UH TRACK TEAM GOES TO CALI

BY COUGAR SPORTS SERVICES

The Houston Cougar track team is heading to Los Angeles for the running of the UCLA Triangular on Saturday.

The team will compete against UCLA and Cal State-Northridge.

The Cougars will look to bounce back from a disappointing showing at the 65th Texas Relays. However, there were some outstanding individual performances.

The women's 4x400 relay team of De'Angelia Johnson, Drexel Long, Cecelia Crockett and Michele Collins broke a seven-year-old school record by running a 3:32.62 in the finals to capture first place.

The old school record of 3:34.05 was set in 1985 at the SWC Championships in Austin.

The men's team in the 4x1500 relay took second place with a time of 15:41.02.

*******************************************************

`TEXAS' MUSIC PERFECTED BY UH SINGER

BY CHUCK BELL

This Saturday, there will be no eardrum-splitting, ultra-distorted electric guitar at Anderson Fair, a local nightspot.

There will be no high-pitched wailing from metal-heads. No mindless, primitive rhythms or over-synthesized, techno-pop keyboard players.

Instead, UH student Kimberly M'Carver will sit on stage and quietly sing what one critic called real songs about real people. A few of her friends may even sit in to help a little.

M'Carver is a senior in anthropology and a singer/songwriter. She is enjoying the success of her first album, Breathe The Moonlight, and is preparing to record a second for Rounder Records.

She believes in being true to herself and the music. "You can't compromise," she said. "That's what made Rounder sign me. I don't know how many records I've sold, and I don't want to know. That's not why I'm doing it. If I get a check from the record company, I just put it in the bank."

M'Carver's music is sometimes classified as folk, and sometimes country. "I would just rather it be called acoustic," she said. "That kind of leaves the door wide open." Whatever it is, critics say her music is pure Texas.

M'Carver said it was her love for animals and American Indians that sparked her interest in anthropology. That love is reflected in her music and involvement with many animal-rights organizations.

"I have taken the timber wolf as a sort of kindred spirit," she said. "It's my publishing logo and also appears as my shadow on the cover of the first album. I think the wolf is sometimes misunderstood, and I can really identify with that."

She said a lot of people in the northeastern United States enjoy Texas music, but they think she's from Austin. "I don't think Houston has near enough of a name as it should," she said. "For Houston to be appreciated outside of Texas, the people have got to play outside of Texas."

M'Carver is doing her part, though. Besides Anderson Fair, next month, she'll be traveling to the Kerrville Folk Festival, and she'll be playing at the American Roots Festival at Lincoln Center in New York this summer.

M'Carver also plans to tour Europe next year and play the Cambridge Folk Festival in England.

M'Carver was born in Mesquite (a suburb of Dallas) and grew up listening to people like Nance Griffith and Roger King.

"There was a lot of really cool music stuff back then," she said.

She went to UT-Austin to study music in 1976, stayed a few years, then lost interest.

M'Carver said she disagreed with the UT curriculum, which was focused on teaching or opera singing. "You don't study anything but classical music."

She moved to Houston eight years ago and sang in Top 40 cover-bands.

M'Carver said she got tired of being asked to sing Madonna songs and began performing her own music in 1986. Since then, she has gone to school at UH and is happy to be graduating in May.

As is the case with all forms of music, however, not everyone will like what you do. M'Carver doesn't always succeed in pleasing everyone. "You have to bare your soul," she said. "It's hard to sing something intimate and people not like it. But if you're in it for the long haul, you have to put that aside.

"Rosanne Cash said you have to have the soul of a poet and the skin of a rhinoceros. Her point is, `If you're happy with your performance, then chances are, the listeners will be too. If they aren't, then at least someone is happy.'"

KLINGLER ADDS SPORTSMANSHIP AWARD TO LONG LIST OF HONORS

BY COUGAR SPORTS SERVICES

Former Cougar quarterback David Klingler, who set or tied 51 NCAA and over 100 SWC records during his three-year tenure with UH, has been named the 42nd annual recipient of the Fort Worth Kiwanis Club SWC Sportsmanship Award.

