MASTER OF THE BLUES

BY GARY SAPONE

It's not easy being the king of the blues, but B. B. King is still going strong.

The King closed a five-night stint at Rockefeller's on Saturday with two sold-out shows. When it all came down, he proved he still has what it takes to be on top.

After the band warmed up with a couple of tunes, King came out and "Let the Good Times Roll" with a red-hot rendition of the familiar tune.

From that moment on, he revealed a plethora of emotions, letting the audience feel the sweat dripping from his face, or bask in the warmth of his smile, sometimes all in the space of a song.

He doesn't just play the blues, he feels them. Although he's a man who could easily rest on the laurels of his fame, he still gives it his all, and it shows.

His powerful voice can still bellow out the blues with burning precision. His guitar work seems to be expanding all the time, hinting at many varied influences other than his own trademark sound. It takes work to stay on top, and work is one word he is not afraid of.

The band, which was nothing short of fabulous, was right on top of things from the start of the show. From the sharp horn punches accentuating the rhythm, to the searing leads and solos, every move was in perfect synchronization.

The most important thing about King is that he doesn't forget the base of his popularity. As the autograph-happy fans lined the stage door and out into the club, one of the security people came back and proclaimed, "Fans first, friends and family later."

King met with all of the fans who cared to wait outside, giving away pictures and signing autographs, even though he still had another show to do. King put his fans first, and that is sheer dedication. In a time of many phonies and fakes, here is one man who definitely deserves his place at the top.

*******************************************************

DREADED VIRUS RARE ON CAMPUS

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

While the latest computer-virus scare worries many off-campus IBM computer users, the damaging program has only been detected in one campus computer and none of the open-access computing sites.

In April 1991, computer scientists at the University of Karlsruhe in Germany, detected this new computer virus and named it Michelangelo. Only 10 months since its discovery, it has spread rapidly across the globe, even infecting supposedly safe, new, factory software and hardware.

The virus, affecting only IBM-DOS systems, replicates itself in a computer's memory when an infected program is used on that computer. It takes up valuable memory space, causing damage to information stored there.

However, the final blow comes on March 6, 1992, which, according to the program, is the virus's official start-up date.

On March 6, the birthday of the Renaissance painter it is named for, the virus starts actively crashing computer memories and destroying information.

Shafique Pappa, associate director for UH's Research and Instruction Computing Services, said, "We've had our bouts with it."

Pappa said his office detected the virus in a staff worker's computer in the College of Business Administration four weeks ago and disinfected the system. He also said the infected unit was not connected with the business school's networked computers.

Pappa said he used the latest version of McAfee Associates' virus detection and disinfection software to ferret out the Michelangelo virus and that McAfee's is the only one he found that can do the job.

Pappa said the business school insures the integrity of its network of IBMs and the start-up disks they check out, but individual work stations can become infected.

However, the work stations can't infect the network and are completely powered down each day, destroying, daily, any virus program present in the work station.

"We really haven't had a problem with virus security.

"We'll never be able to get rid of viruses completely. If someone figures out a way to do that, they'll be rich," Pappa said, adding students pass infected programs back and forth frequently.

"Whenever a student has a problem with a disk, the first thing I do is scan it (for viruses). Students often blame problems they have printing homework on viruses, but the problem really isn't that bad," he said.

Retha Brown, assistant manager at the University Center's Cougar Byte computer store, said that because of the virus's newness and rapid spread, people at her store are still gathering information on how to combat it.

"We have contacted our IBM representatives and are waiting to hear back from them. We know its (the virus) symptoms and have had some suggestions on how to prevent infection. We are also trying to get detection and disinfection software," she said.

Brown said no one has reported problems with the products sold at her store.

"What we always tell our customers is, `back up your data.' We want to tell them things to minimize their potential time loss and work loss," she said.

Glen Fischer, manager of Academic Technical Services, which oversees all the academic-use mainframe computers on campus, said those systems would not be affected because they use a different operating system software from IBMs.

Central Site Computing Facilities Supervisor James Ye said the software on his systems is safe and he has had no virus problems, but students bring in infected disks from time to time.

Ye said he keeps his system virus-free by not allowing anyone to save data onto the central computer's memory and scanning all software he installs on the system for viruses.

