COUGARS BLASTED BY TEXAS IN HOFHEINZ

BY KEITH ROLLINS

A tough Texas Longhorn team placed the Cougars in a disheartening situation Sunday as they ran wild in an 87-72 drumming of the hometown boys in Hofheinz Pavilion.

The Cougars will now have to hope for losses by Texas and Texas Christian to get another shot at the Southwest Conference title, a scenario senior forward Craig Upchurch wanted to avoid.

"We didn't want anybody to do our job for us. Now, somebody else must lose for us to win," Upchurch said.

After Sam Mack hit a 3-pointer to open the scoring and the Cougars jumped to a 7-6 lead, Texas' always- present, full-court press seemed penetrable.

However, Texas forward Benford Williams led a surge that left the Cougars wondering what was happening to them.

"We were playing at a pace we could not execute at and could not get comfortable with," Coach Pat Foster said.

"This fast-paced style that employs a three-guard rotation will enable them to do well in the NCAA tournament."

The Cougars were able to mount a comeback, tying the score at 34-34 with 3:10 remaining in the first half. But the late scoring heroics of Texas center Albert Burditt and a careless Houston defense left the Cougars behind 44-37 at intermission.

Everything went wrong for the Cougars in the second half.

The Horns jumped out to a fast start with a 10-5 run and held the Cougars to a 10-point deficit through most of the half.

"It seemed every time we got close, we would throw it away or miss a pass," Mack said.

The Texas press eventually tallied 24 turnovers and enabled the Horns to out-rebound the Cougars 44-34.

Even though the Cougars shot better, 48.2 percent to Texas' 46.7 percent, their total shots attempted were much less due to their unimpressive work on the boards.

"We really looked like a bad ballclub," Foster said. "For two-thirds of the game, we were really poor in every area."

By losing, the Cougars' SWC record fell to 5-3, pitting them third behind the 6-2 Longhorns and 6-2 Horned Frogs of TCU.

Houston's overall record now stands at 16-5, however the Cougars chance for the SWC title could be in some jeopardy.

Noting that Texas has yet to lose at home and has already beaten TCU in Fort Worth, Foster said the Longhorns could now make a run for the SWC title.

"All of their players are very good," Foster said. "They are certainly in the position to win out."

Considering the fact that Houston might face the Horns in the SWC tournament later in the year, Foster said that drastic changes would be implemented in order to conquer this nemesis.

The Cougars will travel to Baylor Wednesday night to try to make amends for this loss and will undoubtedly watch as Texas battles Texas Tech.

*******************************************************

SEXUAL HARASSMENT VICTIMS NOT OUT FOR BLOOD, JUST PEACE

BY CROSBY KING

UH has a strict policy concerning sexual harassment, but because of students' unwillingness to bring formal complaints against the violators, the school cannot legally discipline offenders.

Katherine Glaucey, student representative to the Sexual Harassment Policy and implementation Committee (SHPIC), said most victims are not out for revenge.

"Students want an informal policy that doesn't challenge someone's job," she said. "When you're being harrassed in the classroom, you don't want the professor's job taken away, but you want the behavior stopped."

Cynthia Freeland, head of the UH Women's Studies Department, said women seek to avoid the complexities of formal charges, which may involve hearings and testimony.

But she noted the informal process may seem vague and open to interpretation. One way to stop sexual harrassment is for the victim to approach the head of her department, but Freeland said women may be reluctant to do that.

"There's always a fear that the person who works in the office is going to protect the university rather than the victim," she said.

Dorothy Caram, interim assistant to the president for Affirmative Action, said she has initiated no formal charges in her year at that post. She is the sole employee of her staff, but she said she encourages students to come to her office when seeking help in sexual harassment cases.

But Sandy Friedan, chair of SHPIC, said she recommends victims seek one of eight ombudspersons on campus. The ombudsperson program, started last year, trained eight representatives of students, faculty, and staff in sexual harassment.

Friedan said statistics showed 50 to 80 percent of women on college campuses had reported being sexually harassed, but that some ombudspersons had heard nothing from students.

"Why don't they come forward and drown these persons in phone calls?" she asked. "Because we need to educate them."

Sexual harassment may include unwelcome flirtations, sexually explicit jokes, and suggestive or unwelcome physical contact. Although the vast majority of cases involve men harassing women, the perpetrators may be women, and the parties may be of the same sex.

