GETTING SPANISH CLASS TOUGHER THAN PASSING

BY AUDRA MUHS

Some UH students play musical chairs when they try to register for Spanish classes.

During Spring 1992 registration, 488 students tried to sign up for the introductory Spanish 1501 course, but only 180 spaces were available, Dennis Parle, chairman of the Hispanic and Classical Languages department, said.

Because of limited funding, upper-level Spanish classes are funded first. Students taking Spanish 2301 or Spanish 2302 who priority registered got the classes they wanted. But funding for 1501 was limited. That's why 308 students couldn't get the classes they wanted, Parle said.

"Faced with limited resources, this is the only logical thing we could do to try and handle the situation," Parle said.

At the beginning of priority add-drop, there was room in 1502, 2301 and 2302, but 1501 was closed, Parle said.

When students register, classes are assigned in descending order from senior down to freshman level. So a freshman probably won't be able to get into Spanish 1501 classes.

Although students try numerous times to get into 1501, they usually have to wait until they are juniors or seniors before they get into the beginning class.

"If they haven't started Spanish classes by the beginning of their junior year, students worry they won't be able to finish four semesters of Spanish by graduation," Parle said.

Karen Covington, a senior journalism major, said she signed up for the beginning Spanish class twice before she got in. She is taking Spanish 1502 this semester.

At the end of this semester, she will have completed all the requirements for her degree except the language requirement. Because she did not get into classes at the beginning of her junior year, she will have to attend UH an additional year to finish up her Spanish classes.

"It is just ridiculous that students can't get in classes they need to graduate," Covington said.

Other options are available to students who want to take Spanish 1501, Parle said. Students can take it at another college, such as Houston Community College, then priority register for 1502 at UH.

"This is not the way we like to do it. We would rather have them here in 1501, working with our teachers and our textbooks. But confronted with limited resources and being realistic as to the students' needs, we don't have any other choice but to tell them if they can get in anywhere, take it," Parle said.

Ron Mohring, secretary for the Hispanic and Classical Languages department, said a student can take the same course with the same books and sometimes the same faculty at Houston Community College.

Students with Spanish backgrounds or who have taken some Spanish in high school can take a test and place out of the beginning classes.

Or, students can hire a private tutor, and then take the placement test, Parle said.

A tutor with Houston Scholastic Services said it cost $28 an hour for a Spanish tutor.

"Spanish is a more practical language for this area of the country. This should be a program available to any student who wants it," Mohring said.

If students want more Spanish classes, Parle advises them to contact the Student Association at the University Center and work with them to try to get adequate funding for UH Spanish classes.

*******************************************************

UH RUGBY TEAM EYES DIVISION-ONE ACCREDITATION

BY JIM MOSLEY

With great pride and strong tradition, the UH rugby team will receive its division-one accreditation in spring 1993.

"When we have all undergraduates (on the team), then we will have collegiate eligibility," UH rugby President Ron Gall said.

"Once we have it, we will win the Texas Rugby Union (title)."

The UH rugby team has been in existence for 10 years. "We've been around since the early 80s," Gall said. "Currently, we have 20 members."

Rugby football has its roots in 19th-century soccer.

Rugby was started in 1823 when William Ellis, a student at Rugby College in England, picked up the ball and ran with it during a soccer game because he couldn't kick it, Gall said.

Through the years, rugby has developed into what we know it as today.

"It has two 40-minute halves with 15 players on each side and is played on a 100 (meter) by 69 meter field," Gall said.

"Injuries are the only time-outs allowed. Then this injury time has to be made up at the end of the game."

Once a player is in the game, he has to play the whole half.

"There are no substitutions in rugby," Gall said. "Injury substitutions are the only ones allowed."

Goals are called trys and are worth four points.

"A try is scored when a player physically places the ball over the try line (goal line)," Gall said. "After a try, the team scoring gets to attempt a two-point kick, which must go through the goal post."

There are also penalty goals, and you can still drop-kick for points.

"A penalty goal counts three points and must go through the goal post," Gall said. "A player can also score a goal with an old-fashioned drop-kick (when a player drops the ball on the ground and then kicks it through the uprights), scoring three points."

Many people play rugby for exercise.

"It's good exercise and challenging," freshman and UH rugby player Chris Reader said. "I've played on both the UH soccer team and cross-country team, and I like rugby."

The average player can run as much as three miles per game, Gall said.

Rugby, unlike football, has no forward pass.

"All passing is behind the back," Gall said. "This keeps continual play because if it falls, anyone can pick it up and run or kick it."