BLACK HISTORY TRAVESTY

BY GRAM GEMOETS

If you're looking for a reason to celebrate the joys of Black History Month, the Alley Theater's Miss Evers' Boys is not for you.

The play is based on the infamous "Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male." Miss Evers' Boys chronicles a 40-year experiment in which black syphilitics were denied medication so doctors could study the disease's effects.

Medical treatment for black sharecroppers in rural Georgia was unheard of in the 1930s. So when Nurse Evers (Constance Jones) shows up, four syphilitics think it is their lucky day.

Little do they know they are part of a monstrous experiment headed by Dr. John Douglas (John Fletch). Douglas has cleverly convinced Evers to take part in his experiment of untreated syphilis.

What Evers didn't count on was becoming friends with her patients.

The men are so fond of their nurse, they name their dance act after her: Miss Evers' Boys. She, in turn, escorts them to dance competitions.

Willie (Russell Andrews), Hodman (Akin Babatunde), Caleb (Alex Morris) and Ben (Jim Ponds) become very attached to Evers. Without realizing her charade, the four undergo grueling medical experiments, allowing Douglas to monitor their ever-worsening conditions.

As to be expected with advancing syphilis, their health rapidly declines.

With each new ailment, Evers soothes them with more deceit. It is not until too late that they realize their plight.

Miss Evers' Boys describes one of the most horrifying violations of public trust in American history. Before the experiment was exposed in 1972, more than 400 rural blacks suffered incurable blindness, insanity and death.

The people used for experiments are supposed to be volunteers. Miss Evers' Boys are far from volunteers.

Instead of truth, the men are duped into becoming guinea pigs and treated with little more than aspirin and tonic water injections.

For any black historian, Miss Evers' Boys is a harsh reality check.

Miss Evers' Boys runs through March 15 on the Alley's large stage. Ticket prices are $10 to $31. Student tickets may be purchased with a valid ID.

UH STUDENT REGENT REALLY A `SHADOW'

BY CLAY CARPENTER

Confusion over the legitimacy of the UH student regent position has jeopardized the viability of the post.

The position, filled in September by senior Mark McKillop, was created by the Students' Association last April to act as a liaison between the student body and the UH Board of Regents. McKillop replaced Veena Sardana, UH's first elected student regent.

Since then, McKillop has attended the board meetings but has only communicated with the regents cursorily, he said.

"They're courteous, but in the way a Foley's manager is courteous," he said.

The regents hold short public meetings and then exclude him from their long executive sessions and private meetings to discuss financial and personnel matters, he said.

Since the student regent is not appointed by the governor, he is not entitled to the rights and responsibilities of a full regent, SA President Michael Berry said.

McKillop said that although he is not officially a regent, he should be admitted into the executive sessions.

"I guess there are things that require a certain amount of secrecy, but I don't have a history of opening my mouth," he said.

Regent Vidal Martinez said the board has not been aware of McKillop's presence at the meetings. "I've never met him, and he's not at the table with the Board of Regents," he said.

McKillop's title is misleading, Martinez said. "There has not been any formal appointment that I know of. He's not a regent," he said.

McKillop's title might more accurately be "shadow regent," Berry said. The student regent position, which pays $266 per month, originated last April when the SA anticipated legislation that would officially create student regents for all Texas university systems, Berry said.

A student regent bill introduced to the Texas Legislature was defeated because of a controversial child-care amendment attached to it, Berry said. He said the bill will resurface in the next legislative session and thinks it will be passed.

Despite the bill's failure, the SA decided to keep the student regent position so students would have some form of representation on the board. "The shadow student regent has no legal entitlement to vote or for (be present in) executive sessions.

Legally, they're not bound to let him in. However, they have the privilege to invite anyone into executive sessions that they so choose," Berry said.

Gov. Ann Richards formally recognized McKillop as student regent in January in a letter to UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett. In the letter, Richards

said she hoped the regents would consider McKillop's opinions when voting.

"I'm so new to the job that I really

don't know about that situation," acting President James Pickering said.

The student regent is seen by the regents as a threat, Berry said. "I prefer they see the student as an assistant to them. When they realize what an asset this person can be, that's when he will benefit the students, regents and the university community."

McKillop is not so optimistic. "I think the position should be dropped if it's going to be continued along the same lines. There's nothing being accomplished by it. It's a waste of effort," he said.

