LEGAL QUESTIONS UNANSWERED IN TASK FORCE REPORT

BY CLAY CARPENTER

As UH awaits acting President James Pickering's official endorsement of the UH Arrest Policy Task Force report, some glaring legal and organizational questions regarding the recommendations in the report remain unanswered.

A letter drafted by Dennis Boyd, senior vice president for Finance and Administration; and Elwyn Lee, vice president for Student Affairs; which will be issued from Pickering's office sometime this week, will endorse the UH Arrest Policy Task Force report, Boyd said.

The report was written in 1991 by a task force of 10 administrators appointed by late UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett. It reviews and makes recommendations on UHPD arrest policy.

The report suggests a committee of UH administrators review crimes committed against the university on a case-by-case basis and recommends to UH Police Chief George Hess either that UHPD arrest and prosecute a suspect, or that the suspect be subject to campus disciplinary procedures, or both.

The task force made that suggestion on the advice of District Attorney John Holmes, who said the administration legally can only recommend that UHPD not prosecute a case. The report states that Holmes told the task force that section 36.03 of the Texas Penal Code forbids any administration policy that would order UHPD not to prosecute a case.

The section reads, in part, "A person commits an offense if by means of coercion, heL<TH>.<TH>.<TH>influences or attempts to influence a public servant to violate the public servant's known legal duty."

Holmes also cites section 2.13 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, which says a peace officer "shall give notice to some magistrate of all offenses committed within his jurisdiction."LHLolmes advised that when a suspect is taken into custody, a committee formed by the administration should meet with the police chief to recommend either prosecution or campus disciplinary measures.

"The law is not designed to prevent a peace officer from exercising his discretion, so long as it is his discretion, not the administration's," Holmes said.

However, some campus authorities disagree with Holmes' interpretation of the law.

Professor Michael Olivas, an expert on higher education law, said the administration can legally restrict police policy.

"(Holmes) is wrong here. The police department is not independent. It exists because of the university. The chief of police is like any other administrator. He serves at the pleasure of the president and the board," he said.

Boyd shares Olivas' view.

"I don't know how you can separate the university from the police department. (UHPD) is not the Houston Police Department. It's the university police department," he said.

The report says the only way to resolve the issue would be to acquire an opinion from the Texas attorney general.

Boyd, however, said the task force concluded that the DA's opinion would suffice.

"We don't want to

aggravate the DA," he said.

UH Police Chief George Hess declined to comment on the task force report or whether he was asked by the administration not to give his opinion on the report.

Mark Goodman, executive director of the Student Press Law Center, a Washington D.C.-based organization that offers legal assistance to student newspapers, said the UH administration is out of bounds.

"I can't believe a police officer is willing to give up his ability to prosecute someone. I generally think it's not a good idea to have a campus disciplinary body acting as a judge and jury. They don't have the ability to do that," Goodman said.

Elwyn Lee, a member of the task force, said the suggestions in the report support "an environment that enhances the educational process. "We're an educational institution, and much of what we do involves student development. If we have the discrimination to refer some matters for administrative resolution, we will use it with wisdom and judiciousness."

The report lists several advantages administrative resolution would have over prosecution, such as the burden of proof being lower in administrative proceedings than it is in criminal trials, increasing the likelihood of conviction.

Though examples of administrative punishments are not given in the report, it says such punishments "might be deemed a more severe form of punishment with more potential for correcting behavior" than typical court fines.

The report states the student's record would not be tainted by a conviction unless he did not comply with administrative punishment.

But the question of exactly what matters will fall under administrative jurisdiction has not been decided.

"That's kind of a gray area. That has not been decided absolutely," Lee said.

Boyd said, "We're going to have another meeting with the DA and decide these parameters. The DA would decide to handle any felony."

Olivas doubts the administration has the resources to handle higher crimes.

"I don't think we have the staffing or facilities to handle felonies or even some misdemeanors. We don't have the rehabilitation facilities," he said.

