CAMPUSES BEAR BRUNT OF FEDERAL CUTS

ADMINISTRATORS CUTTING NON-ACADEMIC FUNCTIONS

OFFICIALS SAY ACADEMIC QUALITY SHOULDN'T BE AFFECTED SERIOUSLY

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

Too bad money doesn't grow on trees.

If it did, colleges and universities wouldn't be so worried -- or so frustrated. They wouldn't be chop-chop-chopping away at their budgets, either.

Financial problems resulting from state and federal cuts are hurting schools from east to west, big to small. Administrators across-the- board are trimming expenses wherever they can with only one general rule of thumb -- under no circumstances eliminate anything that will compromise the quality of education.

Unfortunately, everything else is fair game.

Travel expenses, marching bands, student government associations, faculty pay, custodial and construction jobs, college radio and new computers -- hardly anything is exempt these days as administrators try to plan for the 1992-93 academic year while still recovering -- or falling further into debt -- from 1991-92.

"We've just about reached the limit," said one frustrated academic. Others agree and are trying hard to justify cuts and tuition increases to a student population growing more hostile.

In the past six weeks, students in both Florida and Iowa held statewide protests against massive cuts and tuition increases in the two states.

Iowa students decided to boycott classes for a day, while the Florida students marched on the Capitol and subsequently started a shouting match with Gov. Lawton Chiles.

In other states, protests have gained less attention. Administrators say that for each angry student there is an empathetic one. They add that as long as the cuts do not affect academic programming directly, students will not notice much difference.

The budget cuts "will affect us as a community -- we've had to cut positions," Chris Cihlar, director of public information at St. Mary's College in Maryland, told the student newspaper when a $1.5 million cut was announced. "But from the student's point of view, the cuts will probably not be noticed. You can't sacrifice your main purpose, which is your academic program and your future."

Some of the non-academic cuts across the country include:

The elimination of nearly one-third of the custodial staff at Iowa State, where offices and research laboratories are no longer a part of a daily maintenance cleaning program.

John Sluis, assistant director of facilities management, says the 158-person staff lost 48 people.

"Everyone at the university is aware that the budget is tight," he said. "The service side is doing its part to maintain the academic side ... While no one enjoys it, they've been accepting it."

Iowa State has also trimmed student hours at its campus radio station, WOI-AM and FM, among other cuts.

The University of Nebraska at Lincoln is considering the elimination of its construction division that works much like an independent contractor for the university.

Middle Tennessee State University, under orders from the Tennessee Board of Regents chancellor, has frozen out-of-country travel that is not considered essential.

Essential travel includes trips to professional workshops or trips to conferences at which a professional paper is presented.

That freeze, coupled with a freeze on equipment purchasing for such items as computers, has "enabled us to save enough money to keep everything the same" in 1992-93, says Ramona Rice, Middle Tennessee's budget and systems planning director.

The more than $1.5 million in savings from the freezes will prevent cuts, Rice says.

She adds that about 70 percent of the savings will be reallocated to educational programs.

"We are maybe different because we don't have much fat in our administrative services to cut," Rice said. "So, we don't have as much flexibility" in what the school can eliminate.

At the University of Arizona, administrators eliminated the marching band last year -- a $102,000 cut that was reversed after an outcry. Still, the band only recovered $82,000 in funding from the school and was forced to raise the rest. Among other things, the band sold T-shirts.

At St. Bonaventure University in New York, the student government has had money temporarily taken from its budget until the administration re-evaluates second semester enrollment to determine how much it will return.

Student Government President Ed Garry says all the school's departments are handing over money from accounts and are not spending more than half of their allocated funds before Nov. 30, when the school re-examines its situation.

"To my knowledge, most of the money will be replenished," Garry said. But he adds that drops in enrollment will hurt student organizations because they are funded almost solely by a student activity fee.

"We aren't really facing cuts," he said. "There's just not enough money for us to be as extravagant as we used to be. We're trying to maintain quality without spending as much money."

Allegheny College in Pennsylvania echoes Garry's sentiments. The school is trying to make up for a $1.8 million deficit by freezing faculty salaries this year.

The school's president told the student newspaper, The Campus, that one of Allegheny's long-term goals is to have a high-paid professional staff to attract the nation's best professors.

"It's a setback for a very important goal of ours," he told the paper.

Trying to paint a national picture of the financial situation and subsequent budget cuts at colleges and universities is nearly impossible.

*******************************************************

CRAMPED KUHF SEEKS EXTRA ROOM FOR GROWTH

STATION EYES ROOM CURRENTLY HOUSING HOUSTONIAN OFFICE

BY KATHY ALLEN

A controversy over space allocation between KUHF-FM and the Houstonian yearbook may send the Houstonian looking for a new home.

