ANDERSON FIELD GOAL BREAKS RECORD

Houston placekicker Roman Anderson's first kick of Saturday's game sent him spiraling into the UH and NCAA recordbooks.

Anderson's 53-yard field goal in the second quarter gave him his 397th career point, making him the leading scorer in college football history.

Indiana's Anthony Thompson held the record of 394 points from 1986-89.

The field goal was also the longest in Cougar history, with the old record of 51 yards having been set on three different occasions -- once by Anderson.

*******************************************************

UH STUDENTS SHOW LITTLE INTEREST IN VOLUNTEERING

BY REBECCA LEE

SPECIAL TO THE COUGAR

While the flame of volunteerism is sweeping across university campuses nationwide, the sparks to ignite a similar spirit at UH are catching the interest of only a small number of students.

The UH Metropolitan Volunteer Program is part of a nationwide effort on about 100 campuses to allow students to get involved with issues around their city. This program, called Into the Streets, is meeting with success at other schools, but is slow in getting off the ground at UH.

"Response has been, well, low," said Kim Lopez, assistant director of the MVP program.

A table set up at the UC Satellite last Tuesday to enlist volunteers for Into the Streets attracted only two students, Lopez said.

"The students were there, but they don't look for such information. It's really hard because UH is such a commuter school. People have jobs and disappear right after classes," she said.

Lopez said MVP is enlisting students for different events to be held on Saturday, Nov. 2. Students can help with issues like homelessness, literacy, and the environment.

One recruitment success MVP has had is with a pre-optometry society, which has volunteered to work with the blind.

"This is what we were looking for as we are interested in vision," said Jennifer Cheek, president of the Pre-Optometry Professional Society.

"This volunteer program is related to our field. By helping blind people, we can get hands-on experience," said Cheek, a pre-optometry senior.

Cheek said she believes students could find a volunteer opportunity tailored for them if they were willing to look.

But business senior Mark Hur said the attitude toward volunteerism depends on a student's major.

"Business majors, for example, don't view volunteering as a direct way to help their careers," Hur said.

Hur added that the atmosphere on campus is also not conducive to getting students into the volunteering spirit.

"Students here are not as socially aware than on other campuses," Hur said. "They go to classes, spend a couple hours at the library, then take off."

Lloyd Jacobson, director of MVP, said students may not realize the professional community encourages those they hire to become active in social issues.

"It gives you a way to network and opens the door to skills and experience that are essential to the workplace," Jacobson said.

The pace of life has quickened in the '90s and everybody thinks they don't have the time to volunteer, Jacobson said.

"But students have concerns about the society we live in and we are trying to show them they can act on those concerns as volunteers in the community."

Interested volunteers should call MVP at 749-2972.

VOLLEYBALL NOTEBOOK

BY MARTY HAJOVSKY

It's been said often this season that the UH volleyballers are a tough team but fold when the pressure's on.

Well, the tough got going on a ghoulish Saturday in Waco as the Cougars came from behind to sting Baylor 3-1.

Down 10-3 in the third game of a tied match, the Cougar netters exploded for a 28-7 run, handing the Bears their sixth conference loss in seven tries. It was a perfect ending to a strange evening.

Halloween is still a few days away, but early on the dark clouds were gathering in the North Texas plain.

The weirdness began as the team arrived at Waco's Ferrell Center only to find that Barbara Mandrell concert had been scheduled instead.

A half-hour later, the Cougars found their way to tiny Marrs-McLean Gymnasium, a Baylor intramural facility, only to discover it locked with nobody in sight. And as if to reinforce the point, it started to rain.

Luckily, Bear Coach Tom Sonnichsen showed up soon thereafter armed with apologies, his team and, most important, the keys to the gym.

With that settled, the netters turned the tricks into treats, coasting to an easy 15-6 victory in the first game. However, Marrs-McLean turned up some haunts of its own as the Jekyll-and-Hyde Cougars lost their focus in game two, hitting an anemic .148 and falling 16-14.

But down by seven points in the crucial game three, seniors Ginger "Bread" Wittkofski and Karen "Ring That" Bell decided to do a little ghostbusting.

Wittkofski set up a brick wall at the net, finishing with 18 blocks -- the most by any player in an NCAA match this season. And Bell got a few up in her wheelhouse, slamming home 25 kills, good for .389 hitting percentage.

