SORORITY ENSURES EVERY STAR OF HOPE FOOT SHOD

BY MARCIA MARBURY

Members of the Zeta Phi Beta sorority will be wearing down the soles of their shoes today, but with a particular cause in mind.

Chapter members kicked off their second annual shoe drive on Wednesday to benefit residents of the Star of Hope, a transitional living center.

Regina Lewis, ZPB chairwoman, said the sorority had sponsored other charitable events in the past, but none had sparked her interest as much as the shoe drive.

START HERE:

"Some students worry about buying expensive, name-brand items, but many people don't even own a pair of shoes," Lewis said.

Sorority members decided to extend their shoe drive to two days so everyone could have the opportunity to donate.

Lewis said, "More than 100 pairs of shoes were donated at our drive last year, but we're hoping to double that figure this time."

ZPB members will be collecting shoes today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the PGH breezeway. After the drive, shoes can be delivered to the Black Student Union.

*******************************************************

LADY COUGARS FALL TO SMU 69-66 IN FINAL MINUTES

COUGAR SPORTS SERVICE

The Lady Cougars lost a heart-breaker to the Southern Methodist Mustangs 69-66 Wednesday night in Fort Worth, putting their top 25 ranking in jeopardy.

Coming down to the final minutes, the lead was close, but center Darla Simpson and guard Margo Graham could not convert key freethrows. The misses sparked a Mustang rally that eventually led to their win.

With 22 lead changes taking place, the score fluctuated frequently throughout the game.

At 14:07 in the second half, the Lady Cougars were down by nine, but stormed back and took the lead with 7:46 remaining.

After holding the Mustangs down for almost six minutes, the Cougars gave the lead away for good with 1:50 remaining in the second half.

The disappointing loss leaves the Lady Cougars 16-4 overall and ups the Mustangs to a 12-6 mark.

COUGAR WIN, TCU LOSS PUTS HOUSTON IN A THREE-WAY TIE FOR CONFERENCE LEAD

BY JASON LUTHER

Houston forward Craig Upchurch scored 10 second-half points in 10 minutes to lead the Cougars to a 67-50 win over Southern Methodist University in Hofheinz Wednesday night.

The win put the Cougars in a three-way tie for first place as Texas Christian fell to Texas Tech in Fort Worth.

Throughout the first half, the Cougars and the Mustangs battled each other with sluggish play and sparse shooting.

However, at the 15:50 in the second half, forward Craig Upchurch sparked a 17-6 Houston run, which lasted for over 10 minutes and put the game well out of reach for the Mustangs.

Once again, Upchurch proved himself the team leader, scoring a team-high 17 points, 13 of which came in the second half.

"Overall, Upchurch had the best game of anybody we had tonight," Houston Coach Pat Foster said. "Craig had a 10-minute stretch in the second half that was the best basketball he's played in the past four or five games."

Foster said the defense played an important role in the win.

Houston's match-up zone contained SMU to only 24 first-half points.

"That zone is supposed to be a man-to-man (zone). We're supposed to be out there on people," Foster said. "From time to time, you lose that aggressiveness, but we had it tonight. That was the difference in the second half."

At the start of the first half, it looked as if neither team wanted to score.

It wasn't until 17:19 of the first half that Cougar forward Sam Mack broke the silence with a three pointer.

At 10:58, the score was within reach for SMU at 19-14.

However, an 11-2 Houston run put the Cougars' lead at 14.

But the Mustangs failed to give up in the first half, rallying around the play of guard Mike Wilson, who's 18 points led all scores.

By halftime, Wilson and SMU had battled the Cougars to within 10 at 34-24.

When the second half started, Houston let the Mustangs get back into the game.

At 17:43, Wilson scored three straight baskets to cut the Cougar lead to six at 36-30.

However, Houston quickly regrouped behind Upchurch and reeled off nine straight points.

"Every game we've lost, we've lost in the second half," Upchurch said. "We were just trying to pick it up and overcome the second-half problems, and that's what we did."

Houston Center Charles Outlaw provided the power inside, fighting for nine rebounds and blocking four shots.

"I was trying to get more rebounds, trying to fight and get to the boards a little more," Outlaw said.

The Cougars' shooting problems continued as they shot under 45 percent in the first half, and just a little over that in the second.