Three of eight ombudspersons are male. Terry Bridges, area coordinator at Moody Towers, said no students have called him for advice. He said nothing is absolute, but in most cases, female victims would prefer to talk with women.

"It's very difficult to appreciate the magnitude of the problem from the viewpoint of being a male," he said.

Bridges said his role as an ombudsperson was to speak with the victims and find out what their wishes are while being supportive and maintaining objectivity.

Although UH has gone far in its formation of sexual harassment policy and procedures, an outsider says it can do more.

Harriot Erlich, head of the Houston-area Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, said UH needs to press for a "harassment-free environment."

"If the university's policy requires that a victim sign her name to the formal complaint before they take any action, that's simply not enough," she said.

SEXUAL HARASSMENT GOES UNREPORTED ON CAMPUS

BY PAULA NAST

As hard as it may be to believe that sexual harassment could exist in an academic setting, there are women on campus who would tell you that it does.

The three women who shared their experiences for this article asked that their real names not be used for fear of retaliation or repercussions.

Gretchen's story: Gretchen is a UH student and works on campus.

"I was in the office when he (the teacher) came in. He said he wanted to talk to me. I said O.K.

"I began following him down the hallway not feeling suspicious. He started trying to open doors in the hallway that were obviously locked. That's when I began to get suspicious. I thought, `Why is he trying to open locked doors?'

"He started pushing open the women's restroom door, and he took my hand and started pulling me into the restroom. I saw a friend walking by that also knew the teacher.

"I called out her name and like I started making facial expressions to her, like `Help' and `Come here,' because I was afraid. Afraid that he was going to take advantage of me or touch me.

"She came over and rescued me. She started talking to the teacher asking him where his wife was. The teacher began talking to her. I took advantage of that moment and, almost running, took off.

"I ran and called my mom from the office and he walked in. He came over and grabbed my hand. Meanwhile, I'm still on the phone with my mom. I kept jerking my hand away, and he kept grabbing it. Then he stepped behind the desk and behind me.

"He put his hands around my waist and put his hands on the desk. I was trapped. He started grinding his body into mine. I was squirming around, trying to get away. I still felt safer than before because I was on the phone. He couldn't ask me to go anywhere again or talk to me.

"Fortunately, someone came walking in. Immediately, he (the teacher) jumped 10 feet away from me. He was definitely aware that his behavior was wrong.

"This person started talking to him. Meanwhile, again I was giving facial expressions to that person telling him not to leave. I was mouthing things like, `Please don't leave. Stay here.'

"The teacher finally left. I told this person, `Please stay here; don't leave me alone.' That person said, `I hope you're not getting yourself into trouble.' I said, `No, I'm not getting myself into trouble.' Like how dare you accuse me. Like he was implying that I was the one egging it on. I felt angry, mad, frustrated, hurt. I was thinking, `How can he be saying this when I didn't do anything wrong?'"

Gretchen said she didn't report the incident.

"Why? Why didn't I report it? Fear of losing my job in the department. I have a secure job. Mother and Daddy don't pay for my education.

"I was afraid to report it because things might come back on me. Who is going to believe a measly student?

"If I took action, other people would find out about it, and they wouldn't look at me in the same, respectable way and that could hurt my career.

"People would look at me like a troublemaker, like I was making waves.

"These people in high-up positions like me a lot, but this teacher is in a very high position. So if people talk to me, he might think these people are on my side, not his. Their jobs could suffer. They have to kiss his butt. That's the only way they'll get somewhere."

Gretchen said she did talk to someone about the incident, wanting to know what her options were if she decided to take any action.

But, because of her unwillingness to identify herself and the teacher's high position, she said little was done.

"I knew his supervisor would sweep it under the rug to protect him. There was no point in reporting it. If I went through the formal procedures, I'd have to face him. People might say, `So what?'

"But they have to understand. I need this job. I need the scholarship money I get. I need to be able to graduate. I need to have a career. This man has the power to ruin everything for me."

Rebecca's story: Rebecca is a UH professor.

"I had an undergraduate male student in my class who was older than the average student. He would approach me after class and say things. He wrote me slasher letters. He'd call me at home.

"One time he called me in the middle of the night and told me he had a dream. In the dream, he had stabbed me in the chest and he was licking it up.

"I went to three male officials with this problem. One said maybe I was subconsciously seducing him. Another said this student was eccentric, but brilliant.

"I endured this behavior for two years because he took my classes. It was double harrassment because the three officials I went to did nothing.

