VETERAN SALARIES CUT FOR ROOKIE RESEARCHERS

BY MEAGAN MCGOVERN

Life's not fair, and neither are faculty salaries, some professors say.

One veteran instructor feels faculty pay is being slighted to pay new high-profile research professors top dollars.

UH salaries vary according to college and tenure. A full professor who has been here a long time expects to make more money than a teaching assistant.

However, colleges around the country are offering increasingly high starting salaries to remain competitive, allowing a newly hired Ph.D. to make more money than tenured faculty in some cases.

Texas Faculty Association President and 27-year UH engineering professor Harbhajan Hayre feels this trend, called salary compression, is unfair.

"We (TFA) lobby for general funds in Austin. The Higher Education committee in the House and Senate both say Higher Education already has 56 percent of the state budget. Universities are getting more funds -- it's just not going to the faculty."

Hayre said administrative misuse is one reason for the unfair allotment of funds.

"They're trying to build a bigger empire by hiring research faculty instead of teaching faculty. Every dollar they free up with a research grant is a dollar they can use to hire another little piggy for the president," he said.

Each full-time faculty member is paid from state funds, Hayre said. However, when a grant is awarded, the money goes to the school.

Hayre said students should demand full professors to teach basic classes containing no more than 25-30 students, an evening staff available for the 40 percent of students who take evening classes, and salaries for faculty that are set by rank.

"I marched when I was a student at Berkeley, and I would do it here," he said.

Hayre said these goals could be met if administrators were not cutting costs in all academic areas.

"I can't teach if I don't have chalk. It's gotten so bad that the custodial staff was told not to replace the chalk every day, since they were trying to cut costs. It's all a money game."

Chemistry professor Jay Kochi, however, said the extravagant salaries awarded to research superstars who bring in grants is warranted.

"What determines salary? In our market-oriented economy, it's the marketplace. If they paid me any less, I wouldn't be here," Koshi said. "If professor X in the English department doesn't like what he or she is being paid, let them leave.

"You're not going to get quality people without paying for them. If you want a quality educational facility, you have to spend the money. If they don't need me bad enough, they won't pay. People make the institutions.

"Our economy is based on what the market will bear. What does Hakeem Olajuwan make? I think the whole basketball team isn't worth the powder to blow them up, and yet they get paid outrageously. I don't know what salaries mean at all," Kochi said.

Hayre said while faculty costs have doubled in the last decade, going from $30.5 million in 1979-80 to $58.9 million in 1989-90, administrative costs have "ballooned."

In 1979-80, administrative costs were $500,000. In 1989-90, Hayre said, the cost was up to $4.05 million -- a rise of 687 percent.

"The costs have gone up seven times in the last 10 years. They keep hiring associate vice presidents and academic administrators," Hayre said. "Faculty teaching is not considered important by administrators. Both Stanford and Harvard, two of the best research institutions in the country, have said teaching is their top priority, and then research. UH doesn't agree."

Koshi said, "Is the money proportionally adequate? It's adequate if people aren't leaving faster than they're coming in."

Hayre equated UH's faculty pay woes with the age-old question of teaching vs. research.

"You would expect that with the state funding faculty salaries, professors would do teaching and research at the same level, but it's just not true. If someone gets a grant, then they're relieved of one or two of their courses, which are given to another faculty member. That faculty member then has no time left for research, and then the university says, `We can't pay you -- you're not doing research.'"

Roger Eichhorn, dean of the College of Engineering, said he believes salaries are fair.

"I will say salaries of all existing faculty have been done by merit evaluations over the years. The result of that process has led the salaries to where they are today.

"We have been unable to award some people on the basis of merit the way we would like to, and, of course, some people are going to be unhappy."

LOTTERY PAY-OFF SHELTERS WINNERS

BY REBECCA DEATON

Texas lottery workers are busy making final preparations to kick off the program that will make a few of the state's residents overnight millionaires.