*******************************************************

BIG SAVINGS PUT ON HOLD AS NEW ROLM SYSTEM GOES ON LINE

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

In the face of already-shrinking budgets, departmental administrators are grumbling about the increase in monthly phone bills UH's new Rolm Phone system will bring, but realize the necessity for the modern system.

However, officials in the Telecommunications office said savings can be seen in other areas, and when the system is paid off in seven years, phone bills will drop significantly.

In the meantime, while no final numbers are available and those available now are rough estimates, departments across the campus project increases of 10 to 30 percent, while others predict moderate savings.

Susannah Wong, telecommunications coordinator for the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, said, "We don't like it (the increase in cost), but we're not that upset."

Assistant Director of Operations for Residential Life and Housing Ahmad Kashani said his office expects a 20 percent increase in cost for providing its residents with phone service.

Kashani said analog converters for the digital Rolm system had to be installed for campus residents to allow them to still be able to use their own answering machines. Kashani said the total cost for installation of the system, $130,000, had to be taken out of next year's budget for renovations and improvements.

Telecommunications Coordinator for the College of Engineering Craig Ness said, "We had somewhat of an increase. Every increase is serious (with departments' strained budgets)."

A spread sheet of projected costs to the departments under the College of Humanities, Fine Arts and Communication shows an average increase between all their departments of 30.2 percent, or $2,221 monthly and $26,647 annually.

Diane Harris of the HFAC dean's office said costs and savings of all the departments were spread out over the entire college so no one department was hit too hard individually.

Here are some of the foreseen increases for some HFAC departments: English -- more than $10,000 a year, or 78 percent; Hispanic and Classical Languages -- $3,500 or 90 percent; History -- $5,718 or 75 percent; Music -- $8,300 or 78 percent; and Religious Studies -- $540 or 150 percent.

However, Director of Telecommunications Gary McCormack said any increases in basic phone service over 10 percent would be subsidized by his office for the first year.

After that year, departments would have to be responsible for the full price and would assume costs for any services beyond the basics from the beginning, McCormack said.

McCormack also said the average cost to UH overall came out to be no more than it was for the old system. He also pointed out that the bills now also include the financed cost of installation over the next seven years. After that, the installation and hardware will be paid off, and the total bill for UH will drop from $180,000 to $80,000.

McCormack said most of the increases departments will experience stem from two main sources: which system features the departments chose for their phone systems and the fact that for the first time, the Telecommunications Office is passing on the increases the phone companies have made before to the departments.

Until now, Telecommunications subsidized the bills to keep the departments' cost the same.

McCormack also said departments are also experiencing savings in other areas, such as using phone mail features instead of office workers to take messages.

He said by using phone mail, departments can use their office staff more efficiently to accomplish more important tasks.

McCormack also said by providing phone mail for each professor, students are better able to contact their instructors because now several professors don't have to share the same phone line.

In spite of whatever cost complaints they have, faculty on campus say they find the Rolm phone features a help.

Jarry Booth, an office manager for the College of Education, said when an office position had to be eliminated because of budget cuts, the Rolm phone mail feature made it easier to sustain the blow.

"We're gaining significant amounts of time by freeing up personnel from the tremendous phone traffic," he said.

McCormack said besides the hardship of no longer having their phone bills subsidized, another reason the departments are being struck by these new costs is that UH is having to make up for being 20 to 30 years behind the times in one giant leap.

"We should have been making little baby steps all along, and now we're having to make a quantum leap. And I understand it's difficult for people, but down the line, it will pay off. Had we done this five years ago, this would have just been a ripple," he said.

HOLD ON TO YOUR HATS!

BY DANA DURBIN

The organizers of the UH Frontier Fiesta Cook-off, April 2-4, hope to bring together students, alumni and the community in the name of school spirit and campus involvement, said Ron Morris, director of Development of Athletic Fundraising.

The Frontier Fiesta, which will take place between Hofheinz Pavilion and Robertson Stadium, was a huge event in the 1950s and 1960s, said Francine Parker of the Office of Media Relations. It was once billed as "the greatest college show on earth" by Life magazine and attracted more than 100,000 Houstonians, raising thousands of dollars for the school.

