NEW GREENAWAY A REAL BUMMER

BY SALLY POUNCY

Normally I enjoy my job. People pay me to go see movies and write reviews. Usually, it's lots of fun.

However, I sometimes get suckered into seeing a movie that makes me wish I were chained to a 40-page research paper in a non-air conditioned room during the middle of July.

Prospero's Books just so happens to be one of those movies.

It is a film version of William Shakespeare's The Tempest. Which is the story of Prospero, the Duke of Milan, who has lost his title, home and library at the hands of his brother.

Prospero is set adrift in the ocean with his 3-year-old daughter Miranda, food and 25 magical books. They land on a deserted island and Prospero sets about creating a comfortable life so that he may educate his daughter.

Dialogue was the biggest problem I had with this film. Sir John Gielgud portrays Prospero, so he speaks his lines in tradional Shakespearean fashion, but he also speaks everyone else's lines at the same time they are. The dialogue becomes more like background music than the vehicle to move the film along.

Director Peter Greenaway (best known for his film The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover) adapted the play for the screen, and missed something, somewhere.

Greenaway took an ultra-artistic attitude for this film and turned it into a snobby, rebellious work that would be unappealing to the average film lover, because of its isolation of the audience. The film seems to be made for the actors in the movie, not the audience.

However, Greenaway can be given credit on his choice of Michael Clark as Caliban (the deformed half-human son of Sycorax.) His movements echo the beast in Caliban as well as enhance the human side of the character. He is the only character who was interesting to watch.

Nudity is used extensively in the film. All types of people are shown in the buff: fat, skinny, ugly, pregnant, etc. You name it, they're there. Greenaway's approach to the naked factor was not apalling, but a little overbearing.

Images are juxtaposed constantly over the main action. In the opening scene an image of water dripping is flashed on and off the screen over an image of a model ship being deluged with rainfall, which is framing yet another image of a bathing pool. Greenaway placed three images on top of one another like mats on a photograph.

All in all, the movie is not worth the $6.50 for a ticket. Go do anything, but don't go see this movie! It will bore you and make you wish you had a 40-page research paper to write.

*******************************************************

`SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND'

AUTHOR OUTLINES SOURCES OF BILLIONS OF UNCLAIMED DOUGH

TELLS ABOUT UNIQUE SCHOLARSHIP FOR CONVICTED LADIES OF THE NIGHT IN SEATTLE

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

What do Tylenol, McDonald's, the government, foundations, TV talk show host Montel Williams and universities all have in common?

They all give money to students for college -- some in the form of scholarships, some in grants and some in loans.

As the saying goes, "Seek and ye shall find."

Just ask John Bear, author of Finding Money for College. His 157-page guide to scholarships, grants and loans documents more sources of financial aid for students than just about any other book on the market ($6.95 in popular bookstores everywhere).

More than $6.5 billion in financial assistance for students goes unclaimed every year, Bear said.

Part of the reason is that some specialized scholarships can't find people to meet their criterion. Some examples of the more difficult and unusual:

Scholarships for convicted prostitutes in Seattle. Seriously. The fund was established by a judge in the city.

Scholarships for people named Baxendale, Borden, Pennoyer or Murphy. The money is waiting at Harvard.

Sports scholarships in frisbee (at the State University of New York at Purchase) and racketball (at Memphis State University).

The Charles and Anna Elenberg Foundation grants -- awarded to needy Jewish orphans.

Of course, most scholarships and grants aren't quite so odd and specific. Usually, the awards specify a geographic area of the country, a field of study or a level in school (graduate, undergraduate, doctoral, etc.) to narrow the field of qualified applicants.

Often, financial need is not a qualifying factor.

"Experts agree that much of the reason money goes unclaimed is because they feel they're not eligible," said Joyce Smith, associate executive director of the National Association of College Admission Counselors.

She and others suggest that anyone interested in applying for aid should follow some basic procedures.

First, students should find out what scholarships, grants and loans are available from their schools and their states. This information is available at university financial aid offices.

Second, students can research national scholarships and grants through books like Bear's or through some inexpensive publications like the American Legion's annual "Need A Lift?" which costs $1 and can be obtained by writing to the American Legion at P.O. Box 1050, Indianapolis, Ind. 46206.

