STUDENT FEES MAY KEEP CLIMBING

BY CROSBY KING

Two weeks ago, Student Fee Advisory Committee members thought they had wrapped up their work for the next fiscal year.

They were mistaken.

Acting UH President James Pickering, reacting to a "rumor that was floating around Austin," told SFAC members at Monday's meeting he wanted a raise in student service fees higher than the one SFAC had suggested.

He advised the board to raise the student fee cap to $96 from $94, which was SFAC's proposed figure. The current maximum student fee is $90 per semester.

Pickering said Harrell Rodgers, dean of the College of Social Sciences, told him state employees may receive a 4 percent salary increase in fiscal year 1993. SFAC had calculated student service unit allocations and the student service fee based on a projected 2 percent salary increase.

Rodgers, who was not at Monday's meeting, said the Texas Employees Union was bargaining with State Comptroller John Sharp to get a 4 percent raise. He said this year, all raises would be across-the-board; no merit raises would be included. But he said the amount of the increase was "up in the air right now."

Pickering said if the raise stays at 2 percent, UH will gain more than $50,000 to be put in a general contingency fund, which may be used for equity adjustments.

Under its current recommendations, SFAC has opted to place $100,000 in a pool to be used for pay increases and equity. SFAC President Daniel Lurvey said that pool could cover a possible 4 percent pay increase, but it would leave no extra money for equity adjustments.

When Pickering was asked what he would do if SFAC kept the student fee increase at $94, he responded, "I feel so strongly (about the increase), that I'd take it to the Board (of Regents) at $96."

Pickering noted that raising more money from student fees may bring requests from student service units that are strapped for funds.

"If you raise it, the requests will come," he said.

Lurvey noted any hike in fees may be unpopular. "I think it goes without saying that students are opposed to increases," he said.

He said SFAC would meet again today to assess the likelihood that the increased fee cap will be needed.

"Dr. Pickering is operating on a rumor," he said, "and we need to find out how reliable that rumor is if we have to act on this."

Lurvey said if SFAC members vote to retain their current recommendation, the group has a legal right to defend their proposal to the Board of Regents.

He said Pickering approved all the other SFAC recommendations.

SFAC member Rodger Peters, a graduate biology student, said Pickering is relying on information that's nothing but rumor.

"He's wrong on making such a rash judgment on it," he said. "He may be using the rumor mill to back up the need for an increase in student service fees.

"If (the rumor's) not true, then all that he's done is allow student service fees to pick up the rest of the equity that we (SFAC) didn't pick up for this go-around."

*******************************************************

BEAT-POET GINSBERG TO RECITE ON CAMPUS

BY REBECCA MCPHAIL

Allen Ginsberg, poet, photographer, gay rights activist and chronicler of the Beat Generation, remains, above all, controversial.

"Two nights ago, I was out of state at a college, and some kids gave me some grass, and I wrote a little poem on it," the 65-year-old Ginsberg said.

Ginsberg will be at UH this evening to deliver a reading of his selected works at 8 p.m. in Agnes Arnold Auditorium 1.

Born in New Jersey to a mother who was a member of the Communist Party and a father with socialist leanings, Ginsberg's childhood was steeped in eccentric ideas.

As a freshman at New York's Columbia University in 1943, Ginsberg began associating with the group that would eventually become the nucleus of the Beat Generation.

William Burroughs, a Harvard graduate with a taste for criminal elements, and Jack Kerouac, an ex-Columbia football player and seaman, shared Ginsberg's left-of-center view of society.

"What we were doing is mistaken for rebellion, but we were actually looking for some kind of alternative consciousness, an alternative attitude toward life," Ginsberg said.

Both Burroughs and Kerouac went on to write novels which achieved some measure of literary distinction. Burroughs chronicled the gritty underground world of drug use in Junkie and Naked Lunch, while Kerouac celebrated the vagabond life of the Beats in On the Road and The Dharma Bums.

Ginsberg, on the other hand, chose to communicate through poetry. Works such as "Kaddish," a tribute to his dead mother, and "America," a scathing commentary of an America caught in the crossfire of McCarthyism, heralded him as the voice of youth calling for change.

But it was "Howl," published in 1956, which solidified his place in literary history. A bitter account of the pain endured by his disillusioned generation, "Howl" sparked an immediate reaction.

