FORT WORTH SHOOTOUT UNLIKELY

BY JASON LUTHER

With Houston quarterback David Klingler and TCU quarterback Matt Vogler nursing injuries, it's unlikely Saturday's matchup will produce the same kind of shootout as last year's 56-35 Cougar win.

In seven games of limited action during the 1991 campaign, Vogler has compiled only 637 yards passing, 23 yards less than the then-NCAA record 690 yards he tossed against UH in one game last season.

Klingler hasn't come close to the 563 yards he threw for against TCU since the 510 yards he compiled against Louisiana Tech in the season opener.

Both quarterbacks are listed as questionable and should see limited, if any, action.

However, Vogler is the Frogs' backup quarterback, and third-string quarterback Darren Shultz is also injured and listed as questionable.

Last week against Texas, TCU Coach Jim Wacker had to dust off sophomore walk-on Dennis Larson to run the offense, and it showed as the Frogs were shut out 32-0 in Austin.

Houston Coach John Jenkins has a more reliable stable of backups with Donald Douglas and Chandler Evans. Klingler and his brother Jimmy are suffering from the flu.

The quarterback problems at TCU have been the most influential factor in taking them out of the race for the Southwest Conference title.

The Frogs won five out of their first six games this season, averaging nearly 33 points in each. With Vogler out or playing injured, TCU has lost three out of its last four, averaging barely over eight points each contest.

With no experienced trigger man for TCU's triple-shoot offense, the Frogs may continue their scoring problems against a much-improved Houston defense Saturday in Fort Worth.

*******************************************************

UHPD SUSPECTS ARSON IN MUSICAL INSTRUMENT BLAZEW

OFFICIALS SAY FIRE BEGAN IN STACK OF READING MATERIAL

BY ANDY KRUG

A fire damaging instruments in the percussion room of the Fine Arts Building early Wednesday morning is now being blamed on arson, UHPD officials said Thursday.

UH Police Chief Frank Cempa said campus police received a call at 1:18 a.m., from a student who smelled smoke in the building.

When fire fighters arrived on the scene, they determined the blaze started in a set of magazines or periodicals, then spread, Cempa said. The fire was contained within the percussion room.

Cempa said officials are still investigating the fire, and he hopes people will come forward with more information about it. "We can't offer a reward," he said, "but any knowledge of the fire would help our investigation."

Charred remains of drum cases, symbols and tympanies had not been removed from the area Thursday.

UH Orchestra Conductor Adrian Gnamn said the smell of the fire has reached his office on the second floor of the building. He added that nearly all the instruments housed in the room were either damaged by the blaze or by water from the sprinkler system.

"We've had to borrow instruments from Rice for tomorrow night's (faculty and student ensemble) concert," Gnamn said.

Gnamn also said he could not yet put a dollar amount on the replacement cost of the damaged instruments and building.

Percussion major Raymond Turner said when he got to school Wednesday morning, the first thing he noticed was a burned drum.

"When I walked around to the room, I noticed a burned drum sitting in the grass near the walkway," he said. "It was an old drum that was used as a trash bin in the percussion room."

Turner said orchestra members borrowed drum sets from Spring and DeWitt High Schools for practice and performances. They may have to depend on the borrowed equipment for the rest of the semester, he said.

Janitor Anthony Starghill said he locked the door to the percussion room at 11 p.m. Tuesday, at the completion of his shift. He said whoever set the fire must have broken the lock to get in the room, which has only one entrance.

Starghill said his supervisor has told the crew that, until otherwise notified, the area is to be considered off limits.

GIFT HELPS MORE THAN CAMPUS

RIVER BLINDNESS TREATMENT IN PLANNING

BY AMIE KLANKE

The controversial donation John and Rebecca Moores have given UH extends far from the campus.

Other than the $25 million donation to the UH Athletic Department, the Moores' donated 300,000 shares of stock in BMC software to the River Blindness Foundation, currently valued at about $14 million.

"The reports that the gift was for $11.5 million were based on the value of the stock at that time. It is now worth more than that," said William Baldwin, president of RBF and former dean of the College of Optometry.

John Moores founded the organization in March 1990 in Houston. Mark Jacox, vice president of RBF, said Moores first learned about river blindness in an article in the Houston Chronicle.

"Mr. Moores decided on Feb. 27, 1990 to start the foundation. On March 1, 1990, RBF was chartered," Baldwin said.

The foundation was created to prevent blindness and alleviate suffering caused by onchocerciasis, commonly known as river blindness. RBF's main objective is to administer the treatment for river blindness to victims and others at risk.

Jacox left his position as assistant vice president at UH to work for RBF. Also, Robert Rice, former professor of optometry, is now the activity director for Latin and Central America. Baldwin said two or three graduates of the College of Optometry are working for RBF as well.