The scrum, which looks like a huddle with eight players on each side pushing against one another, is used to restart the game after an infraction.

"The scrum is like a face-off," Gall said. "The object is to kick the ball to the backs so they can advance the ball."

The scrum is the most dangerous part of rugby, especially when a player grounds the ball, and the scrum forms around the ball, which his body covers.

"Most injuries come from being stepped on under the scrum," Reader said. "It is not a fun place to be."

However, rugby is not as dangerous as many people think.

"It is not as dangerous as football," UH post-baccalaureate student and rugby player James Morgan said. "I played college football, and there is no blind-siding in rugby. The only body contact is around the ball."

Players are penalized if someone is tackled above the neck, Gall said.

Rugby is rich with tradition.

"After each game, the host team throws a keg party," Morgan said. "The loser of a game is required to give three cheers to the winner, but the winner always gives three cheers to the loser."

"It is tradition to have a few (beers) after a game," UH junior and rugby player Bill Beck said. "This is where you can talk to them (opposing players), and songs are sung."

It is also tradition that players refer to the official as "sir," Gall said. The UH rugby team will be playing its next home game on Feb. 29 against Texas A & M at 2 p.m. behind Hofheinz.

For further information, call the UH rugby news hotline at 685-1765.

SURVEY FINDS LIBERAL VIEWS RISING IN COLLEGE FRESHMAN

BY COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

More students entering college today consider themselves politically liberal or far left than they have since 1977, a recent study showed.

The gradual shift in the political tendencies of college freshmen was attributed partly to disenchantment with the Republican administrations of President Bush and Ronald Reagan.

The 26th annual survey of college freshmen was conducted by the Higher Education Research Institute at the University of California at Los Angeles in conjunction with the American Council on Education.

When Reagan first took office in 1981, more incoming freshman labeled themselves conservative than liberal. But in 1991, 25.7 percent of more than 210,000 freshman described themselves as liberal or far left. The highest percentage ever recorded was in 1971, with 38.1 percent.

The survey also showed that 20.3 percent of the 1991 freshmen described themselves as conservative or far right, while 54 percent said their politics were middle-of-the-road.

However, it remains uncertain whether those numbers will have any tangible effect on the 1992 elections.

"It doesn't mean anything if we can't translate it into votes," said Jim Desler, assistant press secretary for the Democratic National Committee in Washington. He added, "It does give us more reason to target college students."

The statistics from the survey administered at 431 colleges and universities can be deceiving, however.

"The meanings of liberal and conservative have changed over time," Eric Dey, associate director of the survey said.

Despite an overall shift toward liberalism, students tend to be more conservative today on law-and-order issues. As an example, Dey noted that there has been more and more support for the death penalty among young people.

In other survey findings, support for a national health care plan reached an all-time high in 1991, with about 76 percent agreeing that such a plan was needed.

Optimism also seems to be rising. In the 1991 survey, fewer freshmen said they believed "an individual can do little to bring about changes in our society." Only 31.3 percent now believe that, compared with 47.9 percent in 1975.

With the changing times in Eastern Europe and former Soviet Union, Dey said "people are more optimistic that change can occur and that they can be a part of it."

Incoming freshmen also are showing more interest in different professions. Student interest in business-related majors declined to 18.1 percent, compared with 21.1 percent in 1990, and a high of 27.3 percent in 1987.

In addition, only 15.6 percent indicated they plan to pursue a career in some field of business. Interest in law degrees fell as well, declining for the third consecutive year, to 4.4 percent from a 5 percent high in 1988.

The career trend among freshmen is the medical profession, where interest hit its highest point since 1976, with 6.9 percent indicating a desire to become doctors.

"During the '60s, students were more altruistic than materialistic...In the '70s and '80s, that switched. Materialism hasn't receded, but we've seen a resurgence of altruism," Dey said. "Students want high-paying jobs, and at the same time, they want to help people out."

Other results obtained from the survey include:

Interest in teaching careers held steady at about 9 percent.

The percentage of students who selected their freshman colleges on the basis of low tuition jumped to 27.7 percent this year compared to 23.4 percent in 1990.

The number of freshman who said they will have to get a job to pay college expenses increased for the second straight year to 37.5 percent.

The percentage of incoming freshmen who frequently smoke cigarettes increaseed to 11.3 percent, after declining by nearly half between 1966 and 1987.

However, fewer students frequently, or even occasionally, drink beer, with the number at its lowest level since 1970 at 57.3 percent.

Interest in doctoral degrees skyrocketed to a new high of 12.5 percent.