Not all of the response was positive, however, and Ginsberg was called on to defend the work in a celebrated obscenity trial, which made the pages of Life magazine. Although he won the case, Ginsberg is still wary of those who attempt to censor others' works.

The main focus of Ginsberg's ire is focused on conservative South Carolina Senator Jesse Helms, whose run-ins with the National Endowment for the Arts are legendary.

"Helms seems to be obsessed with homosexuality. He talks about it all the time, constantly pointing it out, bringing pictures of homosexual activity into the Senate. He's always mouthing off about it and sounding off. So that raises the question, why is he so obsessed with it?" Ginsberg said.

Particularly irritating to Ginsberg is Helms' alleged ties to the tobacco industry.

"The guy's un-American; he's obsessed with gay sex; he's on the sadist sidel; and he pushes the worst drug possible, cigarettes. So where does he get off?

"How come people don't realize him for what he is, a wind bag full of hot air just demagogically trying to get money out of conservative Bible readers," he said.

Ginsberg, who is for the legalization of marijuana, believes the drug helped him in the appreciation of art and beauty when he was younger.

"We didn't have the plague of frat boys dropping acid or taking grass for parties. This was for going to the Museum of Modern Art, looking at pictures and listening to Beethoven's last quartets," he said.

He holds a dim view of the Bush administration's war on drugs.

"Bush has been involved in drug smuggling all along. I think it's pretty obvious by now, to everybody. Bush and Noriega were in kahoots," Ginsberg said.

A tireless crusader for homosexual rights, Ginsberg is equally displeased with the current administration's stance on the issue of AIDS.

"The neo-conservative and the right-wing that are supporting Bush have been against women's rights and gay rights. They've been saying `Let those areas die. They deserve it for their un-Biblical conduct,'" he said.

Ginsberg has experimented in most art forms, including a stint as poet-percussionist on Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Review, performing onstage with the Clash and showing numerous photographic exhibitions.

Despite his many accomplishments, Ginsberg will most likely be best known for his Beat poetry roots.

"It was a whole wave of poetry beginning with Ezra Pound and William Carlos Williams," he said. "We didn't start anything; we just continued it."

COUGARS SWEEP AT HOUSTON PENTANGULAR

BY KEITH ROLLINS

When track and field is mentioned, sports fanatics usually think of great sprinters like Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell, Evelyn Ashford and Jackie Joyner-Kersee.

But famous names associated with sprinting are not the only athletes participating in a track-and-field program.

Athletes who throw the discus, shot-put or javelin, along with pole vaulters and high-jumpers are a vital part of the sport. Without the help of athletes like Charles Langston and Dawn Case, UH teams would not have attained their winning status at the Houston Pentangular Meet Saturday at Robertson Stadium.

Both the men's and women's teams won overall in a meet that pitted the Cougars against the Miami Hurricanes, Rice Owls, Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks and the Air Force Academy.

Langston, who has thrown up to 220 feet in the past but has been slowed by injuries, catapulted his javelin to first place with a throw of 192' 5". Following close behind him with a toss of 191' 6" was Mike Ventura.

Case contributed to the women's team total with a winning 5' 8" leap in the high jump. She was tied by Marnie Green, also from UH, to notch a 1-2 finish.

In other field event news, shot-putter Matt Daake took first place with a heave of 50' 6.5", and Jon Vines did his best Fosbury flop routine to gain top honors in the men's high jump at 7' 0,25."

"Jon Vines did an excellent job in the high jump, and everyone is starting to make a lot of improvement, including Charles Langston," Head Coach Tom Tellez said.

Kim Montgomery hurled her discus 143 feet, capturing first place and gaining a second-place honor in the shot-put with a push of 20' 0.25."

As usual, the sprinters, led by Olympic qualifiers Sam Jefferson and Michelle Collins, also finished well.

Jefferson took the 100m with a time of 10.54 seconds, only one-hundredth of a second faster than last week, when he claimed he was running slow. Keith Clarke finished third in that race at 10.73.

Jefferson also finished on top in a fast 21.05 seconds in the 200m.

"Sam did better in the 200m. The 100m was pretty good, but not as good as it could be. He is still making a couple of mistakes in the race, but I think he is getting better," Tellez said.

