UNITED WAY SERVICES PUBLICIZED ON CAMPUS

BY MAYTE SERA

Despite the rain and cold on Thursday morning, 10 United Way agencies positioned colorful booths inside the UH Hilton, distributing information to educate the campus on the services they provide.

The agencies not only offered information about their services, such as teen pregnancy and AIDS prevention, but were also interested in student involvement in their programs.

"We would love it if we could get students to help out with the tutoring programs we offer; we even have high school and college students who cannot read and write," Paulette Preiss, a volunteer with United Way Literacy Advance of Houston, said.

Another Advance volunteer, Patricia Dierk, said, "We need students to get involved with the children and parents we serve."

"We provide so many services for under-privileged people, one can't even begin to mention them all," said Monica Bulkhalter, a volunteer with the Houston Area Urban League.

Many booths, such as the DePelchin Children's Center, with its heart-warming pictures of children in need, caught the attention of students and faculty members as they walked by.

The United Way services four regions: Fort Bend, Waller, Montgomery and Harris counties; said Remiser Seals, a representative of the United Way.

"One out of three people are affected by the United Way," Seals said. Whenever a situation of need arises, such as Desert Storm and the recent Texas flooding, the United Way helps families in need, Seals said.

Last year, the United Way raised $57,000 or more, Seals said.

"A dollar from every student would be fabulous, but it's just not realistic. We know students have a lot of pressures, and with the tuition that just went up, we know it's hard on students to donate," said Nancy Clark, director of donor relations.

Faculty and staff members received information from flyers and through individual department announcements. Clark had arranged to have pledge cards available for student donations in the Cashier's Office in the basement of E. Cullen.

The money that is raised by United Way is allocated to several of its 76 agencies. The 10 agencies that attended the fair were United Way Literacy Advance of Houston, DePelchin Children's Center, Star of Hope, Neighborhood Centers, Houston Area Urban League, Avance, Salvation Army, Catholic Charities and The Houston Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse.

"We are optimistic that the campaign will go well. The kick-off was great," said David Keith, campaign manager and UH vice president of External Affairs.

*******************************************************

PICKERING BRIEFS SENATE

BY CROSBY KING

In his first public appearance as acting UH president, James A. Pickering spoke briefly before the Faculty Senate Monday.

In fact, the introduction by Faculty Senate President Bill Cook lasted longer than the speech.

"In the metaphor," said Cook, "a change of leadership, being much like a marriage, we are now in our honeymoon. But a honeymoon between those who have lived together before the wedding is not the same as a romantic honeymoon.

"You and the collective `we' have lived together, perhaps not in sin, but we do know each other."

Pickering had held the senior vice president position on an interim basis until UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett selected him to that post and to assume her duties until her health improves.

"Clearly the events of the last week have left me as breathless as the rest of the campus," Pickering said.

Pickering told the senate it would be inappropriate for him to make periodic reports on Barnett's condition, and he would leave that to Chancellor Alexander Schilt.

Referring to the recent fire in the E. Cullen Building, Pickering said he was proud of the workers from facilities and planning. He said some of them stayed until 3 a.m. to repair the damage.

Pickering's brevity caught a few senators off guard.

"I was a bit surprised he didn't speak a little longer," said former Faculty Senate President Stuart Hall. "Perhaps he thought this was not the right forum."

Pickering later acknowledged some awkwardness in the situation, saying he already has an established relationship with the senate based on his year-long stint as acting senior vice president.

He said he had spoken many times before the senate, so no formal state- of-the-union address was necessary.

"Rather than speechifying to them," he said, "what I really wanted to do was continue the dialogue that we've been engaged in all year."

Pickering spent some time last week in Austin with the Higher Education Coordinating Board. He said the Legislature passed a bill that could cut budget reductions by as much as 10 percent, noting that each college here must save its funds in case UH has to give some of its money back.

Another issue requiring Pickering's attention is the senate's ban on smoking. He said he would await the Students' Association's poll before taking any action. But he said that, due to the recent trend of organizations passing their own laws, an administration decision might not be necessary.

