LOTTERY BIG WINNER IN TEXAS, SCRATCH-OFF CARDS DUE IN JULY

BY GAYLE WEISS

Houston voters joined those in other parts of the state Tuesday in approving a state lottery by an overwhelming margin.

With 98 percent of the precincts reporting, 70 percent of Harris County voters endorsed the lottery, while 30 percent voted against it.

Across the state, 64 percent of the voters approved the money-making endeavor and 37 percent voted it down.

Robert Mayers, a junior majoring in engineering, said he felt a lottery would help Houston's current financial situation.

"As a whole, the city of Houston is in a major financial rut right now," Mayers said. "A lottery could generate the extra revenue we need to get back on our feet again."

Kathy Winters, a sophomore majoring in business, agrees with Mayers.

"If we can raise enough money through a statewide lottery to help the deficit and the crime situation in Houston, why not give it a shot?" Winters said.

One concern the students seem to have is where the money will go.

Johnathan Hubbs, a freshman majoring in English, feels it is important to find out exactly how the funds collected will be dispersed.

"It's great that we can raise all this money and everything," Hubbs said. "Even so, what if the government decides to spend it in places where it is not really needed?"

Funds will be distributed in the same way for each dollar collected. Of each dollar, 45 cents will go to prizes, 20 cents to lottery administration and 35 cents to the state general revenue fund.

By putting the money into a general revenue fund, the state is able to use the money on a variety of projects, as opposed to a more specific fund.

Stores could be selling scratch-off lottery tickets by July.

*******************************************************

LAW MAN PREFERS RUNOFF WITH `ME, MYSELF AND I'

BY CHRIS PAYNE

As soon as Sylvester Turner announced his candidacy, his chances of defeating Mayor Kathy Whitmire were widely pooh-poohed by Houston-area political pundits, painting him as the quintessential underdog.

But much has transpired since Turner announced -- Bob Lanier notwithstanding. With 98 percent of the returns in late Tuesday, the polls had carved out a 35 percent chunk of the vote for the one-time underdog, pitting him in a runoff against Lanier, who garnered 44 percent.

Whitmire, who was going after an unprecedented sixth term in office, received a surprisingly feeble 20 percent. And now, political analysts are predicting Turner could attract a majority of black voters in the runoff -- once the sole possession of Whitmire -- possibly giving him the edge over Lanier.

Turner and his supporters, however, said they have never doubted his chances, despite past criticisms and the fact that funding for his campaign has been significantly lower than his opponents.

Even as early as 7:30 p.m., before the first mumblings of election results began to filter through his "victory" party at the Sheraton Grand Hotel, Turner still quipped before a hoard of reporters and photographers in his suite, "Have the other two conceded yet?"

"No other campaign has come as far we have in such a short period of time," he said, cameras flashing in his face. "Only last week did things start shifting at a rapid pace. This city needs an energetic, creative and resourceful mayor, and at this point in time, I would be happy for it to be me, Sylvester Turner.

"I would like to end it now," he said, commenting on a then-potential runoff. "But, by chance if we come up a little short, we're willing to do it again.

When asked his preference for a runoff opponent, the 36-year-old Turner said, "If I had to choose, it would be me, myself and I. I think that would be my preference."

Doug Williams, special events coordinator for the Turner campaign, said Turner's success largely lies in his refusal to join in the mud-slinging between Lanier and Whitmire.

"A positive campaign tells all those losing that we want them and need them," Williams said. "That's (mud-slinging) one of the major fallacies of running a successful campaign.'

Williams said criticism that Turner's experience in the Texas Legislature does not qualify him to be mayor of the nation's fourth-largest city is unfounded. He said it is insulting that some of the media endorsed Whitmire and Lanier over Turner, but have praised his work as leader of the Legislature's Harris County delegation.

"That's almost belittling; it assumes he's not ready (to be mayor). He's more than qualified."

PEPE NAMED COMMUNICATOR OF THE YEAR

COMMUNICATIONS ALUMNI PICK PRESIDENTIAL DOC FOR TOP HONOR

LONG-TIME CPR ADVOCATE MAKES HOUSTON'S EMS NATIONAL MODEL

BY JASON LUTHER

Accomplished physician and medical spokesman Dr. Paul Pepe has been named the 1991 Communicator of the Year by the UH Communications Alumni Organization.

