MACGREGOR'S LOSS, SPE'S GAIN?

BY REBECCA MCPHAIL

In yet another twist to the Sigma Alpha Epsilon saga, SAE's former neighbors may end up with a new fraternity next door.

SAE's national organization closed down the fraternity in December after the highly-publicized altercation at the SAE house last August, in which the tip of Carrin Huber's left pinky finger was severed.

However, it may be a little too soon to celebrate for S. MacGregor Way residents.

Sigma Phi Epsilon's lease on its house at 3821 N. MacGregor Way ran out at the end of 1991, and its search for new accommodations has led it to SAE's former house on S. MacGregor Way.

A.J. Hurt, chapter adviser for SPE, said no decision has been made. He said the fraternity has looked at several possibilities. Hurt emphasized the SAE house was only "a potential option."

But even the possibility is enough to unnerve the battle-weary residents of S. MacGregor.

"We are very much up in arms about this," said neighbor Paul Pendleton.

Pendleton, along with other neighbors, is contemplating court action in order to compensate for the alleged loss of value of the surrounding homes due to the SAE house. He believes the neighborhood will not tolerate another fraternity in its midst.

Hurt feels the neighborhood's hostility is the result of unfair comparisons between SAE and SPE.

"We are not SAE, God forbid," Hurt said. "We are a respectable fraternity looking for suitable housing."

The members of Sigma Phi Epsilon, who had already been considering moving to another location, intensified their search last semester when the owner of their house, Herbert Provost, declined to renew their lease on a month-to-month basis.

Provost claims he had no major problems with the group, but said he felt their standards appeared to be dropping.

"The last group was not the quality that I had experienced with the first group that moved in here," Provost said.

Provost was concerned with the group's lack of concern about the house's upkeep.

"The last group didn't keep it up to the standards it had been," he said, "and that's why I became reluctant to renew the lease."

Hurt said the outcry is unwarranted. He said SPE hasn't reached a decision one way or another with the owners of the SAE house.

"We are not currently talking," Hurt said, "but I can't say we won't in the future."

*******************************************************

BOYD TAKES CONTROL AS CHIEF FINANCIER

The interim revolving door at the office of the senior vice president for administration and finance has taken its final spin, as Dennis Boyd takes command.

After two weeks, Boyd leapt into his new position, working 10-hour days, learning his responsibilities and the campus community.

This marks the first time Boyd, 59, has worked for a university; but after serving as the chief financial officer for both the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Department of Commerce, Boyd appears to have experience in managing large entities.

"I've spent my whole career working in large organizations. I find most things alike and similar," Boyd said.

He has spent the last three years working for the state of New Mexico as the secretary of the Department of Health and Environment and as deputy secretary of Human Services.

Michael Burkhart replaced Boyd as secretary of Health (Environment is now a separate department), praised his past boss as an excellent financial manager, and credited Boyd with bringing the department back in line.

"He is a no-nonsense guy, and I think his very direct approach gets work done quickly," Burkhart said.

Boyd said he and his wife, Elizabeth, loved living in Santa Fe and never planned to leave, but when he learned of this position, he was "enticed from the beginning."

After visiting Houston, Boyd said, "I thought I could `fit in' here. With my knowledge and organizational experience, I thought we could make a match."

Boyd said since his arrival, he has spent the majority of time in meetings hoping to open the lines of communication.

"I have begun," he said. "I have spent three times a week sitting down with each individual dean to get their reaction on how we're doing."

The need for faculty and staff input is important, Boyd explains, because he wants to understand the needs of this campus firsthand, instead of solely reading them as itemized figures in budget books.

College of Education Dean William Georgiades said he does not recall a new administrator walking to his office to meet with him individually. Instead, usually a group meeting of the deans is held, he said.

"He came to my office and saw me alone. I like that very much, and that is the kind of touch we need," Georgiades said.

Georgiades said because Boyd's new position has been in a state of flux for the past year, he and his staff expressed specific problems accrued because of legislative funding cuts.