Collins decided not to run in the 100m but showed her skills in the 200m with a time of 23.13 seconds. A second 1-2 finish was accomplished when De'Angela Johnson crossed the tape at 23.87.

"I thought her (Collins) run was very good considering there wasn't much competition from the other schools out there," Tellez said.

The women's 4400 meter relay competition was stolen by the Cougars. UH, with two teams entered, placed one and two. The winning team consisted of Janice Gaines, Ceci Crockett, Kim McAllister and Gina Tames with a time of 3:41.18.

BASEBALL NOTEBOOK

BY MARTY HAJOVSKY

Barbecue was on the palate of the Cougars as they headed up to Austin last weekend to face the Texas Longhorns. After roasting the steers two out of three at home last month, UH went into Disch-Falk Field hungry for more.

The Coogs hit the road with their best chance to win a season series over Texas since taking two of three in Austin in the 1983 campaign.

The first-place Horns had other things on their minds, though, taking the weekend set from Houston two games to one. It was a showcase of the razor-thin difference between worst and first in the SWC race this year, some unearned runs, superb pitching and a few bats.

Texas won Friday night's opener 4-3 with three unearned runs, but the two split a Saturday doubleheader. UH took the first game on Saturday 4-1, but got shut out in the second 4-0.

Yet that one win should have been enough to give coach Bragg Stockton's team at least a small taste of satisfaction. In splitting Saturday's doubleheader, UH broke a 21-game losing streak in Austin and walked out of the state capital with a 3-3 season split against Texas.

You have to remember, Disch-Falk has been a house of horrors for the Coogs since 1983, when UH won a season series that included a Doug Drabek win over Texas' Roger Clemens.

In what has become a broken record of a season, outstanding Cougar pitching has consistently been erased by routine fielding errors.

On Friday night, Houston got seven and one third strong innings from freshman starter Justin Dorsey, who gave up only one earned run on six hits but got tagged with the loss. Dorsey, making his first SWC start of the year, deserved more than he got. Two UH errors accounted for three Texas runs. The lone earned run came on third basemen Clay King's triple in the first.

Maybe feeling a bit embarrassed by the whole episode, Texas tried to give it back with three late errors, but Greyson Liles flied out against Texas reliever John Dickens with Joe Betters on second to end the game.

"They fall hard, but all one-run losses do," a disconsolate Stockton said.

The next day, though, his team responded the way they have all season to heartbreakers like Friday's, with superb starting pitching. And who better to get the ball than last week's hero, Jeff Haas.

While a seven-inning complete game certainly can't compare to last week's 197-pitch, 15-inning effort against Rice, Haas didn't seem to mind.

The junior transfer from Indiana State picked right up where he left off, handcuffing the Horns with a dazzling assortment of sliders, heat and off-speed junk, earning a 4-1 decision. Only six Texas batters got on base with five hits and a walk, while Haas lowered his ERA to 2.42.

"You've got to change speeds with a lot of them, or they'll sit on their pitch and drive it," Haas said. "I think we (Houston and Texas) are comparable. I think our staff is just as good or better than theirs."

Texas proved that statement true by turning in a pitching gem of their own in the series' rubber game, a 4-0 victory behind Brooks Kieschnick.

Kieschnick hurled a complete-game two-hitter in his second start since suffering an ankle injury against the Cougars in Houston last month.

While it may not have been barbecue the Coogs got in Austin this weekend, a season split with Texas is something that a largely underclassman pitching staff can carry over to next year.

Speaking of next year, one thing that certainly won't be missed by anybody in the SWC is this season's grueling 36-game schedule.

Southwest Conference athletic directors voted last week to bring back the postseason tournament as well as the regular round-robin format of 18 regular season games that was used in the past.

With Arkansas' defection to the Southeastern Conference, the conference experimented with a double round-robin format in 1992, with each team playing six games against the other teams in the SWC -- three at home and three on the road. It was hoped that more teams would reach NCAA regional play, but with SWC teams knocking off each other over 12 weekends, only one to three SWC teams likely will have the necessary record to ascend to a regional.

While no coaches are shedding any tears over dropping the experiment, the back-to-the-future approach was not exactly what they had in mind either.

