CROSSTOWN RIVALS BATTLE FOR BAYOU BUCKET

BY MIKE ROSEN

There's usually not much on the line when two noncontending teams meet on the gridiron, unless, of course, you're fighting for the Bayou Bucket.

When Houston and Rice take the field at Rice Stadium Saturday afternoon, the Cougars will be struggling to retain possession of the bronze prize, a representation of their crosstown rivalry.

It currently rests comfortably in the UH trophy room, opposite Andre Ware's Heisman award. And that's where the Cougars would like to keep it.

After flying out of the gates to their first 2-0 start in 19 years, the Owls have glided back down to earth, struggling to a present 4-5 record. Only a win over Houston would sustain their hopes for their first winning season since 1963.

If Rice is to bring home the Bronze this weekend, tailback Trevor Cobb will most likely have to carry half the weight.

The junior out of Pasadena is averaging 160 yards a game on the ground this season, and his 13 rushing touchdowns account for 45 percent of the Owls' scoring offense.

For Houston's Mad Dogs, of late, Rice is the third consecutive team they've faced with a powerful backfield. Texas A&M's Greg Hill gained 160 yards against a stubborn Houston defense on Oct. 26, but was virtually ineffective between two long-touchdown runs early in the first quarter and late in the fourth.

Texas' Butch Hadnot mustered only 56 yards against them last weekend.

Cougar Head Coach John Jenkins respects Cobb's ability, but said Houston may have the advantage.

"The same emphasis was placed against Texas with Hadnot," Jenkins said. "So we come right back with the same style of play this week against Trevor Cobb, who is a different back. But still, the emphasis is there.

"We've got to panel him. We've got to take care of him," Jenkins said. "We can't have him running loose all over the field because that's their offense entirely."

That is, with the exception of the Owls' passing game, which accounts for the other half of their scoring, Jenkins said.

Freshman Josh LaRocca and junior Greg Willig are platooning at quarterback this year, in the absence of the graduated Donald Hollas.

The tandem has spread the wealth over nine games, as six Owls' receivers have caught 10 or more passes. Senior Eric Henley leads the corps with 28 receptions, totalling 379 yards and four touchdowns.

Jenkins says the balanced attack could keep his defensive line off balance.

"There's going to be some attempts downfield, that's for sure," he said. "We've got to be able to play pass defense as well, and just being aware of that gives Trevor Cobb more breathing room."

Houston has won 14 of the 17 Bayou Bucket contests, dating back to 1974. A steady defense and an offensive effort equivalent to last week's against the Longhorns should give the Cougars their fourth win and keep the bucket on Holman St.

*******************************************************

STEREO SOUND PIONEER HONORED

CHRISTIAN IS 1991 DISTINGUISHED ALUMNUS

HONOREE SAYS HIS EDUCATION AT UH ENHANCED CAREER

BY JASON LUTHER

Lynn Christian, senior vice president of the National Association of Broadcasters, has been named the 1991 Distinguished Alumnus by the UH Communications Alumni Association.

Christian graduated from UH in 1953, with a bachelor of arts degree in broadcast communications.

In the late 1950s, he was instrumental in implementing FM stereo in American broadcasting. Under Christian's guidance, the once-AM station MUZAK was changed to KODA (now SUNNY 99.1 FM), the first 24-hour FM stereo station in the country.

Christian, who now resides in Washington D.C., said the honor came as a surprise.

"I was really taken aback when I found out," he said. "I really do feel very honored. If it hadn't been for the type of training and instruction that I received at the University of Houston, I really don't feel I would have done as well in my career."

Christian has enjoyed a distinguished career in broadcasting. However, he feels there is a lot left for him to accomplish.

Christian is currently working with the NAB and other countries around the world on the first international radio conference. The conference will be held in Montreaux, Switzerland, in June of 1992.

Christian said he is excited about where radio is headed as it enters its second century.

"I think in the 21st century we won't have AM or FM radio," Christian said. "We're going to have only one kind of radio, probably digital radio. It'll all be on one dial, and it may be a new dial because it may be in a new place in the spectrum."

Christian disputes the idea that progressive technology could render radio obsolete.

"I believe that we're going to get to the point where people want to escape to the radio because it's the one electronic medium that you can listen to and still do something else," Christian said. "You can't do that with television, magazines or newspapers."

Another issue that Christian is involved in is the fight against censorship.

"I am against censorship in any fashion," Christian said. "However, I do feel radio operators should know his market and use good judgment.

"If he's in a market that is very liberal and they are used to those kinds of things and it's excepting, then he can do it. If he's in a market that is more conservative, then he should be aware of that and take precautions."

BLACK WOMEN SPEAK

PROGRESS RELATIONSHIPS ON AGENDA

BY RHONDA HECTOR

Three prominent female news anchors will be speaking at a forum on issues relevant to African-American women on Tuesday, Nov. 19.

Negative stereotyping, relationships and the progress of the African-American woman are some of the issues that will be discussed.

