HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS MAKE WAR, PEACE AT MODEL U.N.

BY CHRISTOPHER CUMMINGS

World War III broke out in the Middle East over the weekend on campus.

Israel attacked Syrian Forces in Lebanon and the Golan Heghts and struck Jordan along its border early Saturday. Syria, Iran, Ymen, Jordan, and Libya declared war on Israel soon afterward.

The United States quickly stepped in by moving aircraft carriers into the Eastern Mediterranean Sea and declaring their own ultimatum, saying any nations infringing on the rights of Israel will be held accountable.

These were some of the hypothetical situations brought forth at the 17th Annual Conference of the Houston Area Model United Nations (HAMUN) meeting held last weekend at UH.

Loan Huynh, former high school Model United Nations delegate and current UH student, took on the challenging role of HAMUN secretary-general. "HAMUN has sought to provide a forum in which students may explore their interests in contemporary international issues," she said.

Robert Muller, who worked with the United Nations for 38 years and climbed to the position of assistant secretary-general, gave the keynote speech. "By playing the role of countries other than their own, students can increase thier knowledge of other cultures and lifestyles," he said.

About 900 delegates to the HAMUN, both high school and college students, were divided into different countries and commissions. The students debated resolutions, wrote ammendments and played the roles of political, social and international delegates at the United Nations.

Delegates quickly realized the size of global problems. By Saturday afternoon, a thermonuclear weapon exploded over Damascus, Syria; bombs exploded in Washington D.C., London and the U.S.; and the U.K. bombed Tripoli.

The thermonuclear explosion turned out to be accidentally detonated and caused few casualties, but it was an alarm clock for the reconvening of the Middle East peace talks.

Students from Pines Montessori, Klein Middle School, Galena Park Middle School and Alief Middle School were part of the International Press Corps, which published a daily newspaper, HAMUN Herald, that reported on the daily events of HAMUN.

Several resolutions were passed, such as the Economic and Financial Committees' resolution on prevention of money-laundering. The resolution called for "the United Nations to assure that its money is always deposited in `clean' institutions to set an example to all depositors."

The AD HOC Committee's resolution on Middle East arms trade called for "all nations involved in the arms trade, legal or otherwise, in the Middle East, to suspend said trade."

Other topics discussed were the international debt crisis, proliferation of former Soviet nuclear technology in Southern Asia, global debt crisis and health care for women and children.

Two of the three treaties put up for adoption were passed: the United Nations Literacy Improvement Program, recognizing the extremely high illiteracy rate of the world, and Worldwide Environmental War Crimes Union, concerning the misuse and destruction of the environment.

HAMUN was founded in 1975 by Andrea Flynn. Sponsors included the United Nations Association, the

*******************************************************

PARTICIPATION HIGH, PROFITS LOW AT NEW COUGAR FIESTA

BY TIFFANY CONSOLI

SPECIAL TO THE COUGAR

Campus organizations united this past weekend to participate in the Cougar Fiesta, a party that in years past brought thousands of people to the university.

Organizers were pleased that the event, transformed from the Frontier Fiesta of the 1940s and 1950s, got off the ground successfully. But compared to other UH activities, profits and participation were low.

"Our main focus was to have a great time and get the Fiesta back. We're really satisfied with the fact that it came off. It was a great time to be with our friends and alumni," said Tau Kappa Epsilon member Trey Wilkinson, a member of the Cougar Fiesta Planning Committee.

The Tekes worked together with the Alpha Chi Omegas on an Opera House western revue, including songs and skits. As many as 75 people attended one showing.

"Our group got the audience involved," said Wilkinson. "I wanted something where we are all working together in friendly competition for the good of the university."

About 37 student organizations participated in the event, including members of the Hispanic Students Association, the Residence Halls Association and ROTC.

Mai Spickelmier, whose group, the College Republicans, had a booth at the Fiesta, said she had expected more profits. Each organization participating had to pay a fee to obtain a booth, and half their profit went to the university.

"If our booth wasn't underwritten, we would have lost money," Spickelmier said. "I thought it was ridiculous we had to give them 50 percent of our profits."

