HOUSTON LOOKS FOR ONE MORE SHOT AT TEXAS

BY KEITH ROLLINS

The stage has been set Friday in Dallas for the Cougars to prove to themselves, the conference and the national collegiate basketball scene that they are a legitimate contender for the NCAA Tournament.

The favored Cougars will start their crusade against the Southern Methodist University Mustangs in the first round of the SWC Post-Season Classic at 2 p.m. Friday in Reunion Arena.

Since the Cougars finished the regular season with a share of the SWC crown, they will be seeded number-two entering the game. The co-champion Texas Longhorns are pitted first because of their two regular season wins over the hometown boys.

Though they are taking one game at a time, Cougar Head Coach Pat Foster can't help but hope for a future match with the Longhorns in the tourney championship game.

"That's what we are looking for," Foster said.

However, the Cougars must first beat the Mustangs. Although the Cougars have already beaten them twice this year, the last coming on March 7 in Houston, they will be sure not to look past the Mustangs in this encounter.

The Mustangs crushed the Cougars' hopes last year in the first round of the annual tourney and sent them home with their tails between their legs.

"You have to be careful with a team like SMU. They will hold the ball and run the clock down. You end up playing for the win on the last possession," Foster said.

Since the last game between the teams ended each of their regular seasons, the upcoming contest will mark back-to-back meetings.

In essence, both teams have a better understanding of each others' game plans and weaknesses -- making the game even more interesting.

"In a situation like this, each member on the team will have to play even harder. I'm not singling out any one player, but all of them will have to play well," Foster said.

Watch for the Cougars' front line, consisting of forwards Sam Mack and Craig Upchurch and center Charles Outlaw, to provide the necessary muscle and offense to eliminate the Mustangs.

In the last matchup, Mack and Outlaw each scored 18 points, while Upchurch, the Associated Press' All-SWC forward, lead all rebounders with 12.

When guards Derrick Daniels and Derrick Smith are added to the already-potent mixture, the Mustangs' hopes for a win look bleak.

However, as all Houston sports

*******************************************************

WOMEN IN HISTORY TOPIC FOR PANEL DISCUSSION

BY MELISSA NEELEY

Nineteenth-century abortions, women's movements in Nazi Germany and the plight of women in Latin America were topics in a panel discussion held Tuesday.

In honor of Women's History Month, a panel of three UH history professors spoke to a crowd of both men and women about women's roles in U.S. and world history. The event was sponsored by the Women's Studies Program and the Women's Studies Student Organization.

In the United States during the 19th century, abortion was not illegal and was widely practiced, said professor Steven Mintz, the first speaker on the panel.

"The reason why abortion was not a problem or an issue (during the 19th century) was because there was no notion of a moment of conception," Mintz said.

The methods of abortion included swallowing lead and mercury, having someone jump on a pregnant woman's stomach and a pregnant woman falling down flights of stairs, he said.

Contrary to some people's beliefs, abortion was not deemed a criminal act by theologians, but by feminists who complained of unsafe abortion methods and by doctors who claimed that non-professionals were performing hazardous abortions, he said.

In colonial America, one of every six women died during childbirth, and each woman delivered an average of eight to 10 children in their lifetime, he said.

Sarah Fishman, the second speaker and history professor, decided to take a class in women's history in 1977 and was struck by the lack of information available. Women's studies was a new field then, she said.

Since women's history has been virtually ignored throughout the centuries, Fishman was able to look at material that had been sitting on shelves collecting dust, she said.

Women in pre-World War II Germany, for example, became involved in the Nazi movement, which led them to lose their jobs to give more employment opportunities to men, she said. The economy was in such turmoil that women listened to the Nazi philosophy that government should function like the traditional patriarchal family unit, she said.

A 19th-century movement in France, sponsored by the government, would give medals and other rewards to women for having children since the population was perceived as being too low, she said.

During England's Victorian Age, feminists tried to make prostitution illegal, but were unsuccessful, she said. "Good" women during this period were perceived as having little or no sexuality, so they were subsequently put on pedestals by their society, she said.