"I even called the police. They told me they cannot remove a student from campus unless you are physically injured or touched by the student. He hadn't attacked me, so there was nothing I could do.

"All those letters didn't constitute enough evidence to have anything done."

"I was so hysterical at the time. I don't think I was thinking straight. I had male students offer to be my bodyguards. They recognized how dangerous this student was."

"Finally, I heard of anothyer professor who had similar experiences with this student. She had gone to her chair, who went to the dean of that college. I wrote a letter to the dean of that college, to the academic vice president of the university and the Committee on the Status of Women, telling them of my experiences with the same student."

Rebecca said the dean and the chairman got together with the student, persuading him not to take her classes anymore.

"Maybe I should have pressed more, but women learn from past experiences not to do more."

"Women complain. Men have reasonable problems. A number of factors collaborated to keep me quiet. One of them was I had tenure. If the administration does not like the way you are behaving, they can make your life miserable. They can do things like deny you pay raises.

"Women are vunerable. Everyone thinks once you have tenure you are safe-that's not true. Women are never safe. To open your mouthis to set yourself up for punishment. You learn as women you don't say anything. You learn this at an early age. You learn you can't fight city hall."

Margaret's story: Margaret is a UH professor.

Margaret said she was asked to go along on a recruiting dinner. She and another professor were going to be interviewing a candidate for a position in the department.

At the last minute, she said, the professor who was supposed to have gone along with her cancelled, and another professor signed up to go with Margaret instead.

"I found out later he never really looked at the person we were interviewing as a viable candidate. Throughout the evening, he paid very little attention to anything the candidate said. After dinner, we dropped the candidate off at his hotel."

"This professor kept trying to get me to go places with him to get drunk and stuff. He finally took me to my house and then he wouldn't leave. Essentially, it was a rape situation."

"He had been making advances before this incident. I had coded him in my mind as someone to be careful of."

Margaret said there was nothing she could do.

"I absolutely felt my hands were tied. I didn't dare come forward with my story. He was the golden boy of the department."

The Equal ERmployment Opportunity Commission suggests that sexual harrassment victims keep written records with dates, times, and possible witnesses. The EEOC also recommends that victims tell friends, family or any other personal acquaintances of incidents of sexual harrassment.

Dorothy Caram, director of the UH Office of Affirmative Action, said campus incidents of sexual harrassment can be reported to her or through an ombudsperson.

PICKERING CHANGES OFFICES, TAKES OVER BARNETT'S DUTIES

Whether ailing UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett will able to return is uncertain, but acting President James Pickering is decisively tackling new problems facing the university.

Even with his dual role as acting president and senior vice president for academic affairs/provost, Pickering is wasting no time in tackling the challenges of the future.

He has been at UH for 10 years, nine as the dean of the College of Humanities and Fine Arts and the past year in the provost position.

Currently, he is in the process of moving his possessions from his old office to that of the president. Barnett's husband, Walter King, removed her personal items from the office soon after she announced that she was taking a six-month leave-of-absence.

Comfortably leaning back in his chair, Pickering articulated his game plan for the next six months.

"We have the agenda for this year established by Dr. Barnett. Her vision is fairly well set. But what changes are the strategies and ways we will get there," Pickering said.

And the problems have already begun.

"Texas is moving rapidly to implement a series of performance measures for each institution. The Legislative Budget Board is asking us how well we do, as a state agency, to meet our goals and objectives," he said.

The LBB is asking state institutions to submit a mission statement outlining their goals by April 1. The whole plan will have to be completed by June 1, he said.

Because they have just learned of the performance measure, Pickering said he is uncertain how UH will be judged.

Faculty members were uneasy about Barnett's leave-of-absence because she had left Deputy to the President Tom Jones in charge, rather than Pickering.

But Pickering described the confusion as a misunderstanding.

"I never had any feelings that he took over my duties," Pickering said.

Jones was Barnett's deputy to the chancellor when she headed the University of Missouri-St. Louis. She created the deputy position at UH and brought him here at the end of 1991. But Jones isn't planning to move back.

"I realize I had a special job with Dr. Barnett, and we had a very close relationship. I came down here to work with her, but that part has changed. But Dr. Pickering has asked me to continue, and I accepted. He and I get along well," Jones said.

Pickering would not speculate on who will be made the interim president if Barnett steps down.

He said the toughest job as acting president is learning to delegate responsibilities, a lesson he said he is quickly learning.

