UH LIBRARIES CONTINUE TO SINK AS FUNDING DRIES UP

BY CLAY CARPENTER

Two new reports indicate that the financially crippled UH Libraries have continued to lose ground in both funding and resources compared to most other major research libraries.

An Association of Research Libraries (ARL) report, released Feb. 6, says UH Libraries (M.D. Anderson, Law, Architecture and Art, Pharmacy, Music and Optometry) ranked 106 out of the 107 major research libraries in the country in expenditures in 1990-91.

The 1991-1992 budget is more than $6.65 million, including a one-time $300,000 infusion to prevent cancellation of periodicals, UH Library Committee Chair Don Easterling said.

The average yearly expenditure of each ARL member is about $12 million, he said. "We're basically falling apart," Easterling said.

Another study released this month by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board shows that in 1991-1992, UH Libraries were budgeted 86.3 percent of the amount the board recommended, the lowest percentage of all participating Texas universities.

The University of Texas-Austin, Texas A&M and Texas Tech exceeded 100 percent. The board recommends a different amount for each university and expenditures in past years do not figure into the amount recommended for a given year, Easterling said.

"UT (128.8 percent) and Texas A&M (108.6 percent) are not really like us because they have the PUF (Permanent University Fund). Tech (111.5 percent) and the University of North Texas (99.4 percent) are pretty much in the same boat we are. However, those two universities manage to fund their libraries much better than UH," he said.

The $300,000 journal subscription supplement and an earlier $96,000 supplement have enabled UH Libraries to avoid cancelling subscriptions for the past two years, Easterling said.

But hundreds of cancelled subscriptions between 1984 and 1990 have left gaps in many of the university's journal collections, Easterling said.

The Library Advisory Council is considering using the Moores' one-time $1 million donation to purchase back issues to fill in the holes, said Dana Rooks, assistant director for administration.

"It is a short-term solution," she said.

The current library crisis began in 1984 when the administration stopped increasing library allocations, while the prices of journals and books skyrocketed, Rooks said.

The UH Libraries' budget was $6 million in 1983-1984, and the libraries were ranked 50th by the ARL, Rooks said.

Efforts have been made to augment the budget. A majority of students checked a box on their spring 1991 fee statements to contribute to the library, raising $5,000 to help pay for the new CD-ROM periodicals-on-disk system, Easterling said.

Rooks said she was "shocked" at the student response. "I think the fact that they were willing to do that sent a real signal," she said.

To help the library get back on track, Easterling and Lloyd Jacobson, a student senator from the Graduate School of Social Work, are proposing a $15-per-semester permanent, library-designated fee to be levied only if the administration brings funding up to 100 percent of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's recommendation, Easterling said.

If passed by the SA, the bill would act as an incentive for the administration to bring the funding up to 100 percent of the THECB formula levels.

The proposal will be submitted to the senate later this month, he said.

Rooks said budget changes will be necessary to curb the libraries' decline. Without more help, the university will not be able to boast of strong undergraduate and graduate programs, she said.

"If you come here and you can't find anything to do your research with, you're just going to stop coming," she said.

*******************************************************

ON-CAMPUS JOBS RARE FOR FOREIGN STUDENTS

BY LAURA FLORA LIU

International students claim they are unable to find on-campus jobs because non-work-study positions are so scarce.

"It is really hard to get an on-campus job here because job openings are limited. Many of the on-campus jobs are not advertised to students. Some students get jobs because they have friends or relatives working in that department," computer science graduate student Florence Wong said.

"Many departments prefer to hire students with the same majors, and some students with different majors are turned down even though jobs are available," Wong said.

David Small, assistant vice president for student services at the Career Planning and Placement Center (CPPC), said about 850 jobs are available for work-study students who have financial aid, but only 220 jobs are available for foreign students who cannot apply for work-study.

Small said one frustrated student calls the CPPC four or five times during the semester for an on-campus job, but describes such a case as a concern rather than a complaint by the student.

Many departmental employers prefer to hire work-study students because part of the student's salary is paid by the government, making more of these jobs available, Small said.