Other sources of money are corporations and non-profit organizations that are worthy of investigation. Some examples:

McNeil Consumer Products Co. offers the Tylenol Scholarship Program, giving a total of $600,000 to students in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. "The Tylenol Scholarship Program represents our ongoing, long-term commitment to providing educational opportunities and financial assistance to those students who demonstrate outstanding leadership skills," McNeil President James T. Lenehan said.

TV talk show host Montel Williams has formed his own non-profit organization in Denver called REACH for the American Dream. It distributes college scholarships to students who can't afford school.

Chick-fil-A Inc., a growing fast-food chain now in 31 states, offers $1,000 scholarship plans for workers.

Students can also check with their parents' employers.

According to a 1983 article in the Chronicle of Higher Education, "About $7 billion in tuition assistance is available each year under benefit plans provided by employers for their workers, but less than $400 million is actually used." Many believe even more money is available today.

Finally, in terms of finding the specialized scholarships available, "there are a lot of companies cropping up that will look for these specialized awards," Smith says.

Bear explains the process: "Some clever entrepreneurs have researched the world of available scholarships, entered thousands of them in their computers and, for a fee, will endeavor to match your needs and qualifications with the available awards."

The fees generally range from $35 to $100. Bear lists some of these organizations available at some schools' financial aid offices.

CULLEN FOUNTAIN WILL BE RESTORED TO FORMER GLORY

BY DAI HUYNH

After two years of standing in limbo, the Cullen Family Fountain will soon be revived to spray again.

The reparation of the fountain will soon begin, Executive Director of Facilities Herb Collier said.

A chain-link fence surrounding the pool, extending to the front of Hoffman Hall, was erected in preparation for the reconstruction to start Monday, he said.

The fountain first showed signs of trouble in 1989. Broken valves, deteriorating water pumps and leaky pipes were the main culprits. Fixing the leaks proved to be a difficult task. Instead of finding only one or two leaks, workers discovered several smaller ones that were hard to locate. However, these problems were immediately repaired, and the pool appeared to be in good condition, he said.

The repairs, which cost the university about $30,000 to $40,000, lasted about four months.

In March '90, movements from the earth caused a six inch plastic pipe under the pool to burst open. The water pressure from the broken pipe allowed sand and dirt to enter the fountain, loosening the pool's huge concrete slab.

The slab then rose several feet above the normal level, causing water to spurt out of the cracks.

Eventually, this led to the eruption of the pool's entire concrete floor. The situation was so bad it propelled us to drain the pool, and except for a brief period when temporary sprinklers were installed for the Economic Summit in 1990, the fountain has been devoid of any water, Collier said.

Although, the foundation looked intact after the water was turned off, the pool would not hold water. The floor of the pool needed to be cut away for workers to repair the broken pipe.

An engineering firm (WHO???) was employed to evaluate the situation and estimated it would cost between $600,000 to $1 million to repair the pool.

Repairs immediately started when a donor contacted Collier and sent money the next day to begin the restoration.

However, reconstruction was halted for several months when funding ran out, and not until the $1 million donation from university alumni John and Rebecca Moores in October, did the steam to complete the restoration effort begin to pick up again.

Although the fountain needed only $250,000 to get it to work again, the Moores wanted the fountain completely fixed.

The extra funds will allow the university the opportunity to redesign the pool, Collier said.

The fountain will get a new foundation less susceptible to Houston's gumbo soil, which expands when wet and shrinks when dry, causing the earth to move.

Also, the pipes will probably be placed in the fountain rather than under it, allowing easy access if a pipe should break.

BARNETT CELEBRATES FIRST ANNIVERSARY

DONATIONS, RESEARCH TOP LIST OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS

PRESIDENT: SCHOOL NOW SITS `ON THE CUSP OF GREATNESS'

After a whirlwind year of acquainting herself with the community, UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett is now positioned to roll up her sleeves and begin implementing her aspirations of making UH a leader in the 21st century.