The history of women in Latin America differs from those living in the United States because of demographic differences, said professor Susan Kellogg, the third speaker on the panel.

In colonial times, women were categorized by their wealth and the racial content of Indian blood they possessed, she said.

Wealthy women entered convents in Latin America to get a good education, which could not be obtained through standard domestic living at that time, she said.

In writing her doctoral dissertation, Kellogg noticed women were a constant presence in anthropological findings in Latin America, she said. Women were makers of wills and other important legal documents.

Kellogg and Mintz have co-authored a book called Domestic Revolution in America.

Fishman recently completed a book called We Will Wait, which concentrates on the wives of French prisoners of war.

March was officially proclaimed Women's History Month in Texas by Gov. Ann Richards on Feb. 20, 1992. In an official memorandum from the governor's office, Gov. Richards acknowledged "Texas women of every race, class and ethnic background" who have contributed to the state's prosperity.

SMU TOURNAMENT REVIEW

BY ADAM KING

In preparation for the SWC Post-Season Classic, SMU's Troy Valentino eats a Totino's frozen pepperoni pizza for good luck. This time, he'd better eat two.

The seventh-seeded Mustangs (10-17 overall, 4-10 conference) will look to buck the No. 2 seed Houston from the first round of the tournament.

The Mustangs are led by junior guard Mike Wilson, who averages 16.3 points and 6.4 boards a game.

Wilson, though, hasn't practiced this week due to a knee injury he sustained last Saturday. He's on day-to-day status now.

Without Wilson, SMU will be hard-pressed to beat a Houston team that has won 12 of its last 14 games. The Mustangs, meanwhile, have dropped nine of their last 11 and are currently on a six-game skid.

But don't think SMU is not a threat. They took Texas to the wire in a two-point loss and forced Rice into overtime in vain.

Yet, adrenalin-pumping nail-biters aside, SMU has failed to conquer any of the top four seeds in the tournament during the regular season.

UT RIDES CAMBRIDGE'S COATTAILS INTO TOURNEY

BY JASON LUTHER

Texas goes into this weekend's SWC Post-Season Classic Tournament seeded number-one and the odds-on favorite to win.

The Longhorns (20-10, 11-3 conference) have done nothing to prove otherwise.

They are the only team in the conference not to have lost twice to the same conference foe, and the only team to have twice beaten co-conference champion Houston.

They are also one of the hottest teams in the conference, winning nine of their last 10 games.

Before the run, the Longhorns were an unimpressive 12-9, but that was not 1992 A.D., that was 1992 B.C.

Before Cambridge.

The return of senior forward Dexter Cambridge after a 16-game NCAA suspension turned the Longhorns' season around. They were 4-2 in conference before Cambridge's return. They were 7-1 after it.

With Cambridge back in the lineup, Texas has the most talented and balanced starting lineup in the conference.

Four of five Texas starters average more than 16 points a contest.

Cambridge and senior forward Benford Williams provide the inside threat, while guards B.J. Tyler and Terrence Rencher combine for one of the best back-courts in the nation.

Opponents' respect for Cambridge draws the focus away from the guards, opening up the outside game.

The Longhorns improved to 51.5 percent from the field in SWC play with Cambridge in the lineup, compared to 39.9 without him.

Equally as impressive as Texas' offense is their relentless attack defense.

They constantly press, trying to wear down the weaker teams by getting into the passing lanes and forcing turnovers.

They have a 3-to-2 advantage in steals and turnovers over their opponents on the year.

Texas likes to control the boards. They are 10-1 in games in which they out-rebounded their opponent.

Cambridge and sophomore center Albert Burditt lead the attack on the boards. Both are averaging nearly nine rebounds a game.

Burditt is not a scorer, but he carries much of the weight on defense with his 69 blocked shots and 51 steals.

The Longhorns are a solid ballclub. If you get scared and try to run with them, they will likely blow you out.