Booth members organized games, and cougar bucks were given to the winners. The cougar bucks could be then be exchanged for T-shirts and other miscellaneous items.

"To top it off, we gave Cougar bucks, and that was deducted from the profits," Spickelmier said. "It was very hard to make money."

But Spickelmier said she and other members of her group were glad they participated, despite the small amount of money they raised for their organization's coffers.

She said she was disappointed so few turned out for the festival's events. Most of those attending were people who had booths and were working during the Fiesta.

Many of the students who attended were angry because they had to pay a $5 parking fee. Wilkinson said he was told students would not have to pay for parking.

He speculated that attendants may have become overzealous and charged everyone for parking, instead of only non-students.

"I want to check into that at the meeting Wednesday," Wilkinson said. "That's not right; students should not have to be charged for parking."

Glen Lilie, alumnus and Cougar Fiesta organizer, said the parking snafu was one of only a few miscommunications about the event. Another was the misunderstanding about where and when beer would be served.

"When I was in my classes today, people said, `I thought there wasn't going to be beer served.' There was at the fiesta, but not at Kenny Rogers," Lilie said.

A concert by veteran country- western performer Kenny Rogers kicked off the event Thursday night at Hofheinz Pavilion, adding a campus stop to his "Back Home Again" tour.

Lilie said although he was in shock after the weekend's events, he was pleased overall with the festival.

"I had a ball," Lilie said.

Lilie said festival organizers accomplished their main objective -- to learn as much as possible this year so they could improve on the event in years to come.

"The profits weren't our goal. We wanted to break even," he said.

"I hope that all students that participated look through the 1992 and look at the potential and build on it.

"I think we have a great school. I'll always work hard for UH and its students without looking at the bottom line." Lilie said.

Wilkinson attributed the low student turnout to many things, including inadequate advertising and a failure to reach the students. Wilkinson suggested that future Fiesta promoters look at Houston as a complex metropolis with other options for entertainment.

In the future, the festival might resemble the Freedom Fest, with radio station sponsorship.

UH STUDENTS JOIN PROTEST CHOICE MARCH IN D.C.

BY PAULA NAST

On April 5, approximately 500,000 people marched in

Washington D.C. to demonstrate their support for a woman's right to choose an abortion.

Eight UH students were among those who boarded a bus and traversed the country to add their voices to the protest theme, "We won't go back."

Proponents of the Freedom of Choice March mobilized to publicize the fact that days of safe and legal abortion could be numbered.

Marchers said they were afraid that Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court decision giving women the right to abortion on demand, could soon be overturned. The Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments in a case that could impose new abortion restrictions.

"Essentially, we want to send a message to George Bush, legislators and politicians that we will not tolerate any more cuts in abortion rights," said Frank San Miguel, a senior journalism and sociology major. "People are fed up with parental notification bills and clinic blockades. We are not going to give up any rights."

UH student Michelle Palmer, junior political science major, said she went to the rally because she believes it is time women had both equal status with men and control over their lives. Palmer said she went to Washington to ensure that her message reached the ears of influential politicians.

Like other marchers, Palmer is prepared to protest with her vote.

"I hope George Bush will start listening to a group of people that consists of more than half his constituency," she said.

Presidential candidates Bill Clinton and Jerry Brown were among those who attended the rally at the nation's capital.

The march was sponsored by several groups, including the Religious Coalition for Abortion Rights, Planned Parenthood Federation of America and The National Abortion Rights Action League.

A simultaneous march, sponsored

CORPORATION AWARDS GRANT TO ASSOCIATE PROF OF COMD

BY JEFF BALKE

Susann Dowling, associate professor of communication disorders, received a grant for more than $24,000 for research in supervisory training.

"Most who enter this field (communication disorders) end up in supervisory positions within two years," Dowling said.

"The program has a multi-disciplinary focus, but it is primarily applied to a clinical setting," she said.

The program is designed to help graduate students entering communication disorder professions to adjust more quickly to supervisory positions. Students learn to work better with their supervisors and be better supervisors, she said.