The numbers of students who reported that their inability to find a job was a "very important" reason for attending college reached its highest point since 1982, at 7.3 percent.

ARCH STUDENTS MAKE BEER FLOAT

BY AMEY MAZUREK

In step with the bubbly atmosphere, 15 UH architecture students have constructed a Mardi Gras float using 7,500 empty Miller Lite beer cans.

The students received the cans from Miller Breweries last week to weave together a Mardi Gras float for this Saturday's Momus Grand Night Parade.

"We thought we might have to buy some cases of beer and drink it all to get the cans," Lee Cisneros, a senior architecture student said.

Based on a sculpture by Miralda from Barcelona, four white limousines will drag 1,000 to 1,200 Miller Lite cans, each resembling a torch. The cans will form a flame, 25 feet by 12 feet. The piece is titled "Just Married Sound Torches."

"It's going to take about 170 hours total," architecture senior Joe Ruzier said, describing the amount of time needed to assemble the cans. The construction of the float is taking place in the Trolley Barn in Galveston.

Cliff Amos, public relations representative for Miller Breweries in Milwaukee, said donating the cans required a carefully orchestrated effort.

"We went through the process of putting lids and seals on the cans without putting in the beer. It was a special order that was done by hand. The cans were monitored and handled individually to make sure no empty cans went in the market."

"The cumulative total of the cost to Miller -- our lost line time and salaries -- was more than $2,000. There was a lot of coordination time involved. For example, hand-stacking and hand-loading the cans took about six hours," Amos said.

COLLEGE STUDENTS SLACK OFF, UH PROFESSORS SAY

BY KATHY ALLEN

The average student appears to be losing ground academically, according to some UH professors.

All of the professors who were interviewed for this story agreed the top 10 percent of students at UH are as good as they've ever been. But they see a decline in the work produced by the average student.

Hugh Hudson, professor of physics, who has taught at UH for 30 years, said "It's hard to say that it's a major decline," but he finds a growing number in the middle who are not as well prepared analytically or psychologically as they once were.

Many freshmen can't solve word problems, and they become angry when they find they are expected to know trigonometry and algebra for his introductory physics class, Hudson said.

A growing number of students don't have an "intellectual work ethic," and they aren't trained to study, he said.

Hudson, who is president of the Texas chapter of the American Association of Physics

Teachers, said "we're seeing this (problem) all across the state."

Extra classroom support could help these students, Hudson said. The UH physics tutoring lab, which is open only eight hours a week, pales in comparison to the support found at Rice or the University of Texas, he said.

Gerhard Paskusz, professor of electrical engineering, who has taught at UH since 1961, said the majority of students don't work as hard and expect professors to spoon-feed information to them.

"I look at some of the old tests that I gave students in the '60s, and the kinds of problems on those tests were tougher than what I give them today," he said.

Eugene Decker, associate professor of French, who has taught for 24 years, also sees a decline.

"In second-semester French 20 years ago, we required that students write a 10-page research paper in French. We could not do that today," he said.

Decker theorized that because of the heavier use of television for obtaining information, students have more difficulty dealing in abstract concepts, such as the printed word.

He also criticized the university for emphasizing research at the expense of teaching. For example, first-year classes used to be limited to 15 students. Today, first-year classes hold 40 or more students, Decker said.

But the lack of emphasis on teaching at the university level also affects the high school level, he said.

"When the universities lower their standards, high schools lower theirs," Decker said.

James Younglove, professor of mathematics, who has taught at UH since 1958, sees the reason for this phenomenon in a different light.

"Colleges have been pictured to the American public as a cure-all, and, in the meantime, that vast level of middle jobs that did not require a college degree are disappearing," Younglove said.

As a result, people who may not have chosen college 20 years ago are doing so today.

"I see a lot of students who don't have the foggiest idea of how to study," Younglove said.

Also, full-time jobs and long commutes further compound the problem for UH students, he said.

Professors who teach honors students, though, offer a sharp contrast in their assessments of students.

John Bernard, associate professor of English, has taught mostly honors students at UH for the last 12 years.

They are "getting better and better. I just don't see this deterioration in preparation," Bernard said.

The average SAT score for first-time college freshmen was 1,011 in 1970. After it dipped to 921 in 1975, it steadily rose to 978 in 1990.

BARRIERS DISCOURAGING WOMEN FROM DEGREES IN MATHEMATICS

BY PAULA NAST

Claudia Henrion is concerned.

Henrion, a professor of mathematics at Middlebury College in Vermont, spoke at UH last Thursday to voice her concerns about women and mathematics.