However, the teams that gave Texas the best games through the past 10 contests have been patient.

Patience is what it will take to beat UT in the tournament.

TEXAS A&M TOURNAMENT REVIEW

BY KEITH ROLLINS

In lieu of the recent blowout that left the Texas A & M Aggies with a 86-63 loss to Texas, a joke surfaced that Aggie Head Coach Tony Barone was holding back his team to make a surprise attack on the Longhorns when they face each other in the first round of the SWC Post-Season Classic.

The chances that Tony Barone would purposely hold any of his teams back are about as ridiculous as the idea that the Aggies actually have something to surprise Texas with.

The Aggies, who start two freshmen and two sophomores, are young and green. They have played well against some teams this year, but this group will likely be heading home after matching up with Texas, the number-one seed, on Friday.

Still, watch for speedy guard David Edwards to make his patent moves and dishes and freshman sensation forward Damon Johnson to show his talents. They are entertaining, but the Longhorns' tenacious defense will catch up with the young mixture.

With this season practically behind him, Barone will be banking on his team's chemistry in the future. Next year's campaign will write a different story for the Aggies.

FROGS HOPING FOR SECOND WIND

BY JASON LUTHER

What was once one of the hottest teams in the conference comes into the SWC Post-Season tournament one of the coldest.

TCU lost their last two games, both in the conference, and four out of their last eight.

The Horned Frogs (21-9, 9-5 conference) are the number-three seed in the tournament, behind Texas and Houston, and open the tournament Friday against Baylor (13-14, 5-9). The teams have split contests this year, with Baylor winning by one in Fort Worth and TCU winning by 10 in Waco.

Although TCU is cold, they should by no means be counted out of the tournament.

They were in first place in the conference for much of the season and have won some big games.

Their season began with seven straight victories, including wins over Iowa State and Tennessee, and are the only team in the conference to have beaten both Texas and Houston, the conference co-champions.

If the Frogs are to win the tournament, they may have to do it again. If the favorites win in the first round, TCU would face Houston in the second round.

If they were to upset the Cougars, they would likely face Texas in the finals.

To break out of their recent slump, TCU will have to rely heavily on the inside play and defense of All-SWC center Reggie Smith and senior forward Mark Moton.

Smith is averaging 17.6 points and 11.3 rebounds per game, while Moton is averaging 10.5 and 6.3 per contest.

The Horned Frogs' bench is thin, due to the loss of 6-9 sophomore Kurt Thomas, who has missed the last eight games with a leg injury.

His defense coming off the bench is sorely needed as he was averaging 5.4 rebounds a game, which was the third highest on the team.

Smith has become an iron man since the loss of Thomas, playing all but seven minutes of the last eight games.

The Horned Frogs possess a considerable outside threat in senior guard Michael Strikland, who is TCU's second-leading scorer, averaging 14.5 points a game. He has made 33 percent of his three-point attempts, with 67 on the year.

Three-point artist Al Thomas is a lethal weapon coming off the bench for TCU. He has landed 58 baskets this season, averaging 40 percent.

However, Thomas is virtually the Frogs' only bench threat.

Due to the lack of depth on the bench, TCU will have to leave its starters in for most of the tournament games.

Unless they can keep the games at a slow place, they will likely come up short.

ENROLLMENT APPLICATIONS DROP

BY MEAGAN MCGOVERN

Although the number of applications to UH has dropped dramatically this year, the overall enrollment figures should remain almost stable, according to a UH Undergraduate Council committee.

By this time last year, UH received 4,914 applications from freshman students. This year, UH has only received 3,512, a 28.5 percent decrease.

Transfer applications had an even more apparent drop, changing 34.6 percent, said an information sheet given to committee members Wednesday.

The committee, which advises the office of the senior vice president on all undergraduate affairs, said the probable cause was UH's institution of a $25 application fee last year.

The fee was implemented too late to affect last year's applications, but this year's fee has caused many prospective students to apply to UH only if they seriously consider attending.