Named in honor of Ray McCulloch, a Fort Worth Kiwanian and long-time SWC football official, the Sportsmanship Award honors an outstanding SWC football student-athlete who has distinguished himself among fellow players, coaches and game officials.

McCulloch helped originate the kudo after a 1949 Arkansas-SMU football game. Irate Arkansas fans stormed the field after a hard-fought SMU win over the Razorbacks, but the Arkansas team formed a protective barrier around the game officials and helped them leave the field safely.

McCulloch and his fellow Kiwanians were so impressed by this show of sportsmanship that the award was given for the first time after the 1950 season.

Players are nominated for the honor by SWC game officials, SWC head coaches and permanent team captains. Winners are selected by the Fort Worth Kiwanis Club.

Klingler passed for an SWC record 9,340 yards, was chosen 1990-91 SWC Male Athlete of the Year, was fifth in 1990 Heisman Trophy balloting and was a finalist for the Johnny Unitas and Davey O'Brien quarterback awards.

COUGARS LOOKING FOR WINS, REVENGE AGAINST RICE

BY KEITH ROLLINS

Look for revenge to play a big part in the Cougars' upcoming three-game series against Rice this weekend.

The Owls swept the Cougars in three close games in their last series one month ago, leaving bitter tastes in the players' mouths.

Since then, the bats, arms and gloves have come alive, pulling the team out of last place and creating a hopeful, but vengeful attitude leading into the series against Rice at Cougar Field.

"We want to beat them and beat them bad. We do not want to look bad against our hometown rivals. Most of all, we need the wins to get us back into the Southwest Conference race," said Phil Lewis, centerfielder and current SWC batting leader at .405.

The series will be a strong indication of the Cougars' chances of making the cut for the NCAA Tournament this season. In fact, players believe it is make-or-break-it time.

"If we don't win two out of three, it will break us in the conference. If we win, we will still be in it," senior Chris Tremie said.

That statement may sound pessimistic, but Tremie also said he "would bet his last dollar that the Cougars will win two out of three against Rice."

Because of the team's past defeats, due mostly to pitching woes and injuries, the Cougars have lost a series to almost everyone, prompting the "payback time" attitude.

"As far as I'm concerned, we have put ourselves in a position to have revenge against everyone we play," said Greyson Liles, the hottest Cougar hitter.

The pitching staff, lead by Jeff Haas, will have to flourish on the mound against the over-confident Owls for any possible outlook of victory.

Probable starters for the games will be left-hander Haas and right-hander Wade Williams in Saturday's double-header. Friday night's starter will likely be Jason Hart, who is replacing the injured Jeff Wright.

From the pitcher's standpoint, things are starting to look a lot better compared to the unsupportive offense they received early on in the season.

"They are starting to hit the ball really well lately. As long as we can keep the other team's score down, the batting has a chance to pull through," Williams said.

Williams knows the consequences of a feeble offense. He was the unluckiest pitcher March 7 against Rice, holding the Owls for 11 innings without a hit, only to gain a no-decision when Hart lost the game in the 12th inning.

Morale is high on the team, and that attitude should provide entertaining games.

"There's no doubt that we will be up for the games. The biggest challenge is not being too up because we get all tense and uptight; I've seen us do that.

"We just need to get the pitching with the defense, with the base-running, with the bunting and with the hitting, and put all the aspects together for these three games," Head Coach Bragg Stockton said.

SOCCER TEAM MAY RECEIVE PROBATION FOR MARCH BRAWL

BY LESTER SAUCIER

And you thought European soccer was serious.

The UH soccer club team played a knock-down-drag-out game on March 28 against Southwest Texas State University. After two fights, two ejections and several heated verbal exchanges, the referee abandoned the game.