Pepe is chief of Houston's Emergency Medical Services, a tenured full-time professor at Baylor Medical School and personal physician to the president and first lady in case of critical illness or injury. He's also a strong advocate of laymen learning the technique of cardio-pulminary resuscitation.

Pepe was modest about receiving the honor.

"I was really surprised and extremely flattered," Pepe said. "I feel like other people deserve it more than me."

Many people would disagree. Pepe's work has had a life-saving impact on countless numbers of lives worldwide.

Pepe has fought hard to implement life-saving programs in the field of pre-hospital emergency care. He helped establish the 911 emergency phone network in Houston and his mission is to assure that every citizen learns how to perform CPR.

"The vision is to improve the `chain of survival,'" Pepe said. "Having the citizens themselves know there's no way a professional rescuer can get to you in time if you have a collapse, that they've got to be part of the system is a major public education issue."

"The public cannot think that helicopters are going to drop out of the sky or that ambulances are just going to be there," Pepe said. "They've got to be part of the system."

Pepe said sudden death is the number one killer of Americans and one of the most treatable forms of death. He said recent indications have shown that quick action by bystanders can make a big difference in saving the life of a heart attack victim.

"Sudden death is unexpected, unanticipated and unheralded," Pepe said. "People just collapse over, and their heart stops beating and they're dead in four minutes. What's exciting is that we have about a 40 percent save rate if a bystander is doing CPR. Six years ago that chance of survival was zero."

Houston's survival rate is one of the highest in the country, and Pepe said the reason is Houston's emphasis on the "chain of survival." Pepe has played a major part in shaping the program. Seven years ago, Pepe initaited mass CPR training in the Astrodome. Now, he is working towards having CPR training become a requirement in schools and mandatory for issuance of a driver's license.

Pepe said even a little CPR training helps, and it is a myth that CPR can damage if not performed precisely.

"Our experience has been that the average citizen has watched this and they've done a great job of doing it. Even if they just see it on TV," Pepe said. "A little bit of CPR, even if not done perfectly, has made a tremendous difference."

Along with working with President Bush on a doctor/patient level, Pepe also helps shape national policy.

"One of the things we're working with the White House staff on now is to see if we can get CPR in the schools on the national level," Pepe said. "They are very open to such a concept."

Pepe said Houston has become a worldwide example in the area of emergency care.

"The Houston Fire Department, which administers the EMS system, is probably the single most important resource for scientific data reflecting resuscitation," Pepe said. "It's extraordinary to think that a city service is providing the medical world with more knowledge about these kinds of life-saving techniques than any other entity."

Pepe said other countries are beginning to show an interest in emmulating the programs in Houston.

"Within the last year, the heads of EMS Systems for the Soviet Union and China, which is one-third of the world's population, have all come here and spent a month with us to learn how we are doing it."

Previous Communicator of the Year award recipients include author Ray Miller and news anchor Ron Stone.

PAGEANT MEANT TO ENHANCE IMAGE OF BLACK MEN AT UH

WINNER SEES HIMSELF AS ROLE MODEL FOR CHILDREN

BY DAVE DAVIS

In an effort to enhance the image of black males on campus, the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority held the first Mr. Black Positive Image Pageant Sunday.

Bobby Bellard, 22, beat out six other contestants for the title.

"The purpose of the pageant is to celebrate young African-American males who have positive ideals and characteristics," said Pam Gordon, president of the sorority.

Bellard received an $800 scholarship and the title of Mr. Black Positive Image 1991-92 after receiving the highest number of votes for overall pageant performance.

Bellard said he was particularly pleased about winning the title because he feels it is a way to have a direct influence on the choices of today's black children.

"This title gives black youth a tangible role model, and it places me in the limelight; therefore, I will place a greater emphasis on acting like a role model," Bellard said.

Bellard's duties as Mr. Black Positive Image include helping the Zeta Phi Beta Sorority with its outreach efforts with organizations like the Star of Hope Mission, the Stork's Nest and other special programs for school-age children.

The pageant consisted of an opening number where contestants sported African attire and presented prepared monologues of their interpretation of the current status of black Americans. In addition, the contestants participated in talent, casual wear, sportswear, formal wear and question and answer segments of competition.

Among the most attention-getting features of the program was the sportswear segment where contestants modeled muscle shirt and biker short emsembles. Contestants then removed their shirts to showcase their physiques to the judges and the audience.

