COUGAR CLIPS

Showtime

The time for the Houston-Texas game has been changed because of television coverage. Kickoff will be at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday at the Astrodome.

Last time

Texas trounced No. 3 Houston's hopes of a national title last year with a 45-24 win at Memorial Stadium in Austin.

Red hot hoops

The Houston Cougars basketball team open the season with an exhibition game against Eastside Melbourne on Sunday Nov. 10 at 2 p.m. in Hofheniz Pavilion.

Cougar forward Craig Upchurch was voted pre-season Southwest Conference Player of the Year.

Head Coach Pat Foster's club was picked by the media as pre-season favorite to win the conference.

Century mark

Slot receiver Freddie Gilbert is on a pace to catch 100 passes this season. The junior from Huntsville is averaging 9.3 catches a game. He could become only the sixth player in NCAA Division I-A history to catch 100 or more passes in a season.

Three of the current list are Cougars, Manny Hazard, 142 in 1989; Jason Phillips, 108 in 1988 and James Dixon, 102 in 1988.

The other two are Howard Twilley of Tulsa, 134 in 1965 and David Williams of Illinois, 101 in 1964.

Injury report

Center Kevin Bleier, surgery for infected boil on leg, is questionable. Left tackle John Morris, recovering from a knee injury, is questionable. Right guard Greg Whitty, recovering from knee surgery, is questionable. Cornerback Jerry Parks, deep leg bruise, is doubtful. Free safety Darren Woods, broken ankle, is out.

Road trip

Next week the Cougars will take the long trek across town to play the Rice Owls at Rice Stadium for the Bayou Bucket.

All-Star candidate

Texas A&M is trying to hype quarterback Bucky Richardson for the Heisman Trophy. The Aggies' Sports Information Department is sending a flier on what people are saying about Richardson.

Here's a sample:

"Richardson... may be the best competitor this league has ever seen," writes Kirk Bohls of the Austin American Statesman.

It says a lot about the SWC.

And a lot about the Austin American Statesman.

However, Daily Cougar reporter Randy Bazan agrees that Richardson is brilliant. We are considering terminating Bazan's contract.

*******************************************************

UH NETTERS LOSE THREE STRAIGHT, POST-SEASON HOPES UP IN FLAMES

VOLLEYBALL NOTEBOOK

MARTY HAJOVSKY

It was a dark and stormy week.

Eight days ago, it all seemed so bright. The UH netters stood at 15-7 with a 4-2 Southwest Conference record. With confidence-securing wins over Rice and Baylor, the netters were entering a three-game stretch against highly ranked teams. No. 17 Texas Tech, No. 10 Nebraska and No. 16 Colorado.

It appeared to Cougar Head Coach Bill Walton that his team had finally taken its game to the next level and here was the perfect test to see how far they could ride the wave.

As it turned out, it wasn't far. The crest fell three-and-half games going into Oct. 30 game against Texas Tech. Leading in games 2-1 and serving with a commanding 14-12 lead in game four, the Cougars wiped out.

Tech justified their ranking by putting together a stifling, body-flying defensive effort they hadn't shown all night and rallied to take both games four and five to sprint past the bedazzled Cougars.

"As the game got closer to the end, they (Tech) played bloodthirsty defense. We had more defensive digs, more blocks, more kills and we still lost," Walton said. "We were playing well and we just relaxed and no one picked up the slack."

To make matters worse, Texas, which held a two-game conference lead over Tech (three in front of UH) on Oct. 30, lost to A&M for the Horns' first conference loss since 1984.

The sound you may have heard in the night was the Cougars' conference hopes not-so-slowly lowered into an open grave.

As the conference hopes went, so might their invitation to the NCAA ball in December as the week from hell continued with two convincing losses to Nebraska and Colorado in Austin last weekend.

Friday night Nov. 1, 564 people saw UH hit a collective .148 against the Cornhuskers in a 3-0 sweep.

No Cougar had double figures in kills. Only one had doubles in defensive digs. Usually reliable Karen Bell delivered a .194 hitting percentage. Karina Faber hit four for 20. Four-for-20 for someone who could be the best player in the conference.

Halloween was supposed to be over last Thursday. Who was this team?

As one observer noticed, after the Tech loss the Cougars were just expecting to lose.

The one bright spot came on Saturday as they jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead on Colorado, hitting .372. Faber rebounded with a 21 for 54, two block match.