The UH team neglected to inform Reggie Riley, coordinator of club sports, about the game and may face unfavorable consequences.

"The team will probably be on probation for not informing me," Riley said.

He said if he had been immediately informed, the disciplinary actions might not have been so drastic.

According to several UH team members, the SWT team had a bad attitude going into the game.

John DeMeritt, who plays the defensive position of stopper, said the SWT team was "a bunch of hackers," meaning the team puts much of its focus on steals, promoting an abundance of inadvertent shin-kicking.

"It just started out as a really physical game," DeMeritt said.

The first incident occurred between UH center forward Zach Lewis and SWT player Chad Ellis after a penalty call.

"Chad ran into Zach, or they ran into each other. Zach pushed off Chad, and he (Chad) retaliated with a punch. Then they both started swinging," said Ricky Mtchell, captain and coach of the SWT team.

"I turned to run and didn't see him, and I knocked him down," Lewis said. "I guess he thought I did it on purpose."

He said a few plays later, he felt a hit on the right side of his face. "He (Ellis) blindsided me," he said.

DeMeritt said the referee did not see the punch but did see the pushing contest that followed. Both players received yellow cards, or warning penalties.

"They kept arguing and got thrown out of the game," DeMeritt said.

The other altercation happened when Mitchell, playing a forward position, made an approach on the UH goal.

"I was picking up the ball, and he cleated me. He had time to avoid me, but didn't," UH goalkeeper Gehan Swaminathan said.

This prompted another UH player, Marcello Granada, to approach, and another fiasco erupted.

At this point, the referee called the game because of the ongoing skirmishes. Swaminathan said Mitchell was apologetic after the game.

The excitement did not stop there.

According to UH Assistant Coach George Gall, Ellis started roaming around the UH side of the field.

"I think (he was on our side) intentionally," Lewis said. He said he saw it as a taunt, and the two ended up facing off again.

Mitchell said Ellis was picking up cones on the UH side of the field after the game, and "Zach jumped on his back."

Mitchell said he reported the game to the University Association and filed a game report and a fight report to the Recreational Sports Representative at SWT.

"We suspended Chad for two games and put him on probation, and the school suspended us from playing Lamar University and Houston Community College," he said.

The SWT team is waiting to see if it will be allowed to play in the conference tournament at the end of the season.

Riley has not yet decided on the actions he will take against the UH team, he said.

GET A TASTE OF L.A. LAW WITH AUCTION

BY RHONDA HECTOR

A visit with Corbin Bernsen on the set of L.A. Law is among the items to be auctioned at the 16th annual UH Law Center Benefit and Auction Gala.

The event will begin at 7 p.m. on Saturday at the Westin Oaks Galleria.

The theme this year -- Hollywood and the Media -- will feature Richard Alderman, the "People's Lawyer," as celebrity auctioneer.

Alderman is featured on KPRC-TV Channel 2 news in a segment called "Know Your Rights" and is a professor at the UH Law Center.

Other items to be auctioned are a barbecue for 25 at the Smith & Conner Ranch and a flight in a 1942 Boeing Stearman Biplane.

Donations of $2,500 and $5,000 are being accepted for tables of 10, depending on whether you want to be an underwriter or a sponsor. Individual tickets are available for $250 each.

"Our law school has done a good job of fostering loyalty and interest from its alumni," said Robert Pittsford, law school alumnus and co-chair of the event. "We keep them informed and tap their concern about the quality of the law school and its ongoing health."

Eight donations of $5,000 and 15 donations of $2,500 have been collected.

This year, a portion of the money raised will go to the Law Library.

"The library is the laboratory of a law school," Dean Robert Knauss said. "Drastic cuts in state financing make the auction fund-raising even more important this year."

Last year, the event raised $159,423 for the center.

"It all goes to the Law Foundation, in an unrestricted account, to support the law school for student and faculty programs," said Sandra Rider Perdue, director of communications at the center.