"It would be easy for UH to drift and simply allow the present to melt into a seamless, but static future," Barnett said. "However, again we have the will to shape our future. The test, therefore, that we must apply as we evaluate last year and as we look ahead to next year is the test of long-term development."

Barnett, sitting behind a large oval table with organized stacks of papers awaiting her attention alongside a box of tissues, is in accord with her surroundings, although her allergies have had a tougher time adjusting.

Her brown eyes awaken behind her oval glasses as she passionately speaks of the potential greatness UH can achieve.

She repeats what she has said since she first visited the campus before her appointment, "UH is on the cusp of greatness."

Reflecting on her first year, she said she takes pride in the fact that the faculty, staff and students have all worked with her to develop a common agenda in line with her general vision.

Barnett describes this initiative as a "real surge of activity and commitment by the campus community to improving graduate and undergraduate education."

By interacting with the Houston community, she has attracted community leaders and formed a President's Advisory Council and Friends of UH.

Barnett gave her first "President's Report to the Community" last spring, attracting a capacity crowd of 800 people. More than 200 others had to be turned away due to a lack of space.

She created the Texas Center for University Partnerships to assess national school reform efforts and disseminate the information. To date, 37 universities and university systems across the country have joined TCUSP, she said.

Research gained national acclaim under her leadership, when in the January issue of Nature magazine was UH ranked 10th in the physical sciences. The magazine measured the extent to which researchers cite and use the work of physics, chemistry, engineering, mathematics and geoscience faculty.

Also, 70 new National and University Merit Scholars enrolled at UH in 1990, ranking the university seventh among public universities nationally.

In October of this year, UH held its first "Celebrating Diversity Week," which featured Costa Rica's President Rafael Calderon Fournier giving the Autumn Convocation speech.

During her administration, Barnett announced unprecedented gifts to the university. In October of last year she announced UH had received $42.2 million in private gifts, and $30 million of that amount was from the Cullen Foundation, which was the largest gift UH had ever received at that time.

But her announcement this October of John and Rebecca Moores' gift of $51.4 million -- the largest ever given to a U.S. public university -- has received the most attention. Since Barnett's arrival, UH has received about $106 million in donations.

But while UH has received unprecedented gifts under Barnett's leadership, the past legislative session hindered the already-beleaguered UH budget -- and future state support looks bleak.

Since 1985, UH has suffered an 18.7 percent erosion in purchasing power, she said, with the variables being enrollment, state appropriation and inflation.

"We are in a period of great fiscal uncertainty. There is the

potential for a 5.27 recision in the next fiscal year and the possibility that the state deficit will be as high as $7 billion in the next biennium -- we have a real challenge before us," Barnett said.

Among the challenges facing UH are:

State appropriation per semester credit hour adjusted for inflation declined 17 percent from 1984 to 1991;

Full-time student-faculty equivalent ratios increased from 17:1 in 1984 to 19:1 in 1990;

The percentage of lower-division organized classes taught by ranked faculty decreased from 49 percent in 1984 to 45 percent in 1990;

Average faculty salaries adjusted for inflation decreased 8 percent from 1983 to 1991; staff salaries decreased 18 percent;

70 percent of the staff earn less than $25,000;

The amount of educational space per full-time student dropped from 131.7 in 1986 to 109.4 in 1990; and

UH dropped from 50th to 104th in research library rankings from 1983 to 1990.

HANDICAPPED RESIDENT UNSEATED BY NEW TILES

REMODELING JOB DISPLACES BENCH USED IN SHOWER

BY MELISSA NEELEY

A handicapped Cougar Place resident can now bathe safely because his folding bench was replaced last Tuesday after two months of using a metal lawn chair to support himself in the shower.

"Bathroom facilities were being remodeled and my folding bench which I sit on to take a shower was removed because installing it makes holes in the tile. I was given $50 and told to find my own means for taking a shower because the material on the tile was too expensive to drill," said Don Gulis, a wheelchair-bound resident.

On Aug. 18, Ray Dominigue, Cougar Place area coordinator, and Ahmad Kashani, assistant director of operations, wrote to Gulis saying he could not use his shower bench because it would cost too much to install it, Gulis said. He was then told he would be given $50 to find another means to bathe.