Boyd said he has become aware of UH's financial difficulties and empirically predicts cuts will worsen.

"It's a difficult time allocating resources -- budgets and cuts will challenge us into the '90s. We have to ensure we don't want to spend money where we don't need to, and assure processes are in place that are not unnecessarily costly," he said.

He is still in the process of identifying problem areas on campus, but the data processing service is one he defines as needing a "hard look."

"All you have to do is walk downstairs (E. Cullen) and look at the long lines. The problem has been identified and now accountability mechanisms need to be in place to monitor the successes and failures and establish clear lines for accountability," Boyd said.

But Boyd wants to take a thorough look at every aspect his office oversees, including financial services, payroll and the Physical Plant.

Since Boyd has signed a three-year contract for $120,000 a year, he said he will not only propose solutions to UH's administrative and financial woes, but he also plans to be around to guide their implementation.

And even though the challenges may be staggering, Boyd doesn't fathom the idea of "burnout."

The energetic, white-haired Boyd confidently responds, "I'm a cock-eyed optimist; I think it will work here."

JUDGE ORDERS SOUTHERN STATE; END SEGREGATION, FUND SCHOOLS

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

In what might be a preview of the outcome of a desegregation case now before the U.S. Supreme Court, a federal judge has ruled that Alabama must erase all traces of segregation in its university system.

"This court is obligated to see that vestiges of discrimination are eliminated root and branch, and it will brook nothing less," U.S. District Judge Harold Murphy wrote in his Dec. 30 order.

The judge ordered Alabama to:

Change the state's funding formula to provide better support for Alabama A&M at Huntsville and Alabama State at Montgomery, two predominantly black schools;

Allocate $10 million each to Alabama A&M and Alabama State for building improvements over the next three years;

Stop program duplication at the two schools and their predominantly white counterparts;

Seek more white students to attend Alabama State;

Seek more black faculty members at Auburn University, the University of Montevallo and Livingston University; and

Add more black administrators at Auburn, the University of North Alabama, Troy State University, Calhoun State Community College, the University of Alabama campuses in Tuscaloosa and Huntsville and Jackson State University.

All of the parties involved in the 1981 desegregation suit, including the schools named in the order, Gov. Guy Hunt and the state university system, have 90 days to report on their plans to comply with the judge's order.

Murphy's 1,000-page order is a result of a second trial over the case. After the first trial in 1985, a judge ruled that remnants of segregation did exist in the Alabama system, but he was removed from the case in 1987 by an appellate court because he was involved in segregation issues as a former state lawmaker.

Attorney Rob Hunter, who represents the governor and state education and finance officials, said the state does not want to appeal Murphy's decision, but state officials are concerned about finding the means to provide the $20 million to Alabama A&M and Alabama State in a time of budget cutbacks.

"We are trying to determine if we can do this," Hunter said. "It will be difficult to come up with these funds."

Because of the semester break, Alabama A&M officials were unavailable for comment, as was John Knight, an administrator at Alabama State, one of several who originally filed the suit against the state.

Plaintiffs in the case argue that Alabama historically has had two educational systems -- one black, one white -- and the black schools have received substantially less money than the white schools.

A similar desegregation lawsuit in Mississippi is now before the Supreme Court. Louisiana also has a suit pending within the state judicial system.

The effect of the Alabama order on the Mississippi case is unknown, but Hunter said, "If all the parties within the suit can work together within this decree, the Supreme Court will definitely take notice."

From a legal standpoint, however, the Alabama decision has no impact on the Supreme Court.

YOUNG FILMMAKERS HONORED, ADVISED IN FLORIDA FESTIVAL

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

A dozen limousines lined the curb as spotlights turned and left their reflective lines circling through the dark Florida sky.

Inside, stars were born.

On Nov. 24, the Sixth Annual Fort Lauderdale Film Festival brought forward some of the film industry's newest talent in one of the largest student film competitions in the nation.