HOT BATS PROPEL UH TO 3-0 START

BY MARTY HAJOVSKY

One week ago, UH Coach Brad Stockton was wondering just how rough a diamond his Cougar baseball team was.

In breezing through the first three games of the season, it's obvious they're rough, but only to the other team.

Houston wiped out Texas Southern, Southwest Texas and UT-Arlington in four days by a combined score of 28-5, despite typical, early-season defensive lapses that produced seven errors.

An impressive outing by junior pitcher Jeff Haas and blistering starts at the plate from senior Rusty "Smash" Smajstrla and junior transfer R.D. Long punctuated the week as the Cougars surged to 3-0.

Perhaps the most impressive of the three was Haas. A junior transfer from Indiana State, Haas had rung up 10 wins in his two years as a Sycamore.

On Saturday, the righthander showcased an overpowering fastball in setting down 10 Southwest Texas batters in six innings on the way to his first win as a Cougar.

"He had a good, live fastball today," Stockton said after the victory over Southwest. "(Senior Chris) Tremie was his catcher in the summer, which is how we found out about him. We're just fortunate to have him. He's a real tough competitor."

Stockton is projecting Jeff Wright as his Friday night starter against Baylor in the Cougars' first Southwest Conference meeting with Haas and junior Neil Atkinson to handle the Saturday double-header.

Atkinson, a left-handed junior from San Antonio, looked good over the week with a 1.50 ERA in six relief innings with one save.

Wright was not so bright in a spotty start against UT-Arlington on Sunday. The junior transfer from Texarkana Junior College gave up six hits and two runs in four innings, but did manage to strike out five while earning a no-decision.

Wright got the outs when he needed them, but too often, he was throwing from behind in the count.

If the early play of Smajstrla is any indication, the Cougars won't be out-matched at the plate. Out to prove that last season's numbers (.348 avg., 10 HR, 39 RBI) were no fluke, "Smash" burst from the gates with a .700 average and three RBI through three games.

Close behind Smajstrla for best- start-at-the-plate award is junior transfer R.D. Long, who hit .571 with six runs scored. Long gives the Cougars the lead-off hitter with speed they've lacked in years past.

The inflated early season numbers continue with left-fielder Ricky Freeman (.750, one HR, four RBI), Kirk Taylor (.375 with three RBI and two runs scored) and Brian Blair (.300 with two RBI and two runs scored).

However, the rust is still showing in the field for this young Cougar team. Even though they're 3-0, committing seven errors in three games is like taking a lightning rod into a rain storm. You can do it, but sooner or later, you're going to get scorched.

"We made some mistakes out there," Stockton said. "We need to make sure our defense gets tough."

The new SWC format, where each school will face each other six times in one home and one away series, will tend to highlight any weaknesses a team might have. The round-robin conference schedule will begin for the Cougars this weekend when they host Baylor.

If the last week is any indication, UH will score a lot of runs. The only problem is, if the defense continues to turn routine plays into adventures, so will the opposition.

WHY HUMANS EXIST

BY TIFFANY RATHER

Nothing exists in pure isolation; everything is interconnected. This is the theme of Bernt Capra's filmMindwalk.

This film asks the question, "What is man's place and duty in his world and life?" The answer is provided through heavy debate over objects, sciences and patterns of thoughts.

Mindwalk is entirely consumed by the intellectual conversations between Jack Edwards (Sam Waterston), a politician; Thomas Harriman (John Heard), a poet; and Sonia Hoffman (Liv Ullmann), a physicist.

The film opens with an exhausted Edwards calling his best friend Harriman to come up with some relief from the fast-paced life that Edwards leads. Harriman takes Edwards to Mount St. Michel, a place where people can be mentally transported back to the simpler time of castles and beaches.

This is where the two meet Hoffman. Shortly afterward, the three are deep into conversation when Hoffman shares that she finds politicians' mentality on solving problems one step at a time out of date and a complete waste of time.

She then goes on to inform the gentlemen that there aren't several problems plaguing the world, but only one -- the way man perceives everything around him.

"All the problems now facing man are only manifestations of a central crisis, the crisis of perception," Hoffman said.

She then refers to Edwards' way of problem-solving as "mechanism", the idea of breaking something down into smaller parts in order to understand the whole.

Edwards tries to argue his side, but finds himself understanding what she is conveying. Quickly, he becomes a strong advocate for changing the world in the terms of what Hoffman described, and he asks her to work for him on his campaign staff. She declines, stressing her dislike of politics.