Between Aug. 19 and Oct. 29, Gulis said he tried twice by phone to contact Kashani or Dominigue to install the shower bench, but his calls were not returned.

Gulis said he used a folding metal lawn chair to shower and he fell twice because the chair was too small to safely transfer himself from his wheelchair to the shower. Gulis was uninjured, but felt at risk without the bench because he had never slipped when he used it, he said.

"Three folding benches were taken out of bathrooms used by handicapped residents (at Cougar Place) and the other people didn't need their benches, but I did. They even wanted to move me to another room to avoid drilling holes into the tile," Gulis said.

Gulis and his attorney eventually wrote to Kashani and Dominigue formally on Oct. 3, requesting his bench be returned and complaining he was not treated like an ordinary resident because he could not safely and comfortably shower, he said.

Gulis also sent copies of the letters to UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett and Assistant Director of Residential Life and Housing Sandy Coltharpe, he said.

Barnett was very helpful and Coltharpe visited Gulis the day after she received the letter, he said.

"Thanks to Sandy, my bench was installed in 30 minutes. She was more concerned about me than any other person I dealt with, and I really appreciate her help."

Gulis said he's not mad at UH officials, but said it wasn't right for his bench to be taken away from him.

"I wish this could have been taken care of more quickly and that my requests were not ignored," Gulis said.

The high cost of service material and the risk of decay in the shower stall was the main reason for initially not allowing Gulis to have a shower bench, Coltharpe said.

"We will work with any handicapped students who use benches like Don," Coltharpe said. "It depends on the student's need because some handicapped residents don't use benches and others do. Residents change from year to year, so we will adjust and work with them," she said.

Dominique and Kashani have not returned calls for comment.

COUNSELING AND TESTING DEPARTMENT HELPS THOSE ON ACADEMIC PROBATION

BY TERI FOSSUM

Counselors at Academic Advising and Counseling and Testing Services are ready to help students in the uncomfortable position of being on academic probation.

Students who find themselves on academic probation are often embarrassed or unsure of what to do, said Sara Lee, associate director of the Academic Advising Center.

Heavy work schedules, over-involvement in extracurricular activities and being unprepared for the time and effort that must be put in to a successful college career contribute to academic problems.

"We mainly deal with undergraduates, but we are very willing to help anyone. The individual needs of each student are evaluated," Lee said, and then a personal schedule is worked out that may include counseling, tutoring or workshops.

Probation periods are strictly enforced, but they should not be seen as a period of punishment, Lee said. It's a time when students can identify their problems and get help, she said.

Time management, poor motivation, test anxiety and choice of major are other problem areas for students, said Raymond Lenart, a CTS counselor.

"Time management is a very big factor with students on this campus," Lenart said, because most live off campus and have long commutes.

Student academic problems sometimes stem from choosing the wrong major. A student may be interested in psychology, for example, but is an excellent writer. So maybe he should consider creative writing, Lenart said.

When students know they have trouble in a subject and must take it, they should consider taking fewer classes, he said.

"A good rule of thumb is to allow an excessive amount of time for problem classes, usually two times the amount you would normally schedule," Lenart said.

An early warning system, such as mid-semester grades, is being considered by the Academic Advising Center, Lee said, but she was unsure of how soon one could be implemented.

STUDENTS SAY UNIVERSITY'S JUDICIAL SYSTEM UNFAIR

SACRIFICES FAIRNESS FOR EXPEDIENCY, IGNORES CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS GIVES ONE THE POWER TO PROSECUTE, JUDGE AND BE JURY; IGNORES RIGHT TO NOT INCRIMINATE

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

The system stinks.

That's what students on a review board at the University of Minnesota say of the school's judicial system. They claim the school sacrifices fairness for expediency, ignores constitutional rights of due process by giving one person the power of prosecutor, judge, jury and appeals judge, and ignores the constitutional protection against self-incrimination.

"To me, (these violations) sound like a good argument against having the university handle anything that isn't academic," said Jack Stecher, an economics graudate student serving on the committee.

Stecher isn't alone in his thinking. For years, students, faculty, administrators and other scholars have butted heads on the issue of a university's right and power to prosecute criminal cases in the campus courts.