This year's awards ceremony was just a preview of next year when the Florida festival opens its doors to students nationwide.

"I met these young people today, and I was so impressed with their questions and sincerity," said Burt Reynolds, who presented the student awards.

"I'm going to rub this three times and wish for a job, an agent and funding for my next film," said Matt Stevens, a Florida State University student and winner of the Best Narrative category for a Frankenstein-esque film called The Making of Killer Kite.

Many reiterated Stevens' desire for employment while others spoke of their idealistic hopes for the film industry.

"Film is an international language that is bringing the world closer together," said Greg Nye, a Florida State University student and winner of the Best Screenplay award and co-winner for Best Music Video with Robert Gray for a classical music piece called Waiting for Him.

Other winners included:

Mitchell Baum of Miami Dade Community College for Best Public Service Announcement. His film, called Fly in the Bottle, addressed the problem of alcoholism.

Robert J. Fothfarb of the University of South Florida for Best Experimental Film. This category, new to the festival this year, included many different forms of expression, including computer-animated films. Rothfarb won for his short film The Cyberkinetic Dream of Don Quixote, which appeared on screen as a 3-D, colorful, computerized interpretation of Quixote's subconscious.

Craig Sherman, Ana Fernandez and Martin Lee of the University of Miami for Best Documentary. Their collaboration, called Bomb, told the story of street graffiti artists in Miami.

"This is a very good way for young filmmakers to be identified," said Charles Champlin, Los Angeles Times film critic, and one of this year's Fort Lauderdale jury members and a jurist at this year's Cannes Film Festival in France.

In addition to honoring the students, the festival gave lifetime achievement awards to Reynolds, Jerry Lewis, Van Johnson, Donald O'Connor and director Mark Rydell.

The Hollywood veterans offered their student counterparts advice on the business and the future.

"The best part of the creative process has to have fear," Lewis said. "You have to have fear, be a little cocky, confident and humble."

In a series of pre-recorded interviews, other celebrities added their own advice.

"You just have to hang in there and keep going," Lauren Bacall said.

"Give 'em a good show and always travel fast," Gregory Peck said. "It's a tough racket. Luck has a great deal to do with it."

The festival also took note of the growing importance of Florida in the film industry, now the nation's third leading film market behind California and New York.

"This state is no longer just a place to watch the alligators wrestle," said Charles Durning.

NO MERCY FOR THE BILLIKENS

COUGAR BENCH HELPS STUFF ST. LOUIS

BY JASON LUTHER

No one knows what a Billiken is, and it looked like the St. Louis Billikens were having an identity crisis as they were blown out by the Cougars 110-88 Tuesday in Hofheinz.

Houston opened the game with eight straight baskets, including four straight three-pointers, jumping to a 30-6 lead by the time the starters left with 12:24 left in the first half.

Senior forward Sam Mack came out on fire with 13 points in the first seven minutes of the contest, including three straight three-pointers, and forward Craig Upchurch added eight in that time frame to allow the Cougar starters to sit out most of the rest of the game.

Junior guard Craig Lillie came off the bench to lead Cougar scoring with 18. The Cougar bench accounted for 63 of Houston's 110 points.

Coach Pat Foster rested all five starters to start the second half. The only action seen by a starter in the second period was three minutes by Center Charles Outlaw, who stepped in for Rafael Carrasco, who fouled out with 6:43 remaining.

"It's the first time I've ever done that to start the second half," Foster said.

"They work all week; they come to every practice; they do the same sprints," Foster said, concerning the bench. "A lot of these guys are close to being able to come in ballgames and help us."

Foster said the game was the first time since the first half of the North Carolina game he has seen the team shoot the way they shoot in practice.

After losing the first tip-off and falling down 2-0 at 19:39, the Cougars quickly put up a 7-4 lead with a Derrick Daniels 3-pointer and a Mack dunk.