"I hope to discuss how things have changed for the better in past years," said Melanie Lawson, anchor for KTRK-Channel 13. "But I also want to focus on the invisible barriers that are still there."

Lawson is to be joined by Linda Lorelle, with KPRC-Channel 2 and Marlene McClinton, with KHOU-Channel 11. Also participating will be UH psychology professor Dashiel Geyen, Soncerriah Messiah Jiles of the Houston Defender and her husband Jodi Jiles, Claudette Sims of Channel 13's Crossroads and Ann Lundy, the first black woman to direct an orchestra.

"There are a number of things African-American women have to confront, including sexism, being able to make their way up the job market, racism and male-female relations -- such as the lack of eligible men," Geyen said.

Each of the speakers will have four minutes to discuss the issues and then the floor will be opened to questions from the audience.

Men and women from all ethnic groups are encouraged to attend.

"This forum is for everyone," said Latrice Sellers, president of the National Association of Black Journalists, a co-sponsor of the event with the African-American Studies Program. "Something affecting one group of Americans affects all Americans."

In order to have a harmonious society, it is important to know where people are coming from and where they have been, Geyen said.

"It's also important for everyone to develop gender and cultural sensitivity and awareness," he said.

Lawson said it's especially important that men get the message.

"Men are part of the problem, as well as part of the solution," Lawson said. "Thank goodness there are feminist men, who recognize that there are still iniquities in society."

Other topics slated for discussion include success in the home and the workplace, safe sex, Magic Johnson and the Anita Hill incident.

The forum will be from 6-8 p.m. in the Waldorf-Astoria Room of the UH-Hilton.

CHEMISTRY PROF SEPARATING HIMSELF FROM PACK

BY STEVE GARRETT

A UH chemistry professor is one of just a handful of people worldwide researching separation techniques of compounds used by the pharmacological industry.

Professor Ivan Bernal's separation technique is unique because it is simple and inexpensive.

"There's nothing to it," Bernal said. "The only challenge is to establish the conditions of solvent and temperature."

In July, Bernal was awarded the Revisting Program Award from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation in Bonn, Germany, for his research. Since then, he has been collecting data to ensure his original findings were accurate.

Bernal said he is working with the National Institute of Health and Congress to require the pharmacological industry to use his technique of separation. He said he is hopeful they will, but he was not always so hopeful.

"Three to five years ago, I suspected they wouldn't pay attention at all," he said.

"The reason I think they are willing to listen now is because I have told them it is a relatively inexpensive way of doing the job. All you need is a technician to milk the cow."

Congress seems to be listening.

"There appears to be evidence that Congress will start mandating some restriction on what these people in the pharmacological industry do," Bernal said.

Bernal said he somewhat understands why the drug industry is slow to recognize his technique.

"If they have a good product that's been making a lot of money for them, and everything is on a routine, assembly-line basis, if you threaten that source of income for them, you're threatening a large number of people," he said.

"They don't welcome the idea of introducing changes in their procedures."

Dean of the College of Pharmacy Mustafa Lokhandwala said he's happy Bernal is receiving this attention.

"If Bernal has discovered a quick, inexpensive method, that is great," Lokhandwala said.

Usually the compound is not separated, but when it is, the process is tedious and time consuming, he said. If someone is taking an unseparated compound, it is wasteful because they are really only taking half of what can help them, Lokhandwala said.

Most of the drugs on the market are effective, he said. But the problem lies in the fact that only half of a given drug contains the helpful ingredient.

"The other one is usually much less effective or not effective at all and shouldn't be there because nobody knows if it will have adverse side effects," Bernal said.

PHYSICAL PLANT WEB OF INTRIGUE GETS THICKER

ANOTHER FORMER EMPLOYEE SAYS `PRINCE OF DARKNESS' HIT LIST' EXISTS

DEPOSITION BACKS KINGS'S ALLEGATIONS OF DISCRIMINATION

BY CHRIS PAYNE

A deposition given by a former Physical Plant foreman supports allegations made by Dana King in his discrimination lawsuit against the university.

Roy Read, who worked at UH from 1971 to 1990, said in a recently-released deposition taken July 24 that King, a former Physical Plant plumber, was at one time considered to be number-one on Building Maintenance Manager Paul Postel's "hit-list."

King's lawsuit, filed in May 1990, names Postel, assistant director of the Physical Plant Thomas Wray, executive director of the Physical Plant Herbert Collier and Mechanical Maintenance Foreman Robert Scott as defendants.

Physical Plant foreman James Mitchell has since been dropped as a defendant because allegations against him happened too long ago to satisfy the statute of limitations.

King, 41, worked at UH from 1982 until he was fired on Sept. 25, 1990.

King's lawsuit, Plaintiff's Second Amended Complaint, reels off a long list of astounding allegations against the defendants, including death threats, criminal activity and gross occupational harassment.