John Proffitt, KUHF's general manager, has submitted a proposal to the UH Space Allocation Committee to expand the station's quarters by annexing the neighboring 1,100 square feet currently occupied by the Houstonian yearbook staff.

KUHF-FM has grown into the most listened-to public radio station in Texas since it moved into the Communications Building 13 years ago. The number of full-time employees has tripled. But growing pains have come with its success.

The program director, who shares his 12-by-15 foot office with four full-time employees and three part-time employees, finds it awkward to interview prospective employees in front of the others.

Desirable productions have been passed over because time couldn't be scheduled in the single production studio.

The marketing and development director has difficulty holding phone conversations over the din of the stations two computer printers, which are housed in her office for lack of any other space.

The station, which has 16 full-time employees and 15 part-time employees, is housed in 1,500 square feet of space.

The expanded space, totaling about 2,600 square feet, would allow for a second production studio, a new booth, an engineering shop and additional office and work space.

But the expansion would be a short-term solution, providing only temporary relief, Proffitt said. National Association of Broadcasters guidelines suggest that a station of this size and market should have about 8,500 square feet.

Dick Cigler, business director of the Houstonian and The Daily Cougar, sympathizes with KUHF's need for more space.

But Cigler expressed concern about a proposal that would require the Houstonian to move out of the Communications Building, separating it from The Daily Cougar.

The Houstonian yearbook is staffed by 11 student editors. An additional 20-30 students are contributing writers and photographers.

"We cater to students. Our's is totally student-run, with the exception of four staff members," Cigler said. "We try to provide them with an experience they can't get anywhere else."

Senior Vice President of Administration and Finance Thomas Jones, who heads the newly-reorganized Space Allocation Committee, acknowledges that the need for space on campus is acute.

Where there is contention for space, the committee weighs factors such as the relocation costs and the physical needs of both parties in an effort to come up with a win-win solution, Jones said.

One department's need for more space should not result in making the situation worse for another department, Jones said.

Prior to making a decision, the committee has requested a cost estimate to move the Houstonian facilities and Cigler's assessment of the suitability of alternative quarters for the Houstonian.

Cigler has looked at vacant space at the UC, but noted that the Houstonian needs a building that is open 24 hours a day with adequate security and proximity to the printing plant.

But KUHF does not necessarily need to remain on campus, Proffitt said. One of the alternatives in his proposal is to lease space off campus.

On the average, only one or two students work at the station each semester, Proffitt said. Also, talk-show guests and membership campaign volunteers frequently express concern about coming to the UH campus at night.

The station, which is self-supporting and receives no funds from the university, has the financial means to lease space. But officials have opposed Proffitt's proposal to lease temporary space in the past.

"We have been pushing for five years for a decision to be made, for the people up the line to all agree to say this is what has to be done, let's do it. I cannot act unilaterally. If I could, I would pack my bags and everything and we'd be out of here in a week," Proffitt said.

"I'm not saying that I primarily desire to move off campus -- that's not the point -- but that is an option that we offer to the administration as a way of solving the problem."

But, ultimately, Proffitt hopes UH will follow through with a long-term solution that has been proposed in the past to construct a telecommunications facility that would combine KUHF-FM and KUHT-TV.

In addition to dealing with immediate space needs, the Space Allocation Committee is more generally responsible for developing a master plan for the UH campus.

"Unless we can find something that creates more space, we will continue to have this kind of problem," Jones said.

ANGER AND DOMINATION MOTIVATE RAPISTS

DATE RAPISTS FOLLOW SAME PATTERN, EXPERTS SAY

(CPS) -- Maybe you know him.

He's one of those guys who has no respect for women -- in relationships, one of the partners has to lose, he says. He's a hedonist, known for his sexual prowess. Monogamy is not in his vocabulary. His friends support his sexual conquests -- indeed, they are usually like him, discussing the latest encounter in the lockerroom or before class.

He's macho. He's a guy who likes power, who craves danger, who is aggressive. He sometimes picks fights. He often drinks alcohol and uses other drugs. He has little respect for society.

"These are the ones that are the pathogens, that may drop out of school, beat their wives and kids and abuse substances," says Barry Burkhart. "These are the men committing 90 percent of the crimes."

The crimes are sexual assaults on college campuses -- date and gang rapes.

Burkhart knows all about the men who commit these crimes -- he is a professor of psychology at Auburn University who is nationally recognized for his research on the characteristics of sexual aggression.

"Men who rape aren't raping for sex," Burkhart says. "It's a pseudo-sexual act expressing power and anger...Rapists don't rape for sex like alcoholics don't drink because they're thirsty."