The idea to reorganize the event, which has not taken place for almost three decades, came from alumni who wanted to rejuvinate UH spirit. Proceeds from most of the events benefit the UH General Scholarship Fund and the UH Athletic Department Community Involvement Program.

"We don't think the event is going to attract 100,000 people like the original Frontier Fiestas, but they took place before the days of TV," Morris said.

The three-day event will kick off on Thursday, April 2, with the Kenny Rogers concert. Rogers was one of the main attractions at the old Fiesta festivals. Proceeds from the concert will go to the scholarship fund.

Events to take place on April 3 and 4 include a talent show, comedy routine, auction and dance, which will conclude the events on both nights, Morris said.

Also to take place on April 3 is a 5K Fun Run sponsored by the UH ROTC, Morris said. The ROTC will keep the proceeds they earn from the event.

In addition, Morris said there will be Frontier Booths sponsored by various campus organizations. Some of the booth events include a pie-throwing contest and a casino. Each organization will split the proceeds from the booths with the Athletic Program.

Morris said real money can be cashed in at the Frontier Bank for use at the booths.

However, the main events at the Frontier Fiestas will be the cook-offs. Morris said they hope to have about 30 cook-off teams.

The original Frontier Fiestas centered around shows with western themes. Morris said the cook-off was brought in to make the new Frontier Fiesta different from the original.

It is not only the UH community that will play a part in the events. For instance, construction company Brown and Root will have a cook-off team, which Morris said will promote UH by getting others to the campus.

Many alumni who were involved in the original Frontier Fiesta are being brought back to be active in the cook-off, Morris said. The alumni are not making money from any of the events; rather, it is costing them money to have cook-off teams.

The Second Annual UH Report to the Community is also to be held at the Houston Club during the Frontier Fiesta weekend, Morris said. Although this was planned before the February death of President Marguerite Ross Barnett, they will go on with it.

"The Frontier Fiesta Cook-off will be tied to the report, which will be tied to the Kenny Rogers concert. It all goes together," Morris said.

UH senior and campus resident Sean Whitworth said he is happy to see an event such as this happening on campus, especially since it is virtually free.

The events are not quite free, however. Morris said parking in the lot between Hofheinz Pavilion and Robertson Stadium is $5. However, students who live on campus won't have to bother with parking, nor will students who normally park in other lots.

Director of UH Media Relations Eric Miller said the Fiesta cook-off can be as economical as students want to make it.

The booths will cost 50 cents each, and the items available at the concession stand will be comparable to a basketball game at Hofheinz Pavilion, Miller said.

The concession stand will offer hot dogs and hamburgers, and the cook-off teams will donate other food to the concession, Miller said.

The concession also will sell soft drinks, but Miller said no beer will be sold at the event or allowed on the premises, except by the cook-off teams.

For ticket information on the Kenny Rogers concert, contact 743-9444.

ARCHITECTURE BUILDING ON RAPTUROUS DISPLAY

BY KIM STOILIS

As you were lying in bed last night, with your white-bread thoughts, dreaming suburban dreams, students in the College of Architecture were preparing to alter your reality for an evening.

Late into the night, preparations continued to be made for tonight's multi-media performance/art event, "OOOpen: The Ritual."

The architecture building, long a source of intimidation for those of us who are not architecture majors, will be open for an evening that will integrate music, poetry, prose, drama and video.

Non-architecture majors, this is your chance to reclaim lost territory. Not only is this event open to everyone, but admission is free.

Co-sponsored by the American Institute of Architecture Students, the Environmental Awareness Group and the College of Architecture, "OOOpen: The Ritual" will take place in the College of Architecture's atrium at 9 p.m.

"OOOpen: The Ritual" was conceived, written and produced by Faisal Butts, a UH senior architecture student.

Originally from Pakistan, Faisal has been in Houston for five years. Through this event, he hopes people will realize architecture affects us in more ways than one.