Sophomore Karina Faber also got caught up in the spirit of the day, delivering a masterful .306 hitting performance with nine blocks and three defensive digs.

By this time, the Bears' toils and troubles had boiled away in the brew of the Cougars' fourth conference win in six tries.

Next up is No. 17-ranked Texas Tech Wednesday evening in Hofheinz. The Red Raiders have been known to cast a few spells on the Cougars over the years, most notably a 3-0 sweep in Lubbock earlier this month.

But the UH netters are going to have to exorcise their big game demons to have any chance of reaching the NCAA's. The 15-7, 4-2 Cougars are currently a game behind the second-place Raiders in the Southwest Conference. Tripping Tech would position them for a run at first place Texas on Nov. 12 in Austin.

To make the post-season ball for the first time since 1989, the team will have to take, at least, one from Tech, Nebraska, Colorado and Texas.

It's now or never for the netters. They need to pull at least one magic win from their hats from any of the above four.

If so, they can quote Dr. Frankenstein regarding their tourney hopes, "It's alive! It's alive!"

AGS WELCOME KLINGLER BACK WITH PIECE OF KYLE FIELD

HOUSTON'S WIN STREAK HALTED AT ONE

BY RANDY BAZAN

COLLEGE STATION -- If David Klingler was France, his offensive line on Saturday protected him as poorly as the Maginot Line blocked the Nazis in World War II.

In his first action since the Oct. 12 Arkansas game, Klingler again took a beating as Texas A&M dumped Houston 27-18 in front of 65,812 at Kyle Field. He finished the game 21 of 46 for 230 yards and no touchdowns. He was intercepted three times.

With little time to operate, Klingler was continually swarmed by wave after wave of maroon jerseys as he was sacked 10 times. Backup quarterback Donald Douglas was also sacked once.

"You're looking at the inability to protect the quarterback with their (the Aggies) inside penetrating charges," Head Coach John Jenkins said. "That was the difference in their win. We had receivers running open like we've had so many times."

Klingler refused to blame the line. He said injuries along the line have taken their toll.

"They played as hard as they can play. We've got four guys out that we started the season with," Klingler said.

Aggie inside linebacker Jason Atkinson, who sacked Klingler twice, said he was impressed with Klingler's toughness.

"He absorbed our big hits and would be rolling around on the ground, but he always got up," Atkinson said. "Klingler is an incredible quarterback. He's the best we've played."

Though the Cougar quarterback was harassed more times than Anita Hill, Houston still had a chance to win the ballgame.

Leading 21-3 at halftime, A&M looked like it was going to run away and hide. But the Aggies pulled their patented disappearing act in the second half and allowed Houston back in it.

The third quarter was all Houston. More specifically, it was all superback TiAndre Sanders. He rushed for two touchdowns, one a 64-yarder, and also scored on a two point conversion.

With the Aggies holding on to a 21-18 lead with 4:30 left in the fourth quarter, A&M's redshirt freshman tailback Greg Hill broke a 22-yard run to finish off the Cougars.

Defensively, the Cougars had one of their best efforts of the season though the score or total yards given up don't reflect it. Hill inflicted the most damage, rushing for 160 yards as Houston gave up 357 total yards.

The defense contained Aggie quarterback Bucky Richardson all day, holding him to just five yards rushing and seven of 17 completions for 108 yards. Richardson was also intercepted twice and sacked four times.

"I thought we controlled A&M for the most part on defense," Jenkins said. "They certainly gave us plenty of opportunities to win the game. But we just couldn't get it done on offense."

The Aggies scored on their first possession, driving 77 yards in seven plays. Richardson connected with tight end James McKeehan on a three-yard touchdown pass.

With 54 seconds left in the first quarter, Hill took the ball 24 yards for a touchdown, putting A&M up 14-0.

For most of the second quarter, the Cougar defense held the Aggies in check. Then disaster struck. With 2:22 left in the half, Cougar punt returner Stephen Harris fumbled a punt and A&M recovered at the Houston 5-yard line. On the next play, Aggie running back Keith McAfee carried the ball into the end zone, putting them up 21-0.

Jenkins said the Cougars showed great character by not giving up after the gift touchdown.

