STUDENT DIRECTS MUSIC VIDEO

BY SALLY POUNCY

The Intermediate TV Production (TV2) class got a free show from local band The Fellowship during a student project Tuesday afternoon.

Junior RTV major Michael Falwell plays keyboards for the band and thought doing a music video for his final individual class project was a good idea.

Each of the students in the class had to write, produce and direct their own scripts for a grade.

"I think my project went real well, but it was difficult," he said. "Directing can get confusing."

Falwell was not the only one in The Fellowship who felt a little confused during the taping. "The TV monitor flustered me," conga player Will Space said while relaxing after the taping.

The Fellowship has been together for only four months, but has been playing at Local's every Thursday night for several weeks.

Band members freely admit that one of the main reasons they have such steady work is the connections the band has with club management. One of the members is part-owner.

Not to knock the band; they have played at other venues: Rutgers, Pic n' Pak and Downtown Grounds. They even have recorded a demo tape, but "are just into playing around town," Falwell said.

The video was a learning experience for all the band members, but especially for Falwell.

Class professor Elyse Collins said the project produced a unique problem for students to overcome.

"We (in the class) have not miked a live band in this studio before," she said.

When not teaching, Collins works as a free-lance writer, producer and director of TV projects. She has been involved with broadcasting for 20 years and has won awards for her writing, but loves teaching."I would rather teach than go to an advertising agency," she said.

Collins has nothing but praise for the students in her class. "When a student comes in and does their project right, I feel great," she said.

When something goes wrong, that's fine, too. "I would rather my students make their mistakes in the classroom, not in the real world. Here, we can discuss the problem; out there, no one will tell them what went wrong until they get fired," she said.

Collins is teaching in the RTV department for this semester only, but would like to come back in the fall. Unfortunately, the budget won't allow her to return.

RTV instructor Robert Musburger said the department could afford Collins this semester thanks to two timely grants received by associate professor Carl Ferraro, who was busy with research.

" She was to be his adjunct this semester. Unless we (the RTV department) get more money, she will not be back," Musburger said.

*******************************************************

BUSH PROMISES TO STRENGTHEN AID PROGRAMS

BY COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

It has been four years since George Bush claimed he was going to be the "education president." Though his record since 1988 has been criticized, President Bush has pledged to build financial aid programs and fight political correctness on college campuses if elected this year.

Bush's budget proposal for next year includes a $6.6 billion request

for Pell Grants, a 22 percent increase from 1992. Though he has claimed to oppose entitlements, the president said his proposed Pell Grant allocation provides enough funding for a maximum grant of $3,700, a figure $1,300 higher than this year.

Also in Bush's budget proposal, loan limits on guaranteed student loans are increased, the interest on student loans becomes deductible for federal income tax and no-penalty withdrawals from Individual Retirement Accounts, when funds are used for education, become permissible.

Bush also supports raising the ceiling for Pell Grants to families making up to $50,000 a year.

Bush does not support direct loan proposals. He has said reauthorizing current student loan programs is better than trying to revamp the system with direct loans and has expressed consistent support for broadening the guaranteed student loan programs.

Bush told The Chronicle of Higher Education that he thinks students with good grades should receive larger grants. His proposed "Presidential Achievement Scholarship" would offer $500 to Pell Grant recipients who maintained good grades in high school and college.

"Common sense tells us that tying performance to reward is an effective way to motivate our children to strive for higher achievement," he said.

Bush has said he opposes giving federal financial aid in return for community service, claiming such a tool would "preclude" some students from receiving aid if they could not perform such service.

With regard to political correctness issues, Bush says he adamantly opposes the movement. "On too many campuses, an atmosphere of real intolerance for dissenting or unfashionable political opinions has developed," he said in a White House release, citing speech codes, one-sided curriculum requirements and limited guest lectures as part of the problem.

He expanded on his concern about political correctness in The Chronicle: "It's ironic that at the same time the rest of the world is throwing open its doors -- and universities -- to

democratic values, some U.S. students are being prevented from sampling the wares for a free and open marketplace of ideas.

"Intending to correct past injustices, political correctness all too often has the effect of replacing old prejudices with new ones."

