UH ACADEMIC HONESTY POLICY FAIR, MOST SAY

AVERAGE OF FOUR TO FIVE STUDENTS PER SEMESTER ACCUSED

BY ANTON P. MONTANO

Recent violations of Rice University's academic honor code and the approach of final examinations and term paper deadlines have some students and faculty wondering how well UH deals with its own cheaters, liars and plagiarists.

Earlier this semester, Rice's student newspaper reported that 28 students violated the school's 75-year-old honor code after cheating in an unsupervised examination.

Besides encouraging the monitoring of exams, proponents of UH's academic honesty policy say its greatest strength lies in the structured and fair system for handling accusations.

"When we revised the policy in 1986, we tried to come up with the best policy to protect the due process of the students," said Guadalupe Quintanilla, assistant vice president for academic affairs.

Found in UH's student handbook, students accused of academic dishonesty are first allowed a hearing involving the department chair, the accused student, the instructor and the accuser, if he is someone other than the instructor.

Afterwards, students and accusers may appeal the decision of the department chair to the college level and finally to the university provost.

Quintanilla said a comparatively low average of four to five suspensions per semester from UH have resulted through action under the academic honesty policy.

"One of the criticisms of the policy has been that it is too cumbersome and complicated," Quintanilla said. "But, we have tested this policy at the local, state and federal level with students who have sued the university."

The most recent test for the policy will come in May when a former student and university employee's lawsuit against UH will challenge the way the academic honesty policy was applied to his dismissal from UH.

"It's not unusual for students who are not satisfied with the system to bring litigation, but the academic honesty code has been upheld in the number of years that I've been in practice," Nancy Footer, associate university counsel, said.

Footer said three to four students have filed suit against UH regarding the academic honesty code in the last 10 years, all with decisions in UH's favor.

"There's a lot of agony involved in this," said John Hunsucker, an associate professor of engineering and member of UH's Academic Honesty Committee.

Hunsucker said the College of Engineering's three-student-and-two-faculty-member hearing panel once voted to remove one student from UH for life despite having only three hours left before graduating.

"It's important to remember that academic honesty is the prerogative of the student foremost and not of the faculty or the university," Hunsucker said. "This is an ethical campus so long as students want it to be one.

"The student body has got to do that by itself no matter what any policy might say," Hunsucker said.

A number of UH students are in fact concerned about a former English major who was caught plagiarizing an English paper and was allowed to drop the course without receiving any failing grades or attending a departmental hearing.

In the student's five-page paper, entire pages and quoted phrases were directly copied as original work.

"Call me an academic purist or whatever, but I feel the way they handled this leaves the way open for other scandals," said Richard Gabriel, one of a number of students who brought the case to The Daily Cougar.

Ann Christensen, the assistant professor of English who discovered the plagiarism and allowed the student to drop the course, said she regretted letting the student avoid punishment.

"I'm sorry and made a big mistake," Christensen said. "I would probably do things differently, but my goal has always been for students to learn to write papers."

Christensen said the student dropped the course under an agreement to rewrite the paper.

"Now, this student has dropped, and there is nothing I can really do retroactively," Christensen said.

Christensen said the academic honesty policy should allow instructors some flexibility in deciding whether or not an academic offense and its circumstances warranted a departmental hearing.

Students, however, hope similar incidents aren't occuring across campus.

"This whole thing is insane; this is supposed to be college," Will Greve, an undeclared sophomore, said. "Unless faculty start being more strict, this place will never be considered a great university."

Neither the former student filing the lawsuit against UH nor his attorney could be contacted before press time.

*******************************************************

JUNK FAXES, PHONE CALLS COULD BE OUTLAWED

CONGRESS PLANS TO CUT WIRE ON INVADING PHANTOM FACSIMILES, ANNOYING AUTODIALERS

BY ERICKA SCHICHE

Constituents, infuriated with companies that utilize the "junk call" method of advertising, prompted legislators in both the House and the Senate to pass bi-partisan legislation last week.

If the compromise is signed by President George Bush, it becomes the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991. The act will restrict businesses from using recorded telephone messages to promote products or services as a method of advertising.

The bill, titled SB 1462, includes combined texts from House Bill 1304, authored by Rep. Edward J. Markey, D-Mass., and the original Senate Bill 1462, authored by Sen. Ernest Hollings, D-S.C.

