ALUMNI AND ATHLETES TO BE NEIGHBORS; TREES SAFE

BY CROSBY KING

The proposed alumni center and the new athletic building will likely share some of the same facilities, say sources close to the project.
Stan Dinion, a UH alumnus working with the athletic department, said the project will probably involve two distinct buildings sharing certain parts, such as an auditorium and a hall of honor. He said they probably would also share the same power facilities.
Calling the idea "an economy of scale," Dinion said the two buildings may also use a common entry corridor and a space for a souvenir shop.
He said the projects would probably supplant the baseball diamond and tennis courts, which would be relocated.
"It will be a good focal point for the University of Houston, in that most visitors will want to come to these facilities," he said. "I think it will be a very big attraction."
The project's advisory group won't make a final recommendation to the Board of Regents for at least six weeks, Dinion said.
He said the students who protested the tree removal last semester acted prematurely.
"The trees will stay," he said. "We're very sensitive to that issue."
Pleas Doyle, the project's chief architect, said the facilities' designers never considered taking out trees. He said they will be built "way back in the corner" where the trees are more sparse.
He added the project would take about a year to complete after groundbreaking.
LeRoy Melcher, the primary benefactor behind the alumni center's construction, said the combination of the two buildings was proposed as a "second thought."
"They've got to be compatible," he said. "One uses the other."

*******************************************************

TORNADO RIPS UP LOT 13A; FLIPS ONE CAR, DAMAGES TWO

BY KATHY ALLEN

UH felt the brunt of bad weather when a tornado skipped across campus around 4:15 p.m. Wednesday.
UHPD Assistant Chief Frank Cempa said no one reported any injuries, but the tornado tossed a car onto two other cars in parking lot 13A, next to the Heyne Building.
Albert Ransom, an RTV junior, who was walking toward lot 13A from the Health Center, saw the funnel cloud, which he described as a long, thin spiral, start to descend when it passed over the Cambridge Oaks Apartments. It angled through an empty, wooded lot until it hovered about 12 feet above the parking lot and then touched down.
Ransom said a man, who was on the sidewalk bordering the parking lot, "looked like Mary Poppins as the wind picked him up with his umbrella. The man threw down his umbrella and ran into the Roy Cullen building."
Nikki Hunter, a mechanical engineering sophomore, said she saw the funnel from her Quadrangle dorm room in Taub Hall.
"I could feel the wind on the windows. The sky was a dark gray," Hunter said.
"I saw the white cloud spinning, and it picked the car up. The car stayed in the air for like a second," Hunter said. Then the car flipped upside-down on top of two other cars.
Hazel Guillory, who owns the flipped-over Datsun 200SX, delayed leaving her office in Ezekiel Cullen for about 15 minutes because it was raining.
"All of a sudden, I heard this wind, and I got under my desk because I could tell it was a tornado because of the sound. And everyone was laughing at me," Guillory said.
After the sound died down, she headed for the parking lot and heard that a 200SX had flipped over, but she didn't believe it was her car until she arrived at the lot and saw it.
"That car was a jewel of a honey. There wasn't anything wrong with it," she said.
The 200SX landed on top of cars owned by Tia English, director of the Texas Center for University Partnerships, and Janice Gray, a secretary in the College of Education. Gray received her car as a birthday present last July.
From the parking lot, the funnel traveled across campus toward Melcher Hall. Chris Kelley, a junior accounting major, was sitting in the UC Underground near the pyramid windows when he saw tree branches slapping around.
"I heard all the air swooshing out of the building," Kelley said.
He walked out to find large green clouds overhead. When he looked toward Interstate 45, he saw low-lying black clouds swirling rapidly.
Mike Cotter, a second-year law student, said the Law Center's "light fixtures started rattling violently, and the doors blew open."
The Physical Plant, Fleming Building, Fine Arts Building, Hoffman Hall, Band Annex and the UC Satellite lost power as a result of the storm, Cempa said.
Other reports indicated that an apartment complex at the corner of Dumble and Lombardy lost a large portion of its roof, and roof damage was sustained by 150 to 250 homes near that complex.
In addition, several thousand area homes lost power after a transformer was knocked out.