Concerning overall education issues, President Bush has focused attention on his America 2000 initiative and his Head Start programs. By the year 2000, the president said he hopes that every adult American will be literate and have "skills

necessary to compete in a global economy and exercise the rights and responsibilities of citizenship."

Campaign staff for Pat Buchanan, Bush's chief Republican opposition, did not respond to repeated requests for background information on his views on higher education or to requests for an interview with the candidate.

However, Buchanan released the following statement about his views on public education:

"American education is in a state of decline, largely the result of an ever-increasing education bureaucracy, and a lack of competition within the system. From affirmative action in hiring, to busing for racial balance and assaults on uniform, standard testing, too much ideologically motivated experimentation has been inflicted on public schools.

"To revitalize American education, officials need the authority to hire and fire teachers and the flexibility to respond to parental concerns over the curricula. Teachers, administrators and principals who fail to deliver the quality demanded and expected by parents must be held accountable."

COUGARS STRIKE OUT IS SERIES, NEED BETTER BULLPEN TO WIN

BY MARTY HAJOVSKY

The Cougars took a break from Southwest Conference action this week, and it turned into a nightmare.

UH dropped two of four, but perhaps no loss was more typical of how the Coogs' season has gone than the one to UT-San Antonio last Wednesday.

UTSA, who before this season didn't even have a baseball squad, was trailing 6-2 in the seventh in an afternoon game at Cougar Field on April Fools' Day. By the time it was all over, though, there was little doubt as to who the fools were.

After beginning the seventh with two singles and two walks, Cougar hurler Glen Kimble, who came on in relief of starter Justin Dorsey, was replaced by Steve Velasquez. But by then, the barn doors had been opened, and the horses were streaming out.

The Roadrunners tied it up with four in the inning but weren't done yet. UTSA added insult to injury by starting the eighth with three consecutive singles. They then added the two runs they needed to take the midweek contest, 8-6.

And another note I just can't resist. UTSA swept this reporter academically this week. Three days before downing the Cougars, the 'Runners beat my undergraduate alma mater, Trinity University, in a 6-2 decision. I just can't get away from those guys.

Bullpen breakdowns have bothered the Cougars all season, serving to dilute what have been otherwise outstanding starting efforts.

The three starters in SWC action, Wade Williams, Jeff Haas and Jeff Wright, have a combined 11-11 record but with an average 2.68 ERA.

Too often this year, brilliant starting performances have been negated by lackluster outings from the pen.

Overall, the regular Cougar relief corps is 1-4 in SWC action with one save. No wonder that going into this weekend's contest against Rice, UH still looks to have last place all locked up. It's a situation that wouldn't be so certain if the bullpen would just keep from throwing away the key.

One guy who won't be making any cover shots for Glove and Defense magazine is starting shortstop R.D. Long. The junior transfer from Arizona has committed 25 errors in 35 games, good for a .824 fielding percentage. That's more miscues than the rest of the starters combined.

"R.D.'s killing us out there, but we've got to have his bat in the lineup," Houston Coach Bragg Stockton said. "(Jason) Hart's got a better glove, but no range at all."

If Long keeps it up, he'll wind up booting 39 grounders for the season. That's the worst defense we've seen since Desert Storm.

Finally, some good news. Junior centerfielder Phil Lewis came out of this weekend's two-game series with Tulane riding the strength of a 16-game hitting streak.

Lewis has been the one constant for the Coogs this season, hitting .395 (.405 in the SWC). He also has 12 stolen bases, two home runs and 25 RBI's. Each of those totals are good enough to lead the team.

Those numbers earned him a spot on the Houston Chronicle's mid-season All-SWC team, voted on by the sports information directors of each conference school. The SID's were not allowed to vote for players from their own schools.

The best UH pitching performance this week is likely to come from a guy who isn't even on the team anymore. Pittsburgh Pirate Doug Drabek, whose last game for the Coogs was almost a decade ago, was scheduled to start the Bucs' season opener last night against the Montreal Expos.

SESSIONS OFFERED TODAY ON SEXUAL HARASSMENT

BY PAULA NAST

What is sexual harassment? And what responsibilities does the university and its staff have if someone is being harassed?

The Sexual Harassment Policy and Implementation Committee will be holding a series of sexual harassment informational sessions today in the Vista Room of M. D. Anderson Library to answer these and other questions.