Directed by Khaled F. Ali, a student in the UH Drama Department, "OOOpen: The Ritual" was specifically designed to reach audiences both within and outside the field of architecture.

About 65 people have contributed their time to take part in the performance, either as cast members or as general behind-the-scenes helpers.

"There are certain levels that I'm trying to put into this thing," Butts explained. "The first level is very superficial -- it's the MTV level. I'm really worried about the image-saturated society. People should look behind the surface.

"If nothing else, people should leave with a feeling about what architecture is. It's not a box, it's not white lights, it's not something that is completely visual.

"The idea for the ritual comes from my desire to open up the atrium to natural light, to let air breeze through," Butts said. His ideas concerning architecture supplement this concept of opening up buildings to their surroundings and letting the environment in.

"You should never be in a building and not know that it is raining outside," he said.

Choosing April 1 as the performance date is not only ironic, but it is also significant. "The word April means open. It's like the skylight. Initially, when I started this thing, I just wanted to see the skylight opened.

"I've been here for five years, and I've never seen the damned thing opened. I really wanted to see it opened before I left. Initially, that was my only motivation," he added. "It began to tie into my thesis, about how everything has become so visual, so image-oriented."

For those of you planning to experience The Ritual for yourselves, be prepared for discovering thinly veiled symbolism behind images of toga-clad chanting students, black lights and meaningful dialogues.

"I'm not recording it because it is an experience. Video would not be the same. I want you to have the memory," Butts said.

It is his hope that our thoughts are provoked and that we leave thinking, "It's about people chanting `open, open, open,' slam dancing at one point and drinking beer. They were excited, and at one point, I think I saw Jesus and a guy was yelling on a video screen.

"There's nothing to be afraid of," he added as a reassurance to those of us who remain unconvinced.

"I don't want to explain it too much. People should try to communicate these ideas on their own level. I don't want to tell them what everything means. It's more constructive to let them figure it out on their own."

If some of you are still wondering how the performance is tied into architecture, all will become clear tonight.

If you still aren't quite sure about whether or not you want to attend what has been subtitled "Archirapture," we also mention that there will be a post-performance party. Local band DeSchmog will be playing, and beers are only a buck.

Not bad for a Wednesday night!

NATIVE-AMERICAN EDUCATION SEEKS MORE FUNDING

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

Mary Little White Man, a 25-year-old Lakota Indian, had almost given up hope for a higher education -- until she enrolled in Oglala Lakota College in 1987, one of 25 tribal colleges in the United States.

Now the busy mother of a 1-year-old is working on a degree in computer science and soaking up Lakota culture, history and language.

Little White Man, who has spent her life on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota, is just one of thousands of Native-Americans who are attending Indian-run colleges close to their reservations.

The tribal school concept, an alternative higher education system created by Native-American educators, is experiencing remarkable academic success despite being seriously underfunded and understaffed.

"Our people were faced with a cultural, social and economic emergency," said Lionel Bordeaux, president of Sinte Gleska College on the Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota and a founding member of the American Indian College Board.

"Our culture was disappearing, unemployment and substance abuse had reached astronomical proportions, and the high school drop-out rate on many reservations was surpassing 50 percent," Bordeaux said.

Native-Americans had to "take matters into our own hands," he said.

Since the first tribal college, the Navajo Community College, opened in 1968, 25 other colleges have sprung up throughout the West and Midwest, and students have flocked to the schools that teach their tribe's culture, art, language and history as well as post-secondary academics.

In fact, Native-American enrollment has increased overall by 10.8 percent between 1988 and 1991, according to the American Council on Education's Status Report on Minorities in Higher Education. In contrast, blacks have shown an 8.2 percent gain during the same period.

Tribal college enrollment has grown tenfold over the past two decades. In 1991, tribal colleges enrolled 16,000 full-time and part-time students, an estimated 60 percent of all American Indian college students.

According to the American Indian College Fund, an organization founded in 1987 by the tribal college presidents, enrollment is expected to increase by 25 percent over the next five years. Ninety percent of the graduates find jobs or go on to further their education.