The coaches had proposed a 24-game SWC schedule, with a single round-robin tournament, but with four games over six weekends rather than the current three-game set-up.

"This isn't enough to test the validity of the better teams," Stockton said. "What you're going to end up with is tremendous parity at two through six. And you'll have a situation like we had last year with a lot of teams tied."

MATH SOFTWARE SETS SIGHTS ON STUDENTS' `KILLER COURSES'

BY KATHY ALLEN

Just as electronic spreadsheets and word-processing software revolutionized the business world, a new generation of mathematics software is revolutionizing engineering.

"This is like being on the beach in Hawaii and seeing a little wave out there. And if you know what's going to happen, you better get off the beach because that big wave's going to run over you. Right now, this is moving much much faster than we expected or are prepared to handle," said Frank Worley, professor of chemical engineering.

Computer programs that perform higher mathematics, such as algebra and calculus, at a level equivalent to that of a top-notch college freshman, have been around for thirty years, said Navaratna Rajaram, visiting associate professor of industrial engineering and director of Continuing Education.

But the programs were difficult to use. "Even if you were an expert engineer, you would have to devote a substantial amount of time learning how to use the computer," Rajaram said.

As a result, the Engineering Analysis and Computing I and II courses, taken by all UH engineering students, have been viewed by the students as "killer courses," designed to weed students out of engineering. But that was not the intention, Worley said.

Students are required to master math concepts, a computer programming language and an operating system within one class. They spend 60 to 80 percent of their time mastering the computer concepts when that part of the class only accounts for 10 to 15 percent of the course grade, he said.

"We want (students) to be able to understand the concepts and the principles involved in the engineering. We don't want them to have to spend their lives grunting out code and making sure the syntax is absolutely correct in order to solve the problem," Worley said.

In theory, it was possible to develop a computer program that was as easy for the engineer to use as an electronic spreadsheet is for the accountant, Rajaram said.

But until about two years ago, it was far too expensive. Today, with the explosion of computing power on the personal computer, the new generation of software combines mathematical capabilities and graphics with a friendly front end.

In a pilot program, Rajaram has restructured the two courses to take advantage of one of the new software packages, Mathematica.

With software like Mathematica, the student doesn't have to write any programming code, Rajaram said.

The student simply declares the function to be plotted, sets the limits and the program does the rest.

"The difference is like night and day because they come to classes and face their assignments without the sense of terror that they used to have," Rajaram said of the program.

To take further advantage of this type of software, John Glover, professor of electrical engineering, will lead a program this summer where 10 students will develop custom applications that will support other engineering courses, such as mechanics.

Additionally, he hopes to develop re-usable generic components, known as objects, that can be used as building blocks for numerous applications.

"The more people who gain this experience, the easier it will be for us to really make our engineering courses much more exciting and interesting because we will be able to do real-world problems. You don't have to have sanitized versions in order to keep the grunt work down to an acceptable level," Worley said.

In the pilot course Rajaram offered this spring, students were able to solve advanced engineering problems such as bridge truss design, material balance and electrical circuit design.

Glover added that in the past, instructors would draw multiple diagrams in an attempt to demonstrate a concept or relationship, and students typically got confused. But through the software's animation capabilities, the concepts are brought to life, and students are now much more likely to comprehend and retain the concepts.

Worley said the college initially planned to incorporate the software into courses in the spring of 1993, but "the students have jumped on this like it's a new piece of candy."

Worley said he is knocking on corporate doors for the $500,000 necessary to supply 75 new workstations powerful enough to operate the software.

LONELY STUDENTS USE TERMINALS TO NETWORK ACROSS THE OCEANS

BY MARCIA MARBURY

UH African-American students who feel they lack academic and moral support can now join an electronic computer network service designed to combat such problems and connect them with similar students.

"The AASNET-L is an electronic mail support system that links UH African-American students with similar students worldwide through computer dialogue. It is designed to lend support to African-American students who attend a predominantly white university, and who feel they have no one to turn to at their school," said Veronica Ferguson, AASNET-L list owner, member and graduate student in the UH School of Social Work.

"The network has allowed me to meet a Texas A & M engineering student and AASNET-L member who has come to depend upon electronic correspondence from me. The student said that he would be devastated if I discontinued communication with him because my correspondence lends support to him. He said he feels all alone at the predominantly white institution, Texas A & M," Ferguson said.

