CROATIAN FIGHT FOR FREEDOM FILLS STUDENT'S MIND

Anton Pal Montano

This Christmas vacation, UH's Goran Radonic is simply hoping for some peace. Peace for himself, his family and for his homeland  the war-torn Republic of Croatia in Yugoslavia.

"What I think most about is my country," said Radonic, who will not go home until the end of the spring semester.

"Sometimes, I will find it difficult to converse with others because I only want to speak about Croatia.

"Croatia, that is my first thought, and all others come later," he said.

Radonic spends much time worrying about the destruction taking place in his country, he said.

Ignited by the attempts of the republics of Croatia and Slovenia to gain independence from Yugoslavia, the five-month-old war between Croatian nationalists and the Yugoslav People's Army, dominated by Serbians, has claimed an estimated 7,500 lives, injured more than 12,000 persons and displaced more than 100,000 people.

A Nov. 26 document sent from European Community monitors in Croatia to EC headquarters in Brussels reported Serbian troops often target "purely civilian targets with random fire" and are having small villages "bulldozed out of existence."

"Some days, I am even depressed and not in the mood to do anything because of the bad news I am receiving," Radonic said.

The residence hall room of the 28-year-old graduate student in computer science is testament to his preoccupation. The walls are bare. Radonic said he does not spend much time there. On his mind are his studies and the war.

"Normally, this master's program would be close to a vacation for me," Radonic said. "I am in another country, can meet new friends and can get to do things that normally students do besides studying.

"But, with all these situations in Croatia, I really can't enjoy myself as I might normally would," he said.

Still in Zagreb, the capital of Croatia, Radonic's family must endure the destruction of the war on a daily basis, he said.

"My father no longer works because he is a civil engineer and everything is being destroyed daily," Radonic said. "It's a total collapse in a sense."

Radonic's brother is on a reserve list for the Croatian resistance.

"Now, the resistance is still trying to save as many people as possible from fighting," Radonic said. "It is hard to fight such a sophisticated army with only the use of a simple rifle."

On Nov. 2, Radonic turned 28, but he did not celebrate.

"I remember receiving a letter from my mother who was writing me from the bomb shelter," Radonic said. "One is always kind of feeling guilty being here. I didn't feel like celebrating."

As he reads from the most recent letter, Radonic hears his mother describe the fall of Vukovar where more than 40,000 residents fled the city after 86 days of bombardment and combat by the Yugoslav army.

On his bed, Radonic points to a stack of appeals and news reports he has collected through a computer network that links him with his homeland.

One stack contains letters from Vukovar school children.

"I would like for the war to go, and for the mortars to stop," 10-year-old Mario Vulcik writes. "If there was no thunder and no bombed towns, we could live a fine life and play our games."

"They certainly hate us," said Radonic of the Serbian regulars in the Yugoslav army. "But, in these letters of the children, you will not find hatred."

Spurred to help his countrymen and in correlation with the national Croatian-American Association, Radonic has already collected some 1,000 signatures of UH students, faculty and alumni that will be sent to Washington to urge the U.S. government to recognize Croatian independence.

"It was a nice surprise," Radonic said. "I didn't expect people to so willingly sign.

"I, in return, was also willing to answer questions about Croatian geography, the cause for our fight for independence and freedom," Radonic said. "I do not want to forget to thank all those people who signed the petition."

In his closet, Radonic is storing clothes donated by students and faculty of the computer science department to send to Croatia.

"I ask my fellow students, apart from having an interest, to help with small donations for Croatian relief to the Red Cross and to try to urge the U.S. government to recognize us," Radonic said.

Meanwhile, reports from Croatia have recorded 70 deaths and nearly 600 injuries since the 14th cease-fire attempt on Nov. 24.

"Croatia has been exploited for these 50 years to the point where half our national income was going to Belgrade," Radonic said. "Under communist rule, the culture was also suppressed even to the point where we could not even call ourselves Croatian.

"We have been forced to live all these years under suppression and can do so no more."

************************************************************

MAGIC CAUSES STUDENT RUSH

DAILY COUGAR

Magic Johnson's announcement he was HIV positive has prompted a rash of students to inquire about tests at the UH Health Center, officials said.

Dr. Billie Smith, Health Center director, said the number of students receiving the HIV test has almost doubled since Johnson's announcement.

In September, 39 people received HIV tests; in October, 40; in November, there were 66; and from Dec. 1 through 4 , the center has given 15 people tests, Smith said.

Previously the average was in the high 20s to 30 per month, she said.

"Early diagnosis is important because intervention with AZT or other anti-viral drugs can help, and it's important to establish an immune status counting T-cells," Smith said.

All of these procedures can be done at the Health Center, she said. But she said only two people have tested positive this semester.

One female student who asked for anonymity said the procedures adhered to by the Health Center are anything but confidential.