Universities' "determination to enforce this ... rest on the premise that colleges and universities have a jurisdiction over the lives of their students that is independent of the law of the land," writes John Roche, a former member of the Johnson administration, in a recent article in National Review.

"The notion that an aggrieved person believing him or herself the victim of a crime must `keep the matter in the family' is a jurisprudential absurdity."

Frequently on the opposite side of that argument are campus judicial administrators.

William Bracewell, the former president of the Association for Student Judicial Affairs and the current head of the Office of Judicial Programs at the University of Georgia, said universities justifiably have separate jurisdiction.

"Each one of those jurisdictions has a different interest to protect," Bracewell said. Each school, like each city and state, "has a set of regulations that are right for that campus, that are right for that community."

Bracewell points to the issue of date rape as an example of why campuses need to address criminal charges in their judicial systems.

"If you talk to women, they don't want those men on campus. What if the woman has a class with the man who assaulted her? In some states, the law doesn't even include date rape" as a criminal offense, Bracewell said. "Will the institution defer to the state if the state isn't going to respond at all?"

Bracewell said schools need to address criminal complaints because they affect the university community in terms of campus safety and victims' rights to get an education without interference from the people who have committed criminal acts against them.

Others disagree with the campus system's ability to handle criminal cases.

"The goal of the campus judicial system is ... primarily to protect the interest of students. The criminal justice system focuses on punishing offenders," said Carol Bohmer, a sociology professor at Cornell University and a former attorney who is a national expert on date rape. She said that because schools try to afford equal protection to both the victim and the offender, punishments often do not fit the crimes.

One problem in any discussion of how campus judicial systems should operate is the fact that virtually no two systems are the same.

"You'll find that they are anything but uniform," said Randy Bezanson, dean of the Washington and Lee School of Law and a national expert on constitutional law.

"The larger universities have more elaborate processes. The smaller liberal arts schools are less elaborate and their systems are more widely varying because the whole process reflects traditions."

The systems that contrast most harshly are public and private, because public institutions must adhere to state and federal laws.

In September, Liberty Bible College in Lynchburg, Vir., expelled three seniors for worshipping at the United Pentecostal Church, a violation of a school policy. Although the school held a hearing on the matter and granted the students appeals based on the school's rules, the students' First Amendment freedom of religion rights were ignored.

Because Liberty is a private school, it is not bound by the Constitution, so the freedom of religion element of the case wasn't relevant.

But, in Minnesota's case, the allegations against the system, including a lack of a student's Fifth and 14th Amendment rights to due process -- the right to trial by an impartial judge and jury, for example -- are worthy of investigation because the school is bound by the Constitution.

"The Constitution has a special bearing because we are a public university," Stecher says.

The Minnesota students say the school's director of the Office of Judicial Affairs, Betty Hackett, has unilateral power over a student's fate.

"Say you get a letter accusing you of a crime," Stecher said. "You go see a counselor, who is Betty Hackett. You talk to her and she makes a recommendation. She then becomes the prosecutor of your case, which goes into a closed-door hearing. She is not obligated to tell you during counseling that she will be prosecuting you."

HEALTH CENTER REPORTS CASES OF CHICKEN POX

BY REBECCA MCPHAIL

The UH Health Center saw two cases of chicken pox this past Saturday, and while this may not constitute an epidemic, it does cause concern for students who have not yet had the illness.

Chicken pox is a highly contagious disease. Dr. Billie Jean Smith, director of the UH Health Center, said, "Anyone is susceptible who has not already had the illness."

The time between infection and the actual manifestation of the first symptoms is between 14 and 16 days. Early symptoms include headache, fever, fatigue and swollen glands. A rash usually follows one or two days later.

The rash begins as red spots or bumps. These quickly turn into small blisters. They usually begin on the face and spread to the chest, back and the rest of the body. In very serious cases, blisters can form in the mouth, throat, eyes and vagina.

Chicken pox is commonly thought of as a harmless childhood illness. However, it should be taken seriously.

"All childhood diseases can be more serious in adults," Smith said.