Cindy Mouch, graduate student in speech language pathology and former speech language pathologist for the Alvin Independent School District, took Dowling's class. "The class was timely for me because I was already working in the field. Students that have had the class can handle working situations better," Mouch said.

The money will go primarily to equipment needed to research supervisory training methods and language and speech disorders. The program helps people of all ages who "have difficulty processing information and with thought organization," Dowling said.

The speech communications program has a fully-staffed clinic and a preschool in the South Office Annex that is designed specifically for language- and speech-impaired children.

The grant came from The Coastal Corporation, a Houston-based energy company.

"Coastal has subsidiary operations in natural gas, oil and gas exploration, coal-mining, chemicals, trucking and independent power production," a spokesman for the company said.

The spokesman also said a committee evaluates each applicant and determines if and how much the company donates.

"The company gives worthwhile charitable contributions to organizations that help the community," he said.

Dowling holds a doctorate in supervision speech from Indiana University. She has worked at UH for 11 years as an associate professor in the communication disorders program.

GRADUATE STUDENT SHOOTING FOR DOCTORATE...AND THE STARS

BY REBECCA DEATON

Nancy Sherlock is up in the air more often than the average UH graduate student, and there's good reason to believe she will become even more flighty in the future.

The 35-year-old obviously has more on her mind than her dissertation. There's no such thing as an average day for Sherlock, who may be in Houston one day and making a public appearance in Peoria, Illinois, the next.

What could be so important that it keeps Sherlock from completing the requirements for her Ph.D. in industrial engineering?

For the past two years, Sherlock has been juggling her time between working on her thesis and training to become an astronaut. Her rigorous schedule keeps her moving at a supersonic pace.

"I'm still in search of the 30-hour day," she quipped.

But it's doubtful such a short time extension would be enough for someone as energetic as the U.S. Army captain, who received her astronaut credentials last July.

Six months after she completed her training, Sherlock was selected as a mission specialist for one of the four Space Shuttle flights scheduled for 1993. Because NASA space missions are becoming more frequent, she will have only another year to wait before making her first space flight.

"Our class was very fortunate," she said. "In the past, a lot of the training classes had a good four- or five-year wait, or longer."

But her assignment to Space Shuttle mission STS-57 doesn't mean she now has time to relax. She said the first year of astronaut training is only the beginning.

"There is so much to learn," she said. "The first year gives you the basis, but there is so much more to learn in preparation for a flight."

Sherlock, who will begin full-time training nine-months prior to her flight, finds that her days are still filled with technical assignments, public relations appearances and more training. She has already learned to operate the robotic arm, which will play an important role in her first mission.

Space shuttle STS-57 will carry SPACEHAB, a lab containing more than 40 scientific experiments. The robotic arm will be used when crew members pluck the European Retrievable Carrier from space and stow it in the cargo bay.

Although Sherlock doesn't know what her specific duties will be, she hopes to operate the robotic arm or suit up and go outside the shuttle if there are any problems with the retrieval. She's leaving the final decision to shuttle Commander Ronald Grabe.

"I felt like it was his call," she said. "He's already flown three missions and is a very experienced commander."

Sherlock is five-feet tall and weighs 95 pounds, but she's not intimidated by the prospect of maneuvering inside or outside the space shuttle. She compares it with many of the other challenges she's faced during her adult years.

She graduated with honors from Ohio State University in 1980 with a degree in Biological Science before facing the challenge of getting into flight training. Because of her small frame, she found that the Army was the only branch of the service that would let her fly.

After completing flight school, she was assigned to Ft. Rucker, Ala., as an instructor pilot, where she taught others to operate fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters. After receiving her M.S. degree in Safety Engineering at the University of Southern California in 1985, Sherlock decided to apply for the astronaut training program.

Sherlock edged past the space program's minimum height requirements, but her timing was off. After the Challenger disaster that year, NASA put a hold on all space-related activities.

However, she never gave up her dream and applied again as soon as the selection process resumed in 1987. When Sherlock got to the interview stage that year, she wasn't selected as an astronaut trainee, but NASA hired her as a flight simulation engineer.

That's when she moved to Houston and enrolled at UH. When she applied for the training program again in 1989, she was finally selected.

