WORLD HUNGER WEEK FEATURES ARUN GANDHI

BY ANTON P. MONTANO

For Mahatma Gandhi, non-violence was the first principle of his faith, influencing the equal rights movement of the 1960s and leading to India's independence from British colonial rule.

Next Wednesday, Gandhi's grandson, 58-year-old Arun Gandhi, will carry his grandfather's principle to Houston. He is the featured speaker in UH-Downtown's observance of World Hunger Week, Nov. 18-22.

For Gandhi, famine's horrific nature made World Hunger Week an ideal forum to present his message of non-violence.

"Certainly, hunger is a form of violence that is inflicted by society," Gandhi said. "Some people have not enough food; others have too much, and the waste is violence.

"Hunger cannot be resolved by force, but only through non-violence," Gandhi said.

Remembering his grandfather, Gandhi said the waste of food was always discouraged.

"He told everybody not to waste food," Gandhi said. "And we were taught to consume only what could comfortably sustain us."

Gandhi said hunger was a form of passive violence, often more subtle, but just as dangerous as physical violence.

"This passive violence is evident in the economic, social and political exploitation and repression in society," Gandhi said. "And it is not so apparent because it is practiced unconsiously, as in the harboring of prejudices and anger towards other people."

To combat the passive violence responsible for hunger, Gandhi said awareness is needed.

"To ignore the homeless and hungry is inhuman," Gandhi said. "We've got to be more aware of problems and be more active and more vocal.

"Everywhere, I see people being very lackadaisical about these problems," Gandhi said. "Only when we become active will our dreams be meaningful."

Debra Fishman, assistant director of student activities at UH-Downtown, said Gandhi's appearance during World Hunger Week would draw attention to the problems of hunger already apparent within the Houston community and around the world.

"The UH-Downtown student confronts daily the homeless and the hungry around downtown Houston, and many of our students have direct experience of hunger in their own countries," Fishman said.

To help combat the problem of hunger in Houston, Fishman said those attending the lecture would be encouraged to bring canned and non-perishable food items to donate to the Houston Food Bank.

Gandhi will speak at 1 p.m. in the student lounge of UH-Downtown.

Fishman said UH-Downtown students and faculty of will conduct a "Hunger Banquet" today in the campus cafeteria, to teach participants the value of food.

Throughout next week, various seminars and discussions will be held on the topic of hunger in Houston and the world.

Mitzi Coleman, spokesperson for the Houston Food Bank, said an increasing number of persons are requiring the aid of the bank, which distributes food to some 400 agencies around Houston.

"We are seeing an increasing amount of people needing food as a result of recent layoffs and the economic climate nationwide," Coleman said.

For October, the Houston Food Bank distributed nearly 1.7 million pounds of food, an increase of 44 percent from last October, Coleman said.

Bobbie Kidd, a worker with the Emergency Aid Coalition of St. Paul's United Methodist Church on South Main, said the number of hungry people increases in the winter.

"We serve from 30 to 40 families," Kidd said. "During the winter, it's up to 50 to 60.

"But, the people in Houston -- if they know -- can be very, very generous."

*******************************************************

PIXIES COOK UP POT O'ROCK STEW AT THE VAT

BY CHRIS ENGLISH

The Pixies spread their mischief Friday night at the Vatican, leaving the crowd completely bewildered and bewitched, as flying saucers and Navajos filled the speakers.

Esoterical veterans of the early punk scene, Pere Ubu opened the show, drawing applause and accolades from those who've been around long enough to remember when Pere Ubu ubiquitously were the avante guardians of New York. The lead singer still dominates the stage (he doesn't seem to have lost any weight) with his 250-pound-plus girth, spouting his even heavier lyrical poetry.

Though the overall sound has mellowed, Pere Ubu haven't lost any of their frenetics. With wild gestures and movement, the lead singer dervished around the stage like a third-base coach on acid. He even performed some magic.

The magic was replaced with befuddlement as the polka music began to blare out of the Vatican's speakers. At first people laughed a bit at the choice. Some attempted to oompa while others attempted to opa. Then it continued.