Three provisions of the proposed act include:

Junk Calls -- This bill directs the Federal Communications Commission to choose and implement the most effective method to protect consumer privacy rights. The FCC may consider several alternatives, including a national database, industry-based "do not call lists," network technologies or special markings in telephone directories. Junk Faxes -- The legislation also prohibits any unsolicited advertisement sent by fax. A year after enactment, faxes will be required to carry the name and phone number of the sender.

Autodialers -- The bill prohibits any calls without prior consent except for calls made for emergencies. Autodialers would be banned from contacting emergency phone lines, hospitals or health care facilities, or from placing any call for which the called party is billed (including cellular phones and pagers).

Through its rulemaking, however, the FCC may permit certain types of autodialer calls for legitimate purposes (such as debt collection, student loans and voice mail).

Mary Beth Richards, chief of enforcement for the FCC's Common Carrier Bureau, said out of 930 complaints received nationwide during October, 30 addressed the problem of "unsolicited and harrassing phone calls."

Richards said complaints about unauthorized conversion of long distance numbers, "976" telephone services and complaints about operator services constituted the bulk of telephone-related complaints.

"If they contact the Direct Marketing Association (based in New York City), consumers can request that their telephone numbers be taken out of the access channels," Richards said, referring to the bank of all possible telephone numbers that can be reached by companies using computerized or recorded messages to advertise.

"We want consumers to choose for themselves who they communicate with," said Mag Gottlieb, director of governmental affairs and an attorney for the Washington, D.C. branch of the Direct Marketing Association. "Consumers will not have as many buying options under this act."

Gottlieb said the legislation is counterproductive to the idea of a free market economy.

"During my 20s, I never bought anything over the phone. Purchasing things over the phone is less of a hassle (for her) now than finding a stamp and sending a check," she said.

Most of the about 3,600 member companies of the Direct Marketing Association do not make unsolicited "junk calls," Gottlieb said.

"I believe that telemarketing can be a powerful and effective business tool, but the nightly ritual of phone calls to the home from `strangers' and `robots' has many Americans fed up," Markey said, during his Nov. 26 statement to the House.

He said more than 300,000 solicitors make about 18 million calls every day. "Automatic dialing machines, on the other hand, have the capacity to call 20 million Americans during the course of a single day, with each individual machine delivering a pre-recorded message to 1,000 homes," Markey said.

Both the Senate and the House passed the legislation by unanimous voice vote last week.

Edward Anderson, president of AdverFax, a company which sends facsimile advertisements to local businesses, said he thinks President Bush will veto the legislation because telemarketing is a billion-dollar industry that employs a significant number of people.

However, Anderson admitted he did not approve of what he called "phantom faxing," which he said companies are guilty of when they send unsolicited ads without proper identifying information.

"I think the autodialer situation has really gotten out of hand," he said.

Bill McCatherine, assistant to the executive clerk, said the president has not yet received the bill.

COOGS DRAW LSU IN FIRST OF NCAA'S

VOLLEYBALL NOTEBOOK

MARTY HAJOVSKY

Before the celebrating begins, the Cougars have a tough first round opponent in national powerhouse LSU Tigers.

After all the work this season, recognition is sweet for UH. But it only goes so far, now the work is for something even sweeter -- glory.

CORDLESS TELEPHONE USERS BEWARE OF UNWELCOME EARS

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

A bit of advice for cordless telephone users -- a slip of the lip can ... well, it can cause a lot of trouble. Ask students at Wesley College in Dover, Del.

Some of them recently discovered that a Dover man who owns a powerful police scanner has been listening to their conversations over cordless telephones.

Huh? you say. How do they know this?

He told them. He copied down telephone numbers and names as they were given in casual conversations. He listened to them talk about their party plans. Their favorite watering holes. Their fake I.D.s ... oops.

Then he got concerned. Legal lines were being crossed, and he felt it was his duty to tell them to knock it off. And he called the student newspaper to explain why he did it.

Negin Naraghi, a senior at Wesley, said in early November she was one of the students who had been contacted by the scanner vigilante. He warned her not to do certain things.

The man also has been accusing students of dealing illegal drugs, Naraghi said, but he's got his facts all mixed up.

"I think it's wrong for him to listen to the conversations," Naraghi said. "I'm kind of bothered by the whole fact that it is legal for people to do that."

Traci McFadden, a senior, said students were aware someone was monitoring their telephone conversations before the story appeared in The Whetstone, but she doesn't think students will get rid of their cordless telephones.

"They are going to be careful about what they are saying," she said.

Lt. W. James Beauchamp, Dover police and other officials, said there is nothing illegal about simply listening to conversations from cordless telephones.