"Forty-six percent of undergraduate math majors are women. So, women want to do math," said Henrion, who earned her undergraduate degree from Stanford and graduate degree from Dartmouth.

But then the numbers get smaller.

"Twenty-five percent get their doctorates in math, and less than 6 percent of women are tenured faculty."

Henrion, who teaches logic, set theory, calculus and the history of math, became interested in the lack of women in mathematics when she tried finding books about them.

"I found two," she said. "I think the reason we know about so few women is because, one, very often women did not use their real names when they published their work, or they used initials, and two, very often, they did joint work with their husbands and the male name was the one that got cited."

Henrion believes there are several factors contributing to the dearth of women in professorial and graduate positions in universities.

"There used to be a saying in the 19th century: `As the

brain develops, the ovaries shrivel," she said.

Henrion said there are few role models for women in the field.

"There are hardly any female professors of mathematics," she said.

She says the study of math, as it is constructed now, can be a very isolating discipline, but it is even more isolating for women because they look around and see next to no one they can identify with.

Henrion also feels that the present academic structures or track for graduate studies in mathematics is too rigid.

Henrion said some women get into math quite late because they try to accommodate personal issues, such as having children or caring for dependent adults. Or, they may find their paths blocked by their colleagues not

taking them seriously because they are women.

"Math is seen as all or none. You're supposed to sacrifice everything for it, or you're not seen as serious."

Traditionally, Henrion said, it was acceptable for men to immerse themselves in a career. If they were married, the wife took care of the children, the cooking, the cleaning. This allowed the man to devote all his attention to his studies.

She would like to see some changes in the present academic system to make a career in math more viable for women.

Henrion said she would like to see multiple entry points and reentry points into mathematics. This would allow older women, who took time off to raise their families, to come back and finish their degrees.

Henrion said she would also like to see part-time options, an optional extension of tenure clock, support systems such as day care, flexible teaching schedules and a change in attitude in the mathematics community.

Henrion says these options would allow people to have children and yet not lose touch with their professions.

Henrion says there is this myth that a person's best work is done while they are young.

"This is not true. Several women did some of their best work later in life."

Henrion knows about this firsthand. She is writing a book about women in mathematics.

"All of these women had different stories, but there was a common theme."

They all found someone that encouraged them to continue their pursuit of mathematics, she said.

"To be successful, you have to be protected by a patron or mentor. And you need to establish a support network for yourself, so when you get down or discouraged, you have some people to turn to."

PLAYHOUSE TIES FOR FIRST

BY RHONDA HECTOR

Students from the College of Technology represented UH last weekend in the Greater Home Builders Association (GHBA) Playhouse Building Contest at the Texas Home and Garden Show.

Held at the George R. Brown Convention Center, the students competed against Texas A & M and Northeast Louisiana University. The UH team tied with A & M for first place.

The 16 UH participants, all members of the student group Students in Construction Related Industries (SCRI), built the playhouse from the ground up in a two-day period. The building began at 8 a.m. last Friday morning and lasted until early Sunday afternoon.

The schools were each given the same materials in order to build their playhouses.

"The only difference is that we're allowed to choose what kind of siding, what color paint we want and things like that," John Vurpillat, a senior construction management major, said.

The students designed the playhouse with many things in mind.

"One of our main criteria is that we try to make it fun," Vurpillat said.

The houses were judged Sunday afternoon based on design, time, creativity, quality and efficient use of materials. Then, the houses were auctioned off to the highest bidder.

The money from the sale of the playhouses goes directly to a scholarship fund for students at the College of Technology. Last year, the students raised over $3,300. This year they raised $1,900.

"Last year, we issued 20 book scholarships and used part of the funds to build a reference library in our (SCRI) office," Vurpillat said.

Michael Thomas Estate Homes sponsored the UH team and put up $1,000 for their use. Big Tin Barn, founder of the event, donated the building materials used by all three colleges.

"We like to do a lot of fund raising, plus the students get to see what construction in the real world is like," Barre Bernhardt, salesman for Big Tin Barn, said.

The GHBA has held the competition for three years and because of its success, it's considering moving it to a national level.

"We really feel like this is a worthwhile project," Susan Anderson of GHBA said. "We want to support our future builders."

FUMES FROM E. CULLEN FIRE SPRING WORKER'S COMP CLAIMS

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

While many E. Cullen workers still suffer from headaches and other symptoms, four staffers filed workers' compensation claims last week after reporting health problems resulting from the residual fumes in the building.