It can be especially dangerous in persons with supressed immune systems as a result of AIDS, leukemia or chemotherapy. In these cases, Smith reccommends immediate action. "They really need to be seen by their personal physician," she said.

There is no commercially available vaccine for chicken pox. However, if a case is detected early enough, it may be treated with Zorvirax, a drug commonly used to treat genital herpes.

"It can greatly reduce the number of lesions and the duration of the illness," Smith said of the drug.

The biggest drawback with Zorvirax is cost -- as high as $100 per treatment.

For those who cannot afford the pricey drug, Smith has some simple advice for dealing with the illness, "Avoid someone who has it."

However, she readily admits this is not as simple as it sounds. "That's hard to do sometimes," she said, "because a person is infectious a day or two before the rash appears."

PETRUZIELO SPEAKS AT TENNECO SERIES LECTURE

HISD CHIEF SPELLS OUT PLANS FOR SCHOOL SYSTEM REFORM

SUPERINTENDENT APPALLED BY CRIME WAVE

Frank Petruzielo, in his 13th week as superintendent of Houston Independent School District, says he recognizes the myriad of problems facing HISD and is directing schools to reform and be held accountable.

"In all the district, if it weren't for alternative teaching and interns involved in the Teach for America Program there would be 900 vacancies. We've lost the position for a buyer's market. Every time we retire a teacher who has been teaching for 30 years, we can't replace them with the same quality," Petruzielo said.

Talented women and minorities are now going into law school and engineering -- not in education -- and the applicants are not of the same quality they were 20 to 25 years ago, he said.

Petruzielo outlined crisis areas in HISD and his reform agenda to create task forces involving principals, teachers and parents in a speech Tuesday night to a group of about 40 people in the Social Work Building.

He lambasted a Tuesday Houston Post editorial for condemning his weekend retreat at the Stouffer Presidente Hotel -- with a taxpayer cost of $40,000.

He defended the retreat, saying principals, teachers and administrators gave up their weekend for a strategic-planning session, working four hours Friday evening and 10 hours Saturday.

The reforms decided on during this retreat and future ones will be implemented or people will be fired, he said.

"A principal has not been fired in HISD in 10 years and 10 percent are probably marginal or incompetent. I want to be able to say to people there are top performers," he said.

He said there is going to be a community report card judging principals and teachers in December, allowing people to understand they will be held accountable to standards.

"More than 50 percent of the kids graduating graduate without taking algebra and geometry. It's a real cruel hoax that we are giving kids a diploma that fundamentally they can't make it without a math background -- we've dummied down our expectation.

"We have a very serious problem with a drop-out rate. Our drop-out rate is 42 percent. If you start counting the kids who start out, 42 percent are not there at the end of the trail. We're not going to address this until we recognize it is there."

These children, Petruzielo said, become the casualties of gang-related activity, homelessness and crimes he directly attributes to the drop-out rate.

The teachers have no incentives to keep them in school, he said, because these kids are the ones causing the disruptions in class. They don't think about the long-term effects.

"Parents have taken a walk on their responsibilities," he said.

The schools are over-regulated with excessive red tape and bureaucracies, and everybody is directing teachers and principals to conduct themselves in a certain way, he said.

He said if all the papers one teacher is required to fill out in one year were stacked, the stack would be about three feet tall -- and half of the stack could be reduced if teachers weren't asked the same question twice.

"Just about everybody thinks getting an answer is more important than the teachers doing their job," he said.

The nagging issue of crime, he said, has evolved into a full-fledged police force guarding schools.

About $3 million will be spent this year on metal detectors, security fences, roof lighting and armed police on campuses, he said.

"I'm not excited. This money has had to be taken away from salaries and textbooks," Petruzielo said.

Not enough has been done to teach students how not to resort to violence, he said.

Regarding parental involvement, he said HISD is still operating on the assumption of the nuclear family.

"Still acting like Ozzie and Harriet when Buffy and Skippy came home to a mother. The nuclear family is no more. Less than 15 percent of children come from a nuclear family," Petruzielo said.

NO ROOM AT THE INN

CAMPUSES EXPAND, PARKING DISAPPEARS

STUDENTS PAYING MORE TO BECOME SPACE WARRIORS

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

They're asphalt battle zones.

