ADVISORY GROUP SET TO STUDY SA BOOKS

BY ANTON P. MONTANO

Possible budget improprieties may be under scrutiny by the Student Service Fee Advisory Committee when meetings resume on Dec. 17.

The proposed inquiry is a continuation of a Spring 1991 investigation into the use of student fees by the Activities Funding Board, the Students' Association and the Council of Ethnic Organizations.

"Several people on the committee have been concerned with how allocations have been made," said Willie Munson, dean of students and advisory member of SSFAC.

Roger Peters, a past chair of SSFAC, formerly the Student Service Fee Planning and Allocation Committee, said a number of irregularities have prompted the probe into the student fee-funded programs. For example:

For nine months, from September 1990 to June 1991, UH's SA completely failed to file monthly financial reports, which are used to compare student organizational records with the Division of Student Affairs' accounting records.

Although allocated a base budget of $55,934 at the beginning of FY91 (September '90), AFB no longer had money to allocate to student groups by May 1991.

An Inter-Departmental Transaction shows that a CEO allocation of $3,237 to the UH Soccer Club in April of 1991 did not include expenses for advertising.

Cipriano Romero, who became SA's director of finance in June 1991, said his first three months in office were spent trying to account for the nine financial reports missing from SA from September 1990 to June 1991.

"My concern then was that the SA was the only department in the whole UH Division of Student Affairs that did not have any reports on file," Romero said.

Since discovering the absence of bookkeeping within SA, Romero said he has instituted a number of reforms, including requiring a more detailed approvals process for budget transactions.

"The problem was that no one knew whether or not the SA was ever on the verge of overspending or going into debt," Romero said.

For FY92, SA was allocated a base budget of $104,451. In FY91, SA received $118,603 in base budget and one-time allocation fees.

The over-allocation of AFB funds and incomplete bookkeeping by SA represent larger concerns to SSFAC.

"They (the AFB) can award as much as $400 each semester to a student organization," Peters said. "But this time they ran out of money from September by May."

Munson said an additional $2,982, based on adjusted enrollment numbers, was given to AFB in September 1991, to help fund the organization until the beginning of FY92.

"This is unusual that AFB had allocated all of its money by the end of the spring semester," Munson said.

"A flare first went up in the case of CEO and the Soccer Club because it is the policy of SSFAC that all activities are reported through some sort of advertising," Peters said.

However, the Soccer Club did advertise its tournament in The Daily Cougar on April 5, 1991, said Loida Casares, student advertising manager.

The CEO gave the funds to the Soccer Club, partly to help house a Mexican team participating in the tournament. The rest of the funds were used to rent soccer fields and pay referees for the event.

*******************************************************

COACH WALTON BRINGS CLASS TO COUGAR VOLLEYBALL PROGRAM

VOLLEYBALL NOTEBOOK

MARTY HAJOVSKY

Volleyball coach Bill Walton raised a few eyebrows last September when he offered an assessment of his team's chances in 1991.

"If this team executes what I'm teaching them to do, we will win every match."

It's the sort of bravado that, coming from anyone else, would seem altogether too cocky. After all, Texas has not lost a Southwest Conference match since 1984, and here was the Houston coach predicting he could beat them not just once, but twice.

As it turned out, the UH netters have not had an unbeaten season, did not beat Texas and finished third in the SWC behind the Longhorns and Texas Tech.

But don't be surprised if Walton still stands behind his earlier statement. Above all else, Walton is a winner, and this year's performance does nothing to prove that wrong.

Walton led his '91 Cougars into Jeppesen Fieldhouse last Friday night against Sacramento State and came out two hours later with a 3-1 victory, his fifth consecutive 20-win season as UH head coach. It's a feat not seen here since the Flo Hyman glory days of the 1970s.

His .630 winning percentage makes him the Cougars' best coach since the modern era of conference play began in 1982.

Walton's 1991 Cougars are on the bubble as far as the NCAA tournament is concerned. Although UH is definitely one of the elite 32 teams in the country, half of the selections are reserved for conference winners (similar to the basketball tourney).

As a result, UT-Arlington, a team the netters thrashed to begin the season, is almost assured of a berth due to the relative weakness of the Southland Conference. The Cougars, on the other hand, have to wait and see the outcome of the SEC and ACC tournaments.

If Duke and Kentucky lose, the Coogs' chances are good. If not, it's back to the National Invitational Volleyball Championship, which UH breezed through last year. The NIVC is probably a lock. Monday, David Springer, an NIVC official, requested a UH team photo for "potential use in this year's tournament program."