Ann McCoy, a network member and graduate student in UH's College of Education, said the most talked-about topic is the problems members encounter when personally relating to one another.

Although McCoy said she doesn't often engage in electronic dialogue with other network members because she prefers face-to-face communication, she enjoys reading what other people have to say.

"People seem to be more honest expressing their thoughts on the computer because they don't know you," McCoy said. "In addition, the AASNET-L can help people learn to view others as individuals and not generalize them, and make it easier to approach a stranger.

"It can be the first step for students to hook up with other networks."

Even though the AASNET-L can offer endless opportunities, from making contacts with people to lending support, there are only about 12 active members of approximately 2,000 African-American students enrolled at UH, Ferguson said.

"Some students have accounts but don't use them," Ferguson said.

She said African-American students may not engage in computer networking because they consider it impersonal.

"I'm not completely comfortable communicating with network members on the computer because I enjoy seeing people's facial expressions and hearing their voices fluctuate," McCoy said.

Alan Pfieffer-Traum, UH systems program specialist, said computer networking began in the early 1970s. Throughout the years, it has become a vital way for computer users to communicate with each other in a matter of seconds.

"It's one of if not the best way for people to communicate," Pfieffer-Traum said.

The mailing list is the most common way network members exchange information. Other network services assist students with instruction for computer programming, chemistry and engineering classes, to name a few. They can also provide research for professors, he said.

A network mailing list gives the names of computer network service members who send messages or information to other members. And with more than 100 different networks to choose from at UH, students and faculty can log on one of more than 700 computers on or off campus after becoming a network member, Pfieffer-Traum said.

Ferguson said subscription to almost any of the networks are free of charge. The fee is absorbed in students' computer fees, which are charged every semester.

Training for AASNET-L literacy takes one to two hours, she said.

Students interested in becoming members can pick up an application at the African-American Studies office located in room 312 Agnes Arnold Hall or at a campus computer center site.

"All students and faculty who apply for an account will be automatically approved, usually within a week," Ferguson said.

GAY SLUR LATEST CONTROVERSY SURROUNDING COLORADO COACH

CPS -- A football coach's statement that homosexuality is "an abomination of Almighty God" has angered the University of Colorado president and divided the campus about the limits of free speech.

The flap started when popular Coach Bill McCartney, a fundamentalist Christian, called a news conference on campus to express his support for a campaign to throw out a state law protecting gay men and lesbians from discrimination in housing and hiring.

McCartney is on the board of advisers of Colorado for Family Values, a group that wants to stop "militant homosexual and lesbian activists from undermining Colorado's family values" by gaining protected legal status.

Since the press conference, five demonstrations have been held on campus, the office of President Judith Albino has been picketed and more than 50 letters have flooded the office of the University of Colorado Daily, the school newspaper.

"The campus is divided," said Clint Talbot, managing editor of the Colorado Daily. "There are hundreds of people who are upset about what the coach said."

Others, however, support the coach's right to free speech, though he is in a highly visible position at the university, Talbot said.

"A lot of people don't expect intellectual acumen from a football coach," he said. "But do you lose your right to free speech if you hold a public position?"

Albino, who became president last May, said in a written statement that McCartney, or "Coach Mac" as he is known on campus, would not be punished because he "did not intend to imply university endorsement of the Colorado for Family Values organization when he was identified in the group's advisory board listing as CU's head football coach."

Albino promised in her inaugural speech to promote "greater cultural and ethnic diversity, not because it is politically correct, but because it is right."

The president has met with the coach twice "to clarify her expectations" of the coach's future behavior, said Pauline Hale, director of public relations.

"She (Albino) is very upset over what has happened. She feels the coach has the right of free speech, but not while he is representing the university," Hale said.

There is no evidence, however, that McCartney violated university policy. Albino issued a statement saying she believes that a university "should be a place where all ideas can be aired, and all people are welcomed. However, no one has the right to capture, through the force of his or her position, that public forum to promote private views."

In his most recent statement, McCartney said, "While I personally share the values held by the Colorado for Family Values organization, I have never intended my involvement to imply any endorsement of the group or its activities by the University of Colorado.

"I regret any misunderstanding caused by the use of my job title on the organization's materials," he added.

