STATISTICAL ORGY

TEXAS TECH BANGS HOUSTON 52-46

BY MIKE ROSEN

Houston's Run-and-Shoot went out with a bang Saturday, racking up 684 total yards and 46 points, but the Cougars fell to Texas Tech in the season finale shootout 52-46.

Once again, turnovers kept the Cougars from striking the win column, as they gave the ball away seven times, twice on downs. The first and most notable came after a 79-yard drive on Houston's opening possession, resulting in a fourth down and one on the Tech two yard line.

A one-yard gain on the play turned the ball over to the Red Raiders, and three plays later quarterback Robert Hall threw a 95-yard bomb to Rodney Blackshear, senior wide receiver from Houston Reagan, for a quick 7-0 lead.

It was a sign of things to come, as the two teams combined for 1,320 yards and 98 points.

After combining for 788 yards and trading touchdowns throughout the first half, Tech took a 28-20 lead at intermission, and opened it up on its first possession of the third quarter. Hall once again found Blackshear for 55 yards, setting up a six-yard QB-keeper, and the Raiders were up 35-20.

Houston threatened to cut into the lead when quarterback David Klingler drove the Cougars down to the Tech nine yard line, but coughed the ball up on a second-and-six play.

Tech took over at its 27 and drove 73 yards, capping the drive with a Byron Morris six-yard touchdown run and extending its lead to 22.

UH cut the Tech lead to 42-28 on its next possession when Klingler dialed John Brown III from 35 yards out (plus a two-point-conversion), capping an 80-yard drive that took all of 1:11. But the Raiders stormed back immediately, beginning with a 52-yard return of the ensuing kickoff, and a 35-yard scamper by Hall six plays later. Tech had a three- touchdown lead with 2:41 remaining in the quarter.

Klingler brought the Cougars back to within two scores with an 11-yard touchdown strike to Marcus Grant (and another two-point conversion) inside 2:00 in the third, and when Houston recovered the ensuing on-side kick, it set up an early fourth quarter Roman Anderson field goal, cutting the margin to 10, 49-39.

UH had a chance to cut the lead to as little as three when the defense held the Raiders on their next drive, but another fumble, this one by Fred Gilbert after a catch, gave the ball right back to Tech. Hall led the Raiders on a 4:08 drive that ended in a 20-yard field goal and a 52-39 Tech lead with 4:39 remaining.

The Cougars' next drive took 1:09 off the clock and ended in an interception, but they got the ball back once more with 1:55 to go.

Klingler led UH on its last touchdown drive of the season and, on his last play as a Cougar, found fellow-senior Verlond Brown in the end zone. Tech's lead was cut to 52-46, and the season ended 43 seconds later.

*******************************************************

TEACHER EVALUATIONS LEFT SITTING ON SHELF

USEFUL TOOL BEING NEGLECTED, UNUSED IN LIBRARY

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

Every semester thousands of students get an opportunity in each course they take to either praise their instructors -- or get even.

They fill out teacher evaluations.

Most students never see the results of these efforts and may wonder what happens to the sheets after they take the time to fill them out. For the answer, you may want to look on a long, disorganized shelf in M.D. Anderson Library.

Teacher evaluations dating back to roughly 1988 are strewn haphazardly along this third floor, red-section library shelf.

And these reports could be useful tools to prospective and current students in deciding what classes to take.

However, the six-inch thick, bound stacks of computer paper are not organized in a usable fashion. The only hint about what course these reems of numbers and statistics apply to is the year and college on the binder's cover.

John Lake, a junior history major, said he found the collection hard to use.

"The evaluations themselves are impossible to understand. I tried looking for some teachers of mine. I found the teachers, but not the class I had," he said.

"There are too many statistics and not enough good old-ashioned English."

Lake transferred from Texas A&M in 1989 and said at his old school the evaluations were well organized and readily available.

"I remember the evaluations at A&M and they were much more easy to read and much more clear and concise," Lake said.

When library officials were asked who was responsible for the display and organization of the evaluations, they denied responsibility for keeping them organized.

When the colleges collect the evaluations, the scantron portions are sent to the Office of Measurement and Evaluation in the Counseling and Testing Center.