"I remember the hardest experience I have ever had was looking for an on-campus job when I was at UH," alumna Grace Lee said. "Each time I applied for a job, they just turned me down and there is no counter-reply."

"With about 3,000 students, the University of Houston ranks 15th (in the international student population). Most (international students) do want to work on campus because it is difficult to get approval to work off campus," Small said.

Jack Burke, director of the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), said the current regulations specify that people holding student visas can do 20 hours of on-campus work a week. During summer breaks, they are allowed to work full-time, he said.

"We are not allowed to work off campus, and most on-campus jobs are given to work-study students who are under financial aid. So, what are we going to do? It is not fair to us," said Iris Wong, a sophomore pre-business major.

Burke said a foreign student seeking employment on campus should go to the ISSS first because there are many sources where on-campus jobs not listed in the CPPC are available.

"Although new regulations were passed to allow foreign students to work off campus, it is a very complicated process. Students must get permission from an advisor in the ISSS before they can work off campus," Burke said.

Small said the bookstore, library and food services hire the most international students.

However, there is no guarantee for the job, and the student may find himself without a job at the end of the semester, Small said. It really depends on the needs of each department, he said.

Most of the jobs at the CPPC do require students to have good command of both written and verbal English, but students possessing other talents, such as computer programming skills, are in demand, Small said. Apart from language skills, typing, filing, data entry, inventory, sales and customer service are also required for some jobs. The average pay is $5 per hour, Small said.

STUDENTS SEEK TEXTS

BY REISHA VIRATA

After three weeks of classes, many students and faculty complain the bookstore has yet to supply some required texts.

Barnes and Noble, in the University Center, said the absence of many texts is not the bookstore's fault.

"The publisher may be the problem because there may be a high demand or a sell-out of books. Sometimes the book goes out of print, out of stock," said Waleed Alhamra, Barnes and Noble textbook manager.

The store orders books according to the number ordered by a professor or department. If the class is larger than expected, the bookstore has to order more books, Alhamra said.

"If a student says they need books that aren't on the shelves, we may order, say, 20 copies and they'll usually arrive within two days.

"Sometimes the process of reordering takes longer because of shipping and certain procedures the publisher must go through in the shipping process. So it may take six to seven working days to get in orders, but normally it's less," Alhamra said.

Nick Westerterp, textbook manager at Rother's Bookstore on Calhoun, said, "If the publisher doesn't have it (the books in stock), if there's no inventory, the order can't be filled. That's a major problem."

Westerterp also said other problems occur when a different instructor teaches a course and changes the books.

Alhamra said late orders from departments or instructors can also be a factor in why books came in late.

"Sometimes a professor will order a book late, but he knows that the students won't need it until later in the course, so there's really no problem there," Alhamra said.

The problem starts, he said, when the professors order late and the students need to use the book for assignments.

"For the spring semester, we ask that orders be put in by Oct. 4. For the summer semester, we ask that orders be put in by early April; for fall, mid-April. Summer does not need to take as long because there is less volume. Fall is the main semester due to incoming freshmen and more enrollment," Alhamra said. "Book orders can come in as late as early January for the spring semester."

Book orders need to be made early so the store will have time for unpacking, shelving and other necessary preparations to have the books ready for students when classes begin, Alhamra said.

Rick Lynch, a junior majoring in political science, said, "I don't have one book I need for my political science course. But the professor said as long as we don't have the book, then we don't need to worry about it because nothing can be done.

"I also need a book for a history course. The professor said he had ordered it late, so he knew that might be a problem. He didn't put it on the syllabus, but he added it on later. But there's no problem there," Lynch said.

Byron Mickens, an employee at Rother's Bookstore, said, "Some students understand that it's not our fault. Some do get upset because they have a lot of homework and they need that certain book.

"We explain the problems -- how we can't always count on a book being in when a publisher says," he said.

History professor Amos Miller said the problem is how to get the publisher to get the books.

Miller has the problem of trying to get a publisher in England to give permission of a copyright release for a book that has gone out of print.

"It seems that as soon as a book is out of print, the publishers are hesitant to give a copyright release of the book.

"I think the problem lies in that publishers are afraid they'll get gypped," he said.