In the last three years, McCartney's teams have compiled a 31-5 record. The Buffaloes went to the Orange Bowl following the 1989 and 1990 seasons. After beating Notre Dame in the 1991 Orange Bowl, they were voted the No. 1 college team in the Associated Press poll.

McCartney has been the center of controversy at Colorado for many years.

In 1984, the American Civil Liberties Union obtained a court order that stopped the coach from forcing his players to say prayers before games.

In 1989, attempts were made to oust him for publicly supporting anti-abortion marches being staged at a Boulder abortion clinic.

In 1989, the McCartney family acknowledged that their 22-year-old daughter Kristyn was pregnant by the Buffaloes' star quarterback, Sal Aunese. The family stated that they went public to show there is an alternative to abortion. Aunese died of stomach cancer months before his son was born.

In 1989, McCartney said he believed that rape must include physical abuse to constitute a crime.

ALUMNUS, HAZARDOUS MATERIALS MANAGER, 42, DIES OF HEART ATTACK

BY MEAGAN MCGOVERN

Mark Williams Hunter, a UH alumnus and an employee of the campus' Environmental and Physical Safety Department, died of a heart attack Sunday. He was 42.

Hunter, a graduate of Spring Branch High School, served in the U.S. Army in Vietnam before enrolling at UH. He graduated with a bachelor of science degree in 1987 then received a masters in public health from the University of Texas School of Public Health.

In January 1990, Hunter came to UH to work as manager of hazardous materials in the Environmental and Physical Safety Department.

Timothy Ryan, director of the department, said Hunter was very involved with the clean-up of asbestos after the January E. Cullen building fire.

Hunter supervised both the asbestos coordinator and the hazardous waste coordinator.

"He decided which jobs of asbestos removal should be done on campus, and which should be done by outside contractors," Ryan said. "He was in charge of segregating chemicals for safe storage and disposal and oversaw the registered underground storage tanks."

When an underground tank leaked gasoline several months ago, Hunter was responsible for the clean-up, Ryan said.

"He was technically very sharp and liked by everybody," he said. "He was a real nice guy."

Hunter's wife, Rebecca, said the employees of UH "really came through. They've all written letters and sent cards and have just been wonderful. I received a letter from the president's office that said they would donate a book in Mark's name to the library. I thought that was so sweet."

Hunter is survived by his wife, Rebecca Claire; son Matthew, 12; son Clay, 8; parents Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Hunter; brother Jerrell Hunter; and sister Camilla Hunter.

ARCHITECTURE PROF ADMITTED INTO PRESTIGIOUS TRADE GROUP

BY RHONDA HECTOR

UH architecture Professor Peter Zweig recently received one of the highest honors given to an architect. He was accepted to the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects (AIA).

"It's where the profession looks at you and recognizes you've done something significant," Zweig said.

The Houston Chapter of the AIA nominates potential fellows and sends their portfolios to Washington D.C. where they are judged by a national jury.

The portfolios include photographs of their achievements (buildings), an outline of accomplishments and professional life (i.e. awards and publications) and 10 letters of reference from colleagues, clients and public officials.

"To be chosen as a fellow, a person has to demonstrate outstanding achievement in one or more of the areas important to the institute," Frimmel Smith, director of membership programs of the AIA in Washington D.C., said.

"Those areas include design and practice, education and research, service to the institute, public service and none or all of the above. Peter was chosen in the area of design and practice."

A total of 217 applications were received from across the United States, and of those, 123 were chosen to be fellows. There are now 1780 members of the College of Fellows.

Zweig is the fourth UH architecture professor (out of 25) to receive the honor.

"It's well deserved," Peter Wood, dean of the College of Architecture, said. "He's one of the best and most exciting ones (professors) we have around here. He should be in the Inventive Minds lecture series."

A professor at UH for 11 years, Zweig teaches the Texas Studio, a graduate level program.

"(The studio's) a concept I've had in education about teaching the idea of `place,'" Zweig said. "When friends or relatives come to visit you, where do you take them? That's the idea of `place.'"

Zweig's idea of good "places" to go are the Transco Fountain, the Galleria and driving through downtown Houston.

He plans to continue teaching the Texas Studio and maintaining his private practice.