The crowd was subjected to about 20 minutes of "Beer Barrel Polka," "The Waltzing Polka" and everyone's favorite, the "Polka Polka." A few members of the audience began to swoon. Overcome by the pain in their ears, some attempted to drink it away.

The crowd, frenzied by whipping rhythms of accordians and tubas, launched itself into the air when the Pixies finally strolled onstage, arms already flailing to the music of instruments yet to be plugged in. Adolescents were airborne and Converse All-Stars began to wave in the air, borne aloft by the jam-packed masses.

How did the Pixies respond? Black Francis slowly strapped on his Fender and, nodding to the rest of the band, played something mellow (Alec Eiffel, it sounded like). Left and right, stage divers fell like bricks, as the energy was sucked out of the crowds.

Black Francis didn't seem to be too pleased with the sound coming out of the Stratocaster, so he unplugged it mid-song and tried on another. And another. And another. Disgusted, he and the rest of the band left the stage and the lights came on. That was the second song.

This hiatus was definitely disconcerting, considering their reputation for not being exactly crowd pleasers. It is said that they play their songs in alphabetical order. They tend to get up, play their songs and go. It's like Black Francis said to the crowd Friday night, "You'd expect less technical problems from professional musicians, but we're not professional musicians."

Fortunately, from there on, the energy crescendoed throughout the show. You could hear the metal stretch and tear as David Lovering wove a heavily textured lead guitar. Kim Deal on bass, well, she's got a good voice.

There's something definitely electrifying about the Pixies though, that strange marriage of hardcore and lyrical poetry that sounds like Herman Hesse trying to write Dylan songs and confusing him with Charles Bukowski. It's certainly not pretty. But it drives the body and fuels the soul. Maybe it's just ... subbacultcha.

UNCLE BILLY WOULD BE PROUD OF THESE ROCKERS

BY JOHN GRIFFIN

If you're going to be out in the Heights area tonight, you might want to swing by that crusty old night spot on Washington -- Rockefeller's -- primarily because the Minnesota-based Trip Shakespeare will be filling the former bank building with an evocative brand of psychedelia cum rock and roll.

The Minneapolis quartet is touring around the country right now, on the strength of the band's latest A&M release, LULU. LULU, Trip Shakespeare's second major label offering and fourth album to date, is a work frought with indication that the band creates a sound and purpose sharply in focus with their collective passion for music.

I talked to guitarist Matt Wilson after a Monday night performance in New Orleans, and a night of raucous debauchery on Bourbon Street.

Wilson, not to be confused with his bandmate and brother Dan Wilson, also doubles as the quartet's chief lyricist and one of three graceful singers.

And in the mundane world of formula-rock, paycheck-pop and out-and-out classless endeavors, Matt represents a refreshingly honest and genuinely caring perspective.

While the release from A&M's press corps claims the band is in a "cosmos all their own," what it really boils down to is that Trip Shakespeare is committed to the art of music.

"When we set about making this record we were really in need of a musical victory," Wilson noted. "So we didn't try to fit it into any formula. We tried to work with the same basic sounds throughout the production, while mixing in a lot of variety. More than anything, we poured our hearts out and really spilt blood on this album."

Wilson also said he'd like to see less glory and less sex surrounding the music business.

"It's pretty clear what you can do to make it if you just want to put something out," he said. "Now it's a battle to keep from falling into the traps that cripple other bands."

From the sound of the album, they're on the right track. Check out the sincerity live tonight.

ART OF BS NO HELP IN NEW WAVE OF TEST FORMATS

BY HERLINAWATI KHO

Good guessers are in luck as multiple choice tests are becoming the format of choice for more UH professors these days.

During the September Undergraduate Council meeting, it was reported there has been a 40 percent increase in the number of multiple choice questions being processed by the Counseling and Testing Services department throughout the last academic year. This is a significant increase, since the rise in the number of students enrolled at UH during the same time period is relatively small.

According to Gerald E. Osborne, director of Counseling and Testing, "Publishers of textbooks are now also making available objective test questions. It helps because it's hard to write an objective test question," Osborne said.

The fact that these multiple choice test questions are made more objective is one reason why professors are increasingly using them, leading to the rise in the number of those being processed by CTS.