LACROSSE TEAM BEGINS SEASON

BY JIM MOSLEY

UH's lacrosse team beat the Brazoria County team 13-8, in a pre-season game Saturday in Angleton.
Kevin Pickett scored five goals and John Donnely scored two, with two assists.
The UH team's performance was a credit to the game's inventors -- native Americans.
"Lacrosse was started in the 1400s," UH Lacrosse Team Captain Chris Inouye said. "It was a war-training exercise used by the Indians and played on a mile-long field."
The game has been compared to hockey, which it resembles in some ways.
"The best way to describe lacrosse is hockey in three dimensions with nonstop action," Inouye said. "The ball is passed with a stick, which has a net on its head called a lacrosse."
Lacrosse is a sport that requires full-body contact.
"There is full contact within 5 yards of the ball," Inouye said. "But everyone wears a helmet and pads."
Ten players compete in four 15 minute quarters on a 110 yard by 60 yard field, Inouye said. Three defensemen, three midfielders, three attackmen and a goalie who protects a 6 feet by 6 feet net, comprise a team, Inouye added.
The new Brazoria County Lacrosse team couldn't overcome their lack of experience.
In the first quarter, UH lead 4-0, Inouye said. Then they lost their shut-out in the second when Brazoria County scored two goals to UH's three.
At the start of the second half, Brazoria County scored six goals to UH's two making the score 9-8 at the end of the third quarter, Inouye said. In the final quarter, UH's experience showed through when the team scored four times to Brazoria County's none and won the game 13-8.
At 1 p.m. this Saturday the UH lacrosse team opens its season against LSU behind Hofheinz on the intramural field.
"LSU has a good team," Inouye said. "It should be a real good game."
Anyone intrested in lacrosse should call Chris at 523-8785.
The UH rugby team will be playing the Southwest Texas team Saturday at 2 p.m. in San Marcos. For more information call 685-1765.

4,500 VISIT WOMEN'S CLINIC IN HEALTH CENTER YEARLY

BY DENISE SALAZAR

Birth control is the most common reason for visiting the Women's Clinic at the UH Health Center, nurse practitioner and clinic Manager Susan Leitner Prihoda said.
"Nearly 4,500 patient visits are made each year," Prihoda said. "I would like to see more women using the clinic if the demand is there."
Nurse Practitioner Julie Lindenberg added, "Many women fear getting pregnant and come here to get birth control. They also come here because it is so inexpensive."
A female student who asked not to be identified said she uses the Health Center for birth control because it's economical.
In the past, she said she paid $15 per month for birth control pills until she called the Health Center and found out they were only $6 there. She immediately transferred her prescription.
Prihoda said Texas law states that any student, regardless of age, can receive birth control without parental consent.
"Once students enter a university, they become liberated minors," she said.
Lindenberg said the average age of her patients is 26, but said they range from 17 to 68. She said she sees 20 to 30 patients each day.
She also said there is a three-week waiting period for routine annual appointments.
Prihoda said they also do Pap smears and pregnancy tests for nominal charges.
A routine screening involves taking blood pressure, measuring weight, recording family and personal history and giving a physical exam, Prihoda said. The routine exam is $15 and Pap smears are $9 extra, she said.
"You don't have to be sexually active to have a Pap smear," she said. "We recommend it to any woman over 18. All records are confidential."
Another female student who wished to remain anonymous, so her parents wouldn't learn she is sexually active, said she had a pregnancy test at the clinic.
"The pregnancy tests at drug stores were all over $17 and weren't 100 percent accurate," she said. "A urinalysis pregnancy test cost me only $10 (at the UH clinic), and I didn't have to worry about inaccurate results or anyone finding out."
Prihoda said couples can come in and just ask questions.
"We counsel partners, and lots of them do come in," she said. "We won't talk just to the boyfriend or husband about their partner unless either their partner is present, or we have their partner's written consent."
Dr. Billie Jean Smith, director of the Health Center, said she is proud of what the center can do on its limited resources.
"We get no assistance from the university or state," she said. "We pay for everything. We don't have `sugar daddies' like the Moores."