But few Houstonians know that by the time the big giveaway begins this summer, the city will have already answered the dreams of hundreds of local residents through its own lottery program.

The winners of the Houston lottery aren't showered with cash, but they do receive something that will change their lives forever. Since 1985, the city's Urban Homesteading lottery has given low-income applicants the opportunity to win a home of their own.

When Martha Barron, 26, won her home in Houston's Northside in 1991, it was like a dream come true. Barron, who's married and the mother of two young sons, said it's difficult to tell who enjoys their new home more.

"They love it, especially the little one," she said. "He's always running around in every room."

Barron, a receptionist at the Magnolia Health Center, said she and her husband had been house-hunting for years, but they were afraid they couldn't afford to buy a home.

"HUD (the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development) was selling their vandalized foreclosures for a lot of money -- about $35,000 -- and then they needed a lot of repairs," she said.

When Barron heard about the Urban Homesteading program in 1988, she began applying immediately. She didn't win the first time, but she kept trying until she succeeded three years later.

Although the houses are free, lottery winners are required to pay for necessary repairs, averaging $20,000, said Kenneth Bolton, assistant housing and community development director.

In Barron's case, the house needed a new roof, carpet, doors, windows and other extensive repairs.

The house was given a thorough rehabilitation before they moved in last October, and the $315 monthly note the Barrons pay for repairs is less than the rent they were paying for a two-bedroom home in Denver Harbor.

And there's another big difference -- now the money goes toward a home of their own.

Barron said they can spread out in their three-bedroom house, which has a yard and plenty of room for storage. It helps that the couple's sons each have their own room because one is confined to a wheelchair with cerebral palsy.

"He has his own room, and he keeps all his equipment there, which makes it convenient," she said. "And he really likes it."

More importantly, the new home allows Barron's handicapped son to be independent. The school bus picks him up at the door, which would have been impossible at the house they rented.

"What makes it so good is that now I have a wheelchair ramp, so we can just take him down the ramp and put him on the bus," she said. "Before, in the house that we were renting, the stairs were real steep and we couldn't get the wheelchair down off the porch."

During its next lottery, the city will give other families like the Barrons the opportunity to own their own home in Southpark, Settegast, Northline and East End neighborhoods.

The properties included in the lottery are abandoned or foreclosed, single-family residences purchased with federal funds earmarked for low-income housing. These funds are available through Section 810 and Community Block Grant programs.

Applicants should be aware that the odds of winning the Houston lottery are not in their favor. Only 38 of the 1,500 applicants will win their own homes on April 24.

Bolton said Houston was recently cited by HUD for having one of the most successful Urban Homesteading programs in the nation. He attributed the program's success to the hard work and determination of its winners.

"I don't believe that to date, we have had any defaults," he said. "I'm sure there have been some along the way who went through periods where they were delinquent in their loan payments, but they made them up."

Applicants for the lottery program must be credit-worthy, fall within the city's income guidelines, be Houston residents and not own other residential property.

Additional information on the Urban Homesteading lottery is available through the Mayor's Assistance Offices.

*******************************************************

EX-COUGARS LOOK FOR BIG BUCKS IN NFL DRAFT

COUGAR SPORTS SERVICES

The poking and prodding are over. The individual workouts are winding down in preparation for the multi-million-dollar crapshoot known as the NFL draft.

For 10 UH Cougars, the dream of being drafted by a professional team is about to come true. In reality, only half will get drafted. The rest will roll the dice of free agency in the summer.

Wide receiver John Brown III, place-kicker Roman Anderson, running back Ostell Miles, defensive end Glenn Cadrez and quarterback David Klingler are the only Cougars that will probably be picked in the 12-round draft held Sunday and Monday.

Of the five, only Klingler is assured first-round status. But nobody knows where in the first round, not even Klingler.

Klingler is considered the top quarterback prospect in the draft. Many scouts said Klingler could go anywhere between the fifth pick through the 20th pick overall. Kansas City, Indianapolis, Cleveland, New England, the New York Giants and Jets, and Pittsburgh have shown the most interest in acquiring Klingler.