The tunnel emerged at the end of the light, as the Buffaloes shut out Houston in game two 15-0. By that time, the Cougars' spirit was gone, and their NCAA hopes might have as well.

`NATURAL WAY' MAY HELP YOU FACE RISING CRIME RATE IN CITY

BY MICHICA GUILLORY

Weapons and acrobatics demonstrations, fending off imaginary opponents and sparring are all parts of the 30th annual Cha Yon Ryu Martial Arts Festival to be held at 9 a.m. this Saturday at UH's Robertson Field House.

"The festival is a family reunion of students of the Cha Yon Ryu martal arts form," said Grandmaster Kim Soo, Cha Yon Ryu founder. Some will travel from places as far as Saudi Arabia to attend the festival.

Guest Grandmasters will also attend the festival. Grandmaster Hong, Grandmaster Kim's senior, will travel from Seoul, Korea to be there. Grandmaster Jack Hwang of Oklahoma City and Grandmaster Henry Cho from New York, both pioneers of American martial arts, are also expected.

Grandmaster Kim Soo's wide geographical range of students comes from all the schools he has established since he first came to Houston 24 years ago. He has schools in 10 states including Texas, which is home for 11 schools. Grandmaster Kim also has schools in Mexico to teach his special form of martial arts.

Students attending the festival will compete for medals in sparring, hyungs and demonstrations divisions. "We aren't giving trophies this time becuase the students say they are too much to carry around during the festival," Gradmaster Kim said.

Sparring is a sort of controlling boxing match. Competitors score according to a three-point system during two-minute rounds. A point is scored for a controlled kick, punch or strike to the body or shoulder. A point is also scored for a controlled kick to the head. Only brown and black belts can score a point for taking opponents down to the floor.

An aggressive attitude, stalling, frequent warnings, contact, grabbing and strange Bruce Lee-type yells, or kihops, are all means for point deduction of disqualification, Grandmaster Kim said.

The next division of competition is forms. Hyungs, the Korean name for forms, are ancient formal excercises. They are preset patterns of stances and techniques for defense against imaginary opponents. The variation and difficulty of hyungs in the festival increases with each belt in the Cha Yon Ryu system.

A chance to have fun and show off is what the speciality demonstration division of competition is all about. "The specialty devision lets competitors show of their best Cha Yon Ryu skills," said Robert Henricksen, a junior economics major and assistant Cha Yon Ryu instructor. `It's sort of a talent show."

Competitors can demonstrate the hyung they do best or include acrobatics while breaking a wooden board. Weapons demonstrations are also part of this category.

Grandmaster Kim Soo's festival and other competitions in the martial arts would share a common aspect-competition. The differences, though, are purposefully greater than the similarities. First, this event is called a festival and not a tournament.

"It is politically correct to call the event a festival and not a tournament. It avoids the negativity associated with tournments," Henricksen said. "Some modern schools have placed an emphasis on the exclusion of personal values. They only train for competition. They're physically dangerous because of these values."

Also, students of the Cha Yon Ryu system are allowed to compete exclusively. Tournaments generally allow anyone with martial arts training to register for competition potentially dangerous situation.

"It's not a bloodbath. It's not killed or be killed," Henricksen said. "It's a safe way to have a learning experience. You're going through competition in a friendly and safe environment. It's a family reunion with an emphasis on the festival."

In keeping with the festival motif and deterring the idea of aggressive competition, there is no carry over of titles won during the tournament. First place winners do not have to compete the next year to maintain their titles.

The festival does not include a division for rank testing, which allows students to move higher in the belt system. White, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown and black belt represent the descending order of rank in the Cha Yon Ryu martial arts system.

SAE SUSPENDED OVER SEVERED-FINGER INCEDENT

COMMITTEE TO REVIEW PARTY INCIDENT

NATIONAL OFFICE SAYS LOCAL CHAPTER MIGHT GET CHARTER REVOKED

BY DAI HUYNH

Responding to the onslaught of complaints and criticisms concerning Sigma Alpha Epsilon, UH officials have placed the fraternity on temporary suspension.

The organization's registration, allowing it to use the university's facilities and other privileges, was withdrawn until an appointed committee reviews alleged incidents of inappropriate behavior.