The colleges are also being accredited with unusual swiftness. Twelve are accredited at the two-year level, three at the baccalaureate level and one at the master's level. Nine are candidates for accreditation and two are studying their programs for possible accreditation.

Like many minority students, American Indians at mainstream institutions face a series of obstacles: lack of money, cultural isolation, racism, poor secondary-school preparation and the stress of separation from their communities.

The drop-out rate of Indian students at non-Indian colleges has been a devastating 90 percent.

"American Indians are several generations behind mainstream America in the credentials game," said David Archambault, president of Standing Rock College, a tribal school founded in 1973, and president of the American Indian College Fund.

"Everyone is starting to find out that we can think. Everyone is starting to understand we have something to offer. In the '60s, there was an awakening among our people," Archambault said.

Money is tight in the little schools, which have an average enrollment of 300 students, and the AICF has had to turn to the American public, much like the United Negro College Fund, for the support that most mainstream schools receive from alumni.

State support is not available for tribal colleges because many tribes have a sovereign-nation relationship with the federal government. Native-American education activists say states must take more of the financial burden for their educational needs.

"If it weren't for the tribal schools, most of the people attending them would not be in college at all," said Robert Wells, professor of government at St. Lawrence University, who has studied Native- American culture for 30 years.

"If they are to prosper, however, there needs to be a partnership between state government and the academic community. They should set up more `storefront' schools, much like they have in Spanish Harlem or the South Bronx, that are run by the big schools. They offer open admission, low tuition, accessibility and support services."

Wells also said non-Indian schools are woefully lacking in curriculum that is meaningful to the average Native-American student.

"There has been a tremendous loss of the Indian language in this country," he said. "The same with history. That's why the Indian-run colleges are so important."

"Tribal colleges are barely there right now. The federal government continues to underfund, putting our survival in question," Archambault said. The Native-American personality is too reserved to be a "strong enough voice to be heard on Capitol Hill," he said.

The media, however, may provide the voice needed by the educators. The AICF recently released several TV commercials requesting funds for the tribal schools. They say radio, print and other advertisements, depicting Indian reverence for children, animals and elders, are expected to come out this year.

The tribal schools are staffed in part by education leaders who have been trained in a mainstream American college or university.

Ron Naugle, professor of history at Nebraska Wesleyan University, said American-Indian education has been a century of tragic attempts to assimilate Native-Americans into a white Anglo-Saxon culture.

"They considered the reservation an inferior life," Naugle said.

Such an attitude is still pervasive in some parts of American society. "I give talks to church groups and organizations around the state. It floors me. They think we need to change them," he said.

LSD RETURNS FROM ASHES OF PSYCHEDELIC '60'S

BY COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

LSD's kaleidoscope colors, shapes and designs -- as well as its darker sides -- are revealing themselves again to college students in the 1990s.

Although many thought the controversial drug died with the hippie culture of the 1960s, LSD is far from gone.

"How did LSD creep out of Bohemia into an upper-middle-class frenzy? It was advertising," said Dr. Daniel X. Freedman, professor of psychiatry and psychology at UCLA, who has researched the effects of LSD on the brain since the late 1950s.

"I saw LSD discovered 17 times in the popular press between 1960 and 1965," he said. "Part of it is the allure of this odd experience. There is definitely some renewed interest. I can tell you that from my telephone."

Known as one of the nation's experts on the drug, Freedman said although LSD never went away, it is certainly back in vogue among drug users, scientists, the media, drug counselors and enforcement agents.

At a recent national conference in San Francisco that addressed the renewed popularity of the drug, Robert Bonner of the Drug Enforcement Agency offered his reason for the upsurge.

"Kids today really have no knowledge of the adverse effects of LSD, and I'm afraid it's been said those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it," Bonner said.

Since 1938, when Dr. Albert Hofmann synthesized lysergic acid diethylamide in Switzerland, the drug has been called everything from "God in a pill" to the "ultimate illusion of hell." Opinion toward the drug is still divided.