Miller said he needs about nine more copies of a certain book for a class. If he can't get the book, "then we're just out of luck."

French teaching assistant Isabelle Renault said, "In French 1501, we can begin without the workbook, but it's easier with it. But the students can work in the electronic lab without the workbook.

"We've never had this problem before," she said.

In the case of French 1501, Alhamra said, the workbooks still haven't arrived because the publisher doesn't have them available.

WARE BACK TO TAKE CARE OF UNFINISHED BUSINESS

BY RHONDA HECTOR

Andre Ware is back on campus!

After leaving UH two years ago to pursue a career in professional football, Ware has returned to finish his business management degree.

"It feels funny being back," Ware said. "The first day I got out of my car and was walking to class, I actually had butterflies. I thought to myself, `Gosh, I'm just going to class.'"

He was apprehensive not only about being back in school, but also about the reaction he would get from other students.

"It was kinda scary at first, because you never know how people are going to react to you being back, but it's been wonderful," Ware said. "I love going to class and being back here in the college atmosphere."

Returning to college is a goal for Ware, rather than a financial necessity. He needs 18 hours to get his degree and hopes to graduate in the spring of 1993.

"It (graduating from college) is just something I have always wanted to accomplish," Ware said. "Only one other person in my family has graduated from college."

Although he didn't play much last season with the Detroit Lions, Ware has no regrets about his decision to leave college a year early to play professional football.

"I haven't looked back one day since I left and said, `I wish I would have stayed,' Ware said. "That just hasn't happened, and I don't think it ever will."

There were a number of reasons behind his decision to leave early, including wanting to provide for his mother.

"The thing that was really important to me at the time I made the decision to leave was my financial situation with my family," Ware said. "I've always wanted to buy my mother a home."

He did buy a house and a car for his mother, but there were other important reasons behind his leaving.

"From the beginning, I was planning to stay here and finish, but a lot of circumstances took place after that season," Ware said. "My head coach left, and a lot of things were about to happen, so it just felt like it was the right time for me to go and do it (go pro)."

These first two years at Detroit have been a "learning" period, Ware said.

"Quarterbacks in the NFL go through a learning process of two or three years and then start to play," Ware said. "Warren Moon had to go to Canada for six years. Joe Montana didn't play `til his third or fourth year as a regular starter.

"All the great ones had to wait. If that's what it is going to take, then I am willing to sit and learn."

Even though he wants to learn, he feels that he should be given more of a chance to prove himself in Detroit.

"I don't really feel like in Detroit I have gotten a fair shake or a true opportunity to be the quarterback," Ware said. "But they promised me that I would have every opportunity, as well as the other two guys there, to be quarterback. So that's really all you can ask for."

When David Klingler faced the same situation after his junior year, he went to Ware for advice.

"I told him, `No matter what anyone tells you, you're going to be the one to make the decision. I can't tell you to stay or leave. It's got to be what you want to do in your heart, that's where your decision is going to come from,'Ware said.

He said Klingler made the decision that was right for him.

"It was in my heart to pursue professional football at that time," Ware said. "His (Klingler) was to stay and finish to get another year of preparation."

There are many pros and cons to leaving college early to start a professional career in football, Ware said.

"It's always a big risk when you leave school early because you never know where exactly you are going to get drafted," Ware said. "Or you might not get drafted.

"The biggest `pro' through the whole deal is living out a dream. Any male can tell you, if they've grown up watching or playing football, that's their dream, to play professional football."

Ware plans to continue on with the Lions, but hopes for a better shot at being the starting quarterback.

"If I'm in their plans for the future, like they tell me I am, then I am more than happy to go back and continue the learning process," Ware said. "If I'm not, then I would like an opportunity to play somewhere else."

Ware would like it if that "somewhere else" was Houston.

"I would love to come home," Ware said. "It's going to be a perfect situation here in a year or two, when Warren (Moon) retires. I've played for Coach Pardee for three-and-a-half years here (at UH). I love the man, there's no bones about that."

Happy with the way things have gone for him, Ware hopes to continue doing the best that he can.