"It wouldn't surprise me that the State of Texas would pass a no-smoking policy for all state agencies," Pickering said.

He said the Campus Development Campaign, a massive fund-raising event which UH plans to kick off in a month, will begin on schedule despite Barnett's absence.

"You don't replace somebody like Dr. Barnett; you do the best job you can," Pickering said.

JOB MARKET LOOKING GRIM FOR NEW GRADUATES

BY COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

The employment picture isn't pretty for college students who plan to graduate this spring.

Two of the most-watched annual studies that deliver job predictions agree that the market is worse this year than last, that fewer jobs exist for college graduates, and that people still searching for jobs from the class of 1991, in addition to experienced laid-off workers, are flooding an already-saturated market.

The 1992 Northwestern Lindquist-Endicott report predicts the worst job market in 20 years. And a report issued by the Children's Defense Fund says all young workers, not just graduating seniors, are typically the first to lose jobs, both corporate and otherwise.

The crunch is expected to be the worst this summer when students seek jobs in restaurants, factories and professional internship programs.

The unemployment rate for workers under 25 during the first five months of 1990 compared with the first five months of 1991 jumped from an average of 11.1 percent to 13.4 percent, accounting for a loss of almost 500,000 jobs, the study said.

The Lindquist-Endicott report and a 1992 Recruiting Trends report from Michigan State University delivered similarly depressing news for graduates, with few exceptions.

Among the 259 mid-sized and large companies surveyed, 69 percent say they expect a decline in business in 1992; 36 percent say they plan to cut their professional staff this year, and 49 percent report already making such cuts in 1991.

Demand for graduates with a bachelor's degree will drop 4 percent, while demand for graduates with master's degrees will drop 7 percent.

In the one bright spot of the study, Lindquist reports an increase in the average overall starting salary, up a modest 2.7 percent, with the highest average salary going to engineering graduates. Engineers can anticipate an average starting salary of $35,064, while graduates with liberal arts degrees can expect the lowest average starting salaries at $26,472.

Victor Lindquist, author of the 46-year-old study and associate dean at Northwestern University, also notes some trends in hiring practices.

He adds that, "this year's survey uncovered a significant shift in hiring practices.

L. Patrick Scheetz, assistant director of career development and placement services at Michigan State and the director of the Collegiate Employment Research Institute, noted the same trend in the Michigan State study.

The 21-year-old study, which includes information from 464 businesses, industries and governmantal agencies nationwide, reports that, "because of more competition among the college graduate population, students will have to be better prepared by getting good grades, working in cooperative education programs or internship positions, and being better able to `sell themselves.' "

Additional information from the Michigan State study includes:

A prediction of a healthy job market with good growth opportunities for engineering, computer science and nursing/health care services graduates, with fewer opportunities for liberal arts and business administration graduates.

A finding that about 29 percent of the new college graduates hired in 1990-91 had no prior career-related work experience. Additionally, about 74 percent of employers say they select interns and students in cooperative programs with the intent of hiring them after graduation.

The Michigan State study also reports a list of what employers see as the most noticeable shortcomings among recent college graduates. The top of the list includes unrealistic work expectations and career aspirations, a sense among graduates that they have already, "paid their dues," and poor writing, communication and public speaking skills.

Career placement workers at schools across the country agree with the findings.

But, Austin said, "There are steps that students can take whether it's an internship, volunteer work, good extracurricular activities or networking.... They just can't let (the predictions) overwhelm them. They don't want to say, `I'll just go to Utah and ski for awhile." Many students are retruning to school to avoid an uncertain job market. Peter syverson, director of information services for the council of graduate schools, says the council has noticed an increase in the number of students returning to school for advanced degrees.

Graduate school enrollment rose 9 percent between 1989 and 1990 and continues to increase. Currently, about 1.3 million students attend graduate school.

There was one positive finding amoung job studies. Data collected by the College Placement Council, a national association of recruitment workers, reports "overall, the 1991-92 outlook is better than last year's, and the hiring projections give 1991-92 graduates some hope."

LADY COUGARS DOMINATE TCU

BY JIM MOSLEY

The TCU Horned Frogs were mauled Saturday night by the 16th-ranked Lady Cougars 91-61 at Hofheinz.