This center processes the data, binds the reports and returns them to the colleges. But center employees said they were not responsible for the display or organization of the reports.

Upon receiving the reports, the colleges place one of their copies in the library. Library officials said basically the colleges, "just come and drop them off."

The evaluations are also used to determine merit pay increases.

Students' Association President Michael Berry said for the past 15 years his organization has been pressuring campus administrators to present these materials in a more workable manner.

"We have passed resolution after resolution. We have tried every tactful and untactful way to get those evaluations organized in an efficient manner," Berry said.

While administrators seem to have let this student tool go by the wayside, Berry said SA has made efforts to publish a guide of course information that he hopes will evolve to include published teacher evaluations in the future.

The course information guide would give more details about what a course is about than the title that appears in the course schedule now, he said.

Berry said the unusable state of the current compilations is an intentional ploy. He added that the lack of impact these evaluations have makes students not want to fill them out when they are really quite important.

Berry also said teacher evaluations should become a major component of promotion and tenure guidelines. Teachers should have to prove their effectiveness in the classroom with them and not just be able to pay "lip service" to being effective teachers when being considered for such promotions, he said.

DON'T FRET OVER FINAL EXAMS, GET TUTORING HELP FROM LSS

WILL OFFER TUTORING THROUGH THURSDAY DURING FINALS WEEK

BY MICHICA GUILLORY

It's finals time, and for some it is the last chance to save face and grade point average by passing the final exams.

For those needing help there is still Learning Support Services. Their tutors been available all semester to help, and they will be maintaining their vigil during finals.

Located on the third floor of the Social Work Building, LSS will offer tutoring in most subjects from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday during finals week, said Patrick Daniel, LSS program director. No tutoring will be available Friday because it is the last day of finals week.

College algebra, physics I and II; chemistry I and II; and calculus I, II and III, some of the most demanded tutoring subjects, will definitely be available for tutoring, Daniel said.

"If we are too busy, the program assistants may help with the tutoring," Daniel said. "They are also qualified to tutor students." And in case a large number of people show up, tutors are willing to work with groups and program assistants.

Regular tutoring hours have been changed slightly to accommodate the final exam schedules of the tutors. "They're students, too," Daniel said.

Though there may be fewer tutors, Daniel assures they are prepared to service all students coming in for last minute tutoring. "We have always been able to handle it this way," he said.

LSS will also do group tutoring to help handle crowds. "Sometimes we have people from the same class come in and they get tutored together," Daniel said. "If we get a large group, we take them into another room to be tutored."

So, for those of you who are panicked, desperate and on the verge of a nervous breakdown, don't forget that with the LSS tutoring program, there is still hope and time to bring those grades up.

ANYONE CAN HAVE THIS `GIRLFRIEND'

BY CHRIS ENGLISH

The dissolution of a relationship can be an emotive period of a lot of soul searching and angst. It can also be very inspirational ... in a painful sort of way. So it was with Matthew Sweet in his latest endeavor, Girlfriend.

Divorce proceedings were the emotive force behind this album, that and meeting a new girlfriend while playing on tour as the guitarist for Lloyd Cole's post-Commotions band.

The album has that feel to it to, a gut-twisted, raw bone feel that comes from Sweet's unadulterated guitar pounding. It's definitely pop though, but an honest pop, with a blues edge on "Girlfriend" and "Does She Talk?." Sweet went for this kind of sound, mixing and recording quickly, sans computers and with as few overdubs as possible.

What results is a jam session feel to the album, with songs flowing with loose structure and spontaneity. There are no slick production values on this baby, but there is style.

Sweet's voice is rangier than before as it now pulls its bottom from the soul. It sounds like he's recently discovered Woodie Guthrie. His songwriting isn't any less sophisticated than before, however. He still possesses that deft touch for capturing feelings. You may recognize his voice from "Something Becomes Nothing" which he co-wrote with Anton Fier for the Golden Palominos' Blast of Silence LP.

Also on the album are some terrific acoustic pieces, featuring Lloyd Cole himself on the acoustic guitar and Greg Leisz doing that pedal steel thing. Especially good are "Looking at the Sun" and "Your Sweet Voice."