Harriman rejoices in finding Hoffman, a woman who can stubbornly argue her thoughts against Edwards', but Harriman realizes that Hoffman criticizes the world and its people so much because she is not happy with herself and has locked anyone meaningful out of her life.

By the end of the film, the characters have found their true relationship with the world around them, and have a better understanding of life.

The film was boring, so don't waste your money or time.

CRAMPING AT THE VATICAN

BY JENNIFER SORUFKA

The Cramps. Just the name should give you a hint of how last Thursday's show at the Vatican went.

I'll admit up front that I went to the concert because I "heard" that The Cramps were legends of their own time, innovators in the realm of music. I left believing that The Cramps are legends in their own minds that have attracted a following merely because they are bona fide freaks.

Freaks?!? How dare I call them freaks! But dare, I do, for there is no other word for what was on the stage.

Close your eyes and imagine the worst male body ever, clothed in a black body suit that did little to hide his religion, featuring a face just a tad better looking than Iggy Pop and Mick Jagger combined -- with make-up and heels. Not to mention the anorexic likes of Slim Chance, their bassist, also clad in heels. (I'll leave the rest up to your imagination.)

I tried really hard to like their music, if not their look. I even went to the bathroom and listened, but the sight of the band still lingered in my mind. They must be one of those bands that, like coffee and wine, one must grow to appreciate.

It took me no time, however, to fall in love with the sound of their opening band, Dash Rip Rock. Their "Rock-a-billy" sound had even the tallest mohawks bobbing to the beat of their almost-country songs. They are a true rock'n'roll band, and their songs and stage show could be called nothing short of hilarious.

Dash Rip Rock met The Cramps a few years ago, and when the time came for The Cramps to go on tour, they gave Lux, lead singer of The Cramps, a call.

Though Dash Rip Rock had an interesting time getting the odd crowds attracted by The Cramps, they have proven that they can get any crowd moving with such "classics" as "John Travolta", a take-off of "My Shirona" by the Knack, and their own special version of "Stairway to Heaven."

MEDICINE MAN NEEDS A LOVE DOCTOR

BY SALLY POUNCY

Have you ever lost something?

If not, consider losing your car keys before going to see the newest Sean Connery film, Medicine Man

This movie was pathetic. It belittles the search for a cure for cancer and harps on the destruction of rain forests. If the script were written better, the subjects could have worked great together, but by worrying about ticket sales, the filmmakers botched their chance to have a film with a social conscience.

The film begins with Dr. Rae Crane embarking on a journey to meet the unconventional Dr. Robert Campbell, who has holed himself up in the thick of the Amazon jungle.

When Crane finally arrives at the camp, she finds him drunk off his butt and wearing one of Toucan Sam's relatives as a tribal mask.

The next morning, Campbell realizes that Crane is the research assistant he requested and immediately insists she return. Crane says no, and the fighting begins.

Eventually, he accepts her as his assistant and seems to fall in love with her, but he never kisses her (darn it!). She obliges by falling for him and helps him figure out how he developed a serum that cures cancer.

The film stars Sean Connery (Mr. original James Bond) in the role of Dr. Campbell. His portrayal of the crotchety scientist is effective, but because of the script, he misses the mark when it comes to divulging the emotions his character has for his assistant.

Academy Award nominee Lorraine Bracco stars opposite Connery as Dr. Rae Crane, a loud-mouthed bio-chemist from the Bronx. She does a good job stumbling through the forest, but her character never seems to develop any deep emotion for Campbell.

The writing of the film is largely to blame for the shortcomings of the romantic relationship between the scientists.

It seems like the screenwriters were originally more interested in selling the idea of "destroy the rain forest, and who knows what discoveries will be gone forever."

The movie would have sold on that idea alone, but somewhere in the development of the script, someone must have thought "Hey, wouldn't it be a great idea if they fell in love?"

Maybe if the movie had a six-week time frame. But it doesn't, and the love story drags the plot down.

If you can ignore the paltry romance between the characters, then you may enjoy the action part of the film. The two swing through the trees, free-fall into a river and nearly get charred by a forest fire.

Medicine Man is an o.k. movie, but the convoluted storylines get in the way of it being a great movie. If you're a die-hard Connery fan, go see the film. If not, wait for the video.

LOCAL FLAIR AT LATIN FESTIVAL

BY CHRISTOPHER CUMMINGS

Latin American dancers and musicians, wearing exotic, colorful costumes, illuminated the Houston Room and dazzled an overflowing capacity crowd for two hours Sunday afternoon.