The win moved the Lady Cougars to the 15th spot in the AP Poll, which was released Monday.

Five of the Lady Cougars scored in double figures; LaShawn Johnson, 18, Margo Gram, 16, Cynthia Jackson, 15, Darla Simpson, 13 and Michele Harris 10.

At the opening buzzer, the Horned Frogs were hot. They hit 85 percent of their shots and had the lead at the 15:30 mark.

"They (TCU) started out hot," UH Women's Basketball Coach Jessie Kenlaw said. "We adjusted to a half-court press and mixed up our defenses because, if they get on a roll, we could lose."

Two minutes later, the Lady Cougars took the lead at 15-14 and never looked back.

By half-time, the Cougars totally controlled the game in all aspects, which was reflected in the score, 46-31.

When the second period started, the Lady Cougars scored 10 unanswered points, which set a pace the Horned Frogs could not equal.

The Lady Frogs were strong and tried to control the boards physically.

"The girls were big and tried to knock us down," Simpson said. "Every time, they would go up strong."

The only weak spot in an immaculate performance was the Lady Cougars' freethrow shooting. Out of 21 opportunities, they only hit seven.

"That was the low point," Kenlaw said. "At one point, we were two for 10. It was an off night."

The Lady Cougars' record goes to 5-1 in conference and 16-3 overall. They trail Texas Tech by only one game.

This week, the Cougars are going on a two-game road trip to SMU and Texas.

"Texas is always tough," Kenlaw said. "They upset seventh-ranked Penn State this week on national TV.

"But we cannot overlook SMU," Kenlaw added. "They will not be an easy win. SMU is a well-balanced team."

The Lady Cougars will play their next home game on Feb. 12 against Baylor.

SOME PARKING STICKERS STILL NEED TO BE MAILED

BY DENISE N. SALAZAR

About 7,000 students are still wondering why they haven't received their parking sticker decals, but Parking and Transportation Manager Gerald Hagan said they are in the mail and students should get them this week.

"We are postponing ticketing until Feb. 10," Hagan said. "Students shouldn't fear receiving a citation. Everyone should have their decals by then."

Decals for students who enrolled in priority and regular registration were just mailed out on Jan. 29. Hagan said he wished the decals could have been mailed earlier, but said students must be "activated" before they can receive their decals.

"Students must register and be enrolled in the system before we can issue decals," Hagan said. "This semester, we mailed regular registration decals so that students wouldn't have to pick them up."

Hagan admits the new mailing system helped to diminish long lines this semester, but he said problems still persist.

Decals were only issued in person at late registration on Jan. 24. Therefore, late registration students received their decals before priority and regular registration students, Hagan said.

"For the most part, students have been very understanding. I wasn't aware of any irate, complaining students. We don't have anyone that does that," Hagan said.

Students having problems in relation to where they park and where their classes are may explore the economy lot alternative, Hagan said.

"Within 21 days of the first day of class, if students find that the economy lots and shuttle buses can serve them better than searching for parking spaces in other lots, they can choose to downgrade their decals to the economy lot. We will credit the student the $30 difference," Hagan said.

Director of Registration and Academic Records Mario Lucchesi said they have had a pretty normal semester.

"Our plan is always to try to mail out as much as we can," he said.

To help eliminate long lines, the department had two ongoing operations during the first week of classes, Lucchesi said.

In room 111 of E. Cullen, students could receive course schedule printouts to help lessen the usual lines in room 108, the Office of Registration and Academic Records, which was used for drop-only requests as well as the usual services such as transcript requests and address changes.

Like Lucchesi, Bursar Phyllis Bradley reported no problems in mailing out fee bills. Bradley added that the department has seen the best response from priority registration this semester.

This summer, regular registration fee bills will be mailed for the first time. Asking to pay by mail would cut on-site fee payments in half, Bradley said.

Gary Pantridge, director of Financial Services, said that with the conversion to the new computer system last March there have been fewer lines.

"Just take a look at our lines," Bradley said, as she gestured to the waiting students at late fee payment.