"It seems strange, but my understanding is if it is a cordless telephone, there is no law that restricts receiving the signals," Beauchamp said.

"Cordless telephones are not subject to privacy laws," said Ellsworth Edwards, a Diamond State Telephone spokesman. "Maybe it's not polite to listen, but it is heard."

However, Ellsworth said people were not supposed to have police scanners tuned into the same frequency as telephone lines.

The man, who identified himself as a criminal justice student at the University of Delaware, told the student newspaper he was surprised by the things he heard.

"It just shocks me that people talk like this over the telephone," he said.

The man also said he was a member of a neighborhood crime prevention group and that he was just trying to prevent students from doing anything illegal.

"Ten percent of your students are beasts," he maintains.

TREKKIE ENTERTAINMENT

BY MANUEL ESPARZA

Star Trek has always been a parable of the Cold War, with the triad of tension that exists between the United Federation of Planets against both the Klingon Empire and the Romulans.

Keeping up with today's events, the evil empire begins to unravel in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. It seems in this case there is a cataclysmic disintegration in the Klingon's ability to have a livable atmosphere. Since their economy can neither support a rehabilitation of their atmosphere nor sustain their military might, the Klingons issue a desperate plea for assistance in colonizing worlds in Federation territory to keep themselves from becoming extinct.

Naturally after lifetimes spent hating and distrusting each other, there are strong factions on both sides opposing this.

The movie, filmed in glorious Panavision, is greatly enhanced by the computer-graphic effects from Industrial Light & Magic. This, combined with a sweeping score, sets the mood for the grandeur of space.

The film has several memorable scenes, such as the Enterprise hosting the Klingon envoys. The Klingons are well versed in Shakespeare and quote him freely. Penetrating Klingon territory, the Enterprise crew ably speaks Klingonese. The cast is also freer to poke fun at itself.

William Shatner starts out as a dark and brooding Kirk with an "ends justifying the means" attitude. He ends up a wiser man but is still a hot shot at the helm. Christopher Plummer is the one to watch. He has the role of General Chang, really a Klingon Captain Kirk. Though he did not get top billing, he is the star.

MAGIC AIDS AWARENESS

CAMPUSES USE AGGRESSIVE TACTICS TO EDUCATE

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

The nation's 13 million college students, mostly young adults savoring a newfound independence, are more likely to engage in sexual experimentation, yet will feel they're invincible to AIDS.

However, Magic Johnson's disclosure that he is infected with the AIDS virus has jolted campuses throughout the country, leaving students sobered and telephones at university health centers ringing off the hooks.

Johnson, 32, considered by many as the finest basketball guard of all time, revealed that he contracted the virus during a sexual liaison with a woman. He is retiring from basketball and will become an AIDS spokesperson.

Throughout the country, AIDS testing sites near universities have been flooded with requests, in some cases creating a three-week to one-month waiting period. At one university, 700 people crowded into a small auditorium to listen to a young woman describe what her life was like with HIV.

One in every 500 students is infected with HIV, according to a study by the Centers for Disease Control and the American College Health Association, and there is worry among AIDS officials that risky behavior will soon drive that figure higher.

An estimated 1 million to 1.5 million Americans are HIV positive. As of Sept. 30, the CDC reported 195,718 cases of AIDS in the United States and 126,159 AIDS deaths since 1981.

Current statistics on university students must not lead to complacency, said Dr. Mervyn Silverman, president of the American Foundation for AIDS Research, who admitted to a deep concern for the college-age population.

"Twenty percent of 200,000 AIDS cases are between ages 13 to 29, and we know that for half, it takes 10 years for symptoms to show up, so a number of them were infected as teens.

"Sadly, there tends to be a great deal of denial practiced by that age group," he said. "Generally, there seems to be a practice of what I call `Opthalmic Virology,' or `I can tell by looking at you if you have the virus.'

"We have three epidemics," Silverman said. "The first is the viral epidemic; it is greater and more silent. The second is the AIDS epidemic, which is the terminal phase of the disease, and the third is the epidemic of ignorance, bigotry, discrimination and apathy."

Some think Johnson will change things.

"I think fear is breaking through the denial. Magic Johnson makes it hard to keep denial going," said Andy Winzelberg, assistant director of health education at the University of California at Santa Barbara.

"I've noticed that students will use condoms with a new relationship, but when they fall in love, they stop using condoms. It's like they use condoms, and then tell their feelings, and then they say `Okay, I'm going to get on the pill,' " he said.