In addition to the auction, there will be dinner and dancing to the sounds of the Harry Sheppard Big Band.

SFAC RECOMMENDS SLIGHT HIKE

BY CROSBY KING

After weeks of hearings and deliberations, the Student Fee Advisory Committee has recommended a slight increase in student fees to cover its suggested funding for student service units.

On Wednesday, SFAC finalized its report, which included recommending that the cap on student service fees be raised to $94 for the fall and spring semesters.

"This committee agreed generally that any increase should be the smallest possible increase," said SFAC member Robert Judy, instructor of electrical electronics.

Some units fared better than others after SFAC heard their requests. Members were sympathetic with Counseling and Testing spokespersons when they told of their perpetual underfunding and the need for more staff. CTS/Counseling Services' base budget was boosted by more than $72,000.

Other winners included the Metropolitan Volunteer Program and Handicapped Student Services. SFAC recommended MVP receive its $23,418 request, most of which is earmarked for wages and advertising.

LLoyd Jacobson, director of MVP, said the number of participants in his group nearly doubled this year. He said for this fiscal year, MVP includes about 700 active volunteers who take part in special events and continuous activities. Most events, such as tutoring programs, take place off campus.

Campus Activities and Student Publications also fared well in the deliberations, receiving almost all of the $320,668 and $ they requested, respectively.

Blaffer Gallery came away as one of the few losers in the quest for money. SFAC recommended it get only $5,250 of the $13,550 it requested for various expenses.

SFAC chairman Daniel Lurvey said the gallery's mission was to serve the entire Houston community, not just UH, so student service fees should not be its sole source of funding.

Because of an agreement with the UH administration, intercollegiate athletics continues to receive 35 percent of all student service fees.

Even though the board cannot change the funding for athletics, it reworded the recommendation for that unit. In their final statement, the committee wrote that they feel athletics' slice of the pie should be reduced when the current policy expires in 1999.

The final report will now go to acting UH President James Pickering and Vice President for Student Affairs Elwyn Lee. Lurvey said Lee would make some additional recommendations, and Pickering would probably return to the board for a last discussion about the changes. Final approval for the report will come from the Board of Regents.

Lurvey said he thinks the recommendations have been well-received so far, and he doesn't anticipate any major changes.

BERGER WINS HONORS FOR WORK IN THEATER

BY REBECCA MCPHAIL

If all the world's a stage, then UH Drama Department Chair Sidney Berger is a diplomat of the highest order.

Berger is to be honored May 17 with Musicfest's highest award.

The presentation for Berger's contributions to education in the field of theater arts will take place during the annual Musicfest Gala on Sunday, May 17, at the Ritz Carlton Hotel.

Berger began his career in New York as a struggling professional actor, but he quickly became disillusioned.

"I had a real problem with acting in New York as a professional because I felt that you had to sell yourself so much of the time that your ability and training seemed almost secondary to getting the job. It was a mentality that I found very difficult to live with," he said.

This difficulty prompted a move to the University of Kansas where Berger became the first student to receive a Ph.D. in theater. A trip to Europe on the school's bill and a directing stint at the university's theater convinced him of the merits of theater in a collegiate setting.

"It made me feel that I could combine a professional set of standards while working in a fairly secure environment, meaning I could have a family and a wife and actually make a decent living doing what I love the most without thinking that I had to live in a garret and starve to death," he said.

After an unhappy time teaching at Michigan State, Berger moved to UH in 1969.

During his tenure, he has witnessed the evolution of the UH Drama Department.

"The course of the evolution of this department has been to blend more professionals into the department, to expect professional standards from the students and to create a conservatory atmosphere in which students are being trained to live in the real world of theater," he said.

However, Berger's activities in the theater have not been limited to the university.

In 1975, after watching ballet and music performances at the Miller Outdoor Theater, he formed the Houston Shakespeare Festival.

"I saw that there was a huge hole in the programming, and that was the spoken-word drama," he said.