Wherever they go, Walton will bring his team to post-season play for the third straight year, and eight of his 11 seasons as a head coach.

Arriving here in 1986, Walton inherited a dismal team from former coach Dave Olbright and brought them to a 14-13 finish. Since then it's been nothing but 20s, and we're not talking small bills.

What makes Walton's numbers even more impressive is where he is. Houston doesn't have the recruiting resources of Texas or a California team, but Walton can still bring in top-ranked talent from all over.

Players like Tina Johnson, Latisha Charles and Brazil's Karina Faber might not have graced the UH halls of honor if not for Walton. Few sell this campus to prospects better than he does.

Two of Walton's pupils deserve special mention. Seniors Karen Bell and Ginger Wittkofski finished their Houston home careers in the win last Friday.

Bell, who crossed the 1,000 kill mark earlier this year, is one of the most explosive attackers ever to don Cougar red. Against Sacramento State, she rang up 14 kills and a team high 22 defensive digs.

Wittokski's season, meanwhile, is highlighted by an 18-block performance against Baylor that stands as the national best for 1991.

Whatever happens in post-season action, be sure that Walton will deflect credit to his seniors. It'll be a season-ending touch of class that UH volleyball observers have come to expect from the Cougars' consummate winner.

UH'S FINAL CURTAIN CALL

JENKINS' CREW TAKE ON RAIDERS IN BATTLE FOR PRIDE

BY MIKE ROSEN

Ten down, one to go; but not for a national title, not for a conference championship and not even for a .500 season.

The Houston Cougars, especially the seniors, just want to end their fall on a winning note, and Coach John Jenkins wants a positive building block for next season.

The one-to-go is Texas Tech, a team still in the hunt for a winning season, but one that has never been much of a threat to Houston, especially in the Astrodome where the Cougars have a 6-0-1 edge over the Red Raiders.

Last year's matchup saw Houston outlast Tech in Lubbock, 51-35, the last time the Cougars won a nationally televised game.

Tech Head Coach Spike Dykes said his Red Raiders will have to be in top form to handle the Cougar's renaissance on offense.

"Houston's really playing well, you have to give them credit. We're going to have to fire big shots to win this game," Dykes said.

After losing four of its first five games, Tech has now won four of its last five, including victories at Texas and Baylor. The Red Raiders have averaged 32.4 points in their last five games.

Quarterback Robert Hall has emerged as Tech's starter after an injury to Jamie Gill. In nine games, he's completed 97 of 195 passes for 1,400 yards and seven touchdowns. While not as potent as TCU's Matt Vogler-to-Stephen Shipley or -Kelly Blackwell connection, Tech's Hall-to-Lloyd Hill attack could be trouble for an inconsistent Houston secondary.

After a miserable beginning for the Cougars, Jenkins saw his team rebound towards the end with a hard-fought loss to Texas A&M, and wins over Texas and Rice. He said last week's last-minute loss to TCU was a big roadblock on the way to a strong finish.

"It's a situation where our guys had regrouped and we had fought our way out of the adversity of the early season and had put a good winning streak together," Jenkins said. "There were certainly a handful of plays that made differences in that ballgame," he said, referring to a questionable defensive holding call and one non-call of Shipley's going out of bounds on the Frogs' winning drive.

Ever the optimist, Jenkins said this would have been a "great season" if they had finished with a four-game winning streak.

"A victory by us over TCU, it's a great season if we can beat Texas Tech because we would have put together a big, lengthy winning streak the last part of the season where it's as impressive as any other team around the country.

"There's a lot of them out there that had the fast start that are basically limping into the finish with losses here and there.

"We've got a shot with Texas Tech and certainly we want to go out and maximize our efforts and certainly pull together for one last shot."

EFFORTS TO STOP FAMILY VIOLENCE GET BIG BOOST

$50K AWARD WILL AID LEGISLATIVE PUSH

BY REBECCA MCPHAIL

The Texas Council on Family Violence has been awarded the Ator Legal Improvement Award.

The council was chosen over two other nominees to receive the $50,000 award which was established in 1984 by UH Law Center Dean Emeritus A.A. White.

The TCFV is a statewide agency that provides training, assistance and educational materials for organizations dedicated to ending family violence. One of the local organizations assisted by the agency is Aid to Victims of Domestic Abuse.

Rhonda Gerson, head of AVDA, said the money will be put to good use. "It will be deposited in an interest-bearing account," she said, "and, I assume, will be used to continue our legislative advocacy."