Other factors mentioned in the sheet as having affected the number of applicants included the "difficult budget situation at the university," which is impacting recruiting activity.

Current U.S. economic conditions are also listed as adversely impacting the application rate. Many Houston-area students may decide to save money by beginning or continuing their education at a community college.

Wayne Sigler, dean of admissions and associate vice president for Enrollment Services, said, "the overall enrollment of students this year should be fine," despite the application figures.

"Applications don't necessarily reflect enrollment. Now a higher percentage of students who will choose UH are applying, and so the numbers don't mean a decline in enrollment this fall," Sigler said.

Another issue discussed at the meeting was a new requirement for physical education courses, which changes the present curriculum requirement of two physically active one-credit classes in order to graduate.

The new curriculum requires students to take either a one-credit physical education class and an educational class in exercise and nutrition, or a two-credit class combining both.

DON'T SAVE YOUR EARDRUMS

BY MANUEL ESPARZA

Before the world could recover from the New York Dolls' David Johansen or Twisted Sister's Dee Snyder, here comes the Chainsaw Kittens with their front-man, Tyson Todd Meade.

The Kittens' second album, Flipped Out In Singapore, should never be played at volumes below 90 decibels. Mark Metzger and Trent Bell's guitars scream for your amplifier's maximum.

The rhythm guitar holds the course, while the lead blazes its own trail. Metzger and Bell don't let the speed of the songs limit the riffs to just hammer-ons. The fretboard is their playground, and they climb all over it.

Tyson Todd's vocals, though not particularly talented (but not that bad), complement the music's style. Meade does most of the writing for the group.

His vocal range goes from yelps to serious efforts (where he actually shows some talent) and over to required rock howling. Meade's singing mannerisms only hint at his live-stage antics.

Aaron Preston's drumming seems to be the weak link, maybe because the beat is a little too fast for creative skin-bashing.

"Connie, I've Found The Door" is the first single from the new album, and it deserves quality airplay.

Sounding a bit like Cheap Trick meets Hanoi Rocks, the Kittens have a potential hit on their hands.

COMIC RELIEF MAY SPELL RELIEF FOR LIBRARY

BY RHONDA HECTOR

Everyone has heard that the M.D. Anderson Library is in bad shape.

Alpha Phi Omega, the coed service fraternity, is doing what it can to get the ailing library back on its feet by holding Spring Comedy Relief, a fund-raiser.

The comedy show will be held at 8 p.m. tonight at Agnes Arnold Hall, Auditorium 1.

"With all the fuss about the library, we decided to hold this event to benefit it (the library)," said Justin Struby, president of Alpha Phi Omega and a junior in mathematics. "It will give us (Alpha Phi Omega) publicity, it will give the library and its situation publicity, and it will help them a little bit financially."

The two headline comedians for the event are Rob Haney and Kenny Moore.

Haney has appeared on Home Box Office, ABC, CBS and Fox television stations, while Moore has toured with Willie Nelson and has appeared on Showtime.

UH student John Barnhart, a local comedian, also will be appearing.

"We are thrilled that they thought of us," said Kathleen Gunning, assistant director for Public Services and Collection Development at M.D. Anderson Library. "The library has received so much support from the students. It's wonderful that students care about the quality of the library service."

Tickets will be sold for $5 at the door, and there will be a cash bar at the event.

Alpha Phi Omega member Ingrid Williams said her group, which does volunteer work for the community, hopes to raise $300 to $400 for the library. The money will go into the library's collection budget and will be used to buy new books.

"The library isn't even able to buy the top 100 books in America because of the lack of funds," Williams said.

Some of the money raised will go toward costs, such as paying for the comedians and the rental of sound equipment, but at least 75 percent of the proceeds will go directly to the library, Struby said.

"We'd really like the support of everyone on campus because we should all be concerned about the library, and that is what this event is benefiting," Struby said.

The event is co-sponsored by the Activities Funding Board.