"A lot has happened really fast in the past three years," Ware said. "But I still have a lot of growing up to do. I'm just taking it one day at a time."

GROWING TREND OF HATE CRIMES DISCUSSED IN NEW LECTURE SERIES

BY CATHERINE COOPER

A cross-cultural UH group will address the nation's rising tide of hate-crime in a series of lectures beginning Thursday.

A hate-crime is defined as a crime committed because of irrational intolerance or hostility toward members of a certain race, religion or group -- any act of humiliation or degradation ranging from name-calling to murder -- toward a member of that group.

Two black men walking down a neighborhood street are gunned down by a group of Hispanic juveniles for no apparent reason.

A homosexual man is pulled into a car by a group of youths who strip off his clothes, rob him and throw him back into the street naked.

A Hispanic man holding his baby is shot in the back by black youths who were targeting him for robbery.

This current trend in criminal activity is creating fear, suspicion and segregation between groups as hate-crimes become a current form of expression.

"It's a territorial thing -- politics of the streets," said Jose Camarillo, a Mexican-American student. "A lot of those feelings they take into adulthood."

The first Black/Brown Rap Session will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday in room 315 Agnes Arnold Hall and includes speakers from the departments of Mexican-American Studies, African-American Studies, Cultural Psychology and Cross-Cultural Communications.

It will focus on the stereotypes that each group has of the other, and will invite discussion among participants after the presentation.

"What we think is that the relationship on campus may parallel the relationship in the community, that is, there is no relationship," said Lorenzo Cano, associate director of Mexican-American Studies.

Yolanda Neimans, a graduate student of cultural psychology who will be presenting the results of her master's thesis on stereotypes, wants people to "think about where their ideas come from, and to challenge those ideas."

"We want to begin a dialogue," Morris Graves, director of African-American studies, said. "We want the students to begin working together in each other's communities here on campus, and to bring it out into the working world."

Graves said he is concerned that the division between blacks and Hispanics was widened after the last mayoral race in which the two groups backed different candidates.

"Blacks may feel that they will not be getting as many of the goodies now that there is not a strong black leader in the city government," Graves said. "We don't want that type of competition."

"The Hispanic voters went with Bob Lanier," Camarillo said. "We tend to lean toward what we think would be better for us, and we felt that we really didn't fit into Turner's picture."

Graves, Cano and Neimans agreed the media plays upon the economic and political fears and competition between the two groups, possibly creating an atmosphere of tension.

"Blacks and Hispanics are minorities struggling for the same jobs and recognition," said Byron Oler, a black journalism post baccalaureate student, "and as long as people can find differences, there is going to be that animosity."

The common goals of the two groups will be important at the university level and on the streets, where the culmination of relations is seen everyday.

Although there are differences, both groups want to work together.

"Any time I talk about stereotypes, I'm hoping to add some increased awareness," Neimans said. "With increased awareness, we can probably change some things."

"To me, it's all a matter of having our leaders get together and talk things through," Camarillo said. "Two minorities are better than one."

"They (Mexican-Americans) are in the same boat we are," Oler said. "If we would join forces, we could turn this world around."

BARRON'S FEATURES FOREIGN FOODS

BY LESTER SAUCIER

Has it been too long since you went to Paris and dined beneath the Eiffel Tower? Or perhaps you desire the spicy flavors of Brazil? If so, don't miss Barron's International Dinner Series.

Barron's restaurant, located in the UH Hilton, offers a different culinary experience each weekday evening. Every aspect of Barron's is changed to represent the evening's featured culture.

This semester-long event is hosted by Barron's and the Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management.

Jeff Graves, the college's director of operations, said the concept for the International Dinner Series was adopted three years ago, and many schools have variations of the program in different cities.

Graves said he enjoys the series because "you never know what you're going to walk into."

A trip down under to Australia was already featured this semester. The waitstaff dressed in rugged, outdoor wear, complete with kangaroos and Australian flags on their crests.

The average price ranges from $12.50 to $17.00, which includes a choice of soup or salad and an entree, Graves said.

Will Creighton, a graduate student and one of the series' teaching assistants, said the theme, cuisine and appearance for the evening is researched by the students. They contact local cultural groups to obtain recipes and appearance guidelines.