Burkhart says that studies show a strong relationship between men on college campuses who commit date rape and those in prison for rape.

"The primary difference between hidden and regular rapists is a difference of degree and relationship," he says. "The surest way to get caught is to rape a stranger. Men who offend in a courtship situation are rarely caught."

A comparison of three types of men -- rapists in prison, men who say they have pressured a woman to have sex against her will and non-rapists -- found that the group in the middle shared characteristics with the first group but not with the last group.

Rapists show violence and anger and express the need for power and domination. They perceive women as adversaries, so they fuse their aggressions with sex.

In looking at arousal patterns, one study showed that rapists in prison had high levels of sexual arousal when they watched videos of both consensual sex and rape scenes. The college men who say they forced a woman to have sex against her will gave responses that matched the ones given by the rapists in prison.

Non-rapists became aroused only when watching videos of consensual sex.

"Men as part of the masculine sex role are encouraged to be sexually demanding," Burkhart says. "But half of all men don't pinch, fondle or rape -- there are cultural factors, there are inhibiting factors."

Burkhart says tht the college men who say they had sex with a woman against her will come primarily from higher socio-economic classes. Because they believe in rape myths -- "Nice girls don't get raped," or "She wanted it" -- they don't see their acts as wrong.

"They say they did it to get laid, but the real meaning of sex to them is power, anger and domination," Burkhart says.

JOINING OF NEW CENTER, GYM MAY SAVE WATER OAKS

BY ANTON P. MONTANO

Concerned students are hoping the proposed construction of a $25 million athletic training facility behind Hofheinz Pavilion will save a stand of water oak and hickory trees from the bulldozer at the corner of Cullen and Elgin.

Current plans for the training facility and the nearly $6.5 million proposed Alumni Center to complement each other would move the alumni center's construction site away from the disputed trees and closer to the training facility.

"Whenever the gift was announced for the athletic center, it began to impact the proposed construction of the Alumni Center," said John Scales, vice chancellor of institutional advancement of the UH system.

"All the original plans at this point are giving way to the concept of finding the best way for the two facilities to relate to one another," Scales said.

Geoffrey Wheeler, the third-year architecture student who organized a Nov. 1 protest at the proposed construction site of the Alumni Center, said the trees are still endangered because no plans have been finalized.

"If the plans for the athletic facility are not approved, we would have failed in our efforts to save the trees," Wheeler said.

Wheeler said UH alumnus LeRoy Melcher, the major contributor to the alumni center, and architect Pleas Doyle told him Nov. 6 that the training center would cover parts of existing tennis courts, soccer and baseball fields.

Melcher could not be reached for comment.

"The problem is that saving the trees totally relies on where the athletic center goes," Wheeler said.

Scales said the corner of Cullen and Elgin was valuable because it was a highly-visible entrance of the university.

Frank Holmes, executive director of alumni affairs, said the final site of the Alumni Center had not been decided, but the current site may not be used.

"I think there's an 80 percent chance that we won't use that corner," Holmes said. "But I'd feel terrible saying we weren't going to use that corner and then end up finally using it."

Holmes said people concerned about the destruction of the trees should realize that original plans for the center were designed to enhance, rather than destroy the natural beauty of the corner.

"The worst case scenario is that 12 trees will be either moved or removed," Holmes said.

A UH grounds maintenance survey says the site is occupied by 58 trees. Eleven of the trees are water oak, 16 are pine oak and 20 are hickory trees.

Raymond Dale, UH grounds manager, said the area was a unique site of naturally-occuring trees that began growing in the midst of World War II.

"The 20 hickory trees are some 50 years old and can live more than 300 years," Dale said. "There is no other wooded area on the campus with trees like the ones at this site. And moving any trees would probably be too costly.

"I feel the planners will take into consideration the unique value of the hickories and other old trees on this site before finalizing a building," Dale said.

Holmes said original plans for the Alumni Center include: working with existing trees to landscape down to Hofheinz, planting two to three trees for every tree removed and planting a row of live oak trees along Elgin to the Gulf Freeway.

"We want to preserve the natural wooded setting," Holmes said. "We don't want this to appear like we're going to cut trees and then pave them over with concrete."

STUDENT LOANS COULD BECOME EASIER TO GET UNDER PROPOSAL

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

If two senators have their way, there could be more money and less hassle for students trying to get college loans -- and when it's time to collect, the IRS can do the job.

In an annual bipartisan proposal to overhaul federal student aid programs by U.S. Sens. Dave Durenberger (R-Minn.) and Paul Simon (D-Ill.), existing federal guaranteed student loan programs would be replaced with a new program that ties loan repayment to post-college income.