Although he was warned not to expect much enthusiasm from the community, the first plays were a resounding success.

"We had crowds of eight and nine thousand for single performances, and the case was proven. We had a huge audience for this," he said.

Three years later, Berger shifted to a different audience and founded the Children's Theater Festival.

"I founded the Children's Festival when nobody was writing for children. I wondered where the theater audience for the next generation was going to come from. If they're addicted to television and film, who is going to come to the theater?"

Not content to show the standard children's fare, Berger commissioned well-known authors to pen original works for the festival. According to Berger, the writers were eager to help.

"Inside each writer is that deep need to get to a young audience," he said.

In an attempt to unify educational and professional theater, Berger is currently serving as an associate artist at the Alley Theatre.

"I've always regarded the Alley as our theater, the theater of the community and the city. I think we are responsible for it," he said.

Berger's work at the Alley has included a stint as director of both Frankie and Johnny in the Claire De Lune and, most recently, T Bone N Weasel.

Yet, for all of his outside activities, UH's Drama Department remains Berger's top priority.

"We're trying to lead this department into the forefront of a new way of creating theater in this country on a professional level because I don't think professional performance should be apart from conservatory training," he said.

Proceeds from ticket sales to the Musicfest Gala will be donated to the Musicfest Scholarship Fund, benefitting the graduating seniors of the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts.

NATIONAL COMIC TO APPEAR AT UH

BY MICHAEL D. OESER

From doing stand-up in front of flame-drinking loggers in Canada to his own Home Box Office (HBO) special, comedian Jake Johannsen has come a long way.

Johannsen will amuse UH students with his witty anecdotes at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 15, in the UC's Houston Room. His visit is sponsored by the Student Program Board and Rice radio station KTRU-91.7.

Johannsen said his interest in comedy started around the mid-1970s when Saturday Night Live started.

"That was kind of when it first came on (SNL), and Steve Martin and Robin Williams were popular then. I was kind of inspired by those guys, and I decided to give it a try," he said.

His comedy has been described as positive, and he said this perception probably stems from his natural personality and his efforts to stay true to himself.

"I'm not a guy with a lot of bravado, and I guess I still do al- right," he said.

One of the more noticeable elements of Johannsen's style is his broken, halted delivery.

"I think it came from the first time I went on stage, and I was so nervous, I could barely talk. I think I kind of kept some of that," he said.

Johannsen started his comic career right after a stint at Iowa State University, where he had a variety of majors.

"First it was pre-vet. Then it was chemical engineering, and then it was advertising and copy-writing," he said.

Since then, Johannsen said he has worked his way up.

During one of his worst experiences, he said it took two ferries and 10 hours to reach the place he was to perform for the next three days.

"It was mostly people who looked like they had just come in from their logging camps. There were these big guys with mustaches, drinking these flaming drinks without putting them out. There was no point during the show where less than three people were shouting at us or each other," he said.

But Johannsen said his best memory from his upward-bound career is from his recent HBO specials.

"It's a lot of fun to fly somewhere, and all the cameras are there," he said.

Johannsen also has had many appearances on Late Night with David Letterman and The Tonight Show. He also played at the "Ford's Theater Gala," a presidential benefit.

Johannsen's special guest will be "Yo J," winner of last year's Certs Comedy Competition at UH.

Tickets are $3 for UH and Rice students and $5 for non-students.

NEUTRAL CAMPUS INVITES NO TOP CONTENDERS IN BIG RACE

BY MEAGAN MCGOVERN

With a heated presidential race going on, and candidates popping up for appearances at campuses across the United States, why has UH been vetoed?

Because the university didn't invite them to speak, said Eric Miller, director of Media Relations.

"As a state-supported and state-funded institution, we can't appear to favor any candidates. So as an institution, we don't invite any candidates to speak. In 1988, the College Republicans hosted Dan Quayle, but they took care of everything -- hosting, making reservations and taking care of details," he said.

