BE PREPARED: SCOUTS EYE KLINGLER, SENIORS

BY KEITH ROLLINS

Almost every NFL team has been represented at UH over the last couple of weeks.

That's right, it's draft time, and teams are making their final analysis of Cougar players before officially making their choices on April 28.

Last weekend, the Kansas City Chiefs' offensive coaching staff, along with Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer and owner Lamar Hunt, showed up to work out quarterback David Klingler.

Cougar Head Coach John Jenkins, who has been around the football scene for some time, said this is the busiest pre-draft season he has seen.

Other team scouts, besides the Indianapolis Colts, who took Jeff George as the first pick of the 1990 draft, are down to view the much- heralded Klingler.

Other players who've been tested include Mike Gisler, Glenn Cadrez, Tracy Gentry, John Brown III, Verlond Brown, Jerry Parks and Marcus Grant -- a junior who decided to forgo his last season of eligibility.

On Wednesday, the Atlanta Falcons took a look at Cadrez. On Tuesday, the New York Giants' Jerry Davis watched as J.B. Brown, V. Brown, Grant and Parks ran a series of 20-yard sprints and 10-up-, 10-across cutting tests. Next week, Cleveland Browns' Head Coach Bill Belichick is scheduled to watch Klingler yet again.

Jenkins attributes the increase in scouting activity to the team's switch to the dangerous run-and-shoot in 1987.

"Players who perform extremely well in college will have an opportunity to propel themselves in the NFL," Jenkins said. "Naturally, the name of the game in the NFL is the passing game, and we have the talent here to help teams improve."

And what is a prototype scout?

"It's usually guys who have been around the game of football for some time. An ex-high school or college coach like me or a retired player," Davis said.

*******************************************************

ANIMATION CELEBRATION: A FUN FILM FEST

BY MANUEL ESPARZA

What do you get when you cross a zealous girl scout with a caveman, a brave knight and a genetically incorrect woodland fellow? Four entries in The 4th Animation Celebration: The Movie!

From the distributors of the International Tournee of Animation, Expanded Entertainment has collected 90 minutes of the best short films from the silver screen's most versatile medium into a product that will appeal to all ages.

The movie's purpose is simply to show animation's different forms in an entertaining manner. The film's producers gathered material from around the world using animation industry professional recommendations. Films are selected for technique or content, and the end- product has enough diversity to appeal to all audiences.

The film's producers decided to include two special sections in this year's Celebration -- the winners of the MTV 1991 animation contest and a tribute to animator Fredrick "Tex" Avery.

MTV's 1991 contest for 30-second shorts identifying and solving a world problem will become familiar to MTV viewers because the network has plans to air them.

As the creator of Bugs Bunny, Avery's contributions were to animation what Guttenberg's press was to writing. To honor Avery, Expanded Entertainment co-produced several projects specifically for this movie.

The 16 films in the production cover a full spectrum of topics. However, the most provocative piece was done by a Bulgarian, Zlatin Radev. He created a society of cans that go through violent governmental changes in Canfilm. It comes complete with propaganda supporting the current regime, secret police rounding up dissenters, and graffiti-scrawling revolutionaries.

The scenes are extremely vivid. If this work had been done by an American filmmaker, it would have been just funny. But underlying the obvious humor is an unsettling feeling that art is imitating life. This 18-minute piece alone is worth the ticket price.

DNA Productions submitted the short Nippoless Nippleby, a tale about someone who is different. Nippoless is a woodland lad who was born missing a small part of his anatomy. He is shunned by the other lads who do not have his defect, but he shows them he was amply compensated for this deformity elsewhere.

No animation compilation would be complete without Bruno Bozzetto. The Italian animator shows us one man's victory over death in Dancing. Bozzetto may not be a household word, but animation buffs will be familiar with his sparse settings and concise stories.

Three pieces give tribute to Tex Avery by incorporating his sense of hyperbole into their stories. While not drawn in the same style, Dutch filmmaker Paul de Nooijer shot his live-action short Rrringg using an animation technique called pixillation.

John Schnall took the old Looney Toons cartoon with the wolf and the torch singer and reversed their roles.

Pre-Hysterical Daze is a 70-minute, live-action romp interspersed in "a day in the life of a caveman," storyline. Only, the caveman happens to have an unusual day fighting off dinosaurs.

Stephen Hillenburg's Green Beret exemplifies two problems in today's America. The first is about people who, although they are at home, refuse to answer their doors or answering machines. The second is about persistent door-to-door sales people.

Much effort went into setting the pace of the total production, which is very fast, and the film ends before one bothers to glance at his watch. Unlike the other Celebrations, this one has no intermission.

So be the first on your block to see the show, which opens Friday, April 17.

BARNETT'S NAME KEPT GOING BY NEW SCIENCE STUDY GROUP

BY REBECCA MCPHAIL

In a tribute to the late UH President Marguerite Ross Barnett, the recently formed Ross Barnett Political Science Association is carrying on in her name.