"Federal student aid programs need a fundamental overhaul," Durenburger said in introducing the "Financial Aid for All Students Act of 1991" on Oct. 22. The proposal would eliminate most of the money that the Higher Education Act promises to banks. Instead, scholarships would be offered for top students, Pell grants would be increased and loans would be granted directly to students.

The proposal follows a report by the General Accounting Office that said replacing the GSL program with direct loans could save the government $620 million to $1.47 billion a year.

The sweeping proposal, which would begin in the 1994-95 academic year, would enable students, regardless of income, to receive up to $6,500 in loans for the first two years, $8,000 for the last two years and up to $11,000 per year for graduate students.

When students complete their education, they would make payments, depending on size of income, to an education loan account through increased income tax withholding by their employer.

The Durenburger-Simon proposal is currently being offered as an amendment before the Senate Education and Labor Subcommittee, which is working on reauthorization of the Higher Education Act.

Not everyone is happy with the Durenburger-Simon proposal. Education Secretary Lamar Alexander opposed direct loan programs in a letter to U.S. Rep. William Ford (D-Mich.) earlier in October.

Alexander says the programs would increase the current federal debt by more than $10 billion per year and would eliminate risk-sharing features that the current loans system has to help insure efficient loan servicing.

STUDY SHOWS MOST COLLEGIANS IN PROCESS OF BEREAVEMENT

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

College life, most would agree, is hardly the smoothest of life's transitions. According to a Kansas State University professor, it's not the happiest for many, either.

David Balk says he was surprised to find that many college students are grieving the deaths of family members and friends.

When Balk surveyed Kansas State University students about their lifestyles in 1990, he discovered that 28 percent of the students reported that a family member had died in the previous 12 months.

The professor of human development and family studies was so astonished by his findings that he ran a second survey -- this time, with a different set of students. The results were the same. Further, 45 percent of those surveyed reported losing a family member in the previous 24 months.

Both of Balk's surveys also reflected that 44 percent of the students said that a friend had died in the previous 12 months, and a whopping 66 percent reported the death of a friend in the previous 24 months.

The professor believes the unspoken reality of grief is a hidden problem on most U.S. campuses. "I would be very surprised to find that KSU had a much higher, or lower incidence than other campuses," he said.

Balk, who received a grant to conduct a two-year study through the National Institute of Mental Health, says he is interested in finding out how college students cope with the death of a family member or friend, and how the grieving process can be made easier for them.

Many students don't believe they have an outlet to sort through their feelings, he said.

The professor, surprised at the number of students who responded to an advertisement placed in the school newspaper, formed several social support groups, run by graduate assistants, that met twice weekly for four weeks.

The groups were so successful that students requested that they remain together after the project study was completed.

"The group seems to have a positive effect. They said they appreciated the experience, though at the time it is very painful," Balk said. "One of the things is that they learn they don't have to keep such tight control. It's okay to start feeling and get upset."

Other students who have not experienced loss are separate from the bereavement study also are being studied. The control group has been evaluated on stress, and the results are compared with those in the bereavement group.

Balk said he thinks students who have suffered a loss develop more resources than those who haven't. "I suspect there are changes in people, and (the death) becomes a major reference point, and they return to it again and again."

Although people sympathize with a bereaved student, Balk said outsiders often underestimate the intensity or duration of grief.

"The idea of being over it completely in a year is just not true," said the professor, who also says that some students found the study too painful to participate.

Balk, often referred to teasingly as "Dr. Death," says he would like to pursue a study on how the grieving process changes people.

"I'd like to help identify changes, like moral development, or career choice changes. One of the things that has emerged is the immune system is very vulnerable during grieving. We even have a lower blood count."

The professor says that people in this sociey are often impatient with the grieving process.

"We expect to get things resolved in minutes," he said. "We are unwilling to spend time on things."

SUPER DAVE PERFORMS HEROICALLY -- AGAIN

BY JAVIER GONZALEZ

Coach John Jenkins called him gallant.

His teammates called him a competitor.

Rice players called him the commander in chief, but he's just David. As in quarterback David Klingler.

Klingler came off the bench in relief of a struggling Donald Douglas, and in two quarters threw for 395 yards and five touchdowns, to lead the Cougars to a 41-21 win over the Rice Owls.

Jenkins said it was the best performance by a quarterback he's ever seen.

Since the Texas game, Klingler has been bothered by a groin pull and a hip injury. During warm-ups he told Jenkins he would not be able to play.

"When he told me he couldn't go, it was like Mrs. Lincoln at the theater yelling `there's been an accident,' " Jenkins said.

But Klingler could not bear to watch his teammates fall behind. He loosened to the point where he told Jenkins he was ready.