Linda Laxton, the human resources representative on campus who coordinates workers' compensation claims for UH-University Park, said, "We've had four people file some workers' comp claims, and we've filed these with the attorney general's office."

Laxton said the attorney general would have to make a final decision as to whether the claims would be covered. The insurance adjuster for the cases, Martha Garza, couldn't be reached for comment.

The day after the Jan. 28 fire, employees working on the first floor were told to report back to the building for work. Many complained about the intense and disgusting smell left by the fire and by the end of the day, many complained of having a number of symptoms they related to the ambient fumes.

Luz Guerra, administrative assistant to Vice President Elwyn Lee, said a combination of "the contaminants in the air" and the fact that the windows in her office don't open gave everyone in her office some discomfort.

"People in my office were not sick just prior to the fire, and by the time I got home (on the first day employees were let back into the building), I had a terrible headache, and my throat was burning," Guerra said.

Guerra said she later developed severe chest congestion while her other symptoms worsened. Guerra said the noxious fumes forced people in her office to prop their single door open and caused a receptionist in the office to throw up.

Last week, Guerra went to the UH Health Center for treatment and received a prescription for her discomforts. She said she filed for workers' compensation to cover the cost of the visit and the medication, and a few days later, she felt fine.

After the fire, Vice President Lee's other assistant, Kay Osmon, developed symptoms so severe she had to leave work for two days.

When Osmon started feeling bad after the fire, she went to the UH Health Clinic, filing her examination costs under workers' compensation.

Despite the prescription given to her, she says her condition worsened, and she was told she would have to wait for permission to visit the UH Health Center from the Texas Attorney General's Office. She decided she couldn't wait.

Osmon said her doctor reported her condition had developed into sinusitis and bronchitis. Afterwards, UH paid for the $35-visit and filled the expensive prescription her private doctor had given her. Osmon stayed home two days and said she feels better, but not fully recovered.

Osmon said while her doctor couldn't absolutely confirm her condition was caused by the fire's fumes, there was no doubt in his mind, and that it was unconscionable that workers were sent back into the building to work in such an environment. Osmon agreed.

Fire and Physical Safety Manager Bob Bowden, who was directly involved in the decision to send the workers back to the building on the day after, couldn't be reached for comment on his decision.

Director of Physical and Environmental Safety Tim Ryan said, "We don't say an area is 100 percent safe or 100 percent risky. Basically, what we look at is the area as safe as possible; is it acceptably safe?"

Ryan said he has full confidence in Bowden's decisions, citing his more than 20 years experience as a senior captain in the Houston Fire Department.

Since the fire, workers returning to other floors still experience headaches, and reconstruction crews have made attempts to remove or mask the smell.

Renee Block, assistant director of real estate and risk management, said, "In trying to eliminate the smoke smell, they sprayed a cherry aroma that's probably more irritating than the fumigation process."

Guerra said, "In the hall, it still smells, but in the office, it's okay. Nowadays, it kind of smells like a car wash. You know, heavily perfumed."

EACH YEAR MORE FOREIGN STUDENTS EYE U.S. DEGREE

BY COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

Last year, more than 400,000 foreign students, many convinced by college recruiters that an American education is a prized commodity, enrolled at U.S. colleges and universities.

With a nationwide gain of 5.3 percent in foreign students, U.S. education officials predict the half-million mark for enrollment isn't far away, and some say the number could double or triple in the next decade.

While some colleges aggressively recruit foreign students to add cultural diversity to their campuses, others are interested in boosting enrollment in a sagging economy.

"I would say there has been an explosive growth (in foreign students) in the past 10 years, and it hasn't leveled off," said Paul Crippen, of J. Paul Crippen Associates of Philadelphia, a consultant to a number of colleges and universities.

I think the reason is because the Asian countries rely heavily on us for training in engineering and technology," said Crippen, who predicts the number of foreign students will triple within a decade.

Despite its intense growth, the foreign student market is still a fraction of the total U.S. college population of 14 million.

In 1991, 65.7 percent of foreign students enrolled in public schools and 34.3 percent in private schools, according to the Institute of International Education. in the overall college student population, 80.3 percent of the students are enrolled in public schools, and 19.7 percent in private institutions.

The reasons for the heavy recruiting, which began in the early '80s and is still going strong, are varied: A declining pool of traditional 18-year-old students, the desire of U.S. colleges to teach a global perspective, and the fact that most foreign students pay full-tuition rates.

Many colleges reserve all financial aid for their American students, insisting that foreign students or their governments pay full tuition. Even Christian colleges, which traditionally waived tuition for students from other countries, are having to drop the practice because of the economy.