The organization was founded by Ingrid Williams, a junior political science major, who was dismayed by the lack of African-American students in her field of study.

So Williams decided to devote herself to the cause of increasing African-American student enrollment in political science studies.

"Before I began the association, I only knew of three other African-American students majoring in political science. Once we began, I found quite a few more. I'm now aware of 17 others," she said.

Morris Graves, associate director of the African-American Studies Program, also had a hand in the group's inception when his department hired Veronica Ferguson, a graduate student, to look at the role of the African-American student in a university.

"A Berkeley study showed that most African-American college students came out of predominantly black high schools. In that type of atmosphere, most of the students studied alone," Graves said. "At a university, they find they can't perform at the same level by themselves. By studying together, their grade point averages go up."

At this point, Graves approached faculty members about the possibility of serving as advisors for various study groups.

"The Ross Barnett Political Science Association came out of our desire to create a discipline-based organization where the students can discuss their particular discipline with one another, and the faculty advisor can engage the students in a higher level of thinking," Graves said.

This desire led to the formation of several other groups, besides the Ross Barnett Association, focusing on sociology and psychology, history and journalism.

Williams also believes in the positive effect of group-studying and admits she has a lofty goal for the organization.

"We'd like to see every member of the group graduate with a 4.0 GPA," she said.

The group currently meets once a week to discuss various political topics, help each other study and promote lectures by outside speakers.

In an effort to encourage political discussion, the association sponsored a speech Thursday night by Bill Quinn on the Hatian Revolution.

Williams is careful, however, to point out that sponsoring lectures is not the group's main purpose.

"Our primary focus is not to bring people to campus but, instead, to enhance our members' grades," she said.

Although the group is still in its infancy, Graves is pleased by the initial results.

"We're really excited about it. What we're seeing is an attitudinal change concerning how the students look at UH," he said. "They're making friends among group members and relating to the faculty members."

MORE BOOKS COMING: UH OKAYS LIBRARY FEE

BY FRANK SAN MIGUEL

Student leaders hailed a victory Wednesday when acting UH President James Pickering signed a bill which will help fund UH's ailing M.D. Anderson Library.

The library fee was part of the legislation passed by the 28th SA senate.

"It's good to see that the administration met the challenge that students have set," SA Speaker D. Lee Grooms said. "Students see the library as an important issue and are willing to pay for it. Now it's up to the administration to put its money where its mouth is."

During the March general elections, students approved, by an almost two-to-one margin, the establishment of a $15-per-semester fee to benefit the library. A $7.50 library fee will be assessed during summer semesters.

The legislation mandated that monies from the fee must go directly to the library. In addition, the administration is required to fund the library each year at increasing increments until it reaches 100 percent of recommended funding of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

In the fee's first year, administrators are required to fund the library at 91 percent of recommendations. In 1993-94, funding is to be at 96 percent, and by 1994-95, funding is expected to be at 100 percent.

No fee will be assessed in 1995-96 if the Students' Association's 31st administration determines it is unnecessary.

Grooms said the 28th senate was active throughout its term on library issues. Actions have included an ad hoc library committee and resolutions urging support for the facility.

"We've remained constant in our support of the library," he said. "This senate has really put forth an effort to keep the library issue alive."

Grooms said there was initial concern whether administrators would sign the bill and whether Pickering's signature was affirmative of students' wishes.

"I felt that Dr. Pickering was willing to sign it. Pickering is very pro-library," Grooms said. "I was unsure whether the university system would adjust to such a fee."

SA President Michael Berry said he, too, was pleased with the outcome. "It's about time," he said.

DISSENSION ENSUES OVER PLANS FOR MULTIPLEX

BY CROSBY KING

University planners are intent on combining the new Alumni Organization (AO) building with the new athletic facility.

Some would call it a marriage made in heaven, while others believe it's a shotgun wedding.

LeRoy Melcher, who has earmarked $5.22 million for the construction of the AO building, said the facility should keep its own identity.

"We don't want to be part of the athletics," he said. "We want our own building because the alumni represent all the colleges there. That's my thinking on it, and I've got a fair amount of chips in the whole deal.

"Now, the Athletic

Department wants to build this big building, and they want to put the alumni someplace in that big building. Everybody would think that's part of the Athletic Department, and we don't want that."

Most of the cost of the new athletic facility will come from John Moores' gift of $25 million to the Athletic Department. Melcher said the proposed indoor football field that came out of this donation isn't needed, saying he'd rather see an enlargement of Robertson Stadium.

"The man's got more money than he knows what to do with, and he's trying to dictate a lot of policies," he said.

Moores said he was concerned that Melcher's donation would not cover the total cost for the new AO building and the annual endowment for its maintenance, but he stressed that plans to make one complex out of the two facilities were not yet finalized.

"Everybody wants the same thing," Moores said. "The question is, do we have enough money to pay for it."