Kansas City has spent the most time looking him over. Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer and Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt were in town looking at Klingler.

Even though the Chiefs were impressed with Klingler's ability, Schottenheimer said the team would not trade up to get Klingler.

But the Chiefs are desperate for a quarterback. They lost Steve DeBerg to Tampa Bay. They have Dave Krieg, but he's 34 and inconsistent. Back-up Mark Vlasic is not a top-notch starter. Kansas City will try to get Klingler if he slips past the 10th pick.

At 6-2, Klingler runs a 4.75 in the 40-yard dash. He has a strong arm and the knack to throw on the run. Still, pro-scouts agree Klingler will need some time to develop. They say he has to work on his poor footwork and dropback mechanics.

UH Head Coach John Jenkins said, "His mechanics? Look at any quarterback when he scrambles, and he's not going to look pretty. He's probably the most athletic guy I've seen getting out of traps."

The scouts can question Klingler's mechanics, but no one can question his toughness. Last year, Klingler suffered a deep thigh bruise, knee injury, inner-ear infection, flu and bruised ribs.

Yet, time and time again, he led his team to victory.

In a Nov. 16 game against Rice, Klingler came off the bench with bruised ribs and a bad leg to throw for five touchdowns in less than two quarters.

Texas A & M blitzed Klingler all game long and sacked him 10 times. After the game, linebackers Quentin Coryatt and Jason Buckley said they were impressed with Klingler's ability to take a hit and come back for more.

"I learned a lot two years ago, when things went so well for the team," Klingler said. "And I also learned a lot last year through all the adversity. I'm glad I came back."

There's no question about his courage, Schottenheimer said.

Courage is something Klingler won't need when he signs on the dotted line. No matter where he goes in the first round, Klingler is assured of a high roll of the dice and will become a millionaire. Other Cougars won't be so lucky.

Brown and Cadrez's stocks have been rising in the off-season. Brown had a disappointing senior season. He was slowed by injuries and never seemed to master the Run-and-Shoot. But he showed flashes of brilliance in the post-season.

Brown can make the spectacular catch, but has trouble with the easy ones. The 6-2, 200-pounder is expected to go by the sixth round. He was clocked at 4.5 in the 40, but has been known to run a 4.3. He can develop into a good pro, but he must work on his passing routes and hands.

Cadrez is projected at outside or middle linebacker. He was not invited to the Indianapolis Combine in February because at 6-2, 240 pounds, the scouts said he was too small for a defensive end. However, through individual workouts, Cadrez has caught the eyes of the scouts.

Surprisingly, Miles rated well in the combine. The running back was thrown off the team for skipping classes. The scouts consider him a late-round pick.

Anderson, the NCAA all-time leading scorer, could be drafted late. If not, expect him to be reunited with his old coach, Jack Pardee, of the Houston Oilers.

Other Cougars hoping to get drafted are offensive guard Mike Gisler, punter Charles Langston, cornerback Jerry Parks and wide receivers Verlond Brown and Marcus Grant.

For these players, just rolling a snake eye would be a Godsend.

NATION'S COLLEGES MAKE BIG PLANS FOR EARTH WEEK

COUGAR NEWS SERVICE

Many of America's college students are turning "green" to celebrate Earth Day 1992 with festivals, seminars, concerts and vigils as they rally to support the environment, the No. 1 issue of interest among young adults.

This year, the April 22 celebration is closely linked to the Earth Summit, also known as the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development, a 12-day conference in Brazil slated for June 1-12 that has been widely publicized on most U.S. campuses.

"Earth Day has become more like an `Earth Week,'" said Denise Greene, a spokeswoman at Earth Day USA headquarters in New Hampshire.

Many activities started in March and will continue until the summit convenes in June, she said.

Satellite broadcasts promoting the Earth Summit have appeared on many U.S. campuses, and one two-hour broadcast is scheduled for April 26, the last day of Earth Week. Another broadcast will cover the summit from Brazil.