Gordon defended the admission of a swimsuit type segment to the competition because it was a chance for the contestants to showcase personal characteristics outside the realm of academics. Gordon said none of the contestants had any problem with that part of the competition.

"The contestants were more than happy to participate in the sportswear segment, and if they weren't, they would not have been forced to participate," Gordon said.

The competition was open to all interested black males who are currently enrolled at UH. Gordon said many of the contestants responded to advertisements the sorority distributed. However, some of the contestants were directly asked by members of the sorority to enter the pageant.

In addition to Bellard's first-place prize of $800, monetary gifts were awarded to the first, second and third runners-up.

Steve Harvey, a senior majoring in management and information systems, collected $500 for being named the pageant's first runner-up. Darrick Kelley, a senior majoring in business management, was named second runner-up and awarded $300; and Joel Richards, III, a senior majoring in marketing, picked up $150 and the title of third runner-up.

Other pageant contestants who received honorable mention were: Ronald Williams, a senior majoring in industrial engineering; Anthony Taylor, a junior majoring in psychology; and Fred Burford, II, a freshman majoring in chemical engineering.

SA CREATES SISTERSHIP WITH PALESTINIAN INSTITUTE

RESOLUTION OFFERS SENATE SUPPORT TO CLOSED UNIVERSITY

BY ANTON P. MONTANO

Members of the UH Students' Association debated nearly 20 minutes Monday night before deciding to establish a sister relationship with a closed Palestinian university in Israeli-occupied territory.

Some nine senators spoke either in support or disapproval of Senate Resolution 2805 establishing a sistership with Bethlehem University, closed by Israel in January 1988.

The resolution passed in a roll-call vote of 12 in favor, four against and four abstaining.

"The idea is to get the Palestinians their basic right to education," said Sen. Waqass Anwar, sponsor of the resolution.

According to the resolution, more than 17,000 mostly Palestinian students are unable to attend the closed universities in the West Bank and Gaza regions.

"This is purely an academic issue that the vast majority of students of Jewish decent support," said Corey Olomon, an author of the bill.

"This sends a symbolic message to Palestinian students on this campus that we do understand," Olomon said.

Wasfi Layous, a Palestinian graduate student, said the resolution represented a forging of good relations between Palestinian and Jewish students on campus.

"It would be a great help if you passed this resolution," Layous said.

Senators opposed to the resolution said they questioned whether the SA should involve itself with Palestinian and Israeli conflicts.

"I generally think it's inappropriate for us to pass this type of resolution," Sen. Matt Bracy said. "I'd vote against anything that extends beyond the scope of the university.

"I commend the efforts of the Jewish and Palestinian groups in coming together," Bracy said. "I just think this is beyond the scope of the university."

Sen. Kim Lopez said she was unsure how the resolution would directly help Palestinian students.

"I don't see how a sistership relationship would open the university up again," Lopez said.

Olomon said the sistership agreement helps Palestinian students trying to immigrate to the United States.

"The sistership agreements have been interpreted by the Immigration and Naturalization Service and the federal courts to show special circumstances to enter the country," Olomon said.

Senators passed one major stumbling block to the resolution when they accepted Speaker Lee Grooms' proposal to change the legislation from a SA resolution to a Senate resolution.

Grooms said a Senate resolution would show that the SA was only speaking in its own behalf, not on behalf of its constituents.

"There are many nuances of this issue that haven't been touched upon," Grooms said. "I don't even know if our constituency even knows all of the issues, and it would be best in an issue not affecting directly the students that we not claim to speak for them."

SA President Michael Berry said he was urging senators to take a definite stand on the issue.

"It's our obligation to make a statement," Berry said. "Don't vote against something just because you don't think we should deal with it."

After the bill's passage, Lopez said she hoped senators would support the resolution with action.

"I encourage people who supported this bill to get with these Palestinian and Jewish students and affect some change," Lopez said.

In other SA action, senators defeated a resolution urging expansion of student parking on the west side of campus.

The resolution, SAR 28011, was defeated nine to seven with four abstentions.

"Band-Aid solutions don't work in the long haul," Sen. Desiree Wayne said.

Proponents of the bill said the demand for parking spaces required even temporary measures.

"I've heard criticisms that this is a Band-Aid measure," Lopez said. "But parking is something where a Band-Aid solution would work."