Shelli Mangum, a sophomore elementary education major, didn't even have a fee bill. She was dropped from her classes from priority registration and was lucky to find some classes she needed in late registration.

Mangum said better staffing and more training is needed. She said when she called the registration department, she was put on hold for a long time and then the person who answered couldn't help her.

"I know it's not just me who feels this way," she said. "You know, you come here trying to better yourself and get an education at a big university, but I've been to junior colleges that are more organized than this."

John Olivas, a mechanical engineering graduate student, said that the whole registration process is a "pain in the neck."

Olivas works in Freeport, about an hour and 15 minute drive, and had to come from there to get all his instructors' and deans' approval for courses during late registration.

PHONE REGISTRATION PLANS MOTHBALLED IN RED TAPE

BY MEAGAN MCGOVERN

UH won't be getting a telephone registration system any time soon, despite the fact that administrators here have been promising students a new registration system since the mid-1980s.

Although students at many area universities and even community colleges can register quickly and easily by phone, the UH tradition of long lines, endless paperwork and frustration looks to be far from over.

With telephone registration, students at other universities are able to call up a mainframe computer and punch in their social security number and other identifying information.

Once the system recognizes the student, he or she can simply punch in the number and section of the classes he or she wants to take. If a section is full, or if the student doesn't have the proper prerequisites, the computer says so, and the student tries again.

At the University of Texas at Austin, students use a similar format every semester. Since UT has almost double UH's population, the same system, or something similar, would easily handle all of the students here.

However, the inability of UH to implement telephone registration would seem to result from a lack of stable leadership, not from a lack of funds or equipment.

Most of the equipment needed to run such a system is here on campus, and currently in use, Steve Webb, manager of University Applications Development, said. He said the computer the school now uses for registration could easily be upgraded to a phone system.

The only thing holding up the progress is someone to say the word "Go," Webb said, adding that a new registration system has always been on the university's agenda.

"There's always been something to block it," Webb said. "If you have one president leaving and an interim coming in and then that interim coming out and another one coming in, you have leadership that's changing. Decisions don't necessarily get made, especially if they're going to cost money.

"They're always under study. So it's always been under study, and every once in awhile, one piece of the puzzle comes in place, like we can get people to agree to how we want to do it. But the money's not available, nothing happens.

"Or, somebody's got the money in their budget and they say, `Let's go,' but people can't agree on how they want to do it. So nothing happens; the money gets spent someplace else. So nothing has happened."

Since 1983, when telephone registration was first suggested, the project has been under study by various committees. Last semester, UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett set up a committee, called Module C, to study the implementation of telephone registration, Bill Schubert, interim director of administrative computing, said.

Schubert said the committee is now requesting information from UT and other Texas universities to study their registration systems.

"There was a whole committee structure set up by the president, in September or October, with different modules to look at different aspects of student records or services," Schubert said.

"We've met a number of times, and the main topic that we've talked about is phone access, or phone registration," Schubert said. "The whole committee is going out and requesting information from vendors, and doing comparisons. We don't have any kind of time frame."

Dean of Admissions Wayne Sigler said the committee, "very, very much wants to put touchtone registration in as soon as possible because we think that will result in some real improvements in our enrollment services to students.

"I can't give an exact time frame because what we have to do is finish what we call `phase one.' We're meeting actively to discuss systems at other schools so we can learn what they're doing and what mistakes to avoid."

DIVERSE WORKS WENT SUPER-SONIC

BY SHANE PATRICK BOYLE

Those who attended events at DiverseWorks and Commerce Street Artists Warehouse this weekend walked away with an expanded appreciation for what music can be. The events were part of "Sonic Works," a four-day festival of new music, which took place Thursday through Sunday.

The theme of the festival was "Extending the Instrument," and participating musicians advanced the theme with performance art, wordless vocal pieces, electronically processed sounds and unusual instruments such as Ellen Fullman's 93-foot harp.

"Scream of Consciousness: A Brief Epiphany: 1904," performed by Chemical Wedding, was one of the performances that was interesting for the visual, as well as musical, experience.