"We want to dispel myths," said Dorothy Caram, interim assistant to the president for Affirmative Action, "so that faculty and staff understand the policy the university has," she said. "So we don't have a climate that's sexually harassing to anyone."

The first session was held in the fall of 1991. Since then, there have been 12, and Caram plans on holding more.

She said the ones offered today are for staff and faculty only, but there will be ones in the future for students.

"We would like to hold more sessions, but we are required to have a system attorney present," she said."Like everyone else, the attorneys are overworked. So, we have trouble finding the right times."

Caram said attendance has been good, especially if a supervisor from the department comes to one of the meetings.

"This increases the number of people attending."

If any faculty or staff are interested in attending one of the sessions, contact Dorothy Caram at 743-8834.

LOCAL RADIO STATION TRANSMITS SUPPORT TO HISPANIC STUDENTS

BY MELISSA NEELEY

UH's Hispanic students have another source for much-needed scholarship money, thanks to a local radio station.

Hispanic students make up 44.9 percent of the student population at HISD, but only 9.5 percent of the UH student body.

Frank Cavazos, Hispanic Marketing Consultant for KQQK-106.5FM said he has encountered many people who wanted to go to college, but were prohibited financially.

"Hispanics tend to earn less than other minorities," Cavazos said. "Making more money available from different resources to give to students from low-income families will give them an opportunity to go to school when they might never have had the chance."

To help remedy the problem, KQQK gave $2,000 to UH's Concilio de Organizaciones Chicanas, in conjunction with Mexican-American Studies, for distribution to Hispanic students. The Spanish-speaking radio station wanted to give something back to the community it serves, Cavazos said.

"I thought that since we are a Hispanic radio station, we should get involved in projects like this instead of just concerts, for example," he said. "I grew up in the (Rio Grande) Valley, and I know what it means to struggle, so at least we're making a difference for some people."

The scholarship money was raised at a benefit in Lynn Eusan Park last September. During the event, then-Mayor Kathy Whitmire presented computers to two HISD students who won a station-sponsored essay -- "If I were mayor, what would I do to keep kids in school and off drugs?"

Another benefit to raise money for UH's Hispanic student population is in its formative stages, Cavazos said. If plans work out, the event will be held at Hofheinz Pavilion sometime next fall, he said.

Cavazos, a UH graduate and a former vice president of Concilio, said he hopes the donation will have a domino effect.

Although one organization can't do much to help students, as more get involved, a positive change will occur, he said.

"I'm just glad that I'm involved in this program since it will continue to help people long after I'm not involved any more," Cavazos said.

NORWEGIAN TRACK ATHLETES RECEIVE A WARM RECEPTION

BY MEAGAN MCGOVERN

Houston high school students and youth from Norway competed Tuesday in a track-and-field meet at UH's Robertson Stadium.

The event was part of an exchange between Stavanger, Norway, and its sister cities, Houston and Galveston.

Stavanger Festival '92 is a six-day series of events sponsored by Houston-Galveston/Stavanger Sister City Society. For the last 10 years, the society has sponsored exchange festivals every other year. Two years ago, American athletes competed in Norway.

Several well-known athletes attended the meet, including UH's Leroy Burrell.

"I think it's neat. There's a need for more sports exchanges. This gives kids a chance to compete in different circumstances, in different settings. The Norwegians got to compete in great weather -- it's real cold over there now. I think everyone had a great time," he said.

The American athletes were selected from various local high schools, but due to the scheduling of many district competitions in the public schools this week, only one public school, Stratford, was able to attend. Private schools, including St. Thomas, St. Johns, Kincaid and Episcopal, were all represented, said Ritchie Mercado, head track coach at St. Johns.

The Norwegian athletes were selected by a competition of the best athletes in local track-and-field clubs, said Wenche Kristensen, a Norwegian competitor.

Kristensen said none of the students are competing on behalf of schools; she said the visit was productive.

"I'm glad we have a friendship with sister cities. We can learn a lot about each other. We've all been looking forward to this for a long time."

Kristensen said Houston was different from what the exchange students were led to expect.

"We were told to be real conservative, to not wear short shorts, or low tops. When we got here, though, all of the Americans were wearing short shorts," she said. "The only thing they were right about is that girls don't go topless on beaches here."