"Although I'll never be sure, I really think it helped that I was working on this degree," she said. "During the interview, I happened to mention it, and they all wrote it down."

Sherlock hopes to complete her doctorate requirements before she makes her first shuttle flight, and her UH advisor, Jacob Chen, thinks she's got a good shot at it.

"We're going to work very hard during the summer, and she will complete her doctorate in time," he said.

Chen, who describes Sherlock as "very self-motivated," said he expects her to have completed her degree requirements by this time next year.

Sherlock keeps her flight instructor skills fine-tuned by training Air National Guard pilots stationed at Houston's Ellington Field, and when she's not sidelined with a stress fracture, she also uses her running and swimming talents by competing as a triathlete.

But Sherlock's 5-year-old daughter is still her number-one priority. Her daughter was the first to know Sherlock had been chosen for the training program, and the first to hear she had been selected for a shuttle mission.

"I think she understands it pretty well because she has friends in pre-school who also have parents in the program," she said. "The only thing she said was `I want to go too.'"

Despite the rigors of mission training, Sherlock said she has never doubted that going into the space program was the right choice.

"I've worked all my life for this, but I never really expected to succeed. When success comes, it's always a shock," she said. "I still can't believe that I'm being paid to do this."

PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE AND THEORY COMBINE IN PROGRAM

BY KAREN RICHARD

SPECIAL TO THE COUGAR

UH professor Lorenzo Cano incorporates real-life experiences at de Zavala Elementary School into class study this semester by adding a tutoring practicum to the class curriculum.

More than 45 students make the 10-minute trip to the Magnolia neighborhood to participate in what started out as a requirement for the Development of the Mexican American Urban Community class.

Several students said they feel a bond and will be sorry to leave their "children" at the end of the semester.

The course encourages an in-depth study of the environment, its influences and how they affect all Americans today.

"It's important that students make a contribution to their community as well as learn from their experiences to have a better idea of what's going on," Cano said. "Most people call it leaving something behind."

Cano, who is a member of the de Zavala P.T.A. and advocate for education improvement, said education for inner-city minority kids should be structured to their needs to improve their chances for success.

Many school curricula are irrelevant to real-life situations, and society must act fast or the current 45 percent drop-out rate will worsen; however, the two-hour-a-week tutoring exercise is a step in the right direction, Cano said.

Although UH currently participates in tutoring programs at Yates and Austin high schools, Cano said he's unaware of any participation at the elementary level and admits the fact that his child attends de Zavala had a lot to do with his choice of schools.

While he is always looking for an opportunity to change the class around, Cano said, it's more important that his students "are exposed to the uniqueness of the Mexican-American community so they can combine practical experience and theory."

Principal Sylvia Valverde said, "the program has been excellent, especially in the much-needed areas of one-on-one contact."

De Zavala has programs that work with learning-disabled and exceptional children, but with an enrollment of 841, the school can't always provide the special attention that is sometimes needed, she said.

"I think school-business partnerships are important because they show people who are not in the education field what's going on in the school," Valverde said. They also provide an opportunity to see the kinds of problems that happen on an elementary level, she said.

De Zavala is also partnered with Pepsi Cola, the company that donated a revolutionary computer lab to the school, Valverde said. "But there is no comparison between computers and the feeling a child has that someone cares," she said.

Valverde said shared educational relationships make up an important piece of a new pie in HISD's school

DREAM ON: LOTTERY BRINGS OUT SECRET DESIRES

BY CROSBY KING

The corner Stop-N-Go takes on the luster of the Flamingo casino: Spend a little, win a bundle. In today's hard economic times, the new American dream is spelled L-O-T-T-O.

The Texas State Lottery, which kicks off in June or July, is expected to raise $1.2 billion in its first 14 months, said lottery spokesman Steve Levine. In that period, about $462 million will go back into the state, he said.

It sounds like money for nothing, but serious issues have not been confronted, and it is up to The Daily Cougar to ask the biggest question: What would you do if you won a million dollars?