In the background of the stage, the phrase "History is a nightmare" from James Joyce's Ulysses was spray-painted in orange with a black outline. A broken cupid hung from the ceiling along with other objects, including large, misshaped pieces of metal.

A piano stood in front of the stage and beside this, there was a cylindrical, chrome-colored platform. Atop it, sat a chair and night table, and on the night table was a lamp, a copy of Ulysses and a woman's shoe being used as a plant holder. The three volumes of Marcel Proust's Remembrance of Things Past was set on the other side of the stage.

The musical part of the performance combined vocals, percussion, flute, keyboards and instruments constructed for the occasion. During the entire performance, two women sang into their microphones with a continuous, bird-like chirping, and at times, composer Jack Turner would read from Ulysses as the band continued playing.

The pace of music started out slow with Turner reading from the text. As the show continued, the pace of the music became more frantic and the theatrics increased.

A giant scroll of banner paper was unrolled into the aisle, and Turner burned a fragment from this scroll as Gaye Goodman danced toward the stage with blinking, red lights attached to the top of her belly dancer costume.

Then, members of the cast came from behind the audience, pulling a contraption suspended from the ceiling with ropes and pulleys. A wrecking ball hung from one end.

On the other end, Mark Larson sat atop a suspended sound board playing a saxophone. Bill Kelley sat on a wooden go-cart, playing the sound board. Some spectators had to move their chairs out of the way as the wrecking ball moved by.

The climax occurred when a cymbal player traded a set of drumsticks for a fighting staff to bang against the slabs of metal that hung from the side of the stage.

He then traded the staff for a hammer, which he used to smash his cymbals into a wok shape, and finally turned the hammer on the metal slabs.

Turner joined in this chaos, firing a pistol loaded with blanks, using the hammer to play the cymbals and sound board, and knocking one of the slabs down with the fighting staff.

Another visually stimulating piece was "Final Broadcast", performed by E-Coli. In this performance, a man in a navy uniform danced spastically while shouting indecipherably into a microphone. Behind him, a television showed video footage of children playing, a Centrum commercial and other images, speeding up as the performance continued.

Elise Kermani, clad in a black dress, wailed into her microphone. She held a rope in her hand that was attached to the wrist of another woman who was naked except for an orange sphere covering her head.

The navy man took the rope from Kermani, and tied the naked woman to a pillar. After all performers exited, the navy man came back out and said, "Join the Navy!"

Other performers included Headbirth, a group which continually played an electronically-produced baby's cry while showing a documentary film on cellular biology.

Vocalists Joan La Barbara and David Moss presented monologues and dialogues composed entirely of sounds with no words. La Barbara told the audience she is, "fascinated by the rhythms of conversation," rather than the sound. It is the rhythm that she imitates in her performances.

Louisa Strength, a member of the audience at Commerce Street Saturday night, explained the attraction of the unusual music as being of a cathartic nature.

"It's about the noise inside of contemporary people," Strength said. "Life is not melodic."

A RING OF FIRE EXPLODES

BY EVA MARUSAK

Feel the heat ... getting hotter and hotter ... pressure's mounting ... explosion imminent ... watch out, here it comes ... Ring of Fire.

Seven years in the making, this new IMAX film takes you to the edge. Spanning the 30,000-mile Pacific Rim where 600 of the world's active volcanoes lie in anticipatory dormancy. Waiting for their day to explode in fiery brilliance, hungry to wreak havoc on unsuspecting thousands.

Let the erupting volcanoes bathe you in a shower of ash and tephra. Swim the pahoehoe lava rivers of Hawaii and watch as mighty Mount St. Helens blows an entire forest to matchbook heaven.

As American schoolchildren face the methodical rigors of a fire drill, schoolchildren in Kagoshima, Japan, take part in the annual Sakurajima volcano drill. Kagoshima, covered by daily rains of ash, lies at the base of still-active Sakurajima. The annual drill commemorates the eruption of 1914 that almost destroyed the entire city.

Charming footage of Japanese Snow Monkeys lounging about the hot springs of Nagano brings a welcome relief to this often intense film.