Harlad Figved, the leader of the Norwegian team, said team members were satisfied with the meet.

"The students are very happy, the host families are good and the youngsters in Norway and in America can learn a lot about each other," he said.

Although Mercado said the festival is "just for fun," three festival alumni are expected to represent their countries at the 1992 summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain.

"Even though it's not our track season, we try to make it competitive," Kristensen said.

Figved agrees. "We play to win."

The talents of the two groups appeared about evenly matched, with the results of all the events split just about 50-50, Figved said.

"This is hard work, though. Some athletes must compete in four events in one day," he said.

FOUR-CAMPUS CAMPAIGN ON ROAD TO SUCCESS

UH SYSTEM DRIVE TO RAISE MILLIONS 60 PERCENT COMPLETE AFTER THREE YEARS

BY REBECCA PRESTON

The UH Creative Partnerships Campaign has achieved almost 60 percent of its goal of collecting $350 million in contributions to support the UH System.

Funds from the campaign, which officially began in September of 1989, will contribute to undergraduate studies, advanced research and community service.

John Scales, UH System vice chancellor for institutional advancement, said about 40 percent of the $203 million received so far has ben from individuals.

Alumni John and Rebecca Moores have pledged more that $50 million since the start of the campaign. Their highly publicized donations to UH are the largest ever made to a public university by private individuals.

"There is a tremendous chemistry among the donors in what they were able to accomplish together," scales said. "The feeling is that we've all done something important as individuals and collectively, we've really made an impact. That combined level of giving makes them a part of something really big."

Richard Levy, director of communication for the UH System, calls the campaign a "quantum leap" in fund-raising.

"In the mid- to late-'80s, the Board of Regents generated some extremely sophisticated approaches to fund-raising," he said. "The idea behind the campaign is that this is a partnership between the four UH universities (campuses) and the people of the greater metropolitan area."

Scales said the campaign follows a pattern of fund-raising that has existed for a long time in private institutions, but is new to public universities.

"With the tightening of state dollars, we have recognized the importance of calling on the private sector," Scales said.

The campaign, which started with an initial gift of $30 million from the Cullen Foundation, has garnered ongoing financial support from corporations and individuals.

Three Houston-based companies, Conoco, Enron and Tenneco, have committed a total gift of $7.2 million in multi-year gifts to the campaign, with Tenneco and Enron committed $2.5 million each and Connoco pledging $2.2 million.

Contributions form Conoco have been designated for the UH Calculus program for Minority Students, the library, and a development program for minority faculty.

Enron has designated its funding for the UH Center for Public Policy and to establish a teaching excellence awards program. Both Conoco and Enron have also specified monies form their pledges for the UH's Texas Center for Superconductivity.

Tenneco's contribution is for the Campaign Priorities fund, which allows the four UH System universities to distribute funds in accordance with their unmet needs.

GREEN MOVEMENT TAKING ROOT ON COLLEGE CAMPUSES

BY COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

The Greens, an environmentally and socially conscious European political movement, is taking root on college campuses throughout the United States, attracting students with a brand of activism emphasizing a positive outlook on the future.

As many as 150 college and university campuses in 20 states, from Virginia to Hawaii, are home to Green chapters, said Jason Kirkpatrick, a junior at Humboldt State University in Arcata, Calif., and national coordinator for the Campus Green Network.

"It's the largest, worldwide movement that we've seen in the last generation that has a focus on the environment and social justice," Kirkpatrick said. "Young Greens exist in 20 different countries. We even have a chapter in Kenya."

The growth of campus Greens in the United States began in the mid-1980s, shortly after the Greens of West Germany stunned their countrymen by winning a substantial number of seats in that nation's Parliament.

In the United States, the Greens appeal to students through the issues they support and their philosophy of the future.

"The Greens present a positive, sustainable plan for the future," said Brian Hagemann, 28, a graduate student and member of the Green chapter at the University of Cincinnati.

Like other students, Hagemann became involved with the Greens out of a disenchantment with other mainstream groups, like the Republican and Democratic parties.

Kirkpatrick, 23, said the Greens encourage young people to take active leadership roles.

One of the issues that most attracts and involves student Greens is environmental preservation.