It's definitely an album worth checking out.

LADY COUGARS TAKE KENTUCKY TOURNEY

COUGAR SPORTS SERVICE

The Lady Cougars defeated Alcorn State 77-76 and upended Kentucky 76-70 to win the Kentucky Invitational held Nov. 29-30.

Against the Wildcats, LaShawn Johnson had a team high of 20 points in UH's six-point win over Kentucky.

The Cougars defense held the Wildcats to 38 percent shooting, while their offense shot 46 percent from the field.

Johnson and teammate Darla Simpson earned all-tournament team honors.

Earlier in the tournament, the Cougars defeated Alcorn St. The game high scorer was UH's Simpson, who had 23.

UH held off Alcorn State's 59 percent shooting average in the second half to win by one.

DISABLED HOPE FOR ACCESS TO FOUNTAIN

BY MELISSA NEELEY

With renovations being made on the Cullen fountain, some UH disabled students would like to see the inclined landscape become accessible to all.

"There are days when it is sun-shiny and I would like to sit up there then. When there are festivals, sometimes bands play up there, I can't go up there so I have to stay around the edge," said George Walls, a disabled student confined to a wheelchair.

The fountain is being fixed without any renovations being made to the landscape, said Karen Waldman, coordinator of Handicapped Student Services.

The Americans with Disabilities Act says that public accommodations such as grocery stores, businesses, schools and parks will have to become accessible. Title 3 of the ADA says new construction to public accommodations and commercial facilities are to be accessible beginning Jan. 26, 1993.

"There are definitely higher priorities. UH was concerned with accessability before the ADA was passed, but that doesn't mean every place has to be accessible. I think (disabled) people think access to their classes is more important. I could not say automatically if there was a need to make it accessible," said Laura Rothstein, a professor in the law department.

"For example, making shuttle buses accessible is definitely a higher priority. A good thing to do would be a campus-wide search for accessability on campus," Rothstein said.

No students have complained to Waldman about the inaccessability of the fountain, she said. The expense to install ramps on each side of the fountain could go into lowering elevator buttons and other needs which are more pressing, she said. "They(UH) have to prioritize everything that needs to be done, both financially and manpower-wise. You can't do everything overnight.

It would be crazy for the university to spend an incredible amount of money for something so few people use and need," Waldman said.

"Even if they put a little wooden ramp on one side of the set of stairs with some anti-skid material, that would be better than nothing," Walls said.

"There are just different priorities for UH. I know that there are a lot of other things they would rather get done," said Michael Taylor, a disabled student and Cougar Place resident. "I never realized that it wasn't accessble because I would sit and talk to my friends on the grassy part surrounding it. The amount of money they would have to spend to make it safe and accessible could be used to do a lot more around campus."

"It would be a good idea to make it accessible so people in wheelchairs could get up there in the pool area. It would be a good thing to discuss in the future if they can't now," said Jesse Bias, a freshman electrical engineering major who is also disabled.

STUDENTS HAVE HELL OF A TIME WALKING ON BURNING COALS

SEMINAR SHOWS HOW TO AVOID HOT FOOT

BY RHONDA HECTOR

"It gives me real charge," he said. "It opens my mind to possibilities."

Sophomore business major Beau Maisel has walked on fire 23 times in the past four years.

"Everyone gets something different out of it," he said. "It has enlightening powers. My goal is to open my mind to opportunities and keep my beliefs open."

His father, Johnny Maisel, teaches firewalking.

"Fire is a spiritual tool," the elder Maisel said to the participants of his firewalking seminar last Saturday night.

The 25 participants ranged in age from 12 to 64 and all stood to share the reason why they attended the seminar. Some came to learn, others to walk for the first time and still others came to "perfect" their walk.

Each of the participants committed to walk or not walk across the coals at the beginning of the seminar. Maisel made them do this because he said it is important to make choices and not spend one's life in indecision.

The next two and a half hours were spent in group activities, in order to "make the energy level of the group match the energy level of the fire," Maisel said.