Social psychologist Lloyd Johnston, principal investigator for the University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research annual study that documents drug use among college students, said LSD was "one of the earliest drugs to fall from popularity because of concern about adverse effects such as flashbacks, bad trips and possible neurological and chromosomal damage. However, these were concerns of an earlier generation."

That generation is the one now concerned about the growing trend of use, especially by college students, even though the increase in overall use of LSD is certainly nowhere near epidemic proportions.

According to the most recent data released by the Michigan Institute, LSD use among college students has risen to 5.1 percent in 1991 from 3.4 percent in 1989, one of the few drugs with an increase in reported use.

The percentage of all young people who ever tried the drug has dropped since 1975, the year the annual study began. In 1975, 11.3 percent reported trying LSD. That figure dropped steadily to 7.2 percent in 1986 but has slowly rebounded since, with 8.8 percent reporting experimentation in 1991.

The study shows that the typical LSD users are upper-class white males.

According to figures from the Drug Enforcement Administration, arrests and seizures of LSD have increased as well -- 205 arrests for fiscal 1991, which ended Oct. 1, compared with 103 arrests in fiscal 1990.

Scientists generally agree that today's users are aware of the effects of the drug and, as a result, are more responsible.

According to toxicologists, LSD is much safer now because users tend to obtain LSD that is more pure and use it in smaller dosages than their '60s and '70s counterparts. Most people who trip socially also have an experienced user who serves as a "trip master."

That person's job is to monitor a group's use of the drug and help "talk down" someone on a bad trip. One effect of the drug is a high level of suggestibility.

In 1943, Hofmann was the first person to try the drug and report its unusual effects, which include hallucinations and enhanced sensory experiences often described as an array of colors, textures and shapes.

Scientists eventually found that LSD's molecular structure closely resembles the structure of serotonin, a brain chemical that helps control and regulate perception, mood, appetite, sleep, anxiety and depression.

Scientists believe LSD stimulates the user's sensitivity to sensory cues, such as colors, textures and designs, while at the same time decreasing the user's ability to evaluate them.

"The drug would change your perception so that everyday, drab reality is far less important than the `TV in the head' that captures your attention in a psychedelic way," Freedman said.

He said LSD does not create an effect that isn't already present in the brain. "You can only have a trip that's already in your head," he said.

Because the drug enhances the mental state of the user, the ensuing trip is largely determined by a person's state of mind when the drug is ingested.

People ask scientists, `Please, tell us something awful (about LSD) so we can tell our kids to stop fooling around with the drug,' but we can't," Freedman said. "There is no objective evidence that LSD causes physical damage to the brain."

What is known, though, is that some people experience the effects of the drug days, even years, after use, a phenomenon called flashbacks.

Although the drug is believed to be safe for well-adjusted users in comfortable settings, scientists say they are not advocating recreational use.

"There is no contribution to the greater good, and for some people, it's bad," Freedman said. "It's hard to manage a trip and be certain it will be successfully endured."

Some users, however, say it's worth the risk.

"Psychotropic drugs open a consciousness to awareness," said Kelly Green, who invented a drug-free toy that simulates the effects of the drug. "It literally opens your eyes to see through the gray smoke that society puts out."

Other users who have successfully maneuvered their minds through a good trip agree.

"It's a great way to escape reality," said a 23-year-old user who did not want to be identified.

Freedman said, "Most want to change their psychic skin and enhance new visions, new learning and new beliefs."

Scientists generally agree that the people who have bad trips are those suffering from personal problems or those who take the drug in an uncomfortable setting. They believe that the people who go berserk or try to commit suicide after taking LSD suffer from some form of mental illness.

Although some have suggested the drug is dangerous because it is addictive psychologically, scientists have found the opposite to be true. Continued use actually builds tolerance.

"The interesting phenomenon with LSD is that if you take a dose of pure stuff every day for four days straight, you will not experience a trip," Freedman said.

CHAVEZ CANNOT SING

BY TIFFANY RATHER

Ingrid Chavez's new, self-titled CD leaves a lot to be desired. Singing is one of them.