Sen. Byron Smith said he questioned the security on the west side of campus.

"I'm not willing to park close to Scott Street, and I'm not sure my constituency is willing to either," Smith said.

Olomon, author of the SAR 28011, said security wouldn't be a problem.

"The 300 spaces would be accessible and relatively safe since they would be close to the existing parking lots," Olomon said.

Sen. Lloyd Jacobson said senators needed to remember there were also parking problems on the north side of campus.

"We've been constantly talking about the west side when there are plenty of students illegally parking across Elgin," Jacobsen said.

COLLEGES' SUIT SEEKING TO EXCLUDE POLICE FILES

FREE SPEECH VERSUS BUCKLEY PROVISIONS

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

Student journalists' frustration with campus police departments' withholding crime information in compliance with the Buckley Amendment has reached the federal courts in an official complaint.

On Oct. 10, two journalists at the University of Tennessee, one at Colorado State University and the Student Press Law Center jointly filed the suit in Washington, D.C., claiming their First and Fifth Amendment rights have been violated by the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, commonly called FERPA or the Buckley Amendment.

Buckley guidelines prohibit the release of any student records, including police records from which students might be identified. Schools violating the law by releasing such information face the loss of federal funding.

Student journalists and campus law enforcement administrators agree with the interpretation of the law.

"We are hoping the (Department of Education) will clarify the difference between student records and police records. Under the Buckley Amendment we can't even share our information with other law enforcement agencies," said Roger Serra, president of the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators and the University of Washington's police chief. "We are very much in favor of changing the law."

Until it does change, the Student Press Law Center wants to stop the government from penalizing schools violating the Buckley Amendment.

"Our whole point is to get an injunction against the Department of Education so they cannot continue to withhold funds from schools that disclose crime records to the press," said Mike Hiestand, an attorney with the Student Press Law Center.

Hiestand said the law center's suit is based on the recent decision in the Missouri case Bauer vs. Kincaid where a judge found that Southwest Missouri State University's refusal to release campus police records was a violation of the First and Fifth Amendment rights of the student who brought the suit against the school.

Because it was a state and not a federal ruling, however, the Department of Education is still interpreting the Buckley Amendment to include campus police records. That interpretation is the reason the Student Press Law Center filed its suit in federal court.

Just recently the Department of Education has publicly stated it agrees that its interpretation of the law to include police records might be faulty.

"We are working with Congress to get the law changed," said Etta Fielek, a department spokeswoman.

The Department of Education has introduced a bill allowing the release of campus police records in states with open records laws. In states where no open records laws exist, the decision on whether or not to release the reports rests in the hands of school presidents.

Fielek said the Department of Education is not in support of a similar amendment that Sen. Tim Wirth, D-Col., has attached to the Violent Crime Control Act of 1991.

Wirth's proposed amendment would get rid of the conflict by eliminating the withholding of campus police records altogether.

"Really, it's a question of public safety," he said when he announced the proposed amendment in June. "With the growth of campus crime, this is no time for the federal government to prevent students and campus communities from knowing about criminal activity at the state schools."

Fielek said the Department of Education does not support Wirth's amendment because "it doesn't provide contingencies like ours does."

Both pieces of legislation are pending.

In the suit filed by the student journalists and the Student Press Law Center, the complaint doesn't center around conflicts between state and federal law and does not seek a congressional resolution to the problem -- the students chose to take legal action because they say their constitutional rights are being violated.

LOSERS OFFER ADVICE ON CRIME, MONORAIL

BY JEFF FULLER

Although the focus is on the winners of Houston's city council positions, the ideas of those who lost could also prove important to the city's future.

The defeated candidates also had viable solutions for Houston's crime and transportation problems.

Some of the city council races pitted incumbents against a number of candidates.

District A, located in the Northwest Houston, placed Larry McKaskle against three contenders. Stanley T. Casey, a 47-year-old businessman, was one of the contenders that had different views than McKaskle. Casey said the civilian reserve force McKaskle proposed was an inadequate solution to the city's crime problems.

"A better-educated police force should be placed first on the agenda,"Casey said.

Casey said his ideas are supported by many residents in District A. Casey urged McKaskle to listen more closely to the views of his constituents.

McKaskle faces a runoff with Helen Huey.

In the District B race, Houston Police Officer Albert Coleman took on incumbent Ernest B. McGowen, Sr. Coleman's views also differ from those of the incumbent in his district.