River blindness is one of the leading causes of blindness in 36 countries, primarily in equatorial regions. Most of the cases occur in tropical Africa, the southern Arabian peninsula and parts of South and Central America.

It is caused by an infection of a parasitic nematode worm spread by a black fly. The worm, which can live up to 15 years, becomes encapsulated under the skin and produces numerous larvae, or microfilaria, which invade tissues producing severe itching, lesions and often blindness.

In 1986, the World Health Organization estimated that 18 million people suffer from river blindness. About 96 percent of those cases occured in African nations and another 86 million people were at risk of becoming infected with river blindness, WHO reported.

"Our mission is to see the disease eliminated as a public health problem," Baldwin said.

Today, 750,000 people are blind as a result of river blindness and almost as many are afflicted with impaired vision.

Merck Sharp & Dohme Inc. developed a drug called Mectizan, or ivermectin, which does not kill the parasite, but deactivates the microfilaria. For effective treatment, a dose must be given annually for 10 years.

"It is difficult to develop a vaccine for a parasitic infection. So far, no vaccine has been successful against helminth infestations. Ivermectin has been in use for more than 20 years against parasitic infections in animals. It was approved for this use in humans in the late '80s. This is the only authorized human use of ivermectin.

"It is most commonly used by veterinarians to treat heartworm disease in dogs and other parasitic infections in animals," Baldwin said.

Merck has agreed to supply ivermectin, free of charge, as long as necessary to organizations appropriately treating and preventing river blindness.

RBF will use the gift from the Moores' to help fund current efforts in Nigeria, where one-third of all river blindness cases occur. Volunteers are working with Nigerians to find effective ways to distribute ivermectin in the states of Imo and Bendel.

Preliminary discussions with the World Health Organization and the World Bank are currently under way to start a trust fund for distribution of ivermectin.

"We are going to Saudi Arabia next month to meet the World Bank regarding setting up a trust fund. We estimate that $100 million will be required to deal with the problem throughout Africa," Baldwin said.

Last September, RBF moved it's headquarters from the UH campus to Sugar Land. Baldwin said the move took place because Moores has operations in Sugar Land, and he wanted to maintain his active role in the foundation.

"Without the gift, there would be no foundation. We wouldn't be able to do any of this," Jacox said.

While RBF is not a research organization, it does support research efforts. A project to find a drug to kill the parasite is currently under way.

TECHNOLOGY MISHANDLES $30K, RAISES SUSPICIONS

CENTER FAILED TO FOLLOW UNIVERSITY POLICY REGARDING TIME SHEETS, OTHER EXPENSES

The College of Technology has lost $30,000, to date, due to mismanagement by the former director of the Center for Applied Technology, university officials said.

Katy Greenwood, the center's former director, failed to follow university and federal policy in paying a temporary service, resulting in the $30,000 loss, said Julie Norris, vice president for sponsored programs.

Norris said after five months of sorting receipts in an intensive review of contracts issued to the Center for Applied Technology from the Texas Department of Commerce, she found evidence of mishandling of time sheets and other expenditures.

"Greenwood and the center did things outside of the university guidelines," Norris said. "University projects all come through this office and that did not happen -- I knew nothing about these."

Norris said there were about 24 people working for Quest Temporaries whose time sheets were questionable, with double billing, lack of identification or unsubstantiated overtime.

Because of these inaccuracies, Norris said she couldn't charge the amount ($30,000) to TDOC. Because of Greenwood's carelessness, the expenditures would have been rejected.

However, these were not the only suspicious items the university found, Norris said, and all of the center's expenses have yet to be accounted for.

Norris said she learned Greenwood's company, the Institute for Education and Work Inc., had contracted work for TDOC at a site in San Antonio where the Center for Applied Technology had contracted with TDOC for invoices of $22,000.

"We learned about it (Greenwood's Institute) when TDOC casually commented to me that we (TDOC) have invoices from Greenwood's company. If nothing else, it posed a question to us and TDOC of a conflict of interest," Norris said.

She said the university was unaware that Greenwood's company had contracted work with TDOC while she was the director in the Center for Applied Technology.

"She exercised incredibly poor judgment -- she did not handle the contracts in accordance with university policy," Norris said.

According to the original agreement between TDOC and the Center for Applied Technology, the center contracted under five rapid-response agreements issued by the Texas Department of Commerce to help unemployed state workers find new employment, Norris said. After a TDOC change of leadership, Norris said, TDOC stopped payment on these five contracts and came back to the university, stating they wanted further documentation on the original arrangement.