At the University of Iowa, Victor Arango, a member of the United Nations Association-USA, a group heavily involved in environmental education, said Earth Day and the Earth Summit have sparked the imaginations of many students.

"We're putting signs on spots where people have worn a trail through a yard to cut corners that say, `How Would You Like Someone To Walk on Your Wounds? Mother Earth.'

"They'll be catchy, like one we are posting on bus stops that says `Thank You for Using Mass Transportation. It's Good For Me. Mother Earth,'" Arango said.

Other campuses are celebrating with visits from environmentalists of worldwide acclaim.

At Florida Atlantic University, Jane Goodall, whose work with chimpanzees in the wilds of Africa has placed her among the world's most prominent naturalists, will host an April 20 slide show on chimpanzees.

Goodall, who has published five books of her famous 32-year study of chimpanzees, is the creator of the longest-running field study ever conducted of any group of animals in their natural habitats.

At the University of California at Berkeley, students are kicking off Earth Week with an "Eco-Motion Parade" that will feature alternative modes of transportation.

Earth Day advocates at Berkeley also are sponsoring energy clinics, where people are educated on how to conserve energy in their homes.

At Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pa., nine ecology-minded students will be Earth Day celebrities for living in the "Treehouse," a special housing residence for students interested in learning about conservation.

Last semester, the students cut their water conservation in half; next year, they hope to install a solar water heater in the house.

In February, the University of Iowa produced the first National Teleconference on the Earth Summit, a two-hour satellite broadcast program that featured panel discussions, video clips from Turner Broadcasting's "Save the Earth Campaign" and information on a national letter-writing campaign to public officials to support the summit. The program attracted an audience of 20,000.

EARTH DAY GOES UNNOTICED

BY RHONDA HECTOR

Today is the 22nd annual Earth

Day, so what's going on around campus?

Nothing.

In this day of environmental awareness, it seems the concern for the environment, at least at UH,

has dwindled.

Earth Day has been acknowledged on campus, but compared to other colleges, concern for the environment is lacking.

"I haven't heard of anything going on," said Eric Miller, director of Media Relations. "But that doesn't mean something isn't."

UH libraries printed up a flier listing books in their inventories on the environment and environmental studies in observance of Earth Day.

Although they are not doing anything else, Team Earth has displayed a poster in the University Center wishing everyone a "Happy Earth Day."

The Environmental Awareness Group (EAG) at the College of Architecture has nothing planned for today.

"Unfortunately, we aren't doing anything," said Geoffrey Wheeler, president of EAG. "We're so wrapped up in all our schoolwork that we don't have time."

There is a new environmental group being formed on campus called Future Alternate to Safer Transportation (FAST), Wheeler said.

The statewide student group, which already has chapters at other colleges including Baylor University, the University of Texas and Texas Tech, is promoting a rail system that would connect Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio.

"They (FAST) are trying to persuade students to make a positive vote to pass legislation to have this (high-speed rail) built," Wheeler said.

DISABLED STUDENTS LEARN VITAL SELF-DEFENSE FORMS

BY MELISSA NEELEY

Campus deficiencies may prevent disabled students from reaching safety if assaulted, a self-defense instructor warned a group last week.

Charly Schultz, who was bed-ridden for almost two years after a car accident, was invited by Handicapped Student Services to give students advice and demonstrate methods of self-defense, said Dale Novick, assistant coordinator of Handicapped Student Services.

Last week was Disability Awareness Week at UH, and Schultz spoke Friday to a few students who were motor-impaired, Novick said.

"I was in a wheelchair for over a year, and the doctors kept giving me medication for my pain, but they did nothing for me physically. I finally decided to throw all those pills away and start my own physical therapy. I started from the toes and kept going up," said Schultz, who teaches martial arts at various locations around Houston.

Schultz was an excellent choice to teach self-defense to students with disabilities since she has more empathy for the disabled because of her previous experiences, Novick said.