"It was just terrible. When I went to the Health Center to get an HIV test, the lady at the counter wasn't sure whether they even conducted the tests. She hollered to the lady behind her shouting 'Do we give HIV tests?' and the other lady hollered, 'I don't know let me find out if we give the test.' I was horrified," she said.

When she came back the next week to get the test, while waiting in a packed reception area, a nurse came out and asked loud enough for everyone to hear if she was "the one waiting for the AIDS test." She said everyone looked at her and she was "totally humiliated."

Smith said she was "very sorry" for what the student experienced and would like to personally express her apologies to her.

She said the Health Center tries to keep all details of the testing procedure confidential. She advises people to come to the clinic and ask to see a nurse or doctor and wait until they are in a separate screening area to explain they want the test.

The cost of the HIV test is $10, and the blood test can be performed the day you seek the test. The results will be completed within one week at the latest, Smith said.

However, Smith said Mondays are not good days because of all the people sick from the weekend. She also said to come before 4 p.m.

Biology professor E.O. Bennett said a negative test does not necessarily mean you don't have the virus.

After exposure to the virus, it could show up on an HIV test in a few months or up to three years, Bennett said.

However, Smith said the majority of the cases prove positive in four to six weeks. Some cases don't show up until six months or a year later, but these are "very rare."

Smith said if people are thinking about having a sexual relationship they should both be tested and come back for another test three months later. She said she advocates waiting at least six months before having sex without a condom and have another test first but she said "there are no guarantees because of the rare cases."

"There should be an avoidance of all anal intercourse at all cost, even with a condom," Smith said.

Smith advises people to know their sexual partner very well and avoid IV drug users.

Bennett said if people are contemplating a serious relationship or marriage and have been sexually active, they should both be tested and use a condom for up to two years. If they still test negative, they are probably safe.

"Gonorrhea has a 14-day incubation period so you only had to be concerned about the people a person slept with in the past 14 days, he said. "But now when you crawl between the sheets with someone, you have 11 years of past relationships to contend with."

If you have sex with someone, Bennett advises using a latex condom  not lambskin  and use a spermicide. A woman should douche afterwards, and take a soapy shower, he said. This is the safest way, barring abstinence, to have sex, he said.

The AIDS virus is very fragile, and spermicide is thought to kill the virus. However, there have been no studies conducted to verify this claim, he said.

Smith said women are 18 to 20 times more likely to become infected than men because the vaginal mucous membranes are more receptive. A patient can have the virus in the urine, ejaculate, saliva, blood, tears and stool.

Early clinical symptoms are: night sweats, unexplained weight loss of 10 pounds or more, swollen lymph glands, fatigue, frequent diarrhea, skin blotches, fever of more than 99 degrees for more than 10 days, persistent dry cough and shortness of breath.

FINAL EXAMS CREATE TENSION HEADACHES

By Rhonda Hector

The medical term for it is "situational stress," but to students the panic brought on by finals can be totally disabling if they are not prepared for it.

Students studying for finals "is the greatest historical example of situational stress," said psychology professor Richard Evans.

"So much rides on grades, that motivation in the academic world is not the love for learning," Evans said. "It's fear of failure and bad performance."

To help students cope with finals, the Counseling and Testing Center will offer a "Reducing Test Anxiety" seminar at 2 p.m. today and at 1 p.m. tomorrow in the Social Work Building, Room 333.

A study done at Ohio State University showed the stress brought on by final exams affected students' immune systems.

"The number of good, healthy cells actually began to drop during the period of time that the students were preparing for finals," Evans said. "But the number rose again after the exams were over."

One explanation for the stress is a high percentage of students wait until the last minute to begin studying.

"Trying to cram one's brain with lots of facts in a short period of time, just doesn't work," said Rosemary Hughes, assistant director of the Counseling and Testing Services. "Continual reviewing can also prevent the memory from functioning correctly."

Another reason students get anxious before finals is some of the unexperienced teachers are ambiguous in what the expect, Evans said.

"Students should insist on a more rigorous description of what will be on the final," Evans said.

Finals affect many aspects of students' lives, including their eating habits.

"I eat smart food, Doritos, pizza, Subway sandwiches, M&Ms and lots of macaroni and cheese," said Jennifer Swantkowski, a senior majoring in psychology. "I tend to gain a lot of weight during finals."

Many students turn to coffee, cokes and Vivarin to stay awake and alert for studying, but Barbara Browner, chief nurse at the UH Health Center, suggests students stay away from caffeine products.

"My own personal remedy is that you should drink orange juice instead of coffee," Browner said. "Orange juice is high in potassium and glucose that keeps you going, coffee just keeps you jumping."

Physical activity is also helpful in reducing anxiety.

"I like to get outdoors and get some exercise," said Scott Martin, a junior majoring in biology.

Most students find taking time out helps them deal with the stress of studying.

"I go out to eat or to a movie, just something to totally get away," said John Duncan, a junior majoring in accounting.