When St. Louis guard Scott Highmark, who led all scores with 28, drove for a layup at 17:13 to make the score 10-7 Cougars, it was the last score the Bills had for nearly five minutes and the closest St. Louis came again.

With the Cougar starters out, St. Louis battled the Houston bench to a somewhat respectable 34-18 deficit.

However, the starters returned with 8:18 left in the first half.

Outlaw scored eight points in under three minutes, and by halftime the Cougars were up by 36 at 66-30.

The Cougar lead lingered around 30 for the first ten minutes of the second half, as Lillie and Highmark put on a clinic for guards.

Lillie scored 12 points in just over eight minutes, and Highmark scored eight in just over six. The two combined for four three-pointers as the score was 84-54 at 10:10.

At that point, play became sloppy for both teams, resulting in St. Louis shaving ten points off the Cougar lead.

At 2:53, the score was 95-75, and it looked as if both teams were just moving through the motions.

A CASE OF ART IMITATING LIFE, OR BORROWING IT?

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

A grisly display has students at the University of Illinois at Chicago wondering whether the head of a human cadaver was displayed at an undergraduate art gallery under the title "King of Vermin."

Campus police are investigating reports that an unidentified student obtained the head from a medical school.

Several students reported seeing the exhibit, which was displayed only for one day.

"It was something that looked like the head of a balding male. It was wrapped in several layers of Saran Wrap. It was leaning to the side like it was plopped down, on a plate of lettuce with grapes as a garnish," said Sheila Broderick, freshman art student in medical illustration.

Broderick said incisions were visible on the head as if it had been dissected to some degree.

Scott Allen, a junior in art and design, said the student responsible for the exhibit was in the art gallery and had bragged he had acquired the head of a human cadaver from the university.

"I thought he was kidding until I looked at it closer," Allen said. "If it wasn't real, I'd be shocked."

Although Allen admits not knowing the name of the student in question, "I would know him if I saw him," he said.

Jason Wietlispach, undergraduate in art and organizer of the GBU gallery, said something resembling a human head wrapped in plastic wrap was displayed in the GBU gallery's show which opened Oct. 15. He would neither confirm nor deny it being a human cadaver. He also refused to release the identity of the student who created the exhibit.

Another art student, George Ireland, saw the exhibit in the gallery and said the student claimed he obtained the head from the medical school.

Allen said the unidentified student was answering questions from people who had gathered around the exhibit. He said a few students were offering money for what the unidentified student claimed to be a human head stolen from an unlocked medical refrigerator on campus.

Broderick said the student boasted, "He donated his body for science, and I am using it for art."

Miriam Zayed, assistant to the head of the medical school's Department of Anatomy, said no human cadaver parts were reported missing. She added that cadavers were kept by the undergraduate biology department, which was unavailable for comment.

A medical student, who wished to remain anonymous, said he believed human cadaver parts could be removed from the medical school without difficulty.

Under Illinois statutes, mutilation of a person as part of a performance or practice is a felony. The statute is silent as to whether a dissected human body would be considered a person. Also, according to the state criminal code, "any person who offers to buy or sell a human body or any part of a human body is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor."

SAME SONG, SECOND DOWN

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

It's a question of control -- who has it and who wants it.

In 1979, the American Council on Education called for major reforms in college sports, focusing primarily on returning control of college athletics to the universities so that sports could be refocused in line with schools' educational goals.

Since then, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, run primarily by former athletic directors, coaches and athletes, has slowly and reluctantly started to incorporate university presidents into its process.

The most notable progress was the formation of the President's Commission, which has advisory power within the NCAA. And as the 1992 convention approaches, the academicians are making more efforts to get involved. In November, the American Association of University Professors announced a new national drive to increase faculty involvement in NCAA and college sports reforms.

Such increased involvement has upset some coaches and athletic directors.

"Six or seven years ago, pressures were brought to bear on college athletics to clean up the mess, and changes were made," said Norm Stewart, basketball coach at the University of Missouri. "I didn't think there was that big of a mess."