Coleman believes crime and empty buildings are a major "eyesore" to the city. He said well-maintained areas would be less prone to crime.

McGowen focused on unemployment as the most critical concern for his district.

On the city's southwest lies District F. This race pitted 12-year incumbent John G. Goodner against three other candidates. One of Goodner's challengers was engineer Philip Pennington. Both candidates agreed the city should put more emphasis on the mass transportation issue -- but disagreed what to target.

Pennington said, "If more people would carpool and use better judgment until the city worked out this problem, they would be doing this for a long time."

Pennington said the environment will become more of an issue in the city because of his candidacy.

District I put incumbent Ben Reyes against William Morris. This district includes Houston's east end, where many blue-collar and hispanic families live.

On the issue of mass transportation, the two candidates disagreed. Reyes, the lone hispanic on the council, believes in a mass transit system serving a maximum number of major destination points and connecting these points with a rail system.

Morris disagreed, saying he feels major reconstruction of the city's roadways should take priority before the focus is changed to a rail system.

"I believe resurfacing existing road problems need to be done before we even consider a rail system," Morris said.

In the citywide election for At-Large Position 1, eight contenders battled it out against incumbent Beverly Clark. Clark is the councilwoman who drafted the city's new afternoon curfew law.

Sylvia Ayers, one of Clark's opponents, said patrol officers need to be increased.

Ayers said police need to be out on the streets preventing crimes. Police visibility will reduce the number of crimes committed.

All the challengers hope those elected will consider implementing their ideas.

MAYOR OUSTED IN CRUSHING ELECTION DEBACLE

HOUSTON BEGINS NEW ERA AS WHITMIRE PLACES DISTANT THIRD

SUPPORTERS LEAVE HEADQUARTERS IN TEARS AFTER BEING SURPRISED BY DISMAL LOSS

BY DAI HUYNH

Five-time Mayor Kathy Whitmire was derailed Tuesday night by Bob Lanier and Sylvester Turner.

At what Whitmire hoped to be her victory bash, supporters solemnly digested the election results that showed she came in a distant third to her two challengers.

Appearing in front of supporters, Whitmire said she guessed voters took her endorsement of the term-limitation proposition to heart.

Whitmire choked back tears as she concluded a short farewell address, thanking her supporters for allowing her the opportunity to serve as Houston's mayor for the last decade.

"All the work that we have had a chance to do together is best because we love the City of Houston, and we can take special pride, all of us, in the accomplishments during this last 10 years," Whitmire said.

Whitmire's primary campaign issues included Houston's ascending crime rate and the controversial monorail issue, which failed to attract voter support.

Instead of strengthening her position, Whitmire's consecutive years in office became her Achilles' heel.

Accusations of not recruiting enough police officers and favoring only campaign supporters with sought-after city contracts fanned a slew of anti-incumbent sentiments against the mayor.

Adding to her woes was the lack of support from City Council members. Councilman John Goodner, one of Whitmire's ardent endorsers in past elections, and Councilman Ben Reyes packed their bags and headed to the Lanier camp.

Goodner charged Whitmire with dodging several controversial City Hall issues, including term limitation and increased Hispanic representation on the council.

As the gathering began to disperse, several of Whitmire's staff members broke down in tears when they realized her decade reign had truly ended.

Lorie Arnett, Whitmire's assistant director of communication, said disappointment is the only word to describe the staff's reaction to the mayor's loss.

Despite Whitmire's dismal showings in the polls as Election Day drew closer, the defeat was unexpected, she said.

The mayor's future plans are unclear at this time, but no matter what she decides to do, whether it is in the private sector or in public office, she has the capabilities to succeed, Arnett said.

Whitmire's bash resembled a wake, consisting of supporters paying their last respects to a mayor some described as "the best thing that happened to Houston."

"It's disappointing. She's losing by a lot. I didn't expect it to be like this," said Mark Cantu, who has been a Whitmire supporter during the past decade. "Still, she's great and she has done wonderful things for Houston. I wanted to show her my support."

Gus Garza, a UH-Downtown sophomore majoring in accounting, said it was easier to relate to Whitmire than the other two candidates.

"She's not a rich person. She understands the middle class and she works with the poor," Garza said.

Garza said he shifted his support to Whitmire mainly because she was the only candidate not afraid to crusade for the homosexual community.