Klingler proceeded to throw three touchdown passes in three straight Cougar possessions, including a 60-yard bomb to receiver Verlond Brown, which opened the flood gates.

In his two quarters of play, Klingler set four Southwest Conference passing records.

He had 1,129 career passing attempts, breaking the old mark of 1,121 by Rice's Randy Hertel; he set a passing mark of 8,468 career passing yards, breaking Andre Ware's old record of 8,202; he broke his own record of 76 touchdowns by updating the mark to 81; and he broke Ware's old mark of 8,058 yards total offense, Klingler has 8,410.

Even with his record-breaking performance, Klingler refuses to take any credit.

"The offensive line did a great job of pass protection," Klingler said. "I thought Daniel Adams played real well, and the defense played really good today."

Klingler didn't critize Douglas, who he replaced in the second quarter. He said Douglas was thrown into an emergency situation and he wasn't able to get ready, but he's going to be great.

"David gave us a good spark offensively," Jenkins said. "It was like an atom bomb falling on the Rice Owls. It was another Cougar kind of day."

Klingler's passing performance was something to marvel at, but his courage to stay in the pocket and wait until the last minute to throw the ball was something else.

The Cougars had to call timeout on three different occassions because Klingler could not get up in time to run another play.

The field general would wait until the last second to unload the ball, while a Rice defender would unload into his ribs.

Jenkins and the Cougars' bench would hold their breath every time Klingler was sprawled on the Rice Stadium carpet. Forunately for Houston, he kept getting up.

"That's why Klingler was up for the Heisman before the season began," Rice outside linebacker Alonzo Williams said. "He's a tough guy. It's going to take a lot more than we got to knock him out of the game.

"He's (Klingler) simply amazing," Rice nose guard Matt Sign said. "He's what makes Houston win."

With tremendous back-to-back performances, Klingler might have to do it again next week against Texas Christian at Fort Worth. Jenkins said his quarterback is listed as probable against the Horned Frogs.

Klingler said he doesn't know how he's going to feel next Saturday, but he'll be there, injured or not.

Hail to the Chief.

STUDY SCIENCE AS EXCHANGE STUDENT IN ITALY

UH, UNIVERSITY OF UDINE LAUNCH MASTERS EXCHANGE PROGRAM

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

A new co-operative, exchange-based master's degree program got its official start on Monday, and while it has been going on for about a year and has roughly 25 European students studying at UH, to date no U.S. students have gone overseas.

Goffredo Pieroni, a former full-time UH professor and currently a visiting associate professor, created and directs the program.

"The objective of this joint master degree is the education of persons with an undergraduate degree in some scientific discipline, especially computer science, mathematics, physics and engineering with the aim of earning the degree of master of science in computer science from UH," said Pieroni, who is also a faculty member of the University of Udine.

This co-operative master's degree program in computer science between UH and the University of Udine in Pordenone, Italy, is the first international program in computer science between UH and a foreign country.

The 25 students who are participating in the program are from Italy, Yugoslavia, Hungary and India. Pieroni said he hopes next year the group will also include students from Czechoslovakia. The program is designed to accommodate as many as 30 students.

Pieroni explained the reasons behind the formation of the program, citing Italy's growing GNP, now on par with Great Britain, and the fact that the area around Udine is the fastest developing region in Italy.

Pieroni said the European students participating in the program receive full scholarship support from the northeastern regional government of Italy, the Italian national government, Italian private business and the European Economic Community. However, American students wishing to go abroad would have to provide for their own room, board and books, but the program would take care of tuition and fees for the students.

Pieroni said the main reason no American students have participated in the program thus far is most likely because it has not advertised as extensively as it should have been here in the states.

Commenting on what UH gets out of the program, Pieroni said, "It is an exchange in terms of contacts and joint research."

Willis King, chairman of the computer science department, said this program will make its graduates very appealing to employers both in Europe and the United States.

"After they complete their training at the University of Houston, the students will be highly sought after in the computer industry when they go back to their countries of origin. However, United States companies doing business in those countries may also find these students very attractive since they are not only technically competent, but will also be fluent in at least two languages," King said.

Students interested in finding out more about the program should contact Pieroni in the department of computer science.

Luigi Suardi, a second-year graduate student in the program from Bergamo, Italy, said while the program was not a part of his original scholastic plans, he believes it will benefit him a lot. However, he does think improvements could be made.

"Since it is so new, maybe they could improve it from an organizational stand point," he said.

RACIAL REMARKS NOT ENOUGH TO UNSEAT BLACK STUDIES HEAD

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

The trustees of City University of New York have decided to allow the head of the Black Studies Department at City College to remain in his position for one year despite racially inflammatory remarks he made last summer.