Stewart, whose program was recently the subject of an NCAA probe, has published a new book criticizing the NCAA, saying that athletic directors and coaches are basically left out of the NCAA decision-making process.

"I'm not against the NCAA or the presidents, but when you have departments, you need to give them a voice," Stewart said.

Stewart also said the trend of state legislatures getting involved in NCAA business is a reflection of overall dissatisfaction with the association.

"I think that's what will happen unless they show people they're willing to make some reforms," he said. "If they don't change the mentality, someone will step in and change it for them."

In a book about the problems of college sports published in 1991, Indiana University English professor Murray Sperber dedicates an entire section to problems he says are created by the NCAA.

"In practice, the NCAA functions mainly as a trade association for athletic directors and program heads, implementing their wishes regardless of whether these are in the best interest of the member schools," Sperber wrote.

More than 800 colleges and universities belong to the NCAA.

The NCAA has taken the criticism from all sides seriously. It said the efforts to revamp enforcement procedures show its willingness to work with coaches, athletes and state government, while proposed eligibility requirements demonstrate its commitment to education and the goals of university presidents.

Sperber, whose book is titled College Sports Inc., The Athletic Department vs. The University, thinks the problem is with college sports itself.

"The main purpose of College Sports Inc. is commercial entertainment," he wrote. "At most schools with big-time programs, the athletic department operates as an auxiliary enterprise and has almost no connection to the academic units and functions of the school; universities should admit that their intercollegiate athletic programs are separate commercial businesses.

"...Until American higher education solves this problem, College Sports Inc. will continue to corrupt it, and with increasing speed."

SCHOOL FUNDS FIZZLE AFTER YEARS OF FLIGHT

TEXAS BUCK U.S. TREND; NO RELIEF SEEN FOR COUNTRY

State funding for higher education recorded its first decline in 33 years, and experts say the trend will most likely continue.

In the preliminary report of its annual survey of state government appropriations for higher education, the Center for Higher Education at Illinois State University reported that spending for the 1991-92 school year fell a total of $46.5 million nationwide.

Still, the survey reported that almost $40 billion was spent on higher education in 1991-92.

Geographic areas hardest hit were New England and the Southeast.

In an evaluation of what the survey's statistics showed, CHE Director Edward Hines wrote that "substantial increases in state higher education may be a thing of the past."

The survey found that:

The Southeast was hardest hit. Only Kentucky and West Virginia reported increases in state funding, up 23 and 10 percent respectively.

In New England, four of the six states showed declines, most notably Massachusetts, with the nation's largest decrease of 28 percent.

The West showed no declines, but mostly modest gains. Nevada headed these states and all others with a 31 percent increase in state funding. Northwest states also showed increases, most notably Idaho (24 percent) and Montana (21 percent).

In a group called the "megastates" for their large populations, large higher educational systems, and state appropriations of more than $1 billion, findings were mixed. Of the 12 megastates, only four reported a gain in funding -- Texas (9 percent), New Jersey (7 percent), Pennsylvania (6 percent) and Michigan (4 percent).

Illinois reported no loss or gain in funding. The seven remaining states reported losses -- New York (11 percent), Florida and Virginia (4 percent), North Carolina (3 percent), California (2 percent) and Ohio (1 percent).

Because of the overall decline in state funding, Hines said schools will need to search for alternative funding methods.

GRANT HELPS ARTE PUBLICO CONTINUE LITERATURE PROJECT

BY FRANK SAN MIGUEL

Volumes of Hispanic literature currently in danger of being lost may get a reprieve as the result of a grant to UH's Arte Publico Press.

The literature spans from the colonial period to the 19th and 20th centuries.

Recovering the Hispanic Literary Heritage of the United States, initiated by Arte Publico in 1990 with a $50,000 seed grant from the Rockefeller Foundation, recently received a commitment of $270,000 per year from the foundation for the 10-year national project.