Students should remember stress is infectious, Hughes said. "It isn't a good time to get together with other students that are feeling panicky."

Some students find other hazards in studying with friends.

"I find that a lot of time spent studying in groups is wasted with talking and socializing," said Eric Reed, a senior majoring in accounting/finance.

Avoiding negative self talks during exams; such as "I wonder why I'm finished before her?" and focusing on positive ideas is important, Hughes said.

"Remember that you have been successful before," Hughes said. "Or you wouldn't be at this university."

HOTEL STUDENTS SERVE ABANDONED CHILDREN

BY REBECCA McPHAIL

Aside from their usual duties, this weekend the members of the Hotel and Restaurant Management Society will be serving up Christmas Cheer.

On Sunday, Dec. 15, the HRMS will serve dinner in the UH Hilton ballroom to about 50 abandoned children from the L'Amour Village emergency children's shelter.

HRMS member Danny Arocha introduced the idea in one of the group's meetings, and it was instantly accepted and, Arocha said, "it's been nonstop ever since."

Due to the group's enthusiastic response, Arocha, along with HRMS Vice President Byron Burt, decided to take the idea to Hotel and Restaurant Management Dean Joseph Cioch.

"The dean was very cooperative and agreed to let us use the ballroom and the kitchen," Burt said.

After the dean's initial donation, other groups jumped in to help. Par Excellence will provide the decorations and the Texas Restaurant Association-Cougar Chapter will be performing kitchen duties. Preliminary plans are under way for the UH choir to serenade the children with Christmas carols.

Burt is pleased with the groups' progress. "At first it was only an HRMS thing," he said. "But it's really grown into a lot more."

Aside from helping a worthy cause, Arocha believes the dinner will show something to the community.

"College students seem to have a bad reputation," Arocha said. "This is our chance to show that there a lot of students who care."

With this year's dinner still in the planning stages, members of HRMS are already talking about the possibility of next year's event.

"Hopefully we're starting something," Burt said.

Even if future plans don't pan out, Arocha is pleased with the group's efforts.

"Tell me a class that gives you this feeling and I'll take it," he said. "I'll take it every semester."

THE SPORTS STAFF'S LOOK INTO THE CRYSTAL BOWL

BY JAVIER GONZALEZ

Mobil Cotton Bowl--Texas A&M vs. Florida State

This game will provide the Southwest Conference a chance to recapture some of the respect it lost after Texas' 46-3 drubbing in last year's Cotton Bowl at the hands of the Miami Hurricanes.

Aggie Head Coach R. C. Slocum will have his No. 1-ranked defense ready to stop the potent Seminole running game led by tailback Amp Lee. Texas A&M linebackers Quentin Coryatt, Marcus Buckley, Jason Atikinson and Otis Nealy will not only have stop the Florida State running game, but also pressure quarterback Casey Weldon.

Offensively, the Aggies will have a tough time running on Florida State, forcing quarterback Bucky Richardson to throw the ball. Look for the Seminole secondary, led by sophomore sensation cornerback Terrell Buckley, to have a big day.

The speed of Florida State will offset A&M's aggressiveness on defense and offense. However, the Aggies could catch the Seminoles on a down note. Florida State is coming off two heartbreaking losses in a row to state rivals Florida and Miami.

Prediction: Florida State 24 - Texas A&M 21.

Orange Bowl--Nebraska vs. Miami

What can you say? The Miami Hurricanes are the best in the nation, with respect to Don James' Washington Huskies. They are playing in a major bowl in their home stadium, where Miami hasn't lost since Sept. 7, 1985 when they lost to Florida 35-23. Head Coach Dennis Erickson will have his team ready.

Nebraska barely got by an overrated Oklahoma squad. The Cornhuskers like to run the option to the outside. Miami's speed will negate Nebraska's offense. Without a running game, Nebraska's offense comes to a complete halt.

Prediction: Miami 35 - Nebraska 10.

Rose Bowl--Michigan vs. Washington

The Granddaddy of the Bowls will feature the best match-up on New Year's Day. Heisman Trophy candidate Desmond Howard and the No. 4-ranked Wolverines will take on Lombardi Award winner defensive tackle Steve Emtman and the No. 2-ranked Huskies.

Washington will make its case for a national title by stopping Howard and puncturing the biggest offensive line in college football. Emtman will be matched up on 300-plus offensive tackle Greg Skrepnak.

Prediction: Washington 21 - Michigan 20.

Sugar Bowl--Florida vs. Notre Dame

It's party time in New Orleans. The Florida Gators' high-powered offense, led by quarterback Shane Matthews, will punch through the thin defensive line of the Fighting Irish. This could be Irish Coach Lou Holtz' last game, as the NFL's Minnesota Vikings come calling.

Prediction: Florida 38 - Notre Dame 28.

Blockbuster Bowl--Colorado vs. Alabama

This one won't be a chartbuster like last year's Florida State-Penn State show. Two running teams equal a short game with boring results.