UH associate law professor Laura Oren, who supported the council with a written nomination, believes the council's dedication to legislative advocacy may have been the deciding factor in their victory.

"The TCFV has worked very closely with the legislature to strengthen the power of restraining orders. They also worked to pass mandatory education on domestic violence for judges," she said.

Oren could not be happier that the award went to TCFV. "Instead of giving the award to the tried and true, they picked an organization who represents outsiders," she said, "It was a very daring, creative and inspirational thing to do."

White said the award is given every three years to the individual or organization that has best worked toward "bettering society in the state of Texas by encouraging or causing a change of law or in the administration of justice."

The selection committee for this year's award included Thomas R. Phillips, chief justice of the Supreme Court of Texas; James N. Parson, former president of the State Bar of Texas; and Robert L. Knauss, dean of the UH Law Center.

The first award was presented in 1988 to Frank G. Evans, former chief justice of the First Court of Appeals for his work in alternative dispute resolution.

Evans used the award to build the A.A. White Dispute Resolution Center at the South Texas College of Law.

RUSTIC RECYCLING EFFORTS

UH PUTS NO ENERGY INTO REUSE WHILE RICE FUELS BIG ROUNDUP

BY RHONDA HECTOR

Four thousand Rice University students collected more than 230,000 pounds of recycled goods on campus last year.

At a university with about 28,000 more students than Rice, the recycling program at UH probably collected eight times the amount of recyclable goods, right?

Wrong.

UH has quite a limited recycling policy. Aluminum cans are collected at the University Center and UC-Satellite and office paper is collected by the copy machines in most of the campus offices, but that appears to be the extent of it.

Collectables at Rice include newspapers, glass, white paper and aluminum.

Team Earth, a student environmental-awareness group, has devised a plan they feel will make recycling a reality here. The plan involves three main components: getting students involved, collecting all types of goods and covering the entire campus.

"We devised this plan because our impression was, that after as much talking as we had done with the administration, we still felt that they lacked the initiative and/or the interest to design their own," said Chris Kidwell, president of Team Earth.

The proposal stresses getting students, faculty and staff informed and suggests the university send memos to the various campus colleges, letters to the faculty, place ads in The Daily Cougar and distribute flyers around campus.

"I don't think people at UH communicate enough in order to get things done," Kidwell said. "I'm hoping with enough people communicating a desire to get things started and with positive input, things will happen."

The proposal has been presented to the Students' Association Senate, the Faculty Senate and to Thomas Jones, deputy to UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett.

"I feel good about the reaction we received from these organizations," Kidwell said. "(SA) Senator Jay Prince wrote a bill supporting our proposal, and many of the other senators added their names to it."

The bill was passed unanimously by the SA Senate at its last meeting, but not all responses have been positive, Kidwell said.

"Herb Collier, the executive director for facilities (Physical Plant), has not been very optimistic about a recycling program," Kidwell said. "When we presented the proposal to him, he was condescending, negative and hard to work with."

Collier responded, "I am really disappointed that he (Kidwell) feels that way. I am trying to be the implementor of this (recycling) and we (the Physical Plant) have been putting a great effort into it."

Collier said the Physical Plant cannot do more because recycling does not pay for itself.

"We want to recycle, but we don't have the budget," he said.

UH is currently recycling about 10,000 pounds of "office mix" a month, said Frank Colson, senior buyer and manager of university stores. Office mix is any paper you would find in an office environment, except newspaper.

"But that's just a drop in the bucket," Colson said. "We should be doing a lot more."

The university does not recycle newspaper because "the market for newsprint is absolutely nothing," Colson said. He pointed out that UH set up barrels to collect recyclables in many of the buildings at the beginning of the year, and people put their trash into them, ruining the recyclables.

Despite some negative feedback, Team Earth believes most people approve of the idea. It's not that the students and faculty don't want to see a recycling program implemented, Kidwell said. Most just don't have the time.

The plan encompasses not only educating students, but also getting them involved.

"It's not easy to do," said Lucy Martin, director of the student volunteer program at Rice. "Everyone wants to recycle, but people are less willing to sort and haul off what we collect. Most of the students are more nominally supportive."

While Rice has 30 volunteer students active in its recycling program, UH would need more support.

"If we could get 11 or 12 student organizations to have five or six students completely involved in the program, that would most likely cover our needs," Kidwell said.

If enough student support could not be obtained, the money received for the goods could be used to pay people to sort and collect the items from the bins.

Another alternative would be to rent large bins from a company such as Browning-Ferris Industries. They would then haul the recyclables to various centers and the money received for those goods would then be credited to the bill for the bins.