"It's great fun working with all the various ethnic cultures and groups within Houston," he said.

HRM senior Dana Deserberg said the students enjoy the class so much that they usually take it their last semester prior to graduating.

The series is an entirely student-run operation and is required for graduation.

Creighton said a different class runs the restaurant each night of the week. These classes run the same night of the week for the entire semester.

Each student works a different position each week -- waitstaff, host, service manager, etc. The rotations allow students to gain practical experience in all facets of restaurant management.

Creighton said the teaching assistants take the role of "owner." The program tries to set up as real a situation as possible.

The students submit formats for menus, uniforms and any other special order items to be approved by the particular evening's managers, he said. The teaching assistant then gives final approval for any appropriated funds.

"The TAs keep things within the budget, act as a liaison between the community and students and offer guidance to the students in food preparation and method, as well as service technique," he said.

The students are not restricted in their thematic concepts as long as they are in good taste.

"Barron's is a `real, profit-driven restaurant' open to the public," Creighton said.

The students only receive pooled tips for their services, not wages. However, teachers continually evaluate their performance. Their ability to effectively run and operate all aspects of a restaurant determines their grade.

Creighton wants his students to have a good, relaxed and enjoyable time. "It is a lot of work for the students to pull the meal, service and theme together," he said.

Creighton's class recently hosted a tribute-to-Hungary dinner. Other recent themes featured dishes from New Orleans and France.

GLOBE-TROTTING BALLOON FLYERS WILL BRING A UH HILTON RETREAT

BY MARTY PESKIN

When circling the globe for 20 days in a hot-air balloon, careful food preparation is a necessity.

If weather permits, the Earthwinds Hilton Project will launch today in Akron, Ohio, carrying food specifically coordinated by the UH Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management.

HRM faculty and students developed, prepared, tested and packaged the meals for the three aeronauts traveling on the Earthwinds.

The double-decker helium balloon is an unusual design, which will allow the aeronauts to travel in a cabin stationed between two balloons.

"When we first started to plan the meals, we wanted them to be a typical Hilton hotel meal," said Nancy Graves, a registered dietician and assistant professor at the college.

HRM Dean Joseph Cioch said Barron Hilton, chair and president of Hilton Hotels Corp., called and asked Cioch if the college would be interested in preparing the food for the project.

"When Barron Hilton called me, I was very pleased to be involved with this project," Cioch said. "The students really enjoyed working on it."

The three aeronauts are attempting to be the first to circle the globe non-stop in a balloon. Part of their flight will include studies of the ozone layer.

The meals were planned for two 10-day cycles, Graves said. There was a weight limit of 200 pounds for the food, which made it very difficult.

Darrell Gerdes, an assistant professor at the college, directed the project.

Gerdes said eight students in the college ate only the specified foods designed for the aeronauts. The students, four male and four female, tested the meal plan for such things as quality and quantity, Gerdes said.

"We asked the students to stay on the menu and record any outside items that they might normally have, like beer, cokes and pizza," Gerdes said. "They were very good about that."

The students who tested the food rejected two of the meals on the original plan, Gerdes said.

The cost for all of the food totaled $400 and was paid for by the Hilton Corp., Gerdes said.

A few of the items the aeronauts will be dining on are bagels and oatmeal for breakfast, peanut butter for lunch and beef forestiere for dinner, Gerdes said.

"Some of the obstacles we had to deal with were not having a conventional heating system, no refrigeration and producing a balanced diet," Gerdes said.

In addition, Gerdes said, they had to overcome such things as project captain Larry Newman's lactose intolerance.

The UH Hilton College has been working on the project since early September, and the launch date was originally scheduled for Thanksgiving. Due to improper weather conditions, the flight was postponed until today.

"I thought it was fun to be involved with. You don't get that chance all the time," freshman HRM major and project participant Carrie Leeper said.

STUDENT ACTIVISM GATHERING SUPPORT IN '90S

BY COUGAR NEWS SERVICES

The winds of change can be felt on American campuses, say student and political leaders who contend that old-fashioned activism is growing among students frustrated about social issues.