ROTC CADETS PUSH TO FIND THEIR SKILLS, SHORTCOMINGS

BY ADAM KING

Stamina. Guts. Teamwork. "Be all that you can be" has been the Army's slogan, and students in the ROTC hold true to that tradition.
Sixty-five students are participating in the Reserve Officers' Training Corps program at UH this semester to study the skills it takes to become an officer in the United States Army.
"I like to get down in the mud and get dirty," Cadet Sgt. 3rd Class Dawn Levack said.
"I like it (the ROTC program)," said Cadet Amanda "Andi" Shanley, who is here on a three-year ROTC scholarship.
"It pushes me to the limit. I want to see what I can, or what I can't do."
The "limit" is three to five hours of physical training a week, a two-hour leadership lab and up to three hours of class lab.
Class time is spent learning skills such as small-unit tactics, command and staff procedures, battle analysis, marksmanship using an M-16 rifle, first aid and military history.
"The department's goal is to provide the Army with commissioned officers that are committed to excellence," said Lt. Col. Robert Shaffer, head of the UH-ROTC.
Shaffer said that is exactly what the department has done. Since 1989, 50 cadets from UH have entered the U.S. Army as second lieutenants even though enrollment has dropped 40 percent in the last two years due to budgetary constraints, and 14 more are expected to be commissioned in 1992.
An excellent cadet is "well-educated, versatile, physically fit, morally upright and dedicated to the defense of our country," Shaffer said.
Chief Advent Sgt. Tommy Armour said "quality, not quanity" is what the ROTC program is interested in.
The program, though, is not just limited to students whose goal is to enter the Army. A student enrolled at UH may take any of the non-advanced classes up to the third year.
"I'd recommend the basic course if for no other reason than an unusual way to satisfy the P.E. requirement," Shaffer said. "A lot of these students come into the program with no intention of continuing on to their third year. Our best students are involved in other activities than just ROTC."
Those who do go on must sign a contract stating upon graduation they will become an officer in the U.S. Army. They receive a subsistance allowance of $100 a month.
Fourteen students in ROTC are on scholarship and receive the allowance plus fully paid tuition and $225 per semester for book money. All of the money is paid by the federal government.
Shaffer said more and more women take advantage of the program due in part to the increased awareness the Gulf War provided about the important role of women in the armed forces. Women comprise about 23 percent of the cadets in the program.
"Twenty years ago, there were only nurses and WACs," Shaffer said. "For (the Army) now, (women in the service) is not a big deal anymore. They are as dedicated, intelligent and resourceful as any of the men."
When asked if he thought women's duties should include combat, Shaffer replied, "Should Congress decide to expand the role of women, the country would not be disappointed."
Recently, the Texas A&M ROTC was the center of media attention when a female cadet accused fellow male cadets of sexual harassment. She retracted her accusations, but to many people, the damage had already been done.
"It does not surprise me that sexism exists there (at A&M)," said Cadet Sgt. 1st Class Lisa Vinson, a junior at UH. "The people here and the officers here are very supportive."
Cadet Staff Sgt. Don Nguyen agrees. "I read about it. It's not fair. Everybody here is the same color -- green."