LANIER AND TURNER HEADED FOR ROUND TWO

BUSINESSMAN, LEGISLATOR IN RUNOFF FOR HOTLY-CONTESTED SEAT

EX-METRO LEADER WENT IN AHEAD, COMES OUT ON TOP

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

An old adage about the taste of revenge comes to mind when viewing the festivities at the Bob Lanier election celebration.

Two short years after resigning as Metro chairman in the wake of a monorail feud with Mayor Kathy Whitmire, Lanier mounted the stage last night, shaking his fist in victory.

Lanier began his speech at 10 p.m., saying the voters had spoken and that they want "action now" on crime, mass transit and education.

"They want a business-like approach, not a political approach and excuses.

"This shows the voters are interested in crime, education and neighborhoods," he said.

Around 10:15 p.m., Whitmire conceded.

In the end, Lanier came out with 44 percent of the vote, with Sylvester Turner coming in second with 35 percent and Whitmire pulling up the rear with 20 percent.

The confidence, which had permeated the 500-plus crowd all evening, bore itself out.

Talk had been about victory in the runoff -- if not outright victory in the actual election -- and the "end of the Whitmire-era."

Lanier himself was surprised at his showing and not quite as sure of the outcome.

"It looks like a runoff. I expect a runoff and I expect it to be tough and close," he said. "I'm suprised we've done this well."

Lanier attributed his success to the large amount of support he received, not only from white voters, but also from Asian and Hispanic communities. He conceded he did not do well with the black community "due to the presence of a very attractive black candidate."

During his speech, Lanier vindicated the old Metro frustrations, which had caused him to resign his position as chairman. He reiterated his campaign promise to take money from the monorail plan and use it for more police, better streets and more sidewalks.

However, Lanier did not take the opportunity to openly attack his former boss. Instead, he praised Whitmire for her service to Houston as did others in the crowd of prominent Texans drawn to the celebration.

"I am proud of the other candidates for their integrity and for sticking to the issues," he said.

Former state Governors Mark White and John Connally were on hand to help celebrate.

"He (Lanier) is a man of action change and leadership. He will give Houston safe streets and good roads. He knows what to do," White said.

"Kathy Whitmire has been a mayor who has fulfilled the city's needs for a number of years. She can be proud of what she has accomplished. I don't think people are mad at Kathy. I think people are just ready for a change," White said.

White said he fully believed in Lanier's ability to come through with his promise of 655 new officers on the street within 90 days of taking office.

"He can do it. Bob will get that done in 30 days," he said.

In closing his speech Lanier said, "I feel like I've spent a lifetime preparing my skills for this job and I want it so bad I can taste it."

His last words from the podium were, "Let the future begin."

COUNCIL'S MONORAIL IDEAS WON'T BE MUCH AFFECTED

INCUMBENT VICTORIES LEAVE OLD PHILOSOPHIES IN PLACE

BY JAN GOSWICK

Election Day is past, but Houston City Council still has most of the same old faces and the same old ideas about mass transit and the controversial rail plan.

The former City Council was strongly pro-rail with only one member, Frank Mancuso, District E, vigorously opposing it. The remaining council members either took no strong position on the issue of were divided in their support for the pro-posed rail system versus an alternative one.

The election seems to have added only one other opponent -- if Helen Huey wins the runoff election against incumbent Larry McKaskle for District A.

Jim Greenwood, At-Large Position 3, supported a rail system linking "urban villages" to employment centers.

"Future mobility needs cannot be met responsibly with more freeway lanes and automobiles alone," he said.

Sheila Jackson Lee, At-Large Position 4, agreed, saying improving bus service to major work sites and a regional plan for the entire city will ease the city's mass transit problem.

Voter input concerning the rail system was an issue with several council members. Vince Ryan, District C, said a community consensus is a must and supports another referendum.

Although he opposed a rail system, Mancuso said citizens should have been allowed to vote "whether we spend a billion dollars on a monorail system."

The rail issue influenced many students when they went to the polls. "It definitely made a difference. I'm against the rail," said Dority Emerson, a senior majoring in psychology.

"It is an issue for me but not a major one," said junior Kelly Kansas. "I'd rather have the money spent on something else."

Senior Jill Martin agreed, saying, "The monorail is a real issue for me. It helped me decide who to vote for."