"I would probably reduce my hours to part-time," said Karen Waldman, coordinator of Handicapped Student Services. "Try to move HSS to the first floor. Hire a cleaning lady, eat out more often."

"First of all, I would pay off all my bills, take a trip around the world," said Janice Horridge, receptionist to UH President James Pickering. She said she would donate the rest to the church.

"Jeez, I guess I'd put half in the bank and blow the rest on a stereo, a car, a boat," said Rod Anderson, sophomore English major.

"My God, I have no idea," said Stuart Hall, professor of Geosciences. "I've never thought about it my entire life."

"I'd invest it in a business, maybe a car if I had some left over," said Susanne Baharlol, undeclared sophomore. "Buy a small business that had some growth potential. Give 10 percent right back to church."

"I suppose I would not do very much different," said Dennis Boyd, vice president for finance and administration. "I'd like to see what I could do for the good of mankind. It wouldn't affect my work. I'd never win it, because I would never play it. It's kind of an insulting tax -- it's a tax on people who can't afford it."

"I would retire," said Bill Cook, president of the Faculty Senate.

"I'd probably stand a good chance of fainting for the first time in my life," said Eric Miller, head of Media Relations. "After that, I'd be first half-pragmatic and second half- fantasy. Maybe buy a cruise or dream house or something."

"I'd give some of it back to the University of Houston for its continuing shortfalls," said Shirley Ezell, associate vice president for academic programs. "I'm not a gambler, so you won't see me buying a lot of tickets."

"I'd have a hell of a good time," said Ivan Bernal, professor of chemistry. "It'd probably take me a week before I could decide what to do."

"I'd take a month off and go travel somewhere," said Nancy Hixon, assistant director of the Blaffer Gallery. "I'd keep my job, and then I'd have money to buy lots of art."

"I'd probably see if I could get a kidney transplant," said Tony Price, senior RTV major.

The pay-out rate for the lottery is very low over the long run, said Tom Mayor, chair of the

economics department. Calling it a "sucker's bet," he said it would be harmless fun for people who didn't mind losing a little money.

And if he won a million bucks?

"I'd develop a good investment program for it so I don't lose it," he said. "Over the long run, it would affect my consumption pattern."

POI DOG PONDERING PARTIED

BY SALLY POUNCY

Saturday night, Austin band Poi Dog Pondering played to a packed audience at the Vatican.

Before the show, the band got up-close-and-personal with members of the press at The Hobbit Hole. Arriving shortly before 7 p.m., the band seemed tired from their road trip, but they didn't ignore the people at the party.

Bass player Bruce "Shoofly" Hughes broke the ice by shuffling over to a table, plopping himself down, then loudly asking "Where is the smoking section?" Someone threw him an ashtray, and he boisterously answered his own question with "I'm over here, so I guess this is the smoking section."

After Hughes' proclamation, lead vocalist Frank Quimby Orrall eagerly talked about the band and their work, going into detail on the song "Te Manu Pukarua."

Being from Hawaii, Orrall had heard the song before, but thought it was about a bird with special powers and a revered place in Hawaiian legend. On a trip back to the islands, he found out he was wrong.

"One night, I asked a native musician to translate the song for me. The native said it was about a bird like a chicken that, whenever the food ran out, was caught and had its head lopped off and eaten. That's why the drum goes `boom, boom, boom' in the song." He laughed while moving his hands in a chopping motion.

Orrall then discussed the variety of musical talent in the band. "We are all involved with outside projects when we aren't together. Susan (the violinist) has an album about to be released in Europe, and I am working on an instrumental album."

Even though they have separate projects when not on tour, the tour itself can be exciting for the members. Drummer Dave Crawford told of the time the tour bus left him in Birmingham, Ala.

"I was playing pinball, and our tour manager said we had 10 minutes 'til we left. Then he said we had 45 minutes, so I kept on playing," Crawford said. "I ended up hitching a ride with a truck driver to our next show in Jacksonville, Fla."

At the party, Orrall said he hoped this show in Houston would be better than the last. "The last show was like an experiment that went awry. The venue we played at had horrible acoustics, and the crowd was half the size it normally was for Houston."

Orrall had nothing to worry about.