One adult snow monkey, eyes half-closed, struggling to stay awake for the cameras, finally succumbs to the relaxation of it all. A little slice of heaven in the sometimes fiery hell of volcanoes.

Ritual dances held in Bali (Kecak Dances) try to explain these massive forces and to appease the gods. Villagers perform the battle of the Demons and the Monkeys. The Demon God and the Monkey God battle it out until both are exhausted and make peace only to battle another day.

Workers on the slopes of the volcano Kawah Ijen in Java reap the benefits of appeasement, sulfur. Carrying down almost 100 pounds of sulfur per trip, workers risk their lives to support their families. Even as their lungs fill with poisonous sulfuric acid, these dedicated men smile and go about their duties.

Breathtaking shots of Kilauea's lava lake in Hawaii, the fantastic 100-year eruption of Lonquimay in the Andes, and the eruption of Mount Merapi in Indonesia are but a few feet of the marvelous footage contained in this film.

Cameramen hung from helicopters, photographer Gary Rosenquist took stills 11 miles from Mount St. Helens, and a film crew camped on the edge of a 100-meter-in-diameter lava lake to capture the realism of an active volcano.

Computer graphics map the 30,000-mile ring of fire and take you to the heart of a volcano. From the tectonic plates upwards, graphics take the audience on a volcanic ride up to the skies.

Ring of Fire screenings are everyday on the hour at the Houston Museum of Natural Science in Hermann Park. If you don't like the show, you can always fly a kite in the park.

ASBESTOS FREED BY FIRE; LEVELS WITHIN SAFE LIMITS

BY MICHAEL OESER

Besides damaging the fourth and fifth floors of the Ezekiel Cullen Building, last Tuesday's fire also released asbestos into the building's air, Environmental and Physical Safety Director Tim Ryan said.

However, university officials said while the asbestos must be removed first and as soon as possible, the level of fibers released into the air is well within federal safety standards.

"If there had been any danger, the city (inspectors from the Bureau of Air Quality Control) would have condemned the building," UH Director of Risk Assessment Renee Block said.

The fire had started in the basement of the building, but traveled up a pipe chase to the upper floors. The chilled water pipes in that chase are wrapped in an asbestos legging, which was damaged during the fire.

Ryan said asbestos only pose a health threat when they are airborne, pointing out most of the affected asbestos were either carried out of the building in the smoke, or watered down during efforts to put the fire out.

Following the fire, Ryan's department had Aer-Aqua Laboratories Inc., a nationally-certified lab EPS contracts with, begin taking air samples.

In a memorandum to everyone working in the Cullen Building, Ryan said the number of airborne asbestos fibers was 10 times lower than the maximum unprotected exposure allowed by the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

EPS Hazardous Materials Manager Mark Hunter said Aer-Aqua reported the exposure to fibers in the E. Cullen air following the fire at 0.02 and 0.03 fibers per cubic centimeter over eight hours from two samples taken shortly after the fire. EPS has continued to sample the air, but has encountered no exposure levels higher than these.

The maximum acceptable unprotected exposure to asbestos according to OSHA is 0.2 fibers per cubic centimeter over eight hours.

Ryan also said that now that the asbestos pipe leggings have been damaged, the university will have to remove them for safety reasons.

"If they hadn't been damaged, we probably wouldn't have removed it (the asbestos). It's safe as long as it's not damaged," he said.

In the circulated memo, Ryan said the work would be done by EPS' standard contractor, Nationwide Environmental Services, and overseen by their own asbestos consultant, Analytical Laboratories.

Block said that the abatement has to be done first to comply with city ordinances and that since the damage was done by the fire, insurance will cover the cost of the work.

Asbestos are naturally occurring mineral fibers, which until recently were thought to be harmless. Until then they had been used extensively as a building material in heat and sound proofing.

Exposure to asbestos has been linked to several types of cancer, including asbestosis, a progressive lung disease, and mesothelioma, cancer of the lining of the lungs, both of which are virtually incurable and fatal.