Prediction: Alabama 17 - Colorado 14.

Independence Bowl--Georgia vs. Arkansas

The Hogs get acquainted with their new Southeastern Conference mate, and it may not be fun.

Prediction: Georgia 24 - Arkansas 13.

Copper Bowl--Baylor vs. Indiana

Da Bears Head Coach Grant Teaff is no Ditka, but his defense should be able to stop Indiana running back Vaughn Dunbar thanks to All-American Santana Dotson.

Prediction: Da Bears 20 - Indiana 14

Holiday Bowl--Iowa vs. BYU

Brigham Young quarterback Ty Detmer may not want to step on the field at Jack Murphy Stadium. He is still seeing Aggie linebacker William Thomas coming at him. Last year Detmer separated both shoulders in that game.

Prediction: Iowa 35 - Brigham Young 24.

Fiesta Bowl--Penn State vs. Tennessee

What are all the Teasippers upset about? UT made it to a major bowl this year. Well, it's the other UT, but they too wear orange.

Prediction: Penn State 31 - Tennessee 20.

THE BEST AND WORST OF COUGAR SPORTS, FALL 1991

BY RANDY BAZAN

Now that the post-season awards are coming out, it's time again for the prestigious Daily Cougar Awards. Each winner will take home a beautiful Javier Gonzalez Trophy, named in honor of the famous Cougar sports reporter. This handsome trophy would make an eloquent addition to any trophy case. Now, the envelopes please:

Used car salesman award: To UH football Coach John Jenkins for passing off a Yugo football team as a Ferrari.

Timex purple heart award: To quarterback David Klingler for being able to take a licking and . . . well, you know the rest.

Offensive player of the year award: To Klingler for becoming the most prolific passer in Southwest Conference history.

Defensive player of the year award: Linebacker Ryan McCoy for leading the team in tackles.

Special teams player of the year award: Roman Anderson for becoming the leading scorer in NCAA history.

Newcomer of the year award: Freddie Gilbert for leading the nation in receiving.

Biggest offensive disappointment award: John Brown III for never living up to his potential.

Biggest defensive disappointment award: Jerry Parks. After leading the country in interceptions last year, he missed most of the season with a leg injury.

Biggest surprise of the year: TiAndre Sanders from emerging from the pack as the leading superback. His outstanding play has solidified the position for next year.

The "Hey Mon" award: To defensive coordinator Ben Hurt who, according to the media guide, was an assistant coach for both UH and Texas A&M from 1972-74.

Special award for worst Nostradamus imitation: The entire Daily Cougar sports staff for unanimously predicting Houston to win the SWC (The Yugo is getting great gas mileage, thank you).

Special award for best Nostradamus imitation: Cougar sports editor Mike Rosen for running a headline saying the Lady Cougars stuffed Lamar one day before the game was played (They indeed stuffed the Cardinals).

Team of the semester award: The UH volleyball team for making the NCAA tournament.

Best basketball nickname award: Sam "the Mack Truck" Mack, or "Big Mack Attack."

Scholar athlete of the year award: Point guard Derrick Daniels who when asked (in the media guide) what he would be doing if he wasn't playing college basketball, said, "Trying to pursue an education."

UH coach of the semester: Volleyball Coach Bill Walton for leading the Lady Cougars through another successful season.

All heart award: Safety Kenny Perry for maximizing his God- given ability, or lack thereof, and becoming the leader of the defense.

Deep pockets award: John and Rebecca Moores for donating $25 million to the beleaguered athletics department to build Ferraris.

The beggars can't be choosers award: To the student body for complaining about the allocation of someone else's money.

CURFEW INTENTION: CURB LOCAL GANG ACTIVITY

BY MELISSA NEELEY

While most UH students are not directly affected by the passing of a city ordinance dictating a curfew for people under the age of 18, the law has stimulated debate about its effects and intentions both on and off campus.

UH students' opinions ranged from doubting the curfew's effectiveness to anger because they viewed it as an unnecessary instrument of governmental control.

High school students informally surveyed outside a local bookstore said they feel their rights are being curtailed.

"I'm here as a person with rights, and it is my duty to speak out when those rights are endangered. Through passing this curfew, City Council has said that they know more than my parents or myself about what is good for me," said Amy Auzenne, a senior at Jones High School.

One of the main reasons why this ordinance was passed was to combat juvenile gang activity and crime. "No one, adolescent or otherwise, is going to stop in the middle of an illegal act and say, `Darn! 11:30...' And because of the reasons why a young person can be out legally after midnight, making them just as much a target for crime as those who have no legal justification, are we to assume that all the criminals and perpetrators of crimes against young people are suddenly going to stop because potential victims are going to or coming from a church, school or government building?" Auzenne said.

"If you want to stop violence on the streets, the criminals are the ones you want to stop, not all the teenagers," said Emily Lawrence, a junior at Lamar High School.