The group built the fire together, each picking up wood and adding it to the pile. Once the wood pile was blessed and the wood appropriately thanked for "giving its life for the participants," it was set ablaze.

The seminar participants stood in a circle around the fire and watched it burn.

Back inside, the group sang "progressive campfire" songs, played concentration games with marshmallows, gave each other aura baths and discussed their fears of walking on fire.

Before finally going out to walk on the hot coals, Maisel shared his ideas on faith, gratitude and focused intent.

"Faith is leaping into the unknown empty handed and knowing one of two things will happen," Maisel said. "Either you will land on something solid or someone will be waiting there to teach you how to fly.

"Your goal tonight is to get across the fire safely," Maisel said. "See yourself two steps beyond the fire, that's manifestation."

Once outside, they circled around the fire, some dancing, others skipping. They played tambourines, drums and other instruments while singing, chanting and some were just yelling.

Maisel, who had been chanting "my body will do whatever it takes to protect itself", was the first to walk across the hot coals.

Eleven others followed, some more than once. Even the twelve year old walked across the coals, three times.

To an onlooker they seemed to be the best of friends, yet many of the group members had just met that night. Two women, who didn't know each other's names, walked on the coals for the first time, together.

Afterwards, one of the participants expressed the sentiment of all who walked across the coals that night, "If I can walk on fire, I can do anything."

Even those who do not necessarily believe that it has a spiritual connotation find pleasure in firewalking. Jack Blankenship, a UH sophomore business major, had walked on a previous occasion.

"The reason you do it is to break your fear," said Blankenship. "It felt good, but I just wanted to prove that anyone could do it."

HOOPSTERS ESCAPE BY NORTH TEXAS; FALL SHORT AGAINST N.C. TAR HEELS

BY MIGUEL ZEPEDA

No one can say University of Houston basketball Coach Pat Foster and his team lacked Thanksgiving spirit.

Houston had to be thankful Saturday after narrowly escaping the North Texas Eagles with a 89-87 victory.

On Wednesday, after building a 15-point lead at halftime against the North Carolina Tar Heels, Houston decided to get into the holiday spirit by collapsing in the second half, giving the visitors a 68-65 victory.

The Cougars, groggy after losing a nail-biter to the Tar Heels, showed the effects of that game by making only 29 of 73 shots from the field against the Eagles and finishing with a horrid 31 percent shooting night.

Houston looked like they were going through the motions against North Texas.

The Cougars lacked the intensity they displayed against the Tar Heels and the Villanova Wildcats.

Senior forward Sam Mack led the way for the Cougars with 29 points and 11 rebounds.

Craig Upchurch added 16 points and junior center Charles Outlaw scored 12.

After the frontcourt, Houston got little production from the backcourt.

Houston's guards were a combined 9 of 25 from the field.

The Cougars made only one of 11 in three-point attempts, the lone trey coming from forward Roger Fernandes.

The game had upset written all over it, until UH guard Derrick Daniels hit two free-throws to put the Cougars ahead for good with 1:42 left to play.

Foster had hoped for a similar outcome against the 6th-ranked Tar Heels but saw his team fall apart in the second half.

"They (North Carolina) got after it more and wore us down. We got a little tired. I feel like we got very emotionally ready for this game. The air just went out," Foster said.

Houston had led the entire game until 6:16 was left to play in the second half.

North Carolina recovered from a slow start and took advantage of their size inside to ruin UH's hopes for an upset.

Houston saw their 42-27 halftime lead disappear and could do nothing to stop the inside play of the much-taller Tar Heels.

The Cougars shot 26 percent in the second half and finished the game at 36 percent.

"We didn't come out with the same intensity. We should have come out thinking it was 0-0. For them to come back, they're just a better ballclub," Mack said, after scoring a game-high 32 points.

North Carolina did what the Cougars had done to them in the first half. The Tar Heels outscored UH 41-23 after intermission.

Houston held the UNC scoreless until 6:14 had gone by in the first half.

The Cougars, riding on the hot-hand of Mack, used a matching-zone to frustrate the Tar Heels into 16 turnovers.

"Defensively in the first half I thought we had the game in control. But they did a better job of attacking the zone," Foster said.