Another reason for the increase, in Osborne's opinion, is the growth in class sizes. Today, a class size of several hundred students is not uncommon. By using multiple choice rather than the essay or short-answer testing formats, it's easier and faster to grade the tests since the answer sheets are read by scanning machines.

However, there are professors who still avoid using the multiple choice test format because they feel it does not accurately evaluate a student's ability. Furthermore, some fields of study require students to be able to write effectively.

Names of professors who contributed to the increase are not available because CTS only takes note of the number of questions it processes. However, Osborne said that, in general, multiple choice questions are used more by business and social sciences professors, and least by those of architecture and law.

EASTERN EUROPE'S OVER-EAGER FOR DENIM, COMPUTER LEFTOVERS

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

Old blue jeans and junked computer printers may be relics to some Americans, but they are gold to Eastern Europeans as they struggle to shape a new life of freedom.

In two unusual assistance programs, one on the part of a charitable foundation in Boston, the other began by the Kansas State University campus, Americans are being urged to dig into closets for old blue jeans and through storage rooms for discarded computer parts to send to 15 Soviet republics.

At Kansas State University, "Operation Blue Jeans" hopes to collect 1 million pairs of blue jeans and ship them -- before Christmas -- to the Soviet Union. Team members are organizing the project as part of their semester work in business strategies.

The effort, led by faculty advisor Fred Rice, includes sending letters to small business institutes at more than 500 colleges and inviting other campuses to collect and pack up clean, serviceable jeans for mailing.

"Americans are the most generous people on the planet," said Alex Randall, who is spearheading yet another assistance effort -- sending computer parts to the Soviets -- for the East-West Education Development Foundation, a Boston-based charity. "They try to help the downtrodden."

Earlier this year, when former Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard A. Shevardnadze accepted the first of 100 computers donated to him by the EWEDF, he remarked: "This machine will help us do great things."

Randall is zealously combing the country to find used computers, word processors, printers and office equipment for people in the U.S.S.R.

From all over the country, hundreds of pieces of used equipment are pouring into the Boston-based foundation. Many of the contributors are from companies that are moving up to more sophisticated equipment.

Recipients include Moscow University, the department of economics at Sofia University and the Czechoslavakian Ministry of Education.

The foundation's goal is to acquaint students with computers so they will have access to the technology when they become entrepreneurs in the future.

While American college students may not be able to contribute equipment, Randall is appealing to them to volunteer time to help transport and move equipment.

"Computer technology is free technology. It's a raw ingredient," said Randall, who spends most of his time lobbying the cause to American corporations.

Randall recently supervised a World Airways airlift of 13,000 pounds of equipment to the U.S.S.R. He sites an example of a laptop that was one of the earliest sent to Bulgaria, where a senior professor of economics is teaching students how to prepare spreadsheets.

"An American executive would just play around with this thing on an airplane, but it was a major teaching tool for this man," he said.

Randall said outdated computer equipment often ends up in landfills. "I recently heard about a bank sending 200 computers to a landfill to be crushed. I was sick. All that equipment is recyclable. We remind people our motto is `Pass it On.'"

For information on "Operation Blue Jeans," contact Fred Rice at: FAX (913) 532-7800, or call (913) 532-5529. For information on the East-West Education Development Foundation, call (617) 542-1234.

ONCE-HOMELESS PROF KNOWS MATERIAL WELL

STREET EXPERIENCE GIVES HIS STUDENTS BROAD KNOWLEDGE

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

When Len Doucette became homeless, he got angry. He wanted others to understand the humiliation, the hopelessness, the loss of self-esteem. So he began teaching a class about his situation.

"I want to get my students as angry as I am about the conditions -- angry enough to do something about it," Doucette said. "The problem starts with misconceptions about the homeless."

When he first offered the course "Homelessness and Public Policy" through California State University at Bakersfield, only a dozen students showed up. That has changed.

His lectures -- peppered with anecdotes of welfare agencies, unemployment lines, street life and experiences in overnight shelters -- are not easy to listen to. Some students dropped the course after the first lecture.

"The students who do stay in, however, are very motivated and concerned with the problem," said Jaci Ward, a program coordinator for the college. "Mr. Doucette puts his ego aside and discusses the problem objectively. He's able to depersonalize it."