As early as 1974, a handful of colleges participated in overseas "college fairs." Now one recruiter estimates "hundreds" of U.S. colleges and universities are represented abroad.

Today, professional overseas tours comprised of recruiting officers from as many as 15 to 20 colleges and universities - usually to the Far East - are not uncommon. (Asians make up 56 percent of the foreign students in U.S. schools.)

For example, Consultants for Educational Resources and Research, a Washington, D.C., firm, led admissions officials from 15 colleges and universities last fall on a swing through Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, and Taipei.

"Not only do we attend the large college fairs in the Orient, we are the only group that goes to the Carribbean Islands also," said Pat Kelly, vice president of CERR. Kelly notes that Asian students can usually pay for their tuition, while Carribbean students cannot.

If a Carribbean student desires a higher education, he or she has no choice other than to leave his or her island because of the lack of schools there, Kelly said.

Kelly said organized recruiting abroad has been successful practice for "about a dozen years" and, with the exception of the Ivy League schools, individual colleges will join a tour to save money, rather than sending one recruiter alone.

"Tours are fairly expensive-about three weeks for $7,000 to $10,000. Because of the economic crunch, some schools have stopped sending people," said Kelly, who notes that recruiters can see at least 200 students in one day at some of the Hong Kong fairs.

Some do not agree with this approach.

Crippen, a veteran of many trips abroad, is critical of what he calls "imposing college fairs on the Far East."

"You can't just go over there and set up a table with your wares. You need to knowq how to work the Far East. You need to know how to understand Asian mentality."

Crippen emphasizes personal contacts, introducing college officials to educational attachees at the embassies of Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, and Indonesia. When recruiting officers leave for month-long recruiting trips, Crippen makes certain they have appointments with government officials, headmasters, and counselors on those nations.

Recruiters also learn the basics of Asian protocol from Crippen, who teaches them courtesies such as not drinking tea when it is served (a sign that the meeting is over.)

" I don't think you'll see many state schools on those tours," said Joseph Allen, dean of admissions at the UNiversity of California at Santa Cruz who notes that his school does not suffer from dwindling enrollment and that taxpayers would not be happy supporting foreign tours.

UCSC does have, however, an exchange program with several foreign universities and accepts many full-tuition foreign students every year.

According to officials, Chinese and Japanese students generally study the physical sciences, while Europeans, whose first choice until recently was to obtain an engineering degree, now covet an American MBA.

"Most people come for the language. It will help them advance in their careers," said Marina Phi Zikopoulos, director of research at the Institute of International Education.

"The Japanese come as exchange students, or come to colleges that have been taken over by the Japanese. They are here because of the greater demand for higher education than (Japan) has to offer," she said.

While the number of European students coming to the U.S. has increased by 7.8 percent since last year, "East Europeans will not come in hordes because of lack of money," she said.

At Clark University in Worcester, Mass., the increase in first-year international students has been remarkable. In 1990, 10 percent of the class came from overseas and that figure rose to 20 percent in 1991.

Overall, Clark's proportion of undergraduate and graduate students from other countries has risen from 12 percent in 1990 to 14 percent in 1991.

Ibrahim Al-Sultan, director of international students at Ohio Northern University in Ada, Ohio, travels throughout the world to woo international students to this rural school. In the three years he has been recruiting, ONU has increased foreign students from 10 in 1988 to 80 in 1991.

VIOLENT HIT-AND-RUN SUSPECT ARRESTED BY UHPD AFTER MELEE

BY TINA MCDONALD

A 22-year-old male was arrested last Thursday in Lot 16E and charged with aggravated assault on a peace officer after he struck a UHPD sergeant, policce officials said.

Lt. Brad Wigtil said the suspect, Thurman Williams, struck Sgt. Colonel LaMunyon in the left eye as LaMunyon and three other UHPD officials attempted to arrest Williams.

At 12:15 p.m., Officer Larry Adams said he approached Williams' car, a 1984 red Mercedes-Benz, in Lot 16E because it fit the description of a vehicle wanted in a hit-and-run accident on campus a week ago.

"When I ran the license plate, I knew we had the right car. I didn't know if the driver was actually the person who committed the hit-and-run, so I called for back-up. There was a warrant out for the owner of the car in Fort Bend for injury to a child," Adams said.

Adams said Williams told him he had no identification on him and then lied repeatedly about his identity and birthdate.

Adams said Williams' driver's license was later found on the ground.

While attempting to arrest Williams for failure to identify, Williams resisted and fought with UHPD personnel, Adams said.