Chavez's effort consists of nice beats smothered by her voice whispering extremely deep lyrics, most of which only she could truly understand.

The lyrics represent Chavez's experiences and feelings her soul wishes to share, but she really needs to find a simpler way to share them.

In trying to find out the lyrics' meaning, listeners become confused and unable to enjoy her messages and music.

Two singles, "Hippy Blood" and "Little Mama," are the only songs on the CD with some appeal and actual singing by Chavez, who whispers all her lyrics while background singers sing the chorus and add melody.

Even though the melody of "Hippy Blood" doesn't stand out among other songs, it is slowly rising up the pop charts.

When listening to the CD, it's obvious Chavez has taken some part in Madonna's "Justify My Love." Chavez and Lenny Kravitz wrote and recorded the song's demo, and Kravitz introduced it to Madonna.

Even though Prince was the first to take Chavez under his musical wings, Madonna was the one to bring her musical style to the world of pop music.

A native of Albuquerque, N.M., Chavez was raised in Marietta, Ga. Not feeling comfortable in her new surroundings, Chavez was consoled by writing poetry.

As she aged, Chavez added music to her words. Thus, her new music style was developed, and now it's on CD, a collaboration of funk, jazz, dance and pop music. However, buying it would be flushing good money down the toilet.

POP FUNK WITH A NOTICEABLE ATTITUDE

BY TIFFANY RATHER

Great music by four guys and great vocals from one girl equal the fresh sounds of Eye & I.

The group brings a noticeable attitude with their new self-titled CD, which emits a pop funk carrying a message in each song.

"Don't Just Say Peace," a single off the CD, is thumping with hard beats and strong lyrics. It talks about the world's problems and the emotionless people with the power to solve them.

Another great single is "I Ain't Low," and it flows with a nice rhythm accompanied by lyrics, which say that love can bring a person out of sadness.

"Prisoner in Babylon" focuses on the difficulties of conforming to society's expectations. The chorus outlines the song: "I'm not livin' a lie/That's why I seem a little bit crazy/I'll fight 'til the day that I die/I've got to break these chains that cage me."

As the title suggests, "Down To Zero" is just the opposite of "I Ain't Low." Its beats are just as nice, but this song talks about how someone can be heartbroken without the presence of love.

Eye & I is a collaboration of wonderful songs. It's not only a CD you should look for, it's one you need to buy.

S&M FILM FESTIVAL TO FOCUS ON `SEX AND MALICE,' NOT HARD PORN

BY CROSBY KING

S & M is lighting up the silver screen at the University Center in April, but don't expect to see any leather-clad vixens beating businessmen into ecstatic submission.

Dale Oliver, cinema chairperson for the Student Programming Board, said the label refers to sex and malice, not sado-masochism. The S & M series includes six R- and X-rated movies, including A Clockwork Orange and Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Oliver said he didn't expect any controversy over the films because he has tried to show a wide variety of movies this year. He cited the Asian film festival and African-American series as examples of cinematic diversity.

Oliver said he conducted a survey among students and found that the films with the highest attendance are those that are sex-oriented. He said students generally didn't take the sexually explicit films very seriously; instead, they laughed during the sex scenes.

He said UH set a precedent for showing sexually explicit films in the 1970s when it featured Deep Throat. He said the line stretched from the library to the Houston Room in the UC.

Oliver stressed he has shown several artistic movies, such as Metropolis and the Edgar Allen Poe series, but they have drawn few people.

"I learned something: Sex and violence sells. Art sucks," he said.

The closest any of the movies comes to the usual connotation of S & M is the Rocky Horror Picture Show, a cult classic in which the main character, Frank N. Furter, dresses in drag and tries to have his way with the unsuspecting Janet and her fiancee, Brad.

One group of movie-goers dresses up like the characters and acts out the movie as it is shown at the Bel-Air Theatre. They will attend the UH showing.