"That was one of those plays where you give it to them right on the front porch, down 14-0, then they get another easy score," Jenkins said. "It's real easy for a team to say forget it and throw in the towel. It showed the great character of these Houston Cougars by continuing to battle."

On Houston's next possession, the offense finally started to show signs of life. The Cougars drove 44 yards in nine plays, and got a big lift from the foot of kicker Roman Anderson who launched a 53-yard field goal.

Not only was it the longest field goal in UH history, it gave Anderson the NCAA record for career points. He finished the game with 398 career points.

Houston (2-5, 1-3 in the Southwest Conference) has this week off. The Cougars' next game is against Texas Nov. 9 in the Astrodome.

THOSE WEIRD FAINTING GOATS SPUR CONTROVERSY

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

It sounds odd, but Tennessee fainting goats one day may provide crucial information about muscle diseases in humans.

Just what are fainting goats, and why would university researchers want to study them?

Although myth has it that they faint, the goats really just fall over. Their muscles freeze, causing the ungrateful one to hit the ground sideways. The rest just stand rigid for a few seconds.

According to Tennessee folklore, fainting goats were discovered when a farmer went out to shoot a goat for his dinner and the rest of his herd fell over, too.

Scientists are a bit more skeptical. They've been trying to figure out the real cause of the goats' muscle defect -- called myotonia -- for more than 30 years.

While their quest for information continues, animal rights protesters argue that farmers who raise fainting goats shouldn't be trying to scare them stiff.

In Milllington, Tenn., a Memphis suburb, an annual "Goat Days" festival includes a fainting contest. Prizes are awarded for the goats that go down quickest and the ones that stay down longest.

One animal rights activist told the Associated Press, "They get some goats in a pen and make loud noises trying to make them faint. The goats go into a panic."

The festival-founder's response: "It's very limited what a goat is good for. You either eat him or you look at him."

Several scientists would beg to differ. They aren't just looking at the goats; they're studying their muscles.

And so far, animal rights activists haven't taken their complaints to the researchers' doors just yet.

Primarily as a result of inbreeding, the goats developed a condition that causes delayed relaxation of muscles. The same condition exists in humans in various forms. The ailment most closely related to myotonia is Thomsen's Disease.

Scientist Shirley Bryant of the University of Cincinnati says myotonia is sometimes linked to muscular dystrophy because some myotonic muscles also show signs of dystrophy or weakness.

An example of myotonia (without dystrophy) in humans is shaking someone's hand and not being able to relax your grip for about 20 seconds.

Bryant has studied myotonia in humans and in the goats since 1957. In his years of research he has found that the myotonia in the goats is caused by an inability of the muscle fibers' membrane to absorb chloride.

This lack of chloride causes the muscle to become extremely sensitive to electrical charges. Overstimulation leads to repeated firing by the muscle.

So, Bryant says, the fainting goats fall over because a sudden stimuli, like a loud noise, causes the muscles to receive a charge, but that the charge continues for a prolonged period of time. The muscles don't immediately relax.

All of this information has led researchers to begin studying the genetics of myotonia in goats, humans and mice (in Germany, where the little myotonic creatures are again the result of inbreeding.)

BERRY TOUTING IDEA OF UH CRIME TASK FORCE

BY STEVE GARRETT

With Houston's festering crime encroaching campus, incidents like the September arrest of law student Kara Tipps for carrying a handgun in her purse may have other UH students wondering what they can do to feel safe.

By setting up a campus crime task force, Students' Association President Michael Berry is hoping students' quandries about their personal safety can be solved.

Berry said he feels strongly about the issue because he has been personally affected by campus crime.

"The reason being is it's been a little over a year now since a good friend of mine was shot on campus," he said.

Berry's friend, Freddy Saucedo, was shot with a .22-caliber pistol in April 1990 near the Quadrangle residence hall. Saucedo recovered from his wound and graduated in the spring of 1991, but the memory remains clearly focused to Berry.

After his friend was shot, Berry said he began talking to students and found they had a lot of isolated crime problems on campus.

"Once you put all those isolated incidents together, you have an aggregate of students who were victimized by crime on this campus," he said.

Berry said his investigation revealed that many campus crimes go unreported, but emphasized that students and the UH Police Department are not to blame.

"I'm not down on our police force. I think for the resources they have they do a wonderful job," he said. "I'm down on our administration for not recognizing the problem and not commiting more resources."