However, it didn't really matter, as the Mustangs shot only 32.7 percent from the field for the entire game.

Houston's bench helped out considerably, scoring 18 points. Freshman forward Jessie Drain continues to improve as he led scoring off the bench with nine points.

Houston heads into the home stretch with a share of first place, with Texas, TCU and Rice yet to visit Houston. If the Cougars can get their shooting in check and keep playing sound defense, they appear to have a legitimate shot at winning the conference.

Houston's next game is against Texas at 2:45 p.m. Sunday in Hofheinz.

ALBEE'S QUICK CHANGE LANDS HIM IN SOME HOT WATER

BY REBECCA MCPHAIL

Playwright and UH Drama Professor Edward Albee recently bared a little more than his soul.

Albee was arrested and taken into custody by Florida's Metro-Dade Police Department at 12:30 p.m. on Jan. 19.

Police spokesman Detective Donald Blocker said the charge against Albee is "exposure of a sexual organ."

On the day in question, Albee was taking a walk on the beach. Realizing his bathing suit was sandy, he decided to duck behind the bushes and change, but not before checking to make sure the area was deserted. "I didn't even see anybody," he said.

Unfortunately for Albee, Metro-Dade County officers William Monahan and Ben Rawley were patrolling the area and caught Albee with his pants down.

The officers arrested Albee and he was taken into police custody. In lieu of posting a bond, he was asked to sign a "promise to appear" note, which states that he will appear before a court when the date is set.

Albee has not yet been notified of a trial date. If he is convicted, the charge could cost Albee a $1,000 fine and up to a year in jail.

However, Blocker said the charge may die before ever reaching a courtroom. "It may be dropped before it gets anywhere," he said.

Nothing would please Albee more than a quick resolution to the situation. "I'm tired of it," he said.

While Albee said the media is blowing things out of proportion, he does admit that the police have a valid charge against him. "I'm guilty of what they said -- taking my suit off," he said.

Apparently, the police were just as surprised to see Albee as Albee was to see them. According to Blocker, Albee was in the nearly deserted Crandon Park at the northern end of Key Biscayne Beach. "He was not in an area where the public normally is," Blocker said.

Police had been patrolling the area more heavily in recent weeks after receiving complaints from park employees of nude people sunbathing on the beach.

The sunbathers had been yelling and throwing objects at the employees. "The area is technically off-limits to the public," Blocker said.

According to Albee, who has a home in the Key Biscayne area, the beach is one of his favorite places.

"I love that beach," he said. "It has great places for wading."

Although he is eager to put the incident behind him, Albee believes that it would be much easier if the media would let go of the story.

"Unless people keep writing about it, " he said, "it'll be forgotten."

FIRE'S EFFECTS DWINDLING BUT NOXIOUS SMOKE LINGERS

Activity is bustling on the upper floors of E. Cullen as swarms of clean-up workers restore last week's fire damage, amounting to at least $600,000, UH officials said.

Renee Block, assistant director of risk management, said because the building is insured, UH will only have to pay $100,000, the insurance policy's deductible.

However, the UH System will absorb some of the cost, Block said, because it has offices on the fifth floor.

Dennis Boyd, senior vice president for administration and finance, said he will decide where the money will come from at the end of the week.

Except for the fourth floor, which accrued the most damage, Boyd said the other offices are back in business.

The fourth floor Office of Development will not be repaired for at least six weeks, Boyd said. After the fire was extinguished on Jan. 28, smoke and water damage were anticipated. But another problem still unresolved is the amount of structural damage to the building.

"Some of the cement inside the structure has broken away and pulled from the marble," Block said.

Bill Moore, project manager for Facilities Planning, said a structural engineer will inspect the chase (a small shaft in the building) to see how extensive the damage is. But the area cannot be surveyed until all of the asbestos covering the pipes are removed, which will take at least a week.

Moore said he thinks the shaft walls will need to be rebuilt. However, if there is severe structural damage, the cost of restoration will be well in excess of $600,000.

Block said a number of employees working in the building have called complaining about headaches and nausea from the remaining smoke fumes.

Eric Miller, director of Media Relations, said he is telling people in his offices to leave the building for at least an hour a day to get away from the fumes.

These fumes are dissipating as restoration crews clean the ventilation system.