TRANSFERRING CREDITS FROM OTHER COLLEGES NOW EASIER

BY CROSBY KING

Transfer students from community colleges will soon find it easier to bring their course credits with them to UH.
On Jan. 31, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), adopted a rule to ease problems with transferring credit for similar courses. The new system affects lower-level classes at Texas' 35 public universities.
The adopted regulations should clean up complications caused by the variety of conditions under which students try to transfer credit.
Institutions must now identify courses that are substantially equivalent to those offered at community colleges, and they must let those courses apply towards baccalaureate degrees.
Bill Jobe, director of academic affairs at universities for THECB, said students would benefit the most from the new law, because accessibility of classes is important to a person's higher education.
"The pieces are coming together for an efficient and freer method of transfer," he said.
The THECB will penalize institutions for non-compliance. If the state finds students retaking equivalent courses, it will withhold funding generated by the repeated credit hours.
Jobe said pressure from the public would keep universities from disobeying the regulations.
"It's not only a financial penalty," he said, "but it's a question of reputation, image and attending to business."
Dean of Admissions Wayne Sigler said the new rules would not significantly affect UH, because the university regularly informs area colleges about common courses.
He said UH also operates an orientation program for transfer students, clarifying the specific course requirements of each department.
"We've already met the spirit of the rules," Sigler said, "and we are on the way, possibly not that far, from satisfying all the rules. We've worked very hard to take out surprises in the transfer system."
Shirley Ezell, associate vice president for academic programs, said UH has a history of cooperation with community colleges.
She said the only problems with transferring credit might be in different prerequisites for similar courses.
Ezell said complications are generally worked out by the various departments and colleges, and by the transfer evaluation office.
She said UH would carefully follow the guidelines of the new regulations.
The rules apply only to freshman and sophomore classes, and the university may deny credit transfer in courses with a grade of "D."

DAYTIME CURFEW CHALLENGE ENDS IN FORTIFICATION

BY REBECCA MCPHAIL

Juveniles 18 and under should take a little more care when they leave the house from now on.
A recent attempt to do away with the daytime curfew failed as City Council members urged Police Chief Elizabeth Watson to strengthen the enforcement of the ordinance.
Councilwoman Christin Hartung helped lead the move to strengthen the curfew.
Hartung disagreed with the daytime curfew after listening to Chief Watson address the council last Wednesday on the enforcement difficulties of the ordinance.
"She (Hartung) was led to believe, by Police Chief Watson, that there were a lot of complicated issues in terms of enforcing the curfew," Senior Council Aide Holly Montalbano said.
The curfew affects those juveniles 18 and under between the hours of 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and midnight to 6 a.m.
In an attempt to confirm Watson's beliefs, Hartung decided to poll school and law enforcement officials to find thier views on the curfew. "Most people had very definite, forceful opinions about it," said Montalbano.
"Everyone thinks the night time curfew is a good idea," Montalbano said. "But there were mixed opinions on the daytime curfew."
Montalbano said the curfew is not being enforced. But a lot of people believe it is, and this belief is enough to curb the behavior of many juveniles, he said.
In fact, since the curfew was passed last October, not one juvenile has been cited in violation of the ordinance.
Spokeswoman for Police Chief Watson, Myra Jolivet, said the lack of citings is part of the "education phase" of the ordinance.
Juveniles in violation of the ordinance were stopped by police and informed of the curfew. The violators were allowed to leave with only a warning, Jolivet said.
City Council, unhappy with the lack of enforcement, recommended that police officers begin issuing citations to the offenders.
Jolivet admits the daytime ordinance is more difficult to enforce. "Logistically, there are a lot of factors involved in the daytime ordinance," she said.
The difficulties include schools which let seniors out early, juveniles who have dropped out of school and students who are involved in work-study programs, Jolivet said.
"We need to set up some sort of organization of these approved leaves," Jolivet said.
According to Montalbano, Spring Branch School District dealt with these problems already. "It's a simple matter of issuing identification in conjunction with those programs," she said.
Although not happy with the curfew, few local high school students have been affected by it.
Clear Lake High School senior, Simone Kik, is involved in an early release program at her high school. "I haven't had any problems, myself," she said.
However, Kik is not a fan of the ordinance. "It punishes good kids," she said, "and the bad ones will stay out anyway."