Doucette first became homeless four years ago when he was in an accident that cost him his low-paying office job. He lived in San Francisco, working part-time jobs that did not cover the rent. He is now temporarily living with a friend because he can't afford rent on his part-time instructor's pay.

The outspoken Doucette, who says he does not allow himself to become discouraged, compares the current wave of homeless persons with the depression of the '30s. "Except that now these people are single. The dissolution of the family is a contributor to this problem."

Doucette tells students that while the homeless issue is getting press coverage for the first time, the majority of the problem is hidden. "These people look just like you or me. But they are living with friends, or family -- or in cars."

The class, designed by Doucette, features local speakers such as members of Congress and social agency officials. Then students are required to take part in five learning experiences and write a paper expressing thoughts and feelings about each.

Doucette's curriculum instructions include the following: (1) Go to a location where the homeless congregate and stay one or two hours. (2) Render yourself homeless for a day. The maximum amout of money allowed each person: 25 cents, no credit cards, no food. (3) Go to a non-profit agency and find out what is required to enroll in an assistance program. See how you are treated. (4) Go to a busy urban area and ask five people for the money for a cup of coffee. Note your strategies and the other person's reactions. (5) Do something to help a homeless person, making special note of how you viewed the person, and how you think the person views you.

"It is one thing for this to be an intellectual exercise and another to personalize the problem, to feel the lack of self-esteem," Ward said.

Doucette taught a similar course at San Francisco State University. The 55-year-old instructor says he wants to remind students that many people are "just one or two paychecks away" from the streets.

COUGAR CLIPS

SWC Player of the Week

UH sophomore Karina Faber was selected the Southwest Conference volleyball Player of the Week for Nov. 12 after leading UH to a match win over Texas A&M and propelling the Cougars into sole possession of third place in the SWC.

Faber, a native of Sao Paulo, Brazil, recorded 22 kills, 10 defensive digs and eight blocks against the Aggies, marking the 22nd time in Houston's 26 matches this season she has recorded double-figure kills. UH is 16-11 overall and 5-4 in the SWC.

Bayou Bucket

The Cougars and the Rice Owls will play at 2 p.m. Saturday at Rice Stadium for the Bayou Bucket.

The Touchdown Club of Houston annually presents the winner of the game with the Bucket, as the city's NCAA's I-A champion. Houston leads the Bucket series 14-3, since its beginning in 1974.

Scholarly Coogs

Freshman offensive linemen Truett Akin of Jersey Village and Vic Mamich of Barbers Hill will be honored in a pre-ceremony by the Houston chapter of the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame. Each will receive a NFFHF scholar athlete award.

Magic Man

Junior Marcus Grant had seven catches for 122 yards in the Texas game, including two key receptions in Houston's fourth-quarter drives.

"There's not another receiver in the country who makes any more clutch plays than Marcus does," said Head Coach John Jenkins.

NETTERS BORDER ON ELITE, BUT LACK KILLER INSTINCT

MARTY HAJOVSKY

VOLLEYBALL NOTEBOOK

Last week showcased everything that is both good and bad about the 1991 Cougar volleyball team.

On the good side, the netters smoked a tenacious Aggie squad in Hofheinz last Wednesday in a 3-1 match that was much closer than the score would indicate.

Up two games to none with a 13-7 advantage in game three, the Cougars were virtually shut down the rest of the way. The Aggies dug everything sent their way as they went on a 9-1 run to force game four.

The Cougars surged back to take a 13-8 lead, but blew it as the Aggies reeled off a 6-0 run to take a 14-13 advantage.

Seniors Karen "Ring That" Bell and Ginger Wittkofski then showed their leadership and stepped up to take command.

Wittkofski finessed a side-out on a trademark Wittkofskill and Bell slammed the last three points as UH sent the Aggies marching home.

But the week's real bright spot came from Sao Paulo native Karina Faber.

The Killer Braziller was named Southwest Conference Player of the Week, the fourth time a UH player has been honored this season, as she averaged 5.5 kills per game against A&M.

She led both teams in kills with 22, the eighth time this year she's recorded 20 or more in a match. She also posted eight total blocks and 10 digs as Houston moved into a solid third place in the SWC standings behind Texas and Texas Tech.