That's generally how candidates are invited, with the exception of commencement speakers, who are invited through the university president's office, Miller said.

"We would invite politicians to speak at graduation -- Ann Richards is our commencement speaker this year -- but I doubt we'd invite any candidates," he said. "Any candidate speaking could be perceived as favoritism. We're being as fair and as unbiased as possible."

Latrice Sellers, president of the College Democrats, said an open invitation is always extended to the candidates when they're in town.

"We always have an open invitation for an appearance here. We would like to have speakers here, but the schedules are planned way in advance. None of the candidates came to Houston colleges this year. We did get Barbara Jordan (a former U.S. congressional member) to speak here, however, when Ann Richards was running. That was a big event."

Sellers said she hoped that no matter who won the primary, the presidential nominees would come to speak at UH."We don't endorse any candidate -- we're just students who have to get jobs after we graduate," she said.

Erin Zindler, a staff worker for the Bill Clinton campaign, said, "We do college events. That was a crazy, crazy week before Super Tuesday, and we had hundreds, if not thousands of requests for the governor to speak, and we just can't hit every stop."

Most campaign stops are determined by "how well the college fits into our schedule, and who gets the request in first," Zindler said.

Malcolm McNeil, staff worker for the Harris County Democrats, concurs. "The appearances are determined by how early the invitations are sent and how many people are anticipated to be at the event. An invitation close to our primary date would probably be accepted, but every candidate gets far more invitations than he can accept."

MOORE T-SHIRTS TO HIT NATIONAL MARKET

UH cartoonists snag T-shirt contract for strip A Little Moore

BY SHAYNE PATRICK BOYLE

The two-year-old Cougar comic strip A Little Moore will come to an end soon when its creators, David Eastman and David Wilborn graduate, but we may still see a little more of the strip.

Eastman and Wilborn, who work together under the pseudonym of D.T. Moore, have made a deal for the T-shirt licensing rights to A Little Moore.

The offer came from Hooler Imprints, a nationwide T-shirt wholesale marketer based in Utah, which is the same company that makes T-shirts for Rubes, a nationally syndicated comic strip.

A final decision has not been made on which episodes of the D.T. Moore strip will be made into T-shirts, but the creators, who will be graduating in May, mentioned that some people at Hooler expressed early interest.

One with a lady falling down the up escalator is a possibility. Two others are parodies of works by M.C. Escher and Michelangelo.

The Escher parody plays on the "Hands Drawing" picture. Instead of holding pencils, the hands are turning knobs on an Etcha-Sketch. The caption says, "Escher-Sketch."

The other one adds the caption "Pull my finger" to Michelangelo's "Creation" from the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

The T-shirts will give the strip national exposure rarely received by college paper strips.

Eastman said they were "incredibly fortunate" to have such an opportunity. "It's hard to see a lot of college stuff," Eastman said.

The Davids' collaboration, according to Eastman, "began as a lark" during their sophomore year. As Eastman tells it, he was dissatisfied with the quality of comics in the Cougar, with the exception of Harrison, which Wilborn began earlier that semester.

He enlisted Wilborn's artistic assistance and, as a joke, the two started the strip, The Smarties, which ran during the last three-and-a-half weeks of the spring '90 semester.

In retrospect, Eastman describes The Smarties as "a godawful piece of crap," and says he only admits to his involvement with it "because it was so long ago that no one remembers it."

The strip itself did not survive, but the writer/artist team of Eastman and Wilborn did survive, and so did their pseudonym, D.T. Moore. The name was taken from Dinty Moore beef stew, Eastman said, but the reason for choosing that name is "a rather blue inside joke I'd rather not go into right now."

The following fall, they began A Little Moore, which, according to Eastman, has been described (by his little brother) as "a lot like Larson (The Far Side), but stupider."

The strip -- with its word plays, sadistic jokes, visual gags and parodical allusions to television shows of the '70s -- developed a following and is now nearing its 200th installment.