The other films include Matador, a dark comedy dealing with sex and death; M 3-D, a three-dimensional, X-rated feature; Men in Love, a soft-porn movie containing serious gay issues; and the Madonna semi-documentary, Truth or Dare.

A literal example of the combination of "sex and malice" can be seen in A Clockwork Orange. Malcolm McDowell plays a young hoodlum in futuristic England who craves sex as intensely as he lusts for "ultra-violence."

Humanity's baser qualities are also amplified in Matador, a story about the love affair between two serial killers. Houston Post film critic Joe Leydon said, "It's got to be one of the most perversely hilarious comedies in recent years."

Leydon said the whole movie-going experience is based on voyeurism, but the advent of VCRs has changed the nature of sexually explicit movies. He said today's pornographic films are targeted for couples, who use videos as a kind of "electronic foreplay."

UH Counselor Gail Hudson said she objects to the showing of pornographic movies because they objectify women, reducing them from the complex to the simple. She said the films exploit both men's and women's sexuality, and they usually include the sadistic treatment of women.

Steven Mintz, acting chair of the history department, said male film-makers react to what they see as a decline in male status. He said they make movies that contain "resurgent sexism," like the unrealistic treatment of women in "frat-house" movies.

Mintz said in a society filled with violence, violent movies are bound to predominate.

"Any film can be seen as a cultural document that tells as much about the society that produces it as about the film itself," he said.

Mintz said he was not surprised by the popularity of explicit movies such as those in the S & M series.

"The kind of films that most appeal to people are those that challenge conventional norms," he said. "People go to movies to escape the humdrum of everyday life."

Garth Jowett, professor of communication, said these are the sort of movies that cable networks show late at night, and he expects a big turnout.

"I think students are always titillated by the forbidden," he said.

Jowett said society questions showing films about sex but doesn't question the showing of violent films.

"If you're just going to show a Freddy Krueger film festival," he said, "nobody's going to complain in the least, but if you show someone kissing a bare breast, then that's going to raise some hackles."

PIXIES OPEN SHOW MONDAY

BY SALLY POUNCY

Monday night, the Summit will be crammed with thousands of fans impatiently awaiting the start of the U2 concert.

The house lights will dim, a hush will come over the crowd, power will flow into the cables leading to the stage lights and performers will finally take to the stage. Music will burst from the amplifiers as The Pixies work a frenzied audience into a fury.

In a recent interview, Pixies' drummer David Lovering said their tour with the Irish band has been "a nice vacation."

"We only have a 45-minute set a night. That's my aerobic workout," Lovering said.

Originating out of Boston, The Pixies have been around for several years. Their most recent CD is Trompe Le Monde, and the band's punkish style screams from the drums, guitar, bass and vocals.

The song lyrics "don't really relate to anything" commented Lovering. However, the song "Distance Equals Rate Times Time" doesn't quite fit Lovering's definition. A reference to the depletion of the atmosphere (ozone) is made in the song along with the lyric "we got to think quick." Is this a social comment? Lovering didn't know, but he couldn't even recall who wrote the song.

His memory returned when asked which song from the new CD was his favorite. He instantly responded "`Planet of Sound,' because I like playing it; it's a lot of fun to play."

Fun became the reason The Pixies did a cover of "Head On" by Jesus and Mary Chain. "We like the song and were jamming on it and just decided to record it," Lovering said.

When asked about how it felt to open for U2, Lovering calmly said, "It was cool and felt great. Many bands would like to open for them, and we were chosen. It was great."

The band has been on the road since October and has only a few more months left on this tour. "So far, Cleveland has been the best American show," Lovering said.

When they played with Jane's Addiction a few years ago in Los Angeles, the crowd got rowdy and not-your-average-items-to-be-thrown-on-stage were hurled at the band. "I got hit by a (camera) lens in the lip," he said.

Wild shows are something The Pixies are used to. "When we were in Scotland, the entire stage was moving because the crowd rushed the stage. We had to cancel the show after the first song."

One thing's for sure, Houston crowds will not be so wild as to jeopardize their chance to see U2 live.