Berry also said he realized that a big reason for the crime problem on campus is because of the surrounding area. Many of the businesses near campus are closed down for good reason, Berry said.

"There are reasons why the grocery stores are boarded-up and have bars on them, and the hair salon on Scott Street has metal bars on it," Berry said. "It's not for looks; this is dangerous part of town."

Another factor that got Berry ininterested in campus crime is that students who attend classes during the day don't realize there is a crime problem. The students who go home at 5 p.m. don't realize how dangerous this campus becomes after dark, he said.

"The problem arises around 8 p.m. or 9 p.m. when there are far fewer students. This place is very poorly lit. There are very few working call boxes anymore -- these are a few of the things we want to address in the Students' Association," he said.

Berry said the first step to organizing a campus crime task force is to discuss the matter with other members of SA.

To that end, Berry said he is organizing a meeting to discuss the issue next week.

BLACK NATIONALISM GOES WAY BACK

DAVIS ELABORATES ON GLOBAL SLAVERY

BY ERICKA SCHICHE

American black nationalism was born in the early 19th century -- sometime before slavery was abolished.

Last week, Pulitzer Prize-winning author David Brion Davis spoke to a UH audience about the historical relationship between the 19th-century black colonization movement and its contributions to black nationalism.

The Sterling Professor of history at Yale University read from his paper titled "Exodus, Black Colonization, and Promised Lands."

"I'm interested particularly in the way people responded to slavery and conceptualized slavery and emancipation," Davis said in an exclusive interview following his reading.

"I'm not studying the way the institution of slavery worked, but I have to know something about the slavery that existed not only in the South, but in the West Indies and Brazil. Studying (slavery in its global context) requires a knowledge of comparative slavery."

Davis, a recipient of a B.A. degree from Dartmouth College and a Ph.D. from Harvard University, has taught at Oxford University, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales in Paris, and Cornell University.

His body of written work includes Homicide in American Fiction, The Problem of Slavery in Western Culture, The Problem of Slavery in the Age of Revolution, Slavery and Human Progress and Revolutions: Reflections on American Equality and Foreign Liberations.

Davis compared the mass exodus of the Jewish people from Egypt to the 19th-century migration of blacks to Liberia.

"From the pre-Civil decades to the 1890s, when few blacks had even seen a Jew, Frederick Douglass (a respected black abolitionist and scholar) drew the comparison and spoke of that parallel," he said. Davis said Douglass encouraged blacks to be proud of their heritage and achievements, as the Jews of that time were.

"If black nationalism is equated with racial pride, then virtually all of the black speakers and writers (of the mid-to-late 19th century) were black nationalists," said Davis, referring to the movement that is often spoken of in a negative manner.

The black nationalists were wedded to the idea of uplifting their race and fused the concepts of progress and self-help, Davis said.

Davis' paper was taken from one chapter of his forthcoming book titled, The Problem of Slavery in the Age of Emancipation."

Established in 1847 as a constitutional republic, 13,000 blacks fled America to Liberia from 1820 to 1867, which acted as the proving ground for former slaves who wanted to uproot themselves and preserve the cultural and social aspects of the black community, Davis said.

"The numbers of American blacks who immigrated to Liberia is not as significant as the actual colonization movement," Davis said.

Groups of white colonists in the 19th century Americans disseminated misinformation about slaves, which is still having an impact today among black citizens of this country, Davis said.

"By launching a movement that tried to portray America as a white man's country, one of the psychological effects of that movement was to define blacks as people who didn't really belong and who hadn't really contributed," he said. "And this was a damaging effect of the movement,"

The reading, sponsored by the UH Department of History and Honors Program, was followed by a 20-minute question and answer session.

COOGS MISS CHANCE TO PULL OFF UPSET IN COLLEGE STATION

BY MIKE ROSEN

COLLEGE STATION -- The Cougars tried desperately to break free of the shackles binding their ankles, but fundamental mistakes and inopportune penalties prevented them from pulling a miracle out of Kyle Field.

The nine infractions for 91 yards amounted to less than half of last week's total during a win over SMU, but the consequences cost Houston its third Southwest Conference loss and any title hopes.