"He grabbed me in a headlock, pulled another sergeant by the tie, tried to bite a lieutenant while getting in the patrol car and hit LaMunyon in the eye," Adams said.

Instead of just getting charged with failure to identify or failure to stop, both Class-B misdemeanors, Williams was charged with a third-degree felony for assaulting a peace officer, Wigtil said.

Williams had to be put in shackles to prevent him from inflicting injury to UHPD officials or himself, Wigtil said.

Afterward, UHPD transferred Williams to the Harris County Jail where his bail was set at $2,000. Williams is currently in jail awaiting his Feb. 28 indictment for the felony charge, a District Court 263 official said.

"The average punishment for this type of felony is two to 10 years in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and/or a fine not exceeding $10,000. It depends on the judge and the suspect's past criminal record," Wigtil said.

"Campus police work can be very challenging. This was an example of good police work," Wigtil said.

BASEBALL NOTEBOOK

BY MARTY HAJOVSKY

Sometimes the baseball gods love you, and sometimes they hate you.

It's not clear just what the Houston Cougars have done to deserve divine enmity, but one thing's for sure: It must have been pretty big.

Texas A & M swept UH in three close games this weekend, including two one-run heartbreakers in a twilight doubleheader on Saturday.

Twice the Coogs blew late leads to the Aggies, who capitalized on bullpen breakdowns and throwing errors to take all three games 5-2, 3-2 and 5-4.

On Friday, it was a battle of lefties, as junior Jeff Haas matched his "slurve" pitch against the hard heat of Aggie Olympic hopeful Jeff Granger.

Haas' pitch, a combination of a curve and slider, was snapping pretty good as the Aggies did their best Jack Nicklaus impersonations, repeatedly swinging at low pitches in the dirt.

It was good enough for six innings as UH established a 2-1 lead.

The southpaw transfer from Indiana State finally tired in an error-plagued seventh as a three-run Aggie rally chased him from the mound. A & M added one more in the eighth for the win.

"I've got to get to where I can go nine innings," Haas said. He's averaged a paltry 4.4 innings pitched in six appearances this year and a 3.27 ERA.

It was in Saturday's games when the losses began to take on supernatural proportions.

Wade Williams hurled a sterling, seven-inning effort despite making an early-morning trip from Longview, where his father had undergone a heart angioplasty to clear up blockage in an artery.

Trailing 2-1 in the top of the seventh, the Coogs tied the game on a Greyson Liles triple and a Ricky Freeman RBI single. A & M reliever James Nix was then the beneficiary of what was possibly the defensive play of the series.

After Nix got Scott Kohler to line out to shallow right field, Joe Betters singled with a shot to third baseman Travis Williams. A stretched-out Williams just managed to keep the ball in the infield, preventing Freeman from scoring. Chris Tremie then popped up to end the UH threat.

Williams' play may have saved the game for the Aggies, who scored an unearned run on two hits and a throwing error from shortstop R. D. Long in the bottom of the inning for the win.

"This was a tough loss," Head Coach Bragg Stockton said after the first game. "Wade pitched a heck of a ballgame. I was proud of us coming back in the seventh, but it wasn't enough."

As tough as the first one was, Saturday's nightcap was an even tougher loss to swallow. Once again, UH was victimized by its main nemesis this season, the big inning.

Cougar starter Jeff Wright followed in his teammate's footsteps, pitching well for six and a third innings. But, like his teammates, he saw it all evaporate, as A & M exploded for three in the seventh to win the game 5-4.

After giving up a lead-off single to designated hitter Billy Harlan, Wright was pitching to A & M switch hitter Mike Hickey. With a 1-1 count, Stockton had apparently seen enough, lifting Wright for Friday night starter Haas.

Hickey, a much better hitter from the right side, tagged the lefty Haas for a double. Two RBI singles later, Haas was gone. The winning run came in when Jason Hart walked first-game hero Travis Williams with the bases loaded on a questionable ball four.

This last cruel twist had taken its toll on the demoralized Cougars, who seemed dazed as Nix came on for the final two innings to notch his second one-run win of the day.

After the sweep, a clearly crestfallen Stockton could only sit on the bench and stare at the darkened infield.

"I just don't have much to say," Stockton commiserated. "We hit the ball hard. We played good defense. We're just in a rut that we can't seem to get out of."

The baseball gods, ever capricious, had claimed yet one more victim.

UH'S BURRELL GOING AFTER SPANISH GOLD

BY KEITH ROLLINS

The saga began in 1984 when a 17-year-old high school sprinter from Pennsylvania named Leroy Burrell watched in awe as Carl Lewis won four gold medals in the Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.