In addition, the foundation has pledged to help Arte Publico raise the total of $20 million needed to support the project. The recovery program will be administered by the Center for Hispanic Literature of the United States at UH, a consortium of professors established by Arte Publico.

The center will direct scholars in the research, evaluation, inventory and publication of Hispanic literary works written from the colonial period to 1960 in the geographical region that is now the United States. Arte Publico Director Nicholas Kanellos said the project involves not only basic research, but delving deep into history. Documents to be searched include diaries, thousands of newspapers, oral histories, unpublished manuscripts, church records and books whose records have been lost in the United States.

The research involves cooperation between the United States, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Cuba."The impact of this project is to furnish teachers and students with a whole new concept of what literature is about, regardless of language," Kanellos said.

"The findings can revolutionize the way Spanish literature is taught, as well as the way we see English literature."

Scholars in the fields of Hispanic literature, history and library science participating in the program include Edna Acosta-Beln of the State University of New York-Albany, Erlinda Gonzles-Berry of the University of New Mexico, Luis Leal of the University of California-Santa Barbara, and Julian Olivares of UH. Current plans call for the publication of collections by Arte Publico in anthologies, textbooks, separate works, microfilm, microfiche and digital formats.

Kanellos said discussion and planning is now under way with several presses, including the University of Texas Press and presses in Mexico.

"A main goal is to recover and make accessible documents for computerization and publication through a consortium of presses.

"There are so many documents, literally thousands, that we'll take and put on microfilm to make available for scholars," Kanellos said.

Negotiations are also in the works to create archive centers across the nation for scholars to study the works. Kanellos said the City University of New York, Stanford, Florida International University and UH were among the considerations for the center.

Arte Publico is the largest publisher of U.S. Hispanic literature in the United States, publishing more than 25 books each year as well as the literary journal, The Americas Review.

COUGARS DEBATERS FINISH SUCCESSFUL NATIONAL RUN

BY KATHY ALLEN

The UH Debate Society turned in stunning performances on a whirlwind tour of four national tournaments during the winter holidays.

"I'm ecstatic! This is the best we've done," said Lance Peterman, the society's debate coach.

The club's performance peaked at the University of Southeastern Oklahoma, where the team of Scott Veach and David Woodbury placed second in the tournament.

The Veach-Woodbury team defeated South Carolina, Southern Illinois and Cornell before losing a heated decision to Northwestern Louisiana. Both team members received individual speaker awards with Beach placing fourth and Woodbury placing 10th.

A strong performance was also turned in at the University of Southern California where David Harrell and Rob Darwin made it to the round of 16, and Veach and Woodbury moved forward to the quarterfinal round.

Three of the four UH debaters received individual honors in the top 10, with Darwin placing fourth, Harrell placing ninth and Veach placing 10th.

The final and most competitive leg of the tour took place at the University of Texas at Arlington where 59 of the top teams in the nation competed. Although fatigue was taking its toll, all three UH teams advanced to the first elimination round, and Veach placed fourth in the individual speaker awards.

The club's success was a culmination of several factors, Peterman said, but the debaters placed special emphasis on topic research in preparation for these debates. The debaters spent more than 200 hours researching the topic "Advertising degrades the quality of life in the U.S."

The debate society suffered a six-year dormancy from 1982 to 1988, but it has come a long way since its recreation four years ago by Peterman.

"We started with a $400 budget and a file. Over the past four years, we've gone from that small budget to a $28,000 budget and to being an official organ of the School of Communication," Peterman said.

Texas is a hotbed of debate talent due in part to the state's strong high school debate programs, Peterman said. With these strong performances, the debate club may now become a tool of recruitment for UH, Peterman said.

While only the top three teams participated in the recent tournaments, the club consists of about 20 people. Interested students are welcome and should contact Peterman at 749-1280 for more information.

Preparation has already begun for the state tournament at Tyler, Texas, in February, to be quickly followed by the national tournament at the University of Texas at Arlington in March where as many as 400 teams will participate.