"The curfew is a blanket statement. It stereotypes all teenagers as being rebellious of the law and of adults," Lawrence said.

Kate Ellis, a senior at Bellaire High School, said several of her friends over 17 had been warned by police outside of clubs and would have been fined if they had been underaged.

"I think that if kids work during the week, they should be allowed to have fun on the weekends. If they are getting ticketed or threatened, then they will not be going out late at night. We've got the support of Fitzgerald's and The Axiom, and we're going to stand outside of the clubs and get registered voters to sign a petition for City Council to look at," Ellis said.

Section 28-172 of the curfew ordinance states it is "unlawful for any minor to knowingly remain, walk, run, stand, drive, or ride about, in or upon any public place in the city between the hours of 9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., Mon., Tues., Wed., Thur., or Fri."

For City Council to even consider repealing an ordinance, 10,000 signatures must be presented to them under the repeal or revised statement, Lawrence said.

The high school students said their schools did not want any part in the fight against the curfew. Passing out pamphlets concerning the curfew is prohibited on school grounds, and they must be secretive when they talk about it. "You have to go to certain teachers who understand the dilemma and will let you put up information about it (the curfew). They (school officials) don't want to be associated with anything against it," Ellis said.

The candidates have not spoken against the curfew because it is an election year and they want to find some solution to crime without offending voters, Auzenne said.

"I'm not saying that City Council does not care for me as a human being, but they're playing the political game. They want to get re-elected; they can't do anything for or against me unless they are re-elected," she said.

"I support the nighttime curfew, and I initiated the daytime curfew. There are 69,000 students who dropped out of school last year. With the daytime curfew, we can keep people from dropping out because they usually start out by being truant," City Council Member Beverly Clark said.

"I don't see why any young person should be out after midnight, and, for that matter, why any adult should be out after midnight," she said.

If a young person has a legitimate excuse such as a school excursion, work or a government or religious-sponsored activity, his rights to be out after midnight will be recognized, Clark said.

"If you treat a police officer with a pleasant attitude, why should he hassle you? We are working to educate the police so they can be informed about what this (ordinance) means. We don't want the police to hassle the young people," Clark said.

One UH student, Fabian Reta, 21, a junior majoring in RTV, said the curfew also exists in his hometown of San Antonio. "I look at it as another reason for the police to pull me over and search my car for alcohol. From a distance, I can look 17."

"If I have a beer at the bar and they (the police) pull me over because it's after midnight, that is just another reason to try to get me on D.W.I.," Reta said.

Adam McCrary, a senior majoring in journalism, said he did not think it mattered whether or not there was a curfew. "I work with people younger than 18 at Chili's. They're planning to stay out until 3 or 4 a.m. still; these are girls and I think that they can get away with it a little easier. Girls can dress up and look older than they are. But teenagers might get into trouble if they are racing around drinking beer," he said.

OVERBOOKING CREATES LOUNGE LIZARDS IN TOWERS

BY DAVE DAVIS

With only two weeks left in the fall semester, students are still living in the lounge areas of the Moody Towers.

Students who were told they would have to set up temporary residence in the Moody Towers student lounge areas are still there after four months.

Brian Wilson, a freshman majoring in accounting, is one of more than 100 students this semester who was asked to stay in a lounge until space became available.

"I received my acceptance letter a few days before I moved in, and when I got here, they said the dorms were all full, and they asked me if I wanted to stay in a lounge," Wilson said.

Terry Bridges, area housing coordinator, said the university has a policy of overbooking on purpose in anticipation of space eventually becoming available.

"Some people might say that we're like the airlines, but the difference is we tell students in advance they they will be staying in the lounges," he said.

Bridges said the Towers encounter a high "no show" rate because of students who decide not to move in each semester. It is more convenient for students to be placed in temporary housing units rather than trying to find housing off campus, he said.

"We have booked to 100 percent in the past and then turned students away, and then rooms become available two weeks later," Bridges said. "We end up with a lot of irate parents on our hands."

Bridges said the Towers has successfully placed about 100 students who were in temporary housing units into residence hall rooms. Currently, 15 women and 15 men are living in lounge areas.

Students who remained in the lounges all semester will be refunded $200 of the approximately $3,000 paid in residence fees. Those students will also be given priority for hall space in the spring.

Some students suggested the university ease its strict leasing policy so students who wanted to move out of the Towers could do so without paying a penalty. Former Towers resident Eugenie Graf said she wanted to move out of the Towers sooner, but because of the mandatory one-year lease policy, she was unable to do so.

"It's ridiculous that students like me can't move out of the Towers without paying $400 when there are students waiting in line for those rooms," Graf said.

Some students actually prefer the lounges to the regular rooms. Moody Towers resident Cindy Carullo said she petitioned the residence hall director to allow her to move into the lounge after her roommate's constant smoking became a problem.

"I wanted to move into the lounge," Carullo said. "They're bigger than the dorm rooms, they're smoke-free and they have cable TV."