DISABLED STUDENTS` DIPLOMAS NOT A CURE

BY MELISSA NEELEY

George Walls, a junior UH psychology major, says he wants to be an attorney when he finishes college, yet worries about discrimination because he cannot file or get papers out of his desk drawers.

Crosby King, a UH post-baccalaureate student, says he wants to get a part-time job to supplement his social security check, which is supposed to cover all his living expenses, but two-thirds of it goes to paying his rent alone.

"It isn't what you know, really, but who you know," Don Whitfield, a UH law school student, said about finding a job after graduating. Luckily, he has friends who can help him find work after he finishes law school.

Walls, King, and Whitfield are disabled students. In addition to the problems they already face, they must have special accommodations at their work place and also handicapped-accessible transportation to their jobs.

They must also deal with prejudice since their employees may think they cannot work well because of their disabilities. "People have stereotypes about people with disabilities. They assume that absenteeism is high, that tardiness is high and that turnover is high when actually the opposite is true. They (disabled students) want steady jobs to meet their attendant care costs and other expenses," Karen Waldman, director of Handicapped Student Services, said.

Some employers may hesitate to hire employees because of special accommodations required for them to work. "A person sometimes can't even get his foot in the door if the employer knows he is disabled. They (employers) are going to wonder how much it will cost them to make the workplace barrier-free," Waldman said.

Sometimes simple measures such as putting bricks under the legs of desks are the only accommodation needed to allow disabled workers to do their jobs, Waldman said. Somebody with a visual impairment may only need a screen enlargement program for their computers, she said.

"People need to start looking at the strengths and not only the weaknesses of those with disabilities," she said.

The Americans With Disabilities Act, which was passed in July 1990, says that employers cannot discriminate against disabled workers if they can do the essential function of the job. For example, a mathematician who is confined to a wheelchair should still get the job if he is qualified, although he is unable to get papers out of the top drawer of his file cabinet, she said.

Transportation to and from work is a problem for those disabled students who do not have cars of their own. "Not having my own transportation kills me. Monday, my attendant dropped me, so I missed my bus, which caused me to be late to work," John Parker, an independent living specialist, said.

Parker, who graduated from UH with a master's degree in social work, said he is happy that the bus system is improving by becoming more handicapped-accessible. His job options will improve when more bus routes will be equipped with lifts.

Some disabled students have their doubts about the effectiveness of the ADA.

"If someone doesn't want to hire (disabled) people because it might be too expensive, they might go to court to challenge the law. I'm lucky that I have a job waiting for me when school finishes," Whitfield said.

Some students have difficulty getting part-time jobs to add to their social security checks. "With the job that I have now, I only make $200 a month, or I wouldn't get my social security," said Walls, who is paralyzed from the neck down.

King said, "My rent is $325 and that eats almost all of my social security check. I've always been a very frugal individual so I have to make every penny count.

"The biggest handicap (for me) is not being able to get a part-time job while looking for a full-time job." King never goes out to eat and mainly subsists on hot dogs and other "cheap food." He wanted to live in a large apartment in a nice area of town so he could live comfortably.

"I have a car, and it needs a tune-up, but I can't even afford that. I've seen my finances go down the tubes because of this," he said.

SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTE SETS UP SHOP AT UH

BY DESIKAN HARISH

The Smithsonian Institute, a noted authority on science, history and the arts among intellectuals and laymen alike, is bringing its road show to town.

A composite body of 16 museums and galleries, the Smithsonian has an impressive 137 million artifacts, and ranks as the largest museum complex in the world.

Washington is the hub of all the activity, specifically the National Mall, located between the U.S Capitol Building and the Washington Monument. New York shares the spoils with D.C.

The brainchild of British scientist James Smithson, the institution has come a long way since its humble beginnings in 1846. A total of $515,169 was bequeathed by this philanthropist "for the increase and diffusion of knowledge among men," a concept which has persevered to this day.

Houstonians will have the opportunity to experience the Smithsonian firsthand when it visits the Bayou City for a series of lectures and workshops starting Feb. 18.

Organized by the National Associate Program, seven programs are slated for different locations throughout the city.