"(Becoming a fellow is) just another rung on the ladder," Zweig said. "I work 24 hours a day, but I love this Texas Studio, and the students get a lot out of it."

Zweig, one of eight Houstonians to receive the honor this year, is a graduate of Syracuse University, where he received a masters degree in architecture.

In addition to the professional award, Zweig has been chosen as one of the three professors to receive the UH Teaching Excellence Award for 1992. The teaching award is $2500, and his name will be added to a plaque in M.D. Anderson Library.

HEAD OF WOMEN'S STUDIES TAKES PHILOSOPHY TO HEART

BY ERICKA SCHICHE

Some people find the sight of an ax-murderer hacking at his victim titillating, but for Cynthia Freeland, it is stimulating only as a basis for philosophical study.

"I'm particularly concerned with the way horror film depicts women and eroticizes violence against women," said Freeland, associate professor of philosophy and director of the Women's Studies Department. To date, she has produced writings and given lectures on such subjects as serial killers, vampires and Frankenstein.

At the age of 40, she has amassed a multitude of credits in such fields as aesthetics, feminist theory, photography criticism, the study of Aristotle and the relationships between philosophy and such disciplines as literature and science.

Before her stint at UH, Freeland taught at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and Princeton University, among others.

Freeland is applying experience she has garnered throughout the years to her work in the Women's Studies Department. The program's main feature is an interdisciplinary minor, which allows students to take courses in sociology, philosophy, English, anthropology, art history, psychology, history and German.

Nevertheless, what challenges her on a daily basis is the responsibility of strengthening a program -- which started last fall -- in such areas as visiting lecturer offerings and outreach. To date, the department has either hosted or co-sponsored many presentations on such subjects as women in mathematics, abortion and the roles women have played in history.

Freeland, who received her masters and doctoral degrees from the University of Pittsburgh and an undergraduate degree from Michigan State University, said women must be continually studied.

Freeland said her students are highly motivated, but are at times deficient in the areas of writing and ethics.

She said she is disturbed at how students in her ethics class embrace the practice of capital punishment. "I'm against capital punishment -- out of a class of 120 students, four students are against capital punishment, and I presume all the rest are for it," Freeland said. "Not only are they for it, but they're for it in a really strong way -- they would actually participate in shooting people or plugging in the electric chair."

Nevertheless, Freeland remembers with a certain fondness her days as a student, when she sat in the back row of a class in Aristotelian philosophy. "I became totally entranced by the quality of Aristotle's thought, which is a system that includes ethics, physics, biology, mathematics and metaphysics," she said, recalling her junior year at Michigan State University.

She listened intently to Professor Harold Walsh's lectures, shy and intimidated. One day, however, after she had received an A on a paper, she spoke to Walsh.

"He said, `So, are you going to get yourself Ph.d'd?,' and I said yes," recalled Freeland. "He said, `For you, that'll be as easy as falling off a log.'"

UH Sociology Professor William Simon said his friend possesses the qualities essential to maintaining leadership and succeeding as a teacher. Simon is impressed by the "sheer breadth of her interest in her competencies, which range from the study of Aristotle to pop culture." Objects in Freeland's office reflect her eclectic interests and personality. Artwork featuring Greek and Roman subjects adorns the walls of the slightly cluttered work space. The objects which speak to Freeland's foundation as an individual are three granite stones that sit atop her desk. "They remind me of the days when I grew up in Michigan: the woods, birch, pine trees, fresh air and the wild flowers," she said of the stones, which she gathered from an area near Lake Huron.

As one who has studied the relationship between literature and philosophy - participating in a forum on the topic held earlier in the spring semester - Freeland is also concerned about the way male critics have reviewed literary works. Citing Aristotle as the founder of literary theory in a writing entitled "Revealing Gender Texts" she wrote that the sexism in Greek society and contemporary societies has clouded men's perception of women.

"Questions about ways women write have developed along with critical evaluations of th literary canon and of ways in which established standards reflect cultural values of mostly male readers and critics, and often discount women's works," she wrote inb an issue of Philosophy and Literature.

When she isn't teaching, reading, administrating or writing, Freeland is making plans for the near future. She wants to orchestrate a seminar on women's health issues, take a semester off to live and work in California, include more non-white faculty members in the curriculum and apply for full professorship.