Houston had a 20-16 rebounding edge in the first half, but like their lead, it quickly vanished.

FRATERNITY HOUSES LEAD TO GANG RAPE, SAYS EXPERT

STUDY SHOWS 90 PERCENT OF CAMPUS GANG RAPES TAKE PLACE AT FRATERNITY HOUSES

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

Bernice Sandler didn't want to divulge too many details, but it didn't matter -- what she did say was quite enough.

As the national expert on gang rape lectured to counselors, students and others working in the field of sexual assault on college campuses, the audience couldn't help but groan in empathy and moan in disgust.

Sandler talked of gang rape victims locked out of rooms and left naked in fraternity house hallways, of men who videotape the ordeal to show to friends later.

Sandler, with the Association of American Colleges, received her first call about a gang rape in November 1985. Since then, she has documented more than 100 cases of campus gang rape and has spent most of her time researching the phenomenon.

What she has found is that the vast majority occur at fraternity houses (90 percent), with the rest happening at the hands of athletes. Alcohol or drugs are almost always involved and often the victim is selected ahead of time and deliberately given spiked drinks or drugs to incapacitate her. Often, the woman is not conscious during the rape. Often people other than the men committing the rape know it is occurring or about to occur.

"The men are stunned when their behaviour is labeled as rape," Sandler said at a recent conference on sexual assault. "They say it is group sex, that it was a good time."

Sandler has found many differences between gang rape and one-on-one. In gang rapes, the men are raping for each other -- they want to prove their manhood. She says usually every group has a leader, the one who initiates the rape.

The bond that the men participating in the rape feel for each other overrides their feelings for the victim, Sandler says.

She says fraternity members are the primary culprits because they have a strong ideology of brotherhood -- fraternity men define themselves by drinking, sexual prowess and negative behavior toward women. Athletes, as a group, form similar bonds.

Sandler says additional problems caused by fraternities especially are that they sanction sexual abuse, that the brothers are trained to "cover" or lie for each other to keep them out of trouble, that they stereotype women and view "gang bangs" as part of their culture.

On the other side of the coin are women who believe they could never become victims of such a crime.

"There are so many women so frightened by the crime that they have to distance themselves," Sandler says. "They say, `Well, everybody knows fraternity parties are dangerous.' They say, `I'm not stupid, this will never happen to me.'"

It does happen, however, and Sandler says the victims are both sorority and nonsorority members, freshmen and seniors.

Mary Koss, of the University of Arizona psychology and psychiatry departments, recently conducted a study of 600 students in a "Psych 101" class and found attitudes between fraternity members and non-fraternity members differed.

"We found that men in fraternities lived in a more sexualized environment, that alcohol was more readily available ... that pledges thought fraternity membership would help them date more and that fraternity members are more likely to have had sexual experience," Koss said.

Koss, however, says that the National Interfraternity Conference and national chapters of some fraternities have become leaders in rape education.

Sandler agrees and says they have a great deal of influence among members.

Individual fraternities and members are taking steps as well. Two students and Sigma Chi brothers at California Polytechnic State University started a program called "Greeks Talking to Greeks about Acquaintance Rape" last year.

The program involves mandatory attendance by fraternities at rape education seminars given by other fraternity members. Those who did not attend were placed on a list given to sororities, whose members said they would not hold parties with fraternities on the list.

Christopher Flesoras says the idea came about when he served as his fraternity's risk manager, a position dealing with fraternity insurance and other related matters.

"We had information about fires and earthquakes, but no one said anything about rape," he said. So he and brother Mike Fink started their program. They became well-versed on the subject through self-education and reading books on how to conduct date rape seminars.

"At least it's showing that the Greek system is doing something," he said. Flesora just transferred to Hellenic College in Boston where he hopes to implement the same program.

The IFC is offering programs to fraternity chapters nationwide as well.

In addition to the seminars, Sandler says the only way to prevent gang rape is to change the attitudes of women who think they aren't vulnerable, of men who watch or commit a gang rape and of administrators who usually shy away from the subject for fear of bad publicity.