Wilson said he has no problem with living in the lounge, and he is happy there was adequate housing available.

"There's nothing wrong with living in the lounge except there are no closets and no drawers, which is fine because I'd probably just throw my clothes under the bed anyway," Wilson said.

SOCIAL ISSUES OFFER IDEAS FOR ART

ERICKA SCHICHE

Students strolling past the Fine Arts Building on their way to take finals might be taken aback at the sight of several huge syringes, a pope's hat or a scarlet red and golden-colored cross.

Part of the Second Annual South Park Annex Outdoor Sculpture show, these works reflect not only the diversity of talent within the sculpture department, but also the opinions and interests of the 39 student artists whose work is being displayed.

"Televangelists, the scandals some of them have been involved in, inspired me," said Sally Turpin, a sophomore majoring in art whose wooden cross seemed to attract the most attention from passersby.

Turpin said some of the corruption and "big money" involved in the scandals led her to design the work, titled Send It In, which has a steel base and is partially covered with a red velvet-like fabric.

The syringes, made from welded-together steel drums, poles and soda cans, occupy another section, near the Social Work Building. The white numerical markings, in increments of 10, decorate the surface of the rusty drums. Mounted atop the drums are soda cans, arranged in the form of a needle.

Chris Malone, a junior majoring in art, said the construction of his work titled Medical Waste did not pose a problem.

"Coming up with the idea is always the hardest part," he said.

Malone said the idea of syringes littering beaches and the waste problem inspired him to create the sculptures.

The influence of Leonardo da Vinci's drawing of the male anatomy is evident in sculpture student Troy Engel's metal work titled If Leonardo Had an Arc Welder, which consists of steel wheels.

Other works displayed in the show include a John and Rebecca Moores-inspired football field (created by Phyllis Evans and Lisa Fisher), a plaster sculpture of a headless woman (James McLaughlin's work titled Indifference To Stone), which has multi-colored wires sprouting from the neck and a display of real and fake fur coats, which are attached to several trees (created by Andrea Garza).

Some of the works are participant-oriented, giving art enthusiasts the opportunity to either play with or become one with the sculptures. An example of this type of work is the pope's hat (created by Jeff Poss, Juan Salazar and Noelle Edwards), which reveals a plastic Santa Claus when spun around.

The show, which includes 17 entries, will continue through Dec. 18.

GRADUATES RECEIVE HIGH MARKS FROM EMPLOYERS

By Kathy Allen

Overall, UH students received high marks from employers according to the annual campus recruitment survey, distributed to department heads.

The survey, compiled by the UH Career Planning and Placement Center, is a summary of the responses received from 27 percent of the 488 employers who recruited on campus last year. The employers were asked to comment about the UH students, curriculum, placement services and alumni who they have hired.

The majority of employers were impressed with the maturity, academic preparation, relevant work experience and polished look of the UH graduates.

Those employers who were critical of students most frequently cited lack of communication skills and lack of company knowledge.

A student may have a good academic record and the background for the job, but if the student cannot present himself in a convincing, professional manner, his resume won't get looked at, said Chris Li, assistant director of Career Planning and Placement.

The placement center assists students in their interview preparation by offering a one-hour basic interviewing skills workshop where students are able to get a preview of frequently asked interview questions, including some of the more difficult questions designed to put pressure on students, said Carol Beerstecher, a career counselor.

Additionally, a practice interview workshop is offered where students may volunteer to be videotaped while doing a mock interview. The student then receives feedback from the counselor and other workshop participants, but most importantly can see for themselves what they need to improve.

"First impressions mean so much," Beerstecher said. "Probably, the video is one of the fastest ways to learn what is effective in interviewing and what is not. There's nothing quite as good as seeing yourself on tape and how your respond, how you sound and what your non-verbal behavior is like. It usually is a real eye-opener."

Beerstecher said she realizes many students have trouble finding the time to attend the workshops. She recommends a good alternative is to enlist the help of a friend to set up a practice interview and, if possible, videotape it.

The placement center also offers assistance in researching prospective employers.

"Not all students were prepared with well-thought-out questions. They had not decided why they were interested in our organization, or what skills they had to offer," wrote one employer.

"It is impressive when and interviewee knows about your organization," wrote another employer.

Interviewers expect students to have done some basic research on their company, Beerstecher said. The placement center maintains literature and some videos on companies recruiting on campus.

The placement center incorporates the survey feedback into their workshops, Li said. The feedback helps the center improve the services they provide to the companies.

The survey is sent to the academic departments so they may have a better idea of the kind of academic preparation that employers are expecting, Li said. If more information is needed, the placement center can arrange a meeting between the employer and the academic department.

Virtually all of the employers gave both the placement office and the UH alumni at their companies high marks.

FRATS RAISE THOUSANDS

MICHICA GUILLORY

Service and social Greek organizations at UH have donated countless hours of their time and approximately $137,439 to public service groups all over Houston.