Because it has enough student support, Rice uses the money it receive for other things.

"We use the money to buy new bins, bags, twine and wood to build newspaper racks," Martin said. "We even bought an electric golf cart to aid in picking up the items from the bins."

Aluminum, glass, newspaper and white paper are the items that would be collected in 16 buildings on campus. The buildings would include high-traffic buildings, such as Agnes Arnold Hall, the Science and Research Buildings, UC and Hoffman Hall.

OMBUDSERVICE TO CUT STUDENT OFFICE HOPPING

BY TODD DUPLANTIS

Students now have a way to minimize the red tape and hassles in dealing with everyday university problems.

With the help of the UH dean of students office, students can now turn to an Ombudservice to help solve campus-related problems.

"It's a problem-solving network service," said Thelma Douglass, assistant dean of students. "We have over 260 designated problem solvers in various departments on campus."

Douglas said the "problem solvers" include assistant deans and department heads. "They are people who have sufficient rank and authority to help students solve problems," Douglass said.

Students in need of solutions can come to the dean's office where Douglass then searches in a special directory to find a designated problem solver for the student. The student will then be given a name and an office number, and the problem solver will be notified of the student and the problem.

"We want to make sure we're minimizing the time the students are sent from office to office," she said. "We would like to put this in a two-step process, depending on the case or specific problem the student brings to us."

Douglass said when a student comes to her office with a problem, the key to helping them is finding out exactly what the problem involves, which can be the most difficult task.

"Concerns of students are not just a one-office process," Douglass said. "It's a networking of all offices so we can help our students minimize the frustrations they may be going through."

Dean of Students Willie Munson said the service helps 1,200 to 3,000 students each month. Since the service began operating on a limited basis in 1989, it has helped more than 10,000 students.

Munson said he would like to see more training done for the designated problem solvers.

"Down the road, we would like to do a lot more in this area," Munson said. "That would include a more comprehensive group in the problem solver training."

Munson said the service is now in computerizing its operation, which will save time and provide analytical data for studying students as a whole. Munson said he expects the computers to be used on a limited basis, as early as fall of next year.

Students needing assistance can contact the Ombudservice at 749-2915.

PROF: FRENCH HISTORY BOOKS NEED REWRITE ON LIBERATION

POST-WAR MINDSET DIDN`T CUT AWAY WOMEN'S SHACKLES

BY DAI HUYNH

A new study reveals that World War II was not the source of liberation for French women, as once believed.

And History Professor Sarah Fishman's We Will Wait: Wives of French Prisoners of War 1940-1945 is the first study in English dealing with the plight of the spouses of French POWs.

Fishman's research reveals that although the war presented new opportunities for French women to illustrate their leadership capabilities, the French government took measures to ensure that domestic authority would revert back to the husbands when they returned.

The government encouraged French women to substitute for husbands during their absence, but also consistently reminded them that once their husbands returned, they would have to realize that men were the source of power in the family, Fishman said.

Although French women gained the right to vote and the right to equal pay for equal work after WWII, these reforms resulted more from the rejection of the strict French Vichy government than from the new attitudes toward women, Fishman said.

However, there was a higher opinion of women after the war because they resisted the German occupancy, proving themselves worthy of citizenship, she said. But this did not propel people to question the steadfast assumption that women were meant mainly for marriage and children.

Fishman said the war did not initiate a radical change in the relationships between French men and women. Although WWII set the stage for establishing equal rights for men and women, the stress of working outside the home and taking care of a family alone stirred the women's desire to revert back to their domestic role as housewives.

"They were working long hours, and they didn't have their husbands. They have all these problems to deal with, and it's not something they wanted to hang onto. It's something that they think, `I can't wait until my husband gets home and we can go back to the way things were,'" she said.

Any occurrence during a war is a temporary response to a crisis and not something that people want to be permanent, Fishman said.

Fishman's book also focuses on the alienation the POWs' wives faced during war.

During the five-year period when their husbands were prisoners, the wives were ostracized from mainstream French society, she said.

Women often relate their stories of no longer being invited to social functions or parties because their husband were POWs, Fishman said.

There was a stigma that French POWs were cowards because they allowed themselves to be captured rather than die in battle, she said.

Also, under the Vichy government, women without husbands were viewed as needing financial assistance and leadership. Moral protection was also viewed by the government as necessary because of the prevailing assumption that a woman without her husband is likely to participate in immoral acts.

Ironically, the French government was incapable of providing those services because of constant infighting and lack of resources, leading the POWs' wives to create their own support group to cope with their alienation with society.