ASBESTOS STOPS WORK ON NEW PHONE SYSTEM

NO HEALTH HAZARD TO STUDENTS, TOXIC MATERIAL SECLUDED

BY JAN GOSWICK

Asbestos in the path of cable installers for the new Rolm telephone system may not be removed, said UH Environmental Physical Safety Department Director Timothy Ryan.

"We're asking the consultants for recommendations on how to handle it," Ryan said. Consultants are conducting a survey to identify easily removed areas of asbestos and the safest methods of working around it.

The Environmental Protection Agency distinguishes friable from nonfriable forms of asbestos. Friable asbestos can be "crumbled or reduced to powder by hand pressure." If disturbed, it can release asbestos fibers into the air.

Inhalation of asbestos fibers has been linked to several diseases, including lung cancer. Nonfriable asbestos is not considered a hazard unless it is mechanically disturbed, for example, during remodeling or demolition.

Ryan said asbestos has been identified in 40 UH buildings. The 10 buildings under survey are believed to contain friable asbestos used for heat or sound proofing. Those buildings include M.D. Anderson Library, McElhinney Hall, Agnes Arnold Hall, the UH Hilton, Fouke Athletic Building, Hofheinz Pavilion, Garrison Gym, Melcher Gym, the engineering building and the South Office Annex.

"The recommendations can go three ways. First, they can tell us we don't have to do anything different. We may clean up or abate small parts and then send in non-licensed workers to put in the cables. Or we might have to use fully licensed cablers to install the lines," Ryan says. "Even if it is friable, it will be left intact unless putting cables in will disturb it."

The Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) Rule mandates that kindergarten through 12th grade schools inspect and identify asbestos-containing materials. Asbestos then must be removed, enclosed or encapsulated. The AHERA Rule does not aply to universities, which are considered to be public buildings unless friable asbestos becomes disturbed. However, any abatement in a public access area must be performed by EPA-registered asbestos workers.

"The mere presence of asbestos is not hazardous," said Barbara King, environmental health specialist for the Texas Department of Health. "It is only a problem if it is disturbed -- in other words, airborne."

Ryan said the asbestos in the buildings under survey is not accessible to the public. "It is all above the ceilings and in spaces between the floors," he says.

SLINGLER TURNS IN BADGE

HOUSTON'S MOST PROLIFIC PASSER RIDES OFF INTO SUNSET

BY RANDY BAZAN

With 43 seconds left in Saturday's game, David Klingler rolled to his right and let fly his final pass as a Cougar -- a nine-yard touchdown to Verlond Brown.

It was his sixth touchdown pass of the day, but in this season of disappointments, it wasn't enough as Houston succumbed to Texas Tech 52-46.

For Klingler, this season has been painful in every sense of the word. Injuries and inexperience along the offensive line left him with tissue-paper-thin protection and allowed him to be sacked 43 times in the 10 games he played.

Against Texas A&M, he was dragged down 10 times, TCU got him nine times and Miami crushed him five times. When he wasn't sacked, he was hit just about every time he dropped back to throw. But he took the punishment and always got back up.

"The trainers have done a good job trying to get me back into playing condition," he said.

Many people questioned Klingler's decision to return for his senior year after the sensational season he had in 1990, but Klingler was not one of them. Even after the disastrous 1991 campaign, Klingler said he considers the tough times a good learning experience.

"To go pro after one year of starting is a premature decision," he said. "If you play long enough, you're going to lose some football games. The important thing is how you react to them."

Through all the adversity, he never resorted to finger pointing. If the Cougars lost, he shouldered the blame himself.

"Everything I've accomplished is because of the players around me," Klingler said. "The guys on this team never gave up, they never quit, and that really shows the character of the guys on this team."

Houston Coach John Jenkins could hardly believe his prized pupil was now part of Cougar history.

"Time flies," Jenkins said. "It seems like yesterday he came in as a Wishbone quarterback. He was a pony.

"To be able to take him and mold him into the system has been a real pleasure," Jenkins said. "He will now ride off into the NFL."

As Klingler took that final walk off the field, he stopped to sign a few autographs as Houston fans overlooking the tunnel cheered and wished him luck. Then he was gone, and the curtain closed for good on Klingler and the 1991 Houston Cougars.