After giving up a 24-yard touchdown run to A&M tailback Greg Hill in the first quarter, Houston's defense held Texas A&M at bay most of the afternoon.

The Run and Shoot meantime stalled in the early going with a flat David Klingler coming off two weeks rest and a second possession fumble by Ostell Miles.

With 2:28 left until halftime, the Cougars once again stopped an Aggie drive, forcing one of their eight punts on the afternoon.

But Cougar kick returner Steve Harris misjudged the ball and fumbled it inside his own 10. The Aggies recovered on the five and one play later cashed it in for a 21-0 lead.

"It was quite frustrating at times," said UH linebacker Tyrone Davis, who led the team in tackles. "Anytime any adversity happens like that concerning the offense, the defensive guys have to block it out and say `look, the offense is playing a separate type of game and we're playing our type of game, and we have to keep on going with it."'

Klingler shook off the rust in the third quarter and led the Cougars downfield on two scoring drives and one fiasco.

The touchdowns brought Houston to within a field goal heading into the final stanza, but the fiasco typified the 1991 season, putting the Cougars in punt formation instead of in the endzone with a go-ahead score.

After driving 60 yards midway through the third, Houston set up shop with a first down at the A&M 20, at least well within Roman Anderson's field goal range for a game-tying score.

By the end of the ensuing series of downs, Charlie Langston was punting from inside his own 40.

The second play of the drive did most of the damage. After TiAndre Sanders was stopped for no gain on first down, and a five-yard A&M penalty, Klingler completed what looked to be a touchdown pass to John Brown III, but was called back for a holding penalty. The 10-yard infraction and touchdown negation was then inflated by a 15-yard celebration penalty for a touchdown that never happened.

On one series of downs, Houston went from second and five at the 15 to third and 43 at its own 47.

One of 10 Klingler sacks and an incomplete pass to Marcus Grant set up the Langston punt.

One other chance for a Houston touchdown failed less than two minutes before halftime.

The Cougars drove 44 yards to the A&M 36, when Klingler, with time to throw, missed Verlond Brown in the endzone. Brown had beaten the coverage by at least five yards, but Klingler seemed to have been in shock because of the amount of time he had to throw.

The Cougars instead settled for the Anderson field goal.

`PRINCE OF DARKNESS' SUIT TO BE HEARD IN JANUARY

DISCRIMINATION SUIT ALLEGES CRIMINAL ACTIVITY IN PHYSICAL PLANT

PLAINTIFF CLAIMS HE GOT DEATH THREATS FROM PLANT BOSS

BY CHRIS PAYNE

The litany of shocking allegations filed by former Physical Plant employee Dana King in his discrimination lawsuit against the university could reach a court date sometime in January 1992, King's attorney, Mary Ann French, said Monday.

King's lawsuit names Paul Postel, manager of building maintenance; Thomas Wray, assistant director of the Physical Plant; Herbert Collier, executive director of the Physical Plant; and Robert Scott, mechanical maintenance foreman, as defendents.

King, 41, was a Physical Plant plumber from 1982 until he was fired on Sept. 25, 1990.

Physical Plant foreman James Mitchell has been dropped as a defendent because allegations against him happened too long ago to satisfy the statute of limitations.

Plaintiff's Second Amended Complaint, filed in May 1990, comprises a plethora of astonishing allegations, including criminal activity, gross occupational harassment and death threats.

In 1985, the court document states, Postel and Mitchell called King, who is a former Harris County Constable, into Mitchell's office and asked him to look up case numbers for stolen items.

When King asked Postel and Mitchell if they had a problem with theft, Mitchell told King the items were not stolen, but taken by he and Postel, the court document states. Mitchell then told King, "He did not know what Postel did with his items but that he (Mitchell) had taken his up to the lake," the court document says.

When King, with his previous law-enforcement experience, refused to look up the case numbers, Mitchell later called him into his office and told him "that he was not playing" and that Postel is the "Prince of Darkness" and "you don't turn him down," the court document states.

In 1985, the complaint says, the UH Police Department began searching for a sewer machine that was missing. When the machine was found in Mitchell's possession, King, at UHPD's request, positively identified the machine, the document states.

No charges were ever brought against Mitchell and all UHPD officers involved the investigation are no longer employed by the university, the complaint states.