The court document states that King, a former Harris County Constable, was harassed by Postel and Mitchell for refusing to assign case numbers to stolen items. The complaint states King understood the term "case numbers" to be the numbers assigned to police incident reports after someone reports a crime.

The suit alleges property was stolen by Postel and Mitchell, including a boat trailer, a riding lawnmower and a tractor.

When King refused to look up the numbers, Mitchell told King that "he was not playing" and that Postel "is the Prince of Darkness" and "you don't turn him down," the court document states.

Sources within the Physical Plant confirm that Postel is known as the "Prince of Darkness." One employee, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said, "I understand he's (Postel) called himself that."

The suit also alleges King was harassed and eventually fired for his participation in a UH Police Department investigation in which he positively identified a missing sewer machine found in Mitchell's possession. No charges were ever filed against Mitchell, the complaint states.

Former UHPD officer Louis DeLeGarza, one of the officers who investigated the sewer-machine incident, refused to comment on the matter.

"I never want anything to do again with UH," DeLeGarza said. "No, you don't understand at all; I have nothing to say."

King was fired after being forced to work outdoors on electrical equipment and in tunnels containing asbestos without safety equipment, the suit alleges, but was reinstated on Sept. 2, 1987, through a complaint he filed with the UH Personnel Department.

Upon his return, King met with Collier, the court document states, who told him, "I can take everything you got" and "I know people who can take care of you." Mitchell told King, "a UH official was found dead in the hotel on campus after he did not play the game," the court document states.

King was fired again on Sept. 25, 1990.

After King contacted an attorney, the document states, Collier called King at his home and told him, "I know people who can take care of you."

Joe Indelicato, Jr., one of King's attorneys, said his client has received numerous phone threats and his home has been burglarized more than once during the past year.

When contacted this summer, Read refused to comment on the suit.

"I still have friends out there (in the Physical Plant) that are going to reap a bitter harvest," he said.

In his deposition, Read said there was "talk and rumors" among Physical Plant employees about Mitchell stealing university property.

The Cougar has since learned of a memorandum dated June 18, 1985 from Postel to all Physical Plant departments, which states: "No employee shall borrow ANY tools or equipment for his or her personal use, whether they are assigned to the employee or not."

Another memorandum dated Sept. 6, 1985 from Collier to all Physical Plant departments states: "No equipment is to be loaned to an individual for personal use," and, "that any exceptions to this rule must be approved in writing by either myself (Collier) or Thomas Wray."

The same memorandum states that requests to "transfer Physical Plant equipment" by department foremen must "be approved by me or Thomas Wray."

The Texas Penal Code, Section 39.01, explicitly forbids the personal use of state property by university employees. Such an offense is punishable from a misdemeanor to a second-degree felony, depending on the worth of the property being misappropriated.

In his deposition, Read said that when King was fired for the last time, that King "was just another victim." Read also said that when an employee made it on Postel's "hit-list," Postel "would make life so miserable for you that you had to quit."

However, when asked if Postel physically threatened employees, Read said, "No."

UH has a policy of not commenting on pending litigation, Assistant University Counsel Nancy Footer said.

Footer said, however, that UH is "very vigorously defending this suit."

King's lawsuit asks for more than $1 million in punitive damages and will be heard in U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas in Houston, Judge Kenneth M. Hoyt presiding.

The suit could reach a court date sometime in January 1992, Mary Ann French, one of King's attorneys, said.

CAMPUS MARTIAL ARTS FESTIVAL BIG SUCCESS

COMPETITORS TRAVEL WORLD TO COMPETE IN WEEKEND EVENT

BY MICHICA GUILLORY

Weapons and acrobatics demonstrations, fending off imaginary opponents and sparring were all parts of the 30th Annual Cha Yon Ryu Martial Arts Festival held at the Robertson Field House last weekend.

"The festival was a family reunion of students of the Cha Yon Ryu martial arts form," said Grandmaster Kim Soo, founder of Cha Yon Ryu. Some of Soo's students traveled from as far as Saudi Arabia to attend the festival.

Guest grandmasters also attended the festival. Grandmaster Hong, Soo's senior, traveled from Seoul, Korea, to be there. Grandmaster Jack Hwang of Oklahoma City and Grandmaster Henry Cho from New York, both pioneers of American martial arts, also made the trip to be at the festival.

Soo's wide geographical range of students comes from all of the schools he has established since he first came to Houston 23 years ago. He has schools in 10 states, including Texas, which is home to 11 schools. He also has schools in Mexico to teach his form of martial arts. Students at the festival competed for medals in the sparring, hyungs and demonstrations divisions.

"We didn't have trophies this time because the students say they are too much to carry around during the festival," Soo said.

The sparring division was a sort of controlled kick-boxing match. Competitors in this division were required to wear protective gear and violent contact was not allowed.

Scoring was based on a three-point system. Points were scored for a controlled kick, punch or strike to the body, shoulder or head, according to festival rules. Only brown and black belt competitors could take opponents down to the floor.