One of the largest amounts of donated money, $100,000, was raised by Chi Omega through their Kaleidoscope Arts and Crafts Festival at the George R. Brown Convention Center. Some of the funds went to UH's Speech and Hearing Clinic, Hermann Hospital and The Center for the Retarded, Chi Omega President Margery Gehan said.

The John-A-Thon, a Delta Upsilon campus fundraiser, earned approximately $850, which went to a local food bank. Fraternity members took turns sitting on a toilet in front of the University Center for 100 hours, President J.C. Lopez said. The group has also done a clothing drive for the Star of Hope Mission.

And as if sitting on a commode in public was not enough, Sigma Chi had their 17th annual Fight Night which raised $2,000. The proceeds went to the Cleo Wallace Center and the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Sanctioned by the American Boxing Federation, representatives from campus Greek organizations fought each other in the ring. They participated in 15 matches and had 15 winners. Crystal Brown, Sigma Gamma Rho president, was crowned the new Fight Night Queen this year.

Tau Kappa Epsilon held a blood drive with the M.D. Anderson Blood Center this semester, yielding 162 units of blood, the largest amount of blood donated in a single drive, said Dan Reid, TKE president.

Each unit of blood is worth $59 and contains 450 milliliters, officials at The Blood Center said.

Sigma Gamma Rho, one of four black sororities on campus, raised $5,000 this semester. Most of the money went to the United Negro College Fund, Brown said. The group also did work with various organizations around Houston. They served Thanksgiving dinner for the Star of Hope Mission and did volunteer work for the Association for Retarded Citizens.

The Gong Show is back thanks to the women of Delta Zeta. They held their own rendition of the television hit and raised about $2,750, said Peggy Sheridan, Delta Zeta president. The funds were donated to the Houston School for Deaf Children and Gallaudet University, the only accredited school for those with speech and hearing impairments, Sheridan said.

Delta Sigma Theta, also a black sorority, donated $300 among many charitable groups, said Harlicia Jackson, chair of the Delta Sigma Theta fund-raising committee.

Some of the money was sent to Foster Parents Plan, and $200 was used for Christmas shopping for two children. They also visit the Phoenix Outreach Center every Friday and serve as role models for mentally, sexually and physically abused children, Jackson said.

Men were the hot items at the Zeta Tau Alpha Male Beauty Pageant, which raised $3,000, President Jennifer Link said. Most of the contestants were from other Greek organizations, but any male was welcome to enter.

The undergraduate chapter of Phi Beta Sigma, one of the four black fraternities at UH, raised $400 through car washes and entrance fees at parties, fraternity President Clifford McBean said. The money was given to the food bank and used in a tutoring program at Jack Yates High School as rewards to students for academic improvement, said Alexander Brown, Phi Beta Sigma's graduate adviser.

Here's a summary of what other Greek organizations have done this semester:

$ Alpha Kappa Alpha raised about $800, which was partially used to benefit the United Way, Education Advancement Foundation, Historically Black Colleges and Universities and for Senior Citizens Day.

$ Sigma Nu raised about $2,500 from their annual Gameball Run for the American Heart Association and $5,000 for the Special Olympics through a basketball tournament.

$ Delta Gamma raised $3,500 with their Anchor Splash and Putt-Putt Tournament fees. The money went to the Delta Gamma Foundation for the Blind and Lighthouse for the Blind in Houston.

$ Zeta Phi Beta had a food drive and a diaper drive for the Star of Hope Mission.

$ Delta Sigma Phi donated about $250 to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

$ Phi Mu donated their time to the Texas Children's Hospital by dressing up for Halloween and playing games with the children.

$ Alpha Chi Omega donated about $1,700 for the Alpha Chi Omega Foundation, which will be distributed by the national organization among charities.

$ Pi Kappa Alpha raised $250 from flag football for Big Brothers and Sisters of Houston.

$ Beta Theta Pi held a car wash to raise $300 for Unicef and a walk-a-thon to raise $125 for Juvenile Diabetes.

$ Phi Sigma Kappa had a 48-hour Nintendo-thon to raise money for Big Brothers and Sisters of Houston, Muscular Dystrophy, M.D. Anderson and participated in the Adopt-a-Highway program.

Unlisted organizations were not available for comment or have not yet begun any community service activities.

MINORITY RECRUTING AILS

BY MELISSA NEELEY

Limited funding is creating difficulties for the university to hire qualified minority professional and administrative employees, a UH official said.

Grace Butler, associate vice president of faculty affairs, said the minority faculty recruitment incentive program, is working on the problem by offering financial support to departments that hire black and Hispanic faculty members.

"Due to legislation, there has been a restriction of funds. While student enrollment has gone up, faculty salaries have gone down. It is difficult to hire a qualified faculty member to teach a chemistry or any class of 500 students for limited pay when he can be hired elsewhere to teach a class a fifth of the size and be given more pay," said Dorothy Caram, interim to the assistant to the president for Affirmative Action.