The decision to take action was prompted by reports from the fraternity's neighbors and other witnesses who claim that the fraternity members litter on neighbors' property and fail to provide a safe and secure atmosphere to party guests.

On Aug. 25, SAE President Stephen Ferro, 22, was indicted by a Harris County grand jury after hearing testimony on how UH-Downtown sophomore Carrin Huber's left pinky finger was severed during a fight that erupted at one of the fraternity's parties.

Ferro's criminal trial date has not been determined, said Chris Bell, Ferro's counsel.

Ferro deeply regrets the closing of SAE's house brought on by the incident between him and Huber, and hopes to be given the opportunity to present his side of what actually occurred, Bell said.

Vice President for Student Affairs Elwyn Lee said a board consisting of faculty members and students will review whether the fraternity violated UH policies on "Rights and Responsibilities of Registered Student Organizations", which state that a registered student organization has "the responsibility to be cognizant of the special role it enjoys as an integral of the University of Houston, and to act accordingly in the best interests of its members and the university."

The policies further state that the organization also has "the responsibility to take reasonable precautions for the safety and comfort of participants at organizational events."

UH will hold a hearing on SAE's future status with the university sometime in November, since Ferro had expressed his desire to settle this controversy as soon as possible, Lee said.

Lee added this situation should not taint the image of all fraternities and sororities.

"In a family of 28, every now and then someone may not live up to your ideal," but this should not eclipse all the wonderful things the other members have done, Lee said.

Preceding the organization's suspension, the SAE national office notified its Houston chapter that it is seriously considering revoking its charter.

The national office ordered the local fraternity to submit a letter by Nov. 20 explaining why its charter should not be suspended.

The letter from the national chapter states that the fraternity in Houston fails to meet 29 of 49 minimum expections of membership including violation of policy on hazing, alcohol and drugs.

The letter also states that the local chapter has exhibited "Conduct unbecoming a true gentlemen," and its past diliquent activities will be reviewed by the Supreme Council.

SAE Risk Manager Greg Robertson said he is unwilling to comment on what is currently transpiring between the national and local organization at this time.

RETARTED ELF HIT WITH UNIDENTIFIED FLYING NECKBONE

BY JENNIFER SORUFKA

I was a Fitzgerald's virgin. Was, I say, for Saturday night I entered its doors and the realm of Retarted Elf and Neckbone, and am now forever changed.

I was drawn at first to see Neckbone, a punkish rock band which I saw play over a year ago at their first-ever gig. While they showed definite promise, they were still rough around the edges, and now many moons and a few member changes later, their music has a backbone only time and true talent can provide.

"What makes us different from most bands is the relationship between the band members," commented bass player Joel Hoyle.

"We are five very strong personalties, but we care a lot about each other and I think that comes across in how we perform on stage," added Joel's brother, lead singer Daryl Hoyle.

Their lyrics also stand out from the rest, for they stray from the usual "Meet-Somebody-Fall-Instantly-in-Love" generic theme. Joel's "Steel Directions", for example, is about "love from beyond the loins"(an uncommon theme these days ...). "I'd like to think that we're not just trying to throw out words," said lead guitarist Sid Bolmey. Sid, along with Joel and drummer Matt Kelley write for the band, and they all follow The Godfather of Funk George Clinton's motto, "Think, it ain't illegal yet."

At the beginning of the show, the band was lost in the grey billows of an overzealous smoke machine, and the audience had to rely on the music alone to keep them going. But after the fog cleared, the actions of the often spasmatic "Boneman" Ben Perez brought the pit into a fury.

As they moved from the scurring beat of the Beastie Boys masterpiece "Rhymin `n' Stealin" to the quiet simmer of their own "Revolution," they proved that an "outer Loop band" can rock the best of them.

Trust me now, believe me later -- Neckbone will be famous, and I will be able to say, "I was there." They are supposed to play at the upcoming Houston Music Council Showcase, and you can bet I will be there, boning with the rest of them.

Now onto virgin territory -- Retarted Elf. My first impression was that the band members -- all nine of them -- were completely nuts. But by the close of the show, I was in envy that they could just have a blast on stage and get PAID for it.

"We enjoy being off the wall," said trumpet player Ricky Dis. "It's great that we can call ourselves `Retarted Elf' and get away with it."

Their music, which falls in the category of "White Rap" for lack of a better term, can be called nothing less than entertaining. Unlike Neckbone, they are not concerned with lyrical content, and dubbed most of their songs as being about "pimping."