An aggressive attitude, stalling, frequent warnings, contact, grabbing and strange kihops, or Bruce Lee-like yells, were all means for point deduction or disqualification, Soo said.

The next division of competition was forms. Hyungs, the Korean name for forms, are ancient formal exercises. They are preset patterns of stances and techniques for defense against imaginary opponents. The Cha Yon Ryu system has about 50 hyungs, which is a comparitively large number, and their difficulty increases with each belt.

Robert Henricksen, a junior majoring in economics and first degree brown belt, placed first in the forms and sparring competitions.

"It was much to my shock and amazement," he said, about winning first place. "I figured I'll show up and just do my thing. It was a real surprise."

Just before the specialty division, Soo demonstrated a form with his 26-year-old son, Sean Kim, a fourth-degree black belt.

A chance to have fun and show off was what the specialty demonstration division of competition was all about.

"It's sort of a talent show," Henricksen said.

Competitors had the option to demonstrate the hyung they did best or combine acrobatics with board-breaking techniques.

Reginald Hughes, a fourth-degree black belt, broke a wooden board with his fingertips for the specialty division, Henricksen said. Another participant demonstrated a multiple breaking technique in which boards were set up to be broken in a sequence of kicks and strikes.

Soo's festival shares one main aspect with martial arts tournaments -- competition. The differences, however, outnumber the similarities. First, the annual event is called a festival and not a tournament.

"It's politically correct to call the event a festival. It avoids the negativity associated with tournaments," Henricksen said. "Some modern schools have placed an emphasis on the exclusion of personal values. They only train for competition. They're physically dangerous because of these values."

Secondly, the festival differs in that it is exclusively for Cha Yon Ryu students. A tournament generally allows anyone with martial arts training to register for competition, which could be a potentially dangerous situation.

"It's not a bloodbath. It's not kill or be killed. It's a safe way to have a learning experience," Henricksen said. "You're going through competition in a friendly and safe environment. It's a family reunion with an emphasis on the festival."

Marlene Tarsha, a freshman majoring in biology, agrees.

"It was my first festival. There are other tournaments that are much more violent," she said. "Everybody was really friendly. This was by far the most organized."

In keeping with the festival motif and deterring the idea of aggressive competition, there will be no title carryovers. First-place winners will not have to compete next year to maintain their titles.

After the festival, there was a party at Soo's downtown karate school.

"There were over 100 people there. Everyone donated food. And we had a lot of cake and music," Soo said.

COLLEGE STUDENTS STILL LOVE MICKEY, BUGS AND BULLWINKLE

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

It happened one rainy Sunday afternoon when a pair of bored college students went in search of cheap entertainment.

They ended up at the video store, perusing the shelves long and hard for Mickey Rourke's newest release at the time, Wild Orchid.

The steamy, sexy film was checked out. A college student working at the store recommended The Little Mermaid instead.

The Little Mermaid?

You gotta be kidding.

"It's the greatest," he said. "I even cried at the end."

But, silly rabbit -- er, guy -- cartoons are for kids.

Or are they?

This year's re-release of the Walt Disney classic 101 Dalmatians is just one example of the never-ending popularity and recent rebirth of animation. The film grossed $55.6 million and was the seventh biggest hit of the summer.

Most notably, college students as well as children left theaters humming "Cruella Deville." The former searched record stores for the rock 'n' roll version of the song recorded by The Replacements while the latter, their tiny-tot companions, settled for the Disney version.

Disney movies aren't the only popular toons these days. Warner Brothers' Bugs Bunny and other characters still draw Saturday morning audiences, and students and adults alike have rushed video stores in recent months to rent and buy the newly released, six-volume Rocky and Bullwinkle collection.

"It's been like a one-two punch," says David McDonnell, editor of Comics Scene magazine. "You have Roger Rabbit come out -- a technical masterpiece -- then The Little Mermaid and Ducktales and The Simpsons on TV. All of this creates more interest.

The interest cuts across all age groups.

"We are now creating these films that don't date," said Max Howard, head of Disney's animation division in Florida. "Now there is not a generation around that hasn't grown up with animation."

Of the old animation -- Looney Tunes, Bullwinkle, the Grinch and Disney classics like Fantasia -- the reason for interest is primarily twofold.

First, "kids grow up with them," said pop culture professor Jack Nachbar at Bowling Green State University in Ohio.

Second, "If you look especially at Warner Brothers, what is recognized is classic humor, something like the restoration of comedy on the stage," Nachbar says.

McDonnell agrees. "Watching it now, I'm amazed at all the incredible references to then-current events and the subtle sexual innuendos."

Many of the Warner Brothers cartoons also emphasize societal messages, said Jay Wright, curator of the touring museum exhibit "That's All Folks!"

"This is a parcel of our way of looking at things," he said. "Like Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner. The message is that no matter how hard you try, you don't always win."