The Santa Barbara campus offers incoming freshman AIDS education, sponsors a one-week Safer Sex Fair, exhibits the famous AIDS quilt and sponsors well-attended shows by California celebrities such as a former Berkeley professor-turned-comic who is infected with HIV.

Winzelberg said one student group decided the only way to get students to use condoms was to have fun with them. Several members dressed up as giant condoms for Halloween.

"We give out free condoms. We're not encouraging people to be sexual. It's a fine line, but if they are sexual, we teach them to do it safely."

Dave Rompa, director of AIDS education and outreach at the University of Wisconsin, thinks the CDC statistics regarding college students are too conservative.

"This number is, in reality, much larger," he said. Rompa points out that students often have a different definition for "monogamy" than older citizens.

"We think of monogamy as one person for a long time, but a student thinks in terms of one person for two weeks," Rompa said.

The University of Wisconsin boasts one of the most aggressive AIDS programs in the country. Its AIDS center is funded by the general student fund and employs two full-time workers.

In addition, the center promotes a "bathroom patrol," where members target people who are cruising for sex and offer them condoms and AIDS literature.

"These are people who are not fully out of the closet," Rompa said, adding the center also offers a buddy system for students who are fearful of going alone to an AIDS testing site.

Wisconsin's AIDS headquarters is linked up with an already-existing Madison AIDS center that offers testing, counseling and material about HIV.

"I think it has finally hit home," said Renee Axiotis, health educator at Kent State University who said Johnson's revelation that he contracted the disease from a woman finally captured student attention.

"I wouldn't doubt that the numbers of infected students would rise, but I don't know if health centers will see them, because they will be out of college before the symptoms show," she said.

Kent State's student health organization sponsors a sexual health fair, hosts speakers to discuss the AIDS epidemic and promotes behind-the-scenes educational efforts such as residence hall programs.

"We are very concerned about AIDS," said Virgil Renzulli, public affairs director at New York University.

FRESH NEW PIPES

BY SALLY POUNCY

Watch out Mariah Carey fans, Inner Child, by Shanice (Wilson) is going to knock your socks off.

Shanice has fused rap, pop, rhythm and blues, and dance music into a package highlighting her tremendous vocal capabilties. Her first single from her latest album I Love Your Smile hit radio stations a few weeks ago and already is climbing up the pop charts.

CD and cassette buyers will be happy to know a bonus track re-mix of "I Love Your Smile" is available on both. Sorry, album lovers (wherever you are.)

"Stop Cheatin' on Me" will be another hit off of this album. Its catchy rhythms and phrases guarantee a chart-topping single.

Shanice's vocal gymnastics mesmerize her audience on songs such as "You Were the One," "I'm Crying" and "I'd Come Back this Hard." She has incredible control over her delivery and puts touching emotion into her work.

However, her youth shows through in some lyrical and humorous devices used in the album. "I Love Your Smile" has Shanice singing of sitting in a classroom not paying attention to her teacher, pretty dated material, but a sure-fire device to hook the high school-aged, MTV-crazed crowd.

She imitates Janet Jackson's giggle from Rhythm Nation and unnessarily borrows the idea of interludes between songs to make the album seem friendler. Both devices do nothing to add to the top-quality album, they are only the tell-tale signs of an adolescent adoration for her hero.

Shanice has a great future in store for her. With a vocal range ranking her among the greatest female singers of our time, she will undoubtedly turn out hit after hit on this album, and any album she makes in the future.

STUDENT ATHLETES BASH MAN IN TAVERN BRAWL

PLAYER VIOLENCE NOT UNCOMMON ACROSS CAMPUSES

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

Two University of Wisconsin football players and a former quarterback have been questioned by police about the beating of a man who was left partially paralyzed as a result of a barroom brawl.

The two players have been suspended for infractions of team rules, but no arrests have been made yet in the Oct. 31 beating of Keith Breneman, 20, of Rhinelander, Wis., outside a popular off-campus tavern.

Breneman was taken to the hospital with bruises to the brain, black eyes and possible facial fractures. He also was missing part of an ear. Hospital personnel declined comment about Breneman's condition, but family members said he has swelling to the brain, speaks in short phrases, is unable to walk without assistance and is undergoing treatment for paralysis of his right side.

Breneman, who had a .21 blood alcohol level, may be charged with underage drinking and possessing a fake I.D. card, officials said.

Madison police questioned two current football players, reserve linebacker Aaron Norvell, starting linebacker Gary Casper and former quarterback Sean Wilson, who is still a student, about their involvement in the fight.

Meanwhile, University of Wisconsin Football Coach Barry Alvarez has been criticized for allowing Casper and Norvell to travel to Illinois, where they played in the Wisconsin-Illinois game two days after the beating.

Alvarez said he allowed the players on the field in Illinois because investigations were pending. "I wanted to investigate it. I needed more time to find out exactly what went on," the coach said.

Alvarez suspended the players from playing in the Michigan State game the weekend after the fight because they broke team rules.

"The players were suspended because they broke team rules on (Oct. 31) -- where they were and what time they were out.

"I think people tend to be very judgmental, particularly because they are athletes," Alvarez said. "But I have to be fair to those kids."

Wisconsin Dean of Students Mary Rouse echoed Alvarez's sentiments.

"I have been worried that the football players, who are students and citizens, that they have been tried in the press and citizenry absent of any facts.

"Obviously, it was a tragedy and we hope the victim is recovering. But unfortunately, alcohol-related violence is really commonplace. Because football players are involved, there's been greater interest," she said.

The district attorney will determine whether any charges will be filed after police complete their reports.

Madison wasn't the only college campus where athletes were accused of violence. Two Clemson University redshirt freshmen linebackers were charged with assault and battery in connection with a scuffle after a Nov. 2 dance.

Roderick Adams, 19, and Timothy Leon Jones, 20, were both suspended from playing in upcoming games but continued to practice with the team.

"I feel it is in the best interests of the individuals involved, the team and the university that (Adams and Jones) not represent Clemson" in an upcoming game, Coach Ken Hatfield said.

Hatfield has told the press he was concerned about the frequency of his players' arrests. Since he took over two years ago, a defensive tackle was charged with assault in two separate incidents and a cornerback was fined for drunken driving.

More recently, in Baton Rouge, La., police arrested four Louisiana State University football players for disturbing the peace after a fight broke out in an athletic residence hall between members of the football and basketball teams.

Police say the Nov. 14 fight was over a girlfriend. The four arrested athletes were football players. One of them, James Jacquet, 20, was charged with battery in a separate incident in September.

KENNEDY RAPE ACCUSER`S PHOTO, NAME CAUSE STIR

PALM BEACH, FLA. STUDENT NEWSPAPER CAUSES CONTROVERSY

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

A college newspaper in Palm Beach, Fla. created a stir by publishing a photograph of the woman who has accused William Kennedy Smith of rape. And the editorial page editor said he would make the same decision again if necessary.

The Palm Beach Community College Beachcomber ran photos of Smith and the woman with an editorial that said Smith's career had been "irreparably damaged" by the rape allegation. The Nov. 4 editorial also said defendants have the right to be presumed innocent of wrongdoing until proved otherwise.

David Rupp, editorial page editor, said his newspaper was the first to publish the photo since a judge ruled a Florida law forbiding media from publishing or broadcasting an alleged rape victim's name, photo or other identifying information unconstitutional.

The Globe, a Florida-based tabloid, challenged the law after it published the woman's photo and was charged with a second-degree misdemeanor, punishable by a $500 fine and/or six months in jail. Currently the case is being appealed to a higher court.

Rupp said he realized the decision would get some reaction, but said he was not prepared for what followed.

"I can't believe it got the kind of attention it did," he said.

Rupp said he was contacted by wire services, television stations and the London Times about publishing the photo. He also was asked to defend his views during a radio talk show.

"I believe in equal disclosure," he said. "To allow one side to manipulate the press and use it to their advantage ... I don't feel it's fair."

Rupp acknowledged publishing rape victims' photos or names might discourage them from coming forward with charges. But he said he believed it was necessary to discover the truth in such cases. The legal system protects the rights of the alleged victim at the expense of the defendant, he said.

Although the Smith trial has generated a great deal of media attention, Rupp said he would make the same decision in any case of alleged rape. "If it was left up to me, absolutely," he said.

Jack Freese, spokesman for the Palm Beach State Attorney's Office, said he doubted prosecutors would seek charges against the student newspaper. The state law's constitutionality needs to be settled first, Freese said.

CAMPUS NEWSPAPER HELD TO HAZELWOOD RULING

OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY OFFICIALS ENFORCE PRIOR-REVIEW POLICY

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

The nation will celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Bill of Rights on Dec. 15. Yet, after two centuries, student newspapers are still fighting to uphold their constitutional rights to a free press.

And now, a 1988 Supreme Court ruling that gave high school officials broader power to censor school-sponsored student publications has some free press advocates fearing the same argument may be stretched to include college newspapers.

The Hazelwood vs. Kuhlmeier ruling specifically referred to the censoring of student publications when they are part of a school's curriculum and when the decision to censor is "reasonably related to legitimate pedagogical concerns."

The Student Press Law Center said that's what is happening at Ohio State University.

Last month, the student newspaper, The Lantern, began publishing under protest after the school attempted to enact a policy of prior review aimed at preventing libelous stories from running in the newspaper.

The student editors said it was censorship. Three weeks later, when the policy was approved, three editors and six reporters resigned and seven editors were fired.

"When I started my job, I asked what the policy was and they (the publication committee) told me there was no prior review," said former editor Debra Baker, a senior who quit because of the policy.

Ohio State runs its student newspaper as a laboratory for journalism classes. While most student reporters and copy editors and some reporters are paid by the school to run the paper. Financially, advertising sales make the newspaper independent.

The new policy, approved by the faculty of Ohio State's school of journalism, allows the faculty adviser of the newspaper to read stories prior to publication but does not give the adviser power to pull a story. Any disagreement between the editor and the adviser about a story and its potential for libel is given to an outside attorney to render a legal opinion about the story. The editor would then be forced to alter any parts declared libelous.

The policy came about because the university fears it will be liable for what appears in the newspaper; hence, if someone sues The Lantern for libel and wins, Ohio State said it has to pay.

Mark Goodman, executive director of the Student Press Law Center, disagrees. He said without the prior review policy the school would not be liable. He thinks Ohio State is attempting to expand the Hazelwood ruling.

"I think it's incredibly frightening that journalism administrators would include college journalism under Hazelwood," he said. "The criticism (Ohio State is) receiving now from professionals across the country is nothing compared to what would happen if they legally tried" to get a ruling that would include college publications under Hazelwood.

Ohio State said it is just trying to avoid a costly lawsuit.

Kevin Stoner, a journalism professor at Ohio State and chairman of the publications committee, was unavailable for comment. Earlier, he said the school was not trying to censor the paper and the unique model under which The Lantern is published makes the issue a difficult one to resolve.

"Until there is a case with a newspaper very, very similar to The Lantern, I don't think we'll have a definitive answer" to the question of who is liable if a student newspaper is sued for libel, Stoner told the Associated Press two weeks ago.

The students who resigned or were fired are now deciding what they want to do about the policy. Goodman said they have grounds for a lawsuit, but Baker said the group isn't certain if it wants to pursue one just yet.

"I think the most positive move is to change" the structure of the newspaper and become independent, Baker said. "I think the best thing to do is work to fix it." She said a lawsuit is possible, however, if no resolution can be made.

The Ohio State conflict is just one of many across the country. After the Hazelwood ruling, censorship of student publications started to rise.

Goodman estimates the law center receives about 500 calls each year about the issue. Only a fraction end up in court.

Currently, another censorship battle is brewing at Edinboro University in Pennsylvania, where the Student Government Association decided to stop funding the newspaper's outside media services that provided editorial cartoons and columns from writers Mike Royko, Dave Barry and others.

Last week, the SGA conducted a student survey at the university cafeteria and student union asking readers what they wanted to read in the newspaper.

"As far as funding is concerned, if the students don't want (Royko, etc.), we're not going to fund it," said Tina Brooks, SGA president. The absence of the columns "would open up some pages for more news," she said.

The SGA approves the student paper's line-item budget every year because The Spectator is not independent of the university. Brooks said The Spectator could not reallocate other funds to pay for the outside news service because the SGA approves each item on the paper's budget separately.

DOWNTOWN CRIMINAL JUSTICE STUDENTS PATROL LOCAL MALLS

CADET OFFICERS OFFER ESCORTS AFTER DARK

BY DAI HUYNH

With the rising crime rates in Houston, play it safe and call on the UH-Downtown police academy cadets to escort you when shopping at certain malls after dark.

Cadets attending the UH-Downtown Criminal Justice Center are volunteering their time assisting holiday shoppers out to their cars.

Shoppers are often easy prey for criminals. As a service to the community, the center, in conjunction with Foley's, devised this project to help prevent crimes, Associate Director of the Criminal Law Justice Center Rex White said.

The cadets are reminded they're not full-fledged police officers yet and should immediately contact mall officers if a dangerous situation arises. However, simply their presence may prevent a crime from being committed, White said.

For example, two cadets, David Grover and Ervin Martin, deterred car thieves at Memorial City Mall when they caught sight of them trying to break into a car last weekend. Ironically, the car belonged to the couple they were escorting, White said.

Martin said although the cadets are doing this as part of the law enforcement course requirement, which stipulates they must spend at least 10 hours doing community service, they also get personal satisfaction from the positive public response.

Both males and females approach the cadets for escort service. People feel more at ease being escorted to their cars, he said.

White said each cadet is required to spend at least three to four hours working at the mall, but a number of the cadets put in more hours because they like the opportunity to interact with the community.

"It's really impressive that the cadets would give up the time they could be spending on studying or with their family to help the community," White said.

Because of the limited human resources -- 60 cadets are involved in the project -- the center was only able to offer its assistance to three of the major malls: Greenspoint, Sharpstown Mall and Memorial City. The malls were selected on the basis the number of people who shop there and the higher potential for criminal activities to occur, White said.

The cadets will stand by the curbside of each mall entrance and anyone may approach to ask for assistance, he said.

Foley's Director of Security James Giese said the program has been favorably accepted by the public.

"All the retailers are very thankful that there's such fine law enforcement at UH-Downtown. And if success is measured by the wonderful comments from the mall employees and the public, the program has been a great success," he said. "The program has been so good that we might want to replicate this in some of our (out-of-state) markets."

White said he hopes to make this an annual project, but in the meantime the escort service will be offered Friday, Saturday and Sunday until Dec. 14.

The Criminal Justice Center is a self-sufficient program, training individuals to become police officers. The program began in 1976 as a community service for small-town law enforcement agencies unable to afford their own police training programs.

CONTROVERSIAL MAPLETHORPE EXHIBIT TOPIC OF UH LECTURE

BY REBECCA MCPHAIL

The controversy surrounding the Robert Maplethorpe photo exhibit of 1990 will be the topic of the second lecture of the UH Inventive Minds Series on Thursday.

Dennis Barrie, director of the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center and modern-day folk hero of the art world, will be delivering the lecture, entitled "Robert Maplethorpe, the First Amendment, and the Freedom of Expression."

The lecture will focus on Barrie's April 1990 indictment on obscenity charges.

The charges stem from the Contemporary Arts Center's exhibit, "The Perfect Moment," by the late photographer Robert Maplethorpe.

On the opening day, Cincinnati police officers ejected 500 visitors and shut the museum down for 90 minutes while they videotaped the photographs.

A grand jury later classified seven of the 175 photographs as pornographic. Five of the photos depicted acts of male homosexuality while the other two contained images of children with their genitals exposed.

Both Barrie and the museum were indicted under the charges of pandering obscenity and misuse of a minor in pornography. The penalties, if convicted, included a $10,000 fine for the museum and a $2,000 fine for Barrie and up to a year in jail.

Although he had advance warning from the police there would be problems if the exhibit opened intact, Barrie never considered dropping the offending photos.

In a commentary in the New York Times, Barrie wrote, "To delete one or another part, or the images some have labeled `homoerotic,' would be like ripping pages out of a book or excising key scenes from a play."

The art world breathed a sigh of relief on Oct. 5, 1990, as a Cincinnati jury acquitted both Barrie and the Contemporary Arts Center of all charges.

Although the trial centered around one man, many believe the outcome will affect many.

Barrie Cullinan, public relations coordinator at UH's Blaffer Gallery, said, "The decision is crucial and important. What happened to him is important to the art world."

Barrie's lecture was coordinated by the Blaffer Gallery in conjunction with their current exhibit.

"The Contemporary Arts Center organized the `Mike and Doug Starn' exhibit so we took the opportunity to ask him to speak here," Cullinan said.

While using his newfound celebrity status to defend free speech, Barrie said he is still suprised by the entire episode.

"I had never expected the opening of an art exhibition to be a crime," he wrote in the New York Times, "I certainly had never expected to be indicted for pandering obscenity."

MAYORAL WANNA BE'S MUD-SLINGING HITS HOME

LANIER ALLEGES TURNER NOT LOOKING AFTER STUDENT'S INTERESTS

`EXCLUSIVE' NEWS TIP CITES VOTE AS JIPPING STUDENTS

An "exclusive" news release sent to The Daily Cougar by Bob Lanier's campaign office may not be all it is cracked up to be.

On Nov. 26, Lanier Campaign Manager Craig Varoga sent an "exclusive press release to The Daily Cougar" blasting Lanier's mayoral opponent Sylvester Turner for voting to increase student tuition in the Texas Legislature's last special session.

"Turner voted to increase the tuition at state-run general academic teaching institutions from $100 to $120 for each semester or 12-week summer session and from $50 to $60 for each 6-week summer term or from $24 to $32 per semester credit hour, whichever is greater," the memo stated.

The release also stated that on Aug. 31, 1991 Turner voted to immediately implement a 16 percent increase over what was originally proposed in the tuition state residents pay to attend medical and dental schools, and a 10 percent decrease in what was originally proposed in the tuition out-of-state residents pay to attend medical and dental schools.

Veroga said, "In going through all his voting records this is what we found. This is the most blaring hypocrisy. Sylvester Turner is a Jekyll and Hyde when it comes to college education; he talks nice and then behaves terribly."

The tuition bill the Lanier camp is referring to is a 100-page document. Chair of the House Higher Education Committee Gary Watkins, D-Odessa, said there were some parts he didn't like, but it was an all-or-nothing bill and it contained much more of what he liked.

"You couldn't segregate this measure. The whole revenue bill came in one package," Watkins said.

More importantly, Watkins said the finalized bill was a compromise of State Comptroller John Sharp's original proposal for college tuition.

The Sharp proposal wanted to double tuition at colleges and universities -- and stipulated that 75 percent of the generated revenue would go to fund other state services -- not higher education.

In 1985, the Legislature voted to gradually increase tuition, to eventually be capped at $24 in 1995. Students now pay $20 per credit hour.

The tuition increase that Turner voted for raised tuition $2 next year, making it $24 -- instead of $22. The increase is gradual and ends in 1996 at $32.

Turner said he met with students, faculty and administrators and voted as higher education asked him to vote.

"My vote was what higher education wanted me to do, and what the students wanted me to do," Turner said Tuesday. "The other options (Sharp's proposal) would have been devastating to higher education. It was the best that we could do without devastating higher education."

Turner said Lanier has had a host of campaign workers looking into his background.

"That is his style of campaigning, and it shows he is desperate. I'm not interested in digging through Lanier's trash can," Turner said.

Turner said he has always been supportive of higher education and met with UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett and UH System administrators to try and help UH.

"There is no doubt in my mind I did what higher education wanted me to do," Turner said.

Dean of Social Sciences Harrell Rodgers, who heads UH's Legislative Relations Committee, said Turner was very supportive of higher education.

"He voted for the budget we were in favor of and was always there when we needed him," Rodgers said.

COUGAR SCALP INDIANS 72-54,

UPCHURCH SCORES GAME-HIGH 17

BY JAVIER GONZALEZ

After a slow and sloppy first half, the Houston Cougars roared to a 72-54 win over Arkansas State Tuesday night at Hofheinz Pavilion.

Forward Craig Upchurch led the charge scoring a game-high 17 points. Guard Sam Mack had 14 in the second half after being held to only two points in the first half.

Head Coach Pat Foster's bunch had trouble putting away a pesky Indian team. Entering the second half, the Cougars held a 22-18 lead, only to see it disappear.

Arkansas State held a 26-25 lead two minutes into the second half. Both teams exchanged baskets. With 16:08 remaining in the game, UH held a 31-30 lead -- the closest the Indians would get.

Upchurch pulled up for a seven-foot baseline jumper. Followed by two steals by Mack turned into four points, and the Cougars never looked back.

From that point Houston outscored Arkansas State 41-24 the rest of the way to run away with the win.

Foster was pleased with his team's second-half performance compared with their anemic performance, which saw UH score just 22 points in the opening half.

One reason the Cougars couldn't get on track was because Arkansas State's game plan was designed milk the clock.

"We generated tempo in the second half," Foster said. "But every possession in the first was like pulling teeth. We couldn't put any pressure on the ball because they ran down the clock. We couldn't run."

The Cougars started off in a match-zone, but had to go to man-to-man defense because of the Indians' slow tempo.

After having a cushion, Foster's bunch went back to the match-zone and were able to pull away because Arkansas State had to play catch-up.

"Defensively, we had some good possessions in the second half," Foster said. "I like this team. It's going to be great, but not now."

The Indians were able to stay within striking distance with help from forward Jay Cook and center Tyrone Hall. Both had 16 points. Cook shot 3-5 from three-point range.

Houston's record is 3-1, while Arkansas State falls to 1-3. UH is now 3-1 lifetime against the Indians.

Next for the Cougars is California-Irvine in the Disneyland Freedom Bowl Classic at Irvine on Dec. 6-7.