"It was one of the most exciting things I've seen since my arrival here in the United States," said Roberto Perez, a high school foreign exchange student from Spain.

More than 350 people packed the room to see the Second Annual Arturo Monsanto Latin American Folk Festival, presented by the UH Department of Hispanic and Classical Languages and the School of Communications.

The festival was filled with more than 70 local performers, artists and students, representing Argentina, the Andean Region, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico and Spain.

The Gitanerias Flamenco Dancers kicked off the festival with a vibrant display of Spanish singing and dancing.

Ambassadors International Ballet Folklorico, Xochipilli, Argentina 2000 and Kjatari also participated in the festivities by performing their native songs and dances.

UH Spanish Professor Carlos Monsanto, festival coordinator, displayed his own musical talent on the electronic keyboards.

A Guatemalan fashion show, coordinated by Mountain View College English Professor Geoffrey Grimes featured UH students as models. Grimes said he has been very interested in Guatemalan culture for many years.

"By showing these artifacts to the public, I'm trying to call attention to the diverse traditions of the Mayan Indian people of Guatemala," Grimes said.

This is the second year Monsanto has organized the festival. The proceeds from the show go to the Art Monsanto Scholarship Fund and Educational Endowment.

The fund was introduced after the accidental death of Art Monsanto, Carlos Monsanto's son, in September 1989. Art was a communications student at UH, who worked at The Daily Cougar and graduated in 1985.

Monsanto said the initial scholarship donation was given by Art's friends and family members in lieu of funeral flowers.

Besides the scholarship, the Monsanto family has donated $200 for the past two semesters to those in need of textbooks.

The money from the festival is funneled through the endowment to the Communications Department for student internships and scholarships, and to the Hispanic and Classical Languages Department to help students travel abroad.

Last year, Alma Canamar received $500 to travel to Puebla, Mexico, to take classes and experience the cultures firsthand with other students.

"I'm very thankful to the program. I came back from Mexico with a lot of pride in my culture," Canamar said.

Monsanto said this year's proceeds from the festival will be given to one of two students to travel to Spain.

Before the festival, Monsanto said he was skeptical about how many people would actually come to the show.

"It's hard to make this thing work because we don't have a student association program backing us up," Monsanto said.

After the festival, Monsanto said he was very happy at the size of the crowd and the great support from former students.

LADY COUGARS GORED BY LONGHORNS 80-70

BY JIM MOSLEY

In front of 7,303 hostile Longhorn fans, the 14th-ranked Lady Cougars lost 80-70 Saturday night in Austin.

The loss extended the 16-3 Cougars' road losing streak to four games and caused them to fall to 20th place in the polls.

The Lady Cougars, now 5-3 in conference play had four players in double figures; LaShawn Johnson had 16, Margo Graham had 15, Cynthia Jackson had 15 and Michelle Harris had 11.

The Cougars only brought eight players with them to Austin because of injuries which helped contribute to their road woes.

"Voccia Calhoun was in an auto accident," UH Women's Basketball Coach Jessie Kenlaw said. "Sharon Bennett was advised by her doctor not to play."

The Houston Post reported that the Cougars had so few players because of academic problems.

"Our goal is to graduate all our players in four years," Kenlaw said adamantly. "All our players are required to take 15 hours a semester so they can (graduate in four years)."

The Lady Cougars started out slow, only scoring 28 points to the Longhorns' 42 in the first period.

"It (the slow start) was probably because of the big crowd," Kenlaw said. "Every time an opposing crowd is large, we have started slow. If we get to the NCAA tournament, we will play in front of big crowds, so we will have to get used to it.

"We need bigger crowds at home to help motivate the team," Kenlaw added, "especially when 17th-ranked Texas Tech (the conference leader) is here."

In the second half, they out-scored the Longhorns 42 to 38.

UT had five players in double figures.

"Our goal was to keep Nekeshia Henderson (Texas' leading scorer) from beating us, which we did," Kenlaw said. "But their bench played great. They had five players in double figures.

Fay Meeks doubled her average and set a (UT) school record in freethrow shooting, making 16 out of 19 attempts," Kenlaw said.

The Lady Cougars were in foul trouble the whole game.

"We had 12 more fouls than them," Kenlaw said. "Stephanie Edwards and Harris fouled out of the game."

The Lady Cougars will be playing Baylor Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Hofheinz.

"Baylor always plays us competitively," Kenlaw said. "So it will be a good game."