One near-exception to that rule, however, is Disney. Pop culture experts say the company single-handedly revived the industry with the release of Who Framed Roger Rabbit in 1988.

Disney followed Roger Rabbit with the Academy-Award winning The Little Mermaid and has high hopes for its Nov. 22 release of Beauty & the Beast. The only moderate Disney success was The Rescuers Down Under, which the company hopes will draw more attention now that it has been released on video.

Currently, select theaters around the country are still showing Fantasia, unarguably the animated classic of them all.

"I never met a college student who didn't get into Fantasia," said Dan Vebber, a senior studying art at the University of Wisconsin at Madison. "With The Little Mermaid, it's a sappy children's story, but I know a lot of women who love it. I think the guys do, too, they're just afraid to admit it."

Disney's success with The Little Mermaid helped reinforce the validity of its return to the goals of Walt Disney himself -- to release one new animated film every year.

After Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin is scheduled to follow.

The new films show new character depth and attempt to prove that simple, feel-good Disney storylines aren't just for kids.

"In Beauty & the Beast we tried to create a heroine in Belle, someone looking for life and education," Howard says. "In the past we've been accused of not giving our women characters depth."

Animator Glen Keane agrees. Keane was one of the animators who drew Ariel in The Little Mermaid and is the mastermind behind the Beast in the newest Disney film.

"The challenge is to build a character, to make sure he or she is real. The older guys who did Pinocchio and Snow White would've done The Little Mermaid much differently than we did," Keane said.

"We wouldn't have chosen to draw those attitudes, that heroines were supposed to be beautiful all the time," he adds. "We took a realistic approach, not the sugary-coated princess approach."

The studio also made the musical score a much greater part of the storyline in The Little Mermaid.

"Songs are an integral part of the story," Howard says. "That's what musicals and opera are -- the music was the key to it coming alive."

Disney has enlisted the talents of Howard Ashman and Alan Menken for Beauty & the Beast. The two won an Oscar for their work on The Little Mermaid.

Artistically, Keane credits much of the newfound Disney sophistication and its attraction to a college audience to the ages of the animators -- 23 to 35 on average.

"Our interests should really reflect

RICE GETS A PIECE OF THE WALL

UH SNUBBED, BUT WILL REAP BENEFITS

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

Remembering how the Bush presidential library went to Texas A&M University, some at UH may feel jilted by waste disposal company Browning-Ferris Industries' decision to give a piece of the Berlin Wall they acquired to Rice University.

However, BFI officials say their decision to give the gift to Rice was not as much a refusal to give the artifact to UH, as much as it was an agreement that Rice was the best spot for it.

BFI Manager of Community Relations Tony DeHaas said, "It was not a matter of `no' to UH. It was a matter of here it is, now what do we do with it?"

Administration officals applauded BFI's gift to Rice.

Associate Vice President of University Relations Wendy Adair said, "We are pleased Rice University received a section of the Berlin Wall. Acquisitions like that are good for the Houston community as a whole. And what benefits Rice and Houston also is of benefit to our university."

However, it doesn't appear UH was contacted or notified of any consideration for the gift by BFI.

Fran Howell from the office of Media Relations said, "It does appear that UH was not contacted. It never came up in upper-level administration meetings."

The 4-foot wide, 12-foot tall section weighing about 5,000 pounds with its base and was a gift to BFI from a West German waste disposal company, ALBA GmbH.

"It was given to us by the president of that company as a gesture of gratitude for the hospitality BFI showed its company's visitors when they came to Houston," DeHaas said.

A press release from BFI states the Rice campus location was chosen, "because of the international focus and public use of the two closest buildings. The Media Center draws filmgoers to its international film series and the Continuing Studies Center administers, among other programs, courses on international culture and history, foreign language classes and an English language program attended by young people and business professionals from more than 35 countries."

DeHaas said BFI wanted the piece to get as much exposure to as many people as possible, especially foreign visitors.

The piece has been put under the custody of Rice's Continuing Studies Program and Dean Mary McIntire said the school is very excited to have it. "We enroll about 9,000 to 10,000 students who will all be able to see it and the film series draws thousands of people a year," she said.

While UH didn't receive the wall and DeHaas was unable to comment on the the exact process by which Rice was chosen, he said UH has support from the local business community.

"There are always things swirling around UH and it has always enjoyed a good deal of support from the business community. There are other good things coming to UH. All it has to do is sit back and wait," he said.

DeHaas pointed to the Regent's campaigns to raise $350 million for UH and to BFI's own gift of $5,000 to the Geoscience Department due to be given today.

BARNETT A NO-SHOW FOR OPEN OFFICE HOURS

STEAMED STUDENTS DON'T ACCEPT HER MEDICAL EXCUSE

BY DAVE DAVIS

Angry campus organization members stewed outside President Marguerite Barnett's office Thursday, after being told she would not be available to meet with students.