Greenwood combined all the project expenses in one single account, Norris said. She added that there are strict rules and regulations in handling state and federal funds through individual accounts -- to which Greenwood didn't adhere.

But Greenwood said all of the accusations against her are unfounded and that the center's agreement in San Antonio was not a rapid-response contract as Norris said, but a letter of agreement.

"One of Norris' problems is that she wanted everything going through her department," Greenwood said. But this type of agreement, she said, should not have gone to Norris' office.

"No one, in my five years, had ever told me it was unacceptable. If we were not supposed to operate out of one account, why didn't the dean of technology or the university ever tell me?" Greenwood said.

Greenwood maintains that no one fully understands what a rapid-response contract is or anything else the center did under her leadership.

She said no questions were asked until the change in management in TDOC, which occurred when Gov. Ann Richards replaced Bill Clements.

FLU BUG INFECTS CITY, SHOTS AREN'T QUICK FIX

BY REBECCA MCPHAIL

A flu epidemic is running rampant across the city, and UH students have a good chance of contracting the disease.

Based on early reports, local health officials fear the 1991-92 flu season may be one of the worst in recent years.

Ron Ozio of the Baylor Flu Center said the number of reported cases is up from this time last year. So far, 57 cases have been documented at Baylor's surveillance sites throughout the city.

Ozio admits this number may not sound like much, however, the bulk of the cases go unreported.

"We estimate that for every one case documented, 500 cases go unreported," he said, "so we're currently looking at 28,000 to 29,000 cases in the Houston area."

Even more ominous, he believes, is the time at which these cases are being reported.

"We usually don't document any cases until after Thanksgiving," he said.

The reason for the current outbreak may be due to this season's predominant strain of flu, Ozio said..

"We've been seeing mostly Type A viruses," he said, "and these usually cause a more serious epidemic."

The symptoms for both Type A and Type B flu are the same, however, there is a slight difference in their antigens, which affects the type of drug to be used in treatment, Ozio explained.

Dr. Billie Jean Smith, director of the UH Health Center, said most people are probably all too familiar with the flu symptoms.

"The general symptoms include sudden fever, shaking chills, muscle aches, headaches, dry cough and runny nose," she said.

Once someone has the flu, there is not much that can be done other than getting plenty of bed rest and letting the disease run its course.

"If left to run its course, the disease will usually last three to five days," Smith said.

The Health Center currently has a flu vaccine available which protects against both Type A and Type B. However, Smith warns against any student hoping to gain instant immunity after the vaccination.

"It takes approximately two weeks for the vaccination to take effect," she said.

Her advice is to stay away from anyone who seems ill. She admits this may be a little tricky at a school the size of UH.

Ozio doesn't offer much encouragement on a person's chances of skipping the disease this year.

"Its going to be difficult to escape," he said, "This season is going to be both longer and more serious than past flu seasons."

ANIMATION FOR YOUR STIMULATION

BY SALLY POUNCY

Not all cartoons are for kids.

The Twenty-Third International Tournee of Animation offers adults a chance to rediscover the child in themselves.

The tournee offers some great short films from all over the world. From the Netherlands, Paul and Menno de Nooijer include live actors, with the painstaking process of stop-action animation, in their award-winning At One View.

The de Nooijers created an accompanying film, I Should See, using almost the same methods as in the first. However, this film is seen as if the audience were a roll of film in a camera glimpsing only flashes of action.

Oscar nominee Bruno Bozzetto complains about the wastefulness of a disposable society in his four-minute film, Big Bang.

Claymation is used by many artists in this year's tournee. American Timothy Hittle ropes the audience into laughter in his claymation triumph, The Potato Hunter.

Oral Hygiene, by David Fain, has skulls with big lips and bulging eyeballs dancing to a beat a dentist would love.

The U.S.S.R. has two entries in the collection. First, a ride on an elevator that stops and opens its doors on crazy scenes, in The Lift.

Second, Little Red Riding Hood travels from Russia to Paris to deliver grandma a hand-made pie, only to be followed by the big, bad, hungry wolf the entire way. The wolf eats anything that gets in front of him, and sings about his life in Russian to the tune of "Mac the Knife," in Grey Wolf and Little Red Riding Hood.

The Soviet films are a fascinating addition to the tournee. Just think, if it were not for the changes within the Soviet Union over the past few years, many things would still be a mystery.

Photocopy Cha Cha lends a whole new light to copy machine usage. Chel White has placed bodies on a copy machine that had to hurt the models.

G.I.Joe dolls party down in Gregory Grant's Ode to G.I.Joe. Grant completed the film while still a student at Brooks Institute for Photography and won an Academy Award for it.

The Twenty-Third International Tournee of Animation is a must-see. Call the River Oaks Landmark Theater for showtimes.