For example, at California State University, Northridge, a small group of student Greens gained respect late last year with a successful effort to save the campus orange grove, one of the few, original orange groves remaining in the San Fernando Valley.

"There had been proposals to tear it down and turn it into a parking lot," said Fabio Escobar, 21, a member of the university's Greens. Escobar and other Greens headed a campus drive to gather nearly 1,000 student signatures protesting the idea. The university later scrapped the plan.

However, it's not always easy being a Green. Too often, people believe the group is focused only on environmental issues. "With the name Greens, it's a source of confusion," Hagemann said.

In fact, the Greens are involved in a variety of other issues, particularly those that involve social justice, campaign and military reform, rights for minorities, gays, lesbians and senior citizens and abortion rights. Many of these issues attract women, who comprise more than 50 percent of Greens nationwide.

At the University of Cincinnati, Hagemann and his fellow Greens took aim at the impact Christopher Columbus' arrival had on American Indians. Working with another group, Hagemann said the Greens named the campus a "Christopher Columbus Myth-Free Zone" and called "for UC to critically think about its approach to Columbus' 500th anniversary" of his expedition to the Americas.

"It's not a celebration for everyone," Hagemann said.

In another example of social justice, which affects the pocketbooks of students, Escobar and his fellow Greens at California State University, Northridge, are battling a proposed 40 percent fee hike for CSU students.

Escobar recently traveled to Sacramento to present state lawmakers with banners of butcher paper on which hundreds of students scrawled messages protesting the fee hike.

Kirkpatrick said California has thousands of student Greens, a sizable chunk of the political movement, which has grown to more than 100,000 members nationwide.

If the group grows to more than 200,000 members by the end of the year, as some high-level Greens believe, it will surpass the American Independent Party as the third- largest party in the state.

Escobar is one such person who is confident that the Greens will only continue to grow, particularly on college campuses.

"We believe (our) values ... have a very large audience," Escobar said. "We want to give those values a political voice."

BRITISH BAND DOESN'T WANT FAME

BY REBECCA MCPHAIL

The Wedding Present is not afraid to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Since their inception in the mid-'80s, the band has pushed their music in a myriad of directions, often changing sound mid-stream and leaving a legion of confused fans in their wake.

UH students will have a chance to see the Wedding Present at the Perpetual Park Party from noon to midnight April 17.

The British quartet includes guitarist Paul Dorrington, bassist Keith Gregory, drummer Simon Smith and singer/songwriter David Gedge.

According to Gedge, the decision to form a band was an obvious one.

"I've been in groups all of my life, but there came a point when I decided to get serious. I knew a few people who played guitar, so we got together and made a single," he said.

The single led to the recording of the band's first album, George Best, in 1987, named after the European soccer star who appears on the cover.

With then-guitarist Pete Solowka's jangling melodies and Gedge's sing-song performance, the band drew instant comparisons to another English quartet, The Smiths.

Gedge feels these comparisons are unfounded.

"I don't think we sound like The Smiths. We're used to it though.

"If I wrote down the number of different bands we've been compared to, it would take several hours.

"In fact, each member of the band has a different taste in music and was influenced by different people. That's why I don't think we sound like anyone else," Gedge said.

The Wedding Present pulled an abrupt about-face when it came time to record their second album, a compilation of traditional Ukranian folk songs.

"We wanted to do something completely different. Peter has Ukranian parents and was influenced by their music, so we decided to have a go at that. We ended up learning a few weird instruments," Gedge said.

The resulting album, Ukrainski Vistupi v Johna Peela, received mixed reviews. Fans of the first album were not quite sure how to react to songs awash in the foreign sounds of mandolins and balalaikas.

"It would be fair to call the reviews mixed," Gedge said. "The response was 50-50. Some people thought it was great, and some people thought we were wasting our time."

The band's third album, Bizarro, released in 1989, brought the band back to its atmospheric pop roots. However, the jangling guitars had been traded for a heavier, brooding sound.

Gedge said the band's evolution was inevitable.

"We tried to change the sound as much as possible. It just got bigger, and we kept expanding on it," Gedge said, "We've tried to add more layers and more guitar."

The Wedding Present's latest album, Seamonsters, has carried on in the same tradition.

The album's non-existent liner notes are regarded curiously by the band's fans.