Eastman has been the writer of all except 10, and Wilborn has illustrated all but three. But regardless of who officially performs each task, coming up with the final gag is a "two-way process" that depends on both, Wilborn said.

Some of their favorite cartoonists include Leigh Rubin (Rubes), Gary Larson (The Far Side) and Gary Trudeau (Doonesbury), but most of their ideas come from their childhoods, Wilborn said. That's why they have the occasional references to '70s culture.

Wilborn said they get some of their ideas from shows like The Brady Bunch and Scooby Doo, but readers don't always catch the allusions.

They tend to avoid political and topical humor, not to avoid controversy, but because they don't think it would be as funny, Wilborn said.

Still, they have caught some flack for some of their jokes. The "dog saloon," which depicted dogs drinking out of toilet bowls, was one of these. Another one showed a fireman crimping the hose while his partners are trying to put out a fire in a burning building in which people are trapped by flames. The caption said, "It was one of those things which seemed funny at the time."

Eastman acknowledges that some of their humor tends to be sadistic, but said, "I want people to know we're not really like that."

"We don't kick puppies," he said. "Not more than three times a week."

The most recent one to receive a negative letter showed a moth stealing a man's wallet and had the caption "Gypsy Moths." The writer of the letter felt it promoted a negative stereotype.

The Davids, however, said that in spite of the occasional complaint, the Cougar's editorial staff has never tried to censor their strip.

"We are very lucky to have them," Daily Cougar Editor in Chief Chris Payne said. "They are on par with a lot of syndicated comic strips."

For a short time, their strip was distributed nationally on a collegiate level by a small syndicate out of Maryland.

They have also "been trying without success to be syndicated on a real level in real newspapers with real budgets," Eastman said.

Barring a minor miracle, however, Eastman said the shirts will be the only thing to continue the strip after the end of the semester, and the two will go their "separate ways."

After graduation, Eastman hopes to get a job in the creative department of a local ad agency, and Wilborn plans to pursue a graduate degree in computer science.

CAM DISPLAYS BURSON'S PHOTOS

BY ERICKA SCHICHE

Revealing portraits depicting an array of individuals who represent the heart and soul of a community are part of two striking exhibits now appearing at the Contemporary Arts Museum.

Presented in predominantly neutral tones, "Nancy Burson: Faces" -- a mixed media exhibit that features black-and-white photographs, lithographs, daguerreotypes and photographic composites -- contains faces of those who have either been embraced or isolated in their communities.

One display in Burson's work, "1st and 2nd Beauty Composites," features the faces of Bette Davis, Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Sophia Loren and Marilyn Monroe, and a composite of contemporary actresses Jane Fonda, Jacqueline Bisset, Diane Keaton, Brook Shields and Meryl Streep.

In sharp contrast, however, is a photograph of a black child with a face full of pride and worry about his future.

The circles under his eyes seem to suggest a maturity, which is captured perfectly with excellent lighting.

One group that has seemingly latched onto Burson's heart are those who suffer from an ailment known as Progeria, which quickly accelerates the process of aging. The most provocative portraits of these subjects are those of infants who are captured during traditional childhood experiences.

One daguerreotype, which is dwarfed by a metal frame, features a proud mother holding her daughter. The sight of the infant, wearing a bonnet and a dark-hued dress, will present the viewer with the question of whether or not such superficial matters as craniofacial appearance affect their perception of a person.

Another excellent work features three happy boys wearing baseball caps covering their bald heads.

Nevertheless, Burson's compositing techniques, which have piqued the interest of FBI officials and those orchestrating missing persons campaigns, are the most intriguing in the exhibit.

In a collaborative effort with computer scientist David Kramlich, Burson developed an interactive computer installation -- known as The Age Machine -- that affords participants the opportunity to see themselves age.