King was harassed by Collier, Postel and Wray for his participation in the investigation, the document says, and was forced to work in a "tunnel containing steam-return lines that were wrapped with asbestos" and to work outdoors in the rain with electrical equipment.

When King refused to do the electrical work in the rain, he was fired by Postel, Wray and Collier, the court document claims.

After filing a complaint with the UH Personnel Department in July 1987, King was reinstated on Sept. 2, 1987, the document states.

When contacted by telephone this summer, former UHPD officer Louis DeLeGarza, who was one of the officers that investigated the sewer machine incident, refused to comment on the matter.

"I never want anything to do again with UH," DeLaGarza said. "I have no comment on all that."

When told that The Daily Cougar was only looking for information, De La Garza said, "No, you don't understand at all; I have nothing to say," and promptly hung up.

After his reinstatement, King met with Collier, who told him, "I can take everything you got," and "I know people who can take care of you," the court document states.

King was fired again on Sept. 29, 1990, and was told by Scott that he needed "psychological help for messing with these people again" and that he "was in never-never land now" and that he had "messed with the Prince of Darkness," the court document states.

Sources within the Physical Plant agree that Postel is known as the "Prince of Darkness."

One Physical Plant employee, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said, "I understand he's (Postel) called himself that."

After contacting an attorney, the document states, Collier called King at his home and told him, "I know people who can take care of you," the court document states.

Since the lawsuit was filed, King has received numerous phone threats and his home has burglarized more than once, King's other attorney, Joe Indelicato, Jr., said.

Indelicato and French said they are concerned for their client's safety.

Roy Read, a former Physical Plant foreman at UH from 1971 to 1990, who gave his deposition concerning the lawsuit this summer, refused to comment on the case.

"I still have friends out there (in the Physical Plant) that are going to reap a bitter harvest," Read said.

The Physical Plant, a huge operation with a budget of $18 million and about 400 workers, oversees the university's electrical, plumbing, landscaping and carpentry needs, among other things.

UH is being defended by the state Attorney General Dan Morales' office in the lawsuit.

UH has a policy of not commenting on pending litigation, Assistant University Counsel Nancy Footer said in a previous interview. Footer did indicate, however, that UH is "very vigorously defending this suit."

King's lawsuit asks for more than $1 million in punitive damages and will be heard in U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas in Houston, Judge Kenneth M. Hoyt presiding.

Postel, Scott and Mitchell are scheduled to give their depostions on Wednesday.

CITY COUNCIL HOPEFUL GETS TINY UH WELCOME

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

There were a lot of chairs in the Houston Room of the University Center Monday night when candidate for City Council Annise Parker came to speak -- and most of them were empty.

Eight members of the Gay and Lesbian Students' Association and one member of the UH Students' Association were the only welcome she received.

"Can I cry yet? I just think that this goddamn campus could come together on something for once," GLSA President Adrian Ozuna said.

What was intended to be a fully-attended speech turned out to be a few chairs pulled off the back row for a small, personable discussion.

Parker is running for the District C seat against incumbant Vince Ryan. She is a Rice graduate and has served as chair of the Police Advisory Committee and president of the Houston Gay and Lesbian Political Caucus.

She focused her discussion on three issues: police manpower and Houston's crime wave; monorail and the controversy surrounding the current districting plan that the Nov. 5 city elections are to be held, which has Houston-area Hispanics squawking in outrage.

Various Hispanic groups have vehemently protested the districting plan as giving them unfair representation.

A federal judge approved the interim use of a 9-5-1 plan to allow the election to go ahead as scheduled, but reserved the right to revoke the plan and force elections to be reheld. The plan is also under review by the U.S. Justice Department for compliance with the Federal Voting Rights Act.

Parker said the current interim plan is illegal.

"We made a conscious decision to leave the district I am running for off the literature because we weren't sure which district we would be running in," she said.

On the obligatory crime issue, Parker said one answer might be to get the licensed peace officers working behind desks out patroling Houston streets. She said other staff members could be hired to fill such clerical positions.

Parker said that, until recently, the only way an officer could earn a higher salary was to move off the street and into a management position.

"Basically, the problem is that once they (police) have attained that nice desk job, they don't want to go back out on patrol and get shot at," she said.

Parker said she supports monorail for Houston.

"I'm a big fan of rail. I'm not happy with the current plan, but I think we need it," she said.