The trustees said professor Leonard Jeffries will stay as head of the department until June, 1992. He started in June, 1991. Usually, the chairmanship lasts for a three-year term.

City College did not issue a statement on the situation and would not comment. Neither Jeffries nor his attorney, C. Vernon Mason, would return phone calls.

Prior to the trustees' vote, Mason said he would challenge any limit on Jeffries' term as chairman.

Jeffries outraged some city and state politicians in July when he told an audience at a black arts festival that Jews and the Italian mafia worked together to control Hollywood and plotted to destroy black Americans. He also told the crowd, "the white boy can't be trusted."

Students from several New York City schools rallied in support of Jeffries while the trustees decided his fate on Oct. 28.

A little more than a week before that date, the professor reportedly made more offensive comments to an editor at the Harvard Crimson.

Eliot Morgan, the editor who has been bombarded with phone calls about the incident, has not been available for comment since an interview with New York Newsday, a student reporter at the Crimson said.

According to that Newsday story, Morgan said Jeffries told him that Henry Lewis Gates, Jr., chairman of Harvard's African-American Studies Department, was "a faggot and a punk," and accused a black professor at San Jose State University of having his opinions affected because his wife and mother are both white.

Morgan added that Jeffries stopped the interview when he found out that the Crimson staff was predominantly Jewish.

Newsday reported that a bodyguard took Morgan's tape of the interview, and Jeffries warned the student, "If I hear this again, I'll kill you."

In a similar incident involving racial comments and a student newspaper, the University of Kansas on Oct. 28 placed its affirmative action director on indefinite administrative leave after the Daily Kansan reported that Jim Turner, during an interview, referred to a woman as a "fat Indian chick" and called a male law professor "just a faggot anyway."

The editor of the paper did not immediately return phone calls, nor did Turner, but according to an article in the local newspaper, the Lawrence Daily Journal-World, Turner said the story was "a complete fabrication, and I`m not speaking to reporters until I get to the bottom of it."

The Daily Kansan story involved an interview with Turner about his alleged involvement with a man arrested for murdering a 40-year-old Lawrence, Kan. man by beating him with a golf club. The man accused of the crime told police that Turner sold him cocaine in a house where the beating later took place. Turner has denied even knowing the defendant.

The university plans to investigate Turner's remarks while he remains on paid leave.

"We deplore the type of language attributed to Mr. Turner," said Del Shankel, executive vice chancellor for the University of Kansas Lawrence, in the university's written response to the situation.

RICE KLINGLERIZED

COOGS BOMB COBB, OWLS 41-21

BY JAVIER GONZALEZ

Houston quarterback David Klingler came off the bench to throw for 395 yards and five touchdowns,

to lead the Cougars to a 41-21 win over the Rice Owls last Saturday.

Houston runs its record to 4-5, while Rice falls to 4-6.

A crowd of 22,800 at Rice Stadium saw the Owls jumps off to a quick 14-0 lead on a two-yard touchdown run by running back Trevor Cobb and a nine-yard touchdown run by quarterback Josh LaRocca.

Because of a pulled groin muscle and a hip injury, Klingler told Head Coach Jenkins during warmups he couldn't play. Jenkins started back-up quarterback Donald Douglas instead.

After three ineffective drives by the Cougars, Klingler inserted himself into the ballgame at the start of the second quarter.

The Owls are still wondering what happened to them in that 15 minutes.

Klingler, injured and all, took the Cougars 63 yards on five plays, including a 60-yard rocket to receiver Verlond Brown who highstepped down the sideline for a touchdown.

Houston never looked back.

Klingler followed with a three-yard touchdown pass to Brown and a 17-yard touchdown toss to freshman receiver Daniel Adams.

By the end of the first half the Cougars had built a 21-14 lead.

"We got behind and I had to get in," Klingler said. "I got protection, sometimes I had like eight to 10 seconds to throw. It was just like old times."

The hobbled quarterback's performance didn't stop in the first half.

Following an Owls' fumble at their 24-yard line, Klingler found inside receiver Tracy Good wide open for a 24-yard touchdown strike on the first play of the drive.

At the end of the third quarter, Klingler took to the air for the last of his five-touchdown performance. He threw a bullet to receiver Marcus Grant for a 21-yard touchdown, making the score 34-14.

"It just goes to show you what a competitor he is," Jenkins said about Klingler's performance. "Two weeks back-to-back. What a gallant performance."

To add poetic justice to the game, after struggling in the first quarter, Douglas returned in the fourth to throw a 17-yard touchdown pass to inside receiver Freddie Gilbert.

Rice added a late score on a 15-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Randall Schultz to tight end Tim Winn. The final score stood at 41-21.