BAYLOR UNIVERSITY TOURNAMENT REVIEW

BY JASON LUTHER

Baylor enters the Southwest Conference Post-Season tournament as the number-six seed after compiling a regular season record of 13-14 and a conference record of 5-7.

Midway through the season, Baylor was touted as having a possible shot at the conference title; however, that was about the point they started a slide to the bottom of the SWC.

Early in the conference schedule, the Bears beat Texas by 16 and beat TCU in a hard-fought 64-63 win.

But the second time around, they were blasted by the Longhorns 97-67 and beaten by 10 in Waco against the Horned Frogs.

They possess one of the best guards in the conference in All-SWC selection David Wesley.

Wesley is averaging 21.1 points and 4.9 assists a game.

But the Bears will need much more than hot play from Wesley in Friday's matchup against number-three seed TCU.

MULTICULTURALISM CORE CLASSES FACE OBSTACLES

BY RHONDA HECTOR

Students could learn many historical facts in a multicultural class, but the most important lesson is not about details. It's about understanding.

"Culture is not just a fact you learn. It's a key to increase one's functionality in a society that is diverse," said James Anderson, professor of cultural studies. "It teaches you how to be more effective and interactive in the society we live in."

University of Texas faculty recently voted down a proposal to mandate students to take a U.S. minorities or a Third World culture course as part of their curricula.

"Culture is the common sense realm that people learn when they are growing up," said Phil Carspecken, coordinator of the cultural studies program at UH. "The differences, for example, between what is common sense to Caucasians and what is common sense to blacks is what causes cultural clashes."

The question has been raised as to whether or not UH will be looking at any similar proposals.

"It runs into a little resistance here (at UH) because the core at this university was put together after a lot of compromising," Faculty Senate President Bill Cook said. "It's a hard-fought battle to have courses added to the core. Everyone has a course they think should be included."

Minority groups on campus feel the idea is not an option, but a necessity.

"Most of your (students') education has been Eurocentric (centered on European culture)," said Morris Graves, associate director of African-American studies. "Eurocentric education has either completely ignored or distorted other people's culture and history.

"Many of the problems in this country are race-related because we make race such an issue," Graves said. "Education should broaden one's mind. If we could create an individual that could learn to accept that people are different, maybe it would keep us from making value judgments about other's cultures."

Although the proposal was not passed, UT faculty expect to see a similar proposal in the near future.

"Some of the faculty liked the general idea, but thought the proposal was too specifically drawn," said Paul Kelley, secretary of the faculty at UT. "In the report, there was a broad definition of multicultural, which was agreed upon by most, but some felt the definitions of what is multicultural in the United States were too specific."

One misconception about the proposal was that it would add courses to student degree programs, Kelley said. The way the proposal was written, the course could fulfill more than just the multicultural requirement; it may count as a history requirement, also.

"What I would expect to happen is that the people in favor of the proposal will be bringing it back in modified form," Kelley said. "I expect we will hear something about it again at the next council meeting a week from Monday."

The proposal might move through the faculty vote quickly if the committee brings back the original proposal with modifications, but it will take longer if they bring back an entirely different proposal, Kelley said.

Presently, there is no proposal in the UH Faculty Senate to mandate a multicultural class as part of the core curriculum.

"I don't know that I have an ax to grind in promoting the idea," said Renny Goyert, chair of the educational policies committee of the Faculty Senate. "The committee has this as a potential agenda idea. It's not a proposal. It's `should we discuss, consider and think about it?'

One problem with adding a course to the mandatory curriculum is that most of the degree programs already contain more than 120 hours.

"We have a very diverse student population, and it is definitely something we should think about," Goyert said. "But something that needs to be thought about is, `is it something significant enough to push something else out of the curriculum?'

"We could give up English, and everyone could leave here illiterate," Goyert said. "Or we could give up science, and everyone could leave with no idea about what keeps the world together. If everyone wants to go to school for five years instead of four, we could add a lot to the curriculum to make them more educated people."

Along with time constraints on students, money could be an issue when deciding to require a new course.