"I don't feel comfortable putting the lyrics on the sleeve. It makes it seem like they're poetry, which it is not. It's the general theme of the song that matters," he said.

The Wedding Present is currently touring the United States in support of their latest album. This is not the first time the band has visited the United States.

"We did one U.S. tour two years ago. This, however, is the biggest and most comprehensive," Gedge said.

Although many artists complain about the rigors of the road, Gedge does not see it as a problem.

"I feel presumptuous calling it grueling. If I was a miner or a nurse, it would be justified, but traveling around the country, meeting people and playing my guitar is not grueling," he said.

Although the band is far more popular in the United Kingdom, Gedge is not eager to become a U.S. superstar any time soon.

"I couldn't care less, to be honest," he said. "I didn't start the group to conquer the world. If we are successful in the U.S., it'll be nice to make a lot of money and travel around talking to people."

HOGS MUSIC IS INDESCRIBABLE

BY GRAM GEMOETS

The Electric Love Hogs can only be described as a whirling dervish of power and big-beat metallics. Their head-banging debut is sure to make your hair fly and send your head splintering into a thousand pieces.

What the Love Hogs have done on their self-titled debut on London/PLG Records is to graft the high-energy intensity of punk rock with the technical power of speed metal. Added to this is one of the funkiest bass throbs I have ever heard.

What distinguishes the Love Hogs from other hip-hop groups is their five-way musical democracy. Instead of letting one person hog the microphone and the headlines, they all openly feast upon the swill of the front stage.

"We all contribute equally, and we all share the prevailing parts," guitarist David Kushner said.

In fact, this band is so in-your-face that you can't help acknowledging them as a severe musical presence. I was swept by the impact of their sound the first time I heard any of their work.

The music was indescribable ... let me tell you about it.

"Tribal Monkey," the opening track on the album, is an animalistic romp that bassist Kelly LeMieux describes as "going to the zoo and seeing monkeys hurl their own feces."

"Disappointment" is groovy. It has a driving, in-your-face, four-on-the-floor beat. It's also interlaced with some down-to-earth lyrics such as, "I don't have to die for love; it will be gone, and I will still be here."

But don't let these heart-felt lyrics trick you. The rest of the album rings with an intensely anti-social, sarcastic nature. The Hogs are bold enough to mock everything and everybody.

In fact, the whole album exhibits an uncontrollable energy best suited for a mosh pit.

The second-prize winner is "Keep Getting Up." Again, the song has a strong dance beat, but it is definitely not top-10 material.

Their larger-than-life, comic-book lyrics, penned by lead singer John Feldmann, won't incite a riot at your next party, but they will certainly grab attention.

These five guys are on a seek-and-destroy mission aimed at changing the pop-oriented view of the typical high-profile group. Instead of earthy ballads, top-10 or even the ever-dreaded rap, these guys have their own unique and, as of yet, untitled sound. This is a refreshing change from the all-too-easily labeled recording artists of today.

"I Feel Like Steve" deals with mixed feelings about family conflicts. Don't expect any emotional confessions in this tune. On the contrary, it's the group's censorship song.

It's about a father who goes through his son's record collection, taking out any that deal with sex or rebellion.

"Pud" is about a lazy, club-going goon who can't keep anything straight because of all the drugs and booze in his life. (This echoes characteristics of your typical Numbers patron.)

The Electric Love Hogs are rooted in San Diego, where the band has played together since they were 15. They moved to L.A. to try cracking into the local club scene.

This move was a bold step in establishing the group's arrogant tradition. They wanted to change club music by themselves.

"I thought the people on the L.A. scene weren't playing music for music, but for drugs, sex and money," drummer Bobby Fernandez said. "I said the hell with that, and we rocked.

The group built a local following, including drummer Tommy Lee, who ended up producing a pair of tracks ("Sittin' Pretty" and "Just Another Day"). Other contributors to the album include Mark Dodsonm (Anthrax) and Stephen Perkins (Jane's Addiction).

With a following like this, it was hard to get "discovered," recounted guitarist Donny Campion.

Publicity suits the group just fine. Where else can someone be paid for releasing pent-up, adolescent frustrations by jumping around and singing?

I must admit that this band shows talent. In fact, Electric Love Hogs is one of the best new releases to come out of London records in a while.