Houston's Mad Dog defense held Cobb from getting his usual game average of 160 yards. Most important the Cougars caused four turnovers and stopped Rice on a crucial fourth down at the Houston five while the game was still in doubt.

Following the defensive stand, Klingler drove the Cougars 95 yards on seven plays in 1:49, connecting with Adams to give Houston the lead for good at 21-14.

"After I made the tackle, I looked back at their bench and saw a lot of guys hang their heads," said Cougar defensive tackle James Bevil, who threw Cobb for a one-yard loss to give Houston the ball on downs.

Houston's chances of going to the Aloha Bowl were dashed when the Stanford Cardinal defeated the Washington State Cougars.

FICTION: CELLULOID VIGNETTE

BY DOG SIMMS

Ragon said (another revelation from God), "I am a unique individual."

We were standing in line, waiting for the movie. We had our coats on. It was cold, and I was with her. I was standing in line with her, waiting to see this movie.

Then she said, "I have my own thoughts, my own beliefs, my own opinions ..."

I hadn't wanted to see this movie, but Ragon had insisted that it was a good movie. A lot of people had insisted that it was a good movie, and they were all here, standing in line with their coats on in the cold in the night. I was listening to Ragon, and seeing my reflection in the storefront window that stood beside us.

Then she laughed, "I'm just bursting with originality. I am a budding flower!"

And we were all standing there. All of us huddling together, alone in pairs, shuffling our feet. All of us waiting, watching ourselves watch each other, staring at our reflections, waiting with our coats on, staring at the street lamp, watching our breath in the cold air, watching it, watching it, watching it, watching our breath cut into the cold air with calculated regularity.

Then she crooned, her face a horizontal spasm of teeth and lipstick, "Thank you, God, for making me different!"

I was looking around, looking at the faces, looking at my reflection, watching my hands get red in the cold air, watching my useless hands turning red and numb in the cold air, and Ragon, stupid Ragon, stupid innocent Ragon, and all this talk talk talk, and my thick numb useless hands. I hit her square in the stomach.

"There," I said, "now you are different."

She didn't cry. She sat there. She was on the sidewalk, holding her stomach, and looking at me. Yeah, she was looking at me. I got down on one knee like some priest or something. I got right down in her face.

I said, "I hit you."

She didn't say anything. No one said anything. She got up, she stood up, and we all stood there just like before. Everyone stood there, and no one said anything.

TOMAHAWK CHEER'S OFFENSIVENESS CONTESTED

NATIVE AMERICANS SAY SPORTS ICONS PORTRAY THEM NEGATIVELY

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

To most sports fans it may seem like a simple, if at times irritating, way to deride opposing teams, but to some Native Americans, the tomahawk chop is more like a personal foul.

The cheer -- which consists of a repeated karate chop motion and a war cry that could be straight from a Hollywood western -- was invented by Florida State University fans more than a decade ago, but reached its peak of popularity this year among followers of the pennant-winning Atlanta Braves.

Native American activists protested the Braves fad, labeling the cheer an offensive stereotype that promotes the image of American Indians being savage.

Because they were in the World Series, the Braves controversy earned widespread media coverage, but American Indian Movement member Jan Elliot said insulting Indians is nothing new to college or professional sports.

"It's just ridiculous," said Elliot, editor of Indigenous Thoughts, a national Native American newspaper. "Suppose people dressed up their mascots as Jews or blacks or whatever. There would be a national outcry."

Nicknames such as the "Braves" evoke inaccurate visions of warlike cultures, while "Redskins" is obviously a racial pejorative, Elliott argues.

Of the 469 schools listed in the American College Regalia Handbook, more than two dozen have team names derived from Native American cultures, the most common moniker being simply the "Indians."

One of those schools is Florida State, nicknamed the Seminoles, where games feature a mascot named after the tribe's 19th century leader, Chief Osceola. The mascot Osceola wears fearsome-looking warpaint and prowls the sideline on horseback, often with a burning spear.

And, of course, his performance is accompanied by the crowd's enthusiastic tomahawk chop.

"Everyone does it now, but we did it first -- there's no doubt about it," said Gerry Gilmer, an FSU spokesman. Gilmer said campus officials were aware of the recent complaints from American Indian factions, but he said his school has no plans to discourage the cheer.

"We keep in very close touch with the Seminole tribe, and they haven't expressed any problem with the cheer," Gilmer said. "We aren't real interested in what the American Indian Movement says. It's the Seminoles who matter to us."

Another campus where officials cite concern for input from Native Americans on matters of nickname portrayal is Miami University in Ohio, said Richard Little, the school's associate vice president.

"In our case, we work very closely with the Miami Indian tribe to make sure we portray them in a dignified and proper manner," said Little, whose school nickname is the "Redskins."