Members of the Progressive Student Network fumed after learning Barnett would not be on hand, as scheduled, to address student concerns. Barnett had advertised open office hours from 9 to 11 a.m. on Thursday, but waiting students were told Barnett would not be able to accomodate them because of personal reasons.

Frank San Miguel, spokesperson for PGS, said Barnett's absence at the forum is indicative of how students' issues have been treated since throughout her administration.

"We come out here to sit here and wait for Dr. Barnett to come and talk to us about students' concerns, and evidently Dr. Barnett has decided that she's not going to show up," he said.

San Miguel said the PGS is especially concerned about Barnett's absence, because students are feeling, they are being left out of the decision-making process at UH.

The official reason why Barnett couldn't host her open-hours was medical testing, but SA Vice President Andrew Monzon said the excuse was inadequate.

"I can't believe she didn't know that her appointment for medical tests was on the same day as the open-office hours that she's been advertising for weeks." Monzon said. "Any criticism that Barnett receives for this, she deserves."

Monzon said he had planned to discuss legislation with Barnett that has been sitting on her desk for months. Instead, Monzon had to relay his messages through Tom Jones, senior vice president of Administration and Finance; Sharon Richardson, Academic Management and Operations Department; and Juanita Jackson, administrative assistant.

"These are people that you can make an appointment to see anytime," Monzon said. "Students wanted this opportunity to speak to Barnett in person."

Members of PGS held a vigil outside of Barnett's office throughout the duration of time allocated to the forum, to protest the administration's alleged lack of commitment to academics. The vigil was a continuation of a previous protest effort where PGS members sold $25 million pencils to raise money for the M.D. Anderson Library.

"Of course we didn't get buyers, but we did get a lot of attention and student reaction," San Miguel said.

Among the group's major grievances are the funding of athletics over academics, the status of the library, unaddressed SA legislation and environmental issues.

PRESIDENT'S ILLNESS TO BE TREATED SOON

UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett ended weeks of speculation about her health by informing the campus community she has developed a neuro-endocrinological condition.

Campus administrators said they don't know any more about her condition than what Barnett indicated in her letter.

Health Center Director Billie Smith could shed little light on the nature of Barnett's illness, but said "neuro" has to do with the nervous system and "endocrinological" has to do with the organs that produce hormones in the body.

Deputy to the President Thomas Jones will fill in for the president with the day-to-day operations on campus when she is away having treatments.

Jones said Barnett informed UH System Chancellor Alexander Schilt and the board of regents of her condition.

"Everytime a leader gets ill, there is always speculation and concern," Jones said. "I believe the president has said all she will on her illness and has not shared with us the details of her treatment."

In the letter, Barnett indicated treatments should be completed by the spring.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

BY CHRIS ENGLISH

"One who sees the Monks of Doom Saturday will wake up happy, wealthy, and with a sore neck," will be the popular axiom for this weekend. Actually, the Axiom will be popular this weekend when the Monks of Doom play Saturday night with Super Chunk and Houston's own icon, Dashboard Mary.

Monks of Doom is an ominous new project including two ex-Camper Van Beethoven's and one Ophelia member whose new album, Meridian should prove to be a new genrebuster.

Hearing the name "Camper Van Beethoven," you'll probably expect to hear virtuoso accoustic guitars, mandolins, violins, harmonicas and accordians. You will. Hearing the name "Ophelias," you'll expect to hear cerebral boom-and-gloom or about a woman wreathed in flowers floating down the river. You will. But this is no indication of what you will hear, though. It's like folk music with teeth, or pulling Peter Murphy away from the glossy production values and bringing in Fairport Convention to back him up, especially with songs like "Turning It On Itself" and "Argentine Dilemma."

Occasionally the group ventures into the incredibly bizarre with songs like "Hieroglyphic," which deals with ancient Egyptian teleportation rituals and "Circassian Beauty," which I have no idea what it deals with. However, considering the average Axiom crowd, this will be merely a selling point.

Let's not forget Super Chunk, who will have their own sect of admirers with their let's-beat-it-till-it-does-something-groovy sound.

Dashboard Mary should be mounted on the stage, annointing the crowd with less than like-a-virgin-mother sanctity as well. See you there.

HOTLANTA ROCK N ROLL

BY ED ROGAN

The weather last Thursday, as you may recall, was particularly uncomfortable. Venturing out into the cold for an evening of live music halfway round the world from home, seemed terribly uninviting. However, this was a show not to be missed.

The opening act, Follow For Now, was a band out supporting their debut release.

Images of Fishbone appeared on more than one occasion during the band's set. If you are into that type of thing, Follow For Now is a recommended listen. Lots of promise here.

The headliner for the evening was Atlanta-based, Drivin' and Cryin'.

The band walked out, lead singer Kevn Kinney (no, this is not a typo) made a short comment about the Magic Johnson tragedy, and launched into the set with "Can't Promise You."Drivin' and Cryin' drew almost exclusively from their latest album, Fly Me Courageous.