Faber has quickly become the best all-around player in the conference. She leads the league with 4.27 kills per game, way ahead of A&M's second-place Alysia McMath with 3.61.

She's second in blocks per game (1.37), fifth in service aces per game (.35) and eighth in hitting percentage (.266). Together with the Cougars' other super sophomore, Ashley Mulkey, UH has a formidable one-two punch that should claw opponents down the road.

But while the future is bright for the UH volleyballers, it is definitely not now.

Nothing could have driven that point home more forcefully than last Tuesday's 3-0 shellacking at the hands of the Texas Longhorns in Austin.

The Horns held Faber to minus .038 hitting percentage with only four kills as the netters fell with a hard thud, 15-3, 15-8 and 15-5. The Cougars dropped to 5-4 in the SWC, turning the league race into a two-way struggle between Texas and Texas Tech.

Make no mistake about it, UH has a pretty good team that at times is on the cusp of greatness.

But their season-long tendencies to wilt in the face of ranked teams and let beaten ones off the mat (remember Texas Tech) shows that they still lack the killer instinct necessary to be included among the elite.

Post-season play is still not out of the question, though, as the 16-11 Cougars are still a good bet to be invited back to defend last season's Women's Invitational Volleyball Collegiate tournament title.

The WIVC is volleyball's NIT. But the NIT is still not the NCAAs. That goal is still down the road.

DATE RAPE EPIDEMIC SPREADS ACROSS CAMPUSES

MORBID FRATERNITY RITES, CELEBRATIONS CONTRIBUTE TO SICKNESS

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

The nation's experts on campus rape told horror stories.

More than 10 fraternity brothers gang raped a virgin at San Diego State University. One year after the incident, the fraternity holds a party in honor of the event. No one is prosecuted.

A fraternity chapter at Ohio State University and another at Bloomsburg University in Pennsylvania require pledges to commit a gang rape or beat up a woman for induction.

Countless women report date and acquaintance rapes only to be told by police and campus administrators that they are to blame. "Why were you drinking? Why were you alone in the man's apartment?"

Their forceful voices sent vibrations of anger, frustration and utter confusion bouncing off the walls as they recounted story after story of sexual assault on college campuses, large and small, public and private -- nationwide.

Why is this happening?

At the first Conference on Sexual Assault on Campus, experts on rape, students and those working at colleges and universities in counseling, law enforcement and administration promoted a national campaign against campus rape.

The recent conference in Orlando, Fla., was sponsored by the Safe Schools Coalition Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to making colleges and schools a safer place to live and work.

One in four women in college today will be the victim of rape or attempted rape.

Rape, especially date and acquaintance rape, is the most underreported of any crime.

About 75 percent of campus rapes involve alcohol.

Those figures come from Andrea Parrot of Cornell University's Department of Human Service Studies. Parrot is one of the nation's leading researchers of date and acquaintance rape on campuses.

Parrot isn't the only expert armed with sobering statistics. Bernice Sandler, executive director of the Association of American College's Status and Education of Women project, said 100 gang rapes have been reported at colleges and universities since 1985.

Both agree that attitudes are much of the problem.

"There are people out there who think date rape is an oxymoron," Parrot said. "We have to think about the types of students on our campuses that we need to reach ... and realize that we can't change opinions with one (educational) program. We need to take baby steps to change their attitudes."

The attitude problems are coming from many directions.

"A lot of these men have perceptions diametrically opposed to the women. They don't really know they committed a rape," she said. "There are also a number of women who says they only go out with nice men, so they're not at risk. The say, `This won't happen to me.'"

Parrot adds that administrators' responses are crucial as well. She divides them into three groups: those who won't deal with campus rape until it happens on their campus, those who bury their heads in the sand and come up with creative ways to prevent victims from reporting rapes and those who see that date rape is real and take steps to prevent it from happening.

"We need to tell administrators to revise their policies ... and tell them that if we don't handle this problem it could cost them a lot of money (from lawsuits)," she said.

Police now promote sensitivity and training.

"If your people in your department at your university don't care, nothing you do will come across right," said Richard Turkewicz, police chief at the University of Central Florida. "Don't look for reasons why not to help, don't say, `You violated this safety principle, you did this and that wrong.'"