UH is the only Texas university with any kind of student regent, but several other Texas schools plan to follow UH's lead next year, Berry said.

U.S. BORDER PATROL PROBED AFTER HARASSMENT INCIDENT

BY FRANK SAN MIGUEL

Retired U.S. Air Force Maj. Wayne L. Warner has initiated a self-financed campaign to document citizen abuses by the U.S. Border Patrol.

The investigation started after a Border Patrol incident hit home, Warner said.

Warner's son, Gary, 33, was stopped more than 10 times during his travels through Texas, Arizona and New Mexico. Only twice did agents ask permission before searching Gary's automobile or body, Warner said.

"The thing that struck my son the most," Warner said, "was the utter attitude of arrogance held by the guards, as if they could treat people any way they pleased."

Questioning, insults and degradation were also part of his son's experience, Warner said.

"He was asked irrelevant questions like, `Who's your mother?' 'Who's your father?' Warner said. "When guards at one checkpoint found out that he was receiving Social Security benefits, they started laughing at him. At another checkpoint, one woman started smelling his dirty underwear bag."

Warner said the searches themselves were inadequate.

"The most bizarre thing was that the guards searched the back of the car only," Warner said. "My son keeps two guns in the front. Had he been a drug runner, those would've been some dead guards."

In searching for drugs, no dogs or electronics were used, Warner said.

Upon his son's return to North Carolina, Warner said he launched a letter-writing campaign to campus newspapers in the Southwest as well as to Immigration and Naturalization Service officials in Washington, D.C.

"I started a search to find out if this is widespread or not," he said. "Maybe this was an isolated case, but we need to find out if we're having problems.

"I sent 132 letters out to the student press as well as to D.C.," he said. "I just wanted to do something. Writing to bureaucrats may get you nothing, but trying to get testimonials from American citizens may get some notice."

Thus far, however, Warner admits his call has garnered little attention and no responses. "Maybe with more attention focused on it, we'll be able to get the word out," Warner said.

Despite the investigation, Warner said he is tough on issues like drugs.

"My feeling is that if they (American citizens) are guilty of running drugs, they ought to be shot, but all citizens should be treated with dignity and respect," Warner said. "We lost the war in Vietnam, and we'll lose the war against drugs and aliens because of a lack of public support."

Bullying tactics by Border Patrol agents only serve to turn Americans against them, Warner said. "The thing that bothers me the most is that these agents are completely alienating American citizens in the name of the war on drugs or on immigrants," he said. "Instead, they're making our people allies of the drug dealers."

Created in 1924, the Border Patrol is the enforcement branch of the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Its jurisdiction is divided into 21 geographical areas called sectors.

In 1986, the Immigration Reform and Control Act allocated more financial and technological resources to implement new immigration laws and to increase the number of agents by 50 percent. Drug Interdiction became an official duty of the Border Patrol with the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1986.

In 1987 alone, the Border Patrol investigated 18.5 million people, although only one million arrests were made for illegal entry or other immigration violations. In 1985, the Border Patrol checked less than 14 million and made 1.3 million arrests.

Spokespeople for the American Friends Service Committee, whose Immigration Law Enforcement Monitoring Project documents Border Patrol abuses, said the organization has a new report forthcoming on recent abuses.

The committee's past findings include 377 cases of human and civil rights violations from 1988 to 1989 with a minimum of 813 direct victims of abuse. Categories in which the most abuse was documented include physical abuse, denial of due process, explanation of rights and property seizure.

One 1987 study by the committee found that the Border Crime Prevention Unit, a task force of San Diego police and Border Patrol agents, had shot 44 Mexican citizens since 1984, killing 18. Of the 18, only two had fired weapons at the unit. In one incident, 45 shells were counted in a victim.

In 1980, the Civil Rights Commission studied INS's complaint review procedure and concluded that 50 percent of the 202 open cases had not been resolved even a year after filing; that no systematic procedure to inform the public of the complaint process is intact; that INS lacked internal policies guiding internal investigations; the review process lacks civilian oversight; and that INS did not publish or compile records of complaints.

More than 10 years later, AFSC officials state, nothing has changed.

Immigration and Naturalization Service representatives were unavailable for comment.

Warner said those wishing to contact him about Border Patrol abuses against American citizens can contact him at 145 Park Hill Rd.; Southern Pines, NC 28387.