Said Kinney, Fly Me Courageous is the first release that the band feels really captures the live essence of the band since their independent debut Scarred But Smarter.

In the live arena, Drivin' and Cryin' takes the opportunity to showcase the rockin' side of the band, whereas the two releases that immediately precede Fly Me Courageous divide material into two distinct categories: a softer, country/fold approach, and the aggressive rock and roll that is getting the band some attention as of late. The overall sound and energy of the band were good. Just good. Why the band seemed so lackluster Thursday night was answered in part by Kinney.

He said he had a good time, but was "bummed with the weather and the whole Magic Johnson thing."The small, mostly indifferent crowd that stumbled into the Vatican surely had some impact.

Asking Kinney about the band's reception around the state, he responded that Houston has always been a tough draw for the band.

As for the band's future, Kinney said this tour will take the band to year's end. After that, he claimed he would like to get back on the road in a supporting role again. Following the release of the band's third disc, Mystery Road, the group spent about two weeks opening for Living Colour, including a stop here in Houston. Also, after a few warm-up dates last spring, the band spent some time on the road with Neil Young. Kinney said nothing was in the works, as of yet, but was optimistic. As for the band's next release, he said something new should be out by this time next year. Until then, keep an eye out for the band's return.

CONNELLS BRING MUSICAL MASTERY TO FITZGERALD'S

BY JENNIFER SORUFKA

It all started many moons ago because of a summer infatuation with a boy. When he laughed I laughed, anything he liked I liked, and every album he loaned me, I religiously listened to. He dumped me at the end of the summer (where are the violins?!?), but he left me a present (on accident) -- a cassette copy of a copy labeled "The Connells."

And a wonderful `present' it was -- for that cassette contained some of the most timeless music found to date. Unfortunately, until this week, after I begged for some press information, I knew very little about my gospel. In fact, I couldn't even have told you that the name of the album I've worshipped for the past five years is Boylan Heights, their second of four releases. Sad, I know, but that has all changed, and Friday night I get to kneel down before them on Fitzgerald's altar.

Why is their music so addictive? Could it be the band's undying commitment to their music, rather than the money they could make? Or maybe it's their even, no-frills playing, void of screeching guitars or overzealous keyboards? Through their five-year stint of melody-making, one constant has remained dominant -- true talent. Unlike some of the posterboy bands that have surfaced recently, The Connells emit a simple elegance in their music that keeps the tunes permanently embedded in the mind.

Anyone who takes a listen to the first two songs on Boylan Heights will swear I'm right. The almost folkish melody of "Scotty's Lament" will get the ears perking, and by the last strum of the six- and 12- string guitars of "Choose a Side," you'll be hooked for life.

Their style has been equated with The Smiths and/or R.E.M. from day one, with one major difference --Doug MacMillan's vocals. His voice doesn't need an aquired taste to love; it can melodically rock you to sleep or into action within a few bars. Backing him is a band capable of intertwining themselves into a pop-rock masterpiece, without ever getting tied up in harsh, brazen knots.

All of this will be readily apparent tonight, as they weave their masterpiece for those of us who are lucky enough to be witness. I'll be the one bowing front and center.

ENVIRONMENTAL ARCHITECTURE

WORLDWIDE SEMINAR HELD ON CAMPUS

BY REBECCA MCPHAIL

Did you ever wonder how eskimos got the blueprints for an igloo, or how submarines were ever conceptualized?

The International Design for Extreme Environments Assembly, being held at UH this week, is a new consortium to answer such questions about future problems of inhabiting extreme environs.

The conference is intended to bring together worldwide organizations that have an interest in building living spaces in extreme environments such as deep space, underwater and Antarctica.

Larry Bell, director of Architecture at the Sasakawa International Center for Space Architecture and co-chairman of the IDEEA One conference, said, "The initial goals were to build a network, provide a dialogue and to bring people together to really define our priorities."

IDEEA evolved from a workshop in Moscow, between the U.S.S.R. Union of Architects and SICSA, concerning the problems and challenges of building habitats in extreme environments.

During the conference both sides realized they shared common design and implementation challenges. They realized these problems could be solved more efficiently if an ongoing exchange of information was maintained between the two organizations. IDEEA One grew out of this desire for dialogue.

Bell readily acknowledges that many people may not realize the importance of the gathering.

"I think that a lot of people say, `extreme environments -- well so what? What does that effect?'" he said.

However, he believes there are many practical applications for the knowledge gained in the study of extreme environments.

"Antarctica, for example, drives almost all the weather systems on the planet and space offers many technological areas of hope," he explained.

The campus-wide conference is jointly hosted by SICSA and the Cullen College of Engineering.

The event kicked off Nov. 12 with opening ceremonies and a keynote address delivered by various international organization leaders. The day wound up with a Texas-style barbeque hosted by UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett. Aaron Cohen, director of the NASA Johnson Space Center was the guest of honor.