Every morning, thousands of student soldiers climb into their mobile units, sporty and small, bulky and rusting -- and fight for a small rectangular space defined by painted whites lines.

Most lose.

Permits, tickets, fines, towed cars and just plain aggravation over this increasingly endangered species -- the parking space -- seem to gain more attention every year.

Why?

Because students are paying more for permits, more for parking violations and are finding fewer spaces. Administrators are looking for creative ways to curb the hue and cry and punish violators.

"We're all facing the same problems," said Sue Justen, parking division manager at the University of Washington in Seattle. "As campuses enlarge and put up additional labs, buildings, etc., they are building on lots.

"That takes away close-up parking," she said. "And as we replace surface lots with ramps and garages, they're more expensive, so people are paying more."

How much more?

That depends on the school. Here are some yearly permit prices at colleges around the country:

University of Arizona -- $20 for outlying, surface lots; $1,325 for a "premium" reserved 24-hour spot.

University of New Mexico -- general student permits are $45; $325 for reserved spots, complete with your own "Reserved for (your name here)" sign.

Southeastern Louisiana University -- last year's $10 permit now costs $15.

University of Nebraska at Lincoln -- faculty-reserved spaces (including a spot for the chancellor) are $265. Student reserved spots are $150. Outlying lot permits are $10.

University of Southern Maine -- most permits cost $20 for students and faculty.

Meanwhile, a large number of schools are establishing or increasing shuttle services that make for a college version of park-and-ride.

"A lot of our parking spaces are located on the perimeter, so we found that a lot of students park there and take the shuttle onto campus," said John Henderson, administrative assistant in the Arizona parking and transportation office. "We're presently transporting over 5,000 students a week."

Arizona's shuttle service is free, as it is at Nebraska.

Nebraska recently put more emphasis on utilizing shuttle service after the university hired consultants to conduct a study of its parking situation.

"They felt that we needed to improve our shuttle service and make better use of our remote parking areas," said Ray Coffey, Nebraska's business manager and newly appointed parking administrator. "Now we're working with some very positive shuttle programs to better accommodate users."

The University of Washington is working on a program to decrease the number of cars on campus andmake transportation more economical for students.

The new "U-Pass" costs students $6 a month, buying them 24-hour free access to buses, emergency rides home by taxis and night security shuttle service.

The school is also offering free parking for carpoolers and inexpensive parking tickets ($1), at up to two per week.

The regular parking rates are steadily climbing to encourage use of the new programs.

As a result, the city passed an ordinance barring the university from adding any more parking spaces. The U-Pass is partially a result of that and partially the result of successful programs elsewhere.

Another university with a problem because of its city's unique natural design, is the University of Wisconsin at Madison.

Madison is an isthmus -- a narrow stretch of land connecting two larger pieces of land. That has caused diminished parking space and increased headaches for everyone, both students and residents.

To park in Madison for a prolonged period of time, people purchase permits for off-street parking and for 48-hour permits in special areas.

Police are serious about enforcement.

In 1988, they issued 175,000 tickets; in 1990, 183,000 tickets. Through August 1991, the parking division alone has issued about 100,000 tickets.

Sgt. Victor Lambert, who heads parking enforcement in the traffic bureau, said his unit just deals with on-street violators.

"We're very strict. We have 18 people who just give tickets," he said. In addition, another city traffic division stations officers at the city's parking garages to write tickets.

New police bicycle patrol units on some campuses are issuing more tickets, adding to the challenge students face on a daily basis.

The new obstacles aren't making students happy campers.

"All dressed up and nowhere to park," began an editorial in the Michigan State News. "`No Parking' signs have become an old hat and free parking spaces are revered..."

Just before the University of New Mexico announced its plans to build another parking facility, an editorial in the Daily Lobo suggested eliminating reserved parking spaces for the university big shots when the state board of regents meets at the school.

"That would force the problem out into the open. It would be the `mother of all parking headaches.' It would be `Parking Hell,'" the editorial read. "If that were to happen, how long do you think it would take before parking structures began sprouting up on campus?"