The band even has its own guarantee: "Get into 'em --you'll be as happy as a pig in #*!! when you do!"

BROWN'S TRACK RECORD SHOWS HIGH STANDARD FOR EDUCATION

BY COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

Presidential candidate Edmund G. "Jerry" Brown claims he accomplished a great deal in higher education while he was governor of California.

During his administration, which started in 1972, Brown nearly doubl-

ed the funding for state universities and community colleges, and tripled money devoted to equal opportunity programs.

"I called for higher standards in high school, requiring three years of math and two years of science for graduates, with even more stringent requirements for the college-bound," he said in a statement from his campaign office. "This led the California State and University systems to raise entrance requirements in math."

Now that he is running for the Democratic presidential nomination, the former governor has vowed to abolish the

Department of Education.

"It is a massive bureaucratic waste," he said. "It educates no student."

Brown said the savings from eliminating the department "should be returned to the states to improve classroom instruction."

Brown also said federal grants to college students are better than loans.

"What we're seeing is almost an invisible disease that is turning students into long-term, almost- lifelong debtors," he said.

In response to a United States Student Association questionnaire, Brown said he supported raising the maximum Pell Grant amount to $4,500 and expanding eligibility for Pell Grants to students from families with incomes between $30,000 and $50,000.

"As a nation, we ought to make the commitment that anyone who can make the grade and fulfill the academic requirements ought to get the financial assistance to attend," he said.

In order to generate funds for increased grants, Brown told USSA he would "institute a flat tax and amnesty, cut government spending and shift funds, including substantial funds currently budgeted for the military, to education."

Also in the USSA survey, Brown said he would support House Resolution 271 and Senate Resolution 236, which ask the president to rescind the Department of Defense policy barring lesbians, gays and bisexuals from military service.

Because students frequently utilize the military as a means to pay for college, the issue has come to the forefront on campuses nationwide.

Brown also advocates the introduction of sophisticated technology to the classroom. "There ought to be a computer on every student's desk in America," he said.

EXPLOSION IN BRENHAM KILLS ONE, INJURES 14

BY RHONDA HECTOR

Residents of Brenham, Texas, got all shook up when a liquified petroleum gas pipeline leading to a salt dome storage facility exploded Tuesday.

The explosion, which rattled windows as far away as Baytown, occurred at about 7:10 a.m., killing a 6-year-old child and injuring many others.

The explosion resulted when a propane gas leak was ignited by an unknown source, scorching houses as far as a mile away.

Jean Claude Bremaecker, a seismologist at Rice University, said the explosion was equal to that of 20 tons of dynamite and measured a 4.5 on the Richter Scale.

A salt dome is a naturally occurring, self-sealing structure, that, when water washes through it, forms a bubble-like storage container.

"Dropping one flint rock on another could have made it (the salt dome) explode," Elbert King, UH geology professor, said. "All it takes is one spark. It is very easy to ignite."

The youngster was killed when the trailer home where he lived was leveled by the explosion's force. His mother was taken to Hermann Hospital with cuts and burns.

Of the 14 injured, three others were taken to Hermann: a grandmother, her grandson and her daughter. The 3-year-old child has burns covering 40 percent of his body while the women, one 49 and the other 27, have burns over 50 percent of their bodies.

All four patients are in critical but stable condition, a hospital spokesperson said.

Six houses in the Brenham-Industry area, near Farm Road 109, were completely leveled, and about 50 others were heavily damaged.

"I heard a loud boom, like thunder, and then my entire house trembled, and the windows were shaking. It felt like an earthquake," said Margaret Hoover, staff member at Texas A & M University.

"I ran outside in a panic, and all my neighbors were already in the street; even the pets were panicking."

King said, "Normally, they (salt domes) are pretty safe to store flammable things in, unless they develop a leak. It's a balloon-like structure that rises up from a salt bed, like a bubble through water, until its density balances out against the density of the sedimentary rock."

Texas Gov. Ann Richards immediately dispatched the Emergency Management Preparedness Team to survey the area and "to determine if there is anything they need from us (the state of Texas)," Richards said.

"I think at this point, it's important to keep them in our prayers, especially those that were injured and the family that lost a child," Richards said.

Richards is not planning on visiting the explosion site.