won't go away.

The politically powerful University of Arizona, in partnership with the Vatican and Germany's Max Planck Institute, has raised the ire of conservation groups by beginning construction on a $200 million astronomy center on one of several peaks of Mount Graham, near the university.

Emerald Peak, which is the home of the last few hundred Mount Graham red squirrels in existence and is a sacred religious spot for Western Apache Native Americans, has become such an issue that it has caused splits between neighbors and associates throughout the state.

The controversial project, frought with charges of complicity, corruption and willful destruction of endangered species, would mean the university and partners would construct seven telescopes on 24 acres in the midst of the southernmost spruce forest on the continent.

The outcry against the project was heard around the world. There were demonstrations in St. Peter's Square, congressional hearings and lawsuits. The Smithsonian Institute, an original partner in the project, dropped out under intense pressure from demonstrators in Washington. Other partners have withdrawn from the project as well.

"The university could show humility and return to the community with respect by admitting they made a mistake," said Robin Silver, a Phoenix surgeon and leader of the fight against the university.

Silver said last year there were 30 arrests, mostly people chaining themselves to the entrance gates, in connection with the project.

"The University of Arizona cares more about convenience than they care about law or human rights," Silver said. "This is a world-reknowned outdoor classroom. There is not a mountain with more life zones in such a compact area as Mount Graham."

In August, the Apache Survival Coalition, an organization led by Apache medicine men and women and supporters, filed a lawsuit against the U.S. Forest Service. The action alleges the Forest Service granted a permit to the Arizona Board of Regents and the University of Arizona that was unconstitutional.

University officials, however, say they wish to cooperate with the Native Americans, though a specific meeting date has not been established. "We are trying to meet with leaders of the tribe to find out about their concerns and see if we can work them out," said Steve Emerine, associate director of public information.

Emerine said the university plans to build the first three telescopes on 8.6 acres of land. Upon completion, the U.S. Fish and Wildlilfe Service will study the effects of construction on the red squirrel and other endangered species on the mountain.

"We had many more demonstrations in 1990, a lot fewer this year. I think the opposition is vocal, but small. Many of the people who were concerned several years ago have moved on to other causes, like the spotted owls and the forests," he said.

NIRVANA, MARY'S DANISH ROCK THE VAT

BY JENNIFER SORUFKA

Imagine a cageless zoo, emptied out onto Washington Street, lined up waiting impatiently to be fed. Last Sunday night, a cross section of the food chain mulled anxiously, pressed within the confined walls of the Vatican -- and it was fed by Nirvana.

Originally from Washington, the band began by playing underground punk shows in Tacoma but grew rapidly after their first release, Love Buzz/Big Cheese. Now, two albums and three drummers later, they are selling out nearly every gig and leaving crowds begging for more.

Nirvana describes their music as hard-rock riffing with punk rock energy -- and energy is right. It is this energy that filled the Vatican and left it with sweat dripping from its walls.

Sister Double Happiness was sent out to appease the crowd until Nirvana could grace the stage. Their stocky lead singer, Gary Floyd, looked like he had just stepped off of a Harley and onto the stage. Though he seemed an unlikely candidate for a rock singer, he definitely had it in him, for he had the crowd responding within minutes.

The band was formed more than five years ago, and now two albums later, they are getting well deserved exposure by opening for Nirvana.

"Nirvana has been good for us," commented female drummer Lynn Perko.

She added the exposure was invaluable, and the tour itself was a great experience.

Sister Double Happiness' rough style was ideal for the Nirvana hungry crowd, although the crowd remained fairly inactive. Even the on-stage security got to sit and enjoy the show rather than having to fight to keep the stage clear.

They didn't get to relax for long.

The instant Nirvana stepped on stage and the animals went wild. Their music had so much energy that their often nonsensical lyrics, their refusal to use stage gimmicks, their insistence on just playing didn't matter. Possibly as a sign of devotion to their music, they didn't even sell shirts at the show.

They were the simplest of bands, right down to their boxers, and the members could easily have been mistaken for someone from the crowd. They were just excellent, down to earth musicians -- the bass player, Chris Novoselic, didn't even bother to wear shoes.

Simple they may have been, but they could jam. With the onset of "Smells like Teen Spirit," the inevitable pit grew to encompass the entire floor. Even the tamest of the animals was compelled to dance to the voice of their Pied Piper, lead singer/guitarist Kurt Cobain.

As the first calm notes of "Polly" were heard, the crowd was instantly tamed, and began to sing along so loud that they cold be heard over the PA. Then with the first notes of "Breed," the drummer managed to bust his snare with enthusiastic pounding and the crowd again became a pit of devouring animals, thrashing and pushing their way onto the stage.

This shifting of the intensity in the pit occured countless times during the night as the band moved from as close as they get to a ballad to the grinding of guitars. The frenzy reached a climax as the band left the stage, the crowd begging for more.

Nirvana returned with renewed vigor, and finished off the night with the animals begging for just one more morsel.

Monday night, the animals were not so apt to feed with Mary's Danish. In fact, the animals were no where to be found. The meager showing could hardly be called more than a collection of Bambis and Thumpers who were die-hard Mary's Danish fans.

Carnival Art opened, and their energetic lead singer, Michael P. Tak, tried to get what little crowd there was into the musical frenzy on stage.

Their style, which has been described as having a sort of Pixies sound with a little R.E.M., Replacements and Men Without Hats all stirred in together, but it didn't have the effect on the crowd they were used to.

The other band members did their best to come to Michael's aid, throwing out wave after wave of heart-throbbing guitar licks and drum beats, but the crowd still responded with no more than a gentle bob to the beat.

Then it was Mary's Danish' turn to try and pump some life off of the stage, and even their motley crew could not succeed.

And quite a crew they were. The band was headed by two women who were as opposite as they come.

The first was Julie Ritter, brunette, long-locked and alto, with a voice so harmonic it could woo Charley Manson to goo. Gretchen Seager, Julie's other half, was blond, short-haired and soprano. Oh, so soprano.

As a blend, they had a sweet melodic sound, but Gretchen on her own was like fingernails on a chalkboard. The women kept themselves busy with various toys like tambourines and cow bells, and Julie even ventured a few guitar licks and a stint on the keyboard.

Their bass player, simply named Wag, looked like Cousin It's cousin. Long on long locks and more than meeting the standard rock `n' roll quota for hair, he blistered the bass with wicked fingerwork, pumping his head the whole time.

Mary's Danish also sported two excellent lead guitarists, David King and Louis Gutierrez, whose individual styles managed to blend as well as the women's did. They were backed by the artistry of James Bradley, Jr., on the drums, who was the metronome for the shabby bobbing of the crowd.