AO Director Frank Holmes said most members on the alumni facility's planning board were in favor of the combined complex.

"I think there's a consensus that people would like to see it work for the economy of scale and the way it would expedite the process," he said.

To accommodate the new athletic facility, university officials decided to move the baseball diamond across Elgin Street, next to the General Services building. But Athletic Director Rudy Davalos said planners this week proposed to simply rotate the diamond so it wouldn't interfere with the new complex.

"They decided, and I think rightly so, that if they ever needed that land (across the street) to build another building or whatever, then, of course, they'd have to tear down a baseball field," Davalos said.

The new complex is now slated to stand next to Hofheinz Pavilion, on the present site of the tennis courts. Davalos said those involved in the proposals included representatives from Facilities Planning and Construction, the UH System, the UH administration, AO and consulting architects.

UH Baseball Manager Bragg Stockton said he is glad the diamond won't be moved since the surrounding trees will remain.

ENVIRONMENTALISM A THREAT TO CIVILIZATION, PROF SAYS

BY CLAY CARPENTER

Pepperdine University economics professor George Reisman equated environmentalists with Nazis before a UH audience of about 100 people Thursday.

Reisman said environmentalists are "the most profound kind of toxicity," and that their ideas, "if acted upon, would mean terror and death" to society.

He said, like Nazis, environmentalists are not aware of the fact that they are destroying society.

"The average member of the Nazi party in 1931 just thought he was having a good time drinking beer and eating sausages," he said.

Reisman's speech, sponsored by the Activities Funding Board and Students of Objectivism, based its premise on the ideas of laissez-faire capitalist/philosopher Ayn Rand, author of such works as Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.

The underlying flaw in the environmental movement is a centuries-old belief that nature has an intrinsic value not related to its usefulness to humanity, Reisman said.

"It (Environmentalism) has fundamental philosophical problems. It logically implies hatred for man and his achievements," he said. "The doctrine of intrinsic value (of nature) is nothing but a negation of the doctrine of human value."

Reisman said a non-technological world puts humans at far greater risk than perceived environmental problems. Environmentalists hinder human progress by preventing development of energy sources such as offshore oil-drilling and nuclear power, he said, making the United States dependent on the likes of Saddam Hussein.

Hussein, Reisman said, would not have had the means for the military build-up that lead to the Gulf War if the United States had not provided such a high demand for oil.

Environmentalists seek a world without change "for the sake of the snail darters and spotted owls," he said. The value of species of animals should be judged by their usefulness to humans."

Reisman said many "alleged scientists" are involved in the "deadly poison" of environmentalism.

"It is equivalent to asking the advice of a medical doctor who is on the side of the germs, not the patient," he said.

Reisman cited several examples of environmental regulations he considered unnecessary and damaging. A person exposed to asbestos runs a greater risk of being struck by lightning than suffering ill effects from the asbestos, he said.

Products such as drinking water should not be taken off the market when hazardous chemicals are detected in them, he said.

"Fear of parts-per-billion of chemicals do not rest on science but imagination," he said.

He called the holes in the ozone layer "temporary."

"The apparent recent reduction (in ozone) is a direct result of vast amounts of hydrochloric acid (released) by Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines," he said. However, if the ozone problem persists, he recommends more sunglasses and suntan lotion.

He said the appropriate response

to global warming is to acquire

more air conditioners, and the

phenomenon may be a blessing in disguise, postponing the next ice age.

Reisman redefined the word environment, saying when humans develop the Earth, they improve their individual environments. An individual who moves from poverty to a clean, safe home with amenities like air-conditioning is living in an improved environment, he said.

"All of productive activity comes down to reorganizing (naturally occurring) elements for human life," he said.

He also likened environmentalists to communists, saying that "both claim freedom of the individual is destructive. I actually think the Greens (environmentalists) are below the Reds, if that is possible."

Reisman said all legislation based on the "intrinsic value of nature" should be repealed. He called colleges and universities "centers of civilization-destroying intellectual disease" and said environmentalism should not be taught.

Rainforest Action Group Director Curt Clemenson said Reisman's argument was riddled with flaws.

"I don't think the question (of nature's intrinsic value) is germane to the future of the planet. Environmentalists view nature from a holistic perspective; everything is connected to everything else," he said.

When a species is eliminated, other species in nature are put in peril, he said.

"He (Reisman) paints environmentalists as life-haters with a broad brush," he said. "I've just never met an environmentalist that is a life-hater."

Clemenson refuted Reisman's claim that the United States is the richest country in the world because it burns the most energy per capita.

"If that's true, then Saddam Hussein did Kuwait a big favor (by torching oil rigs)," he said.

Clemenson also said Reisman's philosophy of the intrinsic value of nature is false because humans seek to enhance the longevity of nature for themselves.

UH law student and environmentalist Deborah Rudder also said she was disappointed with the Reisman speech.

"To me, it was a waste of time. I thought we were going to hear a logical argument, and we didn't," she said.