While 1960s demonstrations concentrated on the Vietnam War, the 1990s are seeing students organizing around a far wider range of causes.

Protection of the environment is the hottest issue, followed by racism, women's issues, AIDS, Native Americans' rights, pro-life/pro-choice, apartheid and gay-lesbian rights.

"I believe that activism deals with the root of the problem, while service volunteerism deals with the symptom -- and you need both," said Tajel Shah, president of the U.S. Student Association in Washington, D.C., the oldest and largest student-run political organization in the United States.

Today's new breed of activist is informed, educated and not fueled by emotion, student leaders say.

And there is a distinction between service volunteerism, also a trend on campuses today, and hard-core activism, where students are prepared to make a greater personal sacrifice, if necessary, for their beliefs.

South African divestment stirred the ire of student activists in the 1980s, and their outcry was heard throughout the country.

Since the release of Nelson Mandela, the African National Congress leader, and the lifting of apartheid laws in South Africa, much of the uproar over universities investing in companies doing business in South Africa has fizzled.

The shanty towns constructed by student activists are gone, and in some cases, universities are quietly re-examining divestment policies. Students also cite the recession for declining interest in South Africa.

Most activists say they prefer to work within the system, such as the USSA. Others state that, if necessary, they will use non-violent sit-ins, demonstrations and other acts of civil disobedience to make their point.

"Students are not apathetic. They are mobilizing on more and more issues," said Shah, whose organization lobbies Congress on student-related issues from tuition to curriculum reform. "We work within the system."

Shah, on leave from Rutgers University, said she will always be a political activist and admits having a talent for organizing social change efforts. "Education is a right for making a better society," she said.

Some activist groups report a sharp rise in student interest since the Persian Gulf War, publicized incidents of racial and ethnic violence, and the ongoing economic ills suffered by their colleges and universities.

"Students are experiencing having classes cut and (they are) increasingly making the connection to military spending, which will be $291 billion in 1992, and they are saying, `Let's take the money out of there,'" said Bruce Gagnon, who organizes students for the Florida Coalition for Peace and Justice.

"I predict peaceful demonstrations over military spending on campuses," he said.

"Activism tends to be a way of life, a willingness to do things, to sacrifice yourself. Many people are willing to get arrested to do what they believe in," said Blair Palese, a Greenpeace spokeswoman, who said students comprise a large number in the international environmental group.

Greenpeace, whose policy is non-violence and "direct action" such as blocking shipments of nuclear waste or hanging protest banners on bridges, has attracted thousands of students since the environment has become the most popular issue on campuses. U.S. membership is 1.8 million.

Palese said students have an "understanding of protecting the environment and atmosphere" from nuclear hazards and toxic waste because they are "without a lot of economic ties."

"They get involved at an age where they believe they can make a difference," she said.

One student group, the Progressive Student Network, said there is a link between social ills found on college campuses.

"We are fighting racism, sexism, heterosexism, militarism. There is a root cause that needs to change before these can change," said Kim Peicke, national office coordinator of PSN, a 25-campus organization that includes UH and organizes demonstrations and sit-ins to make a public statement.

Feicke says there are six new campuses with PSN offices since the Persian Gulf War.

"We bring in speakers, show films and sponsor discussions about these issues. We give out literature, too," said Feicke, who added that there currently is a concern about the activities of white supremacy groups since former Klansman David Duke's recent bid for Louisiana governor.

"I think volunteerism can be a way to get rid of the guilt. Activism is something you commit your life to. It is much more of a commitment," said Brooke Webster, a former Eastern Illinois University student.

Webster is a student organizer for CISPES (Citizens in Solidarity for the People of El Salvador).

STUDENTS SCRAPE BOTTOM OF BARREL FOR POSTS

BY DESIKAN HARISH

The job search is on, keeping graduating students on their toes like never before. The grim realities of the corporate world unfold as the economy takes a nose dive, threatening to gulp thousands of jobs in the process.

Unemployment presently pushes the envelope at 7.1 percent on a perennial upswing. "Perhaps the worst period in two decades," said David Small, assistant vice president for student services at the UH Career Planning and Placement Center (CPPC).