Little said Miami University has signed three treaties with its namesake tribe since 1972, each an agreement that he said ensures the 1,300 members that their heritage will not be treated capriciously.

The university keeps a tight rein on any merchandising that protrays the school's nickname and the tribe also provides input on the wardrobe and dances of the team mascot, Chief Miami.

"And we ask our fans not to do the tomahawk cheer, although, you know, some still do," Little said. "Overall there's a lot of pride that goes both ways between the university and the tribe. I think the (Atlanta) Braves could learn something from us."

SYSTEM WORKERS MAY GET NEW INSURANCE CARRIER

STATE INSURANCE PLAN WOULD SAVE EMPLOYEES MONEY

BUT ONCE IN THIS PLAN, THERE'S NO GETTING OUT OF IT

The UH System has until April 1, 1992 to decide whether to change its 6,000 employees' insurance carrier or stay with the one they have -- and the decision made will be final.

During the last session, legislation was passed allowing the UH System to stay with its own health care insurance or opt to join the Employees Retirement System (ERS), which administers benefits for State of Texas employees. While professors and teachers are state employees, the ERS does not administer to teachers. A separate plan, the Teacher Retirement System, does this.

Saudra Wiley, the UH System director for benefits, policy and planning addressed a university assembly with more than 250 faculty, staff and administrators Monday, informed them about the ERS plan and fielded questions.

"We as a group can never get out unless there was a legislative change in the state law. If we go into ERS, we go in with all the health plans -- take the entire or none," Wiley said.

This year the ERS is undergoing a complete reconfiguration, she said, and has asked the system for its input.

The ERS is taking bids from different health plans, so Wiley was unable to tell the audience precisely what the savings available with this plan will be.

The logical assumption she said, is that in most cases the cost will be less, but not in all parts of the ERS plan.

"The ERS intent, although not a commitment, is when the benefits are less, ERS will make every intent to bring up its level. This is not a commitment to bring cost down," Wiley said.

ERS is being completely redesigned and is seeking bids for a "managed care plan"(MCP), which will be effective Sept. 1, 1992. This plan will offer "in network" and "out of network" benefits although the MCP plan has not received final approval.

The "in network" benefits will be paid at the 90 percent reimbursement level. An employee chooses a "primary care physician" who will determine whether or not tests and other procedures are necessary.

The "out of network" benefit will be paid at 70 percent reimbursement level and provides freedom of choice of physicians and services, she said.

Since they are taking bids, she could not tell the audience what the health plan rates will be, although, she said, they are substantially less than now and will probably remain less than the system's insurance.

One member of the audience questioned the quality of the doctors. Wiley replied that a primary care physician is not a specialist, although the physicians are probably better because of the location in an urban area.

ERS will offer health maintenance organization (HMO) coverage although she said it has not been determined whether or not the HMOs will be the one currently offered. Currently the HMO rate plan offered by ERS is less than the system's.

Physics professor George Reiter was disappointed specific differences were not shown. "The bottom line is basic insurance is much cheaper in the ERS. None of the real benefits were presented in detail," Reiter said.

Reiter said the major difference, which should have been presented, was the difference in cost for families, which he said is significantly less by almost half.

"She implied they might be higher than they are now, but if the UH System joins ERS, it will be a larger pool and the jobs are safer. ERS represents a savings of 40 to 60 percent for better coverage," Reiter said.

Another expensive part of ERS triggered questions from the audience concerning higher life insurance premiums for older faculty and staff.

Employees now pay for their life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment based on a blended rate, but the ERS bases theirs on a "age rated" basis -- the older you are, the greater amount you pay.

This change will mean that about one third of employees will pay more for life insurance and AD&D, however, she said, 75 percent will pay less. "Some will pay substantially more and some will pay substantially less," Wiley said.

With the system's current plan B, employees receive $5,000 of life insurance at no charge. ERS provides $4,000 in life insurance at no charge however, ERS has indicated it might increase to $5,000. ERS also includes at no charge, dependent life insurance for $4,000 she said.

ERS offers an optional short term disability benefit, which is something the current insurance carrier doesn't provide. Basically this is salary insurance for a shorter illness that is five months or less, Wiley said. It requires an employee contribution and provides a maximum of 60 percent of salary continuance when paid sick leave has expired and before the long term benefits are available.

Currently, ERS' long term benefits are higher than the system's. Wiley said ERS is reviewing this option and she hopes the benefits are enhanced and the cost will come down.

The system insurance provides a maximum benefit of 60 percent of the salary up to $4,200. ERS also provides a maximum benefit of 60 percent but only up to $1,800. Wiley said the LTD for ERS cost three times the amount UH charges for about one half the benefit.