"Another reason (not to add a multicultural class to the core) would be that we don't have enough qualified teachers to teach such a course or the funding needed to hire more teachers," Cook said.

If the proposal is eventually passed by UT, other Texas colleges will most likely try to adopt comparable measures.

"If UT did something, the rest of us, meaning all state institutions, would be under pressure to do something similar," Goyert said. "Basically, pressure would come from two areas. Obviously, there would be pressure from the people who would be served from the idea, such as minority groups.

"The second would be peer pressure," Goyert said. "There's a bad habit on this campus of constantly comparing ourselves to UT. We should do what we want to do. Who cares what UT does?"

LADY COUGARS FALL TO UT

BY JASON LUTHER

The Lady Cougars succumbed to a lethal Texas Longhorn second-half press and post Darla Simpson fouled out with four minutes left as Houston lost in the second round of the SWC women's tournament 70-60 in Dallas Thursday.

The Lady Cougars (22-7) dominated the boards in the first half, and by halftime owned a 30-25 lead.

However, the Longhorns' (21-8) game plan was completely changed by the start of the second half.

The Lady Longhorns came out and took the momentum away from the Cougars.

After the Lady Cougars' first round win over Rice, they closed to within one game of the best record in school history.

That record was set by the 22-5 1988 Cougars, the only Houston ladies team ever to advance to the NCAA tournament.

The Lady Cougars will likely get another shot at the record in the NCAA tournament.

GARDENS FLOWER AROUND TOWN

BY GRAM GEMOETS

It's time to stop and smell the flowers at this year's Azalea Trail.

This weekend, you can be one of many who will continue a favorite Houston tradition.

Following the trail will allow you to visit eight of River Oaks' finest homes and gardens.

Despite the recent chill, this weekend's weather is supposed to be glorious. So what better way is there to spend an afternoon than by being awed by fabulous landscapes and interiors.

Since most normal folks can't afford to live in this exclusive neighborhood, this might just be your only chance to see how the other half lives.

Mayor Bob Lanier's mansion at 1907 River Oaks Blvd. is one of the many highlights of the tour. Boasting a free-flying staircase and a double-sized Olympic pool, this modest residence is a must-see for any informed voter.

By following the trail, you can also visit the Bayou Bend estate, located at 2940 Lazy Lane. The home contains one of the finest collections of Early-American furniture, and the gardens are unmatched. (This was one of many tourist stops visited by Queen Elizabeth on her visit to Houston last year.)

The estate is under the care of the Museum of Fine Arts and is equipped with expert tour guides.

Rienzi, the lavish estate adjacent to Bayou Bend, will also be included on the tour. Located at 1406 Kirby Dr., its English-style gardens are sure to please.

Also included on the tour is the River Oaks Garden Club Forum of Civics Building at 2503 Westheimer. This is the only structure on the tour not located in River Oaks.

Noted Houston entrepreneur Herbert Wells' home also will throw open its doors for this year's Azalea Trail. The mansion at 23 West Oak Dr. has received such notable guests as Ronald Reagan and Lady Bird Johnson.

Along the trail, you also can visit the homes and gardens at 959 Kirby Dr., 60 Tiel Way and 5027 Green Tree Circle.

For added enjoyment of River Oaks' unique setting, you might try riding your bicycle on the tour. All of the homes, excluding the Garden Club Forum, are relatively close together. But if you drive, parking along the neighborhood streets is free.

Since several gracious homes are included on this year's tour, you can purchase single admission tickets for $3. A ticket good for all eight homes can be purchased for $12 before Saturday or $15 thereafter. Children under 12 are admitted free.

Tickets and maps are available at the River Oaks Garden Club Forum of Civics Building, Randall's or Bering's Hardware store. They are also available at garden gates throughout the tour.

The map suggests the order one should view the homes and gardens, but there is no mandatory order.

The tour is sponsored by the River Oaks Garden Club, and proceeds will support the club's civic, environmental and educational projects. For more information, call 523-2483.