UH will be the site of one of these programs, titled, "An Armchair View of the Universe Through Space and Time." Jerry Goldstein of the National Air and Space Museum, a functionary of the Smithsonian, will lead the discussion.

The net Smithsonian budget for the year 1991 was $400.1 million, with 24.9 million visitors streaming in and out of its various facilities. The artifacts are essentially donations made by collectors and federal agencies.

The government generates 80 percent of the funds from its coffers, throwing open the doors of all museums in the capitol free of charge.

This promotion bid has surely worked, as the statistics prove, aided by the culture of diverse activity at the Smithsonian. The areas of emphasis range from the analysis of American civilization to research in Space and Technology applications.

This penchant to span the spectrum is the moving force behind the eminence the Smithsonian enjoys among its peers.

The beginning of a desire to revel in the intellectual sphere is sure to happen if you visit the Smithsonian when it is in town. Call 749-2247 for more information.

CHINESE GOVERNMENT SAYS ITS COLLEGE STUDENTS TOO FRIVOLOUS

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

University officials in Beijing think students spend their money too frivolously so they've established classes to teach the benefits of frugality.

Meanwhile, one Chinese student leader in the United States warns that efforts to control students' behavior ultimately will backfire.

A survey of college students published in the English-language China Daily newspaper found that students in Beijing spend an average of $30 a month on entertainment, clothes and cosmetics, the Associated Press reported.

"Some undergraduates get caught up in such extravagant trends as smoking and drinking, while others become too image- conscious and purchase expensive clothes and cosmetics," the report read.

Chinese students studying inAmerica are concerned about the government's reaction.

"The government is going to have to deal with Westernization, that's all," said Shee-Yee Wu, former president of the Chinese-American Association at the University of Florida in Gainesville.

"The more they try to repress, the more the students will rebel. They should let the students enjoy life. Most people support the students anyway. Hopefully, China will see democracy one day," she said.

Following the military crackdown on the student-led, pro-democracy movement in 1989, reports surfaced that students were gambling and partying on campus in increasing numbers, mainly because of their disillusionment with studies.

Now, campus police at Beijing University are enforcing a new rule that prohibits hugging and kissing in public. In October, the government announced plans to crack down on a reported increase in student fighting, sexual activity and gambling, according to the AP report.

FROGS LEAP PAST COUGARS

BY KEITH ROLLINS

The Cougars relinquished first place in the Southwest Conference and a possible top-25 ranking with their 67-54 loss to Texas Christian Saturday.

The Cougars failed to take advantage of the early foul trouble of TCU center Reggie Smith, the Frogs' leading scorer and rebounder. Instead, Houston missed key shots, resulting in a modest 40.8 shooting percentage from the field and a dismal 23.5 percent from the three-point line.

After Smith committed his fourth foul with 8:26 remaining, reserve center Kurt Thomas entered the game. He surprised the Cougars and changed the momentum of the game, shooting four of five on a stunned Cougar defense.

TCU, 16-4, gained sole position of first place in the SWC at 5-1 while Houston, 15-4, fell to second at 4-2 in conference play.

At the half, the Cougars maintained a 28-20 lead, mainly due to tough defense, but the Frogs exploded with a 15-4 run to open the second half. The Horned Frogs, who have beat the Cougars the last four years in Fort Worth, out-scored them by 21 points in the half with a 56.7 shooting percentage.

The Frogs' shooting was red hot in the second half. Even Smith, who is a 56 percent freethrow shooter, made seven of eight from the line. In comparison, the Cougars, who have struggled at the charity stripe all season, made only five of 12 free-throws in the second half.

Sam Mack, who helped the Cougars recover from a 16-point deficit against the Aggies last week, could not work his magic again.

Mack's 21 points led all scores in the game, but he could not find his all-important, three-point shooting range. He finished making only one out of six tries.

Craig Upchurch, the Cougars second leading scorer, ended the game with 10 points on a three of 10 shooting performance, and Charles Outlaw, the Cougars leading rebounder, finished with only seven boards.

The Cougars return home to host the Southern Methodist Mustangs at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Hofheinz. The Cougars will enter the game with a 15-4 overall record and a 4-2 SWC mark.