"We are trying to get people to cut loose," said drummer and background vocalist "Sugga Du." "We're just a bunch of misfits together in one band, but we've got something going so we're going to run with it."

Their individual talents are no joke, no matter how retarted they get on stage. Bass guitarist "Rook" is an ex-member of the band Watch Tower that toured through Eastern Europe and Germany. Their newest and youngest member, "The Rooster Wonder," has a goal to make the Retarted Elf's Hell Horns a "tight, out of sight brass section," though he realizes that the music industry is somewhat of a pipe dream. "Sugga Du" admitted that the band is a bunch of people who don't want to sell out and grow up just yet, and it shows on stage.

According to lead rapper "Wubba," the band is trying to give new blood to the music industry. But from the scene in Fitzgerald's, you would think they were giving out Vivarin. Every one of the 10 people on stage went all out, as if they were solo, and watching their 10 individual shows together made for one hell of an entertaining collaboration. The band managed to out live the energetic pit, which at one point climaxed with fans literally hanging from the ceiling.

The `Party on Stage' ended, and the audience must have felt as I did -- that they would give a limb to join that party. "Wubba" tried to convince me that there really is a lot of work that goes into the show, but I still say "Nah" -- they have too much fun.

SPEAKER PREDICTS COLD FUSION BREAKTHROUGH

BY KATHY ALLEN

A breakthrough will occur in the cold fusion controversy within the next few months predicted Carol White, editor of the 21st Century Science & Technology magazine, last Monday at a campus seminar.

Despite White's optimism, some of the 20 people in attendance left disappointed. Physics graduate students Mike Kempel and Graham Kahn said they were hoping to hear compelling new scientific evidence that might convince them of cold fusion's reality, but none was presented during the seminar, sponsored by the Schiller Institute.

Cold fusion is the term used to describe an experiment conducted by electrochemists Martin Fleischmann and B. Stanley Pons at the University of Utah in early 1989.

"Simple experiment results in sustained N-fusion at room temperature for first time. Breakthrough process has potential to provide inexhaustible source of energy," said the university's press release headlines on March 23, 1989.

Physicists all over the world worked around the clock trying to duplicate the experiment, but few were able to replicate the high heat or the nuclear radiation that Pons and Fleischmann had said they produced.

At UH, Paul Chu, well-known for his superconductivity breakthrough, and two graduate students tried unsuccessfully to duplicate the experiment, Professor James Benbrook, physics department chair said. They spent a lot of time at it before giving up.

Because the experiment could not be reliably reproduced, the initial euphoria among the U.S. scientific community quickly turned into public skepticism resulting in a controversy that has yet to be resolved.

But, according to White, cold fusion research is alive, if not totally well, throughout the world. During the seminar, White described the highlights of the second annual cold fusion conference held last July in Como, Italy.

The highlights included descriptions of the cold fusion experiments throughout the world that are producing interesting but not necessarily similar results.

Also, White described the debates at the conference that centered on the pros and cons of the different techniques used by scientists in conducting their experiments.

White criticized the U.S. scientific community for ostracizing those scientists interested in pursuing cold fusion research. But she noted that significant resources were being expended on cold fusion research at the Stanford Research Institute.

White expressed hope that the controversy surrounding cold fusion would soon end.

Pons and Fleischmann will attempt to replicate their high heat experiment and demonstrate it to the public within the next few months, White said. If they are successful, this could be a significant turning point.

If they are unable to replicate the experiment, White predicted several key programs conducting this research would be disbanded.

"It's a chaotic field as far as theory goes," White said. "But it's wide open, and it's exciting. All I can say is that I was extremely impressed by the character of the people who were sticking in there and doing the work. They're toughing it out. To me, it's almost like a resistance movement in the core of science."

White also criticized the U.S. scientific community, including Pons and Fleischmann, for perpetuating an environment of secrecy because of the desire for patents and grant money.

She stressed that closed research environments stifle information sharing and slow down technological advancement vital to human survival.

Kempel expressed disappointment that the seminar was more of a political discussion than a scientific discussion.

But Kempel agreed with White that in the U.S., because of the secrecy surrounding leading-edge research, multiple labs end up working on exactly the same thing. If there were more openness, then there would be less duplication of effort and possibly quicker results.