"I think that it is critical for people having disabilities to know how to defend themselves. They may be targeted more because they look more vulnerable than non-disabled students," said Novick, who is taking a self-defense class from Schultz.

Taking preventative measures is the key for initial defense against assault, Schultz said. Going directly from place to place instead of hanging around the parking lot is another precaution which should be taken, she said.

Schultz also recommends traveling in groups or pairs to reduce the risk of being susceptible to attack.

Disabled people in motor wheelchairs can defend themselves from assailants by using their chair as a weapon. Some chairs weigh up to 300 pounds and travel speeds of 8 mph, she said.

If the disabled person could run over his or her attacker, he or she could do considerable damage and get away fast enough to avoid further confrontation, she said.

Weapons such as miniature canes or retractable night sticks can be used to knock a knife from the attacker's wrist, she said.

"A lot of people have this omnipotent attitude that nothing can hurt them. Those are the same people who you hear about getting victimized. Elderly people, women and disabled people are the ones most likely to get attacked since the attacker thinks that they won't fight back," she said.

Myra Shoemake, a UH student who uses both a manual and an electric wheelchair, said she was almost attacked last summer after attending a parade.

"I was scared out of my wits. I was around the UC, and it was really dark because it was 1 a.m. and there aren't many lights surrounding the UC. Someone came out of the trees and started following me. I went across the street to the Hilton as fast as I could since it was well-lighted. He followed me to the lights and then walked away," she said.

Schultz also warned the disabled to be wary of the campus' obstacles to safety.

For example, many of the automatic doors around campus do not work, which can cause a disabled person to be locked out of a safe environment if trying to escape an assailant, she said.

Many of the sidewalks on campus are uneven and could aid an attacker if a disabled person could not get his wheelchair over the incline of the sidewalk, impeding escape, she said.

Because of poor campus lighting, Shoemake broke the heel of her left foot in May 1991.

"I was coming off the back ramp of the UC, and it was raining and dark because it was 9:30 p.m. I ran into a pillar since there were only three lights there, and one wasn't working," she said.

Unnecessary expense could have been avoided if the UC had been better lighted, she said.

"Some things could definitely be improved around campus to strengthen security for all people, including disabled people," she said.

SFAC REJECTS ACTING PRESIDENT'S PROPOSAL

BY CROSBY KING

The day after acting UH President James Pickering requested a higher increase in student service fees, the Student Fee Advisory Committee met briefly and rejected his proposal.

Voting members of the committee all agreed their original recommendations were sound. SFAC had proposed an increase of the student service fee cap to $94 from $90, but Pickering said another $2 is needed to pay for a possible 4 percent raise in state employee salaries.

"The way I see it," said Daniel Lurvey, SFAC chair, "Dr. Pickering's basing this on a rumor, and no matter how reliable that is, it's still a rumor."

SFAC member Harry Walsh, Rusprofessor of Russian, said the board had three options to consider:

Recommend Pickering's proposal,

Reject his proposal, or

Do nothing.

Lurvey said the last two choices were essentially the same thing, since the board would have to deal with the raise if it came to pass. But he noted that would not be a problem because SFAC could pay for such an increase by sacrificing equity adjustments.

Dean of Students Willie Munson said accepting Pickering's idea could soften the blow of future salary increases by keeping a reserve on hand for such expenditures.

"Maybe you could put the stipulation on (SFAC's recommendation) that you support (Pickering's proposal) to the extent that fund could be used for the raise," he said.

But Walsh said no realistic scenario exists for the 4 percent raise.

"Why should we, under any circumstances," he asked, "recommend that (the student service fee) be raised to $96? The president's decision is based on the president's reading of the tea leaves coming from Austin."

Lurvey said since SFAC represents students, all fee increases should be kept at the lowest amount necessary.

Pickering will take SFAC's recommendations and his own proposal to the Board of Regents meeting today. Lurvey said he would try to attend the meeting to let regents know SFAC members strongly disagree with the acting president.