The third, fourth and fifth floors have all been repainted, and the remaining carpet has been cleaned.

Crews have been feverishly working on the fire-damaged fourth floor where the brunt of the damage occurred. Workers are hauling out fire-gutted furniture, removing carpet and cleaning all of the remaining files, one by one.

Miller and others expressed surprise at the expedience of the work.

On Wednesday, about 70 workers orchestrated efforts via two-way radio to clean up the upper floors. When a signal was dispatched, the workers rapidly moved to a new floor.

A memo was sent to all E. Cullen employees instructing them to vacate the building during the evenings this week and not to come in this weekend.

As part of the restoration, Greenwood Restoration will deodorize the building and "soot set" the air conditioning system during these hours.

Frank Cempa, UHPD assistant chief, said the arson report filed Tuesday ruled the fire was accidental. The report stated the "probable source of the ignition was an improperly discarded smoking material."

NEW SFAC CHAIR GIVEN A SURPLUS PIE TO SLICE

BY CROSBY KING

The new chair of the Student Fee Advisory Council has inherited a nice problem -- how to dole out a hefty surplus generated by another high fall enrollment.

Daniel Lurvey and the ten other SFAC members will have more than $166,000 to spread among the school's student service units.

This figure represents the difference between actual student fees and projected fees. The budget office based its projection on an enrollment of 31,500 students, but the real number, about 33,600, brought in the surplus.

The original amount was $373,000, but deductions such as the athletic department's mandatory 35 percent cut brought it down to a level nearly equalling last year's figure. Still, Lurvey said the surplus may be enough to ward off a possible 10 percent hike in student fees.

Lurvey, a senior chemical engineering major, is one of five Students' Association appointees to the newly formed SFAC. He said one of the committee's biggest challenges will be whether or not to recommend a fee increase.

"In general, I know students are opposed to any kind of increase because they really don't know where all the money is going," he said.

Lurvey mentioned ways to publicize SFAC's work, such as distributing handbooks and fliers at registration. He said plaques could be posted on the doors of the various units declaring that its services are made possible by student fees.

Lurvey said he anticipated running for chair as soon as the SA selected him for the board.

"It seemed like a very challenging job," he said, "and I wanted to project a direction for the committee in my point of view."

Former SFAC chair Rodger Peters said he was both disappointed and relieved after losing in last Friday's election.

"When you're chair," he said, "you're able to run ideas past the committee. I didn't have to go through channels to do it.

"I'm relieved because I don't have to worry about it any more. I can concentrate on my studies."

OFFICERS RECOVER $500 IN STOLEN BOOKS, SUPPLIES

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

On Jan. 30, the UH Police Department recovered roughly $500 in merchandise that had fallen prey to one of the biggest and least-solved types of crime on campus -- theft of unattended textbooks and school supplies.

UHPD recovered the stolen books and supplies when they investigated a call from Rother's bookstore that someone was trying to sell back stolen books.

The incident started when mechanical engineering sophomore Eric Heath discovered his backpack had been stolen from the University Center Games Room at about 1 p.m. on Jan. 30.

He immediately called in the theft to UHPD, describing the backpack, its contents and the marks he had put in the book to identify it as his. Besides his textbooks, the most expensive item in the pack was a Hewlett-Packard calculator valued at roughly $300.

UHPD advised him to call in the same information to both of the bookstores near campus.

At about 1:30 p.m. the same day, Nick Westerterp, a textbook manager at Rother's, saw two men trying to sell one of Heath's books back to his store. Westerterp placed a call to UHPD.

Both suspects were charged with theft by receiving, a Class A misdemeanor. The crime carries a fine no greater than $3,000 or county jail time no longer than one year or both.

Bail has been set at $500 for each suspect.

Police have yet to contact the owners of the other two backpacks, but the two UH owners, Heath and Binh Ha, a biology sophomore, have been located and their property has been returned.

"The identifying mark on his property made this case," Wigtil said. "But don't just put one on the first page where it can be ripped out.

"Maybe put your name on every page 100 of all of your books. He (Heath) also took time to report the theft," Wigtil said.

"We can all take an extra measure of security," he said, adding that roughly 300 to 400 of these crimes occur each year.

"Maybe the individual sheets of paper aren't worth that much, but what if there's a 20-page research paper in there. And we've seen that."