"Everyone looked up to Carl because he was the best, and I said `Gosh, I wish I could run that fast,' and I did," Burrell said.

Burrell, a UH alumnus, is now 25 years old, an accomplished world-class athlete and one of few men ever to beat Lewis in the 100 meters. The record between them through nine races stands at five wins for Burrell and four for Lewis.

Burrell doesn't mind the attention but does not use Carl's presence in a race as a motivational tool.

"I'm always pretty confident and optimistic as far as competing is concerned. It really doesn't matter if Carl is there or not," Burrell said. "You let your guard down once, you can lose to anyone. It happens to all of us."

The '92 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain, will be the first for Burrell. In retrospect, the upcoming games will mark the third and last competition for Lewis. Some reporters have labeled the transition between the two athletes as "the passing of the torch."

"They may call it that, but I really don't see it that way," Burrell said.

"Carl and I will probably be one and two, and I don't think when that happens, there is any passing of a torch involved. I think I'm in the medal hunt, and I'm going to make that dream come true."

Burrell, who has been deemed the working-class sprinter by the press, does account some of his success to his good friend and business partner Lewis.

"Every amateur sport needs a vanguard, someone to chop down the trees and pave the way for others. Carl took all the heat," Burrell said.

"Now I get to stroll leisurely through and that has been a benefit that has helped quite a bit. The money increase is due to Carl," he said.

Burrell not only has made enough money from track so that working in the future is optional, but it "has allowed me to get an education (he lacks only nine hours for an RTV degree), travel all over the world, meet a lot of people and do many things people my age don't really have a chance to do."

Burrell, like Lewis, competes in Europe on a regular basis as a member of the Santa Monica Track Club. In the upcoming Olympics, he will compete in the 100m, 200m and the 4 x 100m relay, the same as Lewis.

And, like Lewis, he also trains in Robertson Stadium and is coached by UH track Head Coach Tom Tellez and his staff.

Because of their similarities on the track, it is hard to pick a favorite for the Olympics.

"I got to a point where I was doing better than Carl on one day, and he is doing better than me on another. It will depend on who has the better day," Burrell said. "We both know that each other is beatable."

Because of his hectic schedule, Burrell spends a lot of time out of town. However, when he is here, he serves as an assistant to Tellez and attends Cougar football, basketball and baseball games.

"I like to stay involved in the university, I feel like part of the community," Burrell said. "When I'm at home, I'm always at the games. I really enjoy cheering for UH, it's my school."

Burrell knows he would not be where he is today without the guidance of Coach Tellez.

"He's the best coach in the world. He knows the sport better than anyone. He lets you know what you need to know," Burrell said. "He keeps you on track, and that's why the great athletes are here and others wish they were here."

CANADIAN FOCUSES ISSUES BY WALKING TO BRAZIL

BY RHONDA HECTOR

He's walking from Canada to Brazil.

Canadian Paul Colman, 35, left on his journey a year ago and is now somewhere in Mexico. His plans are to make it to Brazil in time for the "Earth Summit."

"He's (Coleman) doing this to draw attention to the disappearing forests," Curt Clemenson, executive director of the Houston Area Rainforest Action Group, said.

The first-ever "Earth Summit," to be held in Brazil this summer, will bring the world's leaders together to discuss such issues as toxic waste disposal, global warming, the greenhouse effect and poverty.

"I imagine that the destruction of the rain forests and the global warming problem will be high on the agenda at the summit," Victor Mote, associate professor of geography and Russian studies in the political science department, said.

The National Wildlife Federation (NWF) organized a nationally televised conference to provide people with expert opinions on environmental and economic issues before the summit.

Forty colleges across the country were linked to the teleconference, which aired on Feb. 12. The program featured interviews with experts on environmental issues and was followed by a question-and-answer period, where viewers could call in with their questions.

At the end of the program, viewers were asked to write letters to President Bush, asking him to attend the July conference.

"This is a chance for the president to show some environmental leadership by going to Brazil and by signing agreements that bind the nations of the world to actions like reducing greenhouse gases and ending international traffic of toxic wastes," Chris Darling, NWF teleconference coordinator, said.

Others are not optimistic that the Bush administration will even take part in the summit.

"The Bush administration is fighting signing things, like world treaties to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, because they think it will hurt our economy," Clemenson said.

"I don't think they're going to do shit down there, to be honest," Clemenson said. "I think there's a lot of countries that are going to go there and do their damnedest to make a change. But the United States is not going to be a leader in environmental issues."