The CPPC has been catering to the needs of American and international students alike in the employment drive. Foreign student enrollment touched 2,202 last semester, 6.5 percent of total student enrollment.

A report fron the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) puts the graduate student population on top of the list with a growth rate of 35.2 percent.

This state of affairs called for a strategy to create an awareness of global prospects for job applicants, in terms of employment as well as careers. "A concept of a changing world and globalization of resources," Small said.

It is in the context that a brochure "The International Job Search," put together by CPPC career counselor Coralie Somers, assumes significance

An endeavor aimed at easing the situation arising from saturation of the local job market, this new brochure is packed with information for three target groups: Students of U.S. origin planning on international employment/careers and the foreign student aspiring for an opening in the United States or in their homeland.

According to Michael Brzezinski, counselor at the ISSS, primarily the National Association for Student Affairs (NAFSA) promotes the cause of local talent being sent abroad.

This trend is likely to change if the bulletin board of foreign employment at the CPPC is to be believed.

A wise distribution represents the opportunities abounding in several fields all over the world.

The updating of this data occurs every fortnight with input coming from a central agency based at the University of Illinois.

International students are in a predicament as the market situation borders on the doldrums. Stemming the stagnation by attending practical training sessions, internships and coop programs have been the modus operandi for a long time.

Regulations regarding foreign student employmeny have changed in a bid to accommodate their interests, ISSS Associate Director Anita Gaines said.

Small said resuscitation of the domestic economy proves to be a time-consuming procedure, requiring job seekers to broaden their perspective and discover the international angle.

Though the picture painted is murky, opportunities do crop up in every field, with computer science, engineering, natural sciences and mathemetics hogging the limelight.

The number of firms visiting the campus has dropped to 218 from 264 in the period between Fall 1990 and 1991, manifesting the need to consider the option of going foreign.

Prospective employers have found UH graduates acceptable to their norms, though they cite apprehension about verbal ability, communication skills and the lack of research on the list of the concerns.

A new high of 11,000 students called on the CPPC during the last semester.

OPTOMETRY TRIP OFFERS EYE CARE TO INDIGENT

BY RHONDA HECTOR

Optometry professor Norman Bailey is blazing clear trails for the visually impaired in poor countries.

He recently returned from Guatemala where he journeyed with members of the Lion's Club from across the nation to provide much-needed vision screening and eyeglasses to those who can't afford it.

"We (Houston-Area Lion's Club) bought a used ambulance and had the maintenance done on it so it could make the trip," Bailey said.

Richard Uzzell, a member of the Hempstead-Area Lion's Club, drove the ambulance on the seven-day trip to Quezaltenango, Guatemala.

"It was a long trip, but it was definitely worth it," he said. "Seeing the faces of the people when they got glasses, after not being able to see for so long, was miraculous."

A caravan of 13 vehicles, including ambulances, vans and a fire truck, drove from as far as Indiana to Guatemala carrying medical supplies, about 8,000 pairs of used eye glasses, clothing and toys to be distributed to the people.

Over a three-day period, the 40 volunteers distributed more than 1,800 pairs of glasses.

"We got there at 8 o'clock in the morning and people were lined up for two or three city blocks waiting for us," Bailey said. "They were very appreciative since they could not afford glasses from the normal sources."

The people were all warm and friendly, Uzzell said, but they were in awe of the technology.

"We took very updated automated refractors with us." Bailey said. "But the conditions under which we were working were very limited, since it was a makeshift clinical setting."

All of the vehicles were left in Guatemala to be given to communities that neede a way to transport people in need of emergency care.

"There is a lot of need out there, not just in Guatemala but everywhere," Bailey said. "I feel that inrecent times, we have too often turned to government to help those in need. We have a responsibility as citizens to volunteer time to help others."

Health care professionals must do these types of services for the public, College of Optometry interim Dean Jerald Strickland said.

"We encourage it (trips to help the needy)" Strickland said. "That has been a mission of the college for many years."

Optometry faculty and students have been to Panama, Mexico, Central America and the Texas Valley to provide vision care for the underprivileged.