Activities during the week included discussions on the challenges of living in an extreme environment, responding to natural and man-made disasters and a dinner address on Thursday evening at the UH Hilton.

The dinner, entitled "Lessons from Space," featured talks by U.S., Soviet and French astronauts on the what can be learned from space.

With the current conference as yet unfinished, Bell is certain of its success.

"I couldn't be more pleased with it," he said."To get this kind of attendance for a first conference in general, particularly this kind of international participation, is really very unusual."

Preliminary plans are already underway for an IDEEA World Forum to be held in Moscow in 1992 and an IDEEA Two Conference in Montreal in 1993.

ALOHA BOWL EYES COOGS

BY MIKE DE LA CRUZ

SPECIAL TO THE COUGAR

The University of Houston is in the running for a bowl game if the 3-5 Cougars can win their last three games, said Houston Athletic Director Rudy Davalos.

Davalos said he received word from Aloha Bowl officials on Thursday and that the Cougars are still under consideration for the Christmas Day game. Houston's last bowl appearance was in the 1988 Aloha Bowl in a 24-22 loss to Washington State.

This is the first time since then Houston is eligible for post season play after earning NCAA probation.

"We still have to take care of business (beat Rice, TCU and Texas Tech)," Davalos said. "But their officials have told us if Stanford falls we will be considered as strongly as anyone else."

Stanford, 6-3, is currently the front runner to face 6-4 Georgia Tech, but the Cardinal face a road game at Washington State this weekend before closing with sixth-ranked California.

Arizona State, 5-4, and Pittsburgh, 6-4, are the other contenders. The Sun Devils, however, must face California and archrival Arizona on the road in Tucson. Pittsburgh has lost four of their last five games and has a date remaining with eighth-ranked Penn State.

Pittsburgh is the only one of the teams involved to have won the NCAA-mandated six wins against Division I-A competition. Stanford's six wins include one over Cornell, which doesn't count under the new NCAA standards. So, the Cardinal must win at least one of their next two for bowl participation.

Arizona State must win at least one game and Houston has to win all three games.

A factor which could weigh in Houston's favor is the 1988 Aloha Bowl drew the largest television rating of any non-Jan. 1 bowl game that year. It was also the largest television rating the Aloha Bowl has ever garnered.

HISD PROBLEMS DON'T DETER UH GRADUATES

BY ERICKA SCHICHE

Problems inherent in the Houston Independent School District, which are taxing even the most experienced and dedicated teaching professionals, are not having an adverse effect on recruiting efforts involving UH education and teacher certification majors.

HISD's budgetary woes, overcrowding, discipline problems and relatively low teacher pay-related problems -- in addition to the heated Texas school finance debate -- have not discouraged students from considering the possibility of a stint at HISD, said Carol Beerstecher, a UH career counselor.

Education majors must be looked at individually, as each school should be, Beerstecher said.

She said 61 education majors graduating with bachelor's degrees and 18 education majors graduating with master's degrees accepted offers made by the various school districts within the Houston area.

"HISD is by far the most popular choice among education majors," Beerstecher said.

Earlier this year, 300 HISD administrative positions were scrapped by Superintendent Frank Petruzielo. Last week, Petruzielo and the school board approved a 5-percent property tax hike, which will account for an additional $17 raise in fees per resident.

Average Scholastic Aptitude Test scores for HISD students, which are generally below the national average, declined even further this year. Increasing discipline and crime problems also plagued the school district, which has a population of about 190,000.

As with the members of the Houston Police Department, HISD teaching faculty have continually voiced their concerns about relatively low salaries and the lack of across-the-board pay raises.

Despite the fact that the district is in a state of flux, these problems are not discouraging significant numbers of UH education majors from applying to teach in the district, Beerstecher said.

Once they have established themselves in HISD, she said some former students had legitimate complaints about discipline and administrative problems, salaries, the burden of paperwork and extra non-teaching responsibilities.

"Teachers have the tremendous responsibility to do everything and teach," she said.

"Some students tell me they are absolutely thrilled about working in HISD. Some say they are getting good training and that their school's administration supports them," Beerstecher said.

Allen Warner, assistant dean of the College of Education, said the "schools need to be a place where teachers are free to teach at least the basic skills and help young people prepare for college and the work place."

He rated HISD as "average," and said his picks for the top three school districts in the area include Spring Branch, Conroe and Humble.

"Nevertheless, out of 250 to 300 former UH students who decide to teach each year, about 80 -- by far, the largest number for any single district -- eventually choose HISD," Warner said.

Warner said education majors can take advantage of other opportunities available in the area of education.

The Texas Center for University-School Partnerships, founded by President Marguerite Ross Barnett, affords students and faculty the opportunity to help improve local schools by lending university expertise, he said.

TCUSP is part of a larger group of 37 colleges and universities nationwide that participate in similar programs.

An example he cited was the partnership with Jack Yates High School, which has resulted in a tutoring program.