Leslie Scoville of the Rutgers University police department agrees and adds that in addition to taking added security measures on campus to prevent rape -- such as additional lighting, keeping shrubs trimmed, evaluating building plans, the scheduling of night classes and establishing campus emergency communication -- individual officer training is crucial.

"One session a year is not enough," she said. "We have to work with prosecutors, rape crisis counseling services and victim assistance programs."

People also need to encourage prosecution, they said.

Carol Bohmer, a former attorney and now a professor in Cornell's sociology department, said taking rape charges through the criminal justice system may prove more beneficial to a victim than a university's judicial system.

"The goal of the campus judicial system is different. Its primary interest is in protecting students, its reputation, its finances," she said. "The criminal justice system focuses on punishing offenders."

Many victims are shying away from criminal prosecution these days, and instead turning to civil action against the alleged rapist and against the schools for improperly handling the victim's report of the rape, Bohmer said.

"This is an increasing area in rape ... these are situations in which universities can be liable," Bohmer said.

Even with the increase in civil action, a large percentage of victims do not take any action for fear of blame, embarrassment, retaliation from an attacker and that no one will believe the victim.

Jennifer Rabold, a senior at the University of Richmond, is just one of 60 students who bonded together at the conference to form the National Coalition of Students Against Sexual Assault.

EXPERTS READY TO SAFEGUARD HAZARDOUS ASBESTOS REMOVAL

BY RHONDA HECTOR

With the installation of the Rolm telephone system under way, concerns have been raised about the hazardous presence of asbestos in some campus buildings.

The UH Environmental and Physical Safety Department has taken several precautions to insure the safety of those in the buildings while the work is going on.

Studies have shown asbestos increases the risk of developing lung cancer and also asbestosis, a progressive lung disease.

The type of lung cancer usually associated with asbestos exposure is pleural mesothelioma. While exposure does not mean individuals will develop the cancer, sources at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Prevention and Control office say it is "99 percent fatal and there is no cure."

Survey work begins today on the buildings where there is a concern about asbestos to spot potential risks.

"The survey will be conducted by licensed asbestos consultants," EPSD Director Timothy Ryan said. "They will go in and follow the cabling routes of the telephone project, and then see if the asbestos that we suspect is there is going to be a factor in the actual cabling."

Once the areas that will need safety precautions have been identified, the work will begin. Such precautions might include barricading an area in order to use high-efficiency filters, respirators or wearing special suits.

"Most likely we will use a portable containment booth to go above the ceiling, " Ryan said. "The people in the office below would not really notice anybody was there."

If the asbestos in an area becomes a risk, EPSD will train experienced asbestos workers to do the wiring, rather than training wiring contractors to work with asbestos.

"We decided that if we need to, we'll take asbestos workers, who are licensed and certified, and teach them how to string the wires," Ryan said. "That's a much safer way to do it."

Memos were sent out to the faculty and staff, and the EPSD is conducting asbestos- awareness training for each of the buildings in question. The training includes explaining the risks associated with asbestos and answering any concerns.

Asbestos consists of naturally-occurring mineral fibers and was used to make buildings sound and fire-proof before the potential hazards were discovered.

The buildings believed to contain asbestos are: M.D. Anderson Library, McElhinney Hall, Agnes Arnold Hall, the UH Hilton, Fouke Athletic Building, Hofheinz Pavilion, Garrison Gym, Melcher Gym, the Engineering Building and the South Office Annex buildings.

BARNETT BRINGS NEW VPS

LIBRARY, QUALITY FACULTY TOP PRIORITY LIST

PRESIDENT COPES WITH EMPTY TILL, AILING CAMPUS

Since 1985, UH has suffered an array of state legislative cuts, prompting UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett to use creative strategies to address budgetary problems the school has weathered.

"It is our hope we can turn these problems around, but I can't promise I can restore UH's budgetary base," she said.

At the helm, one of Barnetts' first moves was to restructure her cabinet -- the key administrators on campus -- and bring in people best suited to tackle legislative problems, she said.

When she arrived, the top administrative positions were the senior vice president for Academic Affairs, senior vice president for Administration and Finance and the vice president for Student Affairs. None of the vice presidents holding those positions are now here.

She created two new positions: vice president for External Affairs and deputy to the president. Her second-in-command while chancellor of the University of Missouri-St. Louis, Tom Jones, was brought in to fill the deputy spot.

The senior vice president for academic affairs is now the only position without a new permanent replacement.

"I think the faculty, staff and students have responded to my vision for the institution. I do have an image on campus as being a tough administrator. Probably, if you looked across the country at the 3,300 heads of colleges and universities and were to rank them on the basis of defining toughness, determination, commitment and ability to make tough decisions, I would probably rank close to the top among that group," she said.

She also describes herself as a humane leader with a vision for the institution.

"I don't think I'm overbearing. I try to select very strong leaders because I am very candid and very straight forward. I am very clear that I want things done efficiently. I want them done cost effectively, and I want them done ethically. I am very clear in telling people that I don't like surprises and that I forgive mistakes," she said.

Barnett said she doesn't have a problem with people making mistakes; however, she said she does have a problem with dishonesty.

"I can't forgive dishonest, unethical behavior, behavior that belittles students, staff and faculty. I try to recruit very strong people to work with me -- I look for the best, brightest and smartest in their field."

Although the past legislative session ended recently, she said administrators are currently preparing for the next legislative session instead of waiting until 1993.

Barnett has defined the campus's most plaguing problems as funding undergraduate education, funds for faculty, money for graduate fellows and money to improve M.D. Anderson Library.

She has pinpointed the library as a top priority, considering the library has dropped in its ranking among American research libraries, from 50th in 1983 to 104th in 1990.

She committed $300,000 of state funds this year to the library.

The Friends of the University of Houston, Barnett said, has formulated The Twenty-First Century University Task Force, which has slated its first project to coordinate and plan a Twenty-First Century University Gala for fall 1992 in celebration of UH's 65th anniversary. Half of the monies raised from this will go to M.D. Anderson Library.

From the donation of John and Rebecca Moores, $1 million was given to the library, but she said even this gift would not raise the library's ranking.

Faculty recruitment is a serious issue on campus, and with decreased state funds, overcrowded classes continue to expand while faculty numbers dwindle. Many have questioned how UH will compete for top-notch faculty.

Barnett said UH is only one university nationwide afflicted with such problems. "We may in fact be relatively more competitive," she said.

Barnett said she has allocated $250,000 for divisions to use in retaining and recruiting faculty that can either be used to pay a faculty position or supplement existing faculty salaries.

She said the university is trying to combat this problem by pushing for increased state funds in the upcoming legislative session.

"I think we will hire first-rate people. There is an old adage in academia: first-rate people hire first-rate people. We have first-rate people and they will search until they find faculty who are first-rate," she said.

The All-University Planning Council is looking at the issue of what UH should do to retain its quality.

"Some have urged a smaller student body and others have urged a bigger student body," she said, adding that she hopes to have a campus-wide debate to discuss the problem.

Barnett has met with all 13 colleges, the UH Health Center and others to discuss their problems. Complaints include "terrible" fiscal problems and suffering faculty and staff salaries.

A thorough review and re-dedication to the total structure and design of undergraduate education at UH is under way, she said, including a comprehensive look at the core curriculum.

Barnett said this will not be a cost-savings program, as some faculty members have expressed fear about the cutting out of departments.

PROFESSORS QUESTION VIRTUE OF BONDS, LOTTERY

HIDDEN AGENDA WEAKENS ROAD MONEY; GAME MAY HURT EDUCATION

BY TODD DUPLANTIS

UH experts said Houstonians may have taken a gamble Nov. 5 when they voted to spend more money on city improvements and approved a state lottery.

Voters sent a loud message to local government by voting for the issuance of $500,000 in public improvement bonds. These bonds include street, bridge and traffic control and a $20 million housing program for the homeless.

Steven Craig, associate professor of economics, said the city used to ask for the issuance of bonds concerning each specific issue. "Now they lump them all into one so voters have less choice. It's an all-or-nothing proposition. Some of the things in there are potentially controversial, so the city has lumped them in there with things people would want. It seems like an anti-democratic thing to do."

Craig said he looks at bonds as a tax postponement device. "As an economist, we would say, `It's not what you want that matters, but are you willing to pay for it?' That's the economist's message," he said.

Edward Fuchs, a UH political science professor, said the voters' approval of public improvement bonds did not surpise him. "These are all spending measures. Everyone's talking about not being taxed and yet each individual need is so apparent. It's clear we need to continue spending. The big pressure that's been placed on Texas culture concerns the fact we are unwilling to tax ourselves," he said.

Fuchs said the ones who really benefit from these bonds are the business community -- the "life blood" of the city. "To what extent this stuff (money) really trickles down is always a question," he said. "There's always a degree of corruption, but that's part of the game of any movement of money. So you have to say we all do benefit, but some benefit more than others. Clearly when the business community benefits, they benefit more than the average citizen."

Another major issue voters approved on election day was the implementation of a state lottery. Sixty-five percent of Texans said they want to take their chances on state gambling.

"What I find disturbing about the lottery thing is that basically we've authorized the state (to have) a monopoly on the gambling business," Craig said. "If you want to have gambling, should the state be expected to run it any better than private interests?"

Craig said he feels the profits generated from a lottery would be minimal. He said in California particularly, support for education has gone down. "People think the lottery generates billions and it really does not," he said.

Fuchs said a state lottery is simply a "coming of age" for Texas. Groups opposing the lottery were defeated by a 35 percent margin at the polls. "In all cases, they implied that we're not capable of regulating our own behavior. I think that it's just part of life, risk taking. If you spend a dollar or two a week on the lottery, that's a $100 a year on gambling. I don't think that's a great deal of money."

The main focuses of the recent local elections were not only of interest in Houston, but on the national scene as well, especially term limitations in Congress, Fuchs said.

POLITICAL TIDES ABROAD HERD STUDENTS TO U.S. INSTITUTIONS

BY DAI HUYNH

The winds of political change have brought an influx of international students to UH, placing the university among the top 20 institutions with the largest foreign enrollments in the nation.

Ranked 16th, a study from the Institute of International Education revealed UH counted 2,406 immigrant students on its rolls in the 1990-91 academic year. This is an increase of 3.2 percent from 2,332 reported the previous year.

Paralleling the IIE's findings, Asians made up the main group attending U.S. institutions, accounting for 747 of the total number of international students. Foreign students enrolled at UH are mainly from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, South Korea and Indonesia.

A decade ago, students from the Middle East accounted for the majority of foreign students attending U.S. colleges and universities. Students from Iran made up the largest percentage of international students studying abroad 10 years ago, but this is no longer the case because of recent political trends, said Lucy Keller, assistant director of Academic Affairs for the IIE.

In 1979, when the Ayatollah Komeini led the revolution against the Shah of Iran, he curtailed funding for students to come to the United States to study, she said.

According to the report, there was a decline in enrollees from virtually all the Arab states, mainly Iran.

It states Middle Eastern students were 30 percent of the total foreign students at the beginning of the '80s. Today, they only make up 6 percent of students from abroad studying in this country.

In the same year, the People's Republic of China made a diplomatic agreement with the U.S. government to allow more students to come here for educational purposes, Keller said.

It is not surprising to find Chinese students accounting for the largest number of those studying abroad, she added.

According to IIE's report, Chinese students account for about 18.6 percent of the total number of foreign students studying in the United States.

About 319 of the 2,159 foreign students enrolled at UH for Fall '91 are Chinese.

IEE findings also indicate that students from Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union made up the second-largest group attending U.S. colleges and universities. Political turmoils and changes gave way to more opportunities for students to participate in study-abroad programs.

According to the IEE, students from Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union attending U.S. institutions rose to 4,800. This is a 42 percent increase from the year before.

Also, unlike other foreign students who receive scholarships from their native countries to study in the United States, the students from the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe are sponsored by U.S. colleges and universities.

"It is encouraging that the number of students from countries making the transition to democratic pluralism and market-oriented economies is rising," President of IIE Richard Krasno said. "Their experience at U.S. colleges and universities will help to provide them with the knowledge they need to manage the profound changes taking place."