Some of Burson's composites have decidedly political overtones. An example is found in her work "Warhead I," a silver gelatin print creation based on the number of nuclear warheads deployed by the United States, England, the then-Soviet Union, China and France.

What resulted is a composite featuring the chiseled facial features of Ronald Reagan and the bushy eyebrows of Leonid Brezhnev.

Other featured works worth noting include a photograph and composite of a missing child entitled "Etan Patz Update; The Dead," which features a composite of death masks of people; "Evolution II," a composite of a man and chimpanzee that looks hauntingly similar to author Stephen King; and two untitled works featuring ogre-like subjects.

"El Corazon Sangrante/The Bleeding Heart," which will be on display through April 26, is also a provocative exhibit. The bleeding heart, a recurring motif throughout the art work, is placed effectively in works that run the gamut from Super 8 films to oil murals and sculpture.

Juan Francisco Elso's work, entitled "Heart," is a piece made of clay and thorns suggesting a caged heart and a troubled soul.

"Anima," a two-minute film, captures the essence of what happens to groups or individuals who lose hope. In this 1976 film, directed by artist Ana Mendieta, the outline of a man's figure is seen as it is lit by flames. Gradually, the flames flicker away until there are no more discernable features.

Other noteworthy works include: Nestor Quinones' "Perseverance Against Destiny," a large, black painting to which a smaller, expertly-detailed painting is attached; Michael Tracy's sculpture, "Triptych for the Disappeared Ones," which is a mixed-media piece made up of iron swords, wood, glass and hair; works inspired by Frida Kahlo and Kahlo's own lithograph on paper entitled, "The Miscarriage"; and Javier de la Garza's "Welcome," an oil painting of several facets of Mexican society.

Also featured is a small room that houses the work of sculptor David Avalos.

Together, these exhibits are reflective of man's quest for identity, peace and fulfillment. Both provide the viewer with heartfelt messages from the defeated and the triumphant.

NOISY DUNES PIQUING CUROISITY OF SCIENTISTS

BY REISHA VIRATA

The answer to a 1500-year-old mystery of how sand dunes can emit booming sounds is being sought by David Criswell, director of the UH Institute for Space Systems Operations.

Criswell said when an avalanche occurs on a dune, it emits a loud sound.

"When a patch (of sand) is going downhill, it sounds like a piston engine bomber," Criswell said.

Tom Criswell, David's brother and a physicist for The Boeing Company in Seattle, Washington, also finds the sounds facinating.

The physicist described another sound that could be heard from the dunes as 'A very good bass viola being strummed, a very pure note--like an authoritative, very good player.'

"It's striking how very little sand is moving to make such a loud sound."

He said this sound can be heard through either forced or natural movement of a sand dune.

The sand in booming dunes is regular quartz sand, but the sand's surface is much smoother, a rare characteristic, David Criswell said.

The sand dune he studies is Sand Mountain in Nevada, a 300-400 foot high dune about 50 miles east of Reno.

Besides emitting sounds, Criswell said the dune has a natural beauty.

"It (Sand Mountain) picks up the color of the sky in the morning and evening," he said.

Criswell became interested in booming dune research when he heard at a seminar about how moondust, which has the consistency of face powder, would make a noise that could be heard a mile away when heated by the sun.

After the seminar, Criswell returned to a book he was reading and came up upon a chapter on booming sand dunes.

Criswell thought the process that made the dunes boom might be the same as moondust's.

Still, no one knows why or how the sand dunes emit such sounds, Criswell said.

Robert Finch, a UH mechanical engineering professor, thinks the energy source in the dunes should be studied to possibly help with the mystery.

"My guess is that something that ought to be investigated is the source of energy," Finch said. "Something causes the sound, and sound is a form of energy."

The thermal (heat) energy in the dunes might be studied, Finch added.

According to a paper co-written by Criswell, booming sand dunes have been known to occur in China, the Middle East, the Sahara Desert, southern Africa, Chile, the Baja peninsula of California, California, Hawaii and Nevada.