There are faculty searches as well as joint initiatives with the Office of Human Resources to find qualified minority employees, she said. Because of affirmative action, it is not easy to attract the minorities wanted at UH since they are in high demand by other universities, she said.

According to statistics released by the office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, there were 913 faculty members who held professional and administrative positions at UH. Out of these positions, whites held 668, blacks held 90, Hispanics held 47 and Asians held 108.

"There are outreach programs to recruit minority students and a higher education coordinating form given to graduating minority students. These students go into a pool and when a position is being sought, you can look in this pool to see if someone in it meets your criteria," Caram said.

There were 6,053 UH graduate students in fall 1989. Of these students, 4,351 were white, 244 were black, 227 were Hispanic, 228 were Asian and 978 were international students from such countries as Iraq and Iran.

Since 1985, UH has been involved in increasing its efforts to recruit larger numbers of qualified minority faculty members in the form of the minority faculty recruitment incentive program.

"Last year we hired 11 blacks and Hispanics through this program, and this year we hired either 10 or 11 faculty members from these minorities," Butler said.

"(This program) is for faculty who are on tenure track who would be coming to the university from wherever they happen to be. They might be professional people just getting started with a professorship. It depends on the department and who they recruit to fill in the position," she said.

The program covers recruitment expenses for campus visits of black and Hispanic scholars who are under consideration for faculty appointment. There is also a cost-sharing program which applies only to tenure track or tenured roles for blacks or Hispanics. During the first year of this program, 80 percent of the minority faculty member's salary is supplied centrally and 20 percent comes from the specific college where he or she is employed. In the second year, 70 percent of the faculty member's salary is supplied centrally and 30 percent by the college. The third year's salary and time thereafter is supplied both centrally and by the particular college in equal amounts.

"We don't designate money to particular departments. Anyone who recruits a minority faculty person, and they let us know that this is the person they want to hire, then, we make those funds available. This program is available to all the campus.

"This program provides an additional resource of dollars for departments and their recruiting efforts. It provides an incentive for faculty who are also looking for other faculty to attract to the university.

"It offers us a resource to bring greater diversity to this campus. We all benefit when we have a diverse constituency. We have a better opportunity to exchange ideas, viewpoints, perspectives, and so forth," Butler said.

TUITION INCREASES CAUSE LOW GRADES, REDUCED CLASS LOAD

By Gayle Weiss

Traditionally, many college students have jobs to assist with tuition. But with the recent tuition increase, students are finding it necessary to work even more hours to keep up with financial demands.

According to 50 UH students polled from a cross-section of majors and ethnic backgrounds, the result has been a reduced class-load and diminishing grades.

Seventy-two percent of students surveyed found it necessary to drop at least one class this semester in order to work more hours, and 80 percent said their grades have dropped because of longer hours at work.

Cheryl Williams, a junior majoring in biology, said she had to drop two classes this semester to keep up with her job.

"I work almost 35 hours a week. I have to. Without my job, I could never afford school," Williams said. "I had to drop some of my classes because I couldn't handle the pressure. What else was I to do?"

Michael Johansen, a senior majoring in sociology, found it difficult to schedule his classes around his job. "I took the smallest load ever this semester because of my job. I work every day and getting classes to fit my work schedule was next to impossible," he said.

Changing his hours at work is not an option. "Those hours are when they need me, and the money is really good right now.

"Also, at this time in the semester, I wouldn't have time to undergo a training program for a new job. Then I know my GPA would drop," Johansen said.

Janet Richman, a sophomore majoring in business, knows what it's like to have her grades fall as the result of a new job.

"I made the mistake of starting a new job the second week of school.

"The training lasted three weeks, and there was a lot to study. Each night, when I should have been studying history or algebra, I was memorizing things for my new job," Richman said. "I failed my first two tests and got a "D" on my first paper as a result. I used to have a 3.5 GPA. Now I am afraid to ask."

Some students feel that if they were better informed about scholarships and financial aid prior to admission the situation would be less desperate.

"If I had been made aware of all the scholarships and aid available, I might not be in this rut," Richman said. "I had great high school grades and I probably could have gotten a ton of money."

Rosemary Hughes, assistant director of Counseling and Testing Services, said many programs on campus are directed toward helping students who find it difficult to manage both school and a job.

One of these programs is the Returning Students Group. "We address issues that students that are trying to handle multiple tasks face," Hughes said.

Workshops are funded by student service fees and occur at different times throughout the semester. Stress workshops are offered three times during the semester, while time management workshops are offered two times.

Along with the workshops offered, Hughes said often the department provides extra workshops for student groups if there is a demand. Students can also make an appointment for individual counseling.

Hughes said managing both school and a job is all a matter of maintaining balance.

"We try to portray it as a balance wheel, and try to